Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• stephengpeddlestephengpeddle Member Posts: 1
    I recently contacted Toyota Canada, through their e-mail support, last night actually. The next day (Proving their extraordinary reliability!) being today, I got a reply back stating that there are no plans to introduce a sports car, and that my (/or the great?) interest for a Toyota sports car is being closely examined. I couldn't copy the message due to Toyota's Disclamier statement, but this is the most I could provide.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    Count me in on the movement! I have always loved the Supra, and my family used to own an 89 Turbo Supra (Red!). If Toyota can make the Supra that is shown in the picture I posted, I will be on the list in a heartbeat.

The red Supra in the photo reminds me of both the Supra and the F430 of which I am a huge fan of. If Toyota can make a a Supra and infuse the same passion in design as the F430 I am absolutely sold; scratch the IS 350. I am emailing Toyota with another request to revive the Supra. Toyota needs it! It can only help their image right now in their pivotal move towards youth and spirit!
    I just emailed Toyota as well regarding the resurection of the Supra.

In a nutshell I let them know how strongly I felt about the Supra and how others feel as well about it.

We should really let them know how much we want the Supra back, and then we can say that we really did something about it!
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    We will march in the streets!

We will bulk e-mail. We will write. We will call.

If you see a Toyota rep at the NYIAS (not a spokesmodel), pelt him with Supra questions. He'll tell his boss "Everybody was asking me about the Supra! Are we making that?"

Y'all have your homework assignment.

Don't make me take my belt off! :surprise:

DrFill
  • steve94steve94 Member Posts: 2
    Hey "dr fill" i agree w/ u, that if toyota decides to make a supra w/ 325hp under 35k it would sell. But to go as far as to "ATTACK" Vettes i dont think so buddy.
    STEVE
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if Toyota made an up-trim Supra with the 350 hp V-8 out of the future LS460 and a Toyota interior and priced it at $40K, then Corvette had better watch out! ;-)

The lower-trim Supra with the 300 hp V-6 out of the GS would have to be priced around $30K, or it would die in the battle with the Nissan cars (not to mention ten other cars of various configurations and a ton of sport at that price).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The Vette should not, CANNOT, be seen as a primary competitor of ANY SUPRA, no matter how great!

If they can make a 450HP Supra, with MT, for $3-4k less than a Vette, than maybe, otherwise, stay around $30k.

The next Z, won't that have more than 300HP?

If you are gonna show up to the party this late, come bearing gifts that won't get returned! 330HP is what will be required to start a true Supra renaissance, plus take sales from the NEXT Z, which still sells 20-30k a year after 4 years!

DrFill
  • solarascreamersolarascreamer Member Posts: 2
    Take a look at the April '06 copy of Road & Track. There's a piece on what the new Supra may look like. After talking with a friend at Toyota's U.S. HQ in Torrance, CA, it was confirmed that Toyota is indeed doing a new Supra. While the new Solara is nice looking car(especially if you put in the TRD suspension so it doesn't look so~o lifted and a decent set of rims/tires, as I have) it was a radical styling departure for staid & conservative Toyota.
    That being said, the Solara has been a huge sales success, especially in car-conscious markets such as SoCal. People have been craving a well-made, sporty car from Toyota. Simply going w/the TRD products (suspension, intake, exhaust) changes the Solara entirely. It goes from being a sporty looking/medium performance ride to a very sporty, hard-charging, corner-carving, eyebrow-raising machine. I have a fantastic relationship w/my local dealer and service advisor. As such, some people from Toyota have actually viewed and driven my car to get a better idea of the possibilities.
    Back to the Supra. It will definitely be available in Japan. No decision yet on the U.S. But, U.S. execs want it. With the fact that the engine will already be in the U.S. in Lexus models (although in a different state of tune), it means the engine will be capable of meeting strict smog emissions standards (the reason we lost the last Supra, as well as the previous Nissan 300ZX and Mazda RX-7) and thereby certification will be fairly easy.
    There's some other reasons also. Toyota is in F1 racing. They are in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series and comme the 2007 season, they will also be in the regular NASCAR car series. That will raise Toyota's image even more in the U.S. and people will be looking for a sporty offering at Toyota dealers. Mazada's RX-8 has had weak sales due to the 4 door configuration and they are working on a new RX-7. Honda is developing replacements for the S2000 and Acura NSX. Nissan is bringing the new Skyline GTR to the U.S. as well as a next-gen 350Z replacement. Toyota is not going to sit idly by while other Japanese brands have all those performance cars out there. Expect Toyota to respond strongly in both the Toyota and Lexus brands. It is an acknowledged fact by all other auto companies, that Toyota has more cash and resources than any other automaker, so expect them to really start stepping it up.
    Need evidence? Look at all their recent launches (Avalon, RAV4, IS350 and upcoming LS460 and Camry) and you will see a renewed empahsis on power, handling and product superiority.
    One other note: Cash-strapped, junk bond status GM is looking to sell off their stake in Subaru. Most likely buyer? Toyota. Toyota has expressed strong interest as they are also currently in talks to buy Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company.
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    ummm, GM has already sold its stake (~20%) in FHI/Subaru and Toyota has already bought up 8.7%...where have you been? :P

