Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the very silly cladding is bolt on, bolt off.

I wouldn't mind THAT being optional for '06 on. They make it a package with foglamps and such on the Matrix.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• thefafthefaf Member Posts: 12
    I've been wondering why Toyota offers Stability Control only on automatic equipped Corolla's. VSC is the best safety advancement since seat belts. It helps you avoid an accident, instead of helping you survive one. I'm hoping Toyota will let us manual shift types get VSC in the 2006 Corolla and Matrix. Or I could get a Scion xB, (VSC standard)
    VSC being an option on all '06 Corollas, but i don't feel it is that important on a little car with such a low center of gravity.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    How extensive will exterior changes be for the 2006? I know 2006 was supposed to be the year for a mid-cycle refresh, but the 2005 had quite a few changes itself.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The Corolla only got some shiny stuff around the grille, some new taillights and a price hike for '05. I just hope that the prices for the Corolla don't go much higher.....
    the '06 gets a new face that mimics the new Avalon/Camry a bit, but in a smaller version. I am equally sure we will see no powertrain mods, and we will see some content shuffling and a healthy price bump (with more standard equipment). That is what they have done with every other mid-cycle refresh in Corolla history. The exception was that in 2000 they dumped the 3-speed automatic on the lowest trim level, but that was because it was hopelessly outdated, and too cheap for a Corolla in the first place.

One thing they MIGHT do is cancel the XRS if it has been selling horribly, but I sure hope not.

• toyfan30toyfan30 Member Posts: 1
    I have always wondered, what is the down side of increasing your horsepower in your corolla? I thought I read somewhere opinions that Toyota engines were practically indestructible...unless you try and increase horsepower, then the engine has a tendency to break down faster (something about paper thin engine block walls :) ) Anyone have any experience either good or bad? :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Your best bet is to visit our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board for questions like that.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    When will the 2006's be available?
    August.

• chestnutchestnut Member Posts: 19
    Do you think they will make ABS and side air bags standard to match the Civic?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thats my guess, as the 2006 Camry isnt going to have them standard. When the redesign (MY 07) debuts in Feb/Mar 2006, the Camry will likely have side curtains standard. My point: the Corolla isnt going to get the curtains standard prior to the Camry doing so.

~alpha
    go halfway though, and make SAB standard, but not the curtains. Everyone from Honda to Hyundai has side airbags standard these days, and Toyota likes to maintain its safety image. Remember that the Corolla WITH SAB is tied for first place in side impact safety right now - wouldn't want to lose a very juicy and advertisable edge like that!

They might make ABS standard too, although here I have my doubts. I don't see any evidence of a big push by Toyota on the ABS front.

In checking the online inventory at my local Toyota dealer only a small percentage of the Corolla's had the optional side airbags. I am kind of surprised that they don't play the safety angle up more or that there is not a big demand for the side air bags.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    It's a double edged sword. Some people request them, but the greater majority aren't willing to spend the couple of hundred dollars for them as an option. With that being the case, Toyota doesn't build a great number of them with them installed. The same was the case with vehicles with optional ABS, and back in the day, airbags.

Ken
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hello, i am thinking of installing an aftermarket cassette player on my 05corolla. the cassette player costs about $$30. but i dont have any idea how much it is to install at some audio store or something, any body have any clue, i am hoping its under 20 bucks for installing.
    thanks- Tiger10
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi tiger10,
    This discussion is about the possibility of a re-designed Corolla. Your best bet is to visit our discussion called Toyota Corolla Owners: Accessories & Modifications and get help from others who have experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    The Donlen Toyota page hs 2006 Corolla initial production 7/05 and initial delivery 8/05.

If this is true, shouldn't we have some information by now? With some changes last year perhaps there will be no furthur changes until the 2008 redesign.

