Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    how about a version of the 3.0, making 250 hp or so? The IS rides on a shortened version of the GS platform right? So engineering costs would probably be low to pop the 3.0 from the GS into an IS-based Supra. Selling at $25K. With superlative handling at base price. And yes, a great stereo.

I am sure that in a couple of years, this is where the IS is going anyway. IS 300 and IS460. I like that for the Supra. 250 and 350 hp variants, selling at $25K and $32K base price, respectively. With IS coupe variants of each, selling at about a $8K premium over the Supra with the same powertrain, and of course packing a whole lot more of that Lexus panache and standard equipment.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• You just want a cheap car that has the supra name on the back dont you? Being based on the IS/GS platform, this car CANT get any lighter that 1300kg, and that would be using aluminium body panels. 250hp, is not gonna cut it. yes the base price should be as low as 26k, but fully loaded, it shouldnt really be any higher than 32-34k. Toyota/ Lexus wont offer a similiar number of variants across their line, because they are trying to diffentiate their lines as they go global. * They did say we would not get any more lexuses that are redisigned toyotas, but that does not meant they wont share platforms across the whole range.*
    I personally think (and would like to see that) the GS and IS make a swap...the IS gets the 255hp 3.0l to make an IS300 to replace the IS250, while the GS gets the IS350's 3.5 L to make a GS350.... then the GS430 would be dropped and replaced by the GS450h. Any version of either the IS or GS carrying the future LS 4.6L v8 would be in the vein of a performance oriented version......i'm not convinced that a GS460 is a given upgrade for next year, (and its not been confirmed, have no idea where the rumor came from) and I dont think it makes sense either if its not something akin to an 'M' or 'AMG' version as it would have pretty much similar output to the 450 hybrid.
    ....................................... sorry for the off topic rant , anyway,
    What i'm saying is toyota is capable of making a 3.5L n/a Supra, that comes stock well equipped and with a good stero and with options to be in the price range of 26-35k...and thats the only verion that would mke sense..business wise, marketing wise, REPUTATION wise and of course to satisfy the legion of aspiring supra owners (at least those sensible enough to realise the 2JZ turbo aint coming back).
  • khoakhoa Posts: 64
    the only company sticking to I6 engines is BMW

Hmm ... 3-series is still the one to beat, or isn't it :P

BTW, the turbo is the only reason why the 93+ Supra is special, worth as much today as if they were new.
  • Maybe in terms of sport sedans, but not really anywhere else now is it? :P

And no, the turbo isn't the only thing that made the car special......maybe it makes it more valuable than the NA version, but here are a lot of things about the supra that make it special and desireable.
  • rb1rb1 Posts: 11
    Great discussions on this board, considering this forum has been dead for a while. With that said, is the Supra dead? I mean I've seen all of the rumors of the Supra coming back for quite some time, but is there any definitive information confirming the Supra's revival in 07. If so, it may coincide with the IS coupe being released in 07 as well. For a new release to be coming out in basically a year, I would assume to have some solid facts to rely on. Anybody out there got anything?
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    I hope Toyota brings the Supra for their sake. It could go a long way towards boosting their image. As it is Toyota has a reputation for making well built, luxurious vehicles that are however bland and lacking style and personality. This car could boost that image.

Not like Toyota needs a homerun, they already have many, but this car is more about making a statement.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    As far as I know, the last Supra rumors with any hint of reality date back a year or two. Artist renderings were floating around, there were supposed spyshots, people said that Toyota said a concept would come out at a certain motor show (which passed without any mention of a future Supra at all)...

No one knew what kind of sports car the rumored Supra would be, but apparently we were all fooled and everything led to the Lexus LF-A.

Toyota hasn't said anything about a new Supra for a long time, basically.
  • Danny Clements being asked, point blank, about the Supra, and, to paraphrase, he said the Supra had some internal discussions, but reviving the Land Cruiser into this FJ back-to-basics Land Cruiser won out, and that a budget for both would not be made available.

That is why I created the current FL Cruiser forum, initially named "Why I Hate The 2007 FJ Cruiser!" The fun police made the title more appealing to kids, so it is now just "2007 FJ Cruiser 4X4".

I think Toyota needs another truck/SUV like GM needs another OHV engine, but Toyota and I will agree to disagree on that one....

I don't see why Nissan can make money on the Z, but Toyota can't.

DrFill
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I think Toyota needs another truck/SUV like GM needs another OHV engine, but Toyota and I will agree to disagree on that one...."

Personally, I think that 90% of the sales for the new FJ cruiser will come at the expense of other Toyota SUV's. I just don't see it attracting much non-Toyota traffic. Is it just my perception or is the small, entry Sport/cute-ute market getting to be a bit crowded?

On the other hand how many $25k-35k RWD sport coupes are there on the market?
  • Mustang gt
    Mazda rx 8 & mx5 (grand touring)
    Nissan 350z
    Honda S2000
    Chrystler crossfire (non roadster/non srt version)
    Yep, and of those only TWO (Mustang and RX8) have occasional seating for a couple of kids in the back seat.
  • Um... Pontiac GTO anyone? Not only will it handily beat all others on that list, but it will do it with plenty of room in the back seats for 2 people.
  • Is this market flat? Fading? Or ripe for rejuvination?

Mustangs and Vettes will always sell.

If the others want in, it's a mixture of timing, product, pricing, and heritage.

Looks like Toyota will not be pulled back in, like "The Godfather", anytime soon.

DrFill
    DO bring a new Supra and the price is much above $30 grand, it is going to beg comparisons with the GTO, and 400 hp is going to kill the 250-300 that Supra will have at this price.

I think from Toyota's business-oriented perspective, this segment IS too crowded to bother bringing in another model.

• I think a supra can make it. Using a platform that is already in 2 other models (GS/IS) would cut any costs of developing a new chassis and the amount of fans in a world market willing to buy cause they never got or always wanted a supra (the name is a hell of a lot bigger than u could imagine), not to mention if its faster than the rest 25-30k sport sedans, I could expect at least 100k worldwide annual sales (at least for a year or two). Not much by toyota standards, but using a platform spread across 3 vehicles as opposed to an exclusive chassis a la MKIV supra (supra chassis wasnt used in anything else but the IS300 and thats after it left the US market) it would still make profit.

All else failing how about an IS460 coupe (or supercharged IS350 coupe) with a manual tranny and a VDIM kill switch please?

***on that note, have you guys seen the TRD Tacoma X runner?!?! supercharged 1GR engine 400hp, 350ft/lbs tq...from a base of 245hp, 285 ft/lbs tq***
  • Is that at SEMA? Tell me more!

Drfill
  • i wonder will the next Supra be a 4 seaters or 2. I would like it to have 4 thou. and that's the reason why i didn't buy 350z cuz they have only 2 seat.
  • Sorry i took so long to get back. It was at SEMA, the story was on inside line check in the news section....

aww heck, here is the link......
    link title
  • 2007 Toyota Supra ">concept

• The picture won't show...
    "The picture won't show..."

Yikes......the power of Toyota to keep this car under wraps is downright scary :surprise: :P
  • So what's the new news on the '07 Supra? I had heard it was supposed to debut at the Tokyo auto show, but they debuted that Lexus LF-something or other instead. :cry: Is the Supra on again or off again? Thanks guys

JOE
  • Whats going on with this car? Dr. Fill, you know anything??

We all know Toyota needs a car like this. If Edmunds is predicting a 2006 release date there should be some new information on it.

Mullins
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    Well it doesn't seem like the Supra will return for 2006 model year, or even the 2007. :cry: Absolutely no news...
  • Hey, im Bryan. I think that its great that they are bringing back the supra to the U.S. Its not my favorite looking supra from the drawings that ive seen of the prototype. I think they should keep the same body style, but add some new features to it such as LED brake lights, re-designed interiors, and some more engine options, but thats all i think they should change. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE supras, and even though the new one isnt my favorite, id be glad to roll one of those babys down the 205 freeway. But, my most favorite supra of all is the 1998 Toyota supra, with the 3.0 litre in-line 6 cylinder twin turbo. Man, that baby looked SWEET!!! If ya want a good supra site that i stumbled upon, go to www.suprastore.com. They will even make you a replica of The Fast and the Furious orange supra, WITH the 2JZ engine and an entire web page of extras. That all i have to say for now. Peace ya'll. :shades:
    with expectations that will not materialize, based solely on their wishes. No amount of wishing is bringing back the Supra any time soon. The Supra-like concept car will be a production Lexus stickering near $100 grand, for the rich and foolish who have no idea what to do with a proper sports car. This is all Toyota has EVER hinted at. All the speculation of a $30K model to revive the Supra name was nothing more than just that: speculation, with a dose of fantasizing thrown in for good measure.

And if I sound bitter, well, i was really hoping for a revival of the Supraname too. I can't believe Toyota would let Nissan revive the mighty Z car and not offer anything to compete. Times have really changed at the hybrid-n-huge-trucks brand...

Amen.

And with the market soon to be flooded with powerful RWD coupes (retro styled muscle cars) that actually can HANDLE respecfully (Mustang, GTO, Camaro, and Challenger), in addition to the 350Z/G35 and RX8, maybe Toyota figures there just isn't room for another RWD sports coupe in the $30-$35k range?

Besides, they're probably trying to carve out another niche for YET ANOTHER DAMN SUV to add to the lineup..... :mad:

I don't know why it irritates me so much that the highest performing vehicle that Toyota offers with a manual transmission is a.....pickup truck? :confuse:
    Yeah! Whoop whoop, go X-Runner!! :sick:

Guess we'll just have to learn to love the next-gen 270 hp Solara V-6 SE, with sport package, eh??!! Automatic only, of course.

:cry:

This discussion has been closed.