-The solara an eybrow raising corner carver???? :confuse:
  • dokilat1dokilat1 Member Posts: 22
    It's a go. The LF-A will be around $170k due out in 2008.
  • solarascreamersolarascreamer Member Posts: 2
    Actually, Toyota owns more than that through some of their sub-companies.
    As far as a corner carver, yeah. I took it to a track and had it tested by a "professional" driver. I've only been through the Bondurant course once, so I'm sure he was able to extract more than I could, but here are the numbers:
    1. 1.01g lateral acceleration avg.
    2. 71.8 through 600 ft. slalom course
    3. 60-0 braking of 111.5 ft.
    4. 0-60 acceleration of 5.8 sec.
    Check those numbers, except for acceleration, the rest of those numbers are right up there w/Corvette Z06 and 911 Carrera S. I'm sure a big part of the credit goes to the tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. At $300 each, I would expect it! ;) We didn't do a top speed run, but after the dealer disabled the factory limit (130 mph), I got up to 145mph (on an empty stretch of fwy at about 3am!)before I lifted my foot. The car was still accelerating, but it took me years to get a clean dmv record, so I didn't want to risk it. Car was extremely steady at that speed.
    Biggest key to extracting the max potential from a Lexus/Toyota is disabling the VSC/TRAC systems. The TRAC system has a dash button to do this, the VSC does not. However, there is a procedure involving a specific combo of brake pedal/emergency brake presses and releases that will disable the VSC. My service advisor and his one of his techs gave me this info. Only downside, after the car is shut off, everything resets.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "1. 1.01g lateral acceleration avg.
    2. 71.8 through 600 ft. slalom course
    3. 60-0 braking of 111.5 ft.
    4. 0-60 acceleration of 5.8 sec.
    Check those numbers, except for acceleration, the rest of those numbers are right up there w/Corvette Z06 and 911 Carrera S."

OUCH!!!!

You know, it really hurts to blurt hot coffee out of your nose....

It's really amazing that you took a Solara which, according to C&D's review did a 0-60 in 6.9secs, a 70-0 stop in 188ft, and pulled 0.77g on the skidpad, and turned it into a Corvette-slaying fire-breathing track monster with just a few simple TRD bolt-ons.......
    I am replying to your post right now before I have finished reading it, so, in advance, give me a break. :P

I wrote Toyota, and they had told me that they have no plans for the Supra - those liars! ;)

However, they said that my thoughts have been "forwarded" to the product planners.

Toyota is like Area 51!
  • gjosephgjoseph Member Posts: 2
    At Toyota Website they have this message
    Question
    Is Toyota planning on bringing back the Supra in the future?

Answer
    At this time, Toyota has no plans to bring back the Supra. We are however, constantly researching the market to identify popular vehicles.