I like the looks of the Corolla a lot better than the pics of the 2006 Civic that have recently surfaced, although I'll have to see the Civic in person. However, the 140hp 1.8 the Civic will have with the 5 speed auto would probably have better acceleration and economy than the 130hp 1.8 with 4 speed auto in the Corolla.

With all the new features the Civic will get, it seems it will out class the Corolla. I would think Toyota would add some features to the Corolla now to keep it closer to the Civic rather than wait 2 more years for the 2008 models.

Hopefully some information will become available soon if the Donlen information is correct.
    Can afford to let the Corolla sit for a couple of years. The new Civic, although probably much more technologically advanced, is an ugly little duck, and if that won't hurt sales, I don't know what will. Also, the XRS version of the Corolla has really been popular around where I live. I guess they were tired of waiting around for the new Civic.
    (two of them) haven't had a single Corolla on the lot in more than a week. The only thing I can think of is they must have cleared out the '05s because they expect the updated '06s to arrive any time now.

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That's not unusual. We've been down to between 0 and 5 Corollas for the past 6 weeks. We usually have around 35-40 this time of year, just that they're selling so quickly, we're selling most as they get allocated to us. And trust me, we're not discounting them down to nothing as well. It's been strange this summer. No Corolla's, Highlanders(normal, not just Hybrid), Camry's have been short supply, and Trucks have been hard to keep in stock as well. This is all 8 weeks after we had to use a parking lot across the street that will be for a restaurant that isn't done yet so we had room to park things. Now we have 1/3 of our lot empty.

Ken
    There was a forum in N&V that had sales numbers for all makes and models. Apparently, the Corolla is beginning to sell more monthly than the Accord. Fairly odd.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is Toyota corporate piling on the incentives? Could be that people are responding to the Domestic Employee Pricing deals and rushing new car purchases and decide that they want a Toyota instead of a Chevrolet or Ford.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    If this is the new Corolla theyre bringing , then theres no reason for me to get exited.
    http://toyota.jp/corollasedan/exterior/index2.html

They should bring this as the new Corolla
    http://toyota.jp/allion/exterior/index2.html

And this as the hatchback version wouldnt do if they want to challenge the Mazda 3 hatchback.
    http://toyota.jp/corollarunx/exterior/garally/index.html

How about a hatchback version of the Wish instead? Modify the rear end so that it will look more sporty.
    http://toyota.jp/wish/exterior/garally/index.html
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    I had a 03 corolla, and sold it for the Rav4, 05 model, and I'm not very happy with the gas price, and a few other nick picking on the SUV, so I will be buying the 06 corolla as soon as they come out. If the pictures that are shown, are what it will look like, than I will be a happy camper.
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    So do we have a consensus as per when the new Corolla will be coming out. If it is coming out in August, how can there be NO spy pictures of it.

Is Toyota that good at hiding their new models?
    Its not really a "New" Corolla. There may be some changes to equipment, a few detail styling revisions (although that occurred for 2005..), slight power changes to the engine (plus revision of power/torque numbers due to the SAE's new method), but don't expect anything major just yet.

~alpha
    this won't be a major reveal, '06s will just start dropping onto dealer lots in three or four weeks.

I hope if they do any more restyling, they keep the taillights. I like them, and plus they shame copycat new Jettas! :-P

On the other hand, the current car could afford to have some more visual trickery on the sides to disguise its tallness - it looks slab-sided. The Mazda3 is just as tall, but has a body-color rub strip halfway up the doors which breaks up the expanse nicely.

All of the cars my local dealers are receiving now have the optional side curtain airbags. Same is true for Camry. I wonder if they will make them standard for '06 Corollas.

