Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    There is no way Toyota will bring that wagon to the U.S. It makes far too much sense for our market.

Anybody caught driving something sensible like a wagon (instead of an SUV/Crossover/CUV/ABC...) will be instantly labelled a cheapskate and will be outcast from the community. ;) :shades:
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is probably the most detailed and definitive description of what the new Corolla will be. I do believe that it describes the JDM version so it's not sure we will see all of the features ( the NA market still wants this to be a cheapo-econobox ) but there's hope that at least the top trim level will have most of the features.

The 1.8L 2ZR-FE has been noted elsewhere by persons involved at the plant level. CVT?? Hmmmm.

Navi with the SKS and an Auris-like leather interior would make the top trim a killer in this market. $21500-$22000?? All with 35-37 mpg Fuel Economy.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I do believe that it describes the JDM version so it's not sure we will see all of the features ( the NA market still wants this to be a cheapo-econobox ) but there's hope that at least the top trim level will have most of the features.

Your observation is good. A lot of the JDM features, in fact most all, will not be available in the U.S. This, by the way, is typical of most Japanese cars anyway. What Toyota is very afraid of is for the Corolla to cannibalize the Camry (the reverse is just fine with them). If they are going to make those cool features available in the U.S. market, they will first put those in the Camry, so that U.S. customers will have to cough up more $ to get them than the Corolla.

Many people in Japan never drive anything larger than the Corolla, and so it becomes important for auto manufacturers to equip smaller cars with advanced features. Toyota is experimenting with the 10th generation JDM Corolla to see whether a set of really high-end features (e.g., radar cruise control), will be acceptable to customers in this segment.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I hate when people post stuff like that as fact without showing the source of where the copied the info.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I would love it if the corolla got a sport model look like the camry SE! Give it a 5AT, bose audio, lip spoiler, flint mica, and a sunroof from the tC!!! I'm IN LOVE!! But chances are nill...

Doesn't the current corolla in LE trim offer leather seats? I've seen quite a few of them but they were locked and couldn't test them.

Also Vinyl seats are actually pretty cheap and are hard for the average person to tell from leather. VW and BMW give them a heat option too so I don't see why the corolla can't get them!

Since the scions get Navigation now, it should be safe to assume the corolla may get it also. Hopefully with a bose audio system!

-Cj
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Usually in june 2007 the car companies released the the box as 2008 model. What is happening with corolla???
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The main change is the updated EPA numbers (28/37).

You might think that it could slow sales, but Corolla easily outsold Civic, which set a record last month, and for all of those people who ask "When are the 2008's coming?", we have a car for you! :)

DrFill
    So, the redesigned all-new 2009 model should be out in less than a year since the 2008 is the same as a 2007.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    From what everyone is saying the redesigned corolla should come out early spring of 2008 as a 2009 model.

Toyota will probably showcase it at the North American International AutoShow in Detroit which is in January.

That is my best guess because Toyota also will come out with a Matrix replacement at the same time that will compete against the Mazda 3 five door model. It is rumored the matrix replacement will be called the BLADE.
  • windandwolfwindandwolf Member Posts: 1
    The 10th gen is selling in China now. Here are the pictures... resembles Camry well.

Ditto in Europe. I do like the mini-Camry styling. It moves the looks anyway from 'econo-box' to small sedan. The ride and position of the seats will be the next variable. The engines are little changed just more efficient.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Thanks for the pictures.
    That is the same car as in these photos of the Japanese Corolla that debuted back in 2006:

The US Corolla might be different.
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    Jaxs1, this ia a link with pics and information on Corolla 2008:

2008 Corolla
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The new Corolla models feature a new 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine and Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) transmission developed as the main powertrain for compact and medium-class vehicles....

Both the 1.8-liter and 1.5-liter engines are combined with a newly developed Super CVT-i transmission for smooth cruising and linear acceleration without shift shock, as well as for a quiet ride and improved fuel efficiency."

The way I'm reading this, the CVT will be the ONLY transmission offered in the new Corolla. Does anyone know if a manual transmission will be offered, at all, or is it sayonara to the clutch?
    In the 2009 Corolla, with 128HP, probably with a more efficient gearing. ;)

DrFill
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    a wagon with the 1.5 and stick would put you in the town's hall of shame
    How so? :confuse:

And where did I talk about a 1.5 liter engine. :confuse:
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i just went to both websites posted;

i think the EXTREME close ups of the door locks was a bit too much, but the car looks good!