Honestly, I think they're eventually going to bring a sports car back in the market hopefully it'll look like the one in the pic cuz I'll def get tht!!! It reminds me of the Benz SLK lol
  • gjosephgjoseph Member Posts: 2
    Maybe Toyota will bring back a sports car like the supra/celica but in a different name.
    DrFill,

I understand that you work for a Dodge dealership in Houston. Does your dealership do much in the way of fleet vehicles for schools?

I would like to get some info regarding that, and some other things Texas and Houston related from a good source (you!). My email is mgiller at naylor dot com if you would like to know.

Also, would you happen to either know, or be K.B. or R.T.?

PS:

Lexus LF-A (GT 450/500)
    Japan's first true exotic?
    Although the show car pictured on our cover isn't a runner, there is a version that actually runs and goes really fast. According to reports in Japanese car magazines, the GT 450 (LF-A) lapped the recently redesigned Fuji International Speedway like a true super exotic. Visually, the test car that ran that day was slightly different from the show car you see on our cover. It had a metal roof rather than a glass one, BBS forged-alloy wheels and small cameras mounted in the side mirrors. This undoubtedly means the Lexus coupe is not yet in its final state; there are a few more changes to come, most likely to the front and rear ends.

Mechanically, we know the future Lexus 2-seater will be powered by a 500-bhp V-10. Whether the displacement will be 4.5 liters or 5.0 liters remains to be seen (the engine displacement will likely decide if Lexus will call the car GT 450 or GT 500). A display-only model of the engine revealed that the cylinder banks are angled at 72 degrees. It's also the first dry-sump engine in Toyota's history. Redline is said to be above 9000 rpm, so we're talking about an engine that puts out power like a Formula 1 car. It'll come mated to a transaxle with at least six speeds.

One of our stealthy ninjas actually heard the thing revving, and said the engine and exhaust sounded eerily similar to an F1 engine. "There was no sense of friction when the thing was revving up or down."

In fact, a Toyota board member was overheard saying that the car's official launch will coincide with the company's first win in F1; therefore, the final production model must be ready to be revealed when that historic event occurs. Within Toyota, that date is expected around the summer of 2007. Does Toyota have something up its sleeve at that time in F1? Or does the company want to steal some thunder from Nissan's GT-R launch?

Also, we've seen spy shots of a convertible version of the LF-A running at a remote test track, so expect an open-air GT 450 to make an appearance soon after the coupe. Price of the Toyota super GT is expected to fall somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000.

Source: Road & Track
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    That pic (above) is nice! Hey Mike buy me one! LOL :)
    hahaha.... Maybe when I croak in 60-70 years I will leave you a slice of my will.

:P

It is safe for the IS 350, but forget 200K Cnd!
    "Also, would you happen to either know, or be K.B. or R.T.?" of NorthWest Dodge of course.
    1. I am neither of them, nor know who you are referring to.

2. I no longer work for Dodge.

DrFill
    Ah, OK. Thanks. Good thing you updated your little bio there!
  • lx4700lx4700 Member Posts: 2
    Supra is getting a V8. :D
    Nope, but I posted the exact same thing on the page before this.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Folks, please don't post large photos in the discussions because it really distorts the page and makes it hard to read all of the other posts. Thus, I've had to remove the post with the giant photo.

What you CAN do is load up the photo to your CarSpace page at www.carspace.com, then post a link to your page in here so that everyone can see the photos. For example, mine's here:
    http://www.carspace.com/kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bjs1997bjs1997 Member Posts: 6
    Why do people like these cars? Toyota has never been able to produce a nice looking car, truck, or sports car. Why don't people go and buy real cars like the mustang or corvette. The new camaro or challenger could be another option. Buy american especially GM is good for this country considering how much they employee here.
  • supra4lifesupra4life Member Posts: 5
    Hum... Yeah...

If you don't like Japanese cars then just stop posting here, that's all... I mean it's not complicated to understand just go post your retarded messages in the american cars topics...
  • e_rice_ric Member Posts: 3
    if there going to bring back the supra then they should bring back the twin turbo 325 horse power back as well. cause i believe that was the hearth of the supra.
  • e_rice_ric Member Posts: 3
    a supra has a v6 twin turbo engine and they should keep that. And they should keep it a twin turbo not supercharged. turbo is more for a sport car and they should make more manual then automatic.
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    1) The supra had an Inine6
    2) its gonna have to have more than 320hp
  • steinbergersteinberger Member Posts: 2
    The Supra they are going to produce will be a crowd pleasing car for aging people hitting their mid-life crisis but, it will never reach the legendary proportions of the mkIV because of 2 reasons. The engine will not be as mod friendly I mean let's face the facts. and Inline array is better than a V array in every ways except for compactness and sometimes weight. The can handle much higher rpms, that are much more balanced, they naturally produce more low-end torque than a same displacement V array. Add to that fact that the engine was deigned for a sequential turbo system that ran at pretty high oem boost anyway and that why the supra did so well. Without even stroking the engine out they could produce 1500Hp at the crank and, much more after stroking it. and compared to the other cars it was up against it was comparatively light-weight except for the 300ZX and the RX-7 which neither can produce near the same power.

The N/A 6L V8 will be a power monster and is going to be great for the audience they are going after. Older guys who know relatively nothing about cars who need to give their egos a boost. Which always has better profits than appealing to young guys trying to make high-performance machines. If you are in that boat you might as well buy an 2JZ-GTE and put it in a better body because the market is spread out too much.

You have young kids who want cheap cars they can "rice" out. Which is the reason Scion came to be. And then you have the old rich guys who really don't car about performance but have some extra money and want a car that has bragging rights. The median cars are all but gone...

The New Supra was supposed to be a competitor with the new skyline I believe though.

But toyota has wised up a bit by trying to get into the area of the market that is making the real money now days through scion which is the aftermarket performance parts. Trd never really did enough to produce a profit. They were pretty much there as advertising by creating show pieces and racing developments.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Without even stroking the engine out they could produce 1500Hp at the crank and, much more after stroking it. and compared to the other cars it was up against it was comparatively light-weight except for the 300ZX and the RX-7 which neither can produce near the same power.

I do agree with most of that, except for the part about the RX-7. The 13B Rotary could produce quite a bit of power. I have seen them over 1000hp, plus, they weighed only 2700 lbs. That's fast.

I think that Toyota's 3.0L inline 6 is one of the most legendary motors ever produced, easy to mod, and super reliable.

I have heard the new Surpa getting a V6 and possibly and upgradable V8, turbo not being an option this time around. I guess this Surpa will be a totally different buyer then the Supra of 10 years ago.
  • docimdocim Member Posts: 1
    does anyone REALLY KNOW FOR SURE if toyota is bringing out the supra? if so is there going to be a convertible. the dealerships are tight lipped. am going to get a car this summer but am willing to wait if it REALLY IS COMING SOON. thanks
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I highly doubt there will be a Supra anytime in the near future. Why would Toyota do such a thing? The Z is not selling, the RX-8 is dead, why throw in another sports car into the mix so that nobody would buy it?

Even under a Lexus badge, I think a Supra-like car would still be a failure. Just look at all the past and present SC models - nice cars, but all failed miserably.

As much as I like the Supra (I have owned two), I, and many other former owners, wouldn't be interested in buying a new one because of its impracticality. Performance sedans and crossover SUV are the future, not cramped sport coupes.
  • m52gom52go Member Posts: 1
    YES there really will be a new supra.

my parents just went to the toyota dealer about 2 weeks ago to purchase a new camry. while was talking to the guy who was processing our order, one thing led to another and he asked me to name all of the toyota models (he was trying to see how much i knew about the company since i had just asked him about jobs at the dealership).

