Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Supra

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Toyota will eschew all likeness to the Volta concept in the design of its next "super car."
http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/toyota/supra/100486034/preview- .html

Comments

• klmjklmj Member Posts: 1
    Is this replacing the the MR2 OR the Celica?
    Will it be available in Canada?
  • paranoyaparanoya Member Posts: 2
    probably neither...
    I´m guessing it´s gonna compete against a Mazda RX-8 and a Nissan 350Z...
    if so, that would make it more expensive than an old Celica

I sure hope that they DO come to Canada!
  • xgc75xgc75 Member Posts: 1
    Any of this look familiar? Remember the days 10 years back when the Rx7, 240Zx, Supra and 3000GT stood tall? With the renewal of the 350Z, Rx8 (and I hear rumors of a ~$40k Rx7 coming), and now the Supra, things are looking up. I hope Mitsubishi can pull itself together and revive the 3000GT, then I'll be in heaven.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    It WILL be the genisis of Supra, as the PLATFORM should produce the next Supra as it's offspring. That is the Lexus "exotic concept" testing.

I expect a 290+ HP tuned 3.5L V6 (pulled from the '06 Avalon), hopefully about 200ils lighter than the 350z, and much better looking.

DrFill
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    Where you been? Mitsubishi is selling Evo's ranging from $26k - $34k right now that has more performance than the 3000GT ever had (0-60, 1/4, braking, AWD)...

As for the Supra pic above, I've been seeing that pic for months now...
    Where you been? Mitsubishi is selling Evo's ranging from $26k - $34k right now that has more performance than the 3000GT ever had (0-60, 1/4, braking, AWD)...

As for the Supra pic above, I've been seeing that pic for months now...
  • jasonvsujasonvsu Member Posts: 6
    The new Supra should perform like the old Supra and I think that there are lots of people that remember it having a V-8. I am curious to see what the design of the car will look like because it has alot of stiff competition. I think that the car won't do well if it aims to just be a 350Z competitor. The 90's Supra was Toyota's Corvette. That is what I think that it should be.

They should offer the 3.5 V6 but also a V8 and a Supercharged V8 with a design that makes people forget about the 350Z or the Mustang or the Corvette. Toyota has the potential to take them all on if it wants to.

There was one design that looked like the 2000GT in the front from the 70's and the Supra of the 90's in the back. I think it is on the autospies website.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    *tears* I loved the days when Mitsu had the 3000GT and Toyota had the Supra. The Supra was like Corvette was to Chevy, and I cursed Toyota when they dropped it. But now.... boy that car looks nice. They should have the 3.5L taken from the Avalon, tuned to around 300hp, and sell it for around 30k.... Mustang killer, eh? Then they should have a high-performance V-10 hybrid (Viper killer).

Also, the Evo is no replacement for the 3000GT. The Evo is a dressed up Lancer, and most older folk would feel very silly in one. The 300GT looked like a real sports car, and the Evo looks a little too square. Don't get me wrong, the Evo is great, but the 300GT was just as great, in a different way. Also, the Evo has four real doors.

Ah, I love Supras.
    "3.5L taken from the Avalon, tuned to around 300hp, and sell it for around 30k.... Mustang killer, eh?"

Nope. Not unless they price it for like $25k
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    isn't it high time for an 8-cyl Supra? :-0

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

At least it wouldn't look like a fossil from the 50's.

DrFill

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

True.... I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that the new Mustang looks terrible....

Regardless of price, people would buy the Supra. I mean, people bought the last gen 'stang. And Celica.... which was.... err....

Also, a Toyota is a Toyota, so which would you feel more comfortable in? If they could get 300 out of a V-6, imagine what they could do with a hybrid V-8 if they extended themselves!!

---Chris
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Supra had a fairly short run as a bona fide lust-after car. By the time it was reaching for the top rung it was overpriced and overweight. A comparable product today would fit into the Lexus marketing pyramid, not the Toyota pyramid.

