Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Hey Vince,
    I agree with you about the gas shortage. Last I heard was that the refineries were operating close to 100% capacity and that there was an abundant supply of gas. I think the prices are simply a means to push a political agenda at the moment.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    not moving ahead on some models and putting them into production. The new 2003 Ranger will be delayed up to 3 years!!. Basically Ford plans on just doing tweaks to the present Ranger and not adding any new engines other than the 2.3 to replace the 2.5 4cyl. Bummer, I red the new Ranger was supposed to be about the size of a Dakota, and possibly have a diesel engine available and the engine compartment was large enough for a small V8....
  • jwmitch94jwmitch94 Member Posts: 1
    Is the old 4.0 a good engine? I have considered buying a new 2000 with the old 4 liter engine. They have one left and are giving me an incredible deal to get it off their lot. I have heard some bad things about this engine in favor of the new SOHC 4.0, but I will save about $3,000. I am not to concerned about the difference in power, I am concerned about problems or longivety.

Thanks
  • derekshawnderekshawn Member Posts: 10
    Just a word of warning for all you Ranger owners out there. I had an unknown substance drip all over the paint (probably tree sap) of my 2000 Ranger and I washed it off within a week. But it was too late and the paint had cracked everywhere the substance had been sitting. It is currently in the body shop getting a complete new paint job at no cost because of warranty and I was told this was nothing new to the body shop manager. Hopefully the new paint will be a little more durable. Other than that, I love my Ranger, 19k miles and not one problem to report.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    I've read stories on older Rangers getting a 429 or 460 with only have to relocate the transmission crossmember and flanging out the lower firewall opening. I think it was pre-97, but looks like plenty of room in there for a 5.0 or 351 easy... But maybe it's the newer ones you're referring to...
  • jfowlerjrjfowlerjr Member Posts: 20
    I've had my truck for 2 weeks now and I must say that I love this truck. The new 4.0 liter engine is wonderful, I've averaged 19mpg so far with 2 fillups. I have had two minor problems with the truck though.

1)The hood wasn't centered when I bought the truck and had to be reset.

2)I keep getting the stupid door ajar light and buzzer going every time I go over a bump in the road. Has anybody else had this minor problem and how did you fix it.

James
  • msalopekmsalopek Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone got info on the 2002 Ranger.
    Specifically any changes to the interior of
    a 2wd XLT Super Cab.
  • frey4frey4 Member Posts: 30
    the pushrod v6 4 liter is a fairly primitive design, and uses fuel, but i know a number of these engines that have gone 200K without rebuilding. they are notorious for sounding like "ball bearings rattling around in a coffee can". the engine is noisy, especially when cold. i have a 2000 Ranger with the 4.0 pushrod. it is great with the 5 speed auto tranny because it has a huge amount of torque. i love the drivetrain, but hate the "shakes" i have inmy truck. it vibrates to beat hell, and i can't seem to find out why. i am considering trading it in for either a toyota tundra or a Chevy 1500 series. i am pretty much done with little vibrating toy trucks.
  • mac74mac74 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 98 Ranger ext. cab with the 3.0 engine and 4 speed automatic trans. I was changing the spark plugs and noticed that the three on one side are marked PG and the three on the other side are marked P. The owners manual says this is important. However I bought new Motorcraft plugs and there was nothing about this on the computer at the auto parts store. Is this just something Ford does at the factory to meet emission standards or something, or should I get new plugs marked in this manner?

Also, what is this K&M air filter that has been mentioned alot on this board. Is K&M the manufacturer? Who carries this brand? I have access to Pep Boys and Auto Zone stores in my part of the country.

Thanks
    It's K&N, not K&M. Should be in either store you mentioned.
    Why? These are platnum tipped plugs and should last at least 75K, Ford recommends 100K but I would change them no later than 75K.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I'm in the market for a soft tonneau cover and would appreciate any opinions on what other Ranger owners have. I Recently had a fiberglass cover but I sold it because when I had to say, bring a snow thrower in for repair it would be cumbersome with the cover open like a clamshell. Any opinions would be appreciated.
  • goldrangergoldranger Member Posts: 54
    frey4,

I sure would check out the chevy/gmc posts before I bought one of them. They changed my mind from a 2001 GMC Sport Special Edition to a Ranger 2k1 4.0 super cab. I'm VERY happy with my Ranger. My 90 Ranger 2.3 4cyl went 165,000 & was still going strong when I sold it. Of your choices, mine would be Toyota. Good Luck
  • frey4frey4 Member Posts: 30
    i agree with you; the Toyota would (quality wise) likely be a better choice than the GMC product. however, that 1500 is a fine truck, according to all the reviews i've been reading. i'd love my Ranger if it werent' for my feet and legs going to sleep when i drive it on the freeway for more than 15 minutes. i have a sick feeling that it is engine vibration getting into the cab; i.e. it is a desgin flaw. that is one reason perhaps Ford wisely is using the smoother OHC V6 in the new Ranger. i hope to sell this truck soon, before it depreciates another year.
    in the meantime, i am driving my old '89 Nissan (170 000 miles with no trouble).
    good luck.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    jfowler:

Get your anwser yet on the door chimes? The door switch is to blame. Ford will replace or you can clean with WD40.

hciaffa:

Covers, I use a TecSport, have had it for 2 years. It works fine but do not roll it up and tie it against the back of the cab, take it off if you need to use the bed. It scratches the paint. You can sort of see it here:

http://members.aol.com/Cpousnr/index2a.html

• goofyandpupgoofyandpup Member Posts: 9
    hciaffa... I had an Extang Black Max on my '98. I seldom removed it. After about 2 years of New England weather I had to remove it to pickup a chair at the local furniture store. I broke 7 snaps trying to get it off. Half the snap was on the truck, the other half was in the tonneau. I suspect metal fatigue due to freeze/thaw cycles. Extang replaced it in 2 weeks under warranty (3yr warranty). I'm probably to blame since I installed it "tight" in the summer and probably it got a lot tighter in the winter.

cpousnr.... Chief - Nice truck. Just one question. Where did you get a styrofoam beer cooler that size?

John
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    Three kids in college. . .!

It is a 200 Gal Water tank. I attempted that trail, Music Pass, Nov before last, not much snow then, but slid back 100 ft on a very icy last climb to the top. Stalled truck, saw a tree in the rearview mirror and steered the bed into the tree to stop!
    Anybody else sick of hearing Ranger (or B-Series) "Still has no v8"??? Almost every reviewer sticks this into their review. Only Dakota offers one! S10, Sonoma, Frontier, Tacoma don't offer it either, but not one word about the missing v8. I would love to see a 4.6l v8 appear in the Ranger, but a $220 dollar option for a 4.0l (on Edge Plus package) will suffice for now...
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I will second that. Besides, with my Edge SWB 4.0 V6 with 5 speed manual, who needs a V8? I can't keep the rear wheels on the ground as it is! I put a Flowmaster muffler and K & N air filter on and it sounds like a V8.
    I'd like to hear a dual exhaust, free-flowing cats, and a X pipe. And on a regular cab with 5 speed manual, this would roar!
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    I'm picking up my new black truck in a couple of hours! I can't wait to see how that 4.0L SOHC works with the manual transmission! Ford sure is offering great rates now for both financing (1.9 for 48) and leasing (1.9 for 36). If there are any problems with the rig, I will keep you up to date!
    I don't know how legal a "free flowing cat" would be here in Calif. but there are four (4) cat converters on my truck. According to my muffler guy even a straight muffler like a Cherry Bomb would not make too much noise. Mine now has a deeper more mellow tone with the Flowmaster. I have used Magna Flows in the past but he said I would hear almost no change in sound with it on the Ranger.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    has a 79 Trans Am (Silver, but otherwise like Burt Reynolds') which he took the mufflers off.

it is louder, but not too loud. it still has the cat(s?) as far as I know.
    Once you hear open headers at the track on a chevy 454, and ford 460's, everything else is quiet. :)

sasquatch->Perhaps he still has the stock exhaust in place? Is it a big block?

