Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (2007+)

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Yup, it's totally true. In the same announcement Ford said the GT would be discontinued along with the Lincoln LS.

It's sad. Ford needs performance cars. The only one they have is the Mustang GT500 which is good, but not enough.
    A performance Sport Trac was a Ford product that I was looking forward to, but apparently it wont happen.

Can you at least do an SVT Fusion, Ford?
  • dfaracedfarace Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sportrac with 28,000 miles. Mine starting thumping at about 25,000 miles. The dealer says it's tire vibration. Since it caused the tires to wear uneven they are giving me new tires. Goodyear says there are no defects in the tire. I rotate my tires every 6 thousand miles so they should not be worn already. I am still waiting after 3 weeks for the tires.
  • blksn8kblksn8k Member Posts: 36
    I am not sure why people are claiming the 07 Sport Trac has a longer bed. Everything I have read states that it has a longer wheelbase than the previous model but that the extra length was used in the interior, not the bed. While the bed does have more volume than before, I believe this is due to the fact that it is a couple inches wider and maybe a bit taller, not because of an increase in length. This means the tailgate might be a bit longer so you could theoretically carry longer objects when the tailgate is down.

I have received pricing from a couple of dealers but I have told them I will not place an order until I have had a chance to test drive an 07. The MSRP on a 4x4 Limited V-8 with power moonroof, bed extender cage, trailer towing package and hard tonneau cover is $31,330 less dealer and dest. charges. I can buy at X-plan so that should lower it into the $29K range. Not bad...
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    that's what it looks like---50.1" in the new, and 50" in the old style. Slightly higher bed, but the bulk of the new capacity in the bed must be in the width.

When did Ford plan on having the new trucks on the lot?

John
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I have read that some are on lots. I haven't found any in California. Has anyone seen one on a dealer's lot? I wonder if they fixed the crazy interior door handle on the 2006 Explorer & Mountaineer?
    It seems that the door handle will not be changed until the 2008 model, but the present design may not be much of a problem. Some people how own and make them have told me that it takes about a week to become accustomed to it.

The dimensions of the bed/box are (from Ford) 37.5 cubic feet - 50.1" Deep x 61" Wide x 21" High.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Saw a new one yesterday on a dealers lot in Lexington, Ky. Didn't get a close up since I was driving at the time.
    Isn't it normal to get some reviews around the time of a new vehicle release?

C'mon, this is the best thing to hit the truck market since the Ridgeline.

John
    once_for-all - you have a good point. I also have not found a single review, yet it is on dealer lots. I guess than this may be evidence of a bias in favor of Japaneese vehicle manufacturers.

The Ridgeline had a nice wide interior and large bed with plenty of storage, but is horribly ugly inside and outside and has too little engine for too much vehicle. Plus, the bed is part of the vehicle, so rattling noise from cargo will be far more easily transmitted to the interior than in the Sport Trac, which has a separate bed/box.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I too don't understand why the SportTrac has not had any reviews yet, but I disagree on most of your Ridgeline review. The exterior is not very attractive; I agree. The interior looks good, the truck rides better than anything else out there, and there has not been any complaints of bed noises that I have noticed. The 3.5 is excellent just as it is in the Pilot and Odyssey. The vehicle would only need a 8 cylinder for heavier towing, and the only midsize with an 8 is the Dodge Dakota. It is not blazingly quick, but gets the job done nicely just like the Ford 3.0 in the Five Hundered and Freestyle. Of course there are a lot of complainers on the Fords, too.
    ya, well, it won't take long for the Sportrac vs Ridgeline debates to flare up.

I like the Ridge, I think it is a well put together package--best one out there (so far).

But I won't get a truck like these until I see 24 mpg highway. IMO, it will take a turbo diesel to do it.

Ford has the best chance of following through on that.

John
    lol this is too funny. I read my own post from last month and find out I said the same thing as just now.

Sorry to be boring guys, I guess there isn't much to talk about yet :)

John
    I agree none of the competitors in the small to midsize class get good enough fuel economy. I too would be a buyer of a diesel in this class. I don't know who will do it first. I will be surprised if Ford does it to this model before it does it to the F150s. I hope the SportTrac gives the Ridgeline, Tacoma, and Frontiers some real competition.
    While I agree that we need to go to Diesel engines, I suggest working out the annual and monthly fuel cost of different vehicles before getting too concerned over the fuel mileage differences. I drive 35,000 miles per year, but with regular gasoline at $2.50, an Explorer Limited RWD V8, the closest thing to the SportTrac for which mileage data has been published, would cost me $111 more per month than the too-small hatchback car rated at 20 city and 30 highway I now have. The inconvenience of having to stop for three more fillups per month is far more significant to me than the $111, but neither is significant enough to be a factor in choosing one vehicle over another.
  • matrusjonmatrusjon Member Posts: 1
    I work at a ford dealership and we got three in today. One limited and two of the XLT models. Thats the only two models offered in 2007. The interior is pretty much the same as the Explorer. Along with the front end looking like an eddie bauer with the "nostrals" at the sides of the grille. It's available in 2wd and 4wd as well as the 4.0l V6 and the 4.6l V8. You also have the option of a 5 speed or a 6 speed automatic transmission. You could fit a motorcycle in the bed but I would recommend getting the bed extender if you are planning on doing that. They are really nice. If you have any questions email me and I'll get back to you asap.
  • captjchincaptjchin Member Posts: 14
    Placed my order for a V8 XLT in Dark Stone Metallic after a test drive night before last. REALLY QUIET and nice ride. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Congratulations, captjchin, you are one of the very first to be able to drive and order one!

I spent a while searching today and found that dealers are receiving both V6 and V8 Sport Tracs now. One dealer in the greater LA area shows a V8 Limited RWD in stock, but I'll bet it is sold, or will be sold, before I am able to be near enough to visit that dealership in Torrance, CA.

It is good to hear that others have been able to drive them.

Is it just as smooth and quiet as the Explorer?
    The only true sighting I have had has been at the Detroit show. Did they do anything about those hideous exposed frame rails on the production version? I like everything about the new model except for that. The concept vehicle for both the Sport Trac and the Adrenalin (sob) from last year had a really well integrated skirt/running board. If Ford doesn't do something to hide those frame rails someone in the aftermarket should jump on this golden egg and fast. Oh, and Ford should really consider a delete option for roof rack and tie downs. Not everyone likes the tacky look.
    I had very little time to SEE in detail as it was after work and after dark. I agree about the big gap; I'll go back and check it out in daylight.

It's at least as quiet as Explorer, it doesn't have the LOOONG hollow interior to echo the sound. Having a shorter roof, less of drum effect.

Check out http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2007/2007_sporttrac.htm

Ford went to a lot of trouble to take care of details to make a GREAT truck better.
    Lol. That's pretty funny that you posted a link to that site. I got banned from there a few years ago for not having full pictures of my 67 Ranchero which was a work in progress. Bunch of [non-permissible content removed], IMO.
    Anyway, I really like the engineering of the new Trac, just not sold on the styling. I guess I'm just never going to be a soccer mom. Lol. :D
    Well, I did an inventory search on all the local dealers and just about all the larger dealers show at least one 07 Sport Trac on their lot. Unfortunately, they are ALL V-6's. Not sure what's up with that. Either Ford is not producing the V-8's yet or the dealers are afraid to stock them due to fuel mileage concerns. I'm betting its the former. Has anyone else seen any V-8's? :confuse:
    blksn8k - see my post above - there are V8 Sport Tracs listed in dealer inventory. I think they started with the V6 models, and are now making the V8s. As for V6 vs V8, the Explorer Limited RWD has the same 15 city and 21 highway rating for both.

By the way, the larger new Tahoe, with cylinder shut off, has the same or better ratings, so Ford does need to update their V8 by adding cylinder shut off (4 cylinders turn off under light load conditions, and it is a 90 degree V8, so it still runs smoothly as a 90 degree V4).

Still, fuel mileage should not be the primary factor in choosing a vehicle, as substantial differences in mileage ratings, even for people who drive as much as I do, result in small differences in annual fuel costs. See the numbers in my post above comparing a vehicle which is rated at 20 city and 30 highway vs an Explorer rated at 15 city and 21 highway. For people who drive a more typical 12,000 miles per year (40% city and 60% highway), with regular at $2.50, it works out to just $38 per month more for the Explorer.

blksn8k - I completely agree that the roof rack should be optional. The only use I would have for it is the same use I had for the rack on my 2002 Mountaineer - holding onto it while stepping up to wash, dry, and wax the roof.

The Ford web site shows mud all over a Sport Trac and photos of them in various outdoor settings. While some of them will be used that way, Ford is really missing the boat if they do not just as strongly promote the smooth ride, quiet, and luxury aspects of it. I am certainly not the only person who has a need to carry some cargo, but who wants a fancy, smooth, and quiet "car" with a big "trunk." They can keep the off road photos and text, but need to add plenty of city and suburban photos and corrsponding text with people dressed in casual and business attire.

I am also considering the updated 2008 Montego, but the Sport Trac interior is more luxurious, and the revised Montego, Five Hundred, and Freestyle will not be out until one year (or more) from now, while the Sport Trac is out now.
    Thanks for the info, fsmmcsi. I currently have a 2002 Ranger FX4 5-speed manual. It is a pretty capable off-road truck. 90% of my driving is to work or on the interstate but I do use my truck to get me into some of the places where I hunt. But I cannot carry more than one other person comfortably. I don't really have the need for a full size crew-cab and one of those doesn't fit very well in my attached garage. The Sport Trac seems to be just what the doctor ordered. The V-6 would be fine but I can't see a huge penalty in fuel mileage with the V-8 compared to the V-6. Plus the V-8 should have a significant towing advantage.
    the EPA mileage ratings for the two different engines, and the 2 and 4wd models.

Also, I want to know about the ride and handling with the new IRS.

John
    John, the window sticker for this Limited 4.6L 4x4 shows 14 city/20 highway. I am guessing that would be the lowest of all the models.

http://www.legacyfordsales.com/pages/present/flm/notlocalized/searchinventory/ve- hicledetailsnew.asp?orgid=8275&vin=1FMEU53837UA00517
    and I see the other models (2wd with base engine) are 16 city and 21 highway. About the same as the other trucks in this class.

John
    Has anyone seen a road test in any magazine? This is really strange for a newly redesigned vehicle. Why would Ford not want people to know about this? Talk about oddball marketing. In my area they are already offering low rate financing or $1000 cash back. Are they nuts? This thing just hit the dealers' lots for crying out loud! :confuse:
  • congenicongeni Member Posts: 8
    I AM WAITING FOR A BIGGER REBATE THATS THE BEST TIME TO BUY
    it is VERY odd.

Maybe Ford is too low on finances to even advertise.

It's beyond understanding.

John
    Doubt you'll see a bigger rebate. It's an 07 which would have a great residual on lease and extra months of use as a current model. In my book, the sooner the better.

The prices are lower with more standards than the past models, so that they can get away from those rediculous rebates.

I'm returning an 05 Escape that I've had for 2 full years and it's only a year old model. Same will be true for the Sport Trac.
    I'd bet that they have all available production sold without any advertising. They only build it in Ky and probably limited in capability.

I'd bet it will be the Truck of the year for 07.

It has better payload and towing than Honda which won this year. It has everything beat.
    Barring a miracle for Ford, the new Tundra will be Truck of the Year for 2007.
    Tundra maybe gets it on execution only.

Ford has it beat with IRS, AWD, handling, functionality, etc.

Unless Ford's execution was bad (always a possibility for Ford), they nail the title.

John
    We will see. I agree with you on the features and technology, but I think many can't wait to crown Toyota king even in the truck market.
    I used Edmunds to compare prices, and a Sport Trac Limited V8 with the options I want is approximately $5,000 less than a regular Explorer with the same equipment. That makes the Sport Trac a good value. Comparing it to other RWD V8 vehicles and various V6 FWD/AWD vehicles also shows that it is a good value. Comparing it to the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier, and Dakota again shows that it is a good value.

I would be amazed if Ford offers any rebates.

I just need to drive the actual production vehicle before ordering (or not).
    You mean additional rebates? Edmunds and others already have the $1k rebate posted on the 2007.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I want to drive one first. Besides, the dealers seem to be getting a lot of V-6s and very few V-8s. The only V-8's I am seeing are nearly fully loaded. I don't plan on getting every option available but I do want a Limited 4x4 4.6L. That link I posted was for the closest V-8 I have found and it has every option but the bed extender and kitchen sink. Lol. Hopefully I can test drive it before they sell it... :shades:
    On another forum, someone who works on the assembly line says that they have not yet built any V8s. Perhaps the dealers are simply listing vehicles they have on order?

