Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Hmh maybe someone at the dealership had already bought that particular RRS SE and they were planning to sell it used. The bulletins I have seen listed that only employees could buy an SE Range Sport but that was several months ago maybe they have changed the policy.

Other differences that I can remember with the RRS SE.

1. No Bi-Xenon head lights
    2. Standard interior only luxury interior not avalible.

Thats all I can remember.
  • uscrrsuscrrs Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the post, yea the color match does look good, I'm gonna get around to going to a bodyshop and getting an estimate on that eventually, I'll let you know about it when i find out.
  • chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    I have searched all over the internet, and haven't been able to find a single bit of information on crash test results for the Range Rover Sport (or any other Land Rover, for that matter!) The only things I found were a few particularly grisly crash photos.

Has anyone had any crash experience in a Range Rover Sport? I think the vehicle is absolutely beautiful, but I'm worried about safety. It looks like there are a lot of safety features, but I'm a little nervous due to the lack of independent testing, so I'm hoping someone will share some personal experiences.

Thanks a lot!

CM
    It has not been out long enough to be crash tested. The LR3 has not been tested yet either independently but it should be soon.

I have a link to the European crash test results of the Full Size Range Rover.

Right here.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=9&id2=126
  • chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the link! It looks like the full-size Range Rover is fairly safe, so I'm hoping that since the Sport is an even newer model, it will be even better.

I have also considered a Mercedes ML500, because the crash test results are exceptional, but I think the Range Rover Sport is a much nicer vehicle.

As usual, I'm confused!

Thanks again for your help.

CM
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    I have the dealer racks and crossbars. You can see how they look at this neat site for UK Land Rover: http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Range_Rover_Sport/Accessories/accessories_tool.htm-

There is some wind noise with the cross bars in place, but no more than in any other SUV I have had. The RRS is so slippery otherwise, however, that you may sense them more since is it so quiet otherwise. I have a set of Yakima kayak carriers fitted to my crossbars, and they do make a little more noise. However, the crossbars are easy to remove when you aren't needing them.

BGreig
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I have a Black/Black SC. A Vesuvius is arriving that I ordered before getting the Black. My Black SC has been trouble-free at 3,500 miles. It will cost me approx $9,000. Would I be really stupid to trade for the Vesuvius? :confuse:
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Yes, you would be. :) But maybe not as stupid as the disposable income people that paid $25K over list for the ones around here.

Anyway, this makes it look mild:

LAND ROVER NORTH AMERICA SHOWS CUSTOMIZED RANGE ROVER SPORT IN VEGAS
    Land Rover Partners with Troy Lee Designs for SEMA 2005

LAS VEGAS, Nov. 1, 2005 - Land Rover North America today presents the first Range Rover Sport to appear at the annual Specialty Equipment Manufacturer’s Association (SEMA) show. Celebrating a successful U.S. launch earlier this summer, Land Rover unveils a concept from the custom paint shop of Troy Lee Designs, a major supplier and designer of premium motorcycle, ATV, and bicycle competition apparel.

Inspired by the ‘technicolors’ of Las Vegas, the Range Rover Sport Supercharged is packed with details. Completed in Southern California at Faerber Productions, Land Rover’s long-time product development partner, the 10-stage painting process was conceived and executed by Troy Lee Designs.

Starting with three coats of House of Kolor™ black paint for the base color, the process included over 250 hours – from base coat to hand painted design and finishing. This includes innovative design details throughout the vehicle – most impressively the application of 12 karat white gold leaf for the Range Rover lettering. Using colors ranging from Tru Blu Metallic to Candy Tangerine and Cherry Pearl, the end result delivers a one-of-a-kind creation that immediately states ‘Vegas.’

“At this year’s SEMA show, Land Rover wanted to celebrate the success of the Range Rover Sport launch,” said Land Rover Brand Manager Greg Gilliland. “The driving concept was a Range Rover Sport for Las Vegas .”

The 2006 Range Rover Sport’s interior is complete with hand-painted Candy Apple Red trim, and a customized, ultra-premium 1000-watt harman/kardon® LOGIC7™ audio system.

“Land Rover wanted a vehicle uniquely designed for Las Vegas, so I got out the spray guns and went for it,” said Troy Lee, owner Troy Lee Designs. “The result is a Range Rover Sport with a scheme inspired by the ‘technicolors’ of Vegas.”

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=21935&make_id=625
  • wgcdrewgcdre Member Posts: 3
    Regarding Mileage, my RRS HSE currently reads Avg MPG at 8.1 MPG. Is this normal????
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    Got a Silver RRS SC with ACC, PTI, DVD, and Sirius. While there are many shared parts with the LR3, this is an entirely different beast. Wonderful handling, very powerful, very tight. I have no complaints about interior.. I think Land Rover wanted a tasteful, subtle interior. A great, great vehicle!
    Depends on your driving style so it might be.