anyway, after i finished, he said that there would be one more, and that it would NOT be a lexus, in the near-future. of course, i could not get him to say much, but he would confirm that it would be a toyota, and that it would be "the new supra" (or something to that effect)

now i do not know how soon "soon" means; from everthing i have seen and read i would not expect to see anything i showrooms for at the least another year...but toyota's definitely preparing something big
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    From product planning standpoint, after killing the MR2 and Cileca there is a big hole in the lineup. Toyota is actively challenging GM/F in every vehicle class including 1/2 ton and soon 3/4 and 1 ton class. It is really hard to beleive they will let this "hole"(sport RWD vehicle)unfilled for too long. Next fall will come the IS500 coupe, and that is a good time for lauch of a Toyota (lower cost) sports car base on the same IS/GS platform. If they will use the Supra name or not, it is hard to guess.
    Toyota to Revive Sports-Car Lineup

Washington, DC - June 20, 2006: The AIADA newsletter reported that Toyota executives overseas say they are gearing up to revive the automaker's sports-car lineup, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The new model "is going to be a global project, not one aimed at one region more than another," said Tokuo Fukuichi, a Toyota official from France. According to Shinzo Kobuki, Toyota managing officer in charge of development of hybrid systems, the company wants more sporty cars under its brand to compete with German luxury automakers such as Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and BMW.

AutoChannel.com

DrFill
    Them to use the 1960's "GT" moniker (as in 5000GT for a 5.0 V8), or Supra, as these are Toyota's only credible entries in their history as premium sports cars.

Also expect something next summer.

DrFill
    From product planning standpoint, after killing the MR2 and Cileca there is a big hole in the lineup.

Isn't that what Scion is for?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Isn't that what Scion is for?"

The hole in the lineup was for performance cars. Scion is an attempt to attract more first time buyers to Toyota (to reverse the trend of older and older folks buying Toyotas).

As far as I'm concerned Scion doesn't offer any performance cars (this coming from the owner of a Celica GTS who was might pissed when Toyota killed off all their performance cars).

Yes, I've driven the Scion tC. Yes, I really really wanted to like the tC (since it appears to be a good value). The tC is no replacement for my GTS. :(
    Between the 17K Scion and the 33K IS, there are plenty of room. Toyota has countless SUVs from Rav4 to L.C., if the same logic applies here, Toyota can fit 2 products between IS and Scion.
  • psychoartpsychoart Member Posts: 17
    Sometimes, it's not whether the car will sell or not. Toyota will have to show from time to time to consumers and prospective owners/buyers that it has the muscles, and possesses up-to-date and possibly the most advanced technologies available for sale with complete testing. In other words, it's called show off.

You might say that Lexus is the place where you show off, but that may not be necessarily true. Toyota is the root of the family. No one should laugh about it. I anticipate Toyota to bring the Supra in 1-2 years from now, after the Camry launch. It is inevitable since Toyota will need to recuperate money invested in the R&D for the hybrid, and to put forth more production and expertise of the hybrid system to lead the market.

Furthermore, Toyota does not want anyone else going in front of them with that technology. Otherwise, it will be a total shame. With a Lexus sedan in place utilizing a V8 hybrid, Toyota can now definitely bring a sport car with a V6 system without making fun of its luxury crowds in the States.

By mass producing more hybrid system, Toyota can lower the price of its technology in the longer run. Hence, Toyota will be able to achieve the starting price of nowadays sport car like the Z in the 30k. The Corvette was running all over the Porsche because it costed 40k instead of 60k. Well now, the new Supra would circle around GM with flying colors on Hybrid technology in more mpg.
    I disagree. Even though a hybrid Supra might run circles around a lot of things, in the U.S., the car will likely not sell. This country is facing a major recession, and the majority of consumers tend to go for practical during bad economic times. Two-door sport cars, hybrid or not, are hardly practical.

Before getting into arguments about the impending recession, a good look at the over-bought stock market, ridiculous trade deficit, crumbling real estate markets, pathetic job situation, and sky-rocketing energy prices should provide a clue as to what's headed our way economy-wise.

