Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    Thank you for your opinion, but I don't think you fully understand where I'm coming from. I didn't buy a Passat as an alternative to a BMW 3 series. I bought a Passat as an alternative to a CamCord. $20 may not be much money to a lot of people, but for most of the folks I know it'll buy a lot of milk for the babies.

The fact is that I can afford to pay the $92 for the service. But should I have to pay that much just because I can? Furthermore, I have to drive 80 miles to get to the VW dealer.

I guess what really ticks me off about the whole issue is that if I'm not mistaken Volkswagen means "The People's Car." However, it seems that they've forgotten the people - the real people, the people who make up the majority of car buyers.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and I plan to take care of it. But it's ridiculous that a company that was started so that the average Joe could own a car has given Joe the shaft. If VW wants to move ahead that's what they need to do - get back to their roots.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Well, you probably noticed that all but deserted notion of "peoples' car" some time ago. Look at their commercials - nothing about "real" people, everything about being hip, different, special, and all that can be sold to those who are willing to pay to feel "that difference". With their cosmic labor cost and quality control they simply cannot beat Koreans and Japanese cars.

"Peoples' car" no more. Drivers wanted, indeed, but only those with thick wallets - others need not apply. ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    In VW's defense, they are building cars that have very high specific output engines which require very specific types of maintenance, most notably in the area of the oil and filter. To VW's credit, they've cut down the required maintenance such that even with $92 oil changes, they are no more expensive (or even less so in many cases) to maintain than many other competitive cars (CamCord included). So, the VW carries a 10K mile OCI and the cost is $92 (less than a penny a mile), while many competitive cars still use conventional oil and require (lower cost) oil changes more often. Granted those oil changes might work out to even less per mile in cash outlay, however, when factoring in the cost of simply dealing with the extra service appointments (transit time and waiting around time), I'll bet the VW is cheaper. Me? I'd gladly pay $100+ per oil change in exchange for a longer OCI, time is money after all (fortunately I don't have to as I do my own).

Regarding DIY oil changes or having an independent do the work, I believe that there is substantial legal precedence to suggest that manufacturers must accept proofs from third party maintainers regarding what maintenance has been performed and what parts and fluids were used. Said another way, if your local mechanic changes the oil in your Passat and uses Mobil-1 0W-40 and a VW (or compatible) filter and your engine fails, your warranty will still be fully in effect. On the other hand if VW looks at the receipt from your mechanic (or your local AutoZone) and it says "Quaker State 3W-50" oil, then you are most likely on the hook for any and all internal engine damage.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I bet any given dealer's service department will still tell you "come every 3000 miles or bad stuff will happen".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Those specs do seem a little off. Usually the AWD vehicle is the slower one.

To me it seems as if they switched the specs with the configuration, meaning 6.2 for the FWD and 6.6 for the AWD.

BTW C&D achieved 5.9 for the FWD.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well all this nonsense.

I don't own a VW but I find it hard to see the differnce between 2x$49 per year for two oil changes at 5000 miles each on a "peoples truck" the RAV4 and one $92 oil change on the Passat every 10k miles
    . Regarding all the other stuff about legal and receipts etc. ....remember you have to collect.

Maybe someone should have thought about this before they bought a modern car with lots of high tech (expensive) stuff that maybe they really cannot afford with a dealer 90 miles away.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .to the nearest dealer would be an issue for me, I admit. I am not suggesting, how could I?, anyone can or should afford something (or can't and shouldn't.)

Maybe I am less trusting of the independent's documentation being acceptable to the mfgr if they are, shall we say, in a "bad mood."

I was "suggesting" -- hinting really -- that the mfgr may want to play hardball if, for instance, the cars serviced by the dealers had low warranty claim issues "if" the ones not so serviced had higher issues.

I come from a long line of DIY's in terms of oil and filter changes, anti-freeze and flushes, wiper blades, even fuel filters (back in the day when they were not inside the fuel tank, etc.

I actually found great enjoyment and relaxation from this DIY stuff.

For all I know, if I were able to do this stuff myself, I still might find these activities satisfying.

My only mission, so to speak, was perhaps to alert you to the reputation that seems to have befallen some mfgs, VW included -- no "acceptable" proof, no warranty.