I wonder why Edmunds does not have more photos, as Ford must have released more photos by now?
    I'm a little concerned about Ford's behavior lately. I hope this isn't a sign they are retreating from this market as well. Maybe they don't want to spend money for advertising in a market they see as dying. Their focus seems to be on switching from full-frame SUV's to cross-overs like the new Edge. I'm guessing the Sport Trac redesign was too far along or they would have cancelled it altogether. I am a little worried about their future plans overall. They seem to be headed down some green path that Bill JR has in mind. Witness the cancellation of the SVT Sport Trac Adrenalin and the Hurricane engine program. When car guys like John Coletti, Chris Theodore and Phil Martens all leave that can't be a good sign for people like me who hate boring vehicles. Looks like the 80's all over again. Maybe Bill should change his last name to Toyota. :cry:
    Everyone:

I found this yesterday evening. They have details, plenty of photos, (cloth seats, leather, colors, and so forth). Some things are diffferent than in the USA (e.g. I am happy that the Limited in Canada has heated leather seats standard, while they are an option in the USA, as the cooler cloth is better here in California).

http://www.ford.ca/main/default.asp?language=en&section=1&source=&sVehCategory=F- ordSUVs&model=Explorer+Sport+Trac
    Thanks for the link. This is the first time I have seen anything about the bed being longer than the last model's.

"For maximum versatility the 2007 Sport Trac cargo bed is a full 10 cms (3.9”) longer making it 26.7% larger with 1062 L (37.5 cu ft) of cargo space."

But in the SPECS AND DIMENSIONS charts they list the "Exterior cargo length" as 39.2" and the "Exterior cargo maximum width" as 55.7" Not only does that seem bass-ackward but it also conflicts with data that others have posted that they say came from Ford. Damn Canucks... :confuse:

I don't understand why when you go to Ford USA's website that you cannot even use the Build and Price feature for the 07 when the flippin' things are already on the dealer lots. Come on Ford, get yer chit together!!! Stuff like this is what causes people to lose confidence in a company... :(
    Did you also notice that the Canadian Ford site shows the bed / box three feet deep? IThe Ford ordering guide also has the same errors:

http://www.sandersonford.com/Ambassador.aspx
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    My local Dealer in Ontario, Canada has a 2007 Sport Trac Limited 4.0V6 on the lot. I went in last night for a brochure, and they sent me out for a drive. I am very impressed. The roads where I live are really rough from being heaved by the frost in the ground. The Sport Trac's 4 wheel independent suspension just soaked up the bumps, so much better than my Dakota's solid rear axle hopping around. The interior is nice, with features like steering wheel controls for audio and heater, dual zone climate control, heated seats, big sunroof, adjustable pedals, Audiophile sound system with subwoofer. The box is 49.6" long as listed in the brochure. With the tailgate down, I measured the length at over 6 feet. The v6 was smooth, the 5-speed auto shifted nicely. I really like it, can't wait to try the V8 version. It is a quiet truck to drive, very little wind noise. Plus it is $10k Canadian cheaper than a similarly equipped Explorer. V8 will tow up to 6800 pounds. Take a test drive, you will be impressed!
    :) The 2007 Sport Trac recieved a very good safty rating, it was rated the number 1 truck Tundra came in second.I think Ford has a winner with the new Sport Trac. I test drove a new limited it has a very smooth ride.
    I test drove a Limited 4x4 4.6L today. It was the same vehicle that I posted the link to a few days ago. The truck stickered at over $35K. It was very smooth. The V-8 seemed to have adequate performance and the 6-speed auto shifted seemlessly. One thing I found out today that was a little disappointing was the fact that the power rear window is not yet available. That fact might cause me to wait a few months to see if Ford makes that available again. They show it in the photos of the brochure but the truck I drove did not have it and it is not listed as an option. I assumed it was standard on the Limited but apparently not. I suppose this truck could have been built this way by mistake but the dealer claims they checked and it is not available, period. There was a place for the switch on the center stack though so I assume it will be available at some point.
    I was going over a lease with a dealer and to my surprise the residual value for a 07 was 66% that is very good for a lease that even better than the explorer my advise to anyone who may be planning to buy should look at leasing also
    I placed my order about a week ago for an XLT with V8 fully loaded for a 68% 2 year @ 12k per year. Couldn't pass it up. Reason is that in 24 months it will still be ONLY a year old truck.
    Ford finally has the 2007 Sport Trac link on their web site fully functional. It is very nice, and full of good photos, although the 360 degree views only rotate in one plane.
  • ayarbo1ayarbo1 Member Posts: 56
    Just joined the forum, great site for information!

Does anyone know if the 07 Sport Trac comes with HID (High Intensity Discharge) Headlights?
  • bailey9bailey9 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the exact same problem but no offer of Any remuneration toward replacing my Goodyear Wrangler tires. This is my second Ford Explorer in 5 years with major problems: 2000 XLS had the engine rebuilt-still sounded like a diesel! 2004XLS Premium-thumping tires at 28000 mi. even though tires had been balanced & rotated every 5-6000 miles. Can anybody say "three strikes and your out" or should I just bail out & buy a Toyota Tacoma?