Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• joeboumpsjoeboumps Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 4 cyl ranger and have never put anything but regular unleaded in it. I will try high test next time and see if there is a difference.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I recently bought a '94 B4000. it's a nice truck in most ways, but the handling is vague and it tends to lose adhesion in tight corners, especially if the pavement is rough.

Any suggestions for improving handling w/o getting radical? My '84 Mitsu pickup handles much better, so it's not simply a matter of being a truck.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    What kinds of tires does it have?
    Truck tires: Wildcat M&S, on 14 inch OE alloys
    Truck tires: Wildcat M&S, on 14 inch OE alloys
  • jeeplessjeepless Member Posts: 5
    I have some hood decals left over if anyone is interested. These are a nice decal that fits on the cowl of the edge series Ranger hood. I have them listed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2431397251&category=33641&rd=1

Take a look, they add a sweet look to your 4.0L.
  • jeeplessjeepless Member Posts: 5
    I have some hood decals left over if anyone is interested. These are a nice decal that fits on the cowl of the edge series Ranger hood. I have them listed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2431397251&category=33641&rd=1

Take a look, they add a sweet look to your 4.0L.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    According to my owners manual, my 2003 Ranger with 4cyl and 5 spd manual tranny, the tranny takes some kind of ATF fluid instead of the usual gear oil? did I read it correclty?
  • splitloadsplitload Member Posts: 3
    You read it right, been a while too, put ATF in my wife's 93 Explorer 5 speed.
  • blyndgesser1blyndgesser1 Member Posts: 17
    [I posted this query on the problems list before noticing that no one else had posted there in two weeks, so please forgive the duplicate post.]

Several years ago I owned a 2000 SuperCab 3.0 automatic and enjoyed it greatly. Sold it for financial reasons in late '01. Now I've got "the fever" again. I'm looking at an '04 regular cab this time, with the base four-cylinder and a five-speed. Haven't driven it yet, because I didn't want to spend too much time wrangling with a dealer at this stage.

My question: Do any of y'all have the (new) 2.3 with 5-speed manual? What's your impression of the power? Any reliability issues? If I buy this one, it'll be used as a commuter vehicle with occasional trips to the flea market, not regular heavy hauling, and it'll be replacing both a '90 Nissan 240sx and an '83 Mercedes turbodiesel. The daily round trip is about 80 miles, so reliability and economy are both important.

TIA,

Stephen
    somewhere in central Georgia
    plain jane 4cyl 5sp gets about 25mp average with 28+ highway usage. Power is decent but you will not win any dragrace. I only have about 7k miles so no idea about reliability. I do commite about 50 miles or so roundtrip. I was very suprised how comfertable the seats are for a cheap basic truck.
    hate the turn signal cancel
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. Anyone out there own a Ranger Supercab 4X2 w/3.0 and 3.73ls rear end. The reason I'm asking is thinking about trading in my '97 F-150 for something smaller, just don't need that bulk anymore. Will be using Ranger for light hauling and towing only on occassion. The truck would be an automatic, was impressed with the ride and handling, and the V6 seem to have decent performance. I am aware about the pinging issue w/3.0. Any input appreciated. Thanking in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Paul
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    Campout - I have a 2003 Ranger regular cab, 2X4, 3.73 rear end, 3.0 V6, auto, styleside shortbed. I am happy with the truck so far (3250 miles). Fine in town and on the highway. I am not aware of the pinging you mention, I am very pleased with my engine choice. I also have the limited slip rear axle.

