Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
Don't know how accurate this is but found it over at MagX......if this is the next gen. Corolla (in 5 door form), it looks pretty cool.
https://gateway.nifty.com/service/g-way/MAGX2/nifty/free/images/c- orolla0411.jpg

Comments

• jjnikk76jjnikk76 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know what NEW things the 2006 will have? Has anyone seen pictures of it yet? Any info guys?
  • rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    The Corolla need a better freshening that what it got. Toyota needs to fix at least the headlamps and the tail- lights. I actually think that a brand new Corolla would be much better. It just look out of proportion or something.
    Which year Corolla do you have? I was asking about the 2006 Model...not about the new Generation one which will probably come out 2007/2008.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    should be an '08. I agree that for '06 they should make the front look less busy - the back I like. And they should differentiate the XRS from the others more - proper sport seats for starters, along with some lowering and wider tires.

Plus it would do a lot for the look if all but the lowest trim had standard alloy wheels. The S could have 16"ers like the XRS does.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I hear the XRS is an awesome car...I am really considering this car!! :)

So does anyone know when we will know info on the 2006 Corolla S??? I will probably buy one within 3-6 monthns.
    not until fall, I would imagine. And I wouldn't expect much - this Corolla is selling better than any Corolla in the last ten years. Probably some minor cosmetic changes, and some content shuffling.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

...can't wait 'till Fall!!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Add a Special Edition or a Value Package or something.
    The Corolla has its special edition, it's called the XRS. Value package??? why? You have more flexibility(for those that want a car a certain way) the way toyota does it. All the Corollas have AC standard but the Civics don't.
    That's true. The Value Package on the Civic is basically what you might get on a Corolla CE.
    may be the year Toyota drops the XRS if it is not selling...any word on sales of the extra-fast version?

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Toyota made statements last year about putting some emotion into their styling in order to gain more younger buyers from now on. I hope the next Corolla looks more sporty than the current model. I like the interior room and the interior materials just not the styling(at least the back of it.)Personally I like the 93-97 and 98-02 Corolla's exterior's better than the new one. Of course the 03+ Corolla's have more interior oom than previous generation Corolla's did so that could have attributed to the way Toyota styled the current Corolla. I'm very confused on Toyota's styling direction of late with the 02 Camry, 03 Corolla and 05 Avalon. With the new Lexus GS Toyota actually took a stab at the styling.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    They need to fix that driving postion on the next model. I just bought a xB, but I test drove the Corolla S and XRS.

My current 95 Corolla DX is much more comfortable than the current model. There is no question that its less roomy in the back, but its a great highway car. Actually, since I have had it, its been in 25 states and 5 canadian provinces.

I did drive a 03 LE to Texas and back in 02. I live in NC. It got great gas mileage, but it shook behind tractor trailers, and you never could get that desired comfort in the drivers seat.
    the Corolla with one simple change: making a telescopic steering wheel standard. Hopefully that will show up as a feature very soon...

• heidi1heidi1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Just bought the XRS. I love it! The dealer told me the LE sells the most, but they make fewer of the XRS and it sells just as well. I compared it to the Altima 2.5s and I just liked it more. I fear I may have overpaid for it, I mostly bought it because I love how it looks.
    that XRS is one sweet little car, congratulations!

That 2ZZ engine is fairly smoggy as engines go these days, and so I fear it will be gone when the new Corolla comes out. Grab 'em while you can, folks!

I do hope they keep the XRS line going for the next gen, maybe by having a bigger engine than the standard Corollas or something.

• 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    I'm a big Corolla fan, but I really want a sporty wagon or hatch. I know that is supposed to be where the matrix comes in, but the matrix just doesn't do it for me. It is too high, not sporty enough and is marketed as more of an SUV alternative. I'm looking for sometihng comparable to the Mazda 3 hatch...or a little bigger. Sporty wagons are hot and I think Toyota is missing the boat a little. I love the looks of the 3, but would much rather buy a Toyota. Does anyone know if Toyota has any plans to introduce a Corolla Hatch/Wagon that is NOT the matrix?
    they would have to be pretty similar in spec, this new proposed hatch and the existing Matrix. They have Corolla 5-doors in Europe though, so who knows, we might get lucky.

