Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Gladiator- People who want it built!

Comments

• brdhntr1brdhntr1 Member Posts: 19
    I agree heartily with your thoughts. The Gladiator is the truck for the times. The Dakota does nothing in regard to touching my emotions. I have been a loyal Jeep owner since 1992. At this time we have four within my family. The Gladiator would become the 5th if they produce it. If not, I will be buying a Tacoma probably within the next 9 months. If Jeep would announce production I could wait and continue to use my trailer. The old trailer has a sag and I want a truck. I want a Jeep Gladiator.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Personally I think Jeep doesn't need the Gladiator. You say that it is a mistake to debut an SUV now due to high gas prices but a truck is just as much a gas hog as an SUV.
  • weswesweswes Member Posts: 5
    Wrong. It's same diesel engine as liberty; 2.8 mercedes CRD.
    So far I got about 30 mpg, so if the gladiator is a bit heavier, that
    will drop under 30 miles, but not too much. Besides they are already
    working on some light materials could be used in the future....
  • cjw60cjw60 Member Posts: 4
    dont need more horse power in it it has enough in it i have the new jeep liberty crd desiel 2.8 same as the soon to be jeep gladiator concept and it has great power i get 23 miles in city 30 high way love my jeep does zero to 60 in 5 sec.more then enough HP and tork.it will push u back in the seat my son found that out when he drove my liberty can't go wrong with 2.8 crd:) :) i can't wait for the gladiator to come out :)
  • cjw60cjw60 Member Posts: 4
    what is the AVE's Brute ?never seen it
  • pugnaxpugnax Member Posts: 2
    When I googled ‘AVE's Brute’ I came up with the following:

http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/features/AEVBrute/
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_Brute.html

These guys also produced a LWB Wrangler long before Jeep brought it out...

-Paul
  • brdhntr1brdhntr1 Member Posts: 19
    Since Jeep is slow in making a Gladiator decision, is anyone familiar with this conversion? http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_Brute.html Is this a vehicle to fill the void for next two or three years while Jeep procrastinates?
  • blaze6blaze6 Member Posts: 2
    Can't wait to buy one!!! I owned a 1988 commanche as my first truck. That little truck was tough. Then I found my J-10 and was in heaven, but gave it up due to having kids and new home and could not afford to keep restoring it.:( Now, I can afford a new vehicle and can only dream about having a Gladiator at this time. One major requirement is that it have a good towing capacity, I need to be able to tow my bass boat (21' ), so I can take my boys fishing!! Anyone know the towing capacity???
  • blaze6blaze6 Member Posts: 2
    Check out the HUMMER H3T. The H3 is here and the Truck version is coming. H3T has a retractable roof like the Gladiator and has a cool side door on bed. One draw back it only seats 2. But if you have a family, you probably have a SUV or mini-van to haul everyone anyway!!
  • coptrdoctrcoptrdoctr Member Posts: 1
    The H3T is ugly in my opinion. Bring out the Gladiator instead. Not to mention I can almost bet money right now that the Galdiator will out do the H3T in the MPG department. Face it folks, gas prices are not going to get any cheaper and SUV's are never going to be fuel efficient. That said, the diseal engine they have planed to put in the Galdiator is going to save you money down the road compared to the H3T. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    I notice in the Commander forum that Jeep has a rep sitting in and answering questions. If DC is really serious about consumer reactions, they ought to be doing the same thing here!
    Come on DC! We want this truck!
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    The 2.8L CRD in the Liberty is not a Mercedes engine. It's made and engineered by VM Motori in Italy. This company, I believe is a subsidary of Detroit Diesel.
    This thread is getting too quiet again! Has anyone heard or seen anything at all from Chrysler about this truck in the last couple months. I read something a week or two ago from the new CEO to the effect that he "likes the Gladiator concept", but he didn't offer any more encouragement than that on whether they might in fact build it. Come on, DC; there is a market out here for a mid-size diesel pickup!

RE: 2.8 by bored; You're right, VM Motori is a wholly owned subsidiary of Detroit Diesel. We can only hope Detroit acquired them because of the quality of their product.
  • cwbrgcwbrg Member Posts: 3
    I Agree, it is too qui.te. I would order it today if it was available.
  • dkoopdkoop Member Posts: 26
    I hope like hell that DC isn't going to pass up the Gladiator to protect the Dak and Ram. I have an 03 Dak Quad Cab and it gets crap mileage with the 4.7l :mad: . If DC wants to protect their gas guzzler line of trucks - fine. Then offer the CRD engines in the jeep line (and I mean the entire US line) and build the Gladiator, too. I almost bought a Libby CRD but fell in love with the Gladiator when I saw it. So now I have to wait and see what the germans will do :confuse: .
    I hope like hell that DC isn't going to pass up the Gladiator to protect the Dak and Ram.