On another forum subject, I have the Ford drop-in over the rail bedliner. My brother-in-law mechanic prefers this to a spray in liner, says it protects the bed better when carrying heavy items and that drainage is not a problem. Time will tell on this one.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Have any of you experienced this? I have gotten into my '02 Ranger XLT FX4, rolled my window down (after a rain shower or a humid night before) and at the first stop, had water pour into the cab right onto the area of the door where the power window buttons are and onto my left knee. Drives me up the wall...especially since its happened twice on my way to work in a suit.
    I am unable to run my 2003 4cyl on regular gas (86 octane), it pings all the time. Once I put in midrange gas (89 octane) it runs just fine.
    get those went shades, it will help
  • joeboumpsjoeboumps Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 2.3 litre 4x2 auto and it runs just fine on 87 octane. I average 22 mpg with the a/c running all the time.
    but gets 28+ mpg, go figure
    Sounds low. I don't know why certain areas get a 1 or 2 octane drop across all levels of gasoline, but I think you should use 87 or better. Consult your manual and/or gas tank cap for the proper octane.
    regular here is 87, it pings on that, but with midrange 89 it runs fine, so I just use midrange.
    You might need to have the timing checked, and/or have the dealer investigate.
  • martinlwmartinlw Member Posts: 7
    Is there a way to tighten a Ranger's visor? Mine swings too freely when I turn.
    the dealer said he can check the computer to see what octane the engine is set up for, I guess even that is programable
  • clintonjohnclintonjohn Member Posts: 99
    I've noticed that my 2000 ranger 2.5L 4 cylinder runs better on midgrade. I've had several times where the engine seems to hesitate almost to the point of dying when starting in first gear. I've also noticed that if i put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner the engine seems to run better. Don't know why, especially when everyone seems to think little of the 99 cent cleaner, but it somehow seems to help. I've also noticed my fuel economy slightly improves when i use midgrade, which helps offset the extra 10 cents/gallon.

Are you in the mountains? I believe the octane requirements are lower in higher altitudes.
    No, I am upstate NY, we have hills not mountains. The dealer said he has to see if the computer is set to 87 octane. I think what they will do is retard the timing. I can not retard it myself, it has to be done in the computer. The fuel injector may have an effect on pre-detonation and could be lowering the detonation point.
  • goldrangergoldranger Member Posts: 54
    FYI, my 1990 2.3 had what the dealer called an "octane adjustment" it was a small black plug that was actually a jumper. When you pulled it out it opened the circuit and retarded the timing 2 degrees. That was the only adjustment there was on that engine. After 140K I guess after that many miles the carbon raised the compression slightly. Once removed no more pinging on regular gas. There was no noticeable loss of performance. (There really wasn't much to start with)

Goldranger
    Where was that black plug???????
    I decided not to take it in for now, since the weather turned colder there is no more pinging, I guess it likes the cooler more dense air. Will take it in in the spring when the warmer weather comes and starts pinging again.
  • goldrangergoldranger Member Posts: 54
    Its been awhile but I believe the plug small black plastic with two leads was over on the right side near the fan motor. Look what looks like a plastic sleeve with a black end on it. Pull the end off and you retard the timing 2 degrees. As previously mentioned this was on a 1990 2.3L It worked.

Good Luck
    Suggestion for Ford interior designers...next time you update the Ranger's interior, please add lights to the power window and lock buttons....they are not as intuitive as you might think, especially at night. I'm constantly running my hand down the door panel trying to roll a window up/down... Also, would be nice if the overhead dome light came on when you turned the truck off like most cars/trucks do nowdays.
  • frohrsfrohrs Member Posts: 17
    Hi there
    I have a 95 ranger 2300 and it has a missfire in cyclinder#2. I scanned the computer & the code it pulled up was missfire cyclinder#2 like if I didn't know that allready. I have new plugs, wires & all the electrics checked out good. I replaced the injector thinking that it might be hanging open. Still the same results missfiring in cyclinder#2. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    But you probably already knew that. The 2300, or 2.3l should be a non-interference motor (at least my '93 was). But you could have valve problems. Hopefully it's just a seal or a bit of carbon build up preventing it from sealing. Cheap fix could be some cleaner/carbon remover (RxP) run through your fuel. Otherwise it'll require some mechanic time to diagnose and fix.

Speaking of Dome lights, I just replaced my 2003 Edge's dome light with one off a 96 Mustang. Why? Because my regular cab edge had a basic dome/cabin light and no map lights. Good thing was Ford did run the wiring for the map lights, but I had to fabricate the connection to my new dome light fixture. Works awesome, and was a fun thing to do.

Next up, I'll be taking apart my third brake light. You see, the Rangers with a solid brake light (all red) for the third brake light only have one bulb installed, but the actual lense has mounts for three bulbs. Presumably, the lens comes off the same mold of the lenses with Cargo or reverse lights build into them.

Ford also pre-ran the wiring for the cargo lights, but since my lense is completely red, I'll be adding the two outside bulbs, and making them supplemental brake lights AND turn signal lights. Should be another fun weekend project, that'll take little more than some wires, and a little dismantling.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    It's awful quiet out on the B Series Board so I thought I would post here also. I've got a 2002 B4000 4X4. Been happy with the truck. I've got 33k miles. The stupid Goodyear Wranglers are already going bald, which seems extremely short to me.