• 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    "We might get lucky"...so this means you would like to see one too? I really think folks are missing the boat on this. Mazda has some nice sporty wagons out now with the 3 and the 6 wagon, but they are NOT Toyota or Honda. I think if Toyota or Honda, with their reputation, hae similar vehicles, they would just be flyiing off the lots. The luxury guys have caught no...BMW has had a nice small wagon for a few years, Volvo has the V50 and the new A3 is SWEEEETTTTT!!!! VW is going to release a new GOLF in the fall that is based on the A3, but the Golf has had reliability problems. Come on Toyota, I know you think Matrix is it, but to me it isn't. No comparison in styling between Matrix and 3.
  • synpthesissynpthesis Member Posts: 28
    you essentially fly below the radar - you know insurance companies, cops etc. It looks just like any other Corolla on the road and I really like that. I am not sure about how strong the sales are though. I think that Toyota as part of the evolution of things should consider more power, AWD option and cleaning up the engine (LEV to ULEV)
    Six months plus now and the car works hard, sings well and continues to disappoint the unprepared auto tranny/slushbox drivers.
    the XRS is selling well enough that Toyota continues it into the next gen. Not only do I like the car, but Toyota could use some encouragement on anything sporty.

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I was really surprised at the degree to which Car and Driver liked the XRS in their "Short Take" article last summer, I think the August issue. The quarter times were something like 15.8 seconds at 90 MPH. Thats none too shabby for $18K. I agree- the XRS is a great sleeper.

~alpha
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hi i just bought a new corolla s and i just love the car it is my second corolla in a year. my first one an LE was totalled up in an accident(a big one) and i bought another corolla but this time it is the sporty S. it has all the stuff you would expect on a sports car, like REAR SPOILER, UNDERBODY SPOILER, AND SUNROOF/MOONROOF, ALLOY WHEELS, and much more. it has no problem and i got it on a good price. corollla is one of the best car out there in the $15k-$25k range. i love it. go corolla
    that's great, way to go! :-)

This is actually the thread that discusses what might be upcoming for the next-gen Corolla, which isn't due for a while, probably the 2008 model year. Little ol' Corolla will get its customary Toyota mid-cycle facelift this year, of course, and I am thinking that with the brand new Civic on the scene at the same time, they might do something else to spruce it up, like maybe increasing standard equipment. I think it would look very good if they were to make power windows and locks, plus keyless entry, standard on all trims of the car. That is something that is rapidly becoming standard on compact cars. I would also love to see the optitron gauges become standard across the line - I don't think the silver "sport gauges" look that great, although I understand they are pretty standard now for sporty cars.

Beyond that (and that is already asking a lot), it would be nice to see them go to shorter wider tires for the S and XRS - at least 205/60s for the S, and how about some 205/50s for the XRS (which is on a larger rim)? That is after all the tire size for the Celica GTS which shares the XRS's engine and approximate weight.

hi nippononly, what yu said about having standard equipment is right. because Toyota and Honda make a lot of money(or at least the dealer) by charging for things that are standard on most cars. and i think they should also make cruise control, power seat of course, and compass mirror which is also becoming increasingly popular these days, those are also part of comfort and styling. if you dont have the comfort then no use with the style! ( i am not criticizing).
    and then on the other hand you don't want the base price to get too out of hand either. I was hoping that they could do at least some of my wish list without increasing the base price more than would anyway just because it will be a new model year.

For instance, I could see where the 'CE' could do without standard cruise, and where power seat would only be something you would find standard in an 'LE' model. Right now, LEs and Ss go for about the same price, and I would think they could move the LE up a bit in content and price without hurting the bottom line. Considering the XRS is at least $2000 more than both of them, they could position the LE to be more like halfway between S and XRS.

I have always wondered at the popularity of compass mirrors, and wouldn't want to see that myself, but it is a fairly inexpensive item for them to include standard, and one that is highly visible to potential buyers.

My first wish would be for the standard locks and keyless across the line, and the more sporty tires for the S and XRS.

