Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• kfrielkfriel Member Posts: 31
    I'm keenly interested in the Lucerne. Love the styling. To my eye it resembles (vauguely) the Maserati Quattroporte coach lines.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I read th review in C&D today and they were generally positve. I was surprised by their praise for the interior, they were really loving it. They called the exterior bland and derivative, which I dont agree with. I was glad to see 0-60 time was under 7secs which is where I felt it should've been all along. The Lucerne interior looks much better with the Nav screen so I'll be glad when it becomes available.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    I took a quick look at the C and D review at a magazine rack...I thought the review's author was a knucklehead. I'd give him a hint: just review the damn car, don't continue stereotypes. Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I'm 41, act like I'm 21 (sometimes)and my wife is a former model (now doctor) and, gee, I LIKE Buicks. Oh, and I've lived all over the world in big trendy cities and I actually have hair gel in my bathroom and I've hung out at Hollywood parties. Here's a secret: They're reliable, fast and the insurance is a bargain. I used to live in LA and I've seen enough black Beemers to last a lifetime...
  • chgo29chgo29 Member Posts: 6
    I gotta ask. I see that expression all the time - and I don't know what they're talking about. What is a black Beemer? Cliff
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    To my eye it resembles (vauguely) the Maserati Quattroporte coach lines.

Perhaps squinting really hard after two doses of scotch... :D
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    What is a black Beemer?

I see them all the time. A black BMW. Do they come in other colors? ;)
  • kfrielkfriel Member Posts: 31
    evandro, Preferably a single malt! As for the "Black Bimmer" My understanding is that is the classic "I don't really know anything about cars nor care enough to look into it much but my neighbor has one so perhaps I should have one too" car.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    algee,

I believe I feel your pain (literally).....so am I to assume you have an Avalon? And if so, what year?
    Are you having any issues with your front seats? Seems like no matter what I do.....how I adjust the seats.....I have lower back pain the longer I drive my Avalon. It really ticks me off and surprised me......so we may be in the same boat......"What a mistake I made".....sounds very similiar to what I feel at this moment!
    Exactly. Sorry, I'll call it a Bimmer insteed of Beemer. Whatever. Go Beverly Hills and play Find The Car that's Not a Black BMW or Mercedes.

Kinda scary. Our entertaiment business, marching in paranoid lockstep....
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    I have a 2006 Avalon Limited. Those front seats are horrible and I have the same problem as you.

THe shift hesitation bothers me too. If you have an emergency situation and need to punch it, you loose about 1-2 seconds while it makes up its mind to go.

I am now beginning to hate this car and that is the first time in my life with lots of cars I felt that way.

Hope all works out well for you

Al
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I looked at the new Avalon before I bought my LaCrosse CXS. The Avalon seats were a major show stopper for me. The seat bottoms are very short unless you get the optional seat extenders. Toyota actually shortened the length of the seats from the previous styled version and took away the height adjustment on the power pasenger seat. The LaCrosse has at least for me very comfortable seats. I sat in the Lucerne and those seats are even better.
    The seats rated very highly in a quantitative comparison to the old Camry and Lexus 300. The only complaints I have heard are the bottom length is a bit too long for those with shorter legs. Always a compromise that has to be worked out. Looks like Avalon spent the extra on the optional seat extenders. Often these add ons are less comfortable. How did the seat bottom extenders feel?
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    Wow, that stinks. Sorry to hear it. Drove my CXS from Philly to Pittsburgh and back, about 5 hours one way, without any problems like that. Of course, had my back started bothering me, I could have just put the heated seats on to try to loosen it up.

Only complaints I have are minor. Don't like how wide the turning radius is, and the "coin holder" is a pain to deal with when you're actually driving. Even my teenage nephews love this car, almost as much as the convertible Camaro SS I own.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I just read in the March 2006 issue of Car and Drive magazine how the new 2006 Buick Lucerne tests out at 68 db when the car is driven at 70 mph.

GM has stated that the car is very quiet but this reading is not significantly impressive in view of the fact that a number of the Lucerne's competitors such as the new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr and the always impressive Acura TL are also very quiet.

So just how does this reading distinguish the new Lucerne from the competition?

In view of all the hype regarding how quiet the Lucerne is, the 70 mph reading should be substantially lower.

Does anyone who has the new Lucerne CXS think it is quieter than the 68 db reading would suggest?
    Does anyone who has the new Lucerne CXS think it is quieter than the 68 db reading would suggest?

How do you have any idea what 68 db even means? I worked in the noise area for years and 68 db means nothing to me unless you take into context the type of noise that is being produced.

GM has stated that the car is very quiet

From what I have read from independent reviewers the car is very quiet.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    The Avalon seat extender helped provide more support for the thigh, but that only helps the driver. I don't think there is an extender for the passenger, plus I believe it is only available on the expensive limited model. Toyota products in general have short seat bottoms relative to most American and Honda/Acura products. I think it comes down to whatever one is used to. The Lucerne/Lacrosse seats are very comfortable, though the Lacrosse seat could use a little more side support.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    After sitting in the Lucerne seats... the bucket seats with console are far less comfortable than the seats in my 2003 Avalon. The Lucerne split seat option with no console has a much better feel and would be my personal choice if the sides were supportive enough.. did not have time for the test drive while at the dealer and it was raining hard anyway. Fit-and-finish looked great.
  • 2bobp662bobp66 Member Posts: 7
    I have a black CXS and all i can say is it is the quietest overall car I have ever ridden in. This includes LS430's, A6's (my tradein), avalons, etc. It's almost eery quite. The only sound that you notice is the throaty burble of the V8! :D

Hope this helps!!
    bob
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    algee,

Thanks for your response, as well with everyone who responded.....I can tell you this....I have owned MANY cars in my day.....and this is the first time I can honestly say that I have had any type of seat issue...especially to the point of wanting to get rid of the car.....my commute is 45-60 minutes one way and by the time I get to work or get home after the commute my lower back is really sore.....no matter how I try and adjust the seat and the lumbar support.....to me the lumbar support feels like a pointed spear that is being pushed into my back.....instead of a somewhat rounded lumbar.....
    Anyway....I am going to get into another vehicle as soon as I can.....this stuff is for the birds! I have driven the Lucerne......and I must admit.....the car was real nice! In other words, this is no longer your daddy's Buick!
    Good luck to you in your search for trying to solve your problem.....as it sounds.....we both have the same type of issues!
    I don't know what that number should me in comparison either. I do know that this is by far the quietest car I have ever been in, by far. At first it was strange at how quiet it was, although I've now gotten used to it.
    I don't know what that number should me in comparison either. I do know that this is by far the quietest car I have ever been in, by far. At first it was strange at how quiet it was, although I've now gotten used to it.

Did you drive the LaCrosse and was it as quiet?
    Noise: Very low in Lucerne. 62vettefp is absolutely right. dB means nothing unless it's defined by frequency. Get a low enough frequency and most people probably couldn't hear a 68 dB noise. Get a much higher frequency (twig snap, say) and your ears would pick up at 30 dB. Humans are designed to avoid getting eaten by other animals. The ears are very selective. They filter out low frequency and hone in on mid-high frequency. dB 'tests' as measured by car magazines are generally worthless.

To my human ears, the Lucerne is very quiet, quieter than the Avalon.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Very true. I subscribe to a foreign car magazine and besides the dB, they also perform a spectrum evaluation to pass judgment on how noisy a car is.
  • vantheman1vantheman1 Member Posts: 18
    hi i am thinking of buying a lucerne, as i have 147,000 miles on my 1997 olds aurora...but my olds is still running great so i can wait a while.....i am wondering if anyone knows when navigation will be available on the lucerne, and what improvements might occur with the 2007, such as a 5 speed transmission, 4 wheel drive option etc...if anyone knows please respond...thanks...
    Not sure of the changes but I really doubt the 6 speed will be on the 2007 model. There is also no way it will become 4 wheel drive on this architecture. Nav is supposed to be available later this spring.

Glad to hear you like your Olds!
  • bunky36bunky36 Member Posts: 94
    Can anyone tell me where the Driver Information Center is on the Lucerne, and what information it presents? I've gotten very attached to the ones in the Pontiacs I've owned including my present '04 Bonneville GXP. Lucerne is on my radar as a replacement in a couple years, and while I could live without the HUD (although I like it a lot), I'd not be happy if the Driver Information Center was not at least as good as the Bonneville's.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Some displays (from the owners manual) available:

Fuel Range
    Press the trip/fuel button until FUEL RANGE displays.
    This display shows the approximate number of
    remaining miles (mi) or kilometers (km) the vehicle can
    be driven without refueling.
    The fuel range estimate is based on an average of the
    vehicle’s fuel economy over recent driving history
    and the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank.
    This estimate will change if driving conditions change.
    For example, if driving in traffic and making frequent
    stops, this display may read one number, but if
    the vehicle is driven on a freeway, the number may
    change even though the same amount of fuel is in the
    fuel tank. This is because different driving conditions
    produce different fuel economies. Generally, freeway
    driving produces better fuel economy than city driving.
    If your vehicle is low on fuel, the FUEL LEVEL LOW
    message will be displayed. See “FUEL LEVEL LOW”
    under DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-56
    for more information.
    Average Economy
    Press the trip/fuel button until AVG ECONOMY displays.
    This display shows the approximate average miles
    per gallon (mpg) or liters per 100 kilometers (L/100 km).
    This number is calculated based on the number of
    mpg (L/100 km) recorded since the last time this menu
    item was reset. To reset AVG ECONOMY, press and
    hold the set/reset button. The display will return to zero.
    Instantaneous Economy
    Press the trip/fuel button until INST ECONOMY displays.
    This display shows the current fuel economy at a
    particular moment and will change frequently as driving
    conditions change. This display shows the instantaneous
    fuel economy in miles per gallon (mpg) or liters per
    100 kilometers (L/100 km). Unlike average economy,
    this screen cannot be reset.
    Average Speed
    Press the trip/fuel button until AVERAGE SPEED
    displays. This display shows the average speed of the
    vehicle in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per
    hour (km/h). This average is calculated based on the
    various vehicle speeds recorded since the last reset of
    this value. To reset the value, press and hold the
    set/reset button. The display will return to zero.

Also:

Oil life – various warnings, etc.

Does this help?
    - Ray
    Addicted to the HUD as well as the DIC . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yep. Thanks! Where is the DIC located on the Lucerne? I've never been too happy with the location on the Bonneville -- you have to peek around the right side of the steering wheel to see all of it. Not too good for trying to keep one's eyes mostly on the road.

Bill
  • vantheman1vantheman1 Member Posts: 18
    thank you....62veteefp...
    I did not, although I understand from my brother, who works at a dealer, that the LaCrosse is also very quiet.
    The info appears in the same gage as the speedometer. You have to press buttons on the left of the dash to get through the information.
    OK. Thanks!
  • eric6eric6 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

A sore back is also my concern after the long commute. What have you heard about the Lucerne seats? Did it feel comfortable when you sat in it? How was the head room? I am looking for a large sedan, with comfort and easy access being a very high priority. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric
    see 765 and 766 for user comments
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    All gasolines do not have the same additive packages. The following is from Top Tier Gasoline Follow the link to see which gasolines meet the top tier standards.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That’s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.
    I have a CXS. I am 6'3" and weigh about 260. I've been on 5 hour trips w/ the car, w/ no back pains whatsoever. I have excellent leg room and head room, and the car has the sun roof. I have two settings for the seats, one for when I have passengers in the rear. Even w/ the seat up, I have plenty of leg room, more than in my '98 Regal. Not sure, but I don't believe I even have the seat all of the way back.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I sat in the Lucerne at the Philly autoshow and the material quality was impressive. Everythign was well put together to my eyes. I actually liked the light colored interior better, it makes the interior look more luxurious. I was hoping they had a car with Nav there but they did not. Quite a few people were checking out the Lucerne and not all were retirees.
    I'm glad that they didn't have the nav in one. Was originally mad because they didn't have nav available when they first came out, and when I bought mine. Funny how noisy other cars sound now after driving the Lucerne for a while.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    I plan on buying a CXL V8 in the next few months and wonder if the OnStar Directions & Connections feature is a good substitute for a nav system. Has anyone tried it out and if so, what do you think? What are the pros and cons of using it vs. a regular nav system w/display?
    It depends on what you want.

My opinion on +'s and -'s

The indash nav looks cool, hard to input address while driving, needs expensive updates every few years to stay up to date, gives out real time directions while driving, has initial high cost (~$2000),

OnStar has no initial cost but monthly fee (but as part of this fee you get other benefits), hands free location of address(just push the button), can also just ask for nearest whatever and the live advisor will find it (ie gas station, mcdonalds), does not give real time directions. This is the only real negative of the OnStar nav. When you ask for directions the live advisor says: go 3 miles, turn right, go 1.5 miles turn left on XXX, go blah, blah, blah and that is about where I give up. They do now have a recorder that records the directions and you can play them back which really helps.

BUT, they just announced a new system that will give you real time directions as you drive. Not sure when it will get into the LuCerne but it will be one of the first GM cars to get it. It will also have a cheaper monthly rate. The way it works is you tell the live advisor where you want to go and they download it to your car. The car then gives out the real time directions as you drive. The only negative to this system that I can think of is that you do not get the cool screen.
  • jh1977jh1977 Member Posts: 40
    Can any of you Car Experts out there explain to me why GM does not offer 3 different engines for the 2006 Buick Lucerne? If the Lucerne had 3 different engines I believe more people like myself would consider buying the car. I currently own a 2001 Buick Lesabre. Chrysler offers 4 different engines for its 300 Sedan. For those of us who do not want the V-8 Cadallic Engine in which premium gas is recommend and the 3800 Engine (Which will cease production in 2008) which is now for the Senior Citizens, the Lucerne should have another V-6 engine with modern up to date technology which provides good acceleration going from zero to 60 MPR within 8.0 seconds. The 2005 Buick Lesabre and earlier models can accelerate that fast. Can any of you Car Experts please give me some feedback. Thank You.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Thanks for the reply. Your last para describes the D&C system that I am talking about. One year of it comes standard with the new Lucerne. As I understand it, OnStar op generates a route solution on their computer and then downloads via satellite to your onboard system. From then on you hear computer generated directions like a nav system would give in your own car.

What I want to know is has anyone actually tried this new system and compared it to a traditional nav system with a display. Should I go for it rather than the traditional kind?
    What I want to know is has anyone actually tried this new system and compared it to a traditional nav system with a display. Should I go for it rather than the traditional kind?

No one in the public has tried it that I know of because it is not out yet. It was explained to me about 3 years ago and was one reason LaCrosse did not get the Nav screen. I believe the OnStar nav system will beat the heck out of the screen nav IF the monthly bill is not too high. The only other reason it may not do as well is because buyers will prefer the appearance of the cool screen.
    Plant complexity and development costs are the reasons why only two engines. The old Lesabre buyer will be happy with the 3800. They love that engine. Those that want a premium experience will get the V8 which DOES NOT need premium to run great. You are right that the 3.6L engine would be perfect for the car but it costs almost as much as a V8 so the difference in price would not be that much. However I would bet that when the 3800 goes away the 3.6 will go in.
    Thank you for replying to my message. What about putting the 3.9 Liter Engine (Currently in the 2006 Chevy Impala) in the Lucerne, would its cost be cheaper that the 3.6 Liter Engine?
    Yes, its cost is probabbly very close to the 3800, in fact cheaper since the 3800 is low volume now. Issue is that it is not as "premium" as a DOHC engine in many eyes. BUT it is a great replacement engine for the 3800 due to its increased HP.

Now why is the 3800 still around anyway? GM builds many millions of cars and trucks. To replace an entire engine family takes time and GM installs assembly tooling in modules. Each module builds XXX engines per year. They are very expensive modules and therefore GM adds modules in stages. There is one last 3800 module left in flint. The last question is how GM decided to use the last 3800's in the new Buicks (LaCrosse and Lucerne) instead of some other vehicle. Basically because the 3800 is a traditional Buick engine and loyal Buick buyers love it and the 3800 was already in those architectures. Perhaps not a good excuse to many out there who feel Buick should have ditched its traditional buyer and go premium (that means expensive) right away. Olds did that and you can see where that went.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I agree; I felt the Lucerne CXL V8 that I sat in was easily the best GM entry that I saw in the show; the only thing I didnt care for was the instrumentation.

~alpha
    Thank you for the information about the Buick Lucerne. You are very informative. GM should hire you and put you in their Public Relations Section. Sincerely.
    You do not know how close you came to my job description at GM that I left almost 2 years ago!! ( not PR but product manager at Buick)
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Just curious, why did you leave your job at GM?