Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I don't think so. Most manufacturers have gone to consoles as it makes air bag design much easier when it is impossible for there to be a rider between the driver and outboard front seat passenger...One of the few exceptions is the Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria, which uses a very large passenger side airbag to protect the center passenger...
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    New Impala LS/LT models are available with out the console.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    6 passenger 60/40 is availble just like the LaCrosse.

There is still a large market for a 6 passenger sedan. Avalon just gave it up so I do not believe there are any other non domestic 6 passengers out there?
  • wingman_mbwingman_mb Member Posts: 1
    The milk and cows thing. That would be a canadian thing. It's the name of the large milk company up here. The renamed the La Crosse, to the Allure in canada because apparently it meant something bad in french. They should do the same for this model as well.
    Yea, it meant the national sport up there when it is warm outside.
    I like the name Allure a little better. I guess it reminds me of "Intrigue" which is my current car.
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    I've read most of the posts here as I'm starting to think about a new vehicle in July 06, and the Lucerne is one of two GM cars I'm considering. I've enjoyed the speculation on who might be a target audience for this vehicle, and all the perceived pluses and minuses and comparisons to other vehicles are very interesting to me. I am a car enthusiast or at least an addict. I used to go to the Frankfurt auto show every two years, subscribed to every domestic, English and German car magazine possible, and made frequent and often ill-advised car buying decisions.

I've had a '58 Pontiac (it was 10 years old when I got it at age 20, and i loved her so much), a 1970 English Capri (horrible car, but I was in love with her once), a 1973 Olds Cutlass (loved him so much, but I was 25 and loved everything), a 1975 Buick LeSabre (thought I was growing up...liked her, but the gas crisis came).

Then in no particular order, in part to emphasize the wide range of of my car madness: 3 BMW's (loved each with irrational passion), an Audi A6 (nice to drive and look at, but it was a sl*t/wh*re and slept with the service manager more than me), 1st generation Pathfinder 2-door (Wish I still had him), an Infiniti Q45 (first generation and liked her) Taurus (first year product..it hated me), Buick Regal (first year product...thought the $3,500 GM Card rebate made it a great deal...kept it for 6 months - we didn't care for each other much), Camry (2nd generation...absolutely dependable, but didn't love it). And now I'm in a Lexus RX330 lease (everything it's supposed to be, but nothing more - I like it, it likes me).

I'll be more generous to myself than any of you are likely to be and just memorialize the above as an eclectic set of car experiences based upon varying permutations of self-indulgence, best intentions, great study and basic stupidity.

So after all that, and now at age 57, I have probably my last GM Card rebate to use - $3,700 and am trying to consider a GM product. I like how the Lucerne looks, and am hoping the interior will be of quality that one would expect from the pictures. But I am fearful that it will be so generally uncompetitive with the Avalon or Kia, etc., that even the rebate won't even things up. Some of the concerns you have noted regarding the LaCrosse have been things I have also noticed to great dismay and am hoping won't apply to the Lucerne. The LaCrosse sticker price is laughable to the point of insult to the car it represents. And the level of standard safety equipment is absurd... AND to charge $250 for an extra slathering of some chrome-like exterior trim bits makes me think GM has not learned anything from it's walk to the brink, and will continue it's dramatic spiral to becoming an American British Leyland. .

Hopefully none of this will happen with the Lucerne. I want to like it. To go home and think about colors. Oh, to be young and in love again.
    Which concerns on the LaCrosse are you referring to?

Also for '06 SIAB and ABS are standard with a $100 MSRP decrease. Should help the sticker price some.

I agree with the chrome but then again it is a very high penetration from what I see around here. People will pay the price if they really want something. Perhaps Buick was concerned folks would not want the extra chrome and made it optional? Took extra facia tools and body side molding tools which are expensive and will take a while to pay off.

Lucerne interior is top notch.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I think if you read up on the lucerne you wont be so concerned. The Lucenre will have six standard airbags, ABS and stability control on the top model. I dont see how you could think it would be incompetitive with the Avalon or the new Hyundai coming out. What are you basing that on? The Avalon has a few features not found on the Lucerne including Xenon, 5 speed auto and adaptive cruise. I dont know that I would buy a car strictly for those features but maybe they are important to you.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Actually, the optional front "bench" is NOT 60-40, but the much more useful 40-20-40 in front. Just like the Cadillac DTS twin of the Lucerne, the 40-20-40 front seat is available on all but the top version of the car. The Lucerne offers everything on the DTS, except:
    - the massaging function on the 4-way lumbar support;
    - the slightly higher output V8;
    - the HID headlights;
    - heated rear seats;
    - the front parking proximity sensors; and,
    - the laser cruise control.

Anyone who wants those things simply needs to buy a DTS. Everyone else can save $10,000 to $15,000 by buying a Lucerne.

By the way, stability control is standard on the CXS (top model) and optional on the CXL V8.

I also would not like to see sunroofs standard, and wish that leather was always optional (cloth is cooler in warm times and warmer in cold times). The heated and cooled leather is OK, but cloth is even better.
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    How did you find out about all these specs? Is there a website? Thanks, Jim
    I am so embaressed!! :( I of course knew about the seats/console. :blush:

Are you sure the front parking sensors are not available on the Buick?
  • minnguy34minnguy34 Member Posts: 11
    This is from a GM press release dated 9/22/2005:

Lucerne will be available in four models: CX, CXL V6, CXL V8, and CXS. Each MSRP listed includes a $725 destination charge.

Buick Lucerne CX – $26,990

The most aggressively-priced model in the lineup, Lucerne CX is powered by GM’s 3800 Series III V-6. Lucerne ’s starting MSRP is $460 below the current LeSabre and comes with significantly more content – including an enhanced warranty, traction control and additional airbags. When adjusted for equipment, Lucerne CX is priced more than $2,200 below a comparable 2005 LeSabre.

For consumers who pre-shop on the Internet, Lucerne will stand out. For instance, Lucerne ’s starting MSRP is $5,960 below the 2006 Lexus ES.

Buick Lucerne CXL V6 –$28,990

With 17” premium painted aluminum wheels, the CXL V6 offers leather seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and power passenger seat.

Buick Lucerne CXL V8 – $30,990

Lucerne CXL V8 shows an unparalled value among V8 luxury cars. With an MSRP of $30,990, the Lucerne CXL V8 offers a 275 horsepower Northstar V8 that can go head to head against high end imports like the Lexus GS and Infiniti M, both with MSRPs which start above $45,000. StabiliTrak, GM’s electronic stability enhancement system that helps maintain vehicle control during certain low-traction driving conditions like ice, snow, gravel, wet pavement and uneven road surfaces, is available on CXL V8 models.

Buick Lucerne CXS – $35,990

The performance-oriented Lucerne CXS comes standard with the Northstar V8 and features 18” wheels. Lucerne CXS is the first Buick to offer Magnetic Ride Control, paired with StabiliTrak, to enhance overall ride performance. This system uses magnetically charged particles suspended in a synthetic fluid to continuously adjust the fluid’s viscosity to varying road surfaces and driving characteristics. The system has quicker response than conventional valve-damping systems, while providing exceptional vehicle control and increased tire contact with the road surface.

Full complement of comfort and convenience features

Lucerne has a complete range of comfort and convenience features available befitting Buick’s premium image, such as heated/cooled front seats; factory-installed remote start; Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist; rain-sensing windshield wiper system; the first heated windshield washer fluid application in its class; a nine-speaker, 280-watt Harman Kardon audio system; six-disc in-dash CD changer with MP3 capability; and DVD map navigation. More information is available at media.gm.com.

Production of Lucerne starts in fourth quarter 2005 at the Detroit-Hamtramack manufacturing facility. That plant placed third in North/South America in the 2005 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.

Following the Buick LaCrosse midsize sedan and Terraza crossover sport van, Lucerne is the third new vehicle in Buick's refreshed portfolio in just over 12 months

You can find detailed specs on the Lucerne under gmfleet.com . On that site: Click, Fleets, then Vehicle Research, then Online Order Guide.
    The V6 is a joke with the 3800. This is where GM screwed up this car, it should have a 3.6L base motor no ifs ands or buts.

I wanted to look at a base Lucerne but for the money I could almost get a 303hp Impala SS. It's too bad, I love the look of the Lucerne.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    For consumers who pre-shop on the Internet, Lucerne will stand out. For instance, Lucerne ’s starting MSRP is $5,960 below the 2006 Lexus ES.

Outrageous.

As if people are going to be seriously cross-shopping a Lucern CX with a Lexus ES330.
    Yes, it is obvious the CXS has it all over the ES and at a cheaper price.
    Uhh, you really need to get out and drive both cars. The V8 Lucerne is heads and tails above the Impala when looking at prieumness.
    I was comparing a 3800 V6 Lucerne to an Impala SS.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Plastic wood does not a Lexus competitor have.

They were absurdly comparing a CX to the ES300 anyway.
    The CXS stickers much higher than an ES330.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If there's a Toyota that the Lucerne should be compared to, its the Avalon, not the soon to be replaced and much smaller ES330. The Avalon, in most forms, is priced very similarly to the Lucerne, with the notable exception that for 2006 you can have stability control on any trim line, and that for 27 grand base price you have a 268 horse V6 that gets 31 MPG on the highway, not a larger, thrashier 195 horse unit that gets 30. Avalon hits 60 in 6 flat, according to Car and Driver.

The only trim lines that are harder to line up directly are the sporting Avalon, which is a mid level Touring model and cant be had with NAV (yet), and the sporting Lucerne, which is the top level CXS.

Would love to see a head to head comparo, though....
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Avalon hits 60 in 6 flat, according to Car and Driver.

Don't know how they got 6 flat, everywhere else I read it's about 6.9 - 7.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I havent seen anything greater than the Consumer Reports time of 6.7 seconds, which more closely represents the C/D Street Start test (for which C/D recorded 6.3 seconds). Toyota's own claimed time was 6.6.

~alpha
    All the cars in that C&D test were way too fast and I wouldnt expect to ever see the Avalon at 6secs again. The GS430 with 300hp does 0-60 in 5.7secs with a 6 speed auto so it's hard to believe the 268hp Avalon is that close. 6.6 is much more realtistic when you consider the cars power and weight. I think the Lucerne V8 should be in the 6.8-7sec range but obviously the mileage wont be as good. It's hard to argue against the Avalon on paper, but I like the Lucerne better inside and out.
    Strange, I never thought that I would read about a Buick LeSabre/Park replacement in a HP/0-60 arguement. I think the V6 version will be plenty fast and the V8 will be plenty more fast for virtually all the Avalon/Lucerne intenders.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Looks like Buick.com website has full Lucerne info - although I checked gmbuypower.com and still no ability to "build" a Lucerne. Looks great in pictures - but I'm a little disappointed that cargo space is down 1 cubic foot from LeS and 2.1 cubic feet from Park Ave - even though car is 3 inches longer than 2005 LeSabre. Colors seem to be the same as 2005 LeSabre, with exception of new "Sharkskin" grey color. Stopped by a small Buick-only dealership outside Boston today - sales manager said he expected his first alotment of Lucernes in December. I wonder if you put in a sold order now, would you receive the car sooner? GM's media website says production will start in the fourth quarter - which begins Saturday. Wonder why production of the DTS (which shares some components) was started about a month ago, while the Lucerne hasnt started yet (according to Automotive News). MIght have something to do with the extended buildout of the 2005 LeSabre, which up until last week was still being assembled at the Detroit/Hamtramck plant. Took one final look at a 2005 LeSabre at the dealers (a loaded Glacier Blue Limited) - might be the last "classic" Buick :(
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I don't see the Lucerne and Avalon as competing for the same buyers. The Avalon is oriented to foreign car buyers and is an upscaled Camry base. The Lucerne continues to share parts with FWD Cadillac. Most Lucerne buyers won't be concerned about zero to 60 times. They may care about the thump when they do kick it, a few more than others.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Are they both being built inthe same plant? Normally you would never start 2 different models at the same time. Stagger SOP 3-6 months. Even if in different plants same people are working at Engineering and they cannot be at both plants at once.
    With a new Lucerne they should be similar demographics and psychographics. There will still be a split between domestic only and foreign only but the open minded ones should be cross shopping the lower level Lucerne against the Avalon.
    You're probably right. The new image is to attract more buyers in a younger demographic. I'm looking at it from my point-of-view of a solidly built, quality car with few problems because the parts are all adequate rather than minimal design to do the job. That appeals to me in the older demographics of the LeSabre market.

Buick quality is well known. Even people I know who drive Toyotas admit Buick is as good if not better. Lucerne should be solid.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    I agree that your average Lucerne shopper could care less about 0-60 times. They want ride, room and quiet. You're going to get a lot of Crown Vic and Grand Marquis types as well. Whether the age demographic will come down is questionable.

I think it's a nice looking car in pictures - I'll see one in person next week.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    If the Lucerne will have the shifter available with the wood trim? I have not seen that in pictures.

It just looks funny to me that they have all that beautiful wood trim in the doors and steering wheel (YES!) but not on the shifter?

That would really round out the look.

Also, it would be nice to have it like in the lacrosse, by the window switches.

Otherise this cars looks really big and bold from the photos.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I've been looking at the 2006 Buick Lucerne too.....guess what I'm 26' so the new style has reached out to a little younger generation.....I like the Lucerne for it's big, bold, Quality appearance, and since I have a wife and 2 kids I need a sedan. The 4 yr. 50k Bumper to Bumper is attractive too....The reliability of Buick is a factor also in my purchase decision.....This may seem weird, but I was cross shopping it with a sporty 06' Lexus IS 350. The Lucerne has the advantages of room. It lacks the performance, and Gadgets of the IS 350. When I do decide to finally purchase my next car, it's going to be a very very tough decision. I want to buy a American Made car, since my family works for GM/Delphi and I get a employee discount.....I just want all the bells and whistles like 5.1 DVD Surround Sound, Voice Recognition with Navigation, heated steering wheel, AC seats, etc etc.......... and the only American Made Cars that have those features are Caddy's like the STS which are $60+K :( I guess all I can do is wait for the next generation Caddy CTS and
    CTS-V which is rumored for 2007 sometime and see if GM has delivered.....However the Buick Lucerne, will defintley stay on my shopping list even though it lacks some of the creature features I was hoping to see on it.....
    I think some of the features you are looking for are going to be rare on a car under $40K. I think the Lucerne has most of the features one would expect for a non-Cadillac luxury car. If it had many more features it would make the more expensive DTS redundant. A fully loaded Lucerne CXS has more features than the base model DTS. The only think it lacks is the HID lights.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Actually, most of the features you mentioned are going to be available on the Lucerne, although you may have to spring for the top of the line CXS. Navigation will be available mid way through the year, heated and air conditioned seats will be offered in both CXL and CXS, Heated wood steering wheel will also be available later in the model year, and while it may not be the 5.1 system like the STS, there is a Harmon/Kardon uplevel system available, even in the base model CX.
    I ordered one today - a ming blue w/cashmere CX base model, equipped with the driver confidence package, entertainment package (XM radio & harmon/kardon stereo) six passenger seating (I too have two kids) and comfort & convenience package. Im only 37 and this is my 4th Buick. They must be doing something right!
    and to 1487 ......Thanks guys for the comments......I'm happy you guys like the new Lucerne, it's a GM demostration of Quality with Fit and Finish.....I didn't know all that.....I have a brochure, and like it.....The DTS just lacks the 5.1 surround sound I want.....It has the voice recognition system too....I will definitly go see one in person when they come available....are local small town dealership mainly sells buicks and caddy's and most of the time has them in stock.....The Lexus IS 350 does have all those features for a rumored Motor Trend $38-39K....I wished the Lucerne would of gotten a little more Northstar grunt at around 315 or horsepower and a 6 speed auto....All wheel drive would be cool with a DOD system....perhaps in the future ?????......The 5.1 or better surround sound was important to me, because most of my CD's are in DVD-Audio or DVD Music formats.....Trust me, my home theater is 7.1 and once you hear it, you will not want to settle for less..... ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ON THE BUICK VELITE ROADSTER ?????.....GM says it's dead at the momment, but might get the Sigma II archtecture....anyone got anything more to add ?????

P.S. guys what color is that bluish gray color ???? is that sharkskin....it kinda looks like the Acura TL Anthracite color.....The Lucerne has a very similar color.....
    rocky, go drive a bmw with the HK system. Take along your DVD-audio and you will be satisfied. HK does wonderful things with their logic 7.
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    As a long time Buick owner, I've just about been converted to the Toyota Avalon. It has virtually all the features of the Cadillac STS for about $10,000 less. I'll be looking at the Lucerne when it comes out, but it will have to be something special to beat the Avalon, especially considering the mechanical problems I've had with my last two Buicks.
    The Avalon is nice and has good value I suppose but it's dull. Can't compare a Caddy to a Toyota either, Toyota is not a luxury marque.
    frankly the Avalon looks piggish. It's built on the old Toyota chassis which has been "improved" to carry the Avalon. That's how they call it an all new car.

I don't want bucket seats. I don't like arrogant, pushing salesmen. But the car just looks oversized for it's wheels or something, sort of like the recent Camrys look.

this car in person. Now if only buick designed the LeCrosse like it did the Lucerne.

I still can't figure out why they dropped the Park Avenue name.

What were they thinking?
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Got a chance to see the new Lucerne in person at the Texas State Fair car show.

Like most cars, they look better in person than in pictures,, and this is certainly true of the Lucerne. It is a much bigger car that I had thought, but then Buicks are supposed to be bigger, right?

Anyway, it looked great from every angle and fit and finish were outstanding. There were no disspointments. Of course, the proof is in the test drive, which I will look forward to soon.
    Active Steer or no Active ????....Man some are for it, and others are against it ????.....So the HK system with Logic 7 is a good one....that mimics surround sound right ????.....Do you have any idea what the next M3 sedan will cost someone ????.......I heard the new CTS-V (Next Gen) is suppose to be better than a M5.....I have time on my side to wait....If you do have any new info, I'd appreciate it :)
    What is active steer? Perhaps Stabilitrak? If so then yes if you want both ultimate safety and handling w/o being a skilled ultimate driver. Seriously it is amazing what they can do with computers. GM has said that they will make it standard on all vehicles soon because it really adds a huge safety increase that keeps the vehicle from having to use all it's crush zones and air bags.

Yes I use Logic 7 at home to turn a normal 2 channel CD into not only surround sound but to always make the listener(s) feel like they are in the middle of the sound experience. Every passenger has the music balanced for their position or whereever they move their head. Again computers are amazing and I have no idea how they do it. But, after saying all that I took a look at the website and the Lucerne is not getting the Logic 7. However my earlier post still holds.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2003/05/12/the_harman_kardon_stereo_system_reviewed
    The Avalon has more features than most base model luxury cars, not just the STS. The STS isnt the only car the looks overpriced compared to an Avalon. Try comparing it to the ES330 or GS430 and see how it stacks up. The Avalon isnt stylish in anyway, it's very awkward and ungainly. The inside is too over the top as well. There is nothing elegant about all that faux metallic trim and that ridiculous cover plate that slides over the radio controls. The dash is a modernized version of an 80s Buick, it's really for older people.
    Active Steering is like $2000 option on Bimmers, which increases the boost speed of the power steering systems on BMW. Some like it during sharp curving roads, others hate it, because it doesn't give the driver the feedback that typical BMW drivers love.....I have a Logic 7 option on my Surround sound system, and never knew what it was.....yes it does make the 2 channel sound, sound more like a 360 degree surrround. However it's not sound nearly as good as Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 like my custom home system.
    Perhaps this will be one area that Buick could improve on the Lucerne. Also for the Lucerne to be more competitive they need to add a voice recognition system with a better navigation. I hope the new SUV's atleast on the Denali and Escalade do get these options ? thanx->Rockylee
    No but it does significantly improve a 2 channel CD.

I am still not sure waht Active steering is for $2000. GM has magnasteer on some vehicles which makes it easier to turn the wheel in slow parking lot manuevers but stiffer at highway speeds. NOT a $2000 feature though.
    Here this will teach you about Active Steering

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/bmwindepth/BmwTechnology/Handling

Pro's/Con's of course BMW won't state the con's ;)

If the Bimmer had better styling, I'd consider it. Yes it's the Benchmark for handling, but man in my opinion it got ugly on the inside and outside. I also don't like the iDrive system, because they said that was really hard to operate.
    Yeah the Logic 7 does improve the sound, but the Bimmer should have DVD Surround Sound, for as much as they ask for their cars .....Thanx->rockylee
    if you want a car to handle like a 5 seriers but look as expensive as it should.