Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    Nope - but it sounds like maybe a ECU or BCU (engine control unit, body control unit) wiring issue.

ECU for the transmission issues, bcu for the door locks issue...

/DA
  • lsufan6970lsufan6970 Member Posts: 10
    Just got a call from the Service Department. Seems as though a small rodent (mouse, squirrel, etc.) has eaten through one of the wiring harnesses causing all of these faults. Hopefully they can repair all the wiring (cheap) without having to replace the entire harness(expensive). I have a feeling my wife or the children spilled something sweet on the center console and it dripped down onto some important parts thus attracting a critter or two. Just a gut feeling, but very possible knowing my family.
  • triathlonxtriathlonx Member Posts: 5
    I'm frantically looking through my insurance policy to see if it covers damage by hungry critters.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone over in one of the Subaru discussions successfully filed a claim for damaged wiring caused by a rodent or squirrel. Haven't been able to find the post, but you should check with your insurance.
  • mccormackmccormack Member Posts: 1
    We are in the same boat. Just bought our RRS a month ago and can't get over the pinging sounds. I agree it just doesn't seem right. We also took it in to the dealer whos mechanic told us it is normal. We love the car but I have to say this definitely bothers me. Has had anyone had the problem and then it does resolve itself after a certain number of miles or is that all bs from the dealer?
    Thanks
  • sfwalessfwales Member Posts: 2
    I just took a 500 miles trip and now have about 900 miles on my RRS and for the last two days the noise has been significantly less - it sounds normal to me now. So maybe the mechanics are right. Hopefully, it will not come back.
  • uscrrsuscrrs Member Posts: 6
    My RRS has about 13,000 miles, the brakes have been making noise for quite some time, i took it in and they said that the brake squeking was normally, and in order to reduce it a bit, i should drive at about 50mph then slam on my brakes to wipe down the rotors. Has any one had this problem of the brakes squeking?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Land Rover
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    An omen of things to come?

Every so often I get the LR bug. My Cayenne is OK but I caught a superficial glance at a RRS-S on Thanksgiving evening. The exterior looked good, the interior is much better than the Porsche's, and with the blower it must go like a bat out of hell. (As an important side note, I'm not sure though how well the 20' tires are going to do in the wet or even if winter tires, e.g., Blizzaks, are available in this size. This may mean that these things are mere boulevard cruisers, poseurs, really, rather than all-weather, go in to the office early, machines.)

Then I read this forum. Gee, I wish I just had the interest on that portion of the 75K acquisition cost that an individual RRS-S owner doesn't get the benefit from while his car is out of service. Lets assume that a RRS is out of service for 20 days a year. Now compute 5% of 75K for those 20 days, just like Merrill would do for a overnight sweep of uninvested funds....
    On the other hand, Cayenne sales are down sharply in the last two years. Not sure how the RR Sport sales are doing.

Inside Line

Many of the premium SUVs appear to have below average reliability, according to Consumer Reports. The Cayenne and Range Rover Sport are lumped together in that comment at CR.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Honestly of all the Sports I have sold none of them have been problem cars.

Of all the sports we have sold only two have been problem vehicles and both of those were early build units made in the first three months of production.

One of those two has had no problems since the second month of ownership. My GM is actually talking to the owner of that Sport right now as he is buying a 2007 RRS/SC next month as well.

The second one has had some minor issues over the past year but only two really serious problems. They both took a while to repair but it was more a problem of parts avaliablity for a low production new model then anything else.
    We are almost out of 2006 Sports and will not be getting 2007 MY sports untill the end of December.

The only sport we have left is a supercharged model with 1,500 miles on it that was the GM's demo.
    The Wall St. Journal (no free link, sorry) says that, as of November 1, Land Rover sales are up 6.7% for Oct. '06 vs Oct. '05, and sales for the year are up about 3,000 units (37,531 sold to date).

Porsche car sales are up but Porsche truck sales are down 26.7% this Oct. compared to last Oct.
    Here you go...

Just scroll down till you find the Land Rover sales

CYTD sales are up 8.2 percent for Land Rover and I know at one time we were the only SUV brand that had positive sales growth for the year.

I am not sure if that is still true.

Sport sales were up 26.7% last month and LR3 sales were up 27.6%.

