Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mummichog25mummichog25 Member Posts: 4
    So, in New England, it is turning out to be pretty much impossible to get an LE with VCS. According to Toyota's website, it should be possible to get on an XLE here with it but in practice there are very very few of those around and anyway they're quite a bit more expensive. It seems that in the mid-atlantic states you can get VSC but no moonroof on LEs and we want both VSC and moonroof. We really do not want an S and anyway there aren't many S's around here, and the ones with VSC are very expensive.
    Vent: WHY???? does Toyota do this? It is *so* aggravating to have an option supposedly available (and advertised as pretty cheap, too - 250 MSRP for VSC) and then not really available? Or available in weird places ... I mean don't we need VSC more in Maine than they do in DC? WHY??? Makes me want to give up on the whole Corolla plan. But then again don't like the new Civic design and nothing else gets as good MPG, so we're stuck.

Real Question: Does anyone have real experience with the VSC yet? Is it worth holding out for? Or should we just bail and get an LE with moonroof, but no VSC, for which we've been offered pretty reasonable price? Thanks ... :confuse:
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    One of our brain/rocket scientists at our store ordered a bunch of Corolla LE's with no VSC, no cruise control or keyless entry! What on earth were they thinking?? :confuse: Oh, people want a cheap corolla. Then order some standard grade ones! Those are plenty cheap. I've yet to see a standard grade. We do have a bunch of LE's with and without the vsc and cruise/keyless. A few XLE'S, a few S models and 1 XRS (NO LEATHER) which lists around 22k.
    Mack
    :shades:
    How close are you to Delaware or NJ? I bet you find one with vsc there. I would recommend the vsc. For $250 I wish it was available as a dealer installed option. I would put it on all my cars.
    Mack
  • subwayazsubwayaz Member Posts: 2
    Maybe with manufactures, offering extreme deals at this point to get buyers in; they might be tempted to let go of quality for price. Needless to say that the credit crunch helps add to the pain of all dealers these days. All in all I would think it's a hard sell, and let's face facts toyotas are not cheap :shades:
  • mummichog25mummichog25 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Maine, so not at all close to NJ or DE, but would consider going there, except that .... we want both moonroof and VSC, and according to the option packages that show on the "build your own" on toyota's website, in the mid-atlantic states (I tried many zip codes from various parts of MD, NY, and PA, and then zip codes for Newark NJ and Wilmington, DE) you can get VSC but either no moonroof at all on LE, or VSC in some packages and moonroof in one other package but no packages have both. (NY/NJ had moonroof in one package and VSC in 2 different packages; DC area had no moonroof at all in LEs). Frustrating! The closest place I found that had both VSC and moonroof in one package for a LE was Ohio. That's really far!
    Are dealers (in NY or NJ, for example) likely to have cars with sets of options that wouldn't have appeared to be available on Toyota's website?

Also, do you know why VSC has to be factory-installed?

And, no-one mentioned this yet, but ... i should have been clearer about MPG - we only really care about highway MPG. Otherwise there would be more good options besides civic or corolla. And then neither Yaris or Fit have sunroof options, so ... they're out.
  • subwayazsubwayaz Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my New 2009 Corolla XRS and I must say that after the first 100miles that I am extremely pleased. It had been fourteen years since I purchased my last Toyota and in my humble opinion Toyota has improved an already satisfying product. Fit and finish is great, performance is excellent, but not my first experience with the 2.4L engine same as in my Tacoma Pickup. Comfort is just rite and being a disabled person that is extremely important to me. So far so good. :shades:
    And then to top it all off I found this forum to read/share over all the others opinions on the same car. Sounds like a winner to me
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Ramp up/ramp down explains the big downturn in Corolla sales in March 2008 compared to 2007. But not the flat (actually slightly down on an equal days sales basis) sales for April. Since excess inventory is a "mortal sin" at Toyota, I surmise then that the manufacturing capacity to supply the U.S. with Corollas is about what the April 2007 and 2008 sales were--around 32k. Do you know if there are any plans to increase capacity to meet increasing demands for small cars? With sales of some other small cars increasing 40% or more in April, that could mean there's a lot more Corolla sales that could be had if there was more inventory. Otherwise, those sales could go to competitors.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I don't know of any additional capacities in the works. They've got two plants and capacity in Japan available. I think that they are just being very Toyota-like in doing things their way. Most stores just received a 'normal' inventory during the month of April. Sales were pretty steady with good reception by a lot of buyers.

