Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - V

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
This topic is a continuation of Topic 1934....

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - IV. Please continue these
discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• dakotahelldakotahell Member Posts: 6
    The clunking and slop in the drivetrain is not isolated. It happens all of the time: warm, cold, flat surface, whatever.
    My near term plan: Going on vacation for a few weeks. I will have an independent shop (very large and reputable.....they have testified at arbitration hearings on the consumer's behalf against the big three in the past) do a diagnosis and estimate. Then I will take it to a dealership in thier area. If the independent shop believes there is a significant problem, and the dealership denys it, they will get involved on my behalf. What is it going to cost if they do get involved? The price of a diagnosis and estimate. THAT is customer service!! Will check back in a few weeks with results from near term plan.
  • badassbobbadassbob Member Posts: 78
    I know this is a nit-picky request, BUT, is there anyway, on the next time this topic is frozen and moved to another site that the name can be changed to the CORRECT vehicle title???

---------> DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB <----------

I know its trivial, but i did buy a $27000 Quad cab and NOT a Crew cab...Im sure some other "detail-oriented" people on the forum will concur...

Thanks and this is not a flame or complaint, just a request for the future when this topic hits 500 or so posts...(At the present rate..it will be next week)

CHAD
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    It's a pet pieve of mine too.Thanks Meredith.
    Allen-
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    Just wanted to clear that up.
    Allen-
  • impy2impy2 Member Posts: 50
    Just curious. Why does "Edmunds" have the Dodge Dakota listed as a "full size" truck? It is actually a "mid sized" truck. Its size is between a full size and a compact.
  • tiltboytiltboy Member Posts: 63
    I saw a recent post that stated 2001 dakota 4x4's would have electronic 4wd. No shift lever in floorboard. I have a friend who has an Explorer like this with nothing but problems. About half the time he has to get out and crawl under and flip the switch manually. I would prefer a manual shift lever in mine. If this is true would somebody confirm this. I may go searching for a 2000 instead of ordering a 2001. Seems like just another electronic part waiting to go bad. Any Thoughts?
  • ted61ted61 Member Posts: 6
    Isn't ENGAGED CONFERENCE ,PICKUPS TOPIC 1848 the forum for quad owners specifically.
    I read them both, not a big issue one way or the other.
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    Perhaps I'm just "old-fashioned," but I would concur that the electronic 4WD shift actuator is another potential problem waiting to happen.

More than that, there's something "missing" in having an electro-mechancial device replace the "feel" of correctly engaging 4WD... The "feel" of notching the lever smoothly under a "no-load" (accel/decel balance) situation.

Haven't seen the specs on the 2001 models yet... But the move to electronic shift wouldn't surprise me... Too bad.
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    I'm guessing the move to the electronic shift is being done to further support the claim that the quad is a 6-passenger truck. Doesn't it free up room at the middle of the front seating area? As we all know (quad owners), it really is better suited as a 4-adult passenger truck, or a 2-adult, 3-children passenger truck. I've got the front power bench, but the nice fat armrest/storage compartment is the real plus, not the hard-backed middle seating area you get with the armrest up...If you were to design a truck specifically for a group of 3-4 fishermen, you'd end up with the Quad. After a long day out on the Pacific, there's nothing better than the ride home, with all 4 guys resting in comfort, music softly playing, humming down the freeway with a bed full of fish and gear and effortlessly towing a 20' salt-water fishing boat. Ain't life grand?
    God I love this truck! Our sore butts and backs from bouncing through the swells for 6 hours sure feel better once they hit them Quad seats...kinda like pulling off your ski boots after a long day of skiing and slipping on a pair of tennis shoes...
    -quark
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Makes me kinda sad though, The Quad was named a couple of magazines' 'Truck of the Year.' One of them was Four Wheeler, Four Wheelin or some such (I've got a copy if anyone wants more specifics), and one of the MAIN issues was that the Quad had a 'stick' instead of a 'switch.' You can't believe how they loved (and talked about) the stick! Also, agree with quark - my sentiments exactly. But has anyone noticed that the 'major' mags waited a month or so PAST the point that the Dakota Quad was named T.O.Y by the two little mags BEFORE they upset the 'sweep' by giving their awards (grudgingly or barely, depending on which mag) to the Tundra. Hey, I like the Tundra too, but that was really 'interesting' timing. Even more so since Dodge had started a really agressive ad campaign for the Dakota Quad way back in 99, and Toyota came back out with specific ads showing their awards just after the new year. Hmmmm. I know, I know it's just coincidence, but...
  • resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    Has anyone ever used Brake Dust shields? The brake dust on the front wheels in just one week of driving is amazing. I don't wanna have to wash the wheels continously. At ~$30 it is not a bank breaker but if they don't work then I would rather spend that money on other toys.