Your technician may well be better than a VW dealer employee -- perhaps he is.

I've heard click and clack too many times, also.

These modern cars are wonders of technology AND I think they are more reliable than any of the sheens I grew up with in the 60's and 70's -- by far.

Of course they are breathtakingly expensive to repair without the benevolence of the mfgr's warranty.

With a competent technician and an 80 mile one way trip, I would probably be tempted to have the routine mntce carried out as you have suggested.

On the other hand, if I could arrange my schedule to use the dealer whenever possible, I might also consider that as a viable risk adverse tactic.

My sense is -- and this is totally an opinion -- that using the dealer is the offense that is the best defense.

Tough call with that distance, tho, I understand.
    for your voice of reason. You always seem to come through.

Anyway, I am on a more even keel today so let me clarify about the 80 miles and my situation.

We bought the Passat over the CamCord for several reasons.
    1. My brother sells VW's. Ford and Chevy can't even beat that family plan.
    2. After much research, the VW seemed to me to be a superior automobile to the CamCord.
    3. My wife was not particularly impressed with other vehicles. She pays attention to details like the kids' booster seats not "fitting" in the back seat of other cars we looked at.
    4. Distance to dealership is something you just have to deal with where we live. The closest Honda Dealer is 40 miles away and the nearest Toyota dealer is just as far as VW. We have a Nissan dealer and a Kia dealer here in town, but I've just never been a Nissan fan and I would like for my car to be worth a little more than half of what I paid for it in a year.

The only other options were offerings from the "big 3". Nothing GM or Chrysler offers impresses me, Ford 500 is too bland, and Fusion was not available at the time (and if it had been I don't think I could live with that front end).

With all that said, I stick with my guns on $92 being a lot of money for an oil change. The argument that you should expect to pay more for maintenence on a higher priced automobile is bogus. Six quarts and a filter costs you the same money whether you're driving a $15,000 Ranger or a $40,000 F150 Lariat. If you buy a Jetta, Beetle, or Golf it's still going to be around $92.

I suppose I look at it like my friend Philip. He won't order tea or coke at a restaurant if it's more than $.99. His argument is that just because it's a fancier restaurant doesn't make the drink worth more.

If Wal-Mart can change your oil with full synthetic and a filter for under $50 (and still make a good profit), then the dealer should be able to as well.
    I have been told that the low tire pressure monitors on most cars only tell you that one tire is at different pressure than others. They do not tell if pressure is correct or a little out of of tolerance or which tire is low. Anyone know for sure about this?
    I don't know about the Passat, but our 04 Merc Mountaineer's tire pressure warning light came on the other day. The right rear tire was low and I discovered a nail in it. So yes, it definitely will tell you if one tire is out of sync with the others. I just don't know how much difference there has to be or if mine actually activated after getting below a certain pressure.

The good news is that the system does work.
    My Nissan mini-van displays the PSI for each of the 4 wheels…but you still have to go out and fill it up manually; getting lazy :)
    My Nissan mini-van displays the PSI for each of the 4 wheels

Cool. I believe it was the Joker who said of Batman, "Where does he get all those neat toys?"

I'm not much of a Nissan fan, but that is really nice.
  • vwdriver2vwdriver2 Member Posts: 54
    Does anyone have any information or have VW (not motorola or any other company) bluetooth accessories for their 06 Passat? My 2.0T has the steering wheel with controls on it and has the (phone) button, but it doesn't do anything obviously. Does anyone know if it is available and if so, how much?? If anyone has it, does it work well???
    I also recently took my car in for its second oil change (10K) and they asked if I wanted to take care of the 7 recalls...I said I was completely unaware there were any recalls...I read over the service report when I picked up the car and they were all pretty minor things.
    Any information would greatly be appreciated.
  • ray_sray_s Member Posts: 3
    I test-drove the 07 Wagon 2.0T auto the other day. It's pretty nimble and responsive for a car this weight and size. There is a detectable lag for less than 0.5 sec when starting from a full stop, but there's no hesitation when accelerating at any nonzero speed, which is a plus compared to a 2.0T Jetta. It'll almost surely be my next car because of its practicality and fun(though not so sporty as a smaller car).
    However,there're some minor flaws. I find the two layered dash looks busy, that makes the interior forgettable except for the gauge cluster. A lot of hard plastics on the passenger side--looks cheap. A useless "phone" button on the steering wheel. Probably reserved for future bluetooth? This small detail makes it appear to be an unfinished product. But the seat is much much more comfortable than CamCords.
    The most attractive small features are tilting to VW badge to open to rear door, auto-close button for the rear door and auto-hold.
    I'll wait for a while to see what others say about its reliability.
    Has anyone added an aftermarket homelink and dimming mirror to the 2.0T Passat? If so, let me know where you found the power wires etc.
    Thanks,
    Jim D
  • cstabilecstabile Member Posts: 29
    Not to be picky, but the "7 recalls" are not "recalls" at all. They are simply service bullitens that the dealer should address when you have car next serviced. Minor point, I admit. Just trying to avoid all those VW bashers out there from piling on.
  • tshwartztshwartz Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Does any one know when the New Passat Wagons will be available in Massachusetts? I do not see any of them on the dealer parking lots.

