Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    On the highway it feels like the transmission, although in drive, was left in an intermediate ratio. It sounds like the engine wants to be shifted up, except there’s nothing more up to shift up to.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaCorolla/Index2009.htm

I wonder what the RPMS are running at 70 MPH in 4th on the Corolla and how that compares to the 5th gear on a Civic?

It doesn't sound like this will be the best small sedan for cruising long distances at highway speeds. I'm sure you can crank up the stereo to drown out the noise, but I'd rather have a relaxed overdrive 5th gear.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Or maybe a loaded-up Sonata (re an earlier post that the Corolla competes with the Sonata)? The 2009 Corolla looks like a nice car for $15-16k. For near $20k, I'd go with a mid-sized car with more room, comfort, and features than the Corolla.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The standard model, of which we have 3, is right at $16000...

The key demographic group(s) to capture is the satisfied repeat Corolla buyers which may just opt for the $17000 standard AT version like they always have and the ones who are finishing up on their Gen4 Camrys. The new Camry is priced in the $22000-$25000 range for the most popular trims. Someone looking to avoid sticker shock and still get good value can get into this mini-Camry for $20000 or less.

As to it surpassing the Camry I think it all depends on the price of fuel. If fuel spikes to $4 - $6 in the near term all small vehicles will prosper to the detriment of the bigger ones. The midsizers will gain some - and lose some - but the smaller ones will gain huge volumes. If fuel stays at about $3 for the next 5 years, which I doubt sincerely, then nothing much will change from today.
    What equipment does that $16k car have? AT? Power package? Keyless entry? Cruise? Probably the base stereo and plastic wheel covers, right? And no VSC I suspect.

A Corolla for $16k with all of the above plus alloys, fog lamps, and some interior accoutrements like rear center armrest, leather steering wheel, satellite radio would be a real good buy in this class. If it's a stripped car for $16k though, then I'd either go for a competitor with more equipment, or even a mid-sized car that has most if not all of that equipment. Since I only drive less than 10k miles a year, I can afford 10% less fuel economy, even at $5 a gallon.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I'll let you know tomorrow or Thursday. I have a ct scan in the morning and won't be done until 12:30 or so. It's also my day off but a customer is calling me tomorrow to let me know what color she wants her Scion xD in. The engine in the new Corolla is quieter than the old 1.8l with VVT-I must be the new DUAL VVT-i at work. \
    Mack
    It's a "strippy"/ It probably has the all weather guard package and the EV am/fm6cd with 6 speakers. Or maybe just the standard am/fm cd player. $16,050. base price not including destination. So now you're looking at $16,710.00 plus any options, tag, title, license and processing fee (where permitted by law) This is more than the 08 CE with power locks, mirrors, and power windows, Of course now you have ABS and six airbags standard on all 09 Corolla trims and that is important to lots of people. We will sell everyone of them I'm just not too excited. It's kind of a letdown.
    If it's a stripped car for $16k though, then I'd either go for a competitor with more equipment, or even a mid-sized car that has most if not all of that equipment. Since I only drive less than 10k miles a year, I can afford 10% less fuel economy, even at $5 a gallon

Yes I know that you would prefer a competing product as we've had this discussion over and over on both the Camry and now the Corolla boards. Yes there are lower prices for the same equipment available from Hyundai but there are only so many Hyundais that can be sold.

Soon the production at the Hyundai plants will be maxxed out and Toyota will be able to sell the remainder of what is an increasingly huge market. This is good for everybody. Hyundai gets to sell all the vehicles it wants at prices ranging from $13000-$20000 and Toyota gets to sell what it wants at prices ranging from $16000-$22000. The world is in balance.

Having multiple options to offer the customer is a good thing as well. Being able to offer them all the options being discussed herein at prices from $13000 - $24000 is a huge benefit.
    Yep, it's a basic 1.8L 5M strippie with nothing in it..mats...at just over $16000 MSRP.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Still no power windows or locks at $16K, right? The other dealer near me ordered a standard model with automatic for their first '09 Corolla. It is an automatic with sticker of $17,5ish, including a $640 option package that adds in the windows and locks. Hideous little plastic wheel covers, no cruise, and all. Even if I will be able to buy this car for $15,5 by spring, the competition is singing a seductive tune...

I AM curious to see if I can get an XRS with moonroof (stick shift) for $20K. I don't want NAV or Bluetooth, just the moonroof. If I can get that at $20K, it is a marginally better deal than the Civic SI, although I might still go the extra $1K and get the Honda.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Since the public doesn't have options pricing quite yet, and I think Toyota's press release is intentionally confusing or just poorly done.... can one of our friends here help me understand how this vehicle is priced?

I have three theorethical Corollas which I'm curious about, and in terms of competitive vehicles, I'm thinking of the Civic LX and EX with the first two, and the Mazda 3s with the third.

Can you provide the price for:

1) Corolla LE 4A with cruise control and all-weather
    2) Corolla XLE 4A with moonroof, alloys, VSC (not available Civic EX), stereo upgrade
    3) Corolla XRS 5M with moonroof, leather, stereo upgrade

Nippon - Its interesting that you are comparing the Corolla XRS to the Civic Si, IMHO. I see the Corolla XRS as more of a competitor to the likes of the aforementioned Mazda 3s, Sentra SE-R (non Spec-V), and Subaru Impreza 2.5i....

I think the likes of the Civic Si, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, MazdaSpeed 3, etc.... are on a different performance tier...at least in my perception (and perhaps I'm going on hp requirements of greater than 190....)

Thanks in advance!
    The exact combinations of extras are not available yet but the closest ones out there are

LE 4AT 1838, CK, CL, EM, KE, LE, VS.......... @ $18404
    XLE 4AT 1840, CK, CL, SR, AW, VS, EJ........ @ $21419
    XRS 5MT 1835, CK SR, LA, EJ, PO............... @ $23645

EM is the heated outside mirrors
    KE is keyless entry
    EJ is the JBL 6CD w/ BT
    Well, I am comparing the Corolla XRS and Civic SI partly because they are both the top-of-the-line performance trims for their respective models. But also, I consider the SI to be kind of a "tweener" - the others you mentioned (Spec V, Speed3) are significantly faster in a straight line, while the SI is perhaps the superlative handler of the bunch.

Toyota had better hope that its Corolla XRS is not viewed as competing with Mazda3s, Sentra SER, and Impreza 2.5i, because all of them without exception cost a LOT less than the XRS will. I think they needed to extract 180 hp from that Camry engine (and add a 6MT) to make a real go of a new XRS trim. As it is, I don't imagine they will sell many, just like last time.

Well, I am comparing the Corolla XRS and Civic SI partly because they are both the top-of-the-line performance trims for their respective models. But also, I consider the SI to be kind of a "tweener" - the others you mentioned (Spec V, Speed3) are significantly faster in a straight line, while the SI is perhaps the superlative handler of the bunch.

Toyota had better hope that its Corolla XRS is not viewed as competing with Mazda3s, Sentra SER, and Impreza 2.5i, because all of them without exception cost a LOT less than the XRS will. I think they needed to extract 180 hp from that Camry engine (and add a 6MT) to make a real go of a new XRS trim. As it is, I don't imagine they will sell many, just like last time.

Keyboard got a stuck key? 10 repeats--I think that is some sort of record for Town Hall ! ;)
    I don't frequent the Camry boards so I don't know what you mean there, but keep in mind that the Corolla isn't just competing against a Hyundai. If a stripped Corolla is close to $17k, and a well-equipped automatic about $20k, then the Corolla will find itself competing against a whole slew of cars, both in the compact class and larger, which offer either a lower price with similar equipment, or more equipment for the same price. For people who just gotta have a 'rolla, that won't matter. But many others will start looking at alternatives once they see the stickers I think. Lots of good cars out there to choose from these days. There is also the used option, e.g. those who want high fuel economy in a Toyota can buy a low-mileage Prius for less than a comparably-equipped Corolla, and it will have more room and versatility, and better fuel economy, than the Corolla.
    No the site was jammed up. It look like none of the posts were going through.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    kdh- for those of us who don't know (me! :) ), what are all the other codes listed?

(as in... CK, CL, LE, PO, LA)

and is 1835 the XRS 5MT or 5A?

nippon - sorry that I don't know what all those codes are, but after I understand that, I'll be able to compare the aforementioned XRS with a similar Mazda 3s.....

thanks, by the way, kdhspyder
    pressed "post" a couple of times, but I don't think I did it ten times! I was in the middle of something else, so I was visiting occasionally to see if it was finished yet. Sorry about that! I would delete them if I could...

In Toyota's numerology 4-digit odd numbered models are always manual trannies..even numbers are AT's.

The first two designate the general model
    18xx is a Corolla
    19xx is a Matrix
    25xx is a Camry

The last two designate the trim level and transmission
    1838 is an LE 4AT
    1840 is an XLE 4AT
    1835 is an XRS 5MT

Some of the options codes cut across all models
    CK is the priorly discussed Cold Weather Package ( on every model in NA )
    CL is Cruise Control
    LA is Leather seating
    HD is Heaters for the seats
    NV is Navi
    EJ is the 6 CD JBL + BT system
    SR is SunRoof
    PO is the Power Package
    VS is VSC + Trac
    AW is Alloy Wheels
    KE is Keyless Entry

Others are specific to each model
    EM is the heated color keyed mirrors
    LE is the LE power package
    SX is the Corolla Sport Pckge

Sometimes the packages incorporate several of the individual options. The Sport Package includes ( AW, KE, SR and the lower cladding )

In the Color schemes...
    04xx is a gold
    08xx is a blue
    03xx is a red
    02xx is a black
    01xx is a silver
  • 10th Generation Corolla (2009 to 2013):
    L = 178.7"
    W= 69.3"
    H= 57.7"

9th Generation Corolla (2003-2008):
    L=178.3"
    W=66.9"
    H=58.5"

For comparison purposes here are dimensions for various generation Camry's:

3rd Generation Camry (1992-1996):
    L=187.8"
    W=69.7"
    H=55.1"

4th Generation Camry (1997-2001):
    L=188.5"
    W=70.1"
    H=55.4"

5th Generation Camry (2002-2006):
    L=189.2
    W=70.7"
    H=57.9"

6th Generation Camry (2007 to ???):
    L=189.2"
    W=71.7"
    H=57.9"

The all new 2009 10th generation Corolla does look a bit larger than the 9th generation Corolla but as someone stated in a recent test drive review of the car that is just an illusion. It is definitely wider.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    Toyota has just updated its website and now it has the 2009 Corolla, Matrix, and even the unchanged 09 Camry.
  • The Toyota USA website has been completely redesigned and looks really great! All the new 2009 Corolla info that you could possibly want is now available.
    I read review of the 2009 Corolla that made a comment about the steering being non communicative.
    I don't know what's Toyota's problem with steering. I test drove a Camry several weeks ago and was in shock at how weightless and limp-wristed the steering was. It felt as if the steering wheel wasn't physically connected to anything. I thought steer-with-your-pinkie-finger steering went away with 1970's Buicks. Even a modern Buick has steering dialed in a bit better than the Toyota's I've seen.
    Hondas have very smooth steering with just enough weight and steering feel and Toyota should be able to do better than they are with this.
  • on the build your own page, a loaded 2009 Corolla XLE is $20,740 with a lease payment of $625/mo., 12K/yr, Ex. credit rating. It can't be correct since my 06 Camry LE is only $325.
    Maybe they think they can get $625 per month from the people who want to be first to lease a 2009.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    Hey, I was trying to price a Corolla S, however to get leather do you have to also get that navigation systems with it? http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/init.do?zipCode=60712&seriesCategory=5&x=24&y=7
    "Loaded XLE" may be a misnomer. According to the "build your own" site, the options come in packages, with letters like A, B, C etc. Some things I noticed about these packages:

* It's not possible to get VSC on the base Corolla or LE. In order to get it on the S, you have to get the AT and order package A, $2,985, which includes All Weather Guard, CD changer with 6 speakers, moonroof, and sport package. VSC is not in the package A on the S with MT. In order to get VSC on the XLE, you have to order package C, $2,600, which includes equipment similar to package A on the S (except some of what is in that package comes standard on the XLE). So it looks like VSC could be hard to find, and rather pricey, since it has to be purchased in a package. The XLE with VSC is $20,810, and the S is $20,795.

* If you want nav and VSC, it looks like you're out of luck, at least on the S and XLE. Looks like the only way to get VSC and nav together is to get the XLS 5AT (see next note).

* If you want VSC on the XLS, it looks like you have to get the 5AT, as the configurator says VSC is standard on the 5AT and optional on the MT, but there's only one options package on the MT and it doesn't include VSC.

* If you want nav and Bluetooth, it looks like you're out of luck, as no package seems to have both (XLS may offer that combo though, I didn't check).

* LE and XLE are 4AT only--no MT on those.

These limitations may not apply everywhere, but it appears to hold true for MN. Maybe other regions allow options like VSC to be purchased individually. That would be real nice, e.g. make VSC an easy-to-get option on the LE, and don't make people choose between VSC and nav. If I have to pay nearly $21k MSRP to get a Corolla with VSC, I don't think it's worth my time to even take a look at one, let alone drive one. :(
    Options vary by region. In my region you can get VSC on an LE. It's a $250.00 option. We received two Le Corollas yesterday. One had the floor mats, all weather guard package, cruise control, LE package (whatever that means, since it doesn't cost anything) vsc, and 16 in alloys. Msrp was a whopping $18,875.00 the other was equipped the same but no alloys.This one was $580.00 less.
    Mack