DesertGuy->Haven't researched the aftermarket for cat-backs on new Rangers yet,(not until I get my 01 or 02 4.0l.) But I'd bet you could find some 50 state legal, or cali-specific kit, if not not, but in the not so distant future.
    also to trade my 98 in for a 01 4.0 Edge. Test drove one about a week or so ago and the power difference comparing the old 4.0 to the new is like night and day. Ford has delayed the 03 Ranger and this body style we see now will be around for awhile. Ford just plans to tweak and tune the Ranger for a while..
    Checking the Borla Exhaust web site shows a cat-back system for the Ranger 4.0 running 525.00. Installation would be extra of course. The MagnaFlow site also lists one but no suggested price. My muffler shop was quoting duals with X pipe at around $400-$450. The Flowmaster that I have installed cost $100 with larger inlet and outlet pipes. They call the stock muffler a "suitcase" muffler as it looks like one and has all kinds of baffles in it.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    ...actually on a Mazda...quite revvy for truck engine, it was cool...epa 24/28 for a stick, 21/25 for auto matic.
  • astaplesastaples Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on buying a ranger sometime in november. My main question revolves around which engine to get. After watching the gas prices go up I think that the 3.0 might be the way to go, but the power of the 4.0 sure is tempting. My question is this, can you really tell the difference between the two? And does anyone know if a manual transmission is going to be available with the 4.0 in the 2002? Right now thats an issue as well.

Staples
    The mileage for the 3.0 manual is 17/22. The 4.0 is 16/20 although I think my sticker with CA emissions says 22 mpg. This small difference would not be a reason for me to choose one vehicle over another. And we are talking 207hp vs 150hp for the 3.0. You CAN tell the difference.
    go for the 4.0 I got mine 4/31/01 & its great. No engine problems in 2450 miles. 18.3 mpg in heavy traffic with a/c on most of the time. 01 supercab 2x4 4.0liter 5sp auto. I like mine. Check the Ranger problems page. It sounds like you have to use 87 octane to keep the 3.0 from pinging.
    Gibson makes a low restriction muffler with a 2.5" pipe for the 01 Ranger. Sells for $253 @ carparts.com It is susposed to be bolt on. Has anyone tried it?
    From what I've seen the 4.0l is a $220 option, when available, over the 3.0l. MPG is less with the extra cubes, but there's plenty of power to be had!
  • blueovalbanditblueovalbandit Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 Ranger 4x4. I have the 4.0L. Before I bought it, I test drove a 4.0L auto, a 3.0L auto and the 3.0L man, HUGE difference. 207hp to 150hp. Get the 4.0L. Definately.
    I can tell you that my factory muffler was welded on at both ends, no clamps. So what does bolt on mean in that situation? The factory one has to be cut off with a torch or sawed off. Is the Gibson then going to be long enough? I dunno.
    Finally found my window sticker. It shows 18 city and 22 hwy for the 4.0 V6. This is different from what Edmunds lists. My last tank was 20mpg but then I only have 1500 miles on the odo. The 4.0 was a $720 option but was then discounted $500 hence the $220 final premium.
  • blueovalbanditblueovalbandit Member Posts: 2
    Getting back to the subject of people putting the Ranger down because of its lack of V8..... I just bought a brand new Black 2001 Ranger XLT 4x4 Off Road with the SOHC 4.0L V6. Its only a V6, but it more than enough gets the job done. The only reason why you hear of Ford not having a V8 is because the owners of the Toyotas, Chevys, GMCs, and the Nissans are all jealous of the power the 4.0L has and thats the only way they can put a Ford down.
    Just curious as I'm shopping for a 2002 4.0l Ranger, but did you get the manual or auto? What kind of RPM's are you experiencing?
  • ledwidgeledwidge Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my new Ranger last week (4.0, automatic, 3.55LS, 4 doors, everything but 4x4).

I like everything about it except the way it sounds. There's this sound that I'd describe as almost like a "moan". You can alter the note by changing the load or RPMs. It's most noticable in the cab but also at the driver's rear fender.
    My guess is something in the air intake system or perhaps a pump. I'll check the fuel pump tonight. That might explain why it's noticable at the left rear. Any thoughts on what might be causing it and how to cure/mask the problem?

Second question. My seat belt keeps coming unbuckled. The first 10 times I wrote it off to me but now I'll be getting a new buckle. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    I have the manual trans. I have not been pushing the truck yet (1550 miles) so haven't paid much attention to the revs. I cruise to work at about 72mph all the way so I will take note of what rpms this represents. Going trough the gears, it seems 4500 rpm is a good time to shift. (for speed not economy) There is no redline so I assume there is a built in rev limiter. I wish I had posi-traction but don't know if it is even offered. I can chirp the tires at all shifts except 5th of course.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    I have been very pleased with everything on the Ranger, except the gas mileage at approximately 15mpg! I know this will get better in time; I only have 440 miles on the truck. The 5 speed manual works great with the SOHC motor. I shift at about 3000 rpm in normal driving, but have had it close to 5000rpm a couple of times recently, and it pulls hard in the upper rpms. This engine is much smoother than the old 2.9/4.0L. With the 4.10 axle, 5th gear at 80mph is approx 3000 rpm. And the truck does have a speed governor at 91mph, which seems a little low to me! The engine and tranny combination would be really quick in a regular cab 2wd XLT, which can now be ordered. Wouldn't have room for my dog though!
  • mrevsmrevs Member Posts: 1
    The 4.0 is the only way to go. I just picked up my 2001 xlt supercab. Awesome power.I traded in a 1997 Dodge Ram with a 5.2 v8, what a hunk of crap. Never again used, never again Dodge! The Ranger's v6 is more responsive, quieter and with only 700miles on the clock I'm getting 17 mpg a/c constantly on. Best pickup I've ever owned. (second runner up 1995 f-250 xlt )
    At my normal go-to-work cruising speed of 72 to 73mph the tac shows 2500rpm. At 80mph it is 2750rpm. I consider this to be reasonably relaxed for 5th gear.
  • sporttrac4x4sporttrac4x4 Member Posts: 13
    I own a 2001 Ford Sporttrac with the 4.0 with auto very cool truck and the engine is great 12k miles now.
    I also own a 2001 XLT Ranger Reg Cab 4x2 with 3.0 and manual.Only 4k miles but the 3.0l is more power than i need mated with the 5 speed manual.

ST is pulling about 18mpg on average and is much heavier and auto.

Ranger is pulling 22 on average. both 87 octane no pinging or problems with either truck.
    any of you Ranger fans looking for more cabin space while giving up a little bed and adding a little luxery check out the Ford Sportrac a few more dollars then an extra cab Ranger but the women love it.

I also love my Ranger though wife wont get out of the damn ST.
    I think I'll stick to a ranger, hence the name of the forum... :)
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    I've found the brand new 2001 Ranger XLT 4 cyl I might want to buy. Color, interior and everything. But, it's got the 2.5 instead of the new 2.3 engine. I'm not hard and fast on the new 2.3, but logic says if it's new, it's got to be better, right? Should I plunge, or look elsewhere until I find the 2.3?
    I bought a 2001 XLT regular cab with the 3.0L and 5sp manual 4 k miles now and i love it. I tried the 2.5 and found the lack of power and the dancing shifter irritating. Id wait for a 2.3 or go with the 3l or even 4l.
    To me, it would depend on the deal you can get. I have a local dealer here who has a brand new left over 2000 XLT supercab manual with the 2.5. It only has 46 miles so was not a demo. I drove it and thought the 2.5 had plenty of pep at least with the manual. Unfortunately the deal they offered was not good enough as it would be almost 2 yrs old when I drove it off the lot. So...I got the Edge Plus 4.0. The salesman there didn't even know that they currently make the 2.3 liter.
  • 2k1edge4x42k1edge4x4 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 4.0l edge 5 sp auto (grr auto, but only choice for power mirrors doorlocks and 6-disc changer) and i notice that when i go over bumps there is a short creek coming from the dash, almost like a tick noise. anyone else experiencing this? other than that, powerful truck! and the chicks dig the bright island blue!
This discussion has been closed.