Thanks

TS
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Does any one know when the New Passat Wagons will be available in Massachusetts? I do not see any of them on the dealer parking lots.

Minuteman in Bedford had quite a few on their lot last week.
    Well not in MA. but www.fitzmall.com dealers have 60 of them most at $200 under invoice. You sign up, send money, fly down and they bring it to the airport. Located in MD.
    By the way, my Audi dealer sells oil changes in "5 packs" for $169. Turbo cars slightly higher. You cannot beat the deal! Most dealer have this kind of "sales" every few months.

And you no jepordize your warranthy for a few bucks.
    "By the way, my Audi dealer sells oil changes in "5 packs" for $169. Turbo cars slightly higher. You cannot beat the deal! Most dealer have this kind of "sales" every few months."

A $34 oil change? No thanks! Ten to one odds that your dealer is using non-synthetic oil that doesn't even come close to meeting the VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 oil specifications. Ugh, not in my new car!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • doctorwdoctorw Member Posts: 18
    I've seen several at Boston Volkswagen in Allston and Wellesley Volkswagen. Both 2.0's and 3.6's.

Drove a 3.64motion last week, very nice ride, but in the end I opted for the sedan.

Good luck, they are great cars!
    Right, if we buy your story, Audi is putting cheap oil in cars they have to fix under warranty for 48 mo or 50K miles. Not a chance!
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Colonial Volkswagen, Westborough, MA had no clue about proper oil when I asked them about it in 2003. Sludge letter come out 1.5 year later but I did not check if the knowledge has changed.
    My current dealer, Norm Wagner in Fitchburg, MA, used proper Castrol oil when I left my case of Mobil 1 0W40 at home.

Krzys

PS "Not a chance!" - I wish it is true. Some people cut corners without looking for consequences.
    "Right, if we buy your story, Audi is putting cheap oil in cars they have to fix under warranty for 48 mo or 50K miles. Not a chance!"

Personally I don't really care if you buy my story or not. The fact remains that Audi-USA and Audi-YourLocalDealership are not one in the same. What does your local dealer care if an engine or two gets sludged to death, it's Audi-USA that would need to pony up to get them fixed. The flip side is that they get no end of grief from owners when presented with a bill for $100 for an oil change. Path of least resistance? Do a cut rate special with cheap bulk oil that doesn't even come close to the VW oil specs.

Think about it, the retail price of fully synthetic oil that meets VW's oil specs (and to the best of my knowledge, ONLY a few fully synthetic oils meet the specs and NONE of the mineral based or hydro-cracked oils even come close) along with the retail price of the filter will easily meet or exceed the price they are charging for the oil change. The last time I checked, dealerships were not in the business of providing free labor, free shop time and discount prices on anything.

For my part, logic dictates that any dealer that charges $34 for an oil change is in fact using cheap oil and maybe not even replacing the filter.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 2
    Hello.
    I am a owner of a new 2006 3.6 Passat. It was purchased on Feb. 23, 2006.

I have the nappa leather in beige. This morning when I was about to get into my vehicle I noticed that the leather seat on the driver side appeared worn down. It looked as if someone had rubbed it down with a dark cleaner and then wiped it off. The seat appears worn and dirty.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and what my recourse should be.