Although, some angles TOTALLY looked like the current gen t was stretched out from the sides to look the way it does. A sort of uncomfortable familiarity i guess.

With regards to what will be offered on the corolla, i'm sorry but there is NO WAY that half of that stuff listed will even be offered in the corolla; at least not without jacking the price up to past even what a new civic costs. Parking with the gas and brake pedal with steering done for you? Does the camry or any other american toyota even have that? :blush:

still, the car looks nice, the steering wheel looks nice and comfy!
    For we North Americans our primary autos are the midsized sedans. This is where we choose to spend our money. This segment is where we choose to add options and niceties. For much of the rest of the world due to population, road dimensions, fuel cost, taxes and other factors the Corolla-sized vehicle is the primary one.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Toyota already offers such a vehicle, albeit with a supercharger instead of a turbo. It's called a Scion tC.
    ;)
    Mack
    I love the TC and all but i booted it lower in my list once i saw and payed attention to the materials. Theres nothing wrong with it at all but it needs too drop A LOT of weight and gain some MPG!

That corolla in the pictures (posted) look like the current car but evolved :surprise: . I hope that the corolla keeps the 1.8l I4 but with a 5/6AT for better highway MPG. They should put that tranny in a tC too!

-Cj
    true, and thats exactly my point; while it may be offered in a very high level trim in another country, most of those 'niceties' wont make it on the u.s. version.
    I hope that the corolla keeps the 1.8l I4 but with a 5/6AT for better highway MPG.

Actually, you don't need a 5/6AT if the only thing that you are trying to achieve is a better highay MPG. In a 4AT, you can just set the fourth grear ratio very high, and that takes care of that. What more gears do is to reduce the size of the steps between gears for the car to drive more smoothly. Yes, that can and does also mean a more efficient use of the engine, but when it comes to a highway mileage improvement and that alone, a 4AT with an extremely high final gear ratio can achieve it.

Of course a car like that would require a lot of "kickdowns" to accelerate, and would not be as smooth. And a lower speed MPG may also suffer.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Well as expected the 2008 Matrix came out alongside the 2008 Corolla. Which means the redesigned Matrix and Corolla will comeout probably in February or March of 2008 as 2009 models.
  • tdiaz339tdiaz339 Member Posts: 10
    No! It didn't come out, one year of the Corolla!!!!!!!!!

I am so upset, I really was looking forward to the new '08 Corolla, from an anyonymous source, expect to see the '09 Corolla debut at LA Auto Show in December of this year, the '09 model will come out spring of '08 (probably April) as an '09 model.

http://www.toyota.com/corolla/index.html?s_van=GM_TN_COROLLA_INDEX

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007060472508
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    of Toyota to continue with one of the market's sole compact entries lacking SAB/SAC as standard equipment. It's pretty pathetic. To me, given that so many others from Elantra to Civic to Sentra, etc... offer this standard, this Corolla is one of the least desirable, and dare I say - least safe -compacts on the market.

For shame.

~alpha
    I am completely in favor of the safety devices, and expect the next-generation Corolla to be fully equipped with the standard SAB/SAC and other safety pieces.

You have to understand, though, that the current iteration of the Corolla is an aging design, based on the 9th generation that was originally released in Japan in 2000, whereas those other cars you mention, Elantra, Civic, and Sentra, are all new designs. The truly fair comparison at this point in time would be to ask a question of what Hyundai, Honda, and Nissan were doing with the safety equipment in the prior iteration of the respective models. They weren't doing much better, if at all, with their former iterations.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai has offered side airbags standard on all their vehicles sold in the U.S. for nearly five years now--dating to their previous-generation Elantra, Accent, Sonata, etc.

It is interesting to me as to why Toyota didn't simply make SABs/SACs standard on the Corolla a few years ago, after the IIHS tests came out (in 2004 I think) showing their value. They are an option, so it's not like they don't know how to do it.
    the civic and elantra did do it better, even in the previous generation, they offered a lot of standard safety features.

It just sucks that for one more year, we gotta deal with this old corolla. I really pity anyone who buys this car as an 08 instead of a civic/elantra/sentra.
    I mean, its still a solid entry in the class, and along with the Civic, posts some of the best MPG of any compact, which I'm sure is helping to fuel sales.

