Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Suburban Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• bwalukonisbwalukonis Member Posts: 16
    The deals again will be a crapshoot, The rebate game is not more then 6000. It went to 7000. in May for 72 hours and then back to 6000. I am picking up my new LTZ next week and figure 6000. is not bad. I buy and sell a suburban every 6 months and just sold a loaded LTZ for 37000. and that included nav back up camera etc. It is a great ride.
  • rick9194rick9194 Member Posts: 50
    I got a quote on an LTZ MSRP 53,940 for 42,869 ... thats the 11,000 someone mentioned ... I got another quote for a LT3 for about 10,000 off MSRP

Can you figure about invoice minus the 6,000?

How many miles on the LTZ you sold for 37,000 .... do you remeber the MSRP. I've also got 3,000 GM credit card credits. I like white ... I'm trying to get a good quote on that other white color thats an upgrade.

Keep the info coming

Thanks
    MSRP was 55,035 and I had 15000 miles on it . The 10000 off your quote included the rebates so what the dealers knock off is roughly 9% plus the rebate. My LTZ I am picking up next week , I will sell in dec and then replace with an 09. Not much new for next year : a price increase, new fascias, heated and cooled seats as an option that is about it.

I have a feeling that gm will not start building the 09's in heavy volume until they clear out the 08's. They are not going to fill the lots and have 6000 rebates . They will idle the plants and clear the inventory. Interesting times, I have been buying and selling vehicles every 6 months for 38 years and have never seen anything like this.
  • roadrunner28roadrunner28 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a couple of Tahoes yesterday. While I was at the dealership, the saleman introduced me to the manager. We were discussing the $6K discount and he said that he had just gotten word of an additional $1,500 incentive to be added to that. That's a total of $7,500, of course. And yes, you can take the discount and finance for 0% for 72 months.

What I want to know is if I can get additional money off from the dealer's part. I mena, GM is the one giving the discounts, so the dealer is making his usual profit, right? Could I bring that up while haggling?
    Somebody is leading you down the path , as far as I know , you cannnot get both the rebates and the 0% financing , The actual rebates are 2000. plus 4000. or zero percent. Just checked my gm employee website and that is exactly what it is.The 6grand is from gm but you are into the dealer with the other 4grand off MSRP.Did not have any 1500. published as of yet. That would be good if it is true.
  • irishrogue1irishrogue1 Member Posts: 127
    agreed.

to take the 0% you give up the $6k.

if you take the 2.9% special rate, you only give up $2k of the rebate.

if you take the $6k, std. GMAC rates are in the 5%+ range for 60mos.

if your dealer got notice of another $1500, the incentive summary sheets sent out to dealers should get updated today...ill keep a lookout. the last update was July 10th. GM has been updating them on average about 1x per week so another change wouldnt surprise me.

I WISH THEY REMOVE THE REDEMPTION CAPS ON GM EARNINGS.....
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    I WISH THEY REMOVE THE REDEMPTION CAPS ON GM EARNINGS

You know the interesting thing about the GM Card points is that, at least with my card, it is an HSBC card. This would mean HSBC is financing the program, not GM. The bank gets 3% on every purchase, to pay you 5%, they are banking on interest from balances. I never carry a balance and accumulate points like crazy. Point is, I'm not sure why GM wouldn't increase the redemption allowance. There must be some % deal between HSBC and GM that we don't see.
    I'm with you, I have over $4000 in GM $ and have switched future credit card purchases to a different card. If I can only redeem $1500 at a shot, my $4000 will be around for a while. I went as far to request a special allowance with no luck. They had a $1000 bonus about a month ago that I wasn't invited for. I guess the sqeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease.
    i wont claim to understand how the GM card works but i do know that there is juice in it for GM.. it was the biggest launch ever for an affinity card back when they intro'd it. it has directly translated into serious car/truck purchases for GM - i dont recall the stats but a huge number of card members have used the points to buy GM over the years.