Thanks. Stormy
    Well I am on my second Audi and no trouble. They use Amsoil. The Audi change interval is once a year or 12K. and yes they change the filter. That is easy to tell by two methods. One if they left one year old dirty oil in the filter, the new oil would be dirty looking in a day. It still looks like it came out of the can after a month of driving. Secondly it is not beyond normal human skills to look and see if the filter is new after I get home from the dealer.

Nothing else you could tell me would be of interest to me here.
    "They use Amsoil."

ROTFLMAO!

Sorry dude, gotta call your bluff here.

The only oil that Amsoil makes that meets the VW 502.00, 505.00, 505.01 standards is their European Car Formula Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFL). That oil retails for $6.85 per quart in single unit quantities, $81 for 12 quarts ($6.75 per quart), $640 for a 30 gallon drum ($5.33 per quart), or $1,084 for a 55 gallon drum ($4.93 per quart). Even if they were passing that stuff through to you at cost you're still talking nearly as much for the oil alone as what you are claiming that the whole oil change costs. It seems, your story has a few holes in it.

As for the oil filter, I wasn't suggesting that they didn't replace it, I was suggesting that they are cutting corners somewhere, meaning either they are using cheap oil and/or not replacing the filter.

Regarding your claims that "the oil would be dirty looking in a day", hmmm, not in my experience, especially if they suck the oil out of it and put it back on. Think about it, the dirtier an oil filter gets, the better it filters, right up to the point where the bypass opens up. An argument can easily be made that suggests that changing your oil filter every oil change can do more harm to your engine than if you change it every other time. That having been said, please don't think that I subscribe to said argument because I don't.

So, to take this full circle, I'll go back to my earlier statement, "Ten to one odds that your dealer is using non-synthetic oil that doesn't even come close to meeting the VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 oil specifications."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chadz1969chadz1969 Member Posts: 1
    DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!! I have an issue with the gas tank getting a gash in it last Friday from a simple rock or something in the road and the dealer and the local VW rep would not honor this as a waranty claim and they were very unprofessional when I showed them an clipping about defective gas tanks. I have already filed a claim with the NHTSA and contacted local media. DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!!!
    I am not a VW owner or dealer and if the tank is defective then VW should honor it. But if it is a road hazard thing they won't. Stuff happens but not all of it is the mfg. fault. But your own ins. mightpay for it. My wife ran over a large engine part that fell off a truck. It tore out the oil pan and the tranny bottom. The car was older but our ins. carrier totaled it and gave us basic blue book price.
    Of course this will not help much if you have a $500 deductible or such. Good luck!
    Not meaning to provoke, but do you really think a rock put a gash your gas tank?

I thought for NHTSA to get involved you would have to prove a defect in design.

Perhaps there is a design flaw…but I would imaging the gas tank was thoroughly tested. Either way I would still expect the dealership to be compassionate with the situation.
    The tire and wheel of my Audi quattro met a muffler on Interstate 275. The replacement, repair, tow and rental costs exceeded $900.

I have $250 deduct.

This was not Audis fault.

I am certainly no expert, but your situation would seem on first blush NOT to be a mfgr's issue. I'll cop to a 50 50 chance knowing what can be posted here makes this difficult for all of us.

In my case, I found an interesting differentiation in the way policies are paid:

If I hit the muffler, it was my responsibility.

If, however, the muffler fell off of a vehicle and continued in motion (airborne, perhaps) and hit me, my deduct went away.

I didn't know the answer and tho these years later I keep playing it over in my mind, I went with the $250 deduct "on the collision" insurance, since I honestly could not prove it was a "comprehensive" claim.

I hit a pot hole in KY once and filed the required paperwork with the state and they, on the other hand, did pay $250 which considering the wheel was on a new Audi A8 was way over $1,000 for the wheel, tire, all wheel alignment and the second tire required to keep the tires at the same newness.

There may be many reasons to NOT BUY A PASSAT -- I just don't think this is one of them. Sorry. :sick:
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like you had some bad luck......sorry. But, I don't see how this is VW's fault. If they were rude to you that is another story.
  • ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    I own a 2000 VW Passat V6. Test drove a 2006 Passat V6 AWD. My impressions:

Overall the 2006 was disappointing.

