Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    <<<What is this $995.00 paint job? Is GM charging EXTRA for painting their vehicles now?>>>

As do Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Toyota, etc. for certain paint colors on certain models. This isn't anything new, and hardly a "GM-only" phenomina.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    This was one of those pearl gold metallics. It was fun to look at but I would not want to make payments for 5 years on it. I thought it was a little high and I think there is only one other color that is extra. I think the other colors are fine. I left with a nice brochure which included good color swatches. I am still raving about this car. I hope it does well for Buick.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    Actually, they charge for every color, if you go on the website to build your Lucerne. The bright red is less expensive than the rest, but the remaining colors are the same price, at least when I first checked it. Don't know why they don't just build it into the price of the car to avoid that type of negative perception.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Sorry, could you explain that again? The Lucerne charges for the red tintcoat and the pearl white tricoat. These take very expensive paints and more processing in the plant. They are also harder to repair and get a good match.

I do see there is an error on the base price and have sent a message to get it fixed.

GM does not charge for standard paint. However many overseas companies charge for metallics (GM does not)
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    "GM does not charge for standard paint. However many overseas companies charge for metallic (GM does not)"

Saab of GM does.

I really like those 17" charcoal rims on the Lucerne. They should really make those the standard. I saw 2 with the base 16" wheels and they look really small, create a larger wheel gap and give the vehicle a "cheaper" feel.

Just my thoughts.
    "GM does not charge for standard paint. However many overseas companies charge for metallic (GM does not)"

Saab of GM does.

Just went to the Saab site. They do not charge for standard paint. BUT they do charge for metallic just like most of the other Euro companies do. But you got me there since I still do not see Saab as a GM company. ( I know they are)
    Absolutely the bigger wheels look better. But Avalon comes standard with 16's and only 17's are available. Lucerne gives you the option of 18's.
    The wheels look great on this car. The stick out farther than most cars wheels. They stick out past the plane of the side windows a little.
    but did not drive one today. I was at the dealer waiting for an oil change and my salesperson asked me if I wanted to take a Lucerne for a drive. I said no, not today. I drove a G6 GTP 6-spd instead. Really liked the G6. Seemed pretty fast and the manual was very good - shorter through than my GTO.

Next time I will take a Lucerne out for a spin. I did sit in one and was very impressed. Interior seems of high quality and leather seats were very soft and comfortable. Still love the charcoal 17" wheels:)
    The wheels look great on this car. The stick out farther than most cars wheels. They stick out past the plane of the side windows a little.

Thank mr. Lutz for this. the engineers said it couldn't be done. Bob asked "who says?". those that said it found they could sharpen their pencils a little more and the tires moved out and filled up the wheel opening more.

GM had a lot of specifications put together by all kinds of smart engineers who just wanted to make sure nothing ever went wrong. Add all that conservative engineering and you get a lot of compromises to styling among other things.
    It appears from the Buick website that they charge for every paint on the Lucerne. In fact, the red tintcoat is the least expensive, at about $500. All of the other ones are $995. Go to Buick and build your Lucerne to see what I mean.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The special paint check option is greyed out for the standard colors. It cannot be selected.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I did. red tint coat and the pearl white is $995. What web site are you at?

http://www.buick.com/byo/byoSelectStyle.bk?noType=0&make=Buick&zip=48226&originatingBrand=- lucerne&subModel=&makeId=004&model=Lucerne&subModelId=298&year=2006&modelId=095&pvc=421&iP- i=1&fPi=4&&newVehicle=true

base price is $26,999, I chose the CXS which bumps the price to $35,990. Go to next page. Price jumps to $36,985 for no reason on a black car. This as I said before is an error and it is being investigated today. If you keep going though it stays at $36,985 for a black car. However if you pick one of the two special paints (red tintcoat or white pearl) you get a $500 rebate. All part of the error. Thanks for pointing this out and let me know if it does not get changed.
    62vetteefp - Do you work for GM? Just curious. My father did for 46 years.
    Used to but still feel like it since my wife is in the middle of all the stuff that is going on. But just about my entire family (extended, etc.) either does or has.
    I was looking at the same site. Looks like it was just part of the error referred to. In looking at some invoices of cars that are out, it does look like they don't charge the extra amount for most of the colors.
    Hopefully it will be fixed by tommorrow.
    I am having a Lucerne brought to my house for a test drive. Any questions or things any of you interested in that I should look for? Let me know.

By the way the driver of the car has the CXL with V8 and is very impressed with it. Like the LaCrosse it does not ride like the Buicks of old (OK last years Buick's ;) ) and loves it. It does not have the magnetic ride control.

I will check how the lack of tele column is. I am 5'10. But I will say that I know how GM sets the steering wheel position and with the manual tilt it is almost always perfect for my driving taste.
    See which on-star plan is on it. I see that they are actually providing the "directions and connections" plan w/ some of them. I was disappointed w/ the lack of a nav system in the early ones, and am curious as to see how well that alternative works. I'm hoping to find a CXS to buy in the next few weeks.

I've sat in a few, and they seem fine for my 6'-3" body. I'm even able to sit in the back seat if the front seat is all the way back, although I don't think 3 adults my size would be all that comfortable.
    >(OK last years Buicks...

You may mean Buicks before 2000--the 2000 LeSabre is much different in ride than those before it. I have an 03. It's built on the same base as the Sevilles and ParkAvenues were. Completely different than the 98 LeSabre I have, even after Monroe strut replacements which improved the 98 greatly.

Telescoping wheel:
    I sat in a 500 and Fusion with their version of telescoping wheel. They were odd because they pivot somewhere way down by the firewall so when tilting the wheel changing angle with the driver oddly. The telescope feature wasn't worth the odd steering wheel angles.

In fact I don't recall that the 500's wheel telescoped. Maybe just the Fusion's.

I mean all Buick's of the past except the LaCrosse. I see the Lucerne as a replacement for 5 cars. The Bonneville, the 98/88 and the LeSabre/Park. The CXS is a much better handling and firmer car than any Buick ever was but not as firm as the Bonneville. the CXL replaces the LeSabre/88/98 but will have a firmer more controlled ride. It will not be the boulevard ride of the past. But I need to drive and see how it is. It will not be a floaty car. I hear the magnetic ride is amazing. Perhaps that will be the most comfortable ride of all?

Most foriegn cars tilt at the firewall. This is a much cheaper way of building them and you will see the newer, cheaper GM cars do it this way (G6). This is not the kind of wheel you tilt up every time you get out of the car. You set it once and leave it.
    The "Beyond precision" campaign is being created by McCann Erickson Worldwide, the agency that dreamt up the "Dream up" and Earl campaigns along with all other Buick campaigns since 1958. Although the budget for the campaign is not being disclosed, General Motors spends about $150
    million to $200 million each year to advertise Buick models in major media.

The campaign is to begin on Monday with television commercials for the 2006 Lucerne sedan. Executives at Buick hope the Lucerne, which replaces two models, the LeSabre and Park Avenue, will steal sales from competitors like the Toyota Avalon.

The initial commercials for the Lucerne take a confident tone, playing up features like quieter interiors and heated windshield-washer fluid, which are intended to woo the finicky target audience: affluent drivers ages 40
    to 60 with "high expectations," as Margaret Brooks, marketing director for Buick in Detroit, put it, "who demand proof to consider any product" before buying. (Currently, the average age of a Buick sedan driver is 63).
    YES, thanks for noticing tilt wheels that tilt at the firewall. I hate them. I am 6' and have long legs. I don't think I could ever have a car that way. I checked the tilt of the Lucerne and it is the kind that pivots near the turn signal switch. I would rather have one like that than one with tilt and telescope that had a long pivot.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Picking up my new CX Ming Blue w/cashmere on monday. Saw it today at the dealer. Very interested to hear how harmon/kardon stereo sounds, and how the CX rides. My dealer let me take a V6 CXL out for a test drive - very smooth ride - I can only imagine how smooth the CX is since supposedly it has the slightly softer FE1 suspension. Unlike some, I actually like the softer ride. My previous "benchmarks" for ride smoothness were my 2002 LeSabre and my 2003 Park Ave. MSRP on my car is $29230.00 - I paid $27600.00. Im sure I will be seeing the car for $2000 less in the spring, but that's the penalty one pays for wanting to be the first on the block. Dealer said I will be the first Lucerne sold; he has 15 on order and 3 others on the lot which came in with mine - 1 CXS and 2 CXL's. He feels that the CXS will be the big seller; I would assume the CXL V-8 will be the best seller. Interestingly, he said most CXL and CX buyers chose the 40/20/40 bench seat instead of the buckets. The cloth upholstery in the CX is much higher quality than my LeSabre Custom, and the headliner material feels like it came from a $ 50000 car. What a difference from the usual "mouse fur" headliner of the last few years. Let's hope for us Buick fans out there that the Lucerne is a huge hit!
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Congrats.. let us know how you like it.
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    FYI - I had sent a feedback email at least two weeks ago to alert Buick to the paint-charge issue. I also indicated concern that there was no ability to build a CXL-V8 with heated windshield fluid or StabiliTrak. The brochure indicates this as possible, and I have seen at least the heated fluid optioned on one real Lucerne. One would think that somebody at Buick would have tried to build a car on their site and have noticed the problem(s). Or at least reacted in response to feedback that they actually solicit at the bottom of the page. It's not so much important as it is irritating. On the other hand, it's not great marketing strategy to let people build cars on that site that indicate a cost $1K higher than it should. I know GM has problems, but doesn't anyone test this stuff?

On a more positive note, I think the Lucerne looks great in the flesh - I haven't had the chance to sit in or drive one yet, and look forward to everyone's mini-reviews. My dealer is indicating that they are only ordering the bench seat version because "that's what the LeSabre customer wants". Oh my.
    Unfortunately GM is a big company and has many layers. They also get hundreds of emails. Not an excuse. I will find out what the issue is and get back with you.
    Sat in a couple today. The interior is tightly fitted. The feel of the seats is good. I liked the looks of the black Northstar CXL model with the chrome wheels! The dealer doesn't have any CXS in yet.

The shape of the car is beautiful without the piggish look of the avalon since it's built on a narrower-looking base--it looks like a Camry again with a larger car plumped up on top of it. The weird taillights look strange on avalon. The taillights on Lucerne look great. It just doesn't look like Buick taillights anymore!!! Guess it's the new Buick.

• sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi all,
    Everything I've read about the Lucerne has been good so far. I only have one question: When will it have the 6 speed? It's great to have people on this board sharing their first hand experiences!

I wish I could get one, but my wife will kill me. I just bought a Ls430 last year, and there is no way she's going to let me get another car! I probably could post on the chronic car buyers anonymous board too!

Looks like GM has given us a winner this time!
    SV
  • 2bobp662bobp66 Member Posts: 7
    Just a note for you guys... I just picked up my black on black Lucerne CXS. It has every option except the cooled seats (wasnt ordered with them) :confuse: . This car is OUTSTANDING!!! I traded in a 2001 Audi A6 2.7t with the sport package for this car. The handling of this car is ON PAR with my AUDI which says ALOT for a buick!! As far as build quality... the interior fit and finish is everybit as good as my audi was and the car has a much better ride!! The car is INFINITELY more quiet than any car i test drove in (NEW A6, new avalon, Es330)!! I can't believe I own and American car again!! Its that good!! The v-8 rumble won me over against the avalon and a6 :D . The car is everybit as fast as any of the others as well! Plus the price (my brother is a gm emply) at 34700 plus tax was great to boot. Even at 38000 msrp the car is a great value compared to the others!! As you can tell I'm very excited about this car.. First american car i've owned in ten years... :shades:

Take care guys!!
    bob
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Congrats on the new ride!

How is the audio system with those Harman/Kardon speakers?

Is there any wind noise at highway speeds?
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Bob,
    Congrads on getting a Lucerne!! I too own import cars at the moment. It would be great if you could let us know about your Lucerne experience when time allows. I don't blame you for being excited! This is the first American car that has caught my eye in a long time!

Hope the Lucerne treats you well!
    SV
    Eye-catching was the black Lucerne with the chrome wheels in the dealer's service area. It looked like a European car or Lexus style car.

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    Whatever you can tell the forum from an owner's viewpoint about the car will be appreciated. My search will begin this April, probably, and this is the first offering from GM I have considered in a long time (been driving Avalons since '98).

Buick may have a winner here. Drove many of them for 25 years, up to 1990. Then went foreign like a lot of other people. Thanks.
    The only unusual thing is that the suspensions vary among all three levels. The lower seems to be aimed at base LeSabre drivers just wanting good ride. The middle level has improved quality of struts and the top has the electromagnetic control struts. Do I have that right?

I would want to test drive all three levels or at least the lower two to see if there's a difference in control I care about.

• jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Picked up my new CX yesterday (Ming Blue/Cashmere). Here are first impressions (about 90 miles on it so far):

Quiet tuning much more effective than in LaCrosse - wind and road noise almost non-existant. 3800 V-6 seems smoother at idle than 2002 LeS. Fuel economy on 70 mile highway trip at 68-70 mph showed 28.9 - but I am curious to see what the mileage will be after a few thousand miles. Previous Buick V-6's owned (2002 LeSabre and 2003 Park Avenue) were excellent. Cloth upholstery is much higher quality (both feel and fit) than before. Color combination is beautiful - in fact, after seeing my car come off the truck (I ordered it early Oct) - the dealer put in orders for 3 more identically equipped. Havent had a chance to try CD in Harmon/Kardon system, but stereo/XM sounds great, and feature that shows presets is neat - combines all 3 bands. Only one detraction - steering wheel seems bigger than it has to be, tho I can tell they made it that way so one could see instruments. Exterior quality fit/finish is superb - Buick is correct in that regard. Even 16-in wheels look great. Trunk space is down a little from LeSabre, although the trunk is not as shallow as the Park Ave's was. Controls feel substantial - especially climate controls and power windows. More to come as I put some miles on!
  • 2bobp662bobp66 Member Posts: 7
    Just a few more comments on my CXS.. The quiet tuning is incredible. The other day i was on expressway doing 85 mph in HEAVY winds and the car is absolutely silent. Much quieter than my A6 was thats for sure. The stereo works great! It has a very nice soundstage around the driver. The controls are very well placed as well. My only minor complaint is that the speedometer is a little tough to see in daylight as it is pretty far recessed into the dash. The doors have that solid THUNK as they close etc. GM really payed attention to the details (stainless door sills, etc.). I didnt drive the other models so i can say about their handling but I couldn't be happier with the handling of the CXS! No floaties whatsover! I've already had three sets of people ask me what kind of car i was driving! You should of seen their faces when i told them a BUICK!! :surprise: .. They all thought it was a lexus! Way to go GM!!

bob
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I saw the first ads for the lucerne on TV today. One was about the 1 millimeter gaps between the panels and the other was about the heated washer fluids. One commercial shows the CXL model with the 17" rims and the other is the CXS. I'm glad to see they are focusing on the features in the ads, that's what Buick needs to do. This car looks much better than the Avalon.
    Saw my first Lucerne today. Very nice, really stands out on the road and looks much more substantial than the LaCrosse. LaCrosse needs the Lucerne grill!

Anyway, I was very impressed. I'm sure the guy driving just took delivery, it was very shiny and clean.
    I saw two base models at a local dealership. Both had the bench seats. My only complaint was the wood trim looked fake. Of course it is fake, but it would nice if it wasnt so obvious.
    Does it maybe look better in the CXL ?
    It was as nice as I expected. Quiet, although maybe not quite as much as I had expected, and a smooth, comfortable ride. It may have been a little noisier because of the nice little rumble from the V-8. Couldn't get a great look at the interior because it was dark, but everything seemed very nice and the layout seemed to make sense. Hopefully the dealer will have one in the color I want in the next week or so.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I agree with you about the large steering wheel. I think all GM vehicles have oversized steering wheels, which may be good for an old man, but it takes away from a sporty feel. Most other car manufacturers gives you smaller steering wheels which is more sporty and easier to control.

Next step for GM, reduce the size of your steering wheels!
  • ericdrivesericdrives Member Posts: 10
    I'm interested in a fully loaded CXS to replace a '96 Cadillac STS. For the most part, all the "toys" of the older STS have trickled down into the new Buick (plus some cool new ones, e.g., ventilated seats).

I've been unable to see a loaded Lucerne in person and the brochure confuses me a little. One of the cool new toys I want is the Radio Data System (RDS). The brochure implies that if you upgrade to a 6-disc changer, you lose the RDS. Can anyone confirm or contradict this interpretation?

Thanks.

Eric
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    This is a very nice car. I wonder if they will have the "faux" wood trim around the window switches as well. The Lacross now need porthoes to meet with the new again buick trend (very good, IMO).

The lacrosse just needs a new platform, though. This way it would be big on the outside AND inside. The Lucerne should help buick alot. They need to make sure its not just a lucky car, but that the whole buick line gets the attention the Lucerne got.

AND, how about some wood like trim on the Lacrosse sterring wheel!

Ok, thats all for my rant. Sorry :blush:
  • minarets1minarets1 Member Posts: 49
    Well, i must start off by saying i am more then delighted with this car. upon driving by the dealer yest. i saw a black on black CXS sitting in the front of the dealer. had to see it up close.

now before i really get into it i must admit, i am 24 years old and when i think Buick i think of AARP, wipser 2000, prunes and their juice. i have never ever ever said, "wow, thats a nice Buick."

from the onset, this one was a "wow, thats a nice Buick" i test drive cars almost religiously. if its new and out, i have prolly attempted to drive it. i am n the market for a new car in the near future and have been looking at the Acura TL, Infiniti G35 andthe new Chevy Impala SS...all somewhat sportier vehicles then the Buick, obviously.

i have been reading a lot of Buick new push of quality. "fine French stitching," "1cm gaps in sheetmetal" etc,

well this def looked veddy veddy nice. the black paint with all the chrome accents was stunning. the grille, while big, was nice looking (as nice as a Buick logo can look to a 24 year old). the back end was almost the most impressive thing to me. it looked so "un-domestic" looked great imo. i did not realize the air vents were different for the the models. 4 for the V8 and the rest have 3. the wheels looked nice and not cheap looking like the Chrysler 300C chrome coated wheels look and feel. the chrome trim really was luxurious and stunning.

upon the saleman coming over i asked to take a ride. the first thing i always do is sit in the drivers seat, adjust to my liking and then get out and sit directly behind me to see what kind of leg room i will have. i am 6'0 and 250lbs...i want comfort and i know there will always be more room behind my wife then me, so if i am comfortable behind "me" most should be. well, i was. nice room in the back and the first thing that took my attention away was the leather.
    the leater was the nicest leather i have felt on any of the previous models i have mentioned thus far. most are to "thin" feeling or too "waxy". these seemes plush and soft. two thumbs up here. i wasnt a huuuuge fn of the leather design on the seats, but that is minor.

well back to the front and i must say, i am really lovin GM's push of the remote starters. for some those are needless, but i love it. here in Nashvegas, TN we get a taste of all weather. so if i can get a remote that will heat my seats and defrost my windown in the morning and cool my seats and crank up the AC in the summer, i am impressed.

the dash is nice. still not quite European, but as far as a domestic goes, its as nice as i have seen. the wood is nice, fake or not. the guages could be better, but still no complaints. the steering wheel is too big though. not a fan. another complaint is, and to some this is no big deal, but it bothers me--the center radio controls and such just look out of place for me. you have all this nice wood on the dash, and on the shifter, and then this black plastic board plugged in with knobs. to be fair, this design is leaps and bounds better then the previous GM interiors that cross over on so many vehicles, but there really and truely is no difference in this and the Impala SS stack that is much less $$. it still "works." also of note, the seats had great lumbar support, plus the very nice leather made it enjoyable. i am sure this would be a nice "trip taker."

the Northstar V8 has plenty of punch, but i do wish they had used the same engine the SS got. 303hp would be great, but i know to the target buyer this is not needed. it would def help bring in the underage crowd (underage typical Buick owner). the car coners decently, but again, this is no BMW 3series, and it does a great job of being what it is--a moderately luxurious car, that look and feels good for a pretty good price. i know they are trying to compete with the Avalon and ES300. i think it can for any open-minded individual. it looks better then both of those, imo. sure some will want Lexus' unheralded quality but Buick is right behind them according to JD Powers.

again, as a 24 year old with a wife and child, this is a car i would consider, much to my suprise. it has almost every feature i want (remote starter, plenty of leg room, good stereo, aux for ipod, good looks, V8)

2 things that are lacking for me personally, that i want, HIDs (bi-xenon headlamps) and at least a 60/40 split in thebackseat. there is only a console pass through.

but as i have seen there is no perfect car. everyone that i have driven and considered has its plusses and minusses. this car is a winner.

you can bet that i will be considering this car in about 6 months when ready to buy. my father-in-law is a GM employee and i have been looking and waiting for a GM car that catches my eye enough to actually own and use the discount. i will be so bold t say this is the best looking GM sedan i have ever seen besides the CTS-V (and i know the differences are slight but the CTS-V to me looks light years better then the CTS). i never imagined that i would come home and tell my wife, i like a buick, but i did.

Buick has themself a winner

i apologize for all the spelling and grammar mistakes, been up all night with my 6 day old , and sorry to continually ramble on about this car, but it has me excited. go drive one for yourself.
    MT "reviews" the Lucerne in the new COTY issue and they were generally positive but somewhat dismissive of the car and th DTS. They were most complimentary of the car's handling, they didnt sat too much about the interior or features. The test numbers were as follows: 7.5secs to 60, 132ft braking, .82 skidpad and 60.9 slalom (faster than Avalon). Unfortunately the 0-60 time was FAR slower than the Avalon and the new Azera and MT mentioned that the Azera was faster, almost as roomy and far cheaper. Of course in terms of styling the Lucerne is better than either car. MT basically related the car to the Olds Aurora which I suppose is a good thing.

I saw a black CXS at my nearest dealer, looked good.

I am 26 years old and the Lucerne is better looking than the 300 and Avalon in my opinion. If I had more power I would really want one, but it needs to be faster at this price point. That said, most potential buyers wont care.
    Very nice review. You hit all the high and low points very well. What are your opinions on the LaCrosse? Please post on the LaCrosse forum.

Thanks.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Interesting post. Thanks for the review and your opinions on the new Lucerne. My search will begin in early '06.