Are you flooring it around every corner and from every stop light and doing almost no highway driving.
    Only city driving at the moment. I keep my RPMs under 2.5.
  • roverelvisroverelvis Member Posts: 4
    18" wheels on the se as well (19 on hse, 20 on sc)
    Thanks I knew there was something else.
  • socalroversocalrover Member Posts: 3
    I've currently got around 400 miles on my RRS and am at 8.5 mpg. I do a lot of city driving unfortunately most of the time in traffic, and also a lot of driving through the Hills. I figure the combo of the two plus no driving on the highway is why my mpg is so poor. It's a good thing gas is so affordable these days!
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    When I got my RRS SC, it had 7 miles on it. I just put my first 250 miles on it, and got 12.1 mpg. I was not driving hard, but was pleased with the mileage on this first tank.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    I have to rant for a bit about the ridiculous contraption Land Rover calls the tow hitch receiver. Shared with the LR3, they've come up with a removable hitch receiver that fits into a slot in the undercarriage. I'm sure they are patting themselves on the back for the wonderful piece of engineering that went into the removable device, but it's usability is called in to question. For starters, it sits back about 7 inches from the front of the bumper, making the purchase of a hitch extension (around $70) practically a must. And more annoyingly, it sits so darn low (only about 11" off the ground on the RRS), that bike racks etc. that are plugged into it allow the bikes to sit dangerously close to the ground. I'm now searching for a *rising* extension to get the rack higher at least 5" or so to where it should have been in the first place. That'll probably be another $70 on top of the $300 it cost for the hitch receiver itself. I've embarrassed myself one too many times by sneaking around parking lots with a tape measure seeing that the average height of a hitch is around 16-17", half a foot higher than LR's.

What were they thinking?!?!??! Besides, "We don't want to ruin the lines of the Sport by installing a more permanent solution. " Has anyone else used this thing and found any solutions to raising it up?
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    after 1900 miles i'm getting around 13 mpg. I've got in to the habit of leaving the average MPG display on to remind me to ease into the gas pedal and coast to stop lights.

i'm finding myself overly gleeful with each tenth of an MPG I gain. :)
    Once you get a few more thousand miles on the clock the MPG should go up a little bit. At 1900 miles the engine is pretty much broken in but the rest of the drive train is not.
    Does anyone know how to activate this service? Is it useful?
  • acole10000acole10000 Member Posts: 6
    I am signing the papers today, RS w/ Lux, Sat, PTI rubber mats, rubber loadspace mat and cargo cover.- $57,500. This is the GM's car w/ 1,000 miles on it(not titled). comments on pricing are appreciated.

Has anyone got the info on the Motorola V710 PTI Cradle.
  • umbertobumbertob Member Posts: 39
    acole10000, regarding the Motorola V710 there is no cradle available from Land Rover (and I would not hold my breath for one, considering the PTI system is manufactured by Nokia.) But, as long as you have the latest software, 8700_01.40.0R - available at no charge from Verizon if you have an older version - the phone will work fine via PTI's Bluetooth interface, with the known limitations of BT vs. cradled phones of course. I use a V710 every day.
  • lexi4lexi4 Member Posts: 8
    I have the vesuvius and really enjoy it. DO NOT sell yours to the dealer. Sell it or the Vesuvius to someone else and do not take the hit. Dealer in CA Rockville(?) has a black SC for $84k. I have driven into 3 other Rover dealerships who only got one Vesuvius and even the service people come out and look and comment on my SC.
    You might think about some lower profile wheels and tires that should help. Mine has the Dynamic system and it is awesome but my last truck was much improved by changing the wheels and rubber.
    I fought with the 650 and the bluetooth. Upgraded the treo software 3 times (latest for Verizon anyway 1.04) but I finally gave up.
    Bought a #3 cradle and went to Cingular so I would have a world phone too and tried phones. They had one, the Nokia 3120b. It works great. So I have a treo and the nokia which stays in the car until I go out of the country. Pretty cool seeing everything phone book, received numbers, missed calls, and voice dialling through the radio and system. Calling restaurants from the nav is ok too. Not perfect but better than having the treo not get anycalls when I pretended to have in paired with the truck.
  • wutevawuteva Member Posts: 1
    is there anyway to hack the computer system to maintain the low ride over 25 mph? although the car does lower itself about 1 and a half inch on highway, but is it possible to lock it in the low position at all time?
    I have had this happen to three customers now with bluetooh integrated cell phones. They have phones that do not have an option to disable call waiting and so when a call comes through and they try to switch over to it their phone to car link is scrambled.