Why do you think they dropped Jeep trucks in the first place. Chrysler started producing Jeeps in 1988 or 1989. The last year for a J-series pickup was 1988. The last year for the Comanche was 1992. Sounds like it was in the plans all along.
    I had a dream last night, I bought brand new Gladiator... it was awesome truck... actually I was a bit disappointed, because it has
    ten wheels and I was thinking for a while, why the hell they put
    ten wheels on it, but still, that was so awesome truck!
    I hope that dream come through, except those extra wheels of course :-)
    I've almost bought the Liberty too, but I hate automatic transmission
    and as they don't offer manual, I was hesitating for so long.... finally I discover Gladiator and decided to wait for him.
    BTW2; it is a shame they don't offer manual, don't you think?
    I could not agree more. The 2.8 CRD bolted up to a 6 speed manual would make a fantastic combination for liberty, wrangler, and gladiator (or any light SUV/Truck for that matter). There is no good reason not to have this offering in the entire jeep line-up for the US. You can buy some combinations of this in either the euro or ausie market already. But it really sucks thinking of having to jump on a plane, negotiate to purchase a vehical in a foreign country, pick it up, drive it so it is a used import into the US, ship it, get it through EPA and customs. :sick: I have heard the Mercedes in Frankfurt had an entire program for doing this when the euro was cheap vs the dollar a few years ago.

I can't see how the gladiator would take sales away from Dodge Ram or Dak. It is an entirely different approach to a truck. Or really isn't a truck at all, but a Jeep with a bed. An entirely different automobile than the Dodge products, I think. Back when Chrysler took over jeep and discontinued their truck products, the Dodge Ram was a tired design that was at least 10 years behind the times. That is definitely not true now. Lee made sure that Dodge Trucks were technilogically equal to Ford and GM and now they command their fair share of the light truck market. Gladiator should in no way threaten Dodge light truck sales. So come on DC BUILD IT! Maybe if DC continues to cross polinate between Jeep and Dodge we might see the CRD in some Dodge pruducts, too. One can only dream!
  • aplusaplus Member Posts: 2
    Word is in couple weeks DC is going to make a discussion on the production of the Gladiator. Anyone hears of anything please post it!
    Sales of SUV and trucks were down again in Oct. There is just no way this truck is gonna happen. They shouldn't even be considering it. ;)
  • kentuckydavekentuckydave Member Posts: 2
    You're crazy if you think that the plummeting sales of huge SUV's should dissuade Jeep from this idea. What do you suggest Jeep do- start making compact sedans? Give me a break. This concept is not only brilliant, it is timely. People still need FUNCTIONAL four wheel drive trucks. That's exactly what the Gladiator offers-stripped down, functionality. The six speed diesel is perfect for eco-conscious, big SUV loathing folk who still need four wheel drives. I'm hoping Jeep gets going on this vehicle so I can make the switch when my Cherokee hits 200,000 miles.
    How many truck models does Chrysler already have?? The Ram comes in 50 million configurations. The Dakota is the same way. It's now a fact that people are moving away from trucks and suv's, so what sense does it make to roll out another model?? Diesel is just as expensive as gas these days so it's still expensive to operate. Jeep (for now) has more than enough models.
    about any auto maker. How many models/configurations does BMW have?

Z4
    325i, 325xi, 330i, 330xi, M3 and the wagon version(s)
    525i, 530i, 545i and the wagon version(s)
    650i
    750i, 750iL, 760i, 760iL
    X3 2.5, x3 3.0
    X5 3.0, X5 4.8

Hrm... guess they shouldn't make the M5 and M6 because they are big V10's and have a gas guzzler tax. Their mileage won't be a whole lot better than the Gladiator, given how M5 and M6 owners could possibly drive them. I know I would drive em like they were meant to be driven. :)

How about GM?

How about Porsche, VW, Honda...

Each maker plays to a market and is always trying to expand that market. Jeep will, hopefully, see enough potential interest for a pickup-like vehicle to start producing it, just like BMW sees the potential market for the M5 and M6. Those markets are definitely smaller than the market for a Gladiator, yet they are still making em.

