Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Does anyone know why Toyota put such a cheap interior on the new corolla. I mean come on you are spending so much money for a car and they give you that hard plastic interior. The previous gen corollas had that soft plastic stuff that was not hard. I mean it seems that Toyota is pinching pennies.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Toyota is a very profitable company. They also have smart marketing people who I'm sure have figured out that enough people will buy Corollas no matter what the interior quality is like, because it's reliable and has excellent fuel economy. Plus they can sell tons of them to the Hertzes of the world if the public sales aren't high enough to suit them.

As long as so many people buy Corollas no matter how cheap the interior materials are, we deserve whatever we get.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You're talking about touchy feely things again and that's not content. It's maybe the quality of the content. This Corolla so far outpaces the prior Gens that it's not even close. The last Gen was very good. This one is better
    6 airbags standard ..iso 2
    Plus...
    Active head restraints
    AUX input
    Tilt and telescoping SW
    More comfortable seating
    Smoother quieter engine
    Better fuel economy
    More room inside
    Larger trunk.
    Then...
    There's all the additonal features that could be added that were never available on any Corolla in the past.

All your efforts to minimize the current Gen just are not going to hold up under scrutiny ..except maybe...maybe... the touchy feelie aspect. Give it a rest.

The Elantra and Sonata are good vehicles too. The Corolla will succeed despite your protestations.

BTW from www.fueleconomy.gov
    Versa CVT 27 / 33 / 29
    Versa 4AT 24 / 32 / 27
    Corolla 4AT 27 / 35 / 30? It remains the leader
    As noted several times previously.. it appears to be a decision of content over the touchy feelie aspect.

The added content also puts the others in the class under pressure to keep up and maintain profitability. That's not an easy task for any of the manufacturers. Luckily Toyota and Honda have huge volumes but not so much the others.

The 2009 Corolla is only a few hundred dollars more than the rest of the competing 2008's now being sold but it has more features with some exceptions. Now the rest of the pack has to somehow find a way to add the additional features and keep the pricing in line and keep profitability up.....and try to stay within striking distance of the Corolla in fuel economy.

Then there's Quality, Dependability and Reliability that the others need to overcome. There are literally millions of deeply satisfied Corolla / former Corolla owners out there for whom this current model is superior to any Corolla they've ever owned.
    Things I can touch and feel are, to me, content.

I see you are looking at FE differently now though. Yesterday you touted the city and highway EPA figures of the Corolla and declared it the FE leader. Since that turns out not to be true, you're looking at the composite FE number--which to my knowledge isn't published for the Corolla yet. At best it's 1-2 mpg better than several other cars in its class. But it's a new design, the newest in the class, with an all-new engine. And the best it could do is 2 mpg more than a tired old iron-block engine from one competitor, and 1 mpg better than the more powerful engine in the Civic. And that's the new Corolla's BEST feature. :surprise:

Lest you think I am trying to "minimize the current Gen" Corolla, that's not it at all. I am trying to bring some reality into these discussions, so that we don't just hear from people like you who make their living selling Corollas and other Toyotas. If you think my opinions are extreme, go take a look at third-party reviews, like the one that was posted here the other day. You'll see some common themes.

The added content also puts the others in the class under pressure to keep up and maintain profitability.

More like the other way around, isn't it? It's clear that adding more features and maintaining profitability was a strain on Toyota, otherwise I expect we'd see a much nicer interior, maybe an independent rear suspension, maybe a 5AT and a few other things offered by its competitors. It's not like the Corolla was a leader in adding features like 6 airbags, active head restraints, standard ABS, larger interior (but not close to being the largest in its class, and still with a tight back seat), aux input, telescopic steering wheel, a smooth / quiet / fuel efficient engine, and even features like Bluetooth and nav. Corolla is playing catch-up in all those areas. But is still behind others in the class in availability of ESC, interior room, interior quality, driving position, handling, braking, powertrain (power, transmission), and features for the dollar. So it's not just the "touchy feelie" aspect.

I know that you'd prefer that everyone get in line and sing the praises of the new Corolla without a discouraging word (skies are not cloudy all day and all that), as you do, but for those of us who don't sell Corollas for a living, including the automotive press, that's hard to do in the cold light of day.
  • bits4brainsbits4brains Member Posts: 11
    I'm missing something about the hard plastics thing. Exactly how does the hardness or softness of plastics have anything to do with value? It seems to me like a bit of a style bias. Hard plastics could as easily be called edgy or modern.

I did notice that the armrest was a little tough, but getting back into my 15-year-old Camry with the armrest with the rip in it from my elbow it occurs to me that making the armrest of sturdier stuff might not be a bad idea in a car that I plan to drive 15 years / 250k+ miles.

Maybe I just don't get it. :confuse:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    A hard plastic armrest that hurts your arm after a few hours is worse than a soft armrest that has a rip after 15 years. You can always fix the torn fabric.

I don't care much about the top of the dash and door panels, but parts you need to touch and lean on should be padded.

Hard plastic dash and door pieces are also much more likely to rattle and buzz down the road,
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    It's no wonder why my 2009 Corolla LE rattles like crazy in the inside. See "2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs" thread.
    I see this hard surface interior becoming more the norm as required/demanded features take precedence. The hard surfaces are all over my Prius as opposed to the prior 4 Camry's I had but actually I like the seating of the Prius much much more than the Camry's. The hard surface armrests cloth-over-plastic in the Prius aren't that much of a issue but the seating improvement is a huge benefit. I'll take the trade off.

I recognize that it's personal but the Prius just fits better...and at 35,000 mi annually it's important. That's why I don't put that much consideration to the 'hard surface' arguments. I want content plus back/butt comfort.
    I think you've missed the point some of us are trying to make: it's not just about a surface being hard. That in itself is not a problem, if the surface is infrequently if ever touched and if it looks good. The problem comes when the hard surfaces are frequently touched (e.g. armrests, tops of door panels) and/or they look or feel cheap, more like tupperware. I understand that you and others may not mind driving in a car every day that has hard surfaces that are touched often and/or look like they came out of one of those toys from my childhood that made things from melted plastic sheets. But since there are cars in this class that don't have this problem, I am not willing to deal with it over the many years I'll own the car.

A corollary to the hard surfaces issue are controls that look and/or feel cheap. Again, that may not be an issue for you or others. But since smooth, rich-feeling controls, e.g. HVAC dials or buttons, are now the norm in this class, it too is not something I am willing to deal with.

I want content plus back/butt comfort too. I have it in my current compact car, which was designed in the 1990s and built in 2003, and I don't see any reason not to expect it in my next car.
  • roxy11roxy11 Member Posts: 27
    "Yesterday you touted the city and highway EPA figures of the Corolla and declared it the FE leader. Since that turns out not to be true"

backy, you cant turn the versa and civic into one car to beat the corollas mpg numbers. the corolla beats the versa since they are tied in city and corolla beats it on hwy. the corolla is 2 mpg better than civic in city but only 1 less on hwy, so in my view that would favor the corolla.

there is no such car in the class that ties the corolla in city (versa ) and beats the corolla on highway (civic)

so, in backy's world, the corolla is not the leader in fuel efficiency. the fuel efficiency leader is:

the VERVIC
    No, actually it's the Civsa. ;)

If you look at the composite EPA ratings, assuming it's 30 for the Corolla 1.8 AT (do we really know yet?), then the Corolla edges out the Civic by 1 mpg there and some others such as Focus, Elantra, and Sentra by 2 mpg (and I noted that earlier). It gets dicier though when you say, as kdhspyder originally did, that the Corolla is the fuel economy champ because it gets 27 in the city and 35 on the highway. Then it depends on whether city or highway driving is more important to you. If you drive more on the highway than the city, then that would favor the Civic, and the converse would favor the Corolla.

Fuel efficiency is clearly a strength of the Corolla, I don't think anyone disputes that. Does it have enough of an advantage there to outweigh its shortcomings? Everyone has to make his/her own decision on that one.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    . And the best it could do is 2 mpg more than a tired old iron-block engine from one competitor, and 1 mpg better than the more powerful engine in the Civic. And that's the new Corolla's BEST feature

What are the torque ratings? You cannot just look at horsepower.

For now, the new Corolla has either class-leading fuel economy or maybe it is a draw. I say for now because the new Valvematic engine designs from Toyota are coming very soon. So even if the new Corolla just ties the other efficiency leaders, you can bet that in a few years Toyota can drop one of these new engines in and either beat or tie any other manufacturers' newest models. Just a thought...
    That would be great if in a few years Toyota can give us new engines that significantly boost fuel economy on the Corolla. But you can bet other manufacturers won't be sitting still either. For example, maybe we'll see VW's TSI engines here in the next few years. And Honda is no slouch in fuel economy either.

Another thought... Toyota had six years to develop the new 1.8L engine that went into the 2009 Corolla. But, what is its fuel economy compared to that of the 2003-8 Corolla? Just 1 mpg better in the city, and the same on the highway. There's a little more weight on the 2009 Corolla vs. 2008, but... 1 mpg in six years? Then there's the issue of cost. Maybe the Valvematic won't make it into the Corolla in the U.S. because Toyota's accountants will figure out it will take some of their profits away.

Re torque, since you asked:

2009 Corolla 1.8L: 132 hp, 128 lb-ft torque
    2008 Civic 1.8L: 140 hp, 128 lb-ft torque
    2008 Elantra (with the ancient iron-block engine): 138 hp, 136 lb-ft torque
  • bob191bob191 Member Posts: 14
    I am thinking to install AutoPage FA-110 Alarm System to my new Corolla Sport 2009. This system Add-on Security to factory Keyless Entry.

Does anybody have experience with this alarm and if so, would you recommend it.
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    Lest you think I am trying to "minimize the current Gen" Corolla, that's not it at all. I am trying to bring some reality into these discussions, so that we don't just hear from people like you who make their living selling Corollas and other Toyotas :sick:

backy anybody who has been on this forum more than once knows your feelings about Toyota. You have the worst case of " beating a dead horse syndrome" I have ever seen. :P

By the way I am retired from Ford and never worked for Toyota.
    What is dead about it? Did Toyota release a new version of the 2009 Corolla recently that corrects the faults that have been widely reported about it? If so, I didn't hear about it.

Would posts that continually talk about how perfect the new Corolla is and note that its faults aren't relevant also constitute "beating a dead horse"?

Would continually berating posters who happen to have a not-all-positive view of the 2009 Corolla constitute "beating a dead horse"?

In case you haven't noticed (maybe because you're too busy jumping on people who are actually discussing the Corolla vs. contributing to the discussion?), I've said many positive things about the new Corolla here, multiple times. I've talked about its quiet ride, its improved driving position, its roomier interior, its large trunk, its fuel economy, the availability of upscale features like Bluetooth and nav, and its improved standard safety features. Maybe I should stop talking about those positive aspects of the Corolla, though, before someone tells me I am beating a dead horse. :confuse:
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "backy anybody who has been on this forum more than once knows your feelings about Toyota. You have the worst case of " beating a dead horse syndrome" I have ever seen."

Amen, brother!
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    Great Graphic!!!!! I snagged it, hope you don't mind. :D
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    How do you apply graphics like that to the forum? :shades:
    It's very easy. The tool bar below your post has an "Img" button. First you find the graphic you want to post. Roll your cursor over it and left click on the image. Scroll down to "properties" click on it and the url will be shown. It will be something like, www.dallasmorningnews.com/romo.gif Copy the entire line then back to your post click on Img button the paste the url and click on Img again. Your graphic will appear on the post.

Here's Backy and jaxs fighting the almighty Mackabee:
    Toyota sales must be kinda slow in your store, eh? ;)

BTW... how are the new Corollas selling? Similar rate to the 2008s? Better? Worse? I am curious as to whether the lack of incentives is hurting sales of the new models, since people might have been getting used to the discounts/rebates on the last generation.
    Actually they are quite nice. I sold two yesterday and two on friday. I'm off today but since I'm a smooth as butter and on a roll I might stop by and catch me another. Prius is rolling off the lots, so are Highlanders, and Siennas, Avalons, and of course Camry. The new Corolla has not gotten much advertising here so not many Corolla buyers know it's even out. So to answer your question, no not slow. And the best part of the month is still to come. We are rocking!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The "Toyota lovers" in here are doing the same things as Backy does...so what's your point? This is a forum with give and take points of view...that's the point. Many of us really enjoy all the posts on both sides, so if you don't...skip 'em. Real easy solution.
    As someone who will be in the market for two economy cars this year for my graduating girls, the information in this particular forum is what I'm looking for since one prefers the Elantra and the other likes the Corolla and Civic.
    So guys, please keep up the different points of view...I'm finding it immensely valuable!