While the Mustang as a proposed pricing object may not appeal to everyone (I like it, but I think it's bigger than it needs to be), it's right on target for its segment. Could be Ford's only homer this year, especially considering how the 500 turned out (blecch)!
    Yep. The 500 was a flop. I'm not holding out for a great Fusion, the Focus needs an upgrade, the Freestar.... blcuk. Ford's Mustang seems the only silver lining, but that's not really the point.

Since Toyota has cut all of its two door sporty models (OK, Solara) it needs at least one new one. It isn't for sales as much as it is for sales of other cars. It's the whole halo car mentality, and its worked for many other car makers. Drag people in to see a Supra, and they come out with a Camry. Trust me, it would work with me and my wife.... and we wouldn't end up with the Supra. Besides, we all know that Toyota doesn't have to overprice their cars. Look at the Scion tC.
    Just maybe, that's why the Camry rose to promenance?

People in to ogle the Supra (1993-1998), and were sold the Camry while they were there?

1992-1995 is when Camry surged up the sales charts.

An excellent model, covered by an unbeatable Halo!

DrFill
    Solara? Sporty? Wow, that would not be my idea of sport.

It's a tough market for Supra to enter these days. You can't develop a car like that SOLELY to be a halo car.

You've got Mustang (crude handling, very heavy for a sport coupe, but a heck of a V-8), Eclipse (ditto except no V-8), 350Z (superb in many ways but a little heavy and large-feeling for a sport coupe) and RX-8 (small, lithe, loves to rev but little torque/power off the line).

Where does a hypothetical Supra fit in amongst that crew?On the high end, you are also bracketed by CrossFire and Corvette, and let's not forget the unloved GTO - what does that car's doomed existence tell Toyota?

One, it's too late to the party. By 2008 this sports car kick will be over. And that's the earliest we'd see one.

Two, they WILL make this Lexus Supercar, and WON'T dumb down that car to make a $30k Johnny come lately!

DrFill
    "...let's not forget the unloved GTO - what does that car's doomed existence tell Toyota?"

That GM can have 7/8ths of the equation right and still screw up mightily on the last 0.125?

;-)

Agreed, I think, all the way around.

Frankly, if they do come out with an IS300 coupe this go 'round, it would be closest to the real Supra we knew (assuming there's a true performance package and a bumped up plant) of old. I'd peg that at about 40 grand maybe.

For a Supra on more Toyota terms (something the every-man can aspire to), I think I'd be looking at Scion for the future.

Just a guess.
    wait, why would an IS300 coupe come in at $40K if the sedan is going to start around $30K?

I'd go for an IS coupe.

No no, dear boy, that would be for a plus-rated engine and a real performance package on top of a mid-level IS coupe! That would make it something like the later, lustable Supras.

I don't think the IS line will top out at at $30K territory by any stretch. That'll be just the OPP, I'm betting...
    ah, now you have my wishful thinking imagining an IS430 coupe, with all the suspension and tire trimmings. That would easily be worth $40K and more. :-)

Yeah, kinda tasty, ain't it. :-)

Won't happen though; at least not with the eight. Can't have a two-door at $40K+ that would put to shame the ultra-blah SC at $65K!

I could see it with a six and a breather (down the road), perhaps. Still pretty tasty I think.
    Hmm... I like. I really want a supercharged SC.... oh well. I just really like the Supra a bunch.
  • supragirl06supragirl06 Member Posts: 1
    I totally agree with the idea of making a new Supra with an even bigger faster engine, I mean whats their racing car now...The Celica? I wish they would have dropped it instead. It looks just like everything else now, they should have changed the Celica its boring now. The Supra was different much different and it had evolved so much. I am also curious to see what it will look like they should defiantly keep the tail and head lights from around 93 until they discontinued though. Thats a big part of what sets the Supra apart from everything else!
    "Can't have a two-door at $40K+ that would put to shame the ultra-blah SC at $65K!"

Not sure I totally agree here. Sell the IS430 coupe without the option of a targe roof or a convertible or anything like that, and what it will be is a pure-focus sports car. The SC, OTOH, is a style cruiser. It makes a statement, which is "I am an older, affluent person who loves to cruise around town in style, and catch some rays". The SC is NOT a sporting car, despite being fast in straight-line acceleration. It is mostly a statement car, a prestige-mobile, and a very comfy one at that.

• toyota_protoyota_pro Member Posts: 1
    if they took the same 280hp motor out of the avalon (packing dual vvt-i, with dohc/4 valves per cylinder---(24v) trimmed it out on a light weight chasse with a more "aerodynamic" design, they would have a player. the weak "z" car and the maxima cannot even compare with toyota ingenuity and design.
    The Supra was (IMO) a very good car, and I think that Toyota can easily outclass 350Z, RX8, Crossfire, and even regular Corvette with this new thing. Hooray for halo cars.
    Celica is now discontinued...
  • 84supra84supra Member Posts: 1
    I'm building a 85 toyota supra and i am trying to find out if the 86-91 7MGTE 3.0 motor will fit where the smaller 5MGE 2.8 they are both inline 6 i need to know if the 3.0 will bolt right up
    I kinda doubt it - the 86 1/2 had a much longer hood line than the 85.

I thought this was the 2007 Supra thread?

• ryousukeryousuke Member Posts: 12
    i agree... the main enemy of the supra performance wise was its heavy weight. If they put a bigger engine in, it would make weight a bigger handicap. The biggest engine they can fit without gaining weight is the 3UZ-FE V-8(the engine in the GS,LS,SC) which they do for the Japanese GT Championship. This is why I dont think they will have a motor larger than a V-8....It would be logical to use either the avalon motor (if they put in duall vvtL-i it owuld be sweeter), and maybe even bolt a turbo on it, or they could make a new engine that is a new version of the one in the old supra, the 2JZ-G(T)E. maybe they make a 3JZ-G(T)E... if toyota got really lazy i guess they could pull out a 3UZ-FE and stick it in the new supra now if you're wondering about all this engine designation gibberish, the stuff before the - is just a name for the engine, while the last three indicate: G-engine built for performance
    F-engine built for fuel economy
    T-turbo (or twin turbo)
    E-EFI
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I agree the "affordable sports car" market isn't that hot. Yes, they have lots of power and can go 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds. But they are highly impractical for daily driving which means anybody who buys the Z or the Vette probably has another car that serves his day to day needs. Having said that, I think if Toyota can price and market the car right they have a good shot of capturing a significant portion of the sports car pie. I personally think the engine choices most likely to be in the production version would be the current 3.5 L engine in the Avalon although I am sure it would be modified to produce at least another 20 to 30 Hp. The optional engine would most likely be the 4.3 L v8 found in the Lexus LS and GS. That engine could easily produce another 100 or so horsepower. Now if they can price the V6 in the high 20s to low 30s and the V8 in the low to mid 40s I think this car could be a great success.
  • ryousukeryousuke Member Posts: 12
    yea... that pricing would be fine the V8 should be in the mid 30s (hard since im workign with canada-US dollar conversion; i just wish u'd use our dollar :p. high pricing is what killed the last supra's sales
  • sharinganpwnssharinganpwns Member Posts: 1
    If lexus does unveil a lexus GS hybrid v8 at the New York Auto Show, why not put it in the future supra? just tune it for a bit more power maybe then seems like itd be all set. just got to see when they plan to sell the GS450 hybrid
    the GS is a much bigger car than one would hope the Supra would be. The RX400H uses 240 NiMH batteries - they take up a lot of space. The 400+ hp hybrid powertrain they will use for the GS450H and the new hybrid LS will presumably need even more. Where would all those batteries go in the Supra?

besides, I think the world in general forgives real sports cars their fuel consumption. If you've got the money to buy one, you've got the money for the gas.

• 1989mark71989mark7 Member Posts: 1
    Do you guys know that in the 1990's that a Supra was nearly $48,000? Imagine how much it would be now?
  • karl3karl3 Member Posts: 2
    if they could bring back the supra, stick in a turbocharged or supercharged V-6 or V-8 and price it in the mid to high 30s it would sell like nothing else the car market has ever seen. With these tuner kids puting $100K into celicas why not get something that has some GO to go with all that SHOW. I am positive that Toyota will replace the celica with something, maybe something in the same ballpark as the supra, but nothing that could compete with it performace wise. the ' 07 "super supra" is never going into production like it is now. it will probably have a 200hp naturally aspirated V-6 and will be just another bland touring car.
    the last year they sold the Supra in the U.S., the list price for the base model with the NA motor was about $33K.

Even the twin turbo was only $42K, or something like that.

Now in 1995 the twin turbo reached $50K sticker, and Toyota realized it had gone too far. It promptly gave all the existing owners the shaft (bye bye resale value!) by lowering the price $10K for the following model year.

They could easily do a car that would outrun everything but the Corvette for less than $40K, using many existing components of the new Lexus cars. Which is not to say that they will do so.

• lemonedlemoned Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I know this isnt about the car you guys are talking about, but...
    Does anyone know how much HP a stock 87 MKIII non-turbo Supra has?
    Also, how much does a twin-turbo 95 MKIIII Supra engine have? I plan on swaping one into my 87 Supra sometime... and knowing the numbers helps :)
    Thanks.

:lemon: ed
    NA '87 Supra was 200 hp even. That was a notably heavy car that didn't increase in speed much beyond its 161 hp 1985 predecessor. The TT Supra from the mid-90s, I forget, 300 hp? I think that's about right. It doesn't sound like a whole ton now, but a decade ago that was a lot of power. And of course, this is an engine renowned for being able to handle enormous boosts in power without having to strengthen the bottom end.

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Actually, the TT-Supra from the mid-90's was at 320hp (stock). I think the turbo 300ZX was at 300hp.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    But is the Supra still sold anywhere in the world under the design we had until '98 or it was just killed to reappear sometime in 2007? If it's still available, could someone tell me where because I'm curious to know in what country people can still get some! :confuse:
    get them for many years in Japan after they left the States. I think they quit making them a couple of years ago? Maybe three? I lose track of time!

• karl3karl3 Member Posts: 2
    In theory if you did buy a supra from japan and brought it to the US you would face these problems:

A) have to undergo strict power-robbing emissions check.

B) the insurance on the car would be 1/4 the price of the car every month. and

C) I seriously doubt that the japanese kept the TT package on for SEVEN years after being removed from the US market. especially when the japanese roads are about the width of a US sidewalk and the supra was about 30 feet wide.

my guess is that 6 months after being pulled from the US market the production of supras ceased altogether.

And besides it'd be a righty-drive on the RIGHT side of the road, a feat far easier said than done.

Ed
    no no, karl, there was a JDM version of the car, left drive and all! And they did a minor revamp for '99, which is when they quit exporting it to the U.S. That car got built through the '03 MY, I think, but as I said, time goes by so fast, my recollection is fuzzy as to exact dates...

Anyway I wonder if Toyota would still build the next Supra with the next Lexus IS platform (the current one is from the Supra from what I heard). If they did, it'd become useless since Lexus plans an IS coupe! And Toyota said the ES was going to be the last car based on a Toyota (except from JX, GX and RX) so I really wonder if Toyota would really want to build an all new platform for ONE car. The next Supra's certainly not going to be FWD and share components with Camry or Avalon!
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    umm... Infiniti G35 Coupe and Nissan 350Z co-exist quite peacefully and both serve their markets well.
    Not sure why they couldn't do a IS Coupe and Supra.
    Lexus said the last car (excluding S.U.V.) that was going to share components with a Toyota was the ES... But I seriously think Toyota is determined to bring back the Supra here, because they see Nissan's tremendous success with their Z. Not to say that RX-8 is back, whatever the success it gets. Toyota has so much cash, I don't really see why they wouldn't build another one, it would handle really well the role of Toyota's halo car and Lexus could have its own, the LF-S!
    That would also allow Toyota to stick it to Nissan for not bringing the Skyline to the US! (I would take either)
This discussion has been closed.