Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Bluetooth will be standard on all 09 models. The kit is made by Nokia and should even have RNS-510 integration. No need to have the RNS-510 in order to have bluetooth. It will be retrofittable in 06-08 models. All models will have it except the Beetle bug and the Touareg. Startac also has one but thats for the European market.
  • asefasef Member Posts: 12
    I may be getting way ahead of myself, but this mean that the disabled "phone" button on the steering wheel in my 2007 Passat 2.0T Wagon could be brought to life?

Or, maybe you can help me understand what "It will be retrofittable in 06-08 models" would mean for me as an owner of a 2007 wagon.
    It means you can install it in a 2006, 2007, and 2008 model. It will enable that phone button. Also you will need the multi function wheel with the phone button. It finally enables the phone button. It also integrates with the multi function display in the dashboard. September to October is when this thing should come out at your local dealer.
  • asefasef Member Posts: 12
    Unbelievable... this will be cool when it comes out. Any idea what this will cost? When there's a part number, or service bulletin, or whatever, if you think about it, maybe come back and post it here so we can bring it to our dealer and they won't look at us funny. :-)

BTW, I don't have the nav unit, just the regular stereo (this one). I assume it will still work with that unit?

I assume talking on the 'car phone' via bluetooth requires both a mic and speakers. Speakers I got. But where is the 'mic' in the car?
    I will get the part number when this thing comes out. You don't need the navigation system. The microphone area is located in the overhead console. There is no microphone installed though. The kit should come with everything you need to install it. The price should be 300 to 550 US. Somewhere in between. Hope this helps.
    The new RNS-510 can now integrate with climatronic. Requires a new climatronic module. VW will update the climatronic units to work with it. It sends CAN-BUS signals into the unit and therefore displays the information. I know it's a CC but it can be retrofitted. Or you can just retrofit the 09 Climatronic. Just another cool feature.
    Bluetooth might be coming sooner than expected maybe. Some say it will come out within a month or 2. This could easily be the Nokia kit. This kit also integrates into the MFD/MFI display.
    It's avaliable now but only in Europe. The basic Skoda kit does work with the Passat. This kit is available but pricey. Need to get some wiring and connectors. About 525 USD shipped from Octavia-vrs.com and you have to contact them to get it. Also programming by VCDS aka VAG-com is needed. The microphone goes in the overhead console. The piece with holes. This kit also integrates with the RNS-510 navigation system and has a garmin like touch screen menu with dial pad. Hope this helps.
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    I would agree - there is no problem with it. Has not gotten ever gotten stuck, etc.
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Own a '07 Passat 2.0T. After 15K miles I have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Coming from years of Honda ownership, I was concerned about reliability, but happy to report no problems after a year on the road. MPG have been solid at about 24 - 25 combined city/highway.

~ LS
    The kit is finally here. 1K0 051 437. Requires installation by a dealer. A shop can't do it unless it has the official VAS or an the aftermarket VCDS programmer. Has all the features I mentioned above. Just in time for the CA ban. Anybody with a passat that has a phone button and no phone integration should have this. Only 299 USD. More expensive than a parrot but fully integrated. Works with the navigation system and the RNS-510 navigation system. Also you don't need a navi system for this to work. Hope this helps.

The 299 USD price is the 1stvwparts.com price. The retail price is around 340 USD. Still a good bargain. Cheaper than the european one. The euro kit costs over 500 USD so this is a great deal. Hope this helps.
    End of July/Early August is the release date. You can go to your dealer and order this now using the 1K0 051 437 part number. This kit is the real deal people. If your passat has a non working phone button then this make it useful. It does require programming. Unlocks the Telephone menu in the MFD/MFI. Only cars with the phone button and the MFD will be able to work.
  • gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    How is the reliability of passat's lately?
    From this link, it seems like 2008 is good. But 2007 is bad.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/volkswagen/passat/101003547/ratings_jdpower.html-
    How does JD Powers get this information?
    Is 2008 good because its too new? Then next year it will have as bad of reliability as the 2007 has now?
    Or do they do some kind of estimating?

