Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    >>Eventually the Prius will make plenty of money (along with other hybrids). It certainly makes money for the dealers.

I agree. What Toyota is doing is to use the hybrid technology in as many models as practical in order to spread the cost of the technology investment. That way the Prius will not have to be the only model with a mission to amortize it (of course, this is already happening with other hybrid models in place). That will eventually lower the cost on the Prius and other hybrid-equipped Toyotas and yield a better bottom line.

Even then, though, the ROI of the Corolla is absolutely amazing, and it is a difficult little wagon to get off when it makes you so much money. In one way, it is precisely because a car like the Corolla is so profitable that Toyota can afford to put so much emphasis on the hybrid technology.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Will the new Corolla be longer then the old one, or about the same? I like the Honda Fit because it's 157" vs 178" of the Corolla and the Fit has more interior space. Easier to put in my garage.
    The only information that I have is for the JDM Corolla, which, according to reliable sources, WILL have different dimensions from the non-JDM Corolla. So what is written below is just a reference.

Using the information that I have, the next-gen JDM Corolla will be identical in length and width as the current generation, and the height will go down, but only by 10 mm. The wheelbase will remain unchanged as well.

The non-JDM Corolla will become WIDER than the current generation, but I have no data as to by how much. Also as to the length, I have no reliable information at this time.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Am I in a wrong forum or what!!!!!!!
    It's official now. The all-new Corolla (JDM body) will be released in Japan on October 10. Why October 10? Because it's the 10th generation Corolla. Seriously.

The next-gen Corolla liftback, the Auris, should also be released at the same time.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    So when will the next generation Corolla come out in the United States. I have heard that the Corolla will be delayed till late 07 as a 08 model
    Toyota has been extremely tight-lipped about the non-JDM Corolla in all aspects, including the release date. What we do know now is that there will be differently-sized sedan bodies for JDM and non-JDM (first ever in the history of Corolla), although no one seems to know for sure whether the difference is in the dimensions only, or also in the body style. There was a presentation in Japan by the executive chief engineer for the Corolla project earlier this month, but he said nothing specific about the NA Corolla.
    Do you believe Toyota will reveal the new Corolla at the 2007 Autoshow. Also people say that the Toyota Auris is supposed to be a concept model of what the Corolla may look like.
    Do you believe Toyota will reveal the new Corolla at the 2007 Autoshow

Possible. But I am not sure at which one.

Also people say that the Toyota Auris is supposed to be a concept model of what the Corolla may look like.

Yes, there have been suggestions that the Auris may possibly represent the shape of the non-JDM Corolla. The Auris is based on the next-gen Corolla platform, and in Japan it replaces the Corolla Runx liftback model. The Auris will definitely be available in Europe, and over there it may actually end up being named the Corolla. That leaves the Americas. I strongly doubt that Toyota will go only with the liftback body like the Auris' when it comes to the Americas. The Auris body may become available in NA either as a Corolla variant or a separate model, but is not likely to be THE Corolla. Woud the Corolla of the Americas look like the JDM Corolla, but with different body dimensions, or totally different from the JDM? No one outside of Toyota seems to know at this time. I will keep on checking.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Some people in Canada ( plant personnel ) and some dealers have actually seen the new Corolla as a ready for production vehicle. But Toyota is sure keeping a tight grip on information.

It's similar to the info on the engine specs of the new 5.7L Tundra. People have seen it and driven it but noone is letting anything leak out.
    Some people in Canada ( plant personnel ) and some dealers have actually seen the new Corolla as a ready for production vehicle.

Really? Geez, I wish some of them leaked a photo or two. Or at least we would like to know whether the NA Corolla looks like the JDM Corolla.

The main engine for the next-gen Corolla will be the newly developed 2ZR-FE 1.8L, with a 100kw (136 hp JIS) output and 175Nm torque. The fuel efficiency is expected to improve by 5%, despite the output increase over the previus 1ZZ-FE (which was an excellent engine, in my opinion). The 2ZR-FE will be widely used across the Toyota lineup.
    How come the current generation Corolla was never refreshed at all. Since the current Corolla came out in February 2002 as a 2003 model it has never been refreshed in it's five year existence.
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    It was refreshed for the 2005 model year, I believe, with a slightly different front grill. There may be other small changes, but that's the most noticable one.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. One of the main reasons why they haven't done much is because they haven't had to. Corolla sales are still very brisk. They are selling nearly as well as the Camry. A major makeover is expected for model year 2008.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is on the stand at the Paris auto show, and it looks really nice. It is a proper Corolla hatch, where the Matrix is quite a bit bigger than the Corolla sedan.

It would be really great if Toyota would bring the Auris here as a Corolla 5-door when the next model comes along.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Has anyone else found out information of when the new Corolla is being released. There are these mixed reports varying from spring 07 release, fall 07 release, and spring 08 release as a 09 model. As any found out which release date seems to be more accurate.
    It's absolutely early '08 as an '09 model. Other sites have members working in Cambridge who have provided this info.
    Actually, the Matrix is 6 inches shorter than the North American Corolla. It is a wider (just under 4 inches) and a couple inches taller. Because of the taller design it feels more spacious (head room is generous). The Auris is marginally smaller than the Matrix in all dimensions (wheelbase is the same for all 3 vehicles). That would make the Auris about 8 inches shorter than the current North American Corolla (2 inches shorter than the Matrix). However, it is wider by approx. 3 inches and taller by approx. 2 inches (compared to the Corolla but less wide and shorter than the Matrix). Heck, even the Yaris sedan is longer than the Auris. Kind of confusing.

I agree, it would be great to see Auris over here. Not sure which model it would fall under (it looks like a larger Yaris). Unlike the Yaris it doesn't have the center-mounted gauges (thankfully).
    well, and I am assuming if it were introduced here it would have the Corolla powertrain, given its size and probable weight. That's why I was thinking it would be a Corolla, not a Yaris. Remember, there already is a Yaris 5-door hatch, a smaller car than the Auris from what I can tell.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I hope you're right. The Auris is a nice looking car (inside and out). Right again, the Yaris hatch is approx. 6 inches shorter than the Auris (same the wheelbase). Very similar in width and height. I guess all they would have to do is stretch the Auris out a wee bit (longer than the Matrix) and call it Corolla wagon. Sounds good to me.
    Remember that the Auris is a direct replacement of the JDM Corolla Alex/Runx, and shares the platform of the next-gen Corolla, to be released in Japan in four days. It would definitely not be a Yaris. If Toyota had wanted to bring a 5-door Yaris, they could have easily given us what everyone else in the world is getting, just as nippononly has pointed out.
    this is the new Auris, ignoring the 5% show car stuff:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061003/FREE/61002018/1056/F- REE

I like the look a lot. Obviously, they are counting on this model big-time in Europe, but I see no reason they couldn't produce it on the Ontario, Canada line as well and sell it here.

This Japanese page gives you a little more sedate presentation of the Auris. These pics got fished out of the JDM catalog.

http://auris.jugem.jp/
    And from the official Toyota (Japan) website:

http://toyota.jp/auris/

If you are prompted for a password, you cannot get it (the password is being given to only people who visit the Toyota Netz dealerships in Japan).
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...in my humble opinion is a preview of the upcoming replacement for the Toyota Matrix. Stretch the Auris a bit so it looks like a wagon and this probably IS the new Matrix wagon. :)

As for the new Corolla sedan, note that North American-market Corollas--especially the current model--look quite a bit different than the Corollas sold in Japan (neé eastern Asia) and Europe. In fact, I expect a very distinct body design for the new Corolla sedan, and also an increase in power to as high as 140 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) to better compete against the current Honda Civic sedan and the new 2007 Nissan Sentra sedan.
    The all-new Corolla has just been released in Japan. They are calling the sedan body "Corolla Axio" (Axio = quality in Greek). Here is a little photo gallery:

http://www.drivingfuture.com/auto/toyota/u3eqp3000001iydg.php

The station wagon body continues with the name of "Corolla Fielder."

As noted in this thread, Toyota plans to release a different Corolla body in non-Japanese markets.

The notable features of the JDM Corolla include:

*All automatic transmissions are CVT
    *All trim levels come standard with a backup camera and a 5.8" monitor
    *Some trim levels come standard with radar-controlled pre-crash safety system
    *Optional intelligent parking assist (hands-off parking)
    *Optional radar cruise control (adjusts speed automatically depending upon distance from the car in front)

As some of you can probably see, Toyota is bringing into this generation JDM Corolla the kinds of equipment that were previously available only in the likes of JDM Toyota Crown, Lexus and Prius.

Toyota's monthly sales goal for the new JDM Corolla is 12,000 units.
    Wow.. lots of those options, if put in the NA Corolla, would skip the Camry line entirely.

It appears that Japan and Europe may get much different 'values' and therefore pricing than we in NA. Is the JDM Corolla intended for the beginning driver ( high school or college ) or for the young professional who wants something upscale but efficient?

The features we get will be decided by the market to which the vehicle is directed. The most common buyer here is looking for something safe, dependable, efficient and reliable. It's the preeminent 'daughter-off-to-college' vehicle.
    When do you believe we will see pictures of what the new 2008 Corolla will look like. Also will it look anything like the one Japan just released
    Is the JDM Corolla intended for the beginning driver ( high school or college ) or for the young professional who wants something upscale but efficient?

The JDM Corolla is segmented just above the Vitz/Belta (Yaris) line. As to whom it is intended, the Corolla is truly intended for everyone in Japan who appreciates value, efficiency, and, well, a lack of excitement (that's a big percentage of the Japanese population).

The value you really get out of this 10th generation Corolla, though. The top of the line trim, loaded with everything including the rear camera and monitor, radar cruise control, radar pre-crash safety system, intelligent parking assist, HID headlights plus a 7-speed mode CVT, checks in at slightly under US $19,500 MSRP at today's exchange rate. About the only option remaining is the navigation system. You'd normally have to get a Lexus to get all this equipment, and the JDM Corolla (albeit the top trim only) can give it to you for under $20,000 if you are in Japan.
    It's absolutely early '08 as an '09 model. Other sites have members working in Cambridge who have provided this info.

This has been confirmed by a recent Nikkei article. The next-gen NA Corolla will be released in calendar-year 2008. The article says that Toyota initially intended the release to be in 2007, but changed its mind due to the recent quality issue that the company has been hit with (recalls). In Europe, however, the new Corolla will be released in 2007.
    Toyota said over the summer they were delaying the next-gen NA Corolla a year so originally it was probably due out it in February 2007 as an 2008 model but now it will come out probably in February 2008 as an 2009 model. Also does anyone have any idea when we will see some photos of the next-gen NA Corolla.
  • pradoprado Member Posts: 8
    You can navigate thru Toyota Japan website for photos of new gen. corolla:

http://toyota.jp/corollaaxio/exterior/garally/index.html

Also check out custom kits by Modellista & Ken:

http://toyota.jp/customize/corollaax...sta/index.html
    http://toyota.jp/customize/corollaax...yle/index.html
    Except this is not the model that we will get here in the US. On another site one of the participants in Toyota's annual dealer meeting reported on all the new vehicles, including the new Corolla.

As opposed to the other models which were sketches or clay models or body kits with no engines, the '09 Corolla was driven on stage. It's done. It's just waiting.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    As opposed to the other models which were sketches or clay models or body kits with no engines, the '09 Corolla was driven on stage. It's done. It's just waiting.

I don't buy it. Why would they just have it sit around for another 15 or so months if it's all done? And don't bring up the Tundra again. Toyota has proven this past year that they have no problem releasing major redesigns and entirely new models within weeks of each other.

IMO - the Corolla team has gone back partially to the drawing board to address some items in particular that they believe perhaps didn't compete favorably enough against the Civic and new Elantra. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    While your view is valid, a company doesn't just trot out the next version of a vehicle to it's key players the owner/dealers and tell them this is it and then change it.

Now they may be adding some things, upscale options like a Navi or CVT or a coupe or a revised hatch to look like the new Auris but the sedan is done.

Look at a Yaris and then a Camry and imagine a vehicle in the middle of the two.
    Except this is not the model that we will get here in the US. On another site one of the participants in Toyota's annual dealer meeting reported on all the new vehicles, including the new Corolla.

I've heard that the next-generation North American-market Corolla will look a lot like an enlarged version of the 2007 Yaris sedan. Can you confirm that?

By the way, I'm glad the Corollas unveiled in Japan a few days aren't coming to the US market. They are so bland-looking that nobody in the USA will want to buy them, especially compared to the current Honda Civic, the current Mazda3, and the new 2007 Nissan Sentra.

I think it's likely that Toyota will use a CVT automatic for the NA-market Corolla, especially now that Nissan is offering the JATCO CVT on the Sentra.
    I wish that Toyota would make a 4dr hatch version of the Corolla here in the US. Even the 4dr Yaris isn't a hatch. I just wish Toyota made a true 4dr hatch competitor to the Fit & Versa.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    By the way, I'm glad the Corollas unveiled in Japan a few days aren't coming to the US market. They are so bland-looking that nobody in the USA will want to buy them

You've got to be joking. Many people (even pro-Corolla people) claim that the Corolla is and has always been one of the blandest looking cars on the road, yet the sales numbers in the U.S. have always been ridiculously high despite this perception. As long as its FE remains among the highest of any car in any class, and its dependability remains strong, sales numbers will never be a problem in the U.S. or any other part of the world.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I know the Matrix is not in the same class, but it still matches the mpg of the Versa (30/36) - with quite a bit more room.
    I drove the Matrix and the instrument panel was so hard to read during the day with the deeply recessed gauges and red/orange lighting...I couldn't even see the line on the speedo to know how fast I was driving. I wish they just took the dash from the corolla and put it in the matrix!
    Many people (even pro-Corolla people) claim that the Corolla is and has always been one of the blandest looking cars on the road, yet the sales numbers in the U.S. have always been ridiculously high despite this perception. As long as its FE remains among the highest of any car in any class, and its dependability remains strong, sales numbers will never be a problem in the U.S. or any other part of the world.

I could not agree with you more. If one held that the bland-looking next-gen Corolla would be a flop in the US, then one would also have to hold that the current generation is not bland-looking since the sales of the current Corolla have been very strong. Car styling is a subjective matter, of course. But the current-gen Corolla is one bland-looking car, and that has not been a problem in selling it.

The Corolla sells because of its combination of reliability, quality of build and finish, fuel economy, AND the bland styling that excites (or offends) no one. So I go so far as to say that the Corolla sells not inspite of its bland styling, but rather, at least partly, because of it.
    Yes you are correct, this is the very essence of Corolla's sales. It's a huge attraction to a huge segment of the population here in the US.

The numbers don't lie. It's 5 years old and they removed the incentives and sales continued to rise. That's incredible and it's a huge money making machine for Toyota - and the retail outlets.
    Many people (even pro-Corolla people) claim that the Corolla is and has always been one of the blandest looking cars on the road, yet the sales numbers in the U.S. have always been ridiculously high despite this perception.

Actually, the body style of the current Corolla sold in the USA is pretty good--it looks like a reduced-sized version of the previous-generation Camry sedan. If the new Corolla sedan looks like a larger version of the Toyota Yaris sedan, then I think it'll sell pretty well. :)
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    As long as it gets better than a 4 speed auto and doesn't have a center mounted IP!

Yaris looks cool, but I don't want a 4AT or especially a center mounted IP! The current Corolla is decent on every level but excitement in styling and 4AT. Yaris looks nice (as do xA and xB) but the 4AT is yester-tech and the center IP would make me turn down any vehicle.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    Actually, I fell in love with the Yaris EXCEPT for the (1) crappy, hard-plastic interior and (2) that stupid, annoying, inconvenient center-mounted IP.

Driving the Yaris, I found it quiet, peppy, tight, and comfortable.

But the aesthetic factor leaves me wanting a LOT more, so I wait to see what happens to the new Corolla.
    As long as it gets better than a 4 speed auto and doesn't have a center mounted IP!

I've heard the next-generation Corolla for the US market may switch to a CVT automatic, just like the new Corollas just released in Japan. And I don't think Toyota will use a center-mounted instrument panel on the Corolla, either.
    You are right the Yaris has a cheap interior that came from the echo. The echo had that same cheap interior. Don't buy a yaris wait and see what the new corolla looks like even though it will be at least a year till they release it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The ECHO had a different interior than the Yaris, although both have the center-mounted gauges.
    the Echo did technically have a different interior from the Yaris, there is precious little in that difference. In the newer model there is still hard plastic everywhere (talking the sedan now, the liftback is nicer inside), some with slightly better texture however.

The suspension is WORLDS different, OTOH. Chassis-wise, it's a much improved model.

No way Toyota sticks with a 4AT in the next-gen Corolla, no way. It won't allow itself to fall that far behind Honda, and in fact Honda's use of the 5-speed auto in the brand new CRV means Toyota will probably be making a 5AT standard in the 4-cyl RAV4 by next year or the one after at the latest.

I would be surprised if they use the CVT in the U.S. Despite all the publicized advantages of a CVT over a traditional auto, they haven't been very popular here - just look at sales of the Nissan models that have had them, in comparison to other vehicles in each segment. I bet Toyota makes a 5-speed the optional auto. I would love to see them make a 6-speed manual the standard transmission, but I won't hold my breath. It IS Toyota, after all... :sick:

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Almost all new models under $20k have "hard plastic everywhere" these days. The Yaris has a different dash (the center stack is particularly different), different steering wheel, different headliner with nicer sun visors, different seats with different cloth, more convenience features such as height adjuster and available rear center arm rest in the sedan, different color choices (e.g. black), different safety equipment (three headrests in back and available curtain airbags), different cupholder arrangement, different door panels--in other words, everything about the Yaris' interior is different from the ECHO except the center placement of the gauges.

Actually, the suspensions of the Yaris and ECHO are much more alike than their interiors. Both use MacPherson struts up front and a semi-independent beam suspension (vs. a fully independent suspension). The longer wheelbase on the Yaris probably has a lot to do with the better ride vs. the ECHO.

Maybe the new Corolla will step up to meet competitors in the suspension department and get a fully independent rear suspension vs. the low-bucks beam suspension. Don't hold your breath for a 6-speed auto tranny in the Corolla--they don't offer such a transmission in any other I4 car sold in the U.S., not even the Camry, so why would they do it in the Corolla? A 5AT is a possibility but I agree it will probably be an option, or maybe standard on the LE, with a 4AT the base automatic--kind of like they did a few years ago when a 3AT was the base automatic and a 4AT was extra cost.