I've never been real happy with wet weather traction (not hydroplaning - low speed grip). I think the LSD and all that torque from the 4.0 engine makes this problem worse, because it is ridiculously easy to break both rear tires loose and fishtail on wet pavement.

I'd like to replace them with something that will last longer, grip better on the wet, handle well on dry pavement and that is good off road and not cost a fortune. Any suggestions?

I think the tires are 245/75 R16s. Has anyone with a 4x4 tried to go to something bigger without changing the wheels?
    Many have gone bigger, some have even put as large as 31" tires on without any torsion bar cranking. They might have to remove a mud flap or two to prevent rubbing during extreme turns, but that's it. Of course larger tires will make your speedometer innacurate, but usually no more than 5-8% off. There are many calculators out there on the net, just search for Tire Size Calculator, and you'll know exactly how much your prospective tires are wider, taller, or larger in circumference.

Sorry I can't recommend any right now, My truck only has 6,000 miles currently... :)
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    If you have 245X16, you can go up to 265X16, with a slight rub in full articulation. Do not think they make a 31X16, but the 265 is between a 31 and a 32 inch tire.

I woiuld suggest BF Goodrich AT KO's. Best all round tire out there. I got 52K off my set, look sharp, perform well.

I currently run Goodyear MTR's but they are not for everone. I might go back to the BFG's next go around.
    Thanks for the input.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    If you have the 7.5 inch or 8 inch rims, they are fine for a 265X16 or a 31X10.5X15 tire.

BFG AT KO's are sharp and good allround. Goodyear MTR's are very agressive off-road tires, kind of a rough ride on daily driver...but they are by far the best off-road tire, IMHO based on a weekend at Tuttle Creek, KS off-road vehicle park...walked out of mud that would have killed the truck with BFG's.

I get no rubbing on 31X10.5X15, a guy I know with 265X16 tires rubs a bit.
    If you go bigger, remember, lower air pressure for bigger tires.

I run around 29-30 lb of air on 31X10.5X15 tires.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    I replaced the 245/75r16 tires on my Ranger with 265/70r16 Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos. These Bridgestone Revo's are the most highly rated A/T tire out there - yes, even better than the BFGs. The 265/70 size is only .5% taller than the stock tires, keeping your speedometer and odometer readings accurate. They do look a little beefier on the truck, ride smoother, and are quite quiet. I highly recommend the Revos!
  • razoredgerazoredge Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Edge 2wd ext. cab. I like midsize trucks and enjoy this truck very much. I decided to go with the 4.0 and I think you should consider this option. The mileage is at least as good as the 3.0. I get 19+ around town. Get the tow package with this motor and the 3.55 rear(I got LSD because of all the sand and slippery boat ramps). This package has the highest tow rating.
  • bradkurtzbradkurtz Member Posts: 24
    Jeep is coming out with a 2.8L diesel with 7700 lbs towing and 28 MPG in the Liberty. Sounds like something Ford should have in the Ranger. Do they offer this ex-US? Why not here? Why do we have to get crappy mileage if we want a tow vehicle, when a small diesel takes care of this problem?
  • brntbrnt Member Posts: 1
    Is your truck auto or manual transmission? Have you had a chance to pull your boat yet? I am looking to purchase a truck and was considering a 4x4 because of slippery boat ramps and the occasional winter storm here in NC. Is your boat/trailer less than 3000 lbs? I have located two trucks that I am interested in. One is a 2003 3.0 edge 4x4 and the other is a 2004 4.0 xlt value package 4x4. I could save a lot of money by purchasing an 04 edge EC 4.0 4x2 like you did instead of buying the 4wd vehicle. What are your thoughts?
    I had a Mazda B3000 4x2 without lsd (Mechanical twin to the Ranger). Got stuck twice in the Georgia Mountains. Going up a steep gravel road (not what I would consider off roading by any means) and going up a steep asphalt (yes asphalt) road in the rain (not ice - just wet rain) while pulling a single axle U-Haul. Both times I was pulled up by different F-150s with 4wd. Replaced the B3000 with a B4000 4x4 with the 5 speed auto.

I would strongly recommend the 4.0 litre engine and 4wd. 3.0 is weak and it pings. 4.0 with the auto is a nice drivetrain with decent power. My truck is rated to tow 5,500 pounds, which means that realistically I can comfortably tow up to 3,000. If you regularly tow much more, I think you should be looking at bigger truck. Also, my new truck has the lsd. While I think it helps somewhat, it is not a true locking differential (only a limited amount of power is transferred to the tire with better traction) and I do not think that it is a replacement for 4wd. It is still relatively easy to spin the tires in low traction situations in 2wd.

Having said all that, if you do not need heavy duty towing, I think the Ranger / Mazdas are great trucks and if you can give up the macho he-man image of a big truck, they should work great for 99% of personal use needs, while being much easier to park and live with on a day to day basis.
    If you think the 3.0l is weak, then don't even think about the 2.3l. In reality, the 3.0l is pretty good in the regular cab, especially with a stick. And pinging? Not in my 2003. The engine was revised in 2002 and the problem is all but completely cured. If you call something that is just a noise in the engine that doesn't affect much else a problem. Get the 3.0l if you are concerned about gas milage.

But the 4.0l definitely will be home in any 4x4 or extended cab. I think Ford should make them available in all Rangers, extended or not. Definitely a nice engine, but not as reliable as the Vulcan 3.0l in the long term.
    Granted, my B3000 (3.0 engine) was a year 2000 model, so I do not know about recent improvements to the engine, but my 2wd B3000 regular cab had identical fuel economy to my 2002 model B4000 extended cab (with the doors) and 4wd. Both got about 15 in the city and 20 on the highway, and both had automatic transmissions. Also, I ran mid grade fuel with the 3.0 because of the knocking / pinging, so my fuel costs were actually higher than the 4.0.

My experience with the 3.0 was poor mpg and not a lot of power. At least with the 4.0 I can live with the fuel economy considering the power and considering the relative advantages of 4wd and the extended cab, which add weight and increase fuel consumption.

I can't comment on the relative reliability between the two engines because I have not had problems with either truck. I sold the B3000 after two years and 26,000 miles. My B4000 is now about two years old with 35,000 miles. It's much more useful with the extended cab so I drive it a lot more, keeping miles off of our other car.

BTW, both times I got stuck in the B3000 I had significant remaining tread with well under 20,000 miles on the original Firestone Wilderness HT tires.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Anyone have any experience hauling actual human beings in the back of one of these? I'd like to be able to haul my wife, 4-year old daughter and eventual infant along with me. Is there enough room in there with car seats and all?
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    On days when the 4 door sedan, wagon, or SUV you should normally use to haul the family around is in the shop, a Ranger should be fine for dropping your slim wife and a couple of svelte 8-12 year old kids off at school. Car seats won't work. The best place for them is in the back seat and they're not safe in extended cab/compact jump seats. Any averaged sized teenage or adult will start to dislike you after more than 20-25 minutes or so back there. And by that I mean theyll dislike you even more than is normal in a teen/parent relationship.

My suggestions: You either need to look at a compact/crew cab with a bed extender, a full size extended cab, or keep something more suited to family hauling and just have a regular cab long bed compact for hauling stuff. The extended cabs are really only good for interior storage space for stuff you dont want in the bed. For hauling people, they're at best tolerable for short periods.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    That's what I was afraid of. I've owned a couple of F150's...rather unweildy beasts, but useful. I may end up getting another one....or maybe a Tundra.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Would you consider a sport trac? Seems like it fits your requirements, and they may have some really good discounts on them.
    I was fishing the other day and a 4 door Ranger came up along side of mine....the man bought it in Mexico....actually he was a resident of Mexico up here visiting. Nice looking truck....I suppose Ford declines to sell it here because it would hurt the sale of the Explorer Sport-Trec?

My newest minor complaint with my '02 Ranger XLT FX4......no "lock" button for the power windows.....my 3 year old has discovered the up/down button and there isn't much I can do but continue to throw idle threats his way as the window goes up and down, up and down...

jkidd
    I agree that it is too small for people except maybe children in a narrow age band when they are older than car seat age but still well below normal adult or teen size. However, with only a lap belt, there are safety issues.

However, it does work great for a dog and for interior storage, especially with the clam shell doors.
    You can easily put in a lock out feature on your passenger window controls(that is also handy if anyone has a dog who likes to lean out the window, paws on the controls, etc) It just depends on how handy you are, but it's not really too difficult at all.

I personally don't know the procedure or how to wire it up, but there are guys at the www.generation-edge.com website that know, and there is a forum full of electrical modifications and other tid bits. Just tell them 2k3Edge sent ya.
This discussion has been closed.