I am looking for a new car. I currently have a 1995 Infiniti J30. So I drive cars into the ground.
    Would VW not be a good choice for me?
  • kcejfankcejfan Member Posts: 8
    I have had my 2007 Passat Wgn. since March 2007 and now have 6,000miles and have not had it back to the dealer ONCE for any issues - one issue I did find out is this engine does consume oil so keep an eye on your dip stick - I have had to add a few quarts.

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Review

I spent over 8 months researching all available vehicles meeting my criteria and this car won hands-down for engineering, mileage, styling,and value. I have the fully-loaded every option sports pkg2 (granite green-blk interior) and it was still $10k less than comparable Volvo, Audi, BMW, SAAB or Mercedes.The electronics, safety and gadgets are mind blowing! I can't stress enough to splurge on the Dynaudio it delivers THE BEST in the industry sound at an exceptional value. Be patient with the city mileage: it will spike once the engine gets broken in (4,000). I LOVE this car and look forward to many fun, rewarding miles over the next 12 plus years (avg. time I keep a car).

Favorite Features

Dynaudio!! Bi-xenon lights, nav, iPod adptr, interior comfort and styling. Drives like a dream on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Premium fuel requirement pretty much wipes out the great mileage - BIG disappointment. VW desperately needs a diesel engine for the Passat
  • dlflyboydlflyboy Member Posts: 24
    Yeah. Jeff Sikes does not give loaners. I've had bimmers in the past. Century Auto is the bomb :) But, the passat is not a brand new one. It has everything but 4motion for 28k. It's an '08 w/10k miles. I wouldn't pay 38k for a new one either. :)
  • stapletongroupstapletongroup Member Posts: 1
    Hello Passat forum. As difficult as it was, I traded in my '03 BMW M3 SMG with 115K miles for an interesting '06 Passat 2.0T Value. I have absolutely no clue if I made a horrible mistake because I'm totally ignorant to VWs but for some reason I really like the car because it "seems" like it may be fun to tweak.

Any suggestions for places/sites to visit in order to find out what modifications exist, accessories, etc? And, can anyone provide any reliable information regarding what mechanical issues I should be on the lookout for since I still have some mileage left on the factory warranty?

Thanks,
    Frankie C.
  • crsdoccrsdoc Member Posts: 8
    Passat Owners: does anyone out there have the "footwell lighting" in their passat? I believe this is for 2007+/Komfort-and-above models, which is always mentioned right alongside with "ambient lighting".

Just got my 2008 Passat Lux...I know the ambient lighting are the red LED spots over the Tiptronic shifter/console--very cool, and work fine. But, is there also supposed to be "always-on" footwell lighting to match? I found the adjustment in the "Convenience" menu of the MFD, and verified that 'footwell lighting' is turned on, but no dice...

Or, alternatively, maybe the "footwell lighting" is plain white light that comes on with doors open?

Thanks!
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Welcome. Do a search on the web for VW forums. I can´t post the link here b-c it´s against the rules. The other site ends in ...ex.

good luck.
  • jpassatjpassat Member Posts: 3
    I’m looking at a 2006 4motion Passat (base model 4motion; ie, vtex, 6-speed auto, sunroon, 6-disc CD changer, 17” wheels) with 12k miles for $19.5k. It’s VW certified (hence a 2 year warranty extension). Is this a good deal?
  • crsdoccrsdoc Member Posts: 8
    thanks, got it!

actually i think i might try my very own mod., putting in a subtle red LED under the front dash on each side, attached to the dashboard dimmer switch...matching the overhead LED lights which illuminate the console.

was I allowed to post that??!? :shades:
  • bvarrassobvarrasso Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can get a service manual and engine light reset tool for a 2006 Volkswagon Passat? I wanted to read the instructions on changing the oil for starters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Castrol Synthetic 5w-40 and a purolator filter. I just wanted to check out the instructions to make sure I followed the correct procedure to get to the filter, etc etc.

Thanks!!
  • www5www5 Member Posts: 4
    I have been changing oil in my Passat (2.0T) w/o a service manual. You need to take off the shield under the engine to access the filter and drain plug. The filter cover unscrews, but be prepared for a little leaking oil when you take it off. Be sure the old gasket is removed and a new gasket is installed. I think VW recommends 0W-40 synthetic oil. Tha oi should have a VW spec on it.

The only thing I haven't found is how to reset the service indication due warning.

