Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

1262728293032»

Comments

• sgtdevlinusmcsgtdevlinusmc Member Posts: 13
    Got a "final" offer from GM to make me go away; it is $4000. A far cry from a buyback, eh what? My attorney's office is processing paperwork; however, I took the el presidente's advice and went to another dealership. The service manager sat in the car, started it up, and rev'd it up to 1500 rpms. Yep. Good old vibration right on cue. You could use the car for a sex toy (almost). He confimed that vibration is not normal; it is a definite problem in the engine; he will take it into his shop on Monday and attempt to correct the problem. I must pause here in this saga because up until now all of the GM people just couldn't seem to feel that this was a problem and the car was performing as designed LOL. Here was someone actually confirming that this is a problem. I kind of got the impression that the negotiations with GM were skewed by the Mr. Badwrenches who had worked on the car previously and was funneling bum info back to GM corporate HQ. I told the new service manager on my quest about all of the previous efforts to fix the problem and he kind of brushed them off saying that he would go ahead and contact GM on Monday and go from there. At this point I do not know where I stand with the $4K payoff. I am darn sure that I am not going to bend over for GM and let them shirk their responsibilities for repairing the car under their warranty. And I am considering backing off from the proposed $4k settlement in deference to having the engine problem corrected. This whole fiasco was the result of poor procedure on the part of the dealership's service people from the get go. This whole thing gets crazier and crazier. But then there is the upcoming backruptcy of GM and its effect on their abililty to continue to service their cars under the GM warranty. They do not have the necessary funds to provide this service and with the talk that they are going to dump around 1500 deealers, the GM service base is going to shrink as well. I know for a fact that the service writer was joining in the circle jerk in the service area and their ineffective attempts to fix my car. And the plot thickens.....Semper Fi
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    "They do not have the necessary funds to provide this service and with the talk that they are going to dump around 1500 deealers, the GM service base is going to shrink as well."

The way you make it sound, the number of "dealers" will be shrinking, but the "dealer service base" won't change at all, simply because you did not get much "service" until this last dealer
  • sgtdevlinusmcsgtdevlinusmc Member Posts: 13
    The time came to say sayonara to my Buick Losecerne CXS. I finally woke up and realized that the GM debacle was going to go wider and deeper and longer than anyone has owned up to. So rather than shoot myself in the foot once again (a court-martial offense), I decided to unburden myself of this heaving, vibrating hulk of an excuse for an automobile. I swapped it in on a 2008 Hyundai Azera Limited with the Ultimate Package. This Hyundai rides circles around the Buick (turning radius too) and drives like a Lexus ES350 at half the price. I did thoroughly research the car and found it to be highly rated by just about every reviewer which I read. As for the front end problem, it was resolved and any Azera with a build date after October 2007 was not having any of the difficulty which has been discussed in Edmunds and other sites as well. It cost me $118 to complete the transaction and a well spent $118 at that. The car handles, drives, and STEERS superbly. The Losecerne steered worse than an 18 wheeler with its gargantuan turning radius. And with the CXS and its wider wheels made this major flaw in the cars performance even worse. It was an unbelievable car to TRY TO drive. It was a nightmare what with its undulating and vibrating its way down America's highways and byways. And just a note to the contributor who maintains that there will be no decrease in the service locations for GM. Take a look at the abandoned buildings that were once thriving auto dealerships including their service areas. You will not see shuttered showrooms with thriving service areas alongside. The whole kit and kaboodle is shuttered and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Hence, you will have to arrange for service some place else if your dealer goes belly up thanks to a :Dear Dealer" letter from the General (Nuisance that is). So so long to this site and that poor excuse for a car that was once my 2007 Buick Losecerne CXS; I should have shot it and put it out of its misery. SemperFi
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Nice that you decided to resolve your anger. I suspect it was going to consume you no matter how the car problem was resolved.

>drives like a Lexus ES350 at half the price

You are aware the 350 is a Camry in drag. :sick: :P so saying your Azera rides similar to one is not a compliment.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bryangzbryangz Member Posts: 24
    That's a shame he got a bad Lucerne.

The one we have is tomb quiet inside. It rides smooth and soaks up holes and bumps like they aren't there and for a big old boat it handles pretty good.

While I wish it had a 5 or 6 speed auto, the 4 speed and the 3.9 V-6 are plenty powerful for me.

Like, I think I noted before, I had to look up the 3.9 V-6, because it was so smooth, I thought it was a DOHC.....
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    My impressions of the Lucerne CXS were that it drove a lot like an older S420 - the big Mercedes tanks from a decade or so ago. But it wasn't quiet - it has a V8, after all. And it has the same gremlins all GM cars do in that it's not quiet - the power steering and hydraulics do vibrate and hum a bit, and the fuel pump is noisy at times.

And the OEM ties were too directional and causing it to track the rain grooves on the highway. A bit of humming and vibrating as a result. The fix is, well, different tires. OEM shocks/struts and tires and so on are almost always cheap junk no matter what brand you're buying these days.

Then again, it's a fine car. I think people are just expecting their cars to be like a video game or bank vault these days. Go drive an old 1960s Mercedes and try to hear yourself think. :P

BTW, you want 4 gears with a V8. The bigger the engine, the fewer gears you need and want. 1 - because you're not drag racing it. and 2: You're not going over 80-85mph anyways. Less shifting/smoother ride and more hp and torque as well, since it's generally in its power band driving around town. Cheaper to fix as well.

Small engines, otoh, do require more gears.
    Just wondering if the base CX model has a quieter/smoother ride versus the CXS and CXL models with the stiffer suspension, bigger tires?

The CX that I drive my mom around in is extremely quiet (it does have the ABS startup hum for a few seconds) and it rides smoothly with no vibrations.
    I wondered about the fuel pump noise. I haven't heard a fuel pump on any of my GM cars while driving.

The CXS is much better tired. That does cause road noise.

I suspect the softer tires on the base models are more what I would like.

I'm not sure about the power steering humming. If that is during turns when the pressure is higher doing the assisting, the hose is probably out of place and touching the firewall transmitting the vibration of the pump. Not right.

Evidently the hoses do hum and vibrate, and that is heard and felt through the firewall/foot areas. It's a known "issue" that causes people to think there's something wrong. But nothing really is. The fuel pumps, well, they occasionally whine a bit but most cars do that now. The tires, being slightly more aggressive and unidirectional, plus lower profile, are noisier. When they hit rain grooved cement highways, they chatter and hum and pull a bit back and forth(tires want to drift, but each side is reversed so it pulls back and forth.

This is tires. Put the normal CX/all seasons on it - something with a bidirectional non-"rain" type pattern and watch it disappear completely. When you go in to get the tires "replaced" - replace them with lower cost and higher profile(same as on the CX) tires.

My theory is that the newer cars aren't ANY different than before. It's that the makers have gone to silly lengths to make them quieter and smoother, so any small gremlins that you never noticed before suddenly worry all the yuppies.

The Lucerne CXS is the quietest and most insulated Buick ever. After driving my 1990s LeSabre the the dealer (at the time - now sold, good car) and immediately testing the Lucerne CXS, the CXS was Mercedes refined and quiet.

Cars are noisy, clattery, humming, buzzing, vibrating things by nature. We just forget. Really. Go drive an old VW Bug and you come out half deaf, sore, and feeling like you've been working out with your legs and arms compared to say, a bog standard Focus.

Case in point - my 4Runner has injectors that are as noisy as bad lifters or a tapping valves. Really. It happens when they are over 10 years old or so. The engine is so noisy at anything over idle, though, that I don't hear it at all 90% of the time.

But put a sewing machine engine out of a Civic in it and it would probably drive me nuts. Heh.
    Fuel pump: I can hear it before starting the car, but driving with the blower on and a radio on, I'd never hear it. In fact I'll bet I can turn the accessories all off and not hear the pump on our paved road which is quiet pavement.

The tires really make a difference. The standard leSabre has a General tire with high compliance to forces and very low rolling resistance. I always replace them with Michelins which are stiffer and give more road noise with long life treads.

Current 60 profile on 225 X 16 inch wheels gives a more controlled steering reaction with the original SYmmetry by Michelin used on a lot of GM cars in 03. But when I replaced them with Harmony, they howl on certain concrete type road textures and a few other large pebble road mixes. But other times are quiet enough. I suspect a higher profile Harmony wouldn't do this on a 15 inch wheel on the same leSabre.

I looked at a Sonata a couple years ago, and the model I'd want came with low profile tires on a large rim. Not what I wanted, both for noise and for replacement cost and life.

Some of the automakers have really worked on minimizing the noises, like injectors, to help the quiet ambiance inside. Do I recall the Lucerne has layer side windows to help muffle sound?

Yes. They use heavy windshield type glass on the side windows. Mercedes started doing this years ago as well.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Good luck on your Azera, but my 07 has the 08 shocks on it courtesy of Hyundai and this is the only difference between the 07 and 08. The bouncing problem returned after only 1,000 miles. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe you won't have it.
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    This is amazing! We purchased a used 2008 Azera after looking at several near-luxury cars, including the Lucerne. We thought the Buick was pretty good but the Azeras we tried were good too. Unfortunately, we didn't get to test drive the one we purchased on a real rough road before we completed the deal. On the way home, over bad roads, it became clear that we were not happy with the riding qualities of the Azera. Then, a couple of weeks ago we left it at an airport for 6 days. At 10 PM on our return we were shocked to find that the battery was dead. Two trips to the dealer---everything in OK, don't know why this is happening. At this point we would trade it for a Lucerne and take our chances.
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    You're right!! See my post.
    Just read through the Azera forum. Funny what people will put with in terms of an foreign car, but if a domestic has similar problems....

After reading that thread, I'd certainly be running the other way from the Azera.
    The *big* deal with the Buick is that it's working exactly like it should, noises and vibrations and all. Except that it's the quietest Buick ever built, so you can for the first time HEAR all of those little noises. And then the yuppies all freak out.

Look, it's a CAR. Not a driving simulation on your Wii. Sheesh.

The tire/steering issue is because they have unidirectional tread patterned tires on it. If it hits grooved or patterned roads, the tires want to pull to the outside so it chatters and vibrates as each side tries to do exactly that against the other. Changing to standard non-directional all-seasons fixes it instantly.
  • rivieraranchrivieraranch Member Posts: 28
    I have driven my 07 CXL V-8 for 9 months now. It has just over 11,000 miles on the odometer. It is finished in a now discontinued color called LIGHT QUARTZ METALLIC. The interior is shale, with very a handsome milk chocolate dashboard and top of the interior doors. If you look quickly at the exterior it looks like a medium metallic gray, but if you come up on it in lower light, in a garage, for example you can see the amethyst color. It reminds me of a cloud at sunset. It has the pearl finished (painted) wheels. I always thought I would like chrome wheels better but the exterior body color goes better with the pearl finish wheels. The only option on this car is the sunroof, which I occasionally use. I don't long for any of these other gizmos on some of the other cars.

My car drives very well and is extremely confortable, whether in the city or highway. Gas mileage averages from 18-22 MPG in combination driving, using 93 octane gas.

I have not had any major problems with it. The only 2 things problems I had were due to mistakes made at the factory, easily corrected. The first problem resulted from some lazy union auto worker failing to clamp the transmission line going into the lower radiator cooler. The line came off and the transmission fluid leaked out. Then more recently the car got wet inside because the drains around the sunroof were not properly installed and a moulding around the trunk had not been installed. Both of these problems were promptly and cheerfully corrected with no major inconvenience.

Based upon the above, I am doing well with my ride. I refuse to let the government dictate what I will drive. It makes me sick that they to cram everybody into cars that are neither comfortable, fun to drive, nor safe. I just hope that I can manage to drive this vehicle long enough to fully enjoy it and to take advantage of the extended warranty.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    "The first problem resulted from some lazy union auto worker failing to clamp the transmission line going into the lower radiator cooler. The line came off and the transmission fluid leaked out. Then more recently the car got wet inside because the drains around the sunroof were not properly installed and a moulding around the trunk had not been installed. Both of these problems were promptly and cheerfully corrected with no major inconvenience."

I am glad for you that the problems were quickly repaired...but that is the whole problem that just gets my goat...your Lucerne is a "lower status" DTS, yet someone did not clamp the transmission line...OK, maybe the clamp fell off during shipment (still shoddy workmanship, but let's just give the benefit of the doubt to the UAW)...but the drains not being properly installed (just how many ways can it fit in, anyway???)...and the trunk moulding was, simply, left off...

I realize this is not the UAW topic, but this is a UAW car...where are the union defenders???...are they going to blame the engineers for leaving off the moulding???...isn't this just the lousy workmanship that has sent millions of buyers over to the imports???

Will anyone defend this kind of work???
    Sounds to me like a few people, probably temporary workers, didn't do their jobs right. I observed IUE union workers on an assembly line two winters ago building Chev, GMC, Suzuki, and Saab vehicles. The methods they used would not have allowed any shortcomings in full attaching these things.

The sunroof drain lines are weak area in H-bodies (a relative of the C-bodies here). They tend to break above the floor on the driver's side; they come down through the windshield pillar and the A-pillar next to the driver's foot. They seemed to fracture in that area after some time.

Enjoy your automobile.

• tf712tf712 Member Posts: 7
    Just read in today's auto section of the paper that "the Lucerne is gone in 2011" Anybody hear anything about this? Will there be a replacement or is the LaCrosse going to be their top end model?
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Manager of Buick, Susan Docherty, has already announced the LaCrosse will be the new Buick "flagship" after the Lucerne is gone. When this happens, the new Cadillac XTS (DTS replacement) will be the only GM choice for a full-sized luxury car. Buick has never been without a full-sized car and I think this decision will come back to bite it. If I don't like the new XTS, I'll be going to Lexus or maybe even Hyundai, as their new Equus looks pretty nice. GM is playing a dangerous game by getting rid of the better selling half of their full-sized duo. Maybe Lutz and Henderson will regain their senses and push for a US version of the Chinese Park Avenue or a Buick version of the XTS.
  • jeffshadowjeffshadow Member Posts: 13
    The lease on my 2007 Lucerne CSX will be up in July 2010 and it is a shame that GMAC is no longer leasing vehicles at this time. In the past GMAC would give customers an option to turn in their leased car early and get another vehicle. When I worked for Oldsmobile we had hundreds of satisfied customers who continually re-leased one Olds after another. The car is currently posted on Swapalease.com in case anyone wants to take over payments for the next ten months.
    This CSX is as great as the two Auroras I had and the Buick is the only way to get a "rebadged" Aurora with Oldsmobile now gone. This car will be missed, especially since it has three 1964 "WILDCAT" emblems on it. Of course they will be removed and placed on the NEXT 2010 Lucerne CXL in Cyber Gray with Titanium leather interior.
    I would certainly never lease a car for 39 months again, especially in California. You end up paying a full year of registration just to keep the car for the final three months!
    That's where the early trade-in/select another Buick option comes in handy.
    By the way, I only buy American. Always have, always will. . .
  • mike391mike391 Member Posts: 5
    Have a '09 Lucerne with 6 passenger seating. Gear shift on steering column. When it is in drive, the gear shift blocks out part of the radio display and also the fav, info and the menu button. You have to lean over to see them if you want to use them or try to feel for them. Either way, it is a safety concern. You have to take your eye off the road too long. The only safe way would be to stop the car, put it in park and use them, unless there is a passenger that can do it, which in my case, there usually is not. Another thing about the display on the radio. I have xm radio. When it displays the artist or the song title, many times they are to long to display the entire name or song and is therefore cut off. I would think that would be an easy fix, like change the font or something like that.
  • jeffshadowjeffshadow Member Posts: 13
    Our 2007 Lucerne CXS had its badging replaced by "Wildcat" emblems from the 1964 model (large one on the trunk, two smaller ones on the front doors)-much better looking and the name GM should have used! I think most buyers are getting tired of GM copying the foreign "alphanumeric" lettering.
    Our lease is up next July but we plan to trade early to get a 2010 "Wildcat", though probably a V6; the V8 is way too thirsty. I drive my Toronados when I want low MPG!
    If you can, get a 36-month lease ( not our "39") because in states like California you have to pay registration for the entire year to drive the car the three remaining months.
    I hope GM keeps the Lucerne/Wildcat in production. There is no other car quite like it! :shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    I've been looking at both models as an alternative to the Avalon I was going to buy. Seems like Buick is targeting the same market with both vehicles. I was tending toward the Lucerne but a 4-speed automatic? C'mon. I'm also concerned when I read the problems folks have had with the car, & the dealers' responses. They sound a lot like the Toy dealers before the lawsuits exploded on the scene.

Questions: Is there that much of an actua difference between the two Buicks? Do you think one of the models will be dropped in favor of the other? Reliability can be a pain in the butt with any car but do you think the company is ignoring customer complaints or does it depend on the dealer you go to?

Thanks for your opinions.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Most of the posts I've read are favorable. I was lucky enough to find an 06 Lucerne with only 10,000 miles (hope I don'y jinx myself by saying I was lucky). Anyway it has the 4.6 V8 which I love. It has a deep rumble exhaust. The ride is smooth and quiet and it is really powerful. I've read other posts where people are getting up to 30 mpg with this engine. But to answer your question, I'd be just as happy if this were a LaCrosse. Both cars are fine and best of all, American made.
    Up to 30mpg with the V8? Whoa, and that's with the 4 speed automatic. My local dealer has a new '09 sitting there, saw it last fall & loved it but one of the salesmen told me the mileage stunk with the V8. Geez, that car was loaded & listed for $40 something; if they still have it I wonder what I could get it for now, with some good old fashioned hard nosed bargaining. What's your real world mileage combining city/highway driving?

Thanks Nace.
    I've only had it for one day, so I haven't had a chance to check it yet. The 30mpg I stated was one of the reviews I read on edmunds used car reviews, In fact one poster said he got 34 mpg. That one I find hard to believe, and that also was with the V8,
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    I get 17-18 mpg combined city/highway with my 08 Super. Got 20+ with my 07 DTS, but the Lucerne Northstar is tuned differently (same as the performance version of the DTS).
    I could constantly get 30 mpg with my Northstar V8 if I didn't have a lead foot. Trip computer reads 30 mpg if you drive about 60 mph. However I restrain myself and try to keep it about 68-70. That V8 rumble just sounds so good it's hard not to keep your foot in it. It's not so bad though since you can use regular grade gas.
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    I can't see Buick dropping the Lucerne. It might be time for a redesign. The one they did for the 2010 Lacrosse is jaw dropping! It just depends on what you're looking for with your new car. The Lucerne is going to give you the typical smooth Buick ride. The Lacrosse will get you more MPG and a sportier ride and drive. How much space do you need for passengers? Those are questions you should ask yourself before deciding which one to test drive.
    Ah, I don't know about that. Caddy is dropping both the STS & DTS, coming out with the XTS which is supposed to be a combo of both. From what I've seen of the concept & read about the XTS, it's neither. At my local Buick dealer I was told the Lucerne won't be redesigned before the '12 or '13 model year. I like the roominess & the ride compared to the LaCrosse; that cockpit feel in the LaCrosse makes me feel like a sardine in a can, & being tall I bumped my knees getting in & out of the thing with that extension of the dash just inside the door. Seems to me like the American companies are going for the sport suspension/drive & waving bye-bye to the luxurious comfortable ride they've been known for.
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    Cadillac will do exactly what Buick did when they replaced the Lesabre and PA. The Lucerne was supposed to be a combination of both. In fact, previous drivers of the Lesabre and PA were not overly thrilled with the Lucerne. Most of those customers were older and probably a little set in their ways. Slowly but surely those customers are changing their minds. I think some of the rationale has to do with upcoming CAFE standards. Cadillac will be like all others when it comes to EPA fuel efficiency. We will probably all see the luxurious comfortable rides compromised to some extent IMO.
  • oldguy8oldguy8 Member Posts: 12
    Do not believe the computer mileage, do it the old fashion way, most of the time it is better than what the computer shows.
    That's good to know. I haven't done it that way yet. The computer consistently shows 27-28 highway even with my V8 CXS. It's been said that higher octane gas gets better mpg, Does anyone believe this to be true? I may have to do a test.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    I test drove both the Lucerne and LaCrosse before purchasing a new 2011 LaCrosse earlier this week. The Lucerne rides like the Cadillac DTS I recently had- very comfortable ride. I have heard the Lucerne is going to be phased out soon for another model. I have not heard the LaCrosse is going to be replaced. I liked both cars very much- but the LaCrosse handles like a sports car ( hugs the road and excellent control)i on tight curves, winding roads etc. and still gives me a comfortable ( Buick) ride. I also preferred the actual looks of the LaCrosse over the Lucerne- but would have been happy with either one. Most of the available options are the same- navigation system, rear parking assist, etc. Other LaCrosse owners have had visibility/perception issues with rear and parallel parking- its still too new to credibly comment on this, but do believe the rear parking assist will help if this is an issue. The headrest on the passenger seat takes away some visibility when looking out the back right side window while driving. Both are priced nearly identical so this was not an issue. I have had good results with GM quality- also own a 2008 Buick Enclave and 2010 Malibu. I did compare the LaCrosse with the Acura TL and Lexus 350 and the LaCrosse won hands down- for the mid 30's, this is one nice car!
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
  • brownie12brownie12 Member Posts: 2
    I had an "outtie" door ding appear suddenly one day just after opening and closing the driver's window on a 2011 Chrysler 300C. I thought I had been hit by a shopping cart, but my dent doctor said it was an 'outtie' and that something in the door panel dented the door from the inside. Most likely a loose screw or other part from the window regulator. The dent doctor fixed the dent, but, the Chrysler dealer could not find the cause after removing the interior trim panel covering the window regulator. There was another panel underneath this one, but they did not remove it. They did take out the window and could not see anything that would hit the door.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? I had one once before on the trunk of my Mercedes when I put a large suitcase in the trunk and slammed the trunk shut without realizing the interference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brownie 12