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I agree they need power seats importantly. Good comfort while driving is even more important than optitron gauges and compass. And if providing power seats, add power lumbar support... Well, I'm asking too much...
    well when i first bought my LE it had a lot of option packages already on it, and it was quite different than the regular LE. and just had a $500 rebate. and my S which i bought a month ago still costs a lot more than it should. the 2005 COROLLA had just come out in the market at that time and now it is almost a year and Toyota still does not give any discounts and that was kind of hard to deal with. but even the fact that they dont have some basic stuff, Corolla is still rated as the best small car in the safety ratings(RATING:GOOD) :shades: and the others got POOR.(or even below). :mad:
    Actually, the Corolla was rated "Acceptable" for Side Impacts by the IIHS, and only when equipped with OPTIONAL side curtain airbags.

~alpha
  • mari05mari05 Member Posts: 3
    if people who bought economy cars thought that side impact safety crash was important, they would have bought a Honda Civic w/ side airbags (Good - 5 stars for side impact crash)
    Toyota, here is your list!
    - standard power windows
    - standard power door locks and keyless entry
    - sportier tires for the S and XRS (205/60 and 205/50 respectively)
    - standard alloys on more of the trims, like at least the LE, and hopefully the S too
    - standard cruise control
    - standard power seat
    - standard tilt AND telescoping steering wheel
    - standard compass mirror
    - use of the optitron gauges on more of the trims.

Ok, that's it, now get busy, and oh yeah, we don't want to pay a penny more for it come fall than we already do! :-P

The brand new Civic will prompt them to do at least a couple of the things above, I am sure, in addition to the standard mid-cycle cosmetic facelift. Toyota tends to keep a pretty close eye on what Honda is doing, and vice versa. HOWEVER, since Honda's push is to safety right now, and they are making side curtain airbags standard on Civics for '06 along with ABS, those may be the changes Toyota makes to the Corolla instead of the stuff above, in order to keep pace.

Actually, they wouldnt. The Honda Civic w/side airbags offers no protection for the heads of the driver and passenger. It is a fairly useless airbag setup, IMO. The test you cite does not take into account head injury. The IIHS test does, and only the Corolla and Cobalt offer 'Acceptable' protection from chest AND head injury. The test you cite is fairly misleading.

~alpha
    LOL, you want every Corolla to be a fully equipped model ;)

~alpha
    well, no, I must concede to reality once in a while!! I was just summing up everything that everyone has asked for in the last 35 posts.

I hope they do the tires (but I don't think they will) and the standard locks with keyless, which they might. I wouldn't be surprised to see more side curtain bags and ABS too - those curtains are the only thing that got the Corolla its great IIHS rating, ditto the Cobalt.

The Civic wasn't tested, citing "design changes" underway....
    Civic is a loser to me no matter what. it just cant be better than Corolla. :P
    What makes you think that? I respect your opinion, but you have to prove it. What does the Corolla have that the Civic does not, besides the Toyota badge?
    for one thing, tiger just BOUGHT one! :-)

• mkoppuzhamkoppuzha Member Posts: 1
    Here is what I think is Fair:
    Corolla CE is fair where it is right now.
    S should have Power Windows and Door Locks, ABS and Cruise Standard
    LE shoule have the 'S' Standards and Alloy Wheels Standard
    XRS- i don't care. LoL
    This is what i think is where the compact car arena should be at in terms of what should be standard on all cars.
    the power windows and locks, since they wind up equipping every car built with them anyway, and make you pay extra for the "package" or "option".

They do the same thing with the S and alloy wheels - every car built has the "sport package" that includes alloys - they should make alloys standard. Knowing Toyota a little, I think this one has little chance of happening. Not while we still have two trim levels of Camry with wheel covers.

The ABS they should do and I think it has 50/50 odds - Civic will do this for the next gen, and Toyota is going through this big safety campaign right now, so yeah, 50/50. If they do it, I bet it will be across the line, not excluding the CE.

Toyota has ABS standard across the line of the Camry, even the lowly Standard and LE editions.
    yeah, exactly, which makes it that much more likely that the Corolla will have it standard soon.

• bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I just read that the 2006 Honda Civic will get a optional navigation system, is there any chance the 2006 Corolla could get one ?
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I bet sometime in the future. I had a navi installed in my Corolla aftermarket, and I just wish that they had made it a factory option. I think that Toyota should also lift a Camry 2.4L and put it into the LE sedan so that it could compete more upmarket with the Jetta and these higher powered Cobalts. Also, the XRS should continue, as it is a pleasant conjunction of good performance and a pretty good price tag. But, I am forced to think that the cladding on the XRS looks a little... immature? (Ah, i'm getting old). So I think that the lineup should look like this....

CE- maybe add power locks as standard. Otherwise, keep it the same. Moving the price up would make it too expensive. It's already among the more expensive non-Jetta compacts.

S- Er.... add locks/windows as standard equipment. Maybe include 2.4L as option.

LE- 2.4L engine and auto standard. Also power locks, windows, possibly 4 way power seat.... navi option would be nice, leather still an option,

XRS- maybe try to tune the engine for a little more power.. And maybe 5-10 more torque.

The best thing about a 2.4L engine option would be that the Corolla would be able to whip its clone.... i mean, its to be fellow pseudo expensive compact car, the Jetta. (The 0-60, 0-100 and slalom speeds for the Corolla and newest Jetta are almost exactly the same, and the Corolla has 130 hp)
    I like your line-up! The only change I would make is the S really needs a replacement for the granny tires it gets now, to go with its sporty looks. And ALL the compacts, Jetta and otherwise, are getting keyless entry these days. If I had Toyota's ear, I would strongly encourage them to make that standard across the board for the '06 refresh. If they needed to save money on the S, they could skip the power windows as long as they did the tires and the keyless.

The CE is sold all day long for $12,9 right now. I think that is low enough. You can bet the days of Civic VPs will go away for a few years with the redesign this year. Hyundai and Kia have moved upmarket $1000 or so, and the least expensive Cobalt goes for more than this too. I thikn Toyota would be safe in adding a few hundred $$ to the bottom line on the Corolla CE.

True about the tires. Also the price, but a CE auto is already about 14.5. The CE manual is 13.7, and you can get about 500$ in rebates, so i guess 13k isn't too bad.

I would love to see a larger engine option: the Corolla just asks for it when other companies are giving multiple engine choices. However, the Corolla has outsold the Civic since its redesign, and the Civic comes with a gaggle of different engines.

I think that even though GM has said it's moving away from rebates the Cobalt will have them before long: the stench of the Cavalier lingers.
    within a 50-mile radius of me have been advertising all auto Corolla CEs in stock for $12,9 for months and months now. Those are probably base models without options, but still, the price of a new Corolla is pretty low.

I was thinking - why couldn't the S have the same wheels and tires as the XRS? As for faster engines, the Cobalt S/C is actually a SMALLER engine than the regular one! But the point is well taken. Would be kind of cool if they could squeeze the 2.4 from the Camry under the hood of the LE. Or perhaps just the 148 hp 2.0 the RAV used until 2004? Updated for emissions of course.

I don't want to launch an attack on the environment, but a lot of cool engines are blocked from the US for emissions reasons.

The Corolla just tickles me pink because here you have the Civic, Focus, Elantra, Mazda3, Forenza, Aerio, Neon, Sentra, Cobalt, PT, Spectra, Lancer, Reno, and Golf all in the same price range. The Corolla has been criticized by many reviewers for being too boring and too expensive, yet it outsells them all. Yet the Mazda 3, which is the car reviewer's best friend, hasn't (and probably never will) sold as well. The Corolla has a name that Toyota has stuck with since the beginning, and now there are people who will buy a Corolla on name alone. It would be sad if I didn't own one :P
    Nah, I bought a Corolla because they look classy. They look good with xenons, I have discovered.

A redesign is welcome for the Corolla. Just don't lose the name, because that's important.
    aren't available on Corolla in the U.S.! Where did you see that?

I put xenon headlights on. I found them on EBay. They're the lens type.
    As well as a lot of other stuff not usually found in a Corolla. I had the exhaust system redone, put a very low profile air intake in, got one of those performance chips, had really good leather put in, put in a navi, replaced the steering wheel. It's my little grand tourer. I think I'll try for heated seats sometime in the future. It gets about 165 hp now and 155 torque.

Mines an 04, I didn't really like the grille on the 05. I was wrestling in my mind over whether to wait for the XRS 05 and then I saw the silly cladding.