Good Luck
  • stephangstephang Member Posts: 9
    I have this weird stuff happening to my MFD display on my 07 Passat Wagon 2.0T (lux pack): from time to time, the display turns all bright red (like all the LCDs are lit) and is of course unreadable. It would come and go at random intervals. Anyone has ever hard of this? :confuse:
    Thx,
  • clark18clark18 Member Posts: 6
    Drove from Atlanta to Pittsburgh last week and had planned to set the cruise on 65 to get the best gas mileage. Ended up more like 75-80 but that was better than my usual 85-90 and I got a shade over 30 mpg. Then a long road trip around PA on two lane roads and mountains and I still got 30 mpg. A/C was on nearly all the time.
    One problem arose in PA: you would push that remote thing to start the car and nothing would happen. On the second or third try the car would start normally. One time it turned over slowly, as in a weak battery. Later in the week, VW replaced the battery under warranty but this evening , back in Georgia, it did it again, didn't start til the 4th try and I thought I would have to call for emergency service. For the first time in my life.
    Does anyone have experience with this, possibly a failure of that strange, parallel universe ignition switch that this car has?
  • bvarrassobvarrasso Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!! The oil drain plug was accessible without taking of the shield as I found out. I had to take the shield off as you said to find the oil filter on the front of the engine. Thanks again!! Let me know if you can ever find a light reset tool!
    Weird problem. Please keep us posted.
  • milezmilez Member Posts: 1
    Just checking to see if I'm the only one experiancing issues with the stereo in my passat. For one what seems like paint is bubbling off the buttons and two the cd sometimes will not eject completely. I searched the forums and didn't see anything about this. Is this common?
  • chefrankchefrank Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem with the lock/unlock buttons on door pannel. Dealer replace all buttons free of charge under the bumper to bumper warranty. Have herd that VW will simply pull your radio out and replace the whole thing because its easier than replacing buttons. Hopefully dealer will have a new radio in stock for you so it should only take about an hour to switch out radios.
    I second what chefrank said about the buttons. It's a known problem. It happens to some Passats, but not others. Dealer should replace them under warranty.

Lets us know what your dealer says.
  • isinglowisinglow Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 2007 Passat turbo 4 in to have the tires balanced as I was getting lots of road noise (but not major vibration)..kind of like a small flat tire...

I have less than 19,000 miles on this car and the front tires are down to 3 and 4/32 of tread. The rears are pretty good at 6 and 7/32. These are the original Euro Continental Contacts.

Anyone else had this low of tire tread wearlife? Any other ideas for the road noise/feel?
  • rumrunner1rumrunner1 Member Posts: 8
    Had that happen to me this summer. It happened infrequently at first but the problem became worse very quickly. The dealer said it was the key sensor module. The module was replaced, and that fixed the problem.
  • victorinovictorino Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a fuel efficient car (city close to 29 MPG) and am close to purchasing a honda civic.

An aquaintance mentioned they bought a passat in June and are getting 29-30 mpg and loves the passat. I've researched the passat some, and am afraid of mechanical problems and how expensive it can be to get them fixed. any help out there from passat owners? Is the gas mileage correct?
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    I guess my opinion would be that folks don't buy a VW Passat hoping for it to be a gas sipper. You're looking at two different classes of automobiles between the Passat and the Civic. The Civic is meant to be a gas sipper while the Passat is a performance vehicle.

In our V6, we get 22 - 24 MPG in the city and upwards of 30 MPG on the highway.

The thing with Passats (and all VWs) is that maintenance could kill you if you're not prepared for it. I've never owned a Honda, so I can't speak to their costs, but I know you'll be shocked when you hear that your Passat needs new front brakes and it's $900!

So if you're looking for good gas mileage, I'd stick to the Civic/Prius/Corolla class.
    Agreed. The Passat compares more with the Accord.

If you're looking at the Civic, I'd look at the Rabbit or maybe even a Jetta.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    It has to do how the VW dealers or any other OEM dealer are ripping off their customers.

I am sure the Passat pads/rotors are no ceramic pads/rotors like some on Porsche. A set of NEW Brembo rotors and zero brake dust ceramic pads cost $170. I did the job on my son's 2001 Jetta in less than an hour.

