Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• crotoneerscrotoneers Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a Corolla and the first road trip 4hours each way was not pleasant. the steering is over responsive. just as you describe the car drifts or hunts what ever you want to call it. i work with mechanical things every day and i'm not opposed to improvements but driving this car is not fun like a new car should be. i have been to the dealer, of course the car is in perfect alignment and tire pressure is correct. The car is performing as designed. The best the dealer can do is let me trade it back with a 1000 miles. i'm sure thats not going to be pretty. :(
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    There was a small adjustment on the feel at first but after 6500 miles no issues here you may want to give it some more time. I do have to ask did you not test drive it a couple of times to see any issue. Good luck hope it turns out for you

MNF
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I was very hesitant about buying a 2009 Corolla because of what I have read about the electronic steering also, but this steering issue has turned out to be non-exixtant for me.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have over 3000 miles and have no issue with the steering. Great mpg!
  • dmbjorklund1dmbjorklund1 Member Posts: 1
    Seriously...don't have buyer's remorse over the elantra. My boyfriend has the 2008 elantra and I have the corolla 2009. He really wishes he had the corolla instead. He has 15,000 miles on his car and it has been in the shop twice...he had a squeaking noise coming from his front tire and needed a strut adjusted ANd he was leaking fluid which had to be fixed. He also had his trunk release from his keyless entry fixed as that stopped working.
    NOW I will admit I actually like the interior of his car much better....it feels less "cheap" and has a nice design (a great improvement compared to my previous 2000 elantra). However, I will take reliability anyday of the week. My life is too busy to be running to the repair shop.
    Plus I want something that is going to last for a while...my 2000 elantra's transmission went at 105,000 miles and had numerous other issues which really made me want to NOT buy another hyundai!! With the cost of cars nowadays I really don't want something that dies on me soon after it is paid off!!
    How's your paint holding up? Others are having some serious paint chipping on their new 2009 Corollas.
  • ashriverashriver Member Posts: 4
    I find it hard to believe that there are people who dont have any issues with the EPS. I sold my 09 S due to the steering, purchased a Mazda 3 and couldnt be happier.
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    Over 4k and never a problem. Steers just fine. Different than my Subaru Outback and took a couple of days to adjust to it, but that would pertain to any new car.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    EPS and DBW are both the future of all vehicles. They're simpler, lighter, more reliable and easier to fix.

But they are different.

One of the benefits to debuting such technology in this market is that it is so very HUGE. Your perception of the EPS may be very valid and may apply to all car/driving enthusiasts. However 10 times as many drivers may not care one single whit about the EPS 'feel'. As long as it performs and gets from A to B and doesn't cost a dime to maintain and fix then it's a winner for that group of buyers.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Your perception of the EPS may be very valid and may apply to all car/driving enthusiasts. However 10 times as many drivers may not care one single whit about the EPS 'feel'

Hehehe, so IOW Toyota is dumbing down its vehicles until it gets down to the level of dumbness of the typical American car buyer, or what? LOL :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• berniehoylandberniehoyland Member Posts: 1
    09-17-08 Brought vehicle in because the check engine light had illuminated the previous day. Also complained about an annoying thump with loss of power around 1200-1500 RPM. Dealer wrote, "P2757 Torque converter clutch. Checked bulletins and cleared code. Test drove." 09-22-08 I wrote this for clarity to service tech: "2009 Corolla Engine Power Interruptions.
    The engine quits momentarily in the RPM range 1200 - 1600. Very annoying. The tachometer may drop as much as 200 RPM or drop just a bit and then go over the steady state RPM when the engine catches. At some steady state RPMs (say 1200 rpm at 25 to 35 mph) the engine may cut in a series of thumps.
    This is the second time that I’ve complained about this."
    This service visit resulted in cleaning the P2757 Torque converter clutch pressure control solenoid.
    10-02-08 Same problem. Third visit. Dealer replaced transmission and torque converter. OK.
    I don't get the joke! Responsive, easy to use steering, what's so "dumb" about that?
    Believe it dude! Love the EPsteering. Never a factor. But Mazda III is a very nice car also. Test drove one but tires too expensive and not roomy enough for me. Enjoy your III.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I was responding specifically to the wording of kdh's post, and in a humorous vein I might add. However, I will add that if many people who drive the car find the steering SO numb that they can't keep the car straight without constant steering corrections, that might eventually affect sales....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Actually in terms of service, maintenance, durability and reliability you might not be far off. Dumbing down the vehicle to the level of ownership makes it an attractive vehicle to own for the huge masses of drivers for whom the auto is a mystery, a PITA, an extra sinkhole in the family budget.

For these drivers which likely outnumber the auto enthusiasts herein by a 10/1 margin having something that's as durable and reliable and cost effective as say a Maytag washer is a big selling point.

This IMO is where Toyota's marketing diverges from the rest. It appeals NOT to Joe the Plumber who might be mechanically inclined, it appeals to Jane the Cashier and Bill the Sales Guy who have no idea how a vehicle works, no mechanical ability whatsoever and no interest to learn. Turn it on, drive it, turn it off, park it, fuggeddaboutit.

Gone are the 3000 mi services; it's 5000 miles now
    Gone are the 30000 mi tune ups; new plugs now only at 120,000 intervals
    Gone are the 60000 mi timing belt services; timing chains are expected to last for life
    Gone is the hydraulic system for steering; EPS is lighter and simpler an needs no service - ever
    Gone is the transsmission fluid check; it's a sealed system
    Everything else is a 'wear' issue dependent on the driver; brakes, wipers, air filters, tires.

The hybrids need even less maintenance, excepting the HH.
  • nshahzadnshahzad Member Posts: 14
    I think I am having this same problem. Now I have a 'test case' to try it out and see if I can replicate it.

Did you get this issue fixed?
    Did my first oil change on my 2009 Corolla XLE at 1000 miles. I was a little hesitant to get involved with the new "paper filter and case" thing but it was a piece of cake. I used genuine Toyota 0-20 full synthetic oil as recommended by Toyota and the genuine Toyota paper filter. The filter comes with a new O ring for the filter case and a new paper gasket for the drain plug, although I didn't use either.
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    How did you get to the filter?
    The oil filter is enclosed in the bottom of the block next to the oil pan. It's capped with a black plastic lid that has 14 flutes or sides on it. You will need an oil filter wrench available from Toyota dealer, $6.48, model# 04152-YZZA6 or from Advanced Auto Parts, $4.98, model: Ampro 65mm 14 Flutes (cup type). Both of these wrenches use a 3/8 rachet extension that connects to the bottom. Don't overtighten the black cap when reattaching it. As soon as it makes solid contact turn it about another half turn.
    What other oils can be used besides Toyota that are good. Also my yellow light came on 700 miles ago while I was on a trip. What kind of maintenance will this involve.

Thanks in advance.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Will Toyota address all the issues from the 2009? I really hope so!

We need better steering feel; better interior quality; better paint job; separate clock and compass/outside temp. not mixed into the mileage LCD; more comfortable seats (per some reviewers)... Toyota, are you listening??
    Do you have a 2009? Just wondering as I do and I have no issues on most of the complaints you mention. Electronic steering is wonderful and maintenance free versus the old hydaulic system and would hate to see Toyota change it. The seats are very comfortable for the 2009 model versus previous years. My paint job, wear and coloring, on my Barcelona Red car is flawless compared to many other new cars I looked at. I might agree with a seperate clock but that's minor. And you will never see anything other than plastic in the interior of such an inexpensive car anymore.
    :) DITTO
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    Is it just my 09 LE or all Corollas that have exposed ugly bolts at the front of the seat rails near the floor. My friends 08 Civic has nice plastic covers hiding the bolts etc.
    Looked in the manual, couldn't find it. Trolley Jack you have to use the cup in the trunk, so it says.
    I always put my jack stands right where the scissor jacks are supposed to go as these are the strongest points of the chassis made for jacking the vehicle. Make sure you put them slightly inside the jacking points as not to mar the body.
    Hi Tom,

Do you have a 09 Corolla? Because it's much different then any car I've seen or had. The trolley jack I can see in the manual where it goes.
    Where would I put the jack stands behind the wheel so I can rotate the tire?

Thanks
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    We bought an '09 LE for a friend on Saturday. I was very impressed with how the car was handling the Chicago snow and especially how richly equipped.... But we didn't have a chance to check other trims, 'cause we were heading to the dealership to purchase that specific car which was a demo, with VERY low mileage -- and the price was right.

We need to make another decision about leasing a car, and I'm asking why go with an LE, if we can have the Standard trim..... What's the principal difference between the two that's justifying the price difference?..... The most important things for us are A/C, ABS, Power Locks, and Power Windows....

Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Standard trim does not have power windows or locks, but all Corollas have A/C and ABS, and side air bags. You can look at Edmunds.com or the Toyota.com website for more info.

As a Corolla owner for decades, I would highly recommend them for the price, reliability, safety, MPG, and comfort in this class of vehicle.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Thanks..... Well, the Standard is out the window, then. LE it would be. If we chose the Corolla, that is.

We're ending a lease on an '06 Civic (nice little underpowered toy), and are also considering other small, comparable cars, the Elantra, Impreza and the Mazda 3. Will go with the lowest monthly lease payments we can get.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The Corolla was one of the top 10 cheapest cars to own in an article I saw on MSN.com. Actually, Toyota also had the Yaris, Scion XB. Also, since the Pontiac Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix, you could say Toyota had 4 of the 10. The most any other manufacture had was one.

In the Corolla's class, it is the cheapest to own. :)
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I've had an xle for one week and think it is a great car...quality, luxury, economy, looks, comfort, great ride, etc, etc. Yes, I agree the clock, etc could be better located...the glove box could have a light, some of the switches could be illuminated.but pretty minor criticisms for a great car! I do not agree with some of the criticism about "drift' on the highway.........it has a great and stable feel to it.I could not be happier with this car.........my other car is a 2002 camry xle...
    I ditto your admiration of your XLE. I also have an 2009 XLE in addition to my "86"Tercel, "01" Corolla and "02" Celica.
  • howjonhowjon Member Posts: 2
    My new corolla 2009 idle rpm reading is at 600.
    I felt a little bit vibration while stop for red light.
    Is it normal or I need to visit dealership?
    Please advice!
    Thanks!
    I'd get it checked out. Probably a minor adjustment. I have the same car, have had it for a year. It idles real quiet. Sorry, can't tell you the reading because I never looked at it. Love my Corolla. :)
    Yes, I would take it to your Toyota dealer for warranty service. Your idle is about 200/300 rpms too low for a warm engine. Of course a colder engine would idle even faster until warm. This is most likely the source for your vibration also. Please let us know what the technician tells you.
  • clevelander100clevelander100 Member Posts: 1
    On the rear roof above the rear window is an XM Antenna. When I self-installed my AudioVox XM receiver, I also installed the regular after-market antenna because I couldn't figure out where the wire runs to from the OE XM Antenna. Today, I asked this question of the Toyota guy at the Cleveland Auto Show--he said the wire runs to behind the dash board and is coiled up waiting for use--I'd love to get the magnetic one off my car and install the one that came with the car. My question is, Where exactly is this mysterious antenna cable and how do I reach behind the dash and find it? Thanks! No one at my Toyota dealership has been at all helpful.
    Anybody else missing one or two? Now I know why it's missing. $89 a pop.
    What a joke? Toyota charging 89 ea for a piece of plastic.
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    I just got a new 2009 Toyota Corolla S model with automatic transmission from Vallejo Toyota. I feel like I got a great deal on it, but I'm just wondering if I was suckered into it because of the economy, or what? So, what do you guys think.. Here's a link to their website...

http://www.toyotavallejo.com/inventory/search.php/ID_toyotavallejo/TYPE_new/PAGE- _1/SORTBY_age/MODEL_corolla/

I haggled them down to $19,000 plus a $1500 factory rebate, so the total cost was around $17,500 plus tax and all that good stuff... What do you think? Did I get a good deal or did I get screwed?

I was looking at some other dealers websites only a week after I bought my Corolla and I saw some of them with a base listing of only $17,119! But it was at a dealership much further from where I am located at Norwalk Toyota...

http://www.norwalktoyota.com/inventory/search.php/ID_norwalktoyota/TYPE_new/PAGE- _1/SORTBY_price/MODEL_corolla/

So... I'm thinking I maybe should have driven further and gotten a better deal..
  • tonyman1969tonyman1969 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla LE On page 443 (Section 6-2) of the owners manual they talk about certain features that can be customized by the dealer. I want to do it myself. Can it be done and if so how? Here is a list of the things I want to change.
    1) Unlocking operation = All doors unlock in one step
    2) Unlocking using key = All doors unlock in one step
    3) Vehicle speed linked seat belt reminder = Off
    I'm not certain if you could adjust the locking features of the doors yourself for the 2009. I do know however that in previous year Corollas you certainly were. This was accomplished by a series of ignition turns on and off while opening and closing of the doors to reprogram it. I have a 2001 LE and a 2009 Corolla XLE and I did reprogram the 2001 LE but never thought about it for my 2009 XLE.
  • timmy_gtimmy_g Member Posts: 2
    anyone have any tips on where to start with removing a 2009 toyota corolla "S" factory cd player? i have been looking all over the web, but have yet to find good directions or pictures on how to dissemble it. thx for any input-------------
  • brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    PURCHASED 2009 TOYOTA COROLLA DROVE MOSTLY HIGHWAY. I NOTICED THE CAR WANDERS AT HIGHWAY SPEED AS IT IT WAS GUSTY WHEN IT ISN'T. I AM DISAPPOINTED AND HAVE ALREADY SCHEDULED DEALER TO CHECK STEERING HOWEVER SOURCES SAY THAT THIS IS AN UNFIXABLE PROBLEM AND NEEDS RECALL. :lemon:
  • brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    I just want to test it. Anyone know where to disable the power steering for testing?
    Sell it and move on life is too short BTW CAPS is yelling
    It's not a PROBLEM it's a matter of preference. The large percentage of 2009 Corolla car owners love the new EPS steering, but a small minority of new owners just can't seem to get used to the ease of the steering. I for one will never buy another car without EPS steering as I just love it. Of course EPS steering is the wave of the future as many automobile companies are switching away from the older hydraulic systems to the newer EPS anyway.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Are you saying you would normally drive the car without power steering enabled?? If not... why would you want to test it that way?
    I own my 2009 Corolla for almost a year now with 10,000 miles. I still don't like the EPS Steering. I have always driven with one hand on the wheel, especially for long trips (I drive from NY to FL 2-3 times a year). With the EPS I can't. The car is all over the road. I have to have both hands on the wheel all the time to keep it straight. There has to be some kind of adjustment needed or an improvement made. There is always something wrong when something is new like this EPS steering. It's up to us owners to inform Toyota to get the kinks out of it. I have brought my car back to the dealer three times complaining about the steering. The first time they told me they did a wheel alignment. Which I doubt was done since it felt the same after I left the dealer. The other two times they told me the alignment was fine. So you tell me why I'm still having trouble, terceltom?

Just to add: I have driven almost every car and truck out there in my 37 years on the road, so I know what I'm talking about. TOYOTA MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. Of course they will try to cover up any mistake they make, by saying "it's you that's the problem". "there's nothing wrong with our vehicles", etc. etc. Toyota hasn't yet brought anything up about the EPS. Why would they? It will cost them money. I'd like to know how many Corollas have been brought back to dealer complaining about the steering. PS. I have always been pro Toyota with my 94 Camry still on the road.

TOYOTA CAN YOU ANSWER ME?
    One of my wheel covers were stolen while parked at the supermarket. I went to the dealer to replace it. $89.00 plus tax for a piece of thin plastic. This is not for the set. This is for just one wheel cover. You've got to be kidding TOYOTA. What a RIP OFF !!!!!!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is not uncommon on OEM wheel covers you buy from a dealer. What I have done in the past with some cars, especially those on a short-term lease, is buy a set of aftermarket wheel covers (sometimes they look better than the OEM's) and use them until I turn the car in. Another option is to buy replacements on e.g. eBay or a hubcap store (some cities have those) or even a salvage yard instead of the dealer.