If you can't disable call waiting on your bluetooh phone then just do not pick up the incoming call it will scramble your phone and possibly do other funny things to the cars systems.

If you do happen to pick up a call by accident and things get scrambled you can probably correct the problem without bringing it to the dealer. Simply shut off the car and then disconnect the bluetooth phone from the car. On your phone somewhere there is an option to drop bluetooh connection. Once you do that it should descramble the connection and you should be able to reconnect the phone. This should also shutdown the navigation screen if it was staying on with the car off. I have seen that happen a couple of times and seems to be a side effect of trying to use call waiting with bluetooh connection.

I am reposting this on all Land Rover boards.
    british_rover, I can confirm that disconnecting and re-pairing Bluetooth connection seems to fix occasional hang-ups in the BT interface, at least with my Moto V710 (Verizon). In fact, I have added a short cut to the "Land Rover" Bluetooth connection on the main menu of my phone, specifically to be able to quickly unlink and reconnect without scrolling through the phone's sub menus. I can do that without even looking at the phone...

Call waiting is a good example (and I have learned on my own that trying to answer a Call Waiting always wreaks havoc with the PTI, so I just don't do that anymore). Disconnectng and reconnecting always fixed it for me.

Another hiccup that has occurred a couple of times is that while the "Phone Attached" message appears on the radio's LCD when I start the car, when the phone does ring PTI does not pick it up, or I get the "Phone not fitted, Command Cancelled" response when I try to voice dial. In those instances too, unlinking and relinking the Land Rover Bluetooth connection from the handset seems to fix things.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Does anyone know if these BlueTooth gliches could ever be fixed by a Land Rover update to the firmware in the phone/nav system?
    Of course, but don't bet on it. :) Basically, avoid 3-Way Calling and Call Waiting, as documented... the other glitches are rare, and may not always be the fault of the vehicle PTI. Performance will vary between phones. Bluetooth isn't perfect. For best performance and the most functionality, you need one of the few phones that has a cradle available and avoid Bluetooth entirely. (FYI: The system was designed by Nokia.)
  • roverelvisroverelvis Member Posts: 4
    can anyone get the pinout diagram for the cradle receiver? Since land rover didn't include a power port in the armrest, I was thinking about tapping in to the power provided for the cradle so that I can charge/power my motorola phone. The cradle is a great idea, only supporting Nokia phones is kind of lame.
  • roversportroversport Member Posts: 1
    Anyone offer advice on any TMobile phone that works with the cradle? The current RR PTI list does not have a match with any currently offered by TMobile.
  • 72774667277466 Member Posts: 6
    Did you find any quotes yet?
    Can anyone provide the Land Rover link to the list of supported cradle phones for RR and RRS ?
  • ert1ert1 Member Posts: 1
    are there any verizon phones that have cradles for the car?
    nokia model 6256i? nokia 6236i? or other phones?
    Nothing from Verizon. In fact, most of the phones on that list have eiter been discontinued by US carrier months ago (the Nokia 6230, I think Cingular carried it months ago but replaced it with a newer incompatible model, although you may still find the 6230 on eBay) or were never available in the US to begin with. Although additional cradles and phones will eventually be added to the system, don't hold your breath for any Verizon phones ever making the list. Verizon Wireless is not exactly a big customer of Nokia (the company that makes the PTI system for Land Rover) and it is not GSM. Many Bluetooth enabled phones offered by Verizon - Moto V710, E815, probably the new Samsungs - seem to be working just fine with PTI, despite the known limitations of this type of interface and even though none of them have been "tested" and approved by Land Rover, not yet anyway.
    Not sure I understand the limitations:
    1. there is a jack in the phone compartment (I have a RRSC) does the phone plug into that directly, or do I need to get an additional interface?
    2. If I get a regular Bluetooth phone: can I use the touchscreen to dial (and....I know I cannot access the phone book, but can I create a phonebook on the touch screen?)
    3. With Bluetooth, I understand that the callers number may appear on the touch screen. Is that everyones experience?
  • tallwoodstallwoods Member Posts: 11
    I would love to get a Range Rover Sport. But I have a little bit of a problem with size. I am 6'-7" and would prefer to order one without the Sunroof. I see on the UK site that the sunroof is an option, but on the US site, it seems to be included.

I tried working with two different dealers (Newport Beach and Anaheim - both in Southern California), and they just won't even try. They are selling the RRS's before they even get off the truck, so there is no need for them to work with me. Their advice was to wait a year when they are less popular. They actually stated that that have no incentive to work with me currently.

