Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Too bad about the 2.4, but I doubt it will last more than one or 2 years before the replacement of that older, inefficient engine. At least the 2.4 is proven reliable since you can no longer assume everything Toyota does will be prefect from the start.
  • Options
    cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    How much though do you think a loaded Corolla XRS will run for.
  • Options
    Probably similar to a Civic Si sedan.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The Vibe all of the sudden looks so much better next to the Matrix. The tarp shoule be covered back up.

The Corolla looks ok (in that it's not that much of a progession of the current verions). Overall, it wasn't really worth the wait for the extra year. The Mazda3 is still at the top of the class, followed closely by the Civic (didn't Toyota wait an extra year to re-tool to better compete against the Civic? Well, I'd rather have the Euro-spec untouched).

I don't know guys...
  • Options
    nelsonn2008nelsonn2008 Member Posts: 4
    I just saw an article on the new 2009 Corolla. Based on the 1 pic in this article, the 2009 Corolla looks nice. I definitely want to investigate this further.

Here's the link:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/31/autos/bc.mi.toyota.corolla.ap/index.htm?postvers- ion=2007103115
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    after all. The Corolla is the same as the Chinese/Euro version. The Matrix is slightly modified Auris/Blade. Nav system is identical to the one you can get on Scions. Jaxs you still haven't answered me about what you drive. You seem to have a disdain for anything Toyota.
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I'm guessing that loaded with VSC, leather, Navi and JBL+BT it will top out around $23000-ish.

I'd estimate the Base model w/o VSC at $16500-ish for 4AT or $15800 as a 5M.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    It had been class-leading (at least with manual) and now it's worse than a 2008.
    They kept the 4-speed automatic on a 2009 model when the Civic has had the 5-speed since 2006 models.

This is crazy. Maybe they rushed it to market and there are some more efficient engines and transmissions around the corner for 2010 or 2011 models.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The first three are SEMA-only (tuner car) - has a strange Ford feeling to it and an Audi name (S3). Aftermarket at its finest, and those wheels look atrocious.
  • Options
    And we're still outselling the Civic! You want fuel economy buy a Prius! Or a Honda Insight. Oh, wait. They don't make it anymore. :(
    Now with this new Corolla we're going to bury it. The XRS comes with a 5spd stick or 5spd Auto and the 2.4l. So does the XLE Corolla. Yes XLE.
    Put that in your Civic pipe and smoke it!
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Hey, that's just a sample of what you can do with after market stuff. You can customize however you like.
    Mack
  • Options
    The XLE Corolla does not come with a 5-speed automatic.
    Only the 2.4 engine on the XRS.

The Standard, LE and XLE models will be equipped with an all-new 1.8-liter Dual VVT-i engine producing 132 Hp and 128 lb-ft of torque. The engine can be matted either to a five-speed manual or four-speed auto gearbox.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/10/2009-toyota-corolla-sedan-unveiled-at.html

Embarrassing. More embarrassing to come out with a new model compact sedan with lower EPA estimates than the old vehicle it's replacing.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Doesn't look ALL that different from the mini-Camry/maxi-Yaris we all expected. And that's all the good, as far as I can see. I dunno how a Corolla XRS with 158 hp is going to go head to head with the racy chassis and 200 hp of the Civic SI (not to mention the Sentra SE-R and Spec V), if they are expected to be priced the same.

This info makes it VERY hard to understand what they took an extra year for. Once the '09 hits and starts to sell without the routine $2000-3000 discounts of the current model, look for Civic sales to bump back up.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123245

The 10th-generation Corolla doesn't look like a radical departure from its predecessor. But Toyota nevertheless has made some substantial improvements in content, fuel economy, safety, and passenger and luggage space.

Exactly how was fuel economy substantially improved again?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This info makes it VERY hard to understand what they took an extra year for.

Simple: dollars (or yen). Why come out with a new design when the old one is selling well?
  • Options
    tboudrottboudrot Member Posts: 7
    I am so disappointed... The new Corolla is just as boring and bland as the old Corolla. I heard Toyota delayed this model because it would not compare well with the Civic. Yet, the new model is completely underwhelming. It is a shame because there are some nice improvements. As the article says, you can repackage and rename Velveeta, but it is still Velveeta.. What was Toyota thinking?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Good analogy with Velveeta.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I stand corrected. You're right. It's the 2.4l on the XRS Corolla and XRS Matrix.

"Embarrassing." Dude, get a grip! You think Toyota doesn't know what they're doing? They put this Corolla in other markets, Europe, Australia, etc., leave it out there for a couple of years and bugs if any are worked out before they drop it on us and China. Brilliant. There is nothing embarrassing about the EPA estimates. The new Corolla is rated under the new EPA estimates, as are all the current 08 models.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Exactly. The USD is getting killed on the international financial markets, and for the first time in 40 years, the Canadian dollar is equal in value to the USD. If it wasn't for domestic production of Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, et. al. vehicles, their prices would increase substantially.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    The big problem with the new Corolla--which are otherwise nice vehicles--is the lack of a decent 5AT automatic for the low-end models. I'd rather get a new Honda Civic EX sedan with a REAL 5AT transmission, which will offer better fuel economy in freeway driving.
  • Options
    I'm not sure where you picked up this 'worse fuel economy' aspect. To what exactly are you referring. The new 1.8L dual VVTi should be better than the prior generation.

The2.4L is bigger and it will not be as efficient. How is this unusual?
  • Options
    Again, it ran into the Tundra launch. The good soldier Corolla took a step backward to allow the Tundra the entire spotlight....and it was selling well and make huge profits.
  • Options
    The new Corolla is just as boring and bland as the old Corolla. I heard Toyota delayed this model because it would not compare well with the Civic

How many times can this goofy internet urban legend get repeated. It was never delayed because of the Civic. This design was finished over 2-1/2 yrs ago and debuted in Europe and Australia on time. It was delayed in NA because of..............THE TUNDRA.

Nothing changed since it was finished back in 2005.

It will continue to kick the Civic's butt because it appeals to the middle of the market where most of the buyers are located. Will it make the purist purr and go soft, no not at all. All it will do is sell, sell, sell and make gobs of money.

Hello? this is a business and the point of this business is to make the most money at the end of the year. The new Gen probably ranks 3rd or 4th in the enthusiast world. However it just kills all the rest in Wall Street's world.
  • Options
    The mileage estimates are lower than before. The XRS has less horsepower than the previous upgraded XRS engine and much less than the Civic Si it competes with. The XRS engine is a Camry engine that's due for replacement very soon. Not that sporty.
    The 2.4 liter mileage estimates are about the same as the 3.5 liter V6 estimates on the 2008 268HP Accord.

The lower mileage of the base engine has nothing to with the new EPA rating standards because the new standards started with the 2008s and this is a 2009.
    There is no reason to not be disappointed when fuel economy on a compact sedan gets worse with a newer generation. The old 4-speed automatic may be partly responsible, but the manual does little better.
  • Options
    It's not clear from the press release, but for the 1.8L engine in 2008 the current values are 4AT 26C / 35H. For 2009 the 'preliminary' values appear to be 27C / 35H.

You are right about the 2.4L in the XRS. It's ho-hum. Why? I'd only be speculating that the money this time around is being put into the interiors, Leather, Navi, BT. The 2.4L is a very basic engine due for a redo soon that probably costs almost nothing to manufacture ( relatively ).

This is a basic economy model where buyers mostly want nothing in it at the lowest rock bottom price. The volume, and profits, are in vanilla. The sexy specs don't make much money.
  • Options
    There may be some confusion about the mileage reports I'm seeing. It looks like the Matrix and Corolla might not get the same mileage. They Corolla estimates are not differentiating manual vs automatic mileage. Maybe they get the same mileage, but they are being very unclear. The Matrix reviews show different mileage for automatic vs manual.
    If the Corolla 4-speed automatic 1.8 actually gets EPA estimates of 27/35, then it would be doing roughly the same as Civic automatic that gets 25/36 under 2008 standards.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/31/autos/bc.mi.toyota.corolla.ap/index.htm?postvers- - - - - ion=2007103115

The smaller engine gets city/highway mileage of 25/35 miles per gallon while the larger one gets 22/30 mpg, Toyota said.
  • Options
    From Toyota's Press Release yesterday the numbers were shown as 27/35 and 22/30. I guess we;ll see soon enough.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/corolla/prelaunch/corollapr.pdf
  • Options
    They avoid saying what transmission goes with that mileage. They may be just touting whichever gets highest mpg.
    The manual had better mileage than the automatic on the last generation, but most buyers want automatic.
    If that's mileage for automatic, then it's good.
  • Options
    Yep noticed that too. They mention the manual amost as an aside.
  • Options
    cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Does anyone know if you can get the corolla with power seats?
  • Options
    Power seats won't be available.
    Mack
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Like the new Highlander, another disaster redesign. The only way they can sell this is to continue offering rebates.
  • Options
    Gosh are you off track on this. You do know that for a good part of last year ( YR 5 ) there were NO REBATES in certain parts of the country. You also know that the most common rebate now is about $750 off ...but..the Base Price is $1000 higher than when the vehicle debuted in 2003.

Put fuel at $5 a gallon by next summer and these will be sold out.
  • Options
    I think the 2008 Ford Focus is the cheapest car you can buy with power seats and it is only a 4-way power drivers seat.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Thanks again for setting the record straight. Toyota ALWAYS gets beat-up in forums like these for the exact reason you state - that it appeals to the middle of the market (in other words, most of the country) not most of the car enthusiasts on this website, which is a small minority.

Again, thanks for your knowledge and insight.
  • Options
    imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    It seems "Push-Button Start" and "Automatic Climate Control" (as shown in a European version - see first link below) may not be available. I haven't seen any mention of these yet for the 2009 US model.

Has anyone heard if either of these will be options? If so, will they be available options on the XLE trim level?

http://www.toyota.pt/Images/t8_cor07_car_gal_18_1024_tcm270-513975.jpg

http://www.toyota.pt/cars/new_cars/corolla/gallery.aspx
  • Options
    No. The features of the US model are in the US press release. It does not get features from other countries.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I was shocked to see the horsepower for the Corolla at 132 is still less than the Civic at 140.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/corolla/prelaunch/corollaspecs.pdf

You'd think with the delay they could've juiced the engine up a bit to be higher than Hondas. Why offer a sporty type S with larger wheels and spoilers and yet include a little putt-putt engine in it.
  • Options
    mitcheelmitcheel Member Posts: 2
    i guess its the same corolla that we have seen in australian markets for a long time now. check this http://theyreviewed.blogspot.com/2007/11/2008-2009-toyota-corolla-preview-at.htm- l
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Why offer a sporty type S with larger wheels and spoilers and yet include a little putt-putt engine in it

Toyota does offer a larger engine for the Sporty XRS model.

Sooo if you want a sporty look with better MPG buy the Sporty S with the basic engine.

However if you want a sporty look with more punch buy the Sporty XRS model.

Or buy a Honda :P
  • Options
    The article says optional VSC is a new feature. This is false.
    Also, no sign if the rear center armrest they mention.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_7Y7wYO0zEmw/RyrTdPHupNI/AAAAAAAAAPo/y16ZgUx3P8U/s1600-h/- Corolla_023.jpg
  • Options
    How much power do you need in a small economy car? The main value proposition for the Corolla is ECONOMY, not 0-60 times. Besides, the Corolla may weigh less than the Civic, so the power-to-weight ratio may not be all that much different. And as noted, the Corolla is available with a 158 hp engine if you feel the need for speed.

I am more disappointed in the lack of a 5-speed automatic with the base engine than I am with 132 hp. The 5AT might help it get even better fuel economy.
  • Options
    I thought it was curious that the photo of the rear seat doesn't appear to have a center armrest. From the wood trim on the door, it looks to be the XLE, which certainly should have a center armrest.
  • Options
    There is no word on either of these items so it might be a 'debut surprise' on the top of the line XLE trim. Wild hint/rumor ... a 2.4L XLE loaded will have a $24K+ price tag!! At that level it better have SKS and Auto Climate, Navi, JBL/BT and leather and sunroof.
  • Options
    Since they are pinching pennies with the 4-speed automatic even on the XLE, you can just forget about those options. There is no reason for them to keep the availability a secret when they have announced all the other options.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I thought I saw somewhere that these were going to be available. In fact, I remember seeing a picture of the instrument panel with a VSC light.
  • Options
    VSC is going to be available, but it isn't a "new" feature for the Corolla.
    There will be no SKS or automatic climate control for US 2009 models.
  • Options
    Looking at Honda's website I see they list the horsepower for the 1.8L at 140 but no mention of torque is made. Torque is what gets you going, and horsepower keeps you there. OTOH Toyota lists 132hp and 128lb ft of torque at 4400rpm for the 1.8L AND Honda lists 197 hp for the 2.0L in the Si with 139lb ft of torque at 6100rpm. With this in mind let's put both the 1.8L in a street race and see what happens. The XRS has 162lbs ft of torque so I'm pretty sure it will blow the doors of the civic in the quarter mile. Torque, baby, torque....