given that most GM card holders are past, present and certainly future purchasers, it would seem to be a great captive audience to market a greater incentive to outside of the incentives through the dealers....at least double the allowances on the slow moving SUVs/trucks.....i have over $5k now and only use amex and an airline card....
    ...and he said that he had just gotten word of an additional $1,500 incentive to be added to that.

well let's hope it is true....although i would expected the incentive summary matrix to be updated today and showing it....myabe tomorrow....

here is one dealer that posts it on the web incentive matrix
    No word on an extra 1500. Maybe that salesmen was blowing smoke.
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    The $1500 may be a dealer incentive. I just got quoted a silverado for $900 under invoice plus the $5000 in rebates. Kinda odd they would go so far under invoice without a fight.
    Could be a dealer incentive but I would not be eligible due to getting gm pricing which is under invoice anyway. You have to watch what the invoice price really is,there is a 3% holdback and these guys got to make some money or they won't be in business long.
    What is the holdback on a suburban ... is it a percentage ... or a set number.

When the 2009s are out good, does the dealer get an extra incentive for selling a 2008.

I'm getting some fairly good quotes ... seems you can get 21% off msrp on a ltz at any reasonable dealer ... some will discount more.

Thanks for the info guys ... keep it coming please
    One other question ... how much extra should you get off for a demo ... one that's spotless with about 3500 miles.

Would an extra discount for a demo be out of the dealers pocket ... or is there some advantage they get.

Thanks
    Usually the corp puts rebates on the vehicles and will not do anything under the table for the dealer. 22% includes all rebates people got into the holdbackis about 10 grand on a 55000. LTZ . The dealers are picking up auction cars with 3500 miles on them not so one LTZ for 37000. The holdback for the dealer is around 3/% but again , the dealers would go broke if they had to getr into the holdback. I believe the rebates of 6000 are pretty healthy and don't be suprised if they get pulled back. GM is taking plants down and they pretty much may keep supply with demand. Saying that , a certain number of will buy suburbans and tahoes no matter what gas is. They just may play to a smaller market and sit on them. I am picking up my new suburban next week , right or wrong you have to pull the trigger sometime.
    i pulled the trriger on an LTZ on friday. May build, a total of 24.4% off msrp - $13,504 (inc. $6k rebates).
    That is a good buy. As I said before, there may be another grand or the rebates may retreat a grand . Good luck with the LTZ , they are great vehicles.
  • fish2575fish2575 Member Posts: 23
    I would love to get the run down on your numbers.
    How did you come up with 24.4% off MSRP?
    What was MSRP and do you know what invoice was on the vehicle.

I am trying to figure out if dealers really are going below invoice on these Suburbans. Kind of hard to figure out what invoice really is on some of the options. Like the cross bars for the luggage rack. Edmunds and Consumer reports list the invoice at $75 but the MSRP listed on the window sticker says $45. MSRP is supposed to be $90.

The dealer we are working with won't go into holdbacks so if there is a dealer incentive out there I would love to know about it. I know I can get them to pass that on to us because they have done it before on a different vehicle.
    The 6000 rebate coupled with the 9% or so discount gets you way below invoice. On a 55k Ltz I would not worry about 90. crossbars, If the dealer sold at invoice and went into his holdback where is the incentive to make any money? A loaded LTZ with nav is 55k, I still have not heard of any additional 1500 rebate to make it 7500 off. Nor have I seen any dealer incentive
    my ltz msrp is $55,185 less $6k GM rebate less dealer discount of $7299. Plus another $1500 in GM CC earnings.
    Sounds like a great deal .... I don't doubt you got it ... I'm getting some quotes close to that.

Where .. in general ... did you get that good buy.

