Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    So you get an LS460L with a discount to the comparable S550. Then you top it off with a 600hL with its higher overall displacement and lots of more gadgetry/features and still price that slightly under the S550. Talk about double-whammy attack on the new S. If you are a buyer at $75-90K, you now have even more choices - should you buy an A8, 750i, S550, LS460L, LS 600hL, or an XJ8. Hmmmm !
  • Options
    ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    I owned an RX400h for 11 months and tradrd in early June for the GS450h. The powerplant in the GS hybrid is as powerful as a big V8 but, in my opinion, better. Based on my experience with the V8 Lexuses, fuel efficiency is 42 per cent better. Performance is better because of the balance and low center of gravity inherent in hybrid cars. I now consider the price I paid (list minus tradein value) as low and very reasonable. The superior Lexus quality, reliability and service is a bonus.
    The LS600 powerplant should be equivalent to a big V12 and I would conjecture that fuel efficiency will be substantially better. It seems to me the LS600h at the prices mentioned is a bargain. Given my experience I wouldn't buy a non-hybrid vehicle and the Toyota/Lexus hybrids are vastly superior to anybody else's at the present time.
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I echo your feelings. The pricing structure of the LS600hL definitely seems like a bargain based on what this car has to offer.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    That's why I hope they make enough of them.
  • Options
    nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    I'm sure that they anticipate huge demand for the car- there will probably be supply bottlenecks for a little while after release with the hybrid systems and waiting lists, but they should quickly subside. I assume that is the reason for the delay in launch- ensuring the proper supply chain.
  • Options
    Being first on the list at my dealer, I am pretty sure that I am in good shape, but I'm with you. Yes, I do hope they make enough to satisfy all those that really want this awesome vehicle.
  • Options
    It looks more and more like we're facing an economic slowdown and it seems to me that Lexus may be pricing the upcoming LS's with that in mind.
  • Options
    123itsdee123itsdee Member Posts: 11
    i saw an s550 today and it looked kinda ugly to me. the wheel wells make the car look cheap. the lexus is really gonna kill the sales of the s class.PERSONALLY i think the new redesighned camery looks better than the s class ;)
  • Options
    I really a) disagree with that sentiment and b) feel that Lexus is pricing the LS this way to go head on against the S-Class. The LS has sold nearly as well as the S-class for the past years, but this year it looks as if the S-class will heartily beat it. Lexus is pricing the LS460l/600hl at or below S550 prices so it can do two things. First, so it can finally be considered in the same price range as the S-class, and second, so it can crush the S-class with a similarly priced car that is much better.
  • Options
    With a dying LS 430 and a new S I'd expect the S to win this year but it's no shoe in. Lexus likely ships 4,000 LS cars a month starting in September. August is the questionable month. Does the LS460 start to trickle in during August or is it a full throttle month. Anyway Lexus sells 15-20,000 LS cars between August and December (remember sales are shipments to the dealers not sales off dealer lots) and that is probably sufficient to hold the crown.

"The LS has sold nearly as well as the S-class for the past years"

It's outsold the S class by a wide margin since 2001.
  • Options
    ""The LS has sold nearly as well as the S-class for the past years"

It's outsold the S class by a wide margin since 2001. "

In the US yes- World Wide, I believe not, then again the LS did not sell outside the US, but it was my understanding that the LS was not a great seller this last year overseas (then again, it is getting old).
  • Options
    I was only referring to the US.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Economic Slowdown!! The prime rate was just raised again. The Government is doing everything it can to slow down this overheated economy...
  • Options
    billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    The new LS is supposed to have an "8 GB Hard Disk Audio Drive".
    Just curious as to how audio files are to be loaded onto this drive and what type(s) of files will be compatible. Does anyone know?
    I think I'd prefer if they would just integrate an IPod interface into the audio system. That way I could use my 60 GB IPod with over 10,000 songs on it. Or even use a 60 GB IPod with 2 or 3 thousand songs uncompressed for total CD quality.
  • Options
    pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Supposedly, Lexus has "improved" the handling of the new LS. Bland, spiritless handling has been consistently the main knock on this car, so any improvement would be great. That said, let's hope there is an additional handling/road feel option package for those who want one, a little more involved that the "Euro Suspension" option of years gone by. I am sure that some Merc or BMW drivers would give it a second look with better road feel.
  • Options
    I certainly hope that Lexus doesn't downgrade to the level of Mercedes, BMW or Audi in any aspect.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    One couldn't even try a "Euro Suspension" if one wanted to.
    Who could find one?
    I wonder if they actually really made one?