I'm really frustrated!

I've been told by many people that the LR3 is a more appropriate vehicle for me and the way I would use the RRS (yes, I do go off road frequently, but not aggressively). But the LR3 has two problems with it for me:
    1. It's a bit short on legroom for me
    2. I just can't get past the look of the thing. I really just don't care for it.

Regards,

Tallwoods
    Not sure about the big RR, but{

1) In RRS with factory PTI there is a receptacle under the center armrest to connect an optional cradle, not the phone directly. If your phone is on the short list, you can buy the matching cradle from your Land Rover dealer and snap it on the receptacle first, then you snap the phone in and out of the cradle as you enter / leave the car.

2) There is no PTI touchscreen interface on the Sport, but the keypad next to the radio's LCD will allow you to dial phone numbers whether you are using a cradled or a Bluetooth connected phone. For this reason, in the Sport the number(s) you dial will also appear on the radio's LCD, not the touchscreen. The only phonebook you can create in the car with a Bluetooth connected phone is the one you enter and retrieve via voice recognition (up to about 50 names and numbers). With an approved cradled phone, the handset's own phonebook is downloaded into the PTI system every time you snap the phone into the cradle, so that you may scroll through and dial those entries (using the knob and hard buttons on the radio of the RRS, or the touchscreen interface in the big RR.)

3) Yes, in the Sport the incoming caller number is displayed (number only, no name), again on the radio's LCD rather than the touchscreen, using my Motorola V710 Bluetooth phone.
  • ontariordontariord Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my RRS SC a couple of days ago. It came with the Rear Entertainment System. I loaded up the DVD's in the six DVD cassette and then went to the DVD settings page. Meanwhile the 6 DVD's all loaded up to the system. It went to the first DVD and then to the menu page of the DVD. The menu page and the accompanying audio is showing up on both rear screens and heard through the audio system as expected. However, no matter what button I push on the DVD supervisor screen or on the remote control, nothing happens. It's stuck on the menu page of the first DVD. It doesn't let me shift to another DVD either.

Thoughts? Can the dealer easily replace the rear entertainment system if it's faulty or is this going to be a nightmare where it's really difficult to get it serviced? I haven't called anyone at the dealership yet (it's Thanksgiving).
    Have you tried removing and reloading the 6 discs in the changer (perhaps load only one to start), to make sure it is not just a bad DVD somehow causing the system to freeze. Also, regarding the remote, remember to point it at either rear screens - depending on how you set the switch - but not at the front monitor. Its IR signal is highly directional I found out. If you are still stuck, the defective RSE module should be easy anough for a dealer to replace, if they have one in stock. Changer and module are separate, but both are locaed behind the right side panel of the trunk.
  • ontariordontariord Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input! I did try a variety of combination of DVD's, both single and all six, new and old. I suspect it's a defective module or changer. And I did point the remote directly at the screen. It's heartening to know that they are easily replaceable.
  • socalroversocalrover Member Posts: 3
    I recently attempted to hook up my sat. radio but the people at Sirius told me my ESN# was not showing up. They told me I would need to go back to the dealership for a new receiver. Has anyone else had troubles connecting their sat. radio?
    No problems for me... I activated it and now use Sirius more often than standard radio. Very nice.
  • discofundiscofun Member Posts: 26
    socalrover,
    The Sirius enabled radio in your RRS is only a ‘receiver’ and does not interact with the Sirius satellites or urban area signal repeaters. It only ‘receives’ signals and so is completely dependent on what is sent to it. In order to activate your radio, you have to subscribe to the service for a monthly fee. At the same time the ‘activation’ signal is sent to your radio, the RRS must be parked outside with the radio on and with a clear view of the open sky. The activation signal is your ESN that you give the Sirius associate to which they add a code that ‘unlocks’ the radio to be able to receive all of the programming you subscribed to.
    Go to www.sirius.com and click on 'Activate' in the upper right corner for details and steps.
    If Sirius said your ESN was not ‘showing up,’ they were probably indicating that you had not yet subscribed to their service and thus the ESN was not activated.
    Supply/demand, what do you expect? Anyway, the LR3 has more room than the the RRS. If you don't have enough leg room in LR3, I'm pretty sure you won't enough room in RRS. I'm definitely more cramped in the RRS at 6'4".
  • tallwoodstallwoods Member Posts: 11
    I can fix the legroom. I am large guy, and have most of my cars modified to move the seat back. But it's a heck of a lot harder to stretch the celing room :-)

Sans sunroof, I get another 1.5" of headroom, and that makes all the difference in the world.

I am 6'-7" and nearing 300 lbs