If VW original pads/rotors wear out too fast, I will not replace them with VW parts ever again.

Joe
  • tudoreltudorel Member Posts: 3
    This seems to be the light under the console, driver side, where the pedals (brakes + gas) are located. It comes on when the door is opened, you right, and it is plain white light.
    At least, this is what I have in my 2008 Passat Komfort.
    Thanks!
  • tudoreltudorel Member Posts: 3
    Need your help, teammates.
    This is for a 2008 Passat Komfort, standard (factory) package.
    I tried to turn ON (to enable) the step lights incorporated in the lower side of the front doors (red ones), but I did not succeed.
    I looked into the MFD, reviewed all the options there, no luck. How it works?
    Thanks!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Can anybody explain the difference between the NEW 2.0T and the old one (or provide a link)?

I couldn't find much...other that it is like the 2.0T in the A4 but uses port injection as opposed to direct injection (and doesn't make the big torque #'s).
    The new a4 is direct injected. The new one is a different design. The new engine can run on 87 octane gas and the engine cover is TSI. The Audi engine has VVT which is why it has good torque.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    I am sorry to advise, the front door step light (red) is NOT A LIGHT; it is a RED REFLECTOR, no bulb, sorry, so there is nothing you can do!

Enjoy your Passat!
  • gentid1gentid1 Member Posts: 2
    I've read through many of the discussions on this board but not all of them, so if I ask a questions that has just been discussed, sorry.

I just bought a 06 VW passat from the dealer. 32k mikes. 2.0T. I noticed an abnormally loud ticking coming from the engine. I noticed it at the dealership but the service dept stated they couldn't find anything wrong. It doesn't start untill the car is driven down the road a ways then you can hear it from inside the car. Almost sounds like clogged fuel injectors?

Any ideas?

Secondly, I have always done my own maintanance to all my vehicles, will I be able to continue with this 06 passat?
  • mstergtrmstergtr Member Posts: 1
    How does one turn off the speed alert on a 06 passat? I've read the user manual but didn't see anything on how to change it.

It's set to 40 mph right now and it's really annoying to hear that ding every minute.

Thanks, Mike
  • VWPassatlemonVWPassatlemon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 VW Passat that is currently in the shop for another fuel pump/Module related problem. The car was purchased in 2007 built in Nov 2005. The first fuel unit was replaced at 35k miles, the second was at 50k and now at 65. Volkswagon blames Valero Gas. not likely! I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. Go to www.myvwlemon.com and read up. Good Luck Be very careful this car will completely shut down at 70 MPH with no control!!!! Hang on to the kids.
  • gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    For the 2009 line, did VW limit the Passat to only the Komfort version?
    So they removed the Turbo, Lux, VR6 and VR6 4Motion?
    Was this because they released that CC car? Or some other reason?

Anyone know if they are planning on putting in the Jetta diesel engine in the Passat?

thanks
    I believe you are correct. It was to push you to the CC.

I haven't heard anything about a diesel engine in the Passat.
  • hybrid0175hybrid0175 Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I don't have a fix for you. I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I do realize that these FSI engines are loud, but this is VERY loud and I think it's not normal.

I did take my car in for service and the dealer replaced my fuel pump...ok??? And I got the their favorite line...."This is normal....".

So, were you able to find out more about the issue? If so, please share. I bought my car a month ago and am not too happy when I can hear the "ticking/tapping" in side the car. Man...and at night...I'm afraid my neighbor is going to scream at me for my car being too loud :) Thanks.
  • tigerroarstigerroars Member Posts: 3
    the diesels right now are only going to be released in europe.
  • xhatxhat Member Posts: 1
    I have an '08 Passat Komfort edition, 4 cyl. turbo, 2.0T. The A/C is weak indeed. For temperatures anywhere near 80 or above, I essentially have to run the A/C on max the entire time so the cabin will be tolerable. Not cool, mind you. Not Komfortable, mind you, but just tolerable. Those normally wonderful German engineers missed das boot on this one.
    I have an 07 Wagon 3.6L 4Motion and the AC is plenty cold. I live in Sacramento where it gets above 100F during the summer.
  • bob_yagbob_yag Member Posts: 4
    u might need to send these german engineers to AZ for a whole summer before they can make a komfort A/C for u. :)