Sure doesn't mean you have to buy one.

-Paul
    Couldn't agree less! Ford, GM and Dodge are all caught going the wrong way with SUV's and light trucks. They should have been developing small displacement efficient diesels for the light truck and suv line instead of trying to figure out how to stuff big V-8's getting gas mileage in the teens. Wrong direction at the wrong time. I think the smart observation is that sales of anything getting sh@#$ty mileage is way off and going to stay that way. Thats why Gladiator makes so much sense. Getting 26 out of it should be easy. And if DC uses their brains a little, it could get a cool 30+ mpg. :P
    Even Chevrolet can get 28 MPG out of a V8 - look at the C6 Corvette's numbers. Granted it isn't shaped like a brick. :)

But big and powerful engines are being made to be a LOT more efficient. Hopefully DC can get a good efficient engine in their line and STILL have decent numbers (HP, torque, MPG).

It is not impossible to do.

-Paul
    I agree it can be done. The question is why isn't it being done. Ford can't even get better than 16 out of their powerstroke diesel (if you talk to actual owners). The Gladiator with a 2.8 CRD and the 6 speed manual should get at least 30 mpg when it is driven responsibly. Looking over at the Liberty Diesel forum, I see some owners saying they are squeezing 30 mpg out of their Libby's. I'd like to see that combination in everything jeep offers here in the US.

BTW I read on the diesel technology website that light diesel passenger vehicles will qualify for the same federal tax credit as hybrids as of 1/1/06. The tax credit can be as much as $3,400. I didn't see any details about what vehicles qualify, though. Anyone out there know anything more on this?

So come on DC stop treating all of us Americans like gas guzzling Hummer driving soccer moms. The temporary drop in fuel prices has none of us fooled!!!
  • cardude55cardude55 Member Posts: 1
    According to the Ellsworth American the Jeep Gladiator will go into production later next year.
    "Jeep Gladiator — This concept truck is close to what we will actually see in production later next year. A three-door cabin with roots in the Wrangler body, the Gladiator has a removable rear window, beefy off-road chassis, and a small pickup bed with factory applied bedliner."
    Here is the link:
    http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/archive/2005/11-10-05/m_wheels_11-10-05.html

Can anyone confirm this? I hope it is true!
  • jimm3jimm3 Member Posts: 2
    I read the same information as to production late next year. Has anyone heard confirmation of this? Is there more news on the Gladiator forthcoming at the North American show in Jan.? I s the new Jeep plant about to open to to be used for production of the Gladiator?

I think this truck is a very exciting idea and will fill a huge hole in the truck market. And that is a basic utilitarian truck that with nice lines and flexible uses. The use of a diesel motor especially with the advances forth coming in bio diesel and diesel fuel derived from forestry bi-products is especially intriguing.
  • jimm3jimm3 Member Posts: 2
    I just e-mailed Ellsworth asking for the source of the information about the Gladiator production in late '06 and when they expect an official announcement from D-C. Stay tuned....
  • savageurgesavageurge Member Posts: 2
    The current market has nothing like this vehicle, and I believe it will be extremely popular among young and old alike, not to mention a huge success throughout the Jeeping and 4x4 communities! I used to own a '99 Dodge Ram and then downsized to a Jeep Liberty. I miss my bed!! However I love the ride and the gas mileage (compared to the truck) in the Liberty but wish it had a bit more cargo room. The Gladiator is my ULTIMATE vehicle. Build it Jeep, and I will be one of the first on the waiting list!
  • jeepernutjeepernut Member Posts: 5
    Been buying and running Jeeps for a long time now. Started in 1979 with a J10, then the Cherokee Chief and now the Grand Cherokees. I've had about 10 jeeps since 1984. The problem is that I'm getting bored with what Jeep is offering at the moment, I'm tire of the Grand Cherokee. It needs new thinking and hopefully some of these new designs actually make it to the showrooms, SOON!!! I miss that J10 and having the Gladiator there just might keep me buying Jeeps. They really need to do something since Toyota is coming out with that warmed over FJ..but it looks pretty good....
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I posted the below awhile ago. More than ever, I hope the new wrangler 4-door fits the bill. Now, if they also released one with 4 doors, a 4-5 foot bed, decent mpg, and modern safety features, they could corner the SUT market too.

I have been shocked and disappointed for years that Jeep has stood by while the Hummer H2 (SUV and SUT), and now the H3, has come out. Jeep should have owned the tough military inspired SUV/SUT market, period. Instead, we got the bloated H2, and now the underpowered H3 with the baggage of the ruined Hummer name. Hummers are charicatures now. You don't need to be a card carrying Sierra Club member to roll your eyes at one of those things as they lumber by.
    I hope Jeep does comes out with the Gladiator (with a useful extended cab or a double cab), and the Rescue for that matter. In the meantime, I will be looking forward to the Toyota FJ, which for reliability reasons may yet be the best of the bunch.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Jeep should build it.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Waiting with baited breath on official word and release from Jeep! Tick tock, tick tock,...
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    I emailed DC last Jan to just build and they will come myself included. Rummors are getting stronger. Would be great Surf Fishing rig for me! Hope they offer Auto tranny!

Fingers Crossed :)
    Anybody hearing any news or details on how the Gladiator will be offered (assuming it is!!)? I wonder if we will see the same packages as the Wrangler offering along with the diesel with both auto and six speed :confuse: I could sure go for a Gladiator Unlimited Rubicon with diesel and 6 speed. spray in bedliner from clutch pedal to tailgate, waterproof seat covers, 31's, topper, etc. I'm dreaming of an OD gladiator, fixed up like an unlimited....
    Wrong, they should not offer auto tranny, so any moran
    wouldn't drive it!
  • moochorbbmoochorbb Member Posts: 16
    i would really like to see them offer a package like the brute. i dont need that extended cab. but yea i am ready to get one if or when they come out

keep the auto if they dont offer it DC will lose alot of sales... Rubicon that thing with the diesel and 6 speed and here i come
  • idogidog Member Posts: 3
    If they will give us options, I would love to see a flat coat or powder coat paint of some type, and just regular rims. I use my trucks and jeeps. They are utility vehicles and I don't want the bling. This is a great idea and will buy one if they build it.
    The all wheather interior is a good idea, after duck season is over, I can hose it out.
    My shifting days are #ed need auto, would still make great surf fishing rig. Big tires ground clearence & diesel are great features for my use.
    10-4 whoever said the big 3 should have been working on small medium diesels for trucks. Could been done years ago!
    Dummmies! :mad:
  • dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    Are cheaper and better off road than the new FJ Cruisers.
    They are utility vehicles and I don't want the bling.

Agreed!

There is a real market for this type of interior and exterior. I had a set of Camo Neoprene seatcovers on my old 1999 S-10 ZR2...people were constantly asking me how they existed! ;)
    Surf Fishing sand & salt need to clean easy and alot! Still need auto tranny though. ;)
    They are utility vehicles and I don't want the bling.

Me Too!

Give me a Gladiator with crd, 6 speed, hose out interior, powdercoat body panels (od green) and Rubicon running gear and I'm there! :P
    And furthermore DC if you're listening. There are alot of us who love the primitive but functional attributes of the wrangler but want to see the same vehicle in a 4 door SUV and a 2 door SUT. What we're asking for is an extension of the Wrangler body on frame 4x4 design but in an SUV and SUT body configuration. Sounds pretty easy to me and it's a major hole in the Jeep line-up now that the old cherokee is gone. :confuse:
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you want a 4 door Wrangler? It is already coming and spy shots are available on the Net for it. I'd sure like to see the SUT/Gladiator version though. :)

-Paul
    But here are some new pics of the new Wrangler.

Think the front end looks a LOT like the Gladiator. This could be good or bad. It may mean the Gladiator won't happen and was a testbed for the new Wrangler, or since they share parts, that it would happen.

http://www.4x4shots.com/albums/userpics/10054/Jeep1.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=549

-Paul
    Yes, I've seen the spy shots of the 4 door Wrangler. My observation was that a jeep model line that included the wrangler, wrangeler 4 door suv, and wrangler (gladiator) sut is kind of what may be shaping up at DC. If all three of these share the same roots of a body on frame design with wrangler e running gear and the crd as an optional mill, this would be a brilliant model line.

For myself, I would have to really agonize between the SUT and SUV. It would be a tough choice. ;)

Dennis
    I've ofetn theought the Land Rover 110 Defender (4-Door) was ideal except for the price (Used $40,000!) in the US. I'm thrilled that Jeep is finally offering a 4 door updated Wrangler.

I sold my 1994 Jeep 4.0L because I needed more room/towing/hauling bed and started buying pickups. At least now I can consider a Jeep for my next purchase. :D
This discussion has been closed.