On one site, it indicated that the new 06 corolla's will be refreshed in styling for 2006, what ever that means. The photo link above looks as if it has the refresh styling look to the exterior, and interior, so it might be right on, but not 100% sure of this. E-mailed a dealership nearby, but they to have no word on the date the 06 will arrive or they are just keeping it to the vest, so to sell what is left of the 05's. Wish someone would know for sure. I like to buy a refreshed 06 and not keep my Rav4 anylonger.... :(
    My local Toyota dealer (Kendall Toyota) is listing 46 2006 Corolla LE's in its future inventory and when I check the accessory list none of them show side air bags. Either it is an unpopular option at that dealer or they made it standard equipment.
    Did you learn if the 06 model will have some changes or refreshed as in the photo link above ? Or is it just the same carry over from the 05's ?

">link titlehttp://toyota.jp/corollasedan/exterior/index2.html
    The photo at the site is the same as the 2005 but I doubt the web designer changed it. It list the first arrival dates as 8/17.
    Thanks chestnut for the reply.....I'm abit confused.....If its the same as the 05, why is the tail light and headlights different and the intererior looks somewhat different on the link I provide ? The wood grain highlight inside is different on the link photo and the electronic map is added that I do not see with the 05 model.
    I meant the dealer inventory site (kendalltoyota only noticed the side view which looked the same to me) I am sure there will be changes to the 06 I was mainly curious to see if there was changes in the options since there has been no official info yet
    Thanks for the clarification chestnut. I really hope that it will look like the link I gave you and not just the same 05. Had the 03 model and now want something just a little better looking inside and out. This way I can wait for the 08 change that is instore for us or maybe wait until 09.
    to the 2006 Corolla, which I suspected given the detail revisions made to the 2005 models.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20050729a

~alpha
  • joshscarjoshscar Member Posts: 4
    I totally agree with you about the new Jetta Taillights copying the Corolla's. When i first saw the new Jetta from the rear, I thought I was a Corolla! Makes me feel good that I bought a car whose features are being imitated.

Josh :)
    Just got the 06 catalog and I see no change of any kind. They are providing the electronic map and rear bumper camera, but thats it. Everything else looks the same as the 05 and I thought they were going to refresh the darn thing with different head lights and tail lights. Unless the dealership got the wrong catalog that says 06 on it. I am disappointed to say the lease.

The new 2008 model in the Motor Trend Mag shows a new design that is different, but for me thats something not to write home to mother about.
    Just looked over the new 2006 catalog again and noticed that there is nothing mentioned about a Nav system or camera for the backing up of the vehical, that the dealership stated that would be installed by the manufacture, so I am wondering if this catalog is wrong, and the new 06 do in fact have a newer refreshed tail light and head light look. Every artical states that the new 06 will have a refresh look with the tail lights and headlights and the link provided shows this, so I believe the information in the catalog is a screw up and I'm actually looking at the 05's

It also shows that the power output is less for the 06 by 4 horse power, over the 05's. I guess I'm just venting right now and have nothing else to do but complain. :cry:
  • serge79serge79 Member Posts: 10
    I just went to the Canadian website of Toyota and nothing has changed for the 2006 Corolla... nothing, only the price has gone up a bit, but that's it. They also got new 2006 Corollas at the local dealership and nothing has changed on the exterior of the car. Like everyone else I'm dissapointed as I was expecting to
    trade-in my 2002 Mazda Protege. :(
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    The 2006 Toyota Corolla seems to have less horsepower but that is because of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Horsepower. I think most vehicles to be sold after a year change would have new numbers for horsepower.
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=384913: shows new horsepower rating for their Acuras and most hav lower numbers. I think it is nothing to worry about when u see the Corolla havin less power.