The Sandman :)
    One thing that nobody has mentioned is brand equity. People will pay more for a brand name that has built a reputation on quality, dependability, and reliability. Sony is an example with their tv's. Compared to other brands they are more expensive. The Grammy award more than likely had an influence on the Trinitron becoming the benchmark of color tv's. Toyota has become a benchmark that other manufacturers want to emulate.
    Mack

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :):)
    The new Corolla has not gotten much advertising here so not many Corolla buyers know it's even out.

Folks didn't watch the Super Bowl or read car mags in your part of the world, huh? :surprise: Maybe they are too busy cutting/pasting automated widgets onto web pages?

But maybe another Toyota sales rep can answer my specific question,i.e. how sales of the 2009 Corolla compare to sales of the 2008 model?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Personally, other than the Super Bowl, I have seen no advertising of the new Corolla whatsoever. The Super Bowl was a long time ago and a whole lot of new stuff (including a ball game) was flung at people who have short memories and many of whom were busy partying, anyway.

Seems to me it's a bit early to try to compare the sales, and I'm not sure what point that would make anyway. The 09 has just hit the streets and the 08 was the last of its generation. It's two or so months into the sales year of the new generation. I can't see how it matters how those sales compare to the last year of the old one. Let it go.

TO ALL: It is past time to drop the petty bickering in here and move on. Now, please.
    "Folks didn't watch the Super Bowl or read car mags in your part of the world, huh? Maybe they are too busy cutting/pasting automated widgets onto web pages?"

Actually, I doubt very much that the typical Corolla buyers read any of the "enthusiast" mags like CarandDriver, or Motor Trend etc. AND if they watched the super bowl they probably were too excited about the game then the commercial.

And to answer your question since spidey has not piped in, it's way too early to compare. We are just getting inventory in. We now have 10 Corollas on the lot. 6 came in today. Once we have 100 or 200 hundred on the lot as we've had with the past generation then we will know.

Mack
    "Folks didn't watch the Super Bowl or read car mags in your part of the world, huh? Maybe they are too busy cutting/pasting automated widgets onto web pages?"

Actually, I doubt very much that the typical Corolla buyers read any of the "enthusiast" mags like CarandDriver, or Motor Trend etc. AND if they watched the super bowl they probably were too excited about the game then the commercial.

And to answer your question since spidey has not piped in, it's way too early to compare. We are just getting inventory in. We now have 10 Corollas on the lot. 6 came in today. Once we have 100 or 200 hundred on the lot as we've had with the past generation then we will know.

Mack

P.S. this one's for you!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am surprised that the 2009 Corolla inventory is only to the point it is. I agree that with inventory only at 5-10% of what is typical for the Corolla, it is too early to compare sales of the 2009 to the 2008.

P.S. In addition to TV ads and magazine ads and Internet ads, I've seen billboards in some cities (I travel a lot). But maybe the Corolla ad campaign isn't fully ramped up yet.
    I predict by April or May we will be able to gauge more accurately how this will sell.
    On a different note, I parked an white S in between the two Camrys in the Camry line and it's amazing how it looks like the SE Camry. People not familiar with the new Corolla could easily mistake it for a Camry.
    I also drove it for a few minutes and did my usual test of the VSC on a cul-de-sac with no traffic. I just turn the wheel and start doing donuts with the pedal to the metal. The VSC light flashes rapidly and the beep sings loudly too! Works as advertised. You should see some of my clients face when I do this. I do tell them in advance so that they don't soil their pants. It's a lot of fun and it shows the customer the safety of this feature.
    Mack :shades:
    Nice pic.

Yes inventory is just beginning to ramp up. We've got 10 'in stock' of which 3 are in the process of being delivered. 40+ in the near future pipeline. This is a normal suppy IMO. Mack?
    You're correct. We should have plenty in stock by month's end. I predict it will be a hot seller as you also did due to the price of gas. We have two Prius in stock right now and those are now starting to fly off the lot like when they were first introduced.
    Mack
    does anybody have this system. Would you recommend it
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    I tested an '09 Corolla S model...the machine would be perfect except for one thing...I found the steering numb, with NO feedback...I wonder if any of you have felt the same sensation upon either test driving or owning this vehicle. It was quite an unpleasant surprise. I don't expect the Corolla to have the sharpest steering, but other machines in this category seem to have more feel to them, as the Mazda3 will attest. What's happened? Toyota didn't dial in enough feel in their electric power steering...not good, IMHO. :( It's a pity too, because the Corolla is NOT a bad vehicle in other respects, speaking for myself.

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • mitcheelmitcheel Member Posts: 2
    corolla is an old toyota cow that is still giving it loads of milk...so who's complaining but surely US needs a better deal http://theyreviewed.blogspot.com/2007/11/2008-2009-toyota-corolla-preview-at.htm- l
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I have read the same complaint about other manufacturers' electric power steering.
    Yes EPS is part of the wave of the future for all vehicle makers because it's simpler, lighter ( better fuel economy ) and easier to adjust/repair. toyota is among the leading innovators in changing over the vehicles we drive from basically mechanical devices to rolling computers.

But these innovations are still in the early stages and much must be learned from real-world reactions. The ECTi and ETCi and EPS and VVTi all need to be perfected model by model. I can see where there might be an artificial resistance programmed into certain vehicles to simulate hydraulic/mechanical steering whereas others such as the plush cruisers and basic commuters might just be left as-is.

After all the Corolla is basically a $17000 appliance to get from A to B, safely, time after time after time.
    There were 3 points made in this (old) article that I think may be incorrect:

* "Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC) is a new feature" for 2009. I thought VSC was available on the previous-gen Corolla?

* "A new 158-horsepower DOHC 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is available for the 2009 model." Isn't the 2.4L engine carryover from the Camry et. al.?

* "All-new 2009 Toyota Corolla and Matrix will be the first Toyota brand vehicles to offer XM Radio as a factory-equipped feature." Really? Other Toyotas e.g. Avalon, Sienna, Camry didn't offer XM radio before the Corolla did? I find it hard to believe Toyota would be so late to the game with XM radio.
    On the high grade matrix and corolla xm radio is standard, all other trims come with the satellite antenna as standard equipment.
    Yes, the 2.4l engine is the Camry's but it's new to the Corolla.
    VSC and leather were available in the last generation. Trying to find one was another story.
    :shades: Mack
    VSC is a new standard feature for the XRS. It was optional on all 2008s.
    XM radio is a new factory installed feature on Corollas with JBL stereo. On other Toyotas, XM is dealer installed.
    Yes, I knew VSC was standard on the XRS. The article said a "new feature", not a "new standard feature." Like that "new" 2.4L engine I guess. ;)

I am really surprised there was no Toyota before the 2009 Corolla to offer factory XM radio. :surprise:
    Maybe they were placating dealerships that enjoyed the revenue they received charging a premium price to install XM.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Its kinda funny because about 1year ago (Message 831), I predicted Toyota would use the 2.4. At first, I was saying turbo... Then just say naturally aspirated. OMG it came true(not the 200hp part... and i'm unsure of the sport suspension). Either Toyota "reads" this or I'm just good at guessing... :P

-Cj
    I purchased Corolla S 2009 and while waiting for the delivery (vehicle was ordered from the factory), I found out that the OEM tires BRIDGESTONE TURANSA EL 400 according to tire rack survey wearing out at 15 000 miles. The comfort and noise is unbearable and tire perfomance ratings in wet, dry and winter condition is poor.
    I would like to get BRIDGESTONE TURANSA SERENITY OR MICHELIN HARMONY and would like to know if it is possible to negotiate this change with the dealership after the Purchase Agreement was sign. I don't mind to pay the difference in price. Is it possible to do it? Does anybody has experience in tnis matter? I will appreciate any advice.
    You're good at guessing would be my first choice.
    Mack
    ;)
    Bring it up to the sales manager or general manager. They might be willing to work something out. Just a little secret for you,..(all new cars are ordered from the factory..)
    Mack
    Thanks for the advice. How about the legal procedure. If the sales manager will not be cooperative, can I refuse to take the vehicle with junky Turanza EL 400.
    Bob