Ordered an A.R.E. cap this weekend. They have a $20 coupon at their website. They know their website is not working and claim they are working on it. I checked prices on a bed cap at one place, Leonards which sells Astro. Called the A.R.E. dealer and mentioned I was shopping price. Gave me a quote over the phone. Matched the Astro price. Went into to pay and they price was $200 more than the quote!?! Turns out I had been talking to the owner over the phone and I had mentioned I was shopping price. Got the owner on the phone and he agreed to his phone quote. Should be here in two weeks. Astro cap was going to take 4-6 weeks.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    The price savings with the SLT depends on which options you want. When I looked at the options I needed, I saved over $100 with the SLT pkg. The SLT Plus pkg was a little more difficult for me. I did not NEED the T&H group, but I was able to convince my wife that the advantages of the SLT Plus pkg made it worthwhile.
  • jkinsleyjkinsley Member Posts: 20
    I had the new A.R.E. "Z" model cap installed on my black, Sport, 4wd QC about 10 days ago. I'm very pleased with the quality and appearance. I ordered it with the roof racks installed and it REALLY changes the whole look of the vehicle! On one hand it looks just a little bit like an 'elongated' Durango, ... but very unique!

If anybody wants to see what a "Z" cap looks like on a QC, email me and I'll send you some pics.

Now, if only my black Westin step bars and Safari bar would come in!
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    May be this is too simple, but how much gas do you have in the tank when you hear/feal the thump? I've noticed it only when I have about a 1/2 tank of gas. When the tank is full or empty, I don't get that slop (or thump) in the tank.
    Thanks man for saving me a big worry. The more I think about it, the more I believe you are correct. It only makes that noise when the fuel level is between 1/2 and 3/4. That has to be what I am feeling. I totally did not even think of that. Thanks again.
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    I can't believe that the 4WD stick would be dropped the year after it's been perfected! That smooth, solid linear shift between 2WD and 4WD is reassuring to use when encountering the unexpected soft fill from road construction, or a washout, at highway speeds! Could it be that the electronic shift will be offered with full time 4WD and the mechanical shift would be used for the part time 4WD?
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    2drive, this what happened to me with the Ford Explorer. My first one was ordered with 5 speed, manual locking (Warn type) hubs, and a manual transfer case shifter. It worked great, very simple. My son's Explorer had automatic transmission, automatically locking hubs, and an electronic transfer case switch. Results, his went into 4WD very mysteriously one day, would not come out, and the problem was diagnosed as the synchronizer motor for bringing the forward propeller (drive) shaft up to the same speed as the rear propeller (drive) shaft so that the transfer case could engage both shafts. Next thing
    was during a snowstorm, we were having dinner with our son and he had to start his crews (snow removal). Now it wouldn't go into 4WD and I told him to take my Explorer, take us home and bring it back the next day. It turned out to be the very same problem. I recently had a company lease, a Ford Expedition. Everything was automatic, but I only experienced a slight failure one time. But, there is the potential for failure. I personally don't like complicating things that are basically quite simple and unencumbered. However that is progress. Now if they would only bring back the Ford flat head V-8
    I would be able to understand engines again.

Bookitty
    I've driven sports cars - Porsches, Vettes, a Ferrari and a Pantera - plus a couple of GT's - a Trans Am and a Mustang for 27 years now, and the only thing the dust covers did was cook my front discs. Even the vented, slotted and drilled types. Different brake pad material will help some at the risk of some braking 'loss.' Just wash & WAX your wheels from new and keep em clean like everything else. The stock 15X7" wheels stay clean better than the others - I've got the 15X8's (the dirtiest) and the 17X9's (they are the second cleanest type) also.

Oh, and a WARNING: DO NOT take your Quad through a brushless wash right after you've engaged in some 'spirited' driving around town. The rocker panel blasters will WARP your front discs - just like they did mine! It cost $100 to 'turn' them. #-(
    Thanks for the tips about dust shields. I have the 15x8 wheels. I am used to lots of brake dust on the front wheels but I was suprised at the amount of dust on the rear wheels. I am putting this down to inital break-in. I am hoping that after a few miles the dust won't be as bad.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do you average when you are doing your spirited driving. I have the overhead computer and for the first time I can see how much gas I use when I do my thing. With current gas prices I haven't done it much as I commute 50+ miles a day and have been trying to extend intervals between $45 fillups. Driven easy I'm getting 19+mpg commuting but I expect a more aggressive style would get down in the 14mpg range reall quick. Rick
    iowa - getting about 14.5 with ANY combo of spirited driving, be it city or highway: 4.7/auto/3.55/non-lsd. Judging from the amount of 'higher mileages' listed here for months, I'd guess either the lsd option or driving w/o a/c on (mine is on constantly) would help this truck's mpg a LOT, irregardless of rear end ratio. My best mileage is at night on the i/state criusing at 65 mph: 18.5 mpg.

resqman - don't know what could be causing brake 'dust' on the rear drums, maybe it's just your driving conditions throwing 'nasties' through the rears? Unless it's early brake-in stuff 'leaching' from the drums, I haven't got a clue. Anyone? Oh, and if you don't drive in too spirited a fashion, the front dust shields should work fine - they may even help with the dreaded car wash 'warp' thing. If nothing else keep plenty of 'gentle' wheel cleaner around and use it often.
  • thewink1thewink1 Member Posts: 21
    i just left the dealer where they installed the leaf spring plastic inserts to replace the factory installed ones (incidendly they look identical in material and size to the original) while on the lift the mechanic noticed that the rear wishbone leaf spring shackles that connect the springs to the frame were rubbing metal to metal against the frame. he has now ordered the replacement shackles and rubber bushings which should solve the problem at least for now. he told me this is the second tsb job he has done on the new dakotas and in neither case did the tsb proceedure actually fix the problem. he was right it squeaked all the way home. they will have the correct parts in and installed by the end of the week. i don't know if the replacement will hold up in the long run. may be a design flaw that needs a nylon bushing or something more substantial than rubber to keep the metal parts from coming in contact with each other.
    Help me out on this. Remember that this Dakota is my first 4X4, so this may be a dumb question. I have the 5-speed club cab 4.7 liter with 3.92 gears, and a limited slip diff. I was playing in the mud in four wheel drive. (just to test out the 4WD) I noticed that when I would slowly go around a tight turn (either way) it felt like the rear wheels (or front...I could not tell) wanted to lock up on me. I put it back in 2WD and it felt fine in the tight turns. I put it back in 4WD high and it did it again. Is this natural? Does this have something to do with the front and rear wheels not turning at the same speed?
  • bobemotobobemoto Member Posts: 29
    Everybody seems to be getting better mileage than me, but I'm still only at 1500 miles.
    Typical city=14, typical highway=16.5.
    Medium throttle on 20-40mph twisty road causes it to drop into the 11's.
    I've got the 4.7L auto 4x4 with CA emissions, frequent AC with temps in the low 80's.
    i have a 4.7 L auto not 2wd with 5500 miles and my mileage is like yours. just finished a 2000 mile trip almost all interstate with cruise set at 75 the whole way and my mileage was never better than 16.5. i get around 13.5 around town.
  • tiltboytiltboy Member Posts: 63
    The quad has landed. Picked up my Bronze metallic 4.7l,4x4, 5sp, loaded up! Not concerned about the stick change for 4x4, because I mine has one now! Ride home was great. Everything seemed to check out fine. Paid invoice and used the FB discount. Now I just gotta sell the QC Ram. Anybody want one!
    bobemoto, possibly California emissions are the culprit.
    thewink1, if you are looking for better than 16.5mpg you wont find it with the cruise set on 75 based on my experience. Cruise set on 65 ought to give you 18.5 to 19.5 over relatively level terrain. Speeds over 65 and MPGs fall off rapidly.
    Impy, it is perfectly normal for 4WD engaged vehicles to feel that the axles are climbing over one another in tight turns. On dry surfaces the same feeling is sometimes compounded. It is resistance. In 4WD and 4Wheel Steer vehicles it still occurs but not as often. That is because they utilize an orbitrol system (the steering wheel continues to turn after you have reached full lock). Don't sweat it.

Bookitty
    Okay you made me do it! I said that you should go to the "owners club" section, find the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab listing, and sign up. You made me end a sentence with a preposition (Andy always ends a sentence with a proposition, but this isin't about Andy). Andy Jordan, Jack (themacguy) and Bonnie have combined efforts to build an owners club for Dodge Dakota. It is under the conference section, in the owners club listing. Let us support our group with intelligent and gently posted information and questions. The key word is "active."

Bookitty
    Post #27 pretty much nails it. And how.

bookitty - you're a strange one. ;-)
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Dakota production of 2001 models begins July 10th.
    A number of people have mentioned that they "shaved the badges" from their trucks.

I removed the dealer's little sticker within hours of taking it home. My fingernails worked O.K. for his trival little logo sticker but to remove the others I was wondering if anyone could recommend a process or tool or ??? to make it easier?

I want to remove the black flat decal that says Dodge on the tailgate and replace it with the 3D retro-reflective Dodge decal. The retro-reflective seems to fit better with the two tone paint and chrome bumpers. It looks more like chrome only shinier.
    Use a hair dryer, that should work - the newer the truck, the easier the removal.
    now that the issue of speed has been brought up, are those of you that are reporting the impressive mpg numbers (18-20) really maintaining your cruising speeds at 65 or less. it's my experience on the interstates in the south that the average speed is 75 and sometimes more. i'm just curious if i'm the only heavy footed quad owner or if you are all keeping the speed down to keep the mileage up. i never really thought of myself as a "speeder" i just move with the "flow"
    I consistently get in excess of 19.5 with the cruise set on 66-67 MPG. Interstate Speed limit in Iowa is 65MPH. When I travel in Nebraska where the limit is 75 the best I've gotten is 17.4MPG with the cruise set on 75MPH. By the way I have a Quad w/4.7L 5 speed, 3.55LSD - Rick
    Wink, with the same general specifications as Rick
    (iowabigguy) I usually can deliver about 18MPG, but this is mixed driving with the road portions at 60 MPH (55 posted speed). There are some areas of heavier traffic involved. Also, the run from my PA home to our NJ beach house is a tad over 65 miles one way.

Bookitty
    thanks for the info. i have the 4.7L automatic i wonder if the transmission has anything to do with the mpg difference we're getting? i am
    still getting about 1 mpg less than you (rick) under the same driving conditions. the only difference between our rigs is the transmission and i dont have the lsd rear end.
    I have 2500 miles on my club cab 5-speed 4.7 liter V8. (first oil change scheduled for monday.....its free at least.) I wanted to get into the pedal a little bit to she how she ran. I was in 2nd gear, punched the gas, and accidentally brought the tach all the way to 5000 RPM's (the beginning of the yellow line). I only had it there for about 1/2 second. I did not mean to push the engine this far. Could this have harmed anything with that low of miles and no oil change yet?
  • bobemotobobemoto Member Posts: 29
    I've never been one for long breakins. I think brief excursions into the upper regions are probably good for it by that mileage. And by the way mine has seen it a few times since 1000 miles or so. Dang, am I ending sentences in prepositions to?
    I believe the automatic is rated for better mileage in the city than the 5 speed. Highway they are rated the same. I suspect it is only driving style. Right now I am in a phase where I try to best my mileage over the previous tank. The instantaneous MPG display on the overhead computer is addictive to me, I suppose I'll get over it in time but right now it is still a game. I have noticed that only mildly agressive driving such as having to be the first away from a stop light has a much more negative impact on MPG than I would have thought. Maybe thats why I only averaged 13.5MPG in my 93 Club Cab 5.2L auto 3.55lsd. I didn't have the computer and loved blowing off Mustangs and Cameros. I suppose there are also minor production variations that could have a minor impact on MPG. Do your disc brakes drag more than mine? Is your tire pressure too low? Are your cylinder bores on the small side of the tolerances, increasing friction? Maybe your engine will need a few thousand more miles to smooth out. Are you using 10W30 instead of 5W30? I've got just over 2600 miles on my Quad. I plan on using Mobile 1 once I hit 5000 miles. Rick
    I drive 70 - 75 on the i/states out here in W TX, and 80 - 90 on a couple of stretches of extremely smooth (ruler flat) two lanes off the traffic routes (NEVER see a car on those roads). It's an unusally (lunar landscape) bleak environment out here in the oilpatch. You can guess my mpg pretty much sucks (fuel).

I've run a few auto-x out here with redline a pretty much normal occurrence. I doubt you've done any damage - these engines are exceptional. I didn't 'push' mine much during break-in, except for when my speed limiter wasn't 'working' at one point. ;->
    Like (iowabigguy), I'm trying for the best mileage right now. With 4.7 5spd 3.55lsd 215 tires, my last two tanks were 23.6 & 23.3. But I can't keep it there. I never went over 62MPH on either tank, just steady 42 mile drive to work on mostly 2 lane highway.
    The overhead computer is VERY addictive, but VERY educational. Anytime I top 65MPH the MPG drops fast. I've learned how far to be off the back of big trucks & vans to still be in their "draft" without tailgating. This really boosts your mileage. It's nothing for me to average 28-32 MPG @ 4 truck lengths behind a semi.
    Most importantly is just driving easy. I'm a big fan of "coasting" up to stops. I slip the stick out of 5th gear and coast till I'm down to at least 40 MPH (the computer will read 99 MPG).

Nothing easy about the next 9 days. We are going camping with the pop-up all next week, so I will be sucking the gas for the next couple of tanks. Memorial Day weekend we went camping with the pop-up, 15-16 MPG was all I could get.

Gas has dropped 30 cents a gallon here. Now I'm only paying 1.79. :|
    Due to the long Holiday week coming up. Please post only urgent info. I will be away from a computer for 9 days. At the rate we post here, that will take 5-6 hours to catch up when I get back home. I'm sure Boo is going to the beach and he might for get the lap top, so it would make it easier for everyone. :)
  • wantaquadwantaquad Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know with some certainty when we can start ordering the 2001's (Quad that is). I have been reading these posts for some time, and I'm sure that someone out there will know this answer. Also, along with ordering, what will be the new options / accessories? :)
    with absolute certainty that you can order them now.

Production starts July 10th - absolutely, definitely, for certain.

I haven't seen an official list of options, but the dealers have the details - and the Dodge web site may even have been updated - www.4adodge.com
    Thad, you can bet your boots that we'll be at the beach this weekend. Actually, I now leave my lap top at the beach house so that I can access this forum and not fall hopelessly behind like some other folks. Also, you are my hero if you consider 9 days a long weekend. Have a great time.

Bookitty
  • tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    About 6 months ago I covered this. Along with some of the obvious differences, such as underhood insulation, the SLT includes cruise/tilt for "free" relative to the Sport, i.e. equipped identically and with the cruise/tilt, the Sport was $200+ more.
  • pomycpomyc Member Posts: 28
    It has been a long time since I last posted but I have been keeping up on the post when I can - WOW, can that take awhile!!! I have the 2000 Dakota with 4.7L/4X4/Auto(multi-speed)/3.55/SLT. About two months ago I received a recall notice for an emissions control problem with the OBD system - no big deal, I'd get around to it when I could. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I had an intermittent check engine light come on so I finally took it in to get the recall and engine light looked at. Well, the engine light was due to a loose engine temp. sensor and was fixed. The emissions recall was taken care via reprogramming of the OBD. However, when I went to pick up my truck the customer service agent advised me that one other recall was also repaired. Evidently, the transmission control module was replaced. The replacement of the TCM, along with the emissions reprogram, was placarded as a modification on the sticker under the hood. While I have experienced occasional harsh shifts with my auto, I was really not too concerned about it. I did not receive any word from DC about the recall. Did anyone else with an auto get a recall notice??? I will say that there is a VERY noticeable difference in the way it shifts. Even my wife who is usually clueless about such things has commented on the improvement. I have 8300 miles on the truck and absolutely love it. Only other minor problem was yet another check engine light which turned out to be a bad crank shaft sensor which caused a rough idle here and there. Look forward to any responses. Happy 4th everyone. Stay safe and have fun!!!
    Nine days is a long weekend for me, but I would rather have your "retired" work schedule!!!! According to the Gvt., I'm 30+ years away from that, or 15 years if the wife goes back to work.

Have a great 4th everyone, I'm out of here!
    Does anyone know of a website or a place to get info on any recalls, service bulletins, or problems with the 2000 Dakota. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.