If Lexus offered a real sport option package like they do with the Camry SE for the 2007 LS, I would be happy to check one out but it would have to be readily available, not something you only read about in a brochure.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, if you see a message that's inappropriate, please alert a host rather than sending the discussion further off-topic by commenting on it. That just makes the host eraser dirty :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    Well it's August (2007 models are beginning to circulate) so does anyone know when Lexus will officially release prices of the new LS series?
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    How do you alert a "host" if you don't have their e-mail or URL available???
  • Options
    Just click on the host's name above and his/her e-mail address will appear.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    I'm guessing maybe a 2-3 weeks before the cars go on sale.
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I thought it was October?
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    One couldn't even try a "Euro Suspension" if one wanted to.
    Who could find one?

I inquired about it at my local Lexus dealer a while back. I was told it had to be ordered. He said hardly anyone asks about it. The salesman also told me that a customer ordered one, waited and waited and it was never delivered.
  • Options
    dennykranedennykrane Member Posts: 18
    I wonder how long after the LS is released we can expect to see information in Edmunds new car pricing system? Things like National base price - Price with options Etc.

Do they get there info. when the dealers gets theirs or does it take 30 days or so to trickle in?

DK
  • Options
    If Lexus came out with an SE edition of the 2007 LS as they have with the Camry and kept one in stock for driving, I would surely check it out.

I wouldn't expect too much, but the SE Camry is a noticeable improvement in driving dynamics-some reviewers actually call it "fun." And it is quite a bit sharper-looking than the normal Camry.
  • Options
    OK thanks. If the host is not currently posting, guess I should go back thru the posts until I find the host???
  • Options
    No. That is not necessary.

Just go up this page to the top of this thread right under "2007 Lexus LS", and you will see the host's name.
    Just click on it, and his/her e-mail address will be revealed and you can just click on the e-mail address to communicate with the host directly.
  • Options
    I don't know how much credibility to give to the information I received, but at a Lexus LS460 event in Detroit, the regional manager from Chicago told me that they were planning on shipping only 200 or so LS600hLs a year (I don't know if that is national or Midwest region). He said the price would be north of $100,000.

Then again, I have received conflicting information from others, so I really don't know.
  • Options
    This cannot possibly be true. I am of the opinion that some of these sales people, regional managers, etc. are absolutely clueless about what is going on. We know a lot more from reliable posters and information on this board than do a lot of the Lexus sales people and managers.

ljflx (Len), help us out here. Forget about some of those ignorant people that got you very upset (rightfully so) on the other board (HELM) and bless us with your valuable knowledge here.
  • Options
    Thanks again. I thot it was up there somewhere but could not focus on it. That will help me a lot in the future.
  • Options
    I certainly hope that my (and the boards) previous information was right.

I will be flying out to Chicago soon to drive the LS460 and see the LS600.
  • Options
    Sure.
    Glad to help!
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    New York would sell 200 by itself in the first 6 months!

In the "Midwest Region", Lexus doesn't play as well as it does in large, coastal cities like LA, Miami, and New York.

Don't see many Toledo dealers getting more than one. Don't see many Toledo Lexus dealers!

The US should see 2-3k in the first year, than adjust according to demand after that.

Expect price somewhere around the S550 prices, $85k to $105k loaded.

DrFill
  • Options
    Actually Chicago and Detroit are very large Lexus Markets. From what I have heard, the detroit market is one of the largest in the country, which, although on the surface is quite surprising (Detroit is a heavy American car area), it is not surprising in that Detroit has a high concentration of wealthy people.
  • Options
    Thank you much for the information you have been providing and please keep us posted on what you experience and see with the LS460/LS600hL.
  • Options
    I've heard Dallas is a big Lexus market as well. Las Vegas seems to be pretty good also, just from my observation. In the introductory years, Reno didn't have a Lexus dealer for quite a while. I'm sure they have one now, but you used to have to go to Vegas or Sacramento for Lexus then.
  • Options
    FWIW, my dealer left me a voice mail last week claiming he has pricing for the new LS460. According to him, the SWB will be in the low 70s and the LWB could climb all the way to the mid-80s. I have not returned his call cos I figure he must be smokin' som'thing.... How can Lexus go from $55K to $70K in one fell swoop ? Not gonna happen, IMO.

I remain inclined to believe the starting price in the low-60s for the SWB, and the LWB in the low-70s...

The cars will arrive dealer showrooms Oct 21, or thereabouts. Expect confirmed price within 1 week of release.... Meaning: we gotta wait another 6 weeks before we can all be certain of the correct price on these cars.
  • Options
    As great as the LS460 and LS600hL will be, if the pricing is this high, it will not work out very well at all for Lexus. It cannot be true. I'm with you. These people are totally clueless about these things.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    ... my dealer left me a voice mail last week claiming he has pricing for the new LS460. According to him, the SWB will be in the low 70s and the LWB could climb all the way to the mid-80s.....

I wonder if some of the price elevations people are hearing about reflect a "market value" increase that some dealers are tacking on to new scarce or high demand models. Has your dealer been one of these kind of dealers?
  • Options
    My dealer has definitely NOT been one of these.
  • Options
    stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    Hello Oac

1. The difference b/w SWB and LWB will not be more than $5K.
    Thats the case with A8, 7-series and XJ. That means low to mid 60s for SWB and high 60s to low 70s for LWB.

2. A jump from 57K to 70K as base price for LS is not probable. No manufacturer including such imperious brands like Ferrari, Porsche, mercedes raise their prices by more than 10-15% on a new edition.

3. This means $57K X 1.15 = ~65K for SWB and $69K for LWB. Although I wish LS matches Audi A8 at least over next 2-3 years by progressively raising base pricing. Their sales will go down a notch, but the long term benefits of head-to-head pricing are indisputable and will raise Lexus' stature.
  • Options
    Steve:

Welcome back ! Please stay and don't disappear OK... I like your posts and you enrich this board by many of your informed posts....

I agree 100% with you. Carnaught is also probably right in that the price my dealer left for me has to include "uplifts" by the dealer... Or maybe he's trying to get me thinking in that range early... Regardless, I think the SWB will be in the mid-60s for a lightly loaded model - Base + ML/Nav (no frills). If you want to load it all up, it may be near or around $70K. The LWB should easily top $70K, and should move to the high 70s tops.

600hL should top at the mid-90 range (all features on the LS460 LWB + LED beams, leather-stitched dash, V10, HSD). Certainly NOT going to be anywhere close to $100K, IMO... I think Lexus will sell tons of the 600hL if that car can be had at the mid-80 range... Maybe Lexus wants exclusivity (high price) or market share (low price). We'll see which direction the LS Series takes. October will be here soon enough.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    You save my breath very nicely! :D

The LWB should START at $70k.

The 600hL should be $1 less than the S550! If they sell more than 2500 units, I'll consider it a success. :shades:

DrFill
  • Options
    sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Yesterday, I called Lexus 800 number and was told the introduction date for LS460 will be sometime in October, but an exact day has not been set. Can't wait to see them!
    Has anyone been to the docks in Calif to see if they are arriving yet? Before the 04's intro date they were stockpiled at the docks in Long Beach, then our allotment was put on rail to my part of the country (DFW).
  • Options
    My dealer informed me today that they think the basic LS460 (SWB) will start out in the mid 60s K. A starting point in the 70s K would be very much out of line.
  • Options
    I had forgotten to bring this up:

The Midwest manager I had spoken with had said something about the ls600hl having mechanical AWD vs. electronic AWD, and he said this is a first for Lexus.

Does anybody else know what type of AWD are on the other Lexus models (the RX330/400h AWD, the IS250/GS300 AWD, LX/GX470 AWD)
  • Options
    Like an old Jeep? That's sounds like a turn off. Can't be....
  • Options
    The quattro system on Audis is mechanical... which is supposedly better, so I don't really think it would be a turn off. Then again, I don't really know what they mean mechanical vs. electronic.
  • Options
    I don't either - but this I know. If it's on an Audi, it's not "maintenance free". It may work splendidly, when it works. I guess somebody here needs to enlighten us as to how a mechanical AWD system works. I assume, it maintains ratios of power to all wheels, all the time. Without an electronic brain component, how can it redistribute power by need? :confuse: