Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Another repair shop would be my suggestion.
    -Loren
    The Lucerne sits on the Deville chassis. Maybe it is a bit more reliable. I would imagine both to be average.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    I have just ordered my 4th new Buick a Lucerne. Have owned
    ONLY GM cars since I was a kid,(1Chevy,6Buicks)and recently
    tested Avalon and Azera before CHOOSING Lucerne for it's
    Comfortable ride and quiet cabin.

In contrast, while driving Avalon,I could NOT avoid feeling even minor road irregularites and hearing the engine scream when asked to accelerate just a little more than IT wanted. The Azera made a loud thud sound TWICE
    when the transmission shifted,later the sales person said "it was normal, and was learning how I drive". I said no thanks.

Have you read the enormous amount of problems with the transmissions in the Avalon as posted on the Toyota Edmunds forum ?

My present 1994 Park Avenue(bought new) has 155,300 miles on it, and we will be sorry to see it go. The paint is less
    than perfect, but the car's engine,transmission,etc,are ready for more miles,and more oil changes!

I have read most of the over 1500 messages posted here, with the positives FAR outweighing the negatives.
    Some, would like to see more "advanced engine+transmission combinations in place.

However,rarely has anyone posted such a TOTALY BLEAK and 100% NEGATIVE opinion about a quality car, that a GREAT NUMBER OF PEOPLE STILL CHOOSE TO BUY, and ENJOY for many,many years!
  • jwoodyjwoody Member Posts: 3
    We have had our Lucerne for 5000 miles and can't find anything wrong with it. The ride is quiet and very smooth. The handling and roadability make it fun and effortless to drive. The Lucerne is not for everyone however, I think one would be passing on an opportunity of owning a nice car to not consider it. BTW I drive 30,000 to 35,000 miles a year.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    I still don't believe it. I doubt the labor costs for replacing an alternator is in the neighborhood of $700.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    Yeah, that's why I had 195,000 on my first Camaro ('89), another 120,000 on my Buick Regal without any major problems (before I gave it to my parents), and haven't had any problems w/ a 2001 Camaro SS or my new Lucerne.
  • hondaandtoyotahondaandtoyota Member Posts: 8
    I agree. I was talking to a person at the local dealership (Toyota dealership) and he would agree that a majority of american cars are not well made. He said while driving his new american car "his steering wheel came off while driving home from the dealership." He will never buy another american car again.

Just telling another story that shows that GM needs to do something about there quality problems in order to increase there sales.
  • hondaandtoyotahondaandtoyota Member Posts: 8
    Well believe it. If you don't STILL then ask any one with good and i mean good knowledge about cars engines and they will tell you that engine was and still is a very expensive engine to work on.
    Another repair shop would be my suggestion.
    -Loren
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    You are way off base with your comments and I will leave it at that. The people I know feel the same way about your Japanese cars, but I don't go on their forums to spread negative propaganda.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I think you must have had the ill fated 3400 DOHC which was in some mid nineties Cutlasses, Montes and GP. Don't confuse this with the 3400 pushrod that is popular now. You had to take one of the CV shafts off and possibly jack the engine up to replace the alternator, because it was located near the bottom of the motor. Much labor costs, small parts costs. I have heard of $700 to change an alternator in a DOHC Monte.
    Please read my message #1511,-------No on second thought this POSITIVE,TRUE info would not change your position.

This forum is titled "Buick Lucerne", and seeks REAL positive and negative comments ON THIS CAR.
    People take some of their time to read and talk about THIS CAR
    before they buy it (or not).

It is NOT called "the anti GM Forum".

Look at it this way, many readers would AGREE with you about the
    hondaandtoyota, if you post in THOSE Forums!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Yes, I agree. There are several discussions in Automotive News & Views concerning GM and other manufacturers. Let's keep the topic here about the Lucerne.

Thanks for your cooperation!

PS: You can find the Auto News forum by using the "browse by board" drop down to your left.
  • bumpygreensbumpygreens Member Posts: 4
    With the '07 in production are any dealers or GM cutting deals? We'd rather wait for the next model than pay almost full price for a soon-to-be one "year" old.
  • jef4jef4 Member Posts: 11
    I e-mailed GM concerning the 2007. Production started today and the vehicles should arrive in the showrooms in 6-8 weeks. They wrote "We have not received pricing quite yet...We do not expect pricing to change dramatically from 2006." So I would assume the dealers would begin cutting deals when they get the new pricing.
  • pier6brawlpier6brawl Member Posts: 3
    One of the reasons I am gonna go with the Lucerne instead of G6. Big guitar amps do not fit in the smaller cars unless it is a coupe.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I've moved several off topic posts and placed them in a new discussion in Auto News. You can find it by searching for Top 20 "Lemon" Cars.
    It's rare to find things going on sale IF they are selling very well already.

Lucerne's "end of model year pricing" offers you a $1500
    rebate, untill the end of June.
    IF you plan to keep the car a long time I have been told it's a good deal.
    Only a heated steering wheel and 2 new exterior colors and more two-tone interior color schemes, await in 2007 models.

Rebates in Sept.-Oct.?? GM does not say now , but I would
    think it to be more like $500 IF THEY CHOOSE to do anything. at all.
  • taximom3taximom3 Member Posts: 4
    I'm needing to buy another new car, we just bought the Acrua TL, I came out of a Cad.Seville, Loved it but it only had 70,000 miles on it and we were looking at a oil repair of 28 hundred dollars after putting 4 thousand in a couple of months before,car was well maintained. I have a bad back and the acrua is reeking havoc on it.

I looked at the Lucerne and I was very impressed,have not been on a test drive yet. I'm in my late 40s, and I think its a beautiful car,but.........is'nt it a northstar engine and will it be the same problem that other caddy owners and myself had with the oil thing around 70 thousand miles.

Has anyone heard that it is loud at high speeds and a little light ?
    Thanks for your time and input :confuse:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I am not sure how common the oil related problem is with the Northstar. I have always heard good things about them. If you don't need the extra power I would stick with the standard 6 cylinder engine. The 2007 model I believe has an engine change of some sort which I am sure someone on the forum will explain in more detail.
    We drove the Lucerne CXL with the V6 and V8(Northstar)
    The car seats can be had with adjustable lumbar supports.
    I have read that a new "engine cradle" was designed for
    the V8 to further reduce vibrations from reaching the cabin.
    The V8 WAS more fun to drive but it raises the price about 2K and gets about 25mpg where V6 gets 29mpg,highway. I think the vast majority of Lucernes will be sold V6 equipped and it DOES have enough power for most any situation. Obviously it's YOUR choice and that's part of the fun!

If you read some of the previous messages in this forum,
    many of us (me included) praise the LONG trouble-free life of the V6(3800)motor. I have 155k on my V6,
    ( NO major repairs at all!)
    The Northstar has been around long enough that by now all
    "bugs" should be out and yearly refinements are implemented.

We ordered CX as we insist on cloth seats. (lumbar support not avail)

No the V8 was not loud nor did the car feel light at higher speeds,in fact it's so quiet it would be easy to get a speeding ticket if you dont watch the speedometer!
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    The GM website says in my area $1500 plus 2.9 interest

http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle_shopping/currentoffers/SE_Consumer_IOU.html-

On the engine issue, while mileage is similar the Northstar is alot more expensive to work on but more then that I don't want an engine that runs on premium fuel....granted the Northstar is a blast to drive :)
    That Ford is offering 0 for 60 months on ALOT of their models. I wonder if GM in its current state can do that. I think I'll wait and see what happens after next week.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Last I recall seeing re: North Star V8 & fuel . .
    From media.GM.com on the 2006 Lucerne:
    "premium recommended but not required"

So - sounds like you can have good performance & save money or pay more and have more performance.
    - Ray
    Solidly in the "more performance" camp . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Maybe not required but the people I know with them tell me they're undriveable on regular. I hate when a 35K car knocks and runs rough. If I opted for the Northstar I certainly wouldn't skimp on the gas. I don't run regular in my Harley.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    That Ford is offering 0 for 60 months on ALOT of their models. I wonder if GM in its current state can do that. I think I'll wait and see what happens after next week.

Why wait. Got to your GM dealer this week and get the same rate.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Have owned my Ming Blue Lucerne about 7 months. The 3800 V6 is one of the greatest engines - bulletproof, and almost silent at speed in the Lucerne. Mileage has averaged around 22 in town, 26-27 hwy - not quite as high as my 2002 LeSabre, but then again the Lucerne is about 250 lbs. heavier (probably from all that sound insulation!)Actually, I had a current Lexus owner in the car the other day and he remarked how eerily silent the Lucerne is. I agree with loyal buick fan that the 16" wheels and base suspension is the smoothest combo - another reason why I went with the CX model.
    GM has zero financing this week? If they do they are certainly keeping it a secret in the southeast region :)
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. said Tuesday that for a short time it
    will offer zero percent financing for up to six years on many of its
    cars and trucks as it tries to clear inventory off lots in preparation
    for the new model year.

Company officials said the financing would be offered on Chevrolet,
    Buick, Pontiac and GMC models during a sale that begins Thursday and
    ends July 5.
    Cool I hope that includes the Lucerne, one of the bright spots in GM's lineup.
    Ford didn't offer it on their better sellers
  • krhokrho Member Posts: 1
    I rented a Lucerne at National Rent-a-Car in Washington (Dulles) over the weekend. It was a platinum CXL V-6 with the "Driver Confidence" package, a 40/20/40 bench seat and XM radio. It had 1,300 miles and I added about 280 to the total over three days. This was during a period of continuous rain, I might add. My impressions:

Excellent highway manners, even in the rain. The traction control and ABS worked fine. I found it a bit ponderous to park and maneuver around smaller spaces, but I drive a Honda Accord at home so there's my bias. I also found the visibility to be a little lacking, especially around the very thick A-pillars. It did feel well-controlled and much more responsive than Buicks of the past.

I liked the interior a lot; the quality of materials was much better than any GM car I've seen. It wasn't hot in D.C. so the leather (titanium, non-perforated) felt fine to me. No squeaks or rattles were heard. The displays and controls were easy to learn. I did not like the "old school" tilt steering column without a telescoping feature or infinite adjustability. As expected the climate-control worked flawlessly (but GM has always excelled in this area).

Loved the harmon-kardon speakers and sound system. XM plus my Zen audio player was a godsend while sitting in traffic. I also loved the rain-sensing wipers. The rear parking assist was also a nice tool when adjusting to that big back end!

I was about 90% impressed; it felt safe and confident in bad weather and I got 22 mpg in mostly suburban and slow highway driving. And it looked great in those colors.
  • togadelictogadelic Member Posts: 21
    lucerne can't be had with cloth?
    Yes but just in the CX edition
  • vantheman1vantheman1 Member Posts: 18
    hi i am aware of the current 0 percent financing offer through the holiday weekend...does anyone know if the $1500 rebate or incentive is still in play in addition to the 0 percent...i think it was 2.9 percent plus the 1500 rebate before the current deal....thanks....
    can't get the big engine with cloth then can you?
    GM website is showing the 0% finacing but not mentioning the rebate so I assume its off....

http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle_shopping/currentoffers/SE_Consumer_IOU.html-
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    CU tested the Lucerne in the current issue and compared it to Hyundai, Accord, and Camry. Obviously it came in last although it is a much larger car than the first place winner - Accord. This is typical of the CU bias against American cars. Read the article. It also has a test of the DTS -lousy handling, soft seats -uncomfortable on long trips, etc. I have an '03 Deville and take 12 hour drives in it -no back strain at all. Great seats. I get 30 on the road and the engine has plenty of pickup. I've had several cars with the "noisy, rough" 3800. It is the best engine GM makes and is quiet and gets great gas mileage. I'm about to cancel my subscription to this liberal Japanese-biased rag. By the way, I briefly had one of CU's favorites - an '06 Camry Solara SLE convertible. Rode like a truck -my '01 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to it- convertible flex except on glass smooth roads. I managed to dump it in a month.
    Agree completely.
    The Avalon ride does not begin to come close to Lucerne. I felt every tar strip,seam, and patch, in the road,(Forget about potholes.)
    Ride is my #1 priority,then quiet, then performance.I hope I give Lucerne a compliment when I say it's ride is "Limo-like". For those who want to take the exit ramp faster ,CXL,or CXS awaits.

When I first read your message I thought YOU were saying
    the 3800 engine was "noisy and rough" but in a re-read I
    know you mean this is the unique view of CU.
    I've had that engine for 12 years and just bought another!
  • drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    I thought my experiences re the above subject line might be of interest to readers on this board.

I own an '06 Chevy Impala LTZ (almost completely loaded) that I bought last Sept, 12K miles to date and I love driving it. However, even at this early juncture in my ownership I'm considering an upgrade to something with a larger rear seat (my main complaint about my Impala), more comfortable seating overall, and a few more creature comforts. And I happen to like an "American car ride". The Lucerne CXS thus made its way onto my shopping list.

I test drove a Lucerne CXS loaded with just about everything I would want, except the tester didn't have a sunroof nor the touch screen nav/stereo system. Still, enough to get the impressions I needed.

I found the driving experience to be about what I expected. Comfy and roomy interior, front and rear (I stand 6'3" and tote just over 300 lbs), somewhat floaty but quite acceptable ride and handling, and the dash/controls sharing equipment with my Impala's (albeit with a few more internal features), and since I really like my Impala's controls, a familiar and positive review on that front as well. Great sound system, too (love the HK over my Impala's Bose). And yet, the Lucerne is now off my shopping list. Why?

I had read in the reviews and also on these forums that the Lucerne, esp with the V8 squeezed under the hood, sacrificed turning radius. I pulled my tester into what I considered to be an average parking lot and gave it the test there. Sure enough, it took me 4 moves to complete what would be a typical 2-turn turnaround maneuver for my Impala or just about every other car I've driven. I got back behind the wheel of my Impala and reflected upon my Lucerne test drive, and while I enjoyed every other aspect of it, I couldn't get past this low-speed, limited-space maneuverability shortcoming. I also couldn't help thinking in comparison, "Gee, I really like how my Impala drives and handles."

Everyone's got their own aspects of a car that they consider "less than positive but I can deal with it", vs. "this is a showstopper", and I surprised myself to find that this seemingly-minor shortcoming in the Lucerne was my showstopper.

I'm shying away from the Avalon at this point due to the repeated reports of reliability issues (at least by previous Toyota and Avalon model standards (I owned a '95 Avalon several years ago)), and the Azera isn't up to my creature/feature standards just yet (I'm VERY discriminating about my sound system req'ts, XM and iPod input capabilities, etc.), and I'm not sure I'm ready to break the $36K price barrier for the obvious choices above that. So for now, it's "Onward, Impala..."

Discussion?
    buick has the common sense to keep offering bench seats

those dumbarses at ford (I used to be a ford guy) have gone giant console on ALL of their cars but the crown vic
    the large car SHOULD be a growing market

larger consumers that drive all the trucks as commuter vehicles when they don't really use them as trucks will start going to larger cars because they can fit and the mpg just makes more sense
  • sgtslatesgtslate Member Posts: 16
    Well I finally decided on a new car and it is a brand new loaded up 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL in the stealthy Sharkskin color. I test drove so many cars and this one had every gadget I wanted and drives so quiet. My Lucerne is loaded with almost all the options. Navigation, Remote start, Air conditioned seats, etc. I was a hard core Japan Honda/Toyota fan but GM sucked me back in with this beatiful sedan. Well the zero percent interest didn't hurt either. Even though I am still euphoric over my new purchase, I am really happy with it and think I made the right decision. bravo GM on a really classy car!
    when will it get the new tranny?
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Probably will not get one.
    Yes I have 4 American choices,that I had to narrow to one,and it too may have a problem.

Buick Lacrosse same platform as Impala. Has a premium 3.6L
    engine with a text book flat torque curve, that might be great to drive.However it's still MID-size and has standard radio.

Caddy CTS 3.6L engine with 5 speed auto,BOSE high-end audio
    but still is a MID-size car.

Finally as I've only owned GM cars I hesitate to suggest #3&4

Mercury Grand Marquis RWD has THE MOST INTERIOR ROOM
    We all know it's old school design and would need a radio aftermarket upgrade.

Chrysler 300 Touring FULL-SIZE Sedan 250HP V6, with 5speed auto. It has a 276 watt Boston Acoustics Radio with Sirius Sattelite option.
    I think this version retails for less than 30K.This car has an exceptionally long wheelbase ,and think it affects turning radius,which is large also at 1or2 feet less than Lucerne?

Remember when selecting the sunroof option you give up 2 INCHES of headroom.

Car shopping was easier when we had a few more American
    choices like Olds88,Pontiac Bonneville,etc.

Keep readers here informed,Thanks.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    my innocent inquiry a few pages back (on V-6 vs. V-8) generated a lot of posts - all of them very helpful. All in all, I'm getting ever more interested in Lucerne!
    the chrysler 300 doesn't offer bench seats though does it?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I believe the look of the blacked out grill is preferred over the chromed grill. In the 2003 models the Celebration Edition had the blacked out grill--sportier look or cooler look, whichever way you want to say it.

Don't shoot the messenger please. I own one with the blacked out grill. They're all plastic, I assume, just chrome coated.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

buick forums out there that deal with buick like hondasuv?
    do you have to use premium gas?