I want one ... I hope I don't mess around too long and the rebates softens ... I was thinking about waiting another month or so while I continue to shop.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger
    surprisingly a small dealer in missouri advertising on ebay....so the bad news is a $30 one way flight and a 12 hr drive back to DC...
  • tdbrphtdbrph Member Posts: 40
    What dealership in Missouri?
    max motors in butler MO. here is a taho LTZ listing with $13,165 off inc. rebates...

ebay listing
    in addition to max motors, there are a few other dealers on ebay adverstising $10-11k off. i think there is a dealer in painted post, NY who has one listed for 12k+ off.

the problem with waiting of course is less inventory and potentially having to settle for a color/options combo that you do not want....to me it is not worth saving maybe a $1k and settling for a car that is not equipped the way i want...i think there is little to no chance that a dealer will trade to get you a truck if they are selling below invoice and are into their holdback... my experience shows that if they are making very little cash, you need to be quick and not waste their time...get the deal done and be mindful of the fact that even though you are spending $40k, they are dumping a truck that they had hoped to make a few grand on and may only be making about a grand or so on....
    I think that's good advice .... What color did you get?

What kind of mileage are you guys getting?
    graystone metallic with ebony. only options are LTZ and Sun,Enter, Dest package and cross bars. i actually would have preferred no SED do i could do aftermarket DVD, but i didnt feel like looking around any longer and gthe built in navi and rear camera are kinda cool....
  • jbattjbatt Member Posts: 13
    What was invoice pricing on your vehicle. Just trying to figure out if invoice less $6000 is what I should be looking at or should I be looking at something less than invoice as starting point?

I'm looking at Tahoe with LTZ, sun entertainment package, retractable power lift steps, and cross beams. MSPR: $54,365 Invoice: $48,639.

What price should I be paying
  • spdrwebspdrweb Member Posts: 1
    Check out the Carmax website. They have a new car section and post the bottom line price on Tahoes. It will show the invoice and include all rebates. It looks like they are about $1700 to $1900 below invoice. I am not sure if this is hold back or some other incentive.

Based on what they are showing, you should be looking at 13k or more off of MSRP.
    sorry, i dont know the invoice price. you can check it on edmunds.
    My opinion is ..... If that is correct invoice .... I would say max price should be 48,639 minus 6000 ... 42639 and don't pay an outrageous doc fee or any weird dealer fees. At that price the dealer is making money.
    One thing I need to keep in mind is .... these are good deals. The current offers are if you take delivery by 7-31-08. Who knows maybe the deals will get better ... maybe not. As bwalukonis pointed out, sooner or later chevy is going to figure this out and they will not need to offer these great incentives.

What they are doing now is not in their best interest ... sooner or later they will tighten up supply and the price firms up.

I'm the worlds worst ... still holding out for better deal ... I need to go ahead and pull the trigger
    I am in the process of negotiating on a Tahoe with MSRP of $54,365 that is on the dealers lot. I'll keep you informed on how this goes. I sent an email on Monday night and got no response on Tuesday, so I sent another email to a different sales rep at the dealership last night. No wonder GM losses sales, how do you not respond to a sales lead within 24 hours.

I am also looking at another vehicle and that sales rep. sent me 6 emails yesterday. Has located vehicle (was not on their lot) and we are within $500 of negotiating price.

GM dealership will have 1 day to try and give me a better deal or I will end up buying other vehicle.
    I pyesterdayicked up LTZ
    In the scheme of things $500 is not a lot of money, if the salesmen can't do it , he is right at the razor thin margin , there is not a lot of activity on ordering 09's yet and in the ensuing months i believe that gm will not overbuild in 09, this may impact the rebates.
    I agree with bwaluk ... if you're gettting 22% ..to.. 25% off msrp .... don't worry about the $500 ... don't let them sneak in the high doc fee or any other weird fees.

Go for it ..... let us know the final deal ..... I may do something this weekend
    The vehicle I am within $500 is not a Tahoe and I am now at $350 of my price. On the Tahoe I am $2000 over what I feel is a fair price. I can't even get them to invoice before the $6000 rebate. I just don't understand I had to wait 2 days to get contacted, the Tahoe is on the dealers lot and they want to play games. Other vehicle got a response within a couple of hours and they had to locate vehicle.