My issue is that there is no reason why SAB/SAC shouldn't be standard. It's MY 2008, for Pete's sake.

FWIW, eldaino, the last generation Elantra certainly wasn't a poster child for safety either, going several years with an IIHS rating of POOR, requiring several revisions to finally earning a GOOD in frontal offset, and earning a POOR for side impacts, even with a head/chest combo bag....

The last generation (read: '01 up through '05) Civic never offered more than a chest-protecting only side airbag.

Still, jacksan, and no disrespect to you - the whole "what did competitors do with their previous generation" is a LAME excuse for Toyota. Who cares about the previous generation? I'm talking about 2008 cars now, and its not acceptable that SAB/SAC isn't standard.

What is particularly interesting to me is that the Corolla was the first vehicle in this class to offer any type of supplimental side impact protection - in the form of a chest-only seat mounted airbag - in 1998.

~alpha
    Is it fair to criticize a car for crash test results when the crash tests had not even been designed when the car was designed? How many small cars with torso side bags (not curtains) received better than "Poor" in the IIHS side impact test when it was first run on small cars, I think in 2004? The Corolla got Acceptable with its optional SABs and SACs. I think there was only one other small car that got better than Poor, when it was equipped with optional side curtains.

Maybe the reason Toyota doesn't add side bags/curtains as standard to the Corolla is that lots of people buy Corollas without them. Perhaps to these people, a lower price is more important than this safety feature. Hard to fathom, but could be true.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The Matrix I just bought doesn't have SAC/SAB. I wouldn't have minded paying a bit extra for them, but they certainly were not a make or break feature for me. I would suspect that for many Corolla buyers the same is true. These cars are not the family minivan, they are probably more often than not doing duty as a solo-occupant commute car.

I think Toyota would be wise to make side bags and curtains standard on the next Corolla only because the market has rushed to standardize them, not because I think they are particularly worth the $300-500 they probably jack up the price of the car.

(And yes, I am aware of the crash test results out there, I just think we have reached the point of diminishing returns when it comes to safety gear. Already we have this mandate coming from the IIHS to make VSC standard, and that is going to jack up the cost of cars and trucks too)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

FWIW, the IIHS doesn't make safety mandates. The mandate for standard stability control came from the Federal government.
    Correct of course. The IIHS pressures vehicle makers through the press and other media venues and through weight of public opinion/perception. It can't mandate anything to the public.
    "Is it fair to criticize a car for crash test results when the crash tests had not even been designed when the car was designed?"

I understand your point, but the newness of the testing at that point in time does not invalidate comparisons. My statements re: the Elantra and Civic were made in reference to a point made by eldaino that those vehicles "have been doing it [ostensibly, safety] better". I simply argue/disagree with that.

Certainly, the new Civic is very impressive in its tests, due in part to a strong safety cage, and advanced/curtain airbags.

Nippononly- FWIW, when Toyota made SAB/SAC standard on the Camry for '07 MY, the price did not increase when comparing comparably equipped models.

I still feel that vehicles in '08 should have SAB/SAC standard, and I am still disappointed that Toyota fails to offer this on the Yaris, Corolla, and Matrix alone.

~alpha
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Oh yes, of course, I knew it was NHTSA mandating the stability control, I don't know why I wrote IIHS, which if course is a private concern.

alpha: Well, I hear you, but I am just saying that all these things we are standardizing in the cars cost money, which has to come from somewhere, whether it's more frequent and larger price increases during the first year of a new model to "catch up" with costs, or whatever.

And when you mention the Yaris/Corolla/Matrix as the models "alone" without standard SAC/SAB, I wonder if you have considered how hard it is to get those items on the Tacoma (is it even possible to get SAB in the extended cabs? And it is a very rare find indeed in the crew cabs). I don't know about Tundra - does it have standard curtains now?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    I am glad Toyota isn't bumping the size of the engine past 1.8 liters, but I would personally prefer a smaller enine option.

Use the latest and greatest, (super VVTI, whatever that is) to increase power/liter and offer a 1.6 liter engine and super efficient CVT.

Such a car should be able to get 40+ mpg combined, even with the new EPA standards.

On top of that would appreciate a trip computer, (from the center monitor) that in a prius like manner, offers real time mpg, overall mpg for trip, mp for lie of car, and range remaining, as well as temp.

That would be perfect for me, who dosn't need my Corolla to go any faster!

I drive a 94 Corolla with 165,000 miles on it. I hope to make it to 250,000-300,000 which would have me buying a new car in the next gen or perhaps even the one after that.

My current acceleration is just fine, and I currently use a 1.6 liter. With current tech like vvti Toyota could probably replace my engine with 1.5 liters, and the 2009 could make due with 1.4 liters.

I never could understand the American obsession with speed. With traffic congestion so bad these days who cares about acceleration of 0-60 in 9 seconds vs 10? Is it really worth sacrificing 2-3 mpg for it?
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Toyota would offer a poor man's sport sedan along the lines of the old BMW 2002. Something compact that feels solid; with great handling and feel; and has a sole purpose of providing driver enjoyment. Current designs weigh us down with luxury gadgets, safety features that surround us in air bags, and don't allow for "edgy" driving (ABS, etc.). The closest we get to this ideal nowadays is the Mazda Miata.

There weren't so many other cars on the road. Since I started driving 30+ years ago, the number of cars on U.S. roads has doubled, without a significant increase in the miles of lanes. As agalas says, why have a sports car with all this traffic congestion?

The roads were in better shape. Why have a sports car when what we need are SUV's to navigate U.S. roads?
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    How do you get it, as it's not an option on Edmunds.
    Also, someone wrote and said the Civic and M3 hAVE timing chains rather than belts.
    How come you can buy a V Dub and a Focus with heated seats, but not a Corolla.
    Usually that's how Toyota gets you with the extras . :)
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    Well after reliability, but the point of my post is this:

We are entering the final era of oil, when world production peaks and begins to decline.

Within a few years, supply will dip beneath demand permenantly, and that means the price of gas will soar exponentially as China, India, Japan, the EU and the US are forced into a bidding war for the ever diminishing fuel supplies.

Gas prices will climb past $10/gallon and no body will care about performance, only fuel economy will count.

Since I drive my cars until the wheels fall off, as do many Toyota owners, we have to anticipate $10-15/gallon gas and ask ourselfes, " is the current offering going to cut it when it costs $150 to fill your tank?"

That is why I am so frustrated at all the car companies. For the US market they pump up the size of the engine to absurd levels!

In mid 1980's a Corolla went 0-60 in 12 seconds, and that was fine with millions of owners who bought them.

My 94 Corolla goes 0-60 in 10 seconds and I am able to muster enough power to confidently pass at 80 mph on the interstate!

Now 0-60 time is something like 9 seconds or less and I hear that Toyota's latest Corolla will have more power!

SO GIVE IT A SMALLER ENGINE FOR GOD'S SAKE! Keep the performance the same but better MPG is what counts!

Do I need to go 0-60 in 8 seconds? HELL NO!

When gas hits $4/gallon next summer will I car for 1 second faster acceleration when it costs more to fill my tank? HELL NO!

I am sick to death of the size and power of the Corolla growing over time!

Yes I like saftey, such as 6 irbags and ABS and Traction control.

For that I am willing to accept a few hundred pounds more, but saftey alone dosn't explain why the all cars keep getting so much larger!

Imagine if Toyota were to go back to 12 second 0-60, how small an engine could they put into the 09 Corolla? 1.2 liters, 1 liter?

If they used a turbo diesel, which has great low end torque, they could do 0-60 in 10 seconds with a 1.2 liter diesel that's mileage would knock your socks off!

The Honda Accord Diesel gets 62 pg imperial, 52 mpg American and that's with a 2.2 liter diesel.

Assuming that is for Highway and considering that the Corolla is a smaller car, one could assume a 1.2 liter diesel gets 60-65 mpg combined real world mileage.

And if you're willing to accept 0-60 in 12 seconds, as was the case in the 1980's, then a 1 liter diesel does the trick.

Now you're talking 70 mpg combined mileage, and without a hybrid no less, driving on cheaper fuel, and in an engine that that will outlast a gas version!

Combine a 1 liter turbo diesel with a super efficient CVT transmission and you are talking 75 mpg combined real world mileage!

At this point 15,000 miles/year sucks 200 gallons of diesel, which, assuming the worst case scenario, $15/gallon, only costs $3,000 annualy, a number most of us could make due with.
    A 6AT get better MPG than a 4AT! A 6AT can improve MPG in the city and alot on the highway! A 6AT could bring the corollas city MPG up and increase the highway. 6ATs are very smooth. You should really drive one as of late. The 6th gear could let the corolla cruise at a much lower RPM and that better for MPG. Plus the car knows what gear to jump down to if you need to pass.

-Cj
    $10 per gallon gas will not be coming within the next 3-7 years most people replace cars.
    At that price point, alternative fuels would be cheaper anyway.
  • fastandstylefastandstyle Member Posts: 55
    Hello Corolla Partners!!!!
    :)
    Excuse me lack of understanding in thecnical words. Please some body explain whats the meaning of this words.

SAC/SAB
    make VSC standard

Is the Corolla and Matrix coming with Hybrid engine in 2008?
    I'm affarid too about US$10 in Gas Prices. :)
    Side air curtains
    Side air bags
    Vehicle stability control (Toyota's term for electronic stability control, or ESC).
    :surprise:

As over 45,000 people showed last month, a Corolla record, Corolla doesn't need side air bags to be a great value. Civic has some new features Corolla doesn't, but it all comes down to sales, and trust. A reputation of excellence, which no one, but Toyota or Honda, can offer, at any price!

Toyota has everything it needs to be a great value.

STD side air bags is just piling on, at this point.

And the '09 will do just that!

And Toyota doesn't, really shouldn't, make a sexier Corolla, any more than people need a sexier Camry. That's not what people buy a Corolla for.

Toyota doesn't need sexy styling, or side air bags, to sell Corollas. All they need is the word of your friend who owns one. Seen any Corolla commercials lately? :blush:

The problem, for the haters, is that Corolla can still CONTROL the market, and keep some features in it's back pocket.

It's good to be the King. :shades:

Corolla Mojo. Catch it! At a Toyota dealer now! ;)

DrFill
    I agree. The Corolla doesn't need side air bags to be a great value. It needs them to be safe.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=292
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    agalas,

I agree with you. Economy never goes out of style among intelligent consumers. Ever since CAFÉ standards stopped increasing the U.S. market has seen an increase in SUV’s and pickups while the range of available cars (in terms of number of passengers, vehicle weight, mpg, even cost for us ordinary folks) has narrowed. I bemoan that the choices for frugal consumers of cars have nearly disappeared.

I really irked me to hear that GM, Ford, and Chrysler asking the Feds not to raise CAFÉ standards as it cost jobs by putting them at a competitive disadvantage. IMO their only competitive disadvantage is being shortsighted, stupid, and greedy. As you point out, there is a finite supply of oil, so the cost for oil derived products can only go up over time.

OTOH as the roads get more crowded yet deteriorated and people are in more of a hurry, the need for safety equipment (and associated bulk/weight) also increases. But the need for improved acceleration is only a reflection in our acceptance of current gas prices. It seems that the real problem isn’t that more efficient cars can’t be built, but that the public doesn’t want them. Perhaps $10/gallon gas and a 100% luxury tax on cars as seen in Europe would help persuade John Q Public in the U.S.

The long term solution is fuel cells. Chemical batteries (based on foreseeable technology) are too heavy and have too much of an environmental impact during production/disposal to be viable. Diesel, propane, biofuels, etc. are only stop gap measures and a distraction from the long term solution. Electrical power, to distill hydrogen) can be produced from wind or solar sources if the oil/energy lobbies can be controlled. (10% of S. Dakota covered in windmills or 10% of Nevada covered in solar panels could supply all U.S. electrical needs. Norway already has a 400 mile highway with pop machine sized hydrogen generators along the route.)
    I totally agree that mpg is not focused on enough. Still pushing the bigger and faster is better. Unfortunately many consumers fall for this. How somebody can buy a large truck/suv with a clear conscience today is beyond me.

It is not all about the cost of gas. Other issues like balance of trade, and where the oil money actually goes are more important to me.

BTW. As a South Dakotan we would be happy to replace the middle east as the energy supplier. We already export more than twice the electricity we use and produce a large quantity of ethanol to boot. Though 10% of the land covered with windmills seems a little high.
    oooh! one for the backster! ;)

totally valid point.

i'll be leaving my corolla mojo at the dealer, thanks.