For the 2006 model year, all Acura horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into effect in January of 2005.
    I think this change will be the same for Toyota.
  • sdjoshsdjosh Member Posts: 20
    I just saw the official Toyota sight and also could not find any changes. After reading some of you earlier posts in this column I thought "Okay, no fun changes, but I'm sure they will have at least made common sense safety features like ABS and Side Airbags standard". It doesn't appear so thus far, which is confusing because for one, consumers expect increases in safety, and two- I thought Toyota would work a little harder in general to compete with the 06 civic.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but this marks the first moment I have really started considering the new Civic. Any thoughts?
    From everything I have read over the last few months, and some photos to prove it, that the new 2006 would have a refresh look to it, but low, and behold, not one little bit. Even the car dealership said it would have the NAV system included, but no, not even that. The only ones who got the improvement was Japan and their customers, not the USA or anyone else. Thank you soooooo much Japan, and Toyota for leaving us out. Another year without a refresh look. Guess they are cheap jackasses :mad: and don't care about a simple change before a big designe change in 08. What a let down. Now, I'll look at the new Civic instead or maybe a good American care can be found.
  • sdjoshsdjosh Member Posts: 20
    I agree, and am trying to be rational about it. Let's face it, it's ridiculous to get hyped-up about these kinds of things. I find myself in the minority as an "economy sedan enthusiast", given that most people are excited about horsepower, looks, and trends. Let's leave that to the Mustang or Hummer crowd. But I hold firm that consumers deserve an inexpensive, safe vehicle, with features that make sense. Corolla's rate poorly without side curtain airbags- why not make them standard? Or ABS? Everyone has an Ipod, why not add a simple aux jack to the stereo? I don't expect perfection, I just desire the slightest hint at keeping pace with the times. I have heard varied opinions about the new Civic spy shots, but I think the Civic will appeal to people for both practical and impractical reasons.

Or... is Toyota's Corolla design stagnation itself designed to get our demographic into a Prius? Hmmmm...

Oh well. Regardless, those of us waiting to buy the right car in 06 will have our needs met one way or another. Happy hunting!
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    If the Corolla's power is down by 6 hp, that means it has just 124hp? This is not really less power, it would still have the exact same power as the 03-05s, just rated differently. The 2006 Civic will have 140hp (calculated to the new SAE specs), with the same 1.8 liters and very similar economy. A 16hp difference is pretty big, especially considering the Civic will get a 5 speed auto vs the Corolla's 4 speed.

I was hoping that the Corolla would get some improvements to better compete with the 06 Civic, as the local dealerships have Corolla S at 15K vs the Civic EX (05) at 18K, when similarly equipped. For some reason my local Toyota dealer has deals, while the Honda dealer always seems to want MSRP.

I am some what of an "Economy car enthusiast" as well. I don't need a big SUV or a big sedan. But just because I want a small car doesn't mean I want cheap. I want a nice car, with all of the features of bigger cars, just smaller since I don't need the space. That is why a lot of the european models interest me, they are small cars, yet they are very advanced and have the latest technology. I guess that is a symptom of $5/gal gasoline, which we will soon face as well.
    Or, here is one for ya......Perhaps Toyota is not planning on another year ( 07 ) with the same style corolla, and will jump into the new restyle to compete with the new civic that is coming out very soon, and did not want to refresh the 06's.... Just a wild thought that I have no knowledge of.....
    so it is true, I went and looked and the '06 is identical to the '05. No standard side or curtain airbags, no restyling, and the power is down slightly under the new uniform SAE standards for measuring engine output.

You watch, 2006 will be the calendar year that Civic outsells Corolla. And then in March '07, Toyota will introduce the all-new '08 Corolla, and might get itself back on top of the compact car sales charts by the end of that year.

that although the Corolla's engine has lost 4 hp (down to 126), it will still accelerate the vehicle the same... no changes have been made and the car hasnt actually LOST power. The Corolla in its current form is pretty darn quick for the class, posting a 0-60 time of 8.2 seconds according to Car and Driver (5M, Nov 2002 issue). Using the more realistic 5-60 Street Start, the acceleration that real folks would achieve by simply nailing the accelerator and shifting at redline, the time is still a spry 8.4 seconds.

~alpha
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    Agreed!
    I for one, will be looking at the new 06 Civic soon just because Toyota did not want to refresh the 06 Corollas. They did refresh it for the Japanese market though. Nice going Toyota. I think you just lost one customer for not caring :mad: