Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• retirednurseretirednurse Member Posts: 1
    I want Buick to pay attention to my complaint of sudden engine failure on interstates with our 2006 Buick Lucerne. My letter to GM's CEO was received by GM on July 10th at 2:51 but no reply has been received by today. Five repair departments have been involved-the two recurrent problems -one above plus four episodes of not starting or even cranking seem to keep involving the wiring harness. Two repair depts genuinely felt they "fixed" the problem and we trusted them at first. Now we are involved with the original dealer who is fluffing us off-this car is a major hazard to us and others. We want a fair resolution. Suggestions beyond notifying BBB and NHTSA as stated in the manual is needed. We have an over $30,000 car sitting in our garage-useless because I am terrified to drive it on the highway.
  • jrodenjroden Member Posts: 8
    I got a used CXL a few weeks ago and so far like it a lot. It is quiet and comfortable and rides very nicely. The mpg's are about 24 with mixed driving. The handling is not great, I think the suspension would benefit maybe from different shocks or springs, when the time comes I'm sure there will be some aftermarket options. I wish the rear seat folded forward to allow trunk access, that's really cheesy on an expensive car like this. I'm going to get 16 inch mounted snows for the winter, the 17's were really pricey
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    On 2008 Lucernes there will be 3 new (Safety Related) options available on all models.
    (#1 is Standard on CXS)

1- Vehicle Stability Control ( Part of Option Group# PCI)

GM calls this"StabiliTrac".

This technology has proven itself in all brands of autos by greatly reducing automobile related injuries.
    Furthermore to some degree ,VSC may help avoid getting into the accident in the first place!

2- A Side blind spot Alert system (Option# UFT)

3- A Lane departure warning system ( Option UFL)
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68

后视镜贴的钻钻和我最- 最爱的HELLOKI- TTY西西^_^

C计划图片(已完- 成)

5月28日车车已经从&#289- 00;房出来了,正在安装玻&#29- 827;和内饰

下面是我最喜欢的- 引擎盖,实物真的是超&#32423- ;漂亮的喜欢死了呢,好&#2148- 7;爱,我想在高速上如果&#243- 20;引擎盖修车的话可能&#202- 50;引起交通事故吧.嘿嘿^_^

5月30日手机拍&#30340- ;我家欧欧,明天就去&#19978- ;身份了明天还要改轮&#27586- ;和换扁平轮胎大号的

下面是操控台的钻- 钻细节以及后视镜上的- 贴钻

新赔付的大灯之前- 的有点松了

D计划图片(已完成&#6530- 2;月4日图片更新)

我和哥哥的车车合- 照

车尾的细节限量的- HELLOKITTY- 车标,做工很细致是正- 版货,颜色也很闪,另- 外candy是我的英文名车子&#3- 0340;拉花还在寻找中......

下面是轮胎和轮毂- ,米齐林的扁胎胎,换- 的比原车大的轮毂了,- 所以胎要换成扁的咯,- 真闪真好看

我最爱的HELLOK- ITTY

杯架,太阳能摇摇- 乐,日本限定草莓熊的- KITTY,帽子可以- 拿下来,超可爱~

• 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    Is the Lucerne rear wheel drive? If not, why snow tires. I lived in Michigan for decades and didn't run snow tires on a van.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    Lucerne for 2008 remains FWD - have driven both the CXL V6 and the CSX V8 - really liked the power and handling of the V8.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    Anyone know why the Lucerne is still not offered with GM's newest V6 and six speed automatic. Saturn has had it for a year and even the new malibu offers it as an option. Since Buick is offered up as a premium brand (at least compared to chevy) why is GM withholding this engine/transmission option. They could at least offer the six speed with the current 3800 series engine assuming the two are compatible. What gives?
  • aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    TO JIMMY2X---I drive a v8 and i found that the v8 drives and handles much better than the v6. one reason being that the v8 has MAGNETIC VAR ASSIST STEERING' which seems to stop the wandering and drifting - which I noticed in the V6. Along with "STABILITRAK", the ride and steering is very good!! I am very satisfied.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    There is no 3800/6speed combo at GM and to put the two together would be very expensive in Engineering and development. Being that the 3800 only has about 2 more years of life and is only used in two lower volume vehicles (LaCrosse/Lucerne) the 6 speed with the 3800 is not going to happen.

As far as replacing the 3800 with one of the other engines (3.6 would be great) that would depend on how long the Lucerne is going to be around in its current FWD platform. Since it also will be replaced in the '10 time frame it is doubtful they will stick in a new engine. But it could happen if the Lucerne sticks around a bit longer since the 3800 plant will be closing in the next year or so.
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    This comes STANDARD in GM vehicles costing $20K. Yet a loaded up CXS with an 8 costing $40K Does NOT have it. The new 08' Cadillac CTS does NOT have it either. One must blow $8K on an option package to get it. No wonder why GM is on the brink of dying. And NO 6-speed tranny on the 08' Lucerne either. Man, this company has its head up its --- for sure.
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    From what I understand these cars are remote start ready so it really only takes $150 to buy the remote and activate the system. No $8K option PKG required.

I have a 2007 Lucerne CXL with the V6. Sure it could use more power and a 6 speed but the car works fine. Most of the time I'm stuck in DC beltway traffic doing 15mph anyway. I like the car. YMMV :shades:
    This comes STANDARD in GM vehicles costing $20K. Yet a loaded up CXS with an 8 costing $40K Does NOT have it. The new 08' Cadillac CTS does NOT have it either. One must blow $8K on an option package to get it. No wonder why GM is on the brink of dying. Man, this company has its head up its --- for sure.

OK, now that you have your diatribe in, which of the Lucerne CXS competitors have the remote start even available? Not sure why these higher end GM cars do not have it standard and it probably does not make sense to us but then again the competition does not even have it. I do not believe Toyota not to mention Lexus has them.

Perhaps it is inexcusable to not have the 6 speed but then again Toyota does not have a 6 speed in most of its vehicles either. They sell mostly 5 speeds and GM is passing them with the use of 6 speeds available in most of its new cars.

And oh yea, GM is not on the brink of dieing.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I think he just can't deal with the fact that more is not always better. Not in the case of transmissions.

If you have a slow to rev V8, well, you need FEWER gears because it has a flat torque curve and takes a long time to wind up. You'll note that Nascar only has 4 gears. Not 6 or 10. Why? Tons of power and no desire to lug the engine.

Conversely, a small car like the S2000 needs all six gears - probably 7 to hear most peolpe talk. It has a sweet spot RPM-wise that's very narrow.

GM is smart to keep from getting into the numbers game, especially since repairs are becoming as expensive now as most German cars wer a decade ago. $3500-$4000 for a 6 speed Toyota automatic? Yikes. That's almost as bad as having to replace the batteries on a Prius. It's just not normal maintainence cost in my book.
    I think he just can't deal with the fact that more is not always better. Not in the case of transmissions.

yes and no. GM was very deficient when it did not start developing a 5 speed auto 10 years ago. Product planning wanted one asap but the development money was just not there.

Luckily once GM beancounters finally saw the writing they did the right thing by skipping the then state of the art 5 speed and went right to the 6 speed. Today GM sells more 6 speeds than either Toyota or Honda volume wize and next year will probably sell more than Toyota and Honda combined.

Yes GM still has a few models that should have a 6 speed to be competitive but they are either being replaced by a 6 speed soon or are models that will be replaced soon.
    I'm not looking forward to a $4000 repair bill. Given that the transmission is only $1500-$1800 or so more than a manual(when a manual is offered), there is an enormous amount of gouging going on as well.
  • b88lazerb88lazer Member Posts: 21
    Remote start is standard on the Lucerne CXS and has been since the 2006 model. My 2007 has it and it works just fine.
    aquaknott2000

Do you find the seats comfortable on long hauls? have read that some have problems with the seat heaters - too hot. Your experience??
    think he just can't deal with the fact that more is not always better. Not in the case of transmissions.

If you have a slow to rev V8, well, you need FEWER gears because it has a flat torque curve and takes a long time to wind up. You'll note that Nascar only has 4 gears. Not 6 or 10. Why? Tons of power and no desire to lug the engine.

Agreed and thank you. The herd mentality preaches that any car that uses a 4speed transmission is woefully behind the power curve without taking into account the entire package. I've driven the CSX and it is as smooth as silk.
    Now, to be honest, the Northstar Buick is using needs DI or a supercharger or something to make a bit more power, but it's a good engine, IMO, and should be considered the normal one(as opposed to the underpowered wimpy 3800 they put in the budget models)
  • jh1977jh1977 Member Posts: 40
    I can't understand why the Lucerne does not have the 3.6 liter V6 engine with the 6 speed auto. transmission for model year 2008. I agree with you 100 Percent that the Lucerne should have the 3.6 Liter 6 speed auto. trans. for the 2008 model year as an optional engine/transmission. If the Chevy Malibu can have it for 2008 as an option, the Buick Lucerne which is suppose to be a premium brand automobile should have it to. All of the Lucerne's competitors for model year 2008 (Taurus, Sable, Charger above the base V6 engine, Chrysler 300 Above the base V6 engine and Avalon) have V6 engines with more far more HP than the 3800 V6 Lucerne (197 HP). I believe if the Lucerne had the 3.6 Liter 6 speed auto. transmission as an optional engine/transmission its sales would increase.
  • jef4jef4 Member Posts: 11
    I find the seats uncomfortable. I have a 2007 Lucerne with bench seats. I am 6' 4" tall and with a bad back. After a couple of hours in this car I can barely get out due to back pain. I had the chiropractor sit in the car to find the problem. He said that my hips are always lower than my knees. I can't move the seat to its highest position because GM made sure that my head would hit the roof. (I couldn't get a sun roof). I could also correct the problem If I could move the seat back more (which of course I can't). I have eased the pain somewhat by sitting on a pillow.I wish the seat was more comfortable because I do love this car.
  • aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    Since I live in a very hot climate, I haven't had many occasions to use the heated seats. The times i did use them I didn't have any noticable over heating problems, but I used them on the lowest setting.
    My only complaint about the seats is that I can't raise them high enough.
    I've driven the CSX and it is as smooth as silk.

No such thing. CXS :P
    No such thing. CXS

Sometimes my typing skills leave a lot to be desired, ;)
    I find the seats uncomfortable. I have a 2007 Lucerne with bench seats. I am 6' 4"

Sometimes I'm glad that I'm only 5'10
    I really like my Lucerne, I find the V6 is powerful enough for normal driving and delivers outstanding mileage, especially on the highway where it lopes along at 28mpg, maybe 24-25 for mixed driving. I don't think the 4 speed is a huge issue either, it seems like that engine has a pretty flat torque curve. It seems like the auto writers really want cars to get up and go, I just want to drive around like a normal person.

I find the car handles kind of strangely. Especially on a sweeping turn like an off ramp, it may be a tire issue or something else, the car feels rubbery and tends to dart from side to side. I can live with it just fine, but if shocks or tires would address it, I'd be tempted to go this route.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    How is the wear on your tires?
    What pressures are you running the fronts at?
    Has the car been aligned?--if I read your previous post right you bought a CXL and it was used. So I'm wondering how much tread is left on the tires. Low pressure especially fronts could make it skitting. I like 33-35 in my LeSabres with Michelins when the factory says 30. But alignment could be real factor.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

It feels aligned right, I'm at 32 psi and the car has 22K miles w/ original tires, they seem to be in good shape. I believe it may be design related as the handling of this car seems to get mentioned a lot, especially the non-V8 model w/o the magnatrack. It's not a problem, just a quirk of this particular car.

The other 2 little dislikes is the trunk hinges that protrude into the tunk space and the lack of a fold down rear seat to open the trunk up for carrying more junk. I really like the car for comfy highway driving, which is what I bought it for, plus it's safe.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    Just wondering if anyone here 'traded down' to the Lucerne from a more expensive or big name marque - Lexus, Cadillac, M. Benz, Jaguar, BMW, etc.
  • 0to60in15mins0to60in15mins Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 06 CX used. As we came in and sat at the salesmens desk for delivery, I was able to look at the paper work left sitting on the table and saw that some person traded an 05 Lexus (forgot the model) for a 08 Lucerne. They have him 21k for the 05 Lexus with 15k on the clock and charged him 28k for 08 CXL. Had I not see the deal in writing I would not have believed it.

Yes it does happen Lexus to Lucerne.
    From Lexus to Buick does not surprize me since many of the Lexus buyers came from Buick. The age group is the same. The comfort type ride is the same. Now MB or BMW would be a much harder sell.

Many Camry buyers also came form Buick.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I think I should be on a commission for Buick. One friend of the family traded in her 4 year old gold badged Lexus on a CXL V8 after riding in our Lucerne. Said she liked driving the Lucerne better and thought it was more comfortable and looked better.
    Then the same thing happened to this woman. One of her friends traded her 2004 Accord for a CXL V6 after a ride in the Buick.
    Our insurance agent traded a 2002 Caddy for a Lucerne CXL V6. I won't take that much credit for this one because he had been looking at them for a year, but he did ask many questions of me after we bought ours. He said he saved thousands over a new Caddy and bought nearly the same car, since they are on the same platform.
    If that was not enough, the next door neighbor traded her 2002 Lesabre for a CXL V6, after liking ours so much. She unnecessarily apologized for getting the same make and model we got for the last two cars, but did make a point of telling us she did not get the same color on purpose, even though she liked ours better. I was happy she chose a Lucerne. Now my job is convincing her not to put one of those horrible fake convertible tops on it, like every car she has owned for the last 20 years.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    thank you all for the feedback. :D
  • estamperestamper Member Posts: 1
    The noise you are experiencing sounds like the one I had. It drove me crazy! It sounded like a vibration on or around the rear window shelf area. I finally found the problem by crawling into the trunk with a flashlight and closing the trunk. Not to worry -- there is an emergency trunk release inside the trunk. The problem was caused by the two spring tension rods that run between the trunk hinges. With the trunk closed -- the rods were close enough to vibrated against each other. I took an 8" length of rubber vacuum hose with an inner diameter the same size as the tension rod (purchased from the local car parts store) and sliced it length-wise with a razor blade. Then I slipped it over one of the tension rods at the point where they are riding against each other. Lock the piece of hose in place with two or three nylon tie-straps and that should do it.
  • rmellormello Member Posts: 11
    Build a fuel gauge that works correctly, the same as all other Buicks ever built.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Is 2008 the last year for the 3800 Series III engine for the Lucerne and Lacrosse? Or no? Please help me.
    Not sure about the Lucerne but the LaCrosse should have the 3800 till the new model.
  • paradox2paradox2 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 Lucerne and will never buy another again. It is
    such a downgrade from my 2000 LeSabre. Problems in order from new:
    Transmission cover leak
    Headliner fell out
    Trunk release Dead
    Scratches on paint.
    Car on had almost 0 miles on it.

Since then:
    Vibration issues..still rides like a tank on the highway even though the dealer put new tires and worked on the problem extensively.
    Pulls to the left.
    Memory mirrors dead
    Bottom molding nearly fell off..was held on by one clip instead of four.
    Rear door electrical connect loose.
    Inspection plate on transmission loose.
    Dash lights not working on bright days.
    Clunk noise in steering
    Driver door creaking
    Twice. now...no electrics, no start. No nothing.
    Six CD changer noise
    Remote start... Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    Heated seats.. Sometime it works, sometimes not

And the latest...a noise in the transmission like keys rattling. Dealer says it is terribly noisy and annoying but come back when it gets worse. He really means, come back when the warranty is up.

Like we try to forget bad memories, I probably have forgotten some other problems. The car is noisy, with unexplained clunks and bangs, and wind noise is so bad, I sometimes think I have left a window down or door ajar. The vehicle has been back to the dealer so many times, I am sure it has its own dedicated garage bay.

I have owned Buicks all my life. My wife still drives our 2000 LeSabre as we could not bear to part with such a nice car that gave us no trouble at all. 160,000 miles and everything is original except the oil, the plugs and wires.

The Lucerne is my last Buick and probably my last GM. If GM changed the LeSabre/Park Avenue to the Lucerne to compete with the Lexus, they did a very poor job. Lexus will be getting my Lucerne as a trade, it they will even take the piece of junk.
    Geez, I wish that were the case for my Lucerne. Mine is garbage..... I can list you 20+ things wrong with mine, some of which have been corrected after numerous visits to the dealer, and others that they cannot/will not fix. Wack on the head...I 'shuda' bought a Lexus.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    I know this is going to sound odd, but has anyone else seen any unexplained roof dings in their car? I now have 2, the second just coming in the past few weeks. I realize it's most likely from a branch falling on the car, but I've noticed no evidence of that happening, and certainly haven't had anything hit the car while I was driving it. I now have about 33,000 miles on the car, and other cars that I've parked in the same spot haven't had this issue, at least not without leaving noticeable debris. Also, the dings seem to be far smaller and precise that what is normal from a falling branch.
    On some cars in the past there was a piece of rubber rube around one torsion bar. It was about 6 inches long or less--just enough to keep them from touching. I'll bet yours should have had one from the factory. That would cause a noise in an area hard to diagnose and you would only hear it under certain bumps and movements while driving!

On some cars in the past there was a piece of rubber rube around one torsion bar. It was about 6 inches long or less--just enough to keep them from touching. I'll bet yours should have had one from the factory. That would cause a noise in an area hard to diagnose and you would only hear it under certain bumps and movements while driving!

Some cars I've had in the past had a 6 inch piece of rubber around the middle of the bar to keep it from making a noise against the other one. Maybe yours should have had it from the factory or it got knocked off somehow.

• wdhess01wdhess01 Member Posts: 1
    I chose the Buick Lucerne as my business car and have only two major complaints. Both are simple design flaws:

I am on the road a lot and usually have a beverage while driving. The front seat cupholders are too shallow to hold a large cup of coffee in place when cornering. Ouch...A large cup of Starbucks really burns!

When the windows are rolled down even a crack when it is raining, water rolls off the top and pours into the car onto the door instrument controls, front seat and me.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,054
    How about putting the lower decklid chrome molding on ALL models, standard? I think the difference in the look of the rear of the car is changed many times for the better with the simple addition of this molding.

Bill
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • oldguy8oldguy8 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone had trouble with the outdoor temp. sensor?
    Mine sometimes registers a false reading.
  • joemc4joemc4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks, 5000 miles ago i traded a 2001 Toyota Avalon for a 2007 Lucerne. Toyota was the base model with 35,000 miles and the Lucerne was bought used with 22,000 miles. I have the v6 Lucerne with leather. As many others have said the seats in the Avalon were terrible, driving to Fla was torture till i bought one of those heated vibrating seats. The ride far better in the Buick, the handling better in the Toyo. Around town mileage is slightly better in the Toyota and the Buick better on the highway. The leg room is far better for me in the Buick, i was so sick of that foot rest on the inside left wheel housing of the Toyo. The Toyota was a decent car, but vastly overated. Had it in twice for air conditioner work which was not cheap and other repair issues. Maintained the Toyo per the book, which again is expensive. For my money, noting the difference in model years, upkeep and comfort the Lucerne is far superior to the Avalon. As others have said, reliability is not an issue with Buicks and Consumer Reprts agree's.
  • joemc4joemc4 Member Posts: 2
    By the way, when Volvo was caught during that now infamous staged car demonstration they were using 2x4's not plywood to strengthen their Volvo and the roof pillars