Range Rover sales were down a bit -17.4% for the month but I expected that as everyone knows the 2007 MY Range is getting a redesigned interior.
    You are not going to believe it but Saturday will make 7 weeks in the shop trying to determine why some of the warning lights are staying on. My wife and I are growing very impatient. My comprehensive coverage will take care of the costs involved to fix the damage, but I will have soon made two payments on a vehicle that we haven't seen in two months. What's the longest someone has had a vehicle in the shop while the service department "diagnoses the problem"? I can understand body work and painting taking this long, but this is silly. I think if this was a warranty issue, it would have been fixed weeks ago. I should have realized when the service department was hoping the insurance would total the vehicle instead of having them fix it that I was in for an extended service visit. I called them a minute ago and now the parking brake light won't go off and supposedly there are two technicians working on the problem. I asked the dude on the phone what's the worst that can happen. He said that they will have to trace every single wire to find out if it's being grounded somewhere and that could take a while, maybe another week or so. My wife seems to think legal action is in order but I tried to tell her that they have us by the short'n'curlies because it's not a warranty issue. Anyone with any similar situations.
  • rvrsportrvrsport Member Posts: 1
    i just saw your message about the warning light issues...i went thru my own headaches with a 6mo new supercharged. over 60 days in the shop. they eventually replaced the entire rear diff. but they originally thought it was just "a reprograming issue". well, after all that, i asked LandRover North america to just replace the car, under the Lemon Law. that is not a fun course of action. this all began for me in April 2006, and i am just now getting the car replaced(purchased back) in Dec. 2006. Land Rover North America really dropped the ball for me on every issue. many many promises, and NO follow thru. they just hoped i'd go away. i didnt. i had to bring them to BBB arbitration just to get them to do what they promised me back in August...replace the car. if you end up in this kind of problem, let me know and i can give you some 'advice'. good luck.
  • rodehoglarodehogla Member Posts: 1
    I have a RRS Supercharged. When I go over sharp speed bumps at an angle,the chasis shimmies. It feels like it's going to vibrate right off. Naturally, the dealer says this is normal for the superharged models. I say BS.

Anyone else having this issue?
    "Rodent" Damage update - possibly the last one blamed on the rodent. I finally got in touch with Land Rover North America to complain about how Land Rover New Orleans was handling my repairs. My complaint must have made it back to New Orleans because within 5 minutes of each other, I received a call from LRNA and New Orleans each saying that the problem is a fuse box of some sort causing the Parking Brake light and others to flash. However, the last time I talked to my technician, he told me the active suspension light was staying on and they were in the rear end diagnosing the problem. Now this is all supposed to have been done by a mouse, squirrel, or something. Why didn't they check all fuses and electrical things FIRST? To top it all off, the Service fellow called me last Friday like I said, and put it to me like this, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is we've found the problem, a fuse box is blown. The bad news, the part is on backorder and has been for quite a while." I asked, how long? He said, " I don't have a clue." I then call LRNA to find out about the backorder situation. Sure enough, the subcontractor supplying this part to Land Rover is running behind or having trouble with the final product. So, now we've gone from them taking forever to diagnose, to waiting for the backordered part. My insurance agent is trying to find out more and trying to get me a vehicle to drive. My wife finally had enough the other day and contacted an attorney friend of ours. He seems to think at the least the Insurance company should pay for a portion of our car note. We'll see what he can do. I'm tired of talking to both my insurance and the dealership. Saturday will make 8 weeks. (Not that I'm counting)
  • triathlonxtriathlonx Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar response to speed bumps at an angle but not enough to open up a debate with the dealer - yet. The suspension system on the RRS is delicate and prone to having 'issues'. After one week of having the vehicle two suspension sensors were found to be faulty and had to be replaced. I have now completed 8000 miles with no further problems.
  • lipseylipsey Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution?
    I have the same issue with my Range Rover
  • jinpowerjinpower Member Posts: 17
    After just 6500 miles my engine light is now on, my steering wheel makes a whining noise when I turn it, my car still ticks like crazy, my parking sensor will time time just beep and not turn off unless I turn the engine off. Anyone else run into these problems?
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    Wow, has this thread died. Has everyone gone to the 2007 BMW X5, Acura MDX or AMG ML63? ;)

I'm curious if anyone has heard any rumors for changes for 2008 and the Sport? The new LR2 has push button starting and a different navigation system (though without voice control), wondering if any of that will float over.

My lease will be up in the summer and I think I'm going to be hard pressed to repeat with the Sport unless they make it worth the $65K compared to the competition available today. I still can't believe for the price they don't have dual sun visors, instead saving that prestige feature for the big Rover. :P
    Nope none of those changes coming to the RRS for 2008.

All of the 2008 RRS specs, or at least all of the ones they have given me, are on rangerovers.net.
  • rrsfanrrsfan Member Posts: 6
    I was looking into purchasing RRS. On LR website they tout the ability to write off RRS at alrmingly higher pace. Has anyone tried & got away with it? What I understand is if gross vehicle weight rating is in excess of 6000.lbs than the std depreciation schedule does not apply & can be depreciated at a higher rate. I believe this clause was for trucks. Any experience?? I would prefer not to lease.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    I have a certificate that will save you $2000 or $1500 I will sell. Make your email address public and reply and I will email to you. I can send you a scan of the certificate and the cover letter if you would like to see it.

There is a place on the certificate where I can sign and transfer it to a friend.

Exact wording on the certificate is as follows:

Save $2000 on a new 2007 Range Rover HSE*
    Save $1500 on a new 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE**
    Save $1500 on a new 2007 LR3 V8 HSE, SE, or V6 SE

*Offer valid on purchase or lease of a new, previously untitled 2007 Range Rover HSE (excludes Supercharged model) from 4/16/07 to 6/30/07. **Offer valid on purchase or lease of a new, previously untitled 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE (excludes Supercharged model) from 4/16/07 to 6/30/07. Offer valid on purchase or lease of a new, previously untitled 2007 LR3 V8 HSE, SE or V6 SE from 4/16/07 to 6/30/07. Present this certificate to Retailer and take delivery from Retailer stock by 6/30/07. These offers may not be combined with any other private purchase offer. Limit one redemption per household. These offers exclude demonstration vehicles and service loaners. For current lease customers, these offers may not be combined with the Early Lease Termination offer. See Retailer for complete details.
  • matisse1matisse1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I am strongly considering a 2007 RRS HSE. I would like to know what kind of overall experience you guys have had in terms of reliability and service. My main concern is time, not money since it will be covered by warranty. Feel free to share your overall time spent in shop and number of problems you may've had(or not).

Thanks sooooooooo much! It will be a great help coming from actual RRS owners.

You can email me directly to at this address: freddiegoodrock@yahoo.com
  • byoloyebyoloye Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in your offer. I am buying a Range Rover Sport HSE this week By God's grace and the voucher would be a real blessing. My address is babajide99@yahoo.com

Many thanks
  • standardautostandardauto Member Posts: 14
    I am definitely close to pulling the trigger on the RRS HSE. Email address: williamoh@standardgroupinc.com.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Sorry standardauto. I sold it already.
  • danmillmandanmillman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at RRS HSE and have read conflicting reports on the Rear Seat Entertainment System...are the headphones wireless or do they plug into the center console between two front seats? Thanks.
    They plug into the doors.
    Anybody here know of the base MF for the month of June?
    Car_Man or kyfdx or one of the regulars over in the Land Rover Range Rover Sport: Lease Questions discussion should know.
    The same as they were for May.

Land Rover changes their leases quarterly not monthly.
    Thanks for the info british_rover.
    Based on your experience/knowledge, what would be your prediction as to the money factor when they are due out on the 2nd quarter (July 1, 2007)? I am looking into either purchasing for the tax benefits or leasing (if the money factor is low enough).
    They don't normally do new programs till after the July 4th weekend but July 4th falls in the middle of the week this year so maybe the 5th or 6th.

I doubt the money factor will be very good though. Land Rover only heavily subvene their leases when they need to dump inventory and the supply of sports is rather tight. Well at least it is tight in my part of country.
    Thanks again for your insight - if money factors do go down but are still expensive, do you think that they'll introduce a dealer cash as the 08 models are due soon?
  • elane66elane66 Member Posts: 2
    I've just started seriously considering purchasing a RRS HSE. Mainly because I think it's the best looking car on the road. I struggle however with my practical side that tells me it's definitely not the best car made for the money. Does anyone have any info on the reliability of the RRS. I know JD Power gives it 2 out of 5 stars for initial quality.
  • roverlover3roverlover3 Member Posts: 12
    MY RRS SC HAS BEEN DOING GREAT FOR LAST 8 MONTHS SINCE I GOT IT, PROBLEM FREE. A FEW OF MY FRIENDS HAD A FEW MINOR GLITCHES. ALL IN ALL THE LOOKS OF THE CAR MAKE IT WORTH GETTING EVEN IF U HAVE A FEW MINOR ISSUES. YOUR RIGHT, NO HOTTER SUV ON THE ROAD
  • mlhm5mlhm5 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned 3 LR vehicles and have just sold my Defender and am looking to purchase another. The RRS is really nice looking car and I see that in Europe it is available with a choice of two diesel engines.

1.Any know if Ford is planning to bring a diesel engined RRS to the USA?

2. I have looked at every other luxury SUV on the market and tried to keep an open mind. I really like the looks of the RRS, however the MB GL may trump the decision based on reliability and ride.

A diesel could swing it in favor of the RRS.
  • roverlover3roverlover3 Member Posts: 12
    anyone receive any tranferable coupon re: lr3's or range rovers? i will pay $$$ for them
  • squsiesqusie Member Posts: 1
    If you still have certificates. It would a great help to receive one. My e-mail address is posblkmnco@aol.com

Thanks
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    My wife and I attended the traveling LR Experience in Sonoma last week, and had the opportunity to drive an RRS S/C on the off-road course they had set-up. Instruction was top-rate, as LR is renowned for, with our instructor being a former Camel Trophy and Baja 500/1000 competitor. Needless to say I peppered him with questions related to the Terrain Response and what to use when, as it turns out I have not been optimally using it on my LR3. The RRS was very impressive, even with the UHP Conti's. I noticed that Cooper now offers a true AT for a 20" wheel none-the-less.

I have serious RRS envy, as my main complaint with our LR3 is that the suspension is to soft and feels somewhat floaty/tippy on the highway; which my short ride in the firmer suspension in the S/C seems to have alleviated. My question is, "is there a difference in the suspension tuning between the RRS HSE and the RRS S/C"? As it is an air suspension, does LR increase the pressure in the air bags?

Anyway's I
    Yes the S/C has a slightly different tunned air springs then the HSE Sport.

Most of the difference between the two is the standard dynamic response package on the S/C Sport that is only optional on the HSE Sport. I have never driven a HSE Sport with Dynamic response but I bet it would drive a lot like a SC Sport.

Dynamic response gives you the big Brembo brakes up front and the hydraulic active sway bars front and rear.

I really want Land Rover to put the active sway bar portion of dynamic response on the LR3. It would solve a lot of the tippy feeling people get with the taller LR3 without making the ride any rougher.

I figure they could offer the active sway bars as a 1,200 dollar or so option on the LR3 if they don't include the big front brakes.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Thanks British Rover,

I would pay and extra $1-2K for Dynamic Response on the LR3. LR Experience went out of its way to demonstrate the axle articulation on the course, which I kept thinking was insane given the relatively stiff suspension tuning and flat cornering on the tarmac-I was waiting for endlinks to snap. Did not even think of the Dynamic Response uncoupling the sway bars when it was in low-range at the time. Makes sense now, "hindsight is 20/20".
    Exactly that is the trick part of the Dynamic Response package.

It gives you a fairly firm suspension when you need it. Almost no body roll because of the active sway bars but without the bone jarring ride normally associated with minimal body roll suspensions. Finally the sway bars can disconnect in low range for better axle articulation.

The LR3 already has 13 inches of rear wheel travel. I bet it could pick a couple of inches with sway bar disconnects and still have less body roll.

Porsche liked Dynamic response so much they copied it for the new Cayenne and called it PASM.
  • hstraderhstrader Member Posts: 1
    any reason for no postings for the last couple of months?
    I think everyone's gone over to Land Rover LR3 but this would be a good place to discuss the Sport!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rrstiressukrrstiressuk Member Posts: 2
    First I love the rig. RRS is awesome. But i must say the tires are the worst pieces of (&^$ out there. I had vibrations issue> then later sound issues coming form my tires!! My dealr thought i was crazy but eventually they replaced the tires that seemed oddly worn. Ok> now it has been 6 months and 4k miles and yes - 2 of the tires are worn down quite a bit to wear i really need to buy new ones or - fight the dealer if i want to be at least safe driving in snow.

Anybody else have this problem - tires are: Cross Contact 255/50 R 19" > i believe the part# is RRC502280MNH.

No - im not 19 and peal out all over the place --im 43 and kinda pissed that we spend all this money on a car and they obviously dont put a SAFE tire on it let alone a recomended one for optimum performance under regular use - ones that the engineers who spent millions in design, R&D etc would say - these are the tires that should be on it - what else can i not trust that they skimmed on???? Please Help -