Up 40%? It's easy for a small volume seller to be up that much on not to many extra sales. It's next to impossible for the Corolla and Civic to be up that much, the denominator is too large. Also in Toyota's world, along with most other vehicle makers, May is the 'surge' month during 2nd Qtr. We'll see what the sales this month bring.

Some lost sales to others during ramp up is again only one or two months in the long term perspective of 10-20 years. Steady solid continuous growth is much more important. If other vehicle makers succeed as well then that's good. Everyone can have a slice of the pie.
    VSC is only factory installed. It works in conjunction with the abs system and the car's ECU. It would be to expensive to have this done at the dealership.

Have you considered the S model? you could get a moonroof and vsc on one of those and still have the same gas mileage as they come with the 1.8L engine.
    Mack
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    According to the brochure and web site the Corolla has

Hip room 53.0/43.9"
    Shoulder room 54.8/54.6

Putting three adults in the backseat of the new Corolla would redefine the meaning of the term tight squeeze.

I have seen the actual car. There is no way the hip room in the back is 11 inches less than the front. Should it be 53.9" Anyone from Toyota want to comment?

And another thing, when are you folks at Toyota going to put a nice 1.2-1.4 liter turbo in the car?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Just so you know, if you have a Tacoma with the 2.4L engine, then you are a proud owner of the famed 22R-E. This is NOT the same engine as the one found in the Camry and now Corolla XRS.

Is your new XRS getting better or worse gas mileage relative to your 14 year old Corolla?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"And another thing, when are you folks at Toyota going to put a nice 1.2-1.4 liter turbo in the car?"

When hell freezes over.
    :blush:
  • opendooropendoor Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Can you tell me the steps to remove the front and back door panels on a 2009 Corolla with manual window cranks?

Thanks for your help!
  • pennyarcadepennyarcade Member Posts: 5
    :D Hold out, Mummichog! I, too, wanted VSC, moonroof, and cruise control. The LE's available in the Ohio area didn't seem to have this combination. I looked into XLE's and found one only 300 miles away, almost exactly what I wanted. The only extra it had that I didn't really need or want was the 6 CD changer/ satellite radio . I drove out the door for around $20,000 including everything. I love the car. Happy ending. We spend lots of money these days for transportation. We should get what we want, not settle for what the local dealer has on the lot or what Toyota thinks we want. My very first Toyota was a Tercel, maybe around a 1980 or 81? Anyway, I had done my homework then, also, and held out for one to appear that matched what I had decided I wanted. It took well over a month, as I recall, but the call came, I got the car of my dreams, and not the burnt orange color that was available much sooner. It was a great little car because it was exactly what I wanted at the time.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    This is interesting that the Yaris has a back seat center armrest while the corolla does not have one. I don't understand why Toyota could not add such a minor detail with the other minor detail of putting a clock in the center console. Does anyone know if there is a clock on the NAV system lol?
    The US Yaris is not really a Yaris. It's JDM market Belta. The four door Yaris is sold in Japan and other countries and it looks like the two door we get with four doors. Corolla in other markets has the center arm rest in the back seat. This is Japan's way of getting back to us for dropping the bomb on them.
    Mac
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    My Corolla XLE has the center rest.
    You must have a defective car. There is no rear seat center armrest on any Corolla.

;)
  • newcar2009newcar2009 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone! I just bought a 2009 Corolla and there are a couple things wrong with the wipers. The dealership said Toyota won't do anything about unless other complain about the same thing. Are you experiencing the same? My left windsheild wiper shimmers at the bottom. But the bigger issue is that the right wiper leaves a mark when it is raining right in the middle of the driver's viewing and this makes it very difficult to drive especially at night. Are other owners experiencing this?
    That should be pretty easy to fix, it may only require cleaning the windshield real well (maybe the car wasn't cleaned up well on delivery), replacing the rubber blades, or both.
    My bet is on properly cleaning the glass.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks for your reply! The dealership themselves have washed the windshield themselves and still shimmering; also they took a blade from a new car and put it on mine and the same thing happened. I'm wondering if other 2009 corollas' are experiencing the same thing. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    Did the dealer replace the blade or the arm? Which might be your problem. Not enough or too much pressure.
    Thanks for your reply! The dealer replaced the blade. Yes, I would agree with you in regards to the pressure. They didn't seem to know how to solve it and said to me that they would notify the parent company. Also, the right hand wiper blades stops right smack in the middle of my viewing area. On extremely rainy days, it creates this line that distorts my viewing making if very difficult to drive. I plan on writing the company about these two occurances and hopefully they can come up with a solution and fix the issue. Have you experienced this? Thanks!!!
  • lauflauf Member Posts: 6
    Well that is a negative for the Corolla. But look on the bright side it has eight cupholders compared the Camry's four. I was surprised the Camry doesn't even have door pockets for the rear seat. Maybe for the facelift the Camry will receive pop out cupholders like the Corolla in that blank hole area where the center armrest storage is.
    Pretty soon cup holders will be going the way of the ashtray and cig lighter. Toyota doesn't want its customers drinking and driving. ;)
    Mack
    No, and if they can save $2.36 by not putting cupholders into future Corollas, so much the better. ;)
    Just imagine the savings! $2.36 x 1 million Corollas or more worldwide! I can't even multiply that high. ;)
    Mack
    NOW you are thinking like a Toyota executive! There is a bright future for you with the corporation. :)
    I could go for a job like that! Selling cars is getting old. :(
    Mack
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    I thought they delayed this car because the new civic was such a hit, especially for styling and motor. Looks like the same old Corolla to me. Nothing ground breaking at all.
    Somewhere in the last 2700+ posts in this thread this very same question has been asked and answered at least 27 times...it's an urban myth. Read back several hundred posts or so.
    Toyota is out to sell lots of cars and make lots of money, not to be a "ground breaker". The 2009 Corolla has excellent fuel economy for its class and the Toyota brand equity, and is overall a competent car if only mid-pack in its class. That's enough to sell plenty of Corollas.
    No arguments here... ;)
    Holy crap! Is that you backy?
    :D
    No, it must be an im-poster poster.
    im-poster poster. :-P

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ROFL!! :shades:
    Someone asked how the 09 Corolla was selling when it was first introduced. I'm going to put everyone's mind to rest. The Corolla is selling like ho9tcakes! As of today we have three on the lot. One is coming in tomorrow and we have three on allocation.
    Mack
    Ditto, same market, other side of town. Instead of 40-60 in stock/enroute it's approaching single digits.

The run up in gas prices has sold out the Prius for maybe a month or two ( I've heard that the FEH and HCH are in the same position ) and made every small vehicle very attractive.

In today's sales reports I'd expect the small car numbers to JUMP off the pages. Impeccable timing, what?
    [quote]
    Toyota Division
    Toyota Division passenger cars recorded May sales of 152,652 units, down 0.9 percent over the same period last year. Passenger-car sales were led by Corolla, which posted all-time best-ever sales of 52,826 units, an increase of 12.4 percent over May 2007. Camry and Camry Hybrid posted combined sales of 51,291 in May. Camry Hybrid reported May sales of 5,999 units. With limited availability, the Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted May sales of 15,011 units. Yaris reported all-time best-ever sales of 14,397 units, up 26.6 percent over the year-ago month.

[quote]

Toyota May 2008 Sales
    Not only that but both sedans outsold the mighty F150. Not to mention so did the Civic ( No 1 selling vehicle this month ) and the Accord as well.

From Automotive News today...
    The Ford F-150 pickup truck has been dethroned as America's favorite vehicle for the first time since 1991 -- by two Toyota sedans.

According to preliminary sales figures released by automakers, Ford Motor Co. sold 42,973 F-series trucks in May, while Toyota Motor Corp. sold 52,826 Corollas and 51,291 Camrys.

The last time a car outsold the F series was October 1991.

Jim Farley, Ford group vice president for marketing and communications, said the F series' loss to Toyota's cars was a "significant development."

"But it's not surprising, given the fuel price," Farley said. "That's just a sign of the times. I think May has been a watershed month."

Toyota said Corolla sales rose 12.4 percent in May, but were down 9.5 percent for the first five months compared with the same period a year ago. Camry sales have been flat.

The world has been turned upside down and Hell just froze over.
  • veldevelde Member Posts: 17
    I'm considering purchasing a 2009 Corolla XLE 1.8L 4-cyl to pass down to my college daughter in two years when her lease on her Jeep Liberty expires. She had to lease the Jeep last month because she wanted an SUV, but she's afraid to drive it because it eats her paycheck in gas this summer. My plan is to hand down a reliable Toyota with great gas mileage for her to keep as she goes on to graduate school. I LOVE the gas mileage on this vehicle, but I am concerned with safety. For the past seven years, we've driven only AWD vehicles (Envoy, Yukon, Honda CR-V) and this is a much smaller vehicle with FWD. I am purchasing the optioned Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with off switch. I'm interested in advice on how this vehicle will perform come winter in Michigan? My husband thinks the VSC and TC added to the FWD will make it acceptable. I would love to hear throughts from anyone who has experienced driving conditions with this vehicle in snow and rainstorms.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It will do just fine. The Corolla is pretty big, very high safety ratings, and in many ways better and safer than the SUVs you listed. AWD only helps you go, it does not prevent you from skidding, and does not stop you quicker. SUVs are also more prone to roll over in a crash. The CRV is not really much larger than the Corolla, by the way.

I completely agree with your husband, buy the Corolla. My BIL has a Corolla and lives in Northern Michigan - no problems. The only upgrade I would make to any new car is to buy better tires.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    You don't need 4WD in a rainstorm. End of story.

The Corolla will be fine in snow. It will be outstanding if you simply buy an extra set of wheels and mount snow tires on them.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Living in the cold and at times messy North (Minnesota), I can commiserate with what velde is saying. In our household. we always keep at least one car that we designate as the all-weather or storm-survival vehicle. For us, right now it's a Forester. In most winter days, we don't have a problem getting around in an FWD vehicle, and that's the primary people-mover in our family. But when the going gets tough, our Forester shows up with gusto. And having an AWD vehicle is a good thing, since my wife for work has to drive around all over town to administer services, come snow or ice storms (get good tires also). And an AWD vehicle like a Forester can get you out when a regular FWD gets you stuck.

In some ways, I wish we could just do it without an AWD vehicle to save both in the purchase cost and fuel bills. But AWD does make a difference to this household. It is all different for everyone, of course.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    I was at the mall this last weekend with my fiance and we saw the new '09 Corolla on display. I currently own a 2000 Corolla that I have not so cleverly named "the Turtle". I actually love the car, but she says it is "too small" and refuses to drive it. She saw the new model and was quite taken by it. She would actually drive the new one! I think it looks almost identical to the camry...maybe a little brother or something. Can't really complain about the mpg either! Cheers!
    Make sure she takes it out on the highway and checks out the steering. My husband and I test drove one on Friday and changed our mind about buying it because with the new electric steering the car kep trying to wander out of it's lane. It was a lot of effort to keep it on the road.
  • dd974dd974 Member Posts: 4
    I've had mine since April 25th and after 1125 miles I don't seee the problem everyone talks about with the steering....I don't see the wandering from the lane...no more than any other car I've had. One thing to remember is that if the road is uneven due to patch repair or slope. Most cars will likely veer to the right (fog line) slightly because roads are designed to have a higher elevation at the center for water runoff. Just keep a grip on the wheel and you'll be fine.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying to test drive another XLE to see if there is some difference in each car. There aren't too many to be had in my area. I test drove an XRS and didn't have an issue. I'm not sure why the XLE was way too tight. Someone online recommended only buy the car you've test drove, I think that's excellent advice.