Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Congrats on the new ride!

How is the audio system with those Harman/Kardon speakers?

Is there any wind noise at highway speeds?
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Bob,
    Congrads on getting a Lucerne!! I too own import cars at the moment. It would be great if you could let us know about your Lucerne experience when time allows. I don't blame you for being excited! This is the first American car that has caught my eye in a long time!

Hope the Lucerne treats you well!
    SV
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,461
    Eye-catching was the black Lucerne with the chrome wheels in the dealer's service area. It looked like a European car or Lexus style car.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Whatever you can tell the forum from an owner's viewpoint about the car will be appreciated. My search will begin this April, probably, and this is the first offering from GM I have considered in a long time (been driving Avalons since '98).

Buick may have a winner here. Drove many of them for 25 years, up to 1990. Then went foreign like a lot of other people. Thanks.
    The only unusual thing is that the suspensions vary among all three levels. The lower seems to be aimed at base LeSabre drivers just wanting good ride. The middle level has improved quality of struts and the top has the electromagnetic control struts. Do I have that right?

I would want to test drive all three levels or at least the lower two to see if there's a difference in control I care about.
  • jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    Picked up my new CX yesterday (Ming Blue/Cashmere). Here are first impressions (about 90 miles on it so far):

Quiet tuning much more effective than in LaCrosse - wind and road noise almost non-existant. 3800 V-6 seems smoother at idle than 2002 LeS. Fuel economy on 70 mile highway trip at 68-70 mph showed 28.9 - but I am curious to see what the mileage will be after a few thousand miles. Previous Buick V-6's owned (2002 LeSabre and 2003 Park Avenue) were excellent. Cloth upholstery is much higher quality (both feel and fit) than before. Color combination is beautiful - in fact, after seeing my car come off the truck (I ordered it early Oct) - the dealer put in orders for 3 more identically equipped. Havent had a chance to try CD in Harmon/Kardon system, but stereo/XM sounds great, and feature that shows presets is neat - combines all 3 bands. Only one detraction - steering wheel seems bigger than it has to be, tho I can tell they made it that way so one could see instruments. Exterior quality fit/finish is superb - Buick is correct in that regard. Even 16-in wheels look great. Trunk space is down a little from LeSabre, although the trunk is not as shallow as the Park Ave's was. Controls feel substantial - especially climate controls and power windows. More to come as I put some miles on!
  • Just a few more comments on my CXS.. The quiet tuning is incredible. The other day i was on expressway doing 85 mph in HEAVY winds and the car is absolutely silent. Much quieter than my A6 was thats for sure. The stereo works great! It has a very nice soundstage around the driver. The controls are very well placed as well. My only minor complaint is that the speedometer is a little tough to see in daylight as it is pretty far recessed into the dash. The doors have that solid THUNK as they close etc. GM really payed attention to the details (stainless door sills, etc.). I didnt drive the other models so i can say about their handling but I couldn't be happier with the handling of the CXS! No floaties whatsover! I've already had three sets of people ask me what kind of car i was driving! You should of seen their faces when i told them a BUICK!! :surprise: .. They all thought it was a lexus! Way to go GM!!

bob
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I saw the first ads for the lucerne on TV today. One was about the 1 millimeter gaps between the panels and the other was about the heated washer fluids. One commercial shows the CXL model with the 17" rims and the other is the CXS. I'm glad to see they are focusing on the features in the ads, that's what Buick needs to do. This car looks much better than the Avalon.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Saw my first Lucerne today. Very nice, really stands out on the road and looks much more substantial than the LaCrosse. LaCrosse needs the Lucerne grill!

Anyway, I was very impressed. I'm sure the guy driving just took delivery, it was very shiny and clean.
    I saw two base models at a local dealership. Both had the bench seats. My only complaint was the wood trim looked fake. Of course it is fake, but it would nice if it wasnt so obvious.
    Does it maybe look better in the CXL ?
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    It was as nice as I expected. Quiet, although maybe not quite as much as I had expected, and a smooth, comfortable ride. It may have been a little noisier because of the nice little rumble from the V-8. Couldn't get a great look at the interior because it was dark, but everything seemed very nice and the layout seemed to make sense. Hopefully the dealer will have one in the color I want in the next week or so.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    I agree with you about the large steering wheel. I think all GM vehicles have oversized steering wheels, which may be good for an old man, but it takes away from a sporty feel. Most other car manufacturers gives you smaller steering wheels which is more sporty and easier to control.

Next step for GM, reduce the size of your steering wheels!
  • I'm interested in a fully loaded CXS to replace a '96 Cadillac STS. For the most part, all the "toys" of the older STS have trickled down into the new Buick (plus some cool new ones, e.g., ventilated seats).

I've been unable to see a loaded Lucerne in person and the brochure confuses me a little. One of the cool new toys I want is the Radio Data System (RDS). The brochure implies that if you upgrade to a 6-disc changer, you lose the RDS. Can anyone confirm or contradict this interpretation?

Thanks.

Eric
  • This is a very nice car. I wonder if they will have the "faux" wood trim around the window switches as well. The Lacross now need porthoes to meet with the new again buick trend (very good, IMO).

The lacrosse just needs a new platform, though. This way it would be big on the outside AND inside. The Lucerne should help buick alot. They need to make sure its not just a lucky car, but that the whole buick line gets the attention the Lucerne got.

AND, how about some wood like trim on the Lacrosse sterring wheel!

Ok, thats all for my rant. Sorry :blush:
  • Well, i must start off by saying i am more then delighted with this car. upon driving by the dealer yest. i saw a black on black CXS sitting in the front of the dealer. had to see it up close.

now before i really get into it i must admit, i am 24 years old and when i think Buick i think of AARP, wipser 2000, prunes and their juice. i have never ever ever said, "wow, thats a nice Buick."

from the onset, this one was a "wow, thats a nice Buick" i test drive cars almost religiously. if its new and out, i have prolly attempted to drive it. i am n the market for a new car in the near future and have been looking at the Acura TL, Infiniti G35 andthe new Chevy Impala SS...all somewhat sportier vehicles then the Buick, obviously.

i have been reading a lot of Buick new push of quality. "fine French stitching," "1cm gaps in sheetmetal" etc,

well this def looked veddy veddy nice. the black paint with all the chrome accents was stunning. the grille, while big, was nice looking (as nice as a Buick logo can look to a 24 year old). the back end was almost the most impressive thing to me. it looked so "un-domestic" looked great imo. i did not realize the air vents were different for the the models. 4 for the V8 and the rest have 3. the wheels looked nice and not cheap looking like the Chrysler 300C chrome coated wheels look and feel. the chrome trim really was luxurious and stunning.

upon the saleman coming over i asked to take a ride. the first thing i always do is sit in the drivers seat, adjust to my liking and then get out and sit directly behind me to see what kind of leg room i will have. i am 6'0 and 250lbs...i want comfort and i know there will always be more room behind my wife then me, so if i am comfortable behind "me" most should be. well, i was. nice room in the back and the first thing that took my attention away was the leather.
    the leater was the nicest leather i have felt on any of the previous models i have mentioned thus far. most are to "thin" feeling or too "waxy". these seemes plush and soft. two thumbs up here. i wasnt a huuuuge fn of the leather design on the seats, but that is minor.

well back to the front and i must say, i am really lovin GM's push of the remote starters. for some those are needless, but i love it. here in Nashvegas, TN we get a taste of all weather. so if i can get a remote that will heat my seats and defrost my windown in the morning and cool my seats and crank up the AC in the summer, i am impressed.

the dash is nice. still not quite European, but as far as a domestic goes, its as nice as i have seen. the wood is nice, fake or not. the guages could be better, but still no complaints. the steering wheel is too big though. not a fan. another complaint is, and to some this is no big deal, but it bothers me--the center radio controls and such just look out of place for me. you have all this nice wood on the dash, and on the shifter, and then this black plastic board plugged in with knobs. to be fair, this design is leaps and bounds better then the previous GM interiors that cross over on so many vehicles, but there really and truely is no difference in this and the Impala SS stack that is much less $$. it still "works." also of note, the seats had great lumbar support, plus the very nice leather made it enjoyable. i am sure this would be a nice "trip taker."

the Northstar V8 has plenty of punch, but i do wish they had used the same engine the SS got. 303hp would be great, but i know to the target buyer this is not needed. it would def help bring in the underage crowd (underage typical Buick owner). the car coners decently, but again, this is no BMW 3series, and it does a great job of being what it is--a moderately luxurious car, that look and feels good for a pretty good price. i know they are trying to compete with the Avalon and ES300. i think it can for any open-minded individual. it looks better then both of those, imo. sure some will want Lexus' unheralded quality but Buick is right behind them according to JD Powers.

again, as a 24 year old with a wife and child, this is a car i would consider, much to my suprise. it has almost every feature i want (remote starter, plenty of leg room, good stereo, aux for ipod, good looks, V8)

2 things that are lacking for me personally, that i want, HIDs (bi-xenon headlamps) and at least a 60/40 split in thebackseat. there is only a console pass through.

but as i have seen there is no perfect car. everyone that i have driven and considered has its plusses and minusses. this car is a winner.

you can bet that i will be considering this car in about 6 months when ready to buy. my father-in-law is a GM employee and i have been looking and waiting for a GM car that catches my eye enough to actually own and use the discount. i will be so bold t say this is the best looking GM sedan i have ever seen besides the CTS-V (and i know the differences are slight but the CTS-V to me looks light years better then the CTS). i never imagined that i would come home and tell my wife, i like a buick, but i did.

Buick has themself a winner

i apologize for all the spelling and grammar mistakes, been up all night with my 6 day old , and sorry to continually ramble on about this car, but it has me excited. go drive one for yourself.
    MT "reviews" the Lucerne in the new COTY issue and they were generally positive but somewhat dismissive of the car and th DTS. They were most complimentary of the car's handling, they didnt sat too much about the interior or features. The test numbers were as follows: 7.5secs to 60, 132ft braking, .82 skidpad and 60.9 slalom (faster than Avalon). Unfortunately the 0-60 time was FAR slower than the Avalon and the new Azera and MT mentioned that the Azera was faster, almost as roomy and far cheaper. Of course in terms of styling the Lucerne is better than either car. MT basically related the car to the Olds Aurora which I suppose is a good thing.

I saw a black CXS at my nearest dealer, looked good.

I am 26 years old and the Lucerne is better looking than the 300 and Avalon in my opinion. If I had more power I would really want one, but it needs to be faster at this price point. That said, most potential buyers wont care.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Very nice review. You hit all the high and low points very well. What are your opinions on the LaCrosse? Please post on the LaCrosse forum.

Thanks.
    Interesting post. Thanks for the review and your opinions on the new Lucerne. My search will begin in early '06.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    Needs to be faster? What for? Count off a half second or even a second and see if you think that will make a perceptible difference if floored to reach 60. I think some of us have become obsessed with meaningless 0-60 acceleration numbers. Now if the difference were above 3 seconds, then we might have room to complain. What really counts is how the car drives and accelerates in the real world. Who floors it and holds it to reach 60?
    Right on.

It's the torque that counts for most of us unless you're driving a manual and downshifting at 5000 rpm to take a corner at 35 mph and accelerate out of the hot corner.

It's how the motor with its torque matches the gearing in the transmission, 3, 4, 5, or whatever speeds it has that makes the car feel strong and good and always in the right gear for you!
  • Answering my own question... The upgraded stereo with 6-disc changer does have RDS.

Went down for a test drive today. Dealer had one CXS and claims there are 4 test drives scheduled for today.

The "White Gold Flash" paint is cool but I'm too cheap to pay $1000 for paint. Otherwise the car seems great. Mrs. Eric loves it.

Eric
    To each his own preference in paint. I like the White Gold flash, but there was any earlier white flash on the Celebration LeSabres that I thought was neater, diamond pearl white maybe... I would and did pay extra for the Crimson Pearl 3 layer paint. Love the red that was on many Cadillacs for some years before 03. Love having a Buick that's not a quiet, calm color. Think the extra cost was $600 when I bought ours.

As striking as the Lucerne is a few strong colors like BMW uses might get some buyers in for a "noticeable" color.

However the black with chrome v8 the dealer had in service when I looked was great. I had a black Olds once, but I'd do the frequent cleaning for the black again.
    Regarding the colors, the dealer I'm looking at has 2 CXSs in, the white gold and the crimson pearl (red). Think I'm taking the red they have in stock, although the white is nice as well. (If the red is gone by Monday, I'll go with the white one, in all likelihood.) Figure the $500 I save on the red paint will fund a portable nav system.
  • What are they asking for an 06' CSX? How much (%-wise) off of sticker?
    Yes.... another request here for actual prices paid. Share the info if you have a minute as anyone reading these boards would like to know what these things actually sell for, plus local taxes, etc....
    Most GM vehicle radios have it but often it's not mentioned in the literature which makes it confusing if you are looking for it. Our Montnana brochure said nothing but our Montana has it.
    I have a family member who works at the dealer, so I'm getting it at slightly less than invoice. However, another dealer told me they would charge $200 over invoice. Invoice on a CXS with an MSRP of just over $40K is about 37,400.

There are several websites that will allow you to send in inquiry to several local dealers to try to get pricing, so I'd suggest going that route if you're really interested. That's where I received the quote of 200 over invoice, and they didn't know me at all.
  • It's funny you mention the red ("Crimson Pearl") on Cadillacs. That's what I'll be trading in on my new Lucerne. I wonder if it's the same color on the Buick. Some newer Caddy's have a darker red I don't like as much, and I think they still called it Crimson Pearl. The older red is a beautiful color, and I still get compliments. It was a $1000 option in 1996, now it's only $500 on the Buick. But I'm still too cheap to pay for paint (I bought the Caddy used so some other chump paid the $1000 premium).