The new Camry, especially the hybrid, and the new Rav4, are Toyota's power plays. A new Supra won't even register as a blip on the radar. The timing is just wrong.

And by the way - I'm a huge Supra fan - owned two of them. Best cars I ever had.
    Performance sedans are for wannabe sporty driver, but not a real thing. They can't be used much for sporting or racing purposes.

Sorry dude, but I think it's the SC's that are wannabe sporty cars. Underpowered and soft sprung, the only "sporty" attributes are their owners trying to portray them as performance cars. My stock GS400 sedan will run circles around any SC past or present and smoke it on the drag strip. My old Supra would do the same. Heck, even my 4-cyl Subaru can easily outrun and outhandle the SC.

SC, while a very nice vehicle, was a car with no market direction - it was too cramped to be a true luxury car, and too soft and underpowered to be even remotely sporty, that's why it's dead.

But, as long as you enjoy your SC, the more power to you. It will be reliable and serve you well for a very long time.

Peace... ;)
  • lextasyes300lextasyes300 Member Posts: 1
    Post elsewhere? Import > American

BTW Do you own a Lexus LX470??? =]
    Wasn't designed to be a "performance car", although it the 400 was a sub-7 second car, it performed very well.

It was a Luxury GT, and one of the best ever. Didn't really have any weaknesses. Newer technologies just caught up with it, that's all. Lexus rested on it's laurels, and got caught flatfooted. The market passed it by, after 7-8 years.

If you have owned one anywhere near the prime of it's life, congrats!

DrFill
    it's lookin' iffy....check out this article:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/FREE/60814015/1041/P- ROMOBLOG01

and scroll about halfway down. "No Supra planned, all rumors to the contrary are false."

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

everyone has seen by now that R&T this month has a blurb in the Future Cars section on the 2008 Supra. It appears the on-again off-again rumors on this car are on again for now. Who knows. They say they have confirmation that Toyota is definitely working on a new Supra, even as Nissan gets ready to put out the next-gen 350Z (which will be little changed by the looks of it). Could be rumors, could be lies, who knows.

But I like the looks of the car they have illustrated in the picture. And they say Toyota is aiming for a $30K price point, and that the car will mechanically be an IS350 (but with a manual option I assume, whereas the IS350 is automatic-only). They are guessing a neighborhood of 350 hp - that engine makes 306 in the Lexus today, and I think they might be optimistic on the 350 figure. But even if it gets to 320 hp that will be pretty good in a 3200-pound body, and of course it will still be naturally aspirated, which I prefer to turbos and S/Cs.

I hope it really happens. I will start to save now - I expect that, knowing Toyota, the base price will be more like $35K, so I need to save a down payment! ;-)

I don't know about 2008. IS coupe will be late summer 07 and then the convertible IS in early 2008. I guess the Supra will be more like 2008 Summer model, which will make it a 2009 car? Which might be the same year for the Lexus GT? Look for sales in Europe to double again easily once those few cars come out.
    But let's entertain the lastest rumors.

As I puruse my coveted 1993 brouchure, the legendary 6-speed Supra Turbo had 320HP, 315 lb-ft., and weighed 3415 lbs.

I would bet the Next Supra would increase in power over a 15 year-old predecessor, no? I would expect 350HP, as the Z will be more powerful too.

If they made it any lighter than the last one, 0-60 would be solidly under 5 seconds!

Be mindful that the 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X is also supposed to have power in the 320HP neighborhood, plus lose weight to the tune of 2-300 lbs., weighing in at a rumored 3000 lbs. (more likely 3200).

One thing I do know for sure. It will be better than the Z, just like it was last time! better looking, too! :blush:

That next Evo X is pretty sweet, doh! :shades: That's my next car, at this moment in time.

DrFill
    Fear not Doc! The base engine on that '93 made about 230 hp, so we have come a long way, baby!

The optional engine in the '09 Supra should make 400 hp, I think, and yes, R&T is predicting a 0-60 of around 4.5 seconds.

This discussion has been closed.