Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Future Models

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited March 2014 in Honda
Since the hybrid version is hitting the dealerships this week, it's time to look at a facelift for the upcoming model year. What's the word on the street? Share your thoughts here!

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I think that this mid life freshening may turn out to be more extensive than is normal for Honda. Sales are a bit off and major mistakes were made in the styling of the present model (at least in my opinion).

Honda needs to abandon the goofy slotted front end with insert and give the car an honest to goodness grille. The coupe needs more more work than the sedan. By giving the coupe a higher beltline and eliminating any sculpting on the door, Honda has made this car look too plump and slabsided. Sculpting the bottom of the door(coupe) adding a stronger character line(coupe) and adding a Civic Si style front end w/grille (coupe and sedan) would do wonders for this car.Adding a few more interior color combos instead of one per exterior color would also help make the car more competitive.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    on the interior combos thing. Not everybody who wants a blue car wants a gray interior.
  • heisnsteinheisnstein Member Posts: 45
    Here's a link to a front-end photo of the upcoming 2006 Honda Civic.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-shots-2004/H/honda-civic- _page_4.html

This puts Honda's front end styling squarely in the Acura camp and could provide an important clue as to how Honda will fix its Accord problem (BTW, I note that the Accord's sales figures for January show a continued slide in the current model's popularity).
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    What does everyone think the 2006 Honda Accord will have? I know it isn't up for the 8th generation until 2007, but I want to know what everyone thinks will be offered in the 2006 version.

I'm almost certain the engine will stay the same. There could be some minor exterior modifications.
  • mekeo21mekeo21 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder the same... I would hate to buy a 2005 in a few months and then see there are some cool features like the bluetooth or a improved navigation system. Anyone who could comment would be appreciated.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I wonder if they will add to the 2006 some tech they already have - like vehicle stability assist which is on the CR-V, Pilot, Ody and Ridgeline as well as Acura sedans.

How about variable cylinder management on the V6 non-hybrid a la Odyssey?

Finally - direct injection engine tech that is coming on the Civic for even better fuel economy.

The way I see it, the refresh will last model years 2006 and 2007 and the "all-new" version will arrive in 2008.

I too would be reluctant to buy an Accord till the 2006 revamp is known.
  • 3dd3dd Member Posts: 20
    It seems like the new styling gives less and less window areas, specially in the back.
  • scottimusprimescottimusprime Member Posts: 19
    I'm currently looking at both the Camry and the Accord for my next car. I haven't test-driven them yet but if it comes down to me wanting the Accord, I am hesitant to purchase a 2005. The revised 2006 model should come out sometime over the summer and I'd rather wait to see what sorts of changes will be made. I expect the typical facelift - revised headlights, grille, bumpers. The taillights were changed for 2005 (a year before the revision, much like what Honda did with the Civic). I'm hoping Honda will also add a few more standard features, like having the outside temp gauge available on all models (or at least the base EX... I don't see the point in excluding it from the list of standard features, and only making it available with leather).
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I think that this mid life freshening may turn out to be more extensive than is normal for Honda."

What like the resfreshening that Honda did with the 96 Accord? I don't think you can do that muuch to make the current model look better on the outside. I just don't see it.

"Sales are a bit off and major mistakes were made in the styling of the present model (at least in my opinion)."

I'm still amazed on how Honda missed the styling totally on the Sedan model. Honda usually doesn't usually miss on the styling that but this time they did and its hurting them bad. With the 94 Accord they made some mistakes with the rear end but the 94 Accord definately does not look as bad as the current generation model.

"The coupe needs more more work than the sedan. By giving the coupe a higher beltline and eliminating any sculpting on the door, Honda has made this car look too plump and slabsided."

I don't know the coupe at least doesn't have the rear end that the sedan has. To me they are just going in a diifferent direction with the 03 Coupe than they did with the 98 Coupe. They are going for the younger buyer alot more with the current coupe than the previous generation coupe. I don't care for he current coupe because there is just no standout area on the whole style of the car. Its not bad looking but the car itself does not stand out enough.

Another beef with the current Accord is they made the sedan model look like an American Car. I don't know Honda did not research enough for what what their core buyer wanted in terms of exterior styling before they debut the 03 Accord. Honda executed the styling well on the 86, 90, and 98 Accords and they sold great. The 03 I don't get what happened.
  • rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    I'm hoping Honda will also add a few more standard features, like having the outside temp gauge available on all models (or at least the base EX... I don't see the point in excluding it from the list of standard features, and only making it available with leather).

The reason the temperature gauge is available with leather seats is that all models with leather seats come with the auto climate control system. This system requires the outside temperature as one of its inputs.

It seems that it wouldn't be that hard to include this with all trim lines, especially since the display is in the odometer, not on the climate control system itself. But it is only about $100 if you want to add it (plus about an hour of your time to install).
  • chartster2chartster2 Member Posts: 15
    They have to do something with those tail lights. I thought the 03 & 04 ones were bad, but the new "all-red" ones are just plain terrible and really put the whole car over the edge in ugliness. I was planning on buying one next spring, but I just can't talk myself into it - the car (with the new tail lights) is that bad looking.
  • intrinsicdreamintrinsicdream Member Posts: 1
    i was just wondering- are you sure the revised 2006 honda's are coming out in the summer because im in the same predicament as you and im hoping that the revised accords look better
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    2007 for the 8th generation Accord. 2006 will only be a minor change.

Cruis'n in 6th,

MidCow
    I'm curious to see what 2006 will bring. But I don't think the taillights will change. I think Honda is doing the same thing to the Accord that they did with the current Civic - they changed the taillights on the Civic in 2003 and then did the normal "facelift" with new headlamps/grille/bumpers in 2004. I think the all-red taillights on the 2005 Accords will carry over on the 2006-2007 models. But they will revise the front end a bit. I'm tempted to buy a 2005 but I feel as though I should wait for the 2006 model.
  • willsmithwillsmith Member Posts: 2
    http://www.hondapreview.com/accord
    This website will lead u guys to the info on what will change in the 06 accord.And the taillights will change.
    I really hope Honda has some bigger changes than usual for this mid lifecyle freshening. Accord sales are off while Camry sales are up and I have yet to hear much positive in the way of styling reviews of this generation Accord. I have only heard ONE positive comment from anyone concerning the looks of the coupe. And that was a salesman! Its either "That looks like %^$&" or "Its okay, but it just needs something" or "That's the Accord coupe? It looks like a Cavalier", etc. I know that is strictly anecdotal, but I think its interesting none the less.
  • tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    Bluetooth and a gated shifter would be nice!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I hate gated shifters.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Yes, I agree real Honda 6-speeds are so so much
    better :)

MidCow, Crus'n in 6th, the Manual shift man
  • richrobrichrob Member Posts: 1
    I like the 2006 Honda Accord Hybred and am wondering if the next model (2007 or sooner) will have some additional features, such as a moon roof and electronic passenger seat? Will there be a electronic telescoping driving wheel? Memory driver's seat and heated steering wheel?
    I now have a 2004 Maxima and of the above features are on my car. Thank you.
    richrob:

Your post #22 puzzles me. The first Honda Accord Hybrids have only been in owners' hands in the USA since early December 2004, i.e. less than four months. Wouldn't you expect it to be premature for anyone on this board to have inside information about Honda's plans two years (or more) from now?
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    The Accord has a nice interior, drives well (better than a Camry) but the styling is bad. The Camry's styling is not too hot, but it does look better. We just don't like the light steering of the Camry (XLE or SE)compared to the Accord/Passat. Now all we need is a better looking Accord...hey it does exist, its called the Acura TL. We may buy a TL with NAV in the next few days.

We tried the G35 but didn't like the ride/interior. We also tried out the ES330 but it didn't handle any better than a Camry (light steering again). I hope the 2008 Accord looks better.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The new Hyundai Sonata looks like a better looking brother of the Honda Accord, except the Sonata will have stability control , traction control, fog lights, and 6 air bags standard equipment. A much better warranty and roadside assistance. Plus about $3000 cheaper.

Don't look back, Honda, Hyundai is getting ready to eat your lunch!
    We need a new car soon, I'm not sure if we can wait another 5 months. But then again, VSA sounds like a safety option we would like to have.

2006 Accord adds (?) :

- VSA/stability control (standard on 06 Sonata)
    - TPMS
    - Bluetooth (maybe with the 2008 Accord)
    - MP3 compatible CD player (available on 06 Sonata)
    - memory drivers seat
    - HIDs
    - exterior/interior changes (maybe the grille from the Inspire ?)

Last week we rented a Accord LX 4-cylinder for a few days and loved it. I'm not a fan of the styling but I can live with it (actually it began to grow on us). But we are curious about the 2006 model. Maybe we should take a look at the 2006 Sonata, have they arrived in the Hyundai showrooms :confuse:
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The Sonata will also have a compass included . . and will be in showrooms in about a month

www.hyundaisonata.com
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    Besides some minor faces changes, the 2006 Accord will have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). This is a NHTSA ruling that all 2006 model year passenger cars will have this feature as standard equipment. So look for the Accord, Civic, Insight to have this as standard equipment.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TirePresFinal/Index.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/nhtsa_tire_pressure.html
    There are some new spy shots floating around the net that show what people are speculating as the new '06 Accord. The shots are blurry but do show a radically-changed rear end. Granted this may not be the final design (hell, there still isn't even confirmation that it is in-fact the Accord), but I'm not sure if I like it. People keep saying that the Accord is due for a dramatic MMC - more changes than usual - but I dunno. I'll just have to wait and see. I'm thinking about getting an '06 Accord this fall, but I really have to see the car before I make up my mind. I sure hope they don't change the interior. I LOVE the Accord's interior.
  • heisnsteinheisnstein Member Posts: 45
    When Taurus redid their late 80s-early 90s design in '94, the resulting ovoid look pretty much took that car off of car buyers' radar screen and the model never recovered. Honda has more street cred than Taurus, but another bomb could be too much even for the Accord.

BTW, The Honda fan website vtec.net has just updated its "model matrix" page, which now says that both front end and rear end changes will be "extensive."

Scottimusprime, can you post the shots you say you saw?

thanks.
    But then again, as heisnstein stated above, vtec has changed it model release matrix listing extensive exterior changes to the 06 Accord. The rear looks a little like the Acura TL (the poster claims it had LED taillights) and bears a resemblance to the 06 Civic spyshot going around.
  • mastromastro Member Posts: 39
    I've tried every way I can think of, but I can not seem to find any images on the internet of a possible '06 Accord...what should I search for on the internet to get these spy shots? What I am finding is that the tail lights design will change....
  • willsmithwillsmith Member Posts: 2
    link title
    These are the images. The 2 images.And the license plate is the Ohio manufacturer plate. Remember,the accord is built in Ohio...or Maryland. The 1st image is really blurry. I heard it was taken by a camera phone.
    Why didn't the "spy" take a photo of the front. I didn't see any driver in the vehicle. :confuse:
    I think that the mention of the poor redesign of the Taurus in the mid '80's draws parallels with the last Accord redesign. I think both Ford and Honda were too arrogant to realize that they made big mistakes in the styling. Both cars were better from an engineering point of view than their predecessors, but if they don't look good, the public won't care. Honda gets a bit of a break on such things since many people will buy a car, even if they don't like the looks, because its a Honda.Thats unfortunate, since I know many people who have late model Taurus and they all say about the same thing. They love the cars and have had few, if any problems. With competition being what it is these days, a car company can't afford too many such styling mistakes, however.
    Both companies went overboard on the styling themes of these cars. Ford went oval-crazy on the Taurus. Its interesting to note that when they fixed this styling mistake, ovals were hard to find. Its as if the company heads said "if you put any ovals in the design, other than the grille, you will be fired!".
    Honda tried to capture a European look and did fairly well on the sedan until they put Buick tail lamps on the rear and a Japanese econ car look to the front end.
    On the coupe, though, they over used the slimplistic styling theme they used on the last generation coupe. They ended up with a car that looks like it is the starting point for the design of the coupe, not the finished product. It lacks the finishing details found on the sedan,or most European cars, but has a similar grille-less Japanese econo car front end. It must have taken all of ten minutes to come up with this car's styling.
    Judging from the styling of the car in these spy shots, Honda MAY have seen the error of its ways.Lost Accord sales, when Camry sales are up, may have shaken Honda up a bit. I certainly hope so. It would be interesting to see if they have put an honest to goodness grille on the car. It will also be interesting to see what they have done to the coupe, my preferred Accord. So, you folks near the Marysville and Columbus, Ohio areas, keep your eyes open and cameras ready!!!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Why didn't the "spy" take a photo of the front. I didn't see any driver in the vehicle.

I'm always suspicious of "spy" shots like this. Honda is super secretive about new models and changes. Why would they allow a new Accord/Civic/Anything be spotted parked in a shopping mall lot unless they wanted someone to spot it.
    about 1 mile from American Honda's corporate office in Hoffman Estates, Illinois (by Chicago). It looks like the techs driving the vehicle were either hungry or had to shop ! :confuse:
    That's IF it's actually a Honda.
    Yes, its strange that a refreshed 06 Accord would be parked at a shopping mall for the world to see. Its also strange that the person who took the pictures didn't take a photo of the front. But "spyshots" of the 06 Civic also surfaced this week as well so who knows :confuse:
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    I think this criticism of the Accord's styling is unmerited. It may not be the most beautiful car on the road, but it's handsome enough. What I really don't get is how everyone says the current styling of the Accord is directly responsible for a sales shift in Toyota's favor. What!?! The Jesus-fish shaped Camry is no pageant winner... I think it's far less stylish than the Accord, especially in coupe form. The Solara could be a Pontiac, for goodness' sake. The Camry is a success because of it's superior engineering and its reputation for quality. Honda has a similar reputation. Both cars are stylish enough to not embarass the driver, IMHO, and that's their selling point. Buyers of these cars are looking for conservative, not flashy design.
  • mi_satmi_sat Member Posts: 42
    I am in the same boat at you re: looking at camry and accord. Test drove both and the accord wins in my opinion (Camry had better features, but the steering was so light I couldn't feel the road, plus its engine has a short delay when I stepped on the gas).

The camry forum says that camry will be totally redesigned for MY2007, so you may want to read that forum if you haven't already.
    The 06 Accord will get VSA (stability control), DRLs and maybe automatic headlamps (all features available on the 05 Camry) according to some reports. Other new features / upgrades include a HP increase, TPMS, LED taillamps and possibly a stock MP3 compatible CD player.

The next-gen Camry could make its debut as early as next spring.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    published report says the 6-speed auto is confirmed, teamed with both the 4 and 6 cylinder.
    The 6-speed auto is confirmed for the Accord (and I assume the 06 TL will get it as well) ?!?
    Does it have Sequential SportShift and Grade Logic Control ?

So far the following features/changes are confirmed (or highly probable):

- Extensive front & rear changes
    - 10hp increase for both engines
    - 6-speed auto transmission (with SportShift ?)
    - Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
    - LED taillights
    - Heated side-mirrors
    - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), unkown if direct or indirect

The following features/changes are possible:

- Bi-xenon headlamps (Altima has xenons, next-gen Camry may get it)
    - MP3 compatible CD player/changer (06 Sonata has it)
    - Automatic doorlocks (Camry has it)
    - Automatic headlamps (Camry has it)
    - LED turn-signal blinkers (side-mirrors)
    - AUX minijack
    - rear sunshade (Camry has it)
  • mhainesmhaines Member Posts: 7
    How do you know this information? Where is it published. I was going to be a 2005 V6, but if there is going to be a 6-speed auto...that is huge! Let me know. I would like more info on this if possible.
  • 2728zimmern2728zimmern Member Posts: 6
    I would love to know where you got this information. I too was going to buy an 05 EX v6 because the prices are cheap. However, if the hp is increased and with a 6 speed, that is a big difference, to me anyway. Also, LED taillights would be pretty cool. So, please tell where you got this information. Thanks.
    I could understand your wanting to wait for the 2006 version of the Accord. But any specific changes from the 2005 are unknown to the general public at this early date. Any scuttlebut about extensive changes is purely speculation, and probably incorrect. Honda is not scheduled to make major changes to the Accord line after only three model-years in production. They are normally on a five-year cycle. That puts the extensive changes off to the 2008 model.
    The 6-speed automatic would be huge, better fuel economy (maybe 2-3 percent) & a smooth shifting, faster Accord. Someone posted a "spyshot" of what he claims is the refreshed 2006 Accord and the person who runs the board that shares its name with Honda engine technology believes it.

He also has info on the hp increase based on what Honda dealers know (and won't share with potential 05 Accord buyers of course). That website has been very reliable in the past about future Honda / Acura vehicles. I'm not 100 percent sure about the 6-speed auto since the poster above (#46) didn't list the "source". I do expect that the 06 TL will get it and both vehicles are made in the same place, so you can take it from there.

The competition is getting fierce for Honda and that may explain why they're bringing out the big guns for the MY2006 Accord. We'll see what happens but so far it appears like this MMC could be more extensive than usual.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    For more info, refer to the site below:
    Unfortunately I think Honda will introduce the European diesel Accord as a Acura TSX . I say unfortunately because that means they will load the car with luxuries that I myself find frivolous. I would rather have a base Honda Accord diesel that is premium priced just slightly above the 4 cyl. Accord!

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=39381&pg=1
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Is there anybody in here?

Based on this forum's lively response to a diesel accord, I can tell quite a few here feel diesel indifference.

In response to my last message I think a reasonably priced diesel accord would be a hit here in this continent(although not among the currrent forum members).
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Now you know why Honda is reluctant to bring the diesel Accord to North America.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Honda's biggest market is California. Since they, along with a few northeast states which probably represent another huge Honda market chunk, have set high emissions standards for diesel passenger vehicles. Until low sulpher diesel is avaialable, I don't forsee a diesel Honda in North America.
This discussion has been closed.