My 2000 Passat seems to have a much "smoother" ride. Over bumps and cracks it glides with maybe a hollow thumping sound. The 2006 Passat over cracks and bumps rattled through me and had much sharper "clangs".

My 2000 Passat was not as fast -- especially on the low end. The 2006 was fast off the line and through the range. I would estimate my 2000 Passat to travel 0-60 in the upper 7s while the 2006 would be in the mid 6s.

However, my 2000 Passat is very smooth in acceleration and shifting. The engine has a nice "purr" sound. The 2006 had a "whine" at low speeds and when the throttle was pressed, it growled loudly. It was a little disconcerting and not nearly as smooth.

In the 2000 Passat, I feel more "connected" to the road. I can "feel" the steering and know where the edges of the car are. In the 2006 Passat, I felt I was "in" it but not really connected. The steering felt aloof and when I looked out the windshield, I couldn't really tell where the car began or ended.

The 2000 Passat is not nearly as technologically advanced, but it actually feels more "solid". The 2006 Passat inside felt. . . cheap. I couldn't ever get really comfortable in the seats in the 2006. I tried for several minutes, but it just didn't "feel" right. It was so much better when I sat back down in my 2000 Passat.

The styling is a toss up -- which is a huge negative for the 2006 which is about 7 years newer. The new styling just doesn't appeal to me much. I cringed when I walked around the 2006 and looked at if from all angles. Sure, my 2000 Passat is very dated. But I have kept it well conditioned and added some attractive features. It actually looks more . . . "sporty."

I walked away from the test drive disappointed. It was lower on my list, but I felt a need to give it a chance since it has AWD which IS a selling point for me. Except for the BMW, the other cars on my list do not have AWD.

I'm still considering:

Buick Lucerne
    Hyundai Azera
    Acura TL
    BMW 325xi
    Lincoln Zephyr

Front runner right now (yes, this will blow you away) is the . . . Azera. No kidding.

I still need to test drive the Lucerne and Zephyr.
    DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!! I have an issue with the gas tank getting a gash in it last Friday from a simple rock or something in the road and the dealer and the local VW rep would not honor this as a waranty claim

Hmmm....Doesn't sound logical to me. Are you saying that if a somebody dropped a bowling ball off an overpass and it landed on the front hood of your new Passat and it smashed it in and caused irreversible engine and transmission damage that the damage should be covered under WARRANTY? Hmmm. . . .

Sounds to me like damage that should be dealt with by the insurance company.
    Hey, if your looking at the BMW 325 xi, look at the new RAV4 V6 and save $12,000. No luxuray but lots of AWD SUV for the $s.
    No luxury but $12,000 less.

If you are looking for luxury, then, why bother looking at the RAV4?!?

On the other hand if you aren't interested in a near Premium sedan like the 3 series, don't bother to test it, go straight for the RAV4.

And this has what to do with Passats?

Now, if you look at an AWD Passat and an AWD Bimmer 3 and spec them to comparable prices and/or comparable content and then compare the prices, well that seems to be a conversation we could have.

:confuse:

Did you, perhaps, mean to be suggesting to spec a BMW X3 SAV next to an RAV4? That makes a little more sense, but then, doesn't that still beg the question what the Passat connection is?

:surprise:

Hey if you want a meal, try a hamburger from McD's and save $22.95 over the steak from Morton's.

What? :confuse:

The new Passat is many things, but it is probably not a direct competitor with ANY SUV regardless of price any more than a banana is a competitor for bread other than the broad conclusion that one might reach, i.e., they are both food.

The new Passat all dooded up, might be called an Audi A5, might be an alternative to an Avalon or Camcord or perhaps the newest and nicest Korean from Hyundai (nicely equipped for UNDER $30K, but, as yet, no AWD.)

Some may cross shop an Audi A4 3.2 and a Passat 3.6 4Motion, beats me. You do get a larger car with the Passat, but perhaps you lose some performance over the A4, especially in the handling department. Then again the Passat has more guts and grunt at this moment than the 3.2 from the four-rings guys.

The VW dealers keep improving, and they need to, for the new VW's appear to be s-l-o-w-l-y moving upstream. Or so it seems -- the reports on the new Jetta are downright gushing, for instance. The Passat is, to my eye, a good looking car, too. Oh go on now. . . . :blush:
    The new Passat is many things, but it is probably not a direct competitor with ANY SUV regardless of price any more than a banana is a competitor for bread other than the broad conclusion that one might reach, i.e., they are both food.

heh... :):)
    I was making a simple comment.
    Well the Passat and RAV4 are competitors for me. The 2.0T wagon is in the same price range as the RAV4 sport V6 and provides usefull hauling space while being better outfitted etc. But the reliability reports are a concern
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I agree with everything you said about the 2006 Passat vs. my 2002, except for the part about the cars you are still considering. I'm now considering the Infiniti G35 coupe and the Infiniti M35.
    Then again, I may keep my 2002 since it looks like a new car, is holding up extremely well, has all the features I want, and still performs and looks better than most of the new cars out there.
    I looked at the Infinity G35, but the owners I talked to found the gas mileage to be poor. My 2000 Passat V6 gets me 30+ on the highway and about 19 city. The G35 is about 5 or 6 mpg below that from what others have told me.

And isn't the G35 getting a complete overhaul next year? I was going to wait to see what the 4-door replacement for the G35 was like, but decided the wait was a little long.
    Does the G35 require premium or regular? One detail I overlooked.
  • methogodmethogod Member Posts: 2
    Hey just wondering if you had any luck gettign the "no sat radio" error fixed. I have mentioned it to the service guy how its random. He told me they could not find anything wrong. He told me if it happens again come by. So every time It happen it only last for 10-20 minutes, never enough time to get to the dealership. SO I photographed the error message and said order me a new radio and new sat brain. He said ok, im waiting for the new parts to come in. Let me know if they figured out the cause, im curous the reason behind this error. THnaks

mike
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “My 2000 Passat seems to have a much "smoother" ride. Over bumps and cracks it glides with maybe a hollow thumping sound. The 2006 Passat over cracks and bumps rattled through me and had much sharper "clangs". “

What equipment did the Passat have? Sport 1 or 2?

And did you check the tire pressures? More than 1 dealer where I have test driven vehicles over inflated (as far as I can tell) every tire on every vehicle. Often way over inflated. And 2, 4 or 6 additional PSI can certainly affect the ride characteristics. I believe that all versions of the new Passat have a tire pressure monitoring system, but I am not sure if it will actually display the pressure in each tire – or simply tell you if 1 is significantly lower in pressure than the others . .

I now always bring my tire pressure gauge – and pull it out to check, if the vehicle cannot tell me what the pressures are.

C+D did single out the Passat’s ride for criticism (Sport Pkg #2) – “Lows: Road noise, granitic suspension bushings”

- Ray
    Still not yet driven one . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The April issue of Consumer Reports also said this about the 06" Passat.
    "The ride, while supple and controlled is not as well isolated as the last Passat" and also "Interior fit and finish is excellent, but less impressive as in the previous Passat".
  • glenn386glenn386 Member Posts: 47
    The manual and specs say use 91 octane Premium fuel. Most people I talked to at the dealership (sales, and mechanics), tell you privately use 91 octane for BEST performance, and I know two people who just simply burn 87 octane with no apparent problems (daily drivers not performance buffs).

Several states (including Montana and Colorado?) have three grades of gasoline only, 85 octane regular, 87 octane mid grade and 89 octane premium. Does this mean that Volkswagen doesn't recommend people in these states buy Volkswagens? Must be ok to burn 89 octane because they certainly sell them in states with maximum 89 octane.

What are your experiences with lower octanes, and what are the long term ramifications to the non performance/ daily drivers of Passats?
  • glenn386glenn386 Member Posts: 47
    Does the previous generation of Passats also require 91 octane, that would be the 1.8t and the smaller V6 of 98-05?
    Yes,the previous generation of Passats also require 91 octane.
    Which states only sell up to 89 octane? I've never heard that before.
    Utah sells 85, 87 and 91 octane fuels. When car manufacturers state that the car uses "regular" fuel . . . they mean 87 octane which, for Utah, would be the mid-grade.

I have a 2000 Passat V6 that requires 91 octane.

Also, remember that using an octane not designed for your engine will result in lower efficiency. If the engine requires 91 octane and you use 87 octane to save money, you will probably get worse gas mileage and, actually, end up spending more money on fuel. It is best to stick with the recommended octane.