I like the Tahoe and would prefer to buy American, but will buy the vehicle I feel I am getting a good deal on. I may try a different Tahoe dealer today to see if I get a better response, but looks like no Tahoe for me. Also, the dealership I am discussing new Tahoe with is dealership where I get my current Tahoe serviced. You would think they would be more than willing to do business with me.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Shop around. I've found wide variances as to what different dealerships are willing to accept. Dealerships have different cost structures, inventory carrying costs, and different sales target incentives......which lead some to be more motivated than others.
    Trying to get to invoice , which means very little left over for the salesmen commissions and of course, the "pack" which is dealer overhead for his expenses , I understand the reluctance of the salesmen to go to invoice. Head of autonation was on cnbc this am talking about the huge rebates on suvs righat now and it is a good time to buy, check a couple of dealers and you will see they are not willing to cut each others throat by selling them for invoice. To me that is a good thing since I buy a new one every 6 months and like to see the residuals stay strong when I retail out of my old one. Sometimes salesmen will not get back to you if they figure they are getting lowballed. I get a lot of calls with people offering ridiculous offers thinking you want to get rid of cars at any cost. My reply usually is , "Great for a down payment , how do you want to finance the rest?
    Took a lot of hard work, but I got my new Tahoe with LTZ, sun and fun package, power assist step for $40,000 (include $6000 and GMCC). MSRP of $54,365. Total discount = 26.4%

Excellent deal jbatt ... thats a good prices period

Where did you get that deal?
    So where did you get that deal ... I got an e mail from one dealer I had been corresponding with that said GM was offering an additional 1500 off ... I haven't checked it but I think they are just trying to get talking again ... does gm ever offer dealer incentives that the public would not know about??
    What do you think bwalukonis
    Williams in Elkton Md has everyone beat in the tri state area in my opinion, Now is the time to buy an suv with the 6k rebate, I have bought 34 suburbans intermixed with a few tahoes from williams. Again, in my opinion,when GM gets the inventory reduced, the rebates will not be as generous.
    In Novi, Michigan. I got an email from a Cadillac dealer that GM was allowing GM employees to give a GM employee discount to one person. I have a good neighbor that works for GM that got me the GM employee discount and then the $6000 cash back can only use GM credit card if you have the correct one (it's the one you get 1% back not 5%).

GM employee offer only good through the end of the month.

I had '05 Tahoe and can't believe the difference between the 2. Much quieter on the inside, stero has much better sound, fuel management dropping from 8 to 4 cylinders can get me 20% better mileage in city driving. Only had for one day, but if you're light on the gas pedal can get 18 mpg city vs. 15 in my '05 tahoe. Radio with navigation looks better, etc., etc. By far best Tahoe ever made.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who are moving away from large SUVs and trucks to smaller compact cars and also consumers who are taking advantage of the lower prices and purchased a large SUV or truck. If you are a new owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, August 4th.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Salespeople and potential buyers cannot hook up here in the forums. That breaks our NO SOLICITING rule..

If you post here, trying to accomplish that, then your post will be removed (in case you wondered where they are going..)

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I see ... when I think it through .. that makes perfect sense ... sorry I broke the rules ... I apparently overlooked that in the TOS. I am usually a stickler about following "the rules" in regard to most everything.

Thanks for moderating the board ... I really like using it.

I did have one question ... when I got to edmunds and price a car ... then go to cunsumer discussion ... it took some searching around to find the thread about buying and pricing experience for suburbans .... most cars I've research it's easy to find. If I may ask, how is that determined?

Thanks again for this excellent service.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Well... I'm only here in the forums section.. I'm not sure how they arrange the navigation from the main site...

But, from wherever you are, you can click on Community or Forums, and it will bring you to the CarSpace.com home page..

Then, use the tools on the right hand side to check out the forums you are interested in... You can search by make and model, or by topic.. If it is Prices Paid forums that you are interested in, you can pull up that entire forum, and search for your model alphabetically.

Glad you enjoy the forums!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator