Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Toyota announced record May sales for the Corolla, 41K, up 28%. Yep, this now aging model, long derided as "boring" by auto reviewers continues to be very popular with the group that sometimes counts the least, customers.

Will Toyota get the message? Don't screw around with the Corolla. There is a large market for conservatively-styled, reliable, and economical cars. Please, skip the ground effects, raked windshields that cut into headroom, high beltlines, wide center consoles, gimmicky video-game instrument panels, and so on.

Do include a modern transmission that puts increased gas mileage ahead of more zoom-zoom, seats that support American-sized behinds for longer than short trips, and make the latest safety features, like VSC, available on all models. Thank you.

Cheers!
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Your last post sounds like a car from "Pump my Ride",MTV Show, I would like a Corolla in range with the civic, mazda 3, mitsubishi lancer, Nissan. with a FE economy range to keep the market.
    But I want a new corolla That hit the road in competition with the Mitsubishi Evo 330HP, Subaru WRX 284 HP, Civic HB SI 240 HP, Nissan Sentra GTR, and Mazda 3S, 240 HP. I think Toyota designers can fill both needs, DOn`t yo agree?
    One FE option and another more racing concept. something likes "Rides Show", They steal your car a chenge it in something totally diferent. I Would Like the people from Rides, "steal the new corolla 2008, and change it dramatically. I hope you enjoy my sense of humor. :) Best regards :D
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The major problem in your wish list is that all the vehicles and manufacturers are 'marginal' performers. The Corolla and the Civic appeal to the heart of the driving public where all the money is.

The rides you mention are for show not dough.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Amen! That's EXACTLY what Toyota needs to do for the Corolla. Corolla sales are SMOKING right now! If I were Toyota, I would be very worried about screwing up by moving the '08 out of that sweet spot the current model clearly occupies for consumers.

Oh, and in case it hasn't been mentioned in here recently - the new model better have a 5-speed automatic. The 4-speed won't cut it after 2007. I would also LOVE to see them make the standard manual a 6-speed, with a tall overdrive for great highway mileage, but alas, I think the amount of money Toyota wants to devote to development of manual transmissions is pretty much nil at this point. They are committed to automatics for all applications at all times. :-(

I wouldn't mind if they used the 6-speed (but geared taller) from the old Celica GT-S (and current Corolla/Matrix XRS), but the gates are so close together, I think they probably wouldn't consider it appropriate for the Corolla.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201

Your last post sounds like a car from "Pump my Ride",MTV Show,

I thought it was PIMP my ride???
    Nippon and KDH:

You hit the nail on the head, precisely.

From the point of view of a "typical buyer" demographic for Toyotas (i.e. "college educated, just above middle income, age 30 or over), I don't WANT a gimmicky car.

The Civic is cute. In fact, the sheetmetal is overtly smooth: I like the exterior.

But the inside?

I was *JUST* in one today.

The dash is a video game. And I think it's important to note, if you clicked the link I posed in my comment suggesting Fast dream bigger, you'll note the new Bentley Convertible (which would be the ultimate in "fast" at 185 mph and "style" because . . . well, it *IS* a Bentley), has a rather nice, easy-to-read, cleanly laid out dash, despite the VERY slick and modern lines on the car.

No surprise: someone blowing 250 grand on a Bentley does not want to drive a video game - they want a CAR; in this particular case, the best darn performance convertible money can buy.

Well - I can't afford a Bentley. Given my long-term plans, I don't even want a Camry at this point (I can afford the Camry in the time frame I plan to buy, but it seems like a needless waste given my current financial situation: perhaps in another 6 to 8 years).

So a *BETTER* Corolla?

I can support that.

A weirder Rice-Rocket Corolla? That I don't need.

TRD (Toyota Racing Design) has many mods (cold air intake, exhaust, add-on turbochargers) for Toyota products - all made to spec and in compliance with Toyota powerplants and suspensions.

I don't begrudge Fast his dream: if the guy wants a rice-burner, he should have one.

But not at the expense of the more pragmatic consumers (i.e. "the over 30-somethings like us").

Heck - if Toyota just improves the current Corolla and offers (1) an air intake, (2) a turbo, (3) the exhaust, and (4) the beefed-up suspension components thru the TRD division, we can have the cars we want . . . and Fast can easily get his Corolla S or XRS and just whack the daylights out of it with speedy, trendy mods.

And we can have the comparatively boring car that we actually LIKE.
    Actually I am driving a corolla LE 2003, with 4 automatic transmision is nice to ride, is the full one with sun roof, I feel vry confortable with it, is feul efficcincy, with 24K only oil chanhes, and filters, ans as you said, easy to fix, reliable, trusty, with 130 HP run grate, but sometimes I will like to experience more power, maibe a triptonic automatic transmision, 170hp with some TRD tricks,make my day happy. But you already mentioned civic, check the Edmunds home page you will find a monster 2008 civic with 240 HP. Maybe there is some market space for a corolla with this specifications, Maybe I`m wrong, and is like you said: A conservative market to mature drivers. But I am 44, and like to feel the engine with a real power and feel the speed on the road, theres something wrong about that. By the way, My 2003 corolla is in good shape, 115 mph and still keep looking for more power to give. But is no stable to this speed, I need to fix th e suspension.
    I guess I owe you an apology: given your obsession with speed and "trendy," assumed you were *MUCH* younger than you are.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Let's put a check on the personally-directed comments. I removed quite a few, and will continue to do so. Let's focus on the car and not on other members. thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I was *JUST* in one today.

The lot of us just graduated this stage of our collective education, so a boat-load of the graduates are now tooling around in new wheels.

The bummer part is some of those folks are zipping around in Audi A4s and the new Passat (I may be very practical, but I do rather appreciate a really hot car).
    Hello Partners, did you find some new infromation or picture about corolla, please let me know?? :)
  • synpthesissynpthesis Member Posts: 28
    interesting posts in the past while and I hope Toyota considers the wide spectrum of Corolla buyers as it prepares for the new launch.
    I currently drive an XRS (a really neat compact car) which just suits my needs fine. Lots of solitary trips with opportunities to floor the gas pedal (first or second gear) and a desire to be frugal with gas if needed.
    Despite my driving contradictions and even though the XRS drinks premium, I routinely obtain better than 7.4l/100km (approx 31mpg).
    This is a big part of what I enjoy in my driving experience but I recognize that the next gen corolla may revert more to the utility end of the scale. That's ok as I will simply shop elsewhere. Still I hope that Toyota will strive to achieve some balance.
    Performance versions of even boring cars are not supposed to sell in volumes. Just something to attract and create some buzz. Nothing outlandish in that.
    I would like to upgrade my corolla LE 2003, actually it has 127 Hp, if I add a TRD turbo whats the new power??
    Ghange tires 195-65-15 to 215-55-16 tires and wheels.
    Change rear drum brakes to disc brakes, Thi car doesn`t have ABS systems but use EBD, ELectronic Brakin Distribution Device, and trust me is more realiable and trusty than ABS in curves.
    What else do you suggest to up grade?? Maybe and rear stability bar, I am open to suggestion and links to search. :)
    I think you may be wanting to look at a different forum for that info, Fast: Perhaps the Forum Moderator can point you in the right direction.

I know there are *M*A*N*Y* user groups around (even here) that focus on the modifications people make to their Toyotas because Toyotas are, as a result of design, ameniable to modification (both "approved" and "not-so-approved").

My days of tinkering under the hood, though, are long gone (I gave up with the end of carburation).

Did you check out the sites I linked above???
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Fastandstyle,
    You'll probably have better luck on our Speed Shop discussion board.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Toyota announced record May sales for the Corolla, 41K, up 28%. Yep, this now aging model, long derided as "boring" by auto reviewers continues to be very popular with the group that sometimes counts the least, customers."

Don;t forget Toyota totally statisically combines Matrix and Corolla sales numbers together.
    Hellos Partners!!!! I wae searching a while, I found in toyoya nation forum, Toyoya is changing from 1:8 vvti to 2.0 vvti increasing the power between 135 to 150 Hp in normal production. And the automatic transmision is 5 speed triptonic. Maybe de XRS comes with 190 HP :)
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Going another direction... for those FE minded people... Just scoped out www.carpages.co.uk/guide/toyota/ and noticed that the...UK... has the option of a corolla diesel, 114bph, that gets almost 50 mpg with manual...
    Now why can't Toyota bring this to the USA...
    Would certianly have a lot of VW owners looking.

Gampa
    Actually, that is a *VERY* good question in light of the major diesel players in the USA having significant quality issues.

It used to be cars like VW and Mercedes-Benz (the only current offerings in diesel cars in the USA) on top of all Consumer Reports, Consumer Research, Edmunds, and other "quality oriented" lists. And, of course, both German builders offered the best diesels made: Germans were known for their phenomenal diesel engines.

It seems that, for both these German manufacturers, the customer satisfaction and quality 3-5 years out is frankly NOT what it was ten years ago: I would buy the Toyota diesel before the VW diesel - especially so after knowing three people who have had VW diesels built and bought since model year 2000.

In all three cases (two Jettas, one Passat), the owners essentially said the VWs were stylish, nicely-handling, overpriced bits of automotive feces. The current consumer ratings back those claims.

Given the VWs are expensive at the high twenty-thousand US dollar mark (I'm leaving the Mercedes diesel offerings out as the rock-bottom price is $36,000 US dollars; that's entry-level luxury pricing), a Corolla diesel DOES make good sense.

BUT - when does "making sense" every really seem to drive decisions?! :shades:
    A diesel Corolla, Camry, Tacoma, Tundra are great solutions. Only diesels can't be sold at present in 5 of the most populous states here, the CARB states. Thus no major manufacturer is going to have a product that can't be sold in CA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME.

Now for model year 2008 and later this will change.
    KDH -

It is currently planned to change in NY in 2007.

As I understand it, NY State will mandate that ALL diesel sold will be low-sulphur, which means it can also run thru a catalyzed exhaust system.

Which is actually cool.

Because then, in NY (which is where I live), I can have a diesel.

What I am ultimately interested to see is a hybrid syngergy drive diesel. Eliminate diesel sluggishness, up the milage yet even more.

THAT would be cool!
    who saw this?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060619/FREE/60619005/1041/T- OC01ARCHIVE

an Autoweek article today confirms the Corolla's engine will remain 1.8 liters, and incorporate dual VVT-i next time around (intake and exhaust), which will be good for emissions and probably boost power a bit too. I liked the part where Toyota said they expect a 5% increase in fuel efficiency over the current engine. :-)

If they could get me a Corolla that made 34/43 with the stick, and perhaps had a little more power and nicer interior to boot, I would be sold. The only question then is whether to get the sedan or the hatchback (Matrix). I hope they continue the Matrix line, and I am afraid they won't because of marketing games with the Scion brand.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nippon - I dunno if you noted this, above "Hellos Partners!!!! I wae searching a while, I found in toyoya nation forum, Toyoya is changing from 1:8 vvti to 2.0 vvti increasing the power between 135 to 150 Hp in normal production. And the automatic transmision is 5 speed triptonic. Maybe de XRS comes with 190 HP."

Conflicts with the post above of yours. I did check your article, though: it cites a Toyota Motors guy as the source

Fast, do you have a source for your post?

I'm suspicious, Fast, that your post may be addressing an XRS or an XRS-like vehicle.
    I think you have answered your own question there: the 2.0, if there is to be one, is for an XRS model. If that's true, I am intrigued that Toyota will continue to offer an XRS after the model turnover.

I also hope that UNLIKE this time, they make that 2.0 the base engine for the Matrix - with its higher profile and 300 extra pounds, the Matrix shouldn't be using the same engine as the Corolla sedan. It becomes a bit of a slug (a LOT of a slug in AWD form).

I also hope that UNLIKE this time, they make that 2.0 the base engine for the Matrix - with its higher profile and 300 extra pounds, the Matrix shouldn't be using the same engine as the Corolla sedan. It becomes a bit of a slug (a LOT of a slug in AWD form).

I have friends in Kansas City who have TWO Matrices (that really is the plural). They say the 5-speed is zippy. Or is that just the cumulative difference between (1) FWD vs. AWD and (2) stick vs. auto?
    strains to maintain speed on any sort of highway grade, and in town Geo Metros will be impatiently going around you as you pull away from lights.

Now, auto vs stick does make a lot of difference in this model, yes. I have driven both, owned one. The "I simply REFUSE to downshift" 4-speed HAS TO GO for the next gen. With a 5-speed auto it would be more responsive even if the power is unchanged, which I am sure will not be the case.

Problem is, they need to boost power a bit but stay ahead of mpg ratings of the RAV4, in my view of things. Current model (FWD) is very decent at 30/36 with the stick, I think. I wouldn't want to see more than a 10% decline from that figure, even if they used a 2.0 for the base engine.

Mas y mas Rumores del Corolla 2008
    Post: 02/05/2006 08:03:03 pm, Categorías: Sedan, Autor: Gabriel R.
    Según fuertes rumores Toyota estaría eliminando los motores de 1.8L VVTI para cambiarlo por motores de 2.0L VVTI, tendrá entre 135HP y 150HP, Transmisión Tiptronic de 5 velocidades, y con consumos de gasolina por el orden de 36 a 38 MPG todo esto en modelos corolla.
    Accorddin with heavy rumors, Toyota will elimiinate 1.8L vvti engines to upgrade to 2.0 L VVTI with 135-150 HP :)
    Fast,

That rumor comes via post.

I think the AutoWeek article (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060619/FREE/60619005/1041/- T- OC01ARCHIVE) is probably accurate.

Especially with quotes direct from Toyota.

Sorry there, but the 2.0 is either for XRS or similar models -OR- the poster authoring the article is just making a guess.

My bet is on the info from AutoWeek.

UNLESS . . . you happen to have engine OPTIONS available, which I don't expect in North America (cuz we always get the most boring models on the mistaken assumption 'Murkins equate "good milage" and "boring" as a REQUIREMENT for an economy-class car).
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'd bet on a dual VVTi version of the 1.8L. It will be interesting to see the power and efficiency improvements; I'd imagine with the right tuning the 1.8L could hit about 140 hp (real, SAE certified, up from the 126 at current), while still offering decent torque figures.

~alpha
    one of the first models measured under the new EPA testing regimen applicable to all 2008 model year cars and later. If Toyota manages to boost the real fuel economy by 5%, I wonder what that will translate to in the new EPA ratings. My guess is they will go down by 5% from the current 32/41-30/38.

And then again, if the weight of the car increases by 5%, it may all be a wash, and the new EPA numbers may decline substantially from the current ratings. Note that the new Civic increased in weight by almost 10% from the old model.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I hope the Corolla gets a little larger. There is a huge gap in the size lineup right now.

In cubic ft.
    90 Yaris
    91 Corolla
    102 Camry
    107 Avalon

If the Corolla grew to 95-96 cubic ft, that would make more sense. I also hope they bring back the wagon. No the Matix does not count - it is quite a bit shorter than a Corolla and uses much more gas. A true wagon would be roomier than the Matrix with the mileage of the Corolla.

A no brainer in terms of what the car does - but Toyota feels that we want guzzling SUV's, not efficient wagons.
    cars that can call themselves "Crossovers" as the Matrix does are selling much better now than cars that call themselves "wagons". Yes, wagons do sell, but I think if Toyota continues a non-sedan variant of the Corolla into the next gen, you can expect it to continue the "crossover" theme, which means higher roof, which means less aerodynamic and therefore more gas-thirsty.

I am quite sure the next Corolla sedan will grow exactly as you have requested, though. I hope it doesn't get an ugly "bustle back" trunklid to artificially increase trunk space to boost the numbers.

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "If the Corolla grew to 95-96 cubic ft..."

Prius - 96 cubic ft. ;)
    Yeah, but the Prius is a different animal - 50% more expensive than a Corolla.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    If the Corolla gets any bigger, they're gonna have a hard time convincing me that it should still be classified as a compact car, and not a midsize car. It's already six inches longer and taller than my 97 corolla. How much bigger can it really get before it becomes the new Camry?

The Elantra is going in the same direction with the soon to be released 2007 model. So much for rising gas prices changing the way people think about their rides.
    Toyota is on a 10 yr cycle on nearly all it's vehicles concerning the platform ( chassis ) and engine. Major restyling is done every 5 yrs or so while tweaks are done at the 3 yr level.

This chassis is significantly larger than your 97 as you mention thus it will remain the same for the next 5 yrs with a major restyling done next yr. The '07's will start to be built next month but like the Camry I'd be almost certain that the completely new '08's will debut in Mar/Apr next year. It'll be the same chassis but an all new body and styling. EPA Fuel Ecoomy ratings have remained in the high 30's for at least 10 yrs now.

I'd guess that it will have the same sleeker look profile as the new Camry just a smaller version. Another way to look at it is a bigger version of the Yaris. The Yaris now is the equivalent of your '97 Corolla just with a ton more features and more modern lines.
    Because with this brain storm, there are 397 diferents ideas and points of view, I Hope Edmunds and Toyota invite a selected team from this forum to test the new corolla 2008 and toyota motors company give us and special gift or bonus price like a recompense to be an enthusiastic corollaholic promoters.

What do you think, Corolla Partners??? i`m asking too much in exchange?? Is this idea possible.... Maybe... :)
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    Just wondering if Toyota's going to put in a 3rd row in the upcoming Matrix replacement, similar to the EU Corolla Verso/Avensis Verso MPV variants or the Asian market Wish. Wouldn't mind getting a small car with an emergency use back seat in case our Sienna is in the shop, or otherwise out of commission.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Was scanning through the August issue of Motor Trend at the grocery store today and they claim to have pictures of what appears to be the new Corolla.

Compared to the new Civic, the "new" Corolla is still conservatively styled, although Motor Trend says the rake of the windshield is more drastic than the first attempt at a restyle.

IMO, it does nothing for me. Just another "blah" sedan.
    And yet the public continues to gobble up the blah design pushing Corolla sales up and up. Weird. The market speaks as it always does.

It may just be that Toyota has tapped a vein into the US public's buying desire.

And yet the public continues to gobble up the blah design pushing Corolla sales up and up.

I think that most people in the "Corolla" range want a nice, sorta-stylish, non-weird, comfortable economy car.

Those more for the "weird-lite" go Civic. After test-driving a Yaris (with the "centerpod" dash thing), "weird-heavy" would be anything Scion or either Yaris model.

Those with zoom-zoom needs get the wee Mazda with the beefier engine.

Have zoom-zoom needs and some extra money? Go for the VW Jetta on steroids.

Hardcore speed 'n ego with lotsa dough in your pockets?

Audi A4.

The reality is, the Corolla does what it is supposed to do VERY well. That is why I'm after one (speaking for my own needs).
    Actually the Corolla fits the needs of most people - just not their wants.
    Good point. Most people are rational and reasonable so they shop for their 'wants' but buy for their 'needs.
    Its posible to design a 2.4 vvti with Hybrid tecnology in the new corolla 2008, we are talking about 60 mpg and 700 miles with a full gas tank. Maybe is near 22 grants, but you can afford it with the fuel efficiency that this solution offers. please Check Edmunds report abut Camry 2007 Hybrid, I think about this engine in corolla hood will develop more FE than in Camry, because the weight, more than 500 hundred pounds less than Camry. What do yo think? :)
    Actually, I've started test driving cars in process of looking for new ones - as of this past Friday.

I tried the Yaris. Too weird. Interior way too damn cheap; crappy hard plastics and all. On the plus, it was zippy, handled very well, and gets great mileage - and only on a 1.5 liter. Oh - and that "center pod" thing?

It sucks. Despise it.

Behind the wheel, the Civic dash is not as weird as it seems from the passenger side. But I found myself repeatedly trying to translate the tach into speed . . . and ignoring the digital readout that actually gives speed.

I drove a Camry Hybrid for grins. It was totally loaded. Throttle response, especially around town, is like a V-6. Quiet, comfortable, well appointed . . . and, for my life right now, totally unaffordable. I love the car, but I can't have one.

The Corolla with a 2.4 HSD would be overkill. Like the hot-rodders of the 1980s who put small-block V-8s into Chevrolet Chevettes.

The reality is, given how HSD functions, Toyota could put the 1.5 liter into the new Corolla and still get nice acceleration out of the car. The electric motor really helps with "getting up to speed" in a rather impressive way. It's quite "seamless," really. The only thing I noticed when the gas engine kicked in was a slight sense of vibration or "humming" in the steering column and pedals. And it was quite slight - not something that is intrusive on the driving experience.

Fast, are you sure you don't want the Mazda 3 with the 2.3 engine? The base Corolla will never come as you describe.

Corolla XRS, probably WILL come as you describe. But Corolla S, CE, and LE?

I doubt it.

Gas prices are rising again: keeping those MPG numbers as high as possible with standard gasoline engines (it will be some time yet, sadly, before HSD is the norm) will be a must to remain competitive in the market given cars with larger sizes and engines are just not selling as well.

So much so, in fact, that the Honda dealer I visited commented on the overload of Accord V6 coupes and sedans. Was actually wanting to deal with me on one in place of the Civic (even though I am not buying until at least next year) if I agreed to buy over the summer.

I suggested he try dealing on an Accord 4-cylinder instead, and the chap sheepishly responded he was having a hard time keeping those in stock these days.

ANYHOW - given how well Toyota did with the new Camry (and it was just fantastic - felt like a more expensive European car, honestly), I have no doubt that the lot of us will get a Corolla in a trim we find acceptable.
    With the future Corolla slated to come out with the Hybrid version, would there really be a need for the Prius?
    once again this weekend that lots of dealers have XRSs sitting around - makes me wonder how well the XRS really sells, and whether or not sales aren't slow enough for them to consider cancelling the XRS next time around. I hope not, but I continue to fear so.

If the rumored hybrid really materializes, it will be awesome. I can imagine it getting better than 50 mpg combined. I hope they continue the Matrix, preferably (my personal opinion) NOT as a 3-row microvan though. And I hope they offer a hybrid Matrix as well, even if it does make the Prius somewhat redundant. Can we get an AWD Matrix next time around that actually has sufficient power to sustain highway speed on grades without constant gear-shifting? :-)

the article at Automotive News today? Toyota is now saying they will not intro the new Corolla until spring 2008 as a 2009 model. Which would mean the current one would run for six years (first available at dealers February-March 2002).

The current model has sold and IS SELLING phenomenally. I think they are figuring they will just milk the old model for all it's worth. I think a large part of its success now in its later years is due completely to the high gas prices - the Corolla and Civic stand head and shoulders above the rest of the field on fuel economy. So if gas prices wind up dropping (I don't think they will, but you never know), this could turn out to be a bad move.

And I was hoping we would see the new Corolla sooner rather than later...I hope this 6-year model cycle thing is one-time-only. :-/

#409 of 409 did anyone see by nippononly Jul 10, 2006 (8:11 am)
    the article at Automotive News today?

Could you kindly post the key excerpt? I'm guessing that is on my worksites "blocked" list.
    Could you guide us to where you read this on the site?
    I could not find it.

Gampa