Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Real World MPG Numbers

13»

Comments

• fordz1fordz1 Member Posts: 24
    Just took delivery of my 08 F350 DRW Crew Cab LB. I am anxious to see what type of fuel mileage I will get after reading some of these posts. Only 372 miles on the odometer. I will update in a month or so.
  • ironsportyironsporty Member Posts: 8
    My '93 F250 with 5.8L gas motor w/E4OD gets 10/16mpg city/hwy. No towing and mostly granny driving. Not impressive.
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    I now have 5,333 miles on my '08 F250 . I have recorded a best of 15.9 mpg highway@75mph (no load) and 10.1mpg highway with a load of about 6200lb. A deisel engine is built to work hard and run hard. My experience with deisels has been the harder you run them the better they run and less trouble they give. I say forget the mpg and drive it like you stole it!!!
  • germantechgermantech Member Posts: 1
    I just joined this forum and hope someone can shed some light on Ford F150 fuel economy. I've seen some replies here that sound like they come straight from Ford. I like the one that states the break in period being 18,000-20,000 miles. Hope it's true. I just bought a used F150 super crew with 19,000 miles. I've put the last thousand on myself and as it has been said I drove it like a grandma. At best I'm seeing about 12.5 MPG in town. I am still in denial that this is normal and I should just live with it. I've heard everything from the weight, height, differential ratios and tire sizes being responsible but let's face it guys this is 2007. I've had carbureted cars that didn't have even one computer that got better than this. Hopefully someone can step up and scientifically explain what gives and what if anything can be done to make this otherwise great truck return reasonable fuel economy figures. I don't expect miracles just something around 15 city 19 highway. Thanks for listening and hope to hear some promising suggestions. Dan
  • rodougrodoug Member Posts: 5
    Am considering buying an 05, 06, or 07 F350 crew, long bed, 3.73 rear end with either 4x4 or 4x2. Live in Dallas and drive 70%/30% mix of city/highway. Tow a 8-11K LB gooseneck on weekends country driving. Does anyone have any personal experience on what kind of mileage I can expect? Thanks!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    City Fuel Econ in an F-150. 5.4L 3V. Realistically?

Not trying to sound like a Jerk here but according to www.fueleconomy.gov, under the new EPA test the 5.4L 3V F-150 should get 12 in the city and 16 on the HWY.

I think the days of using a P'kup for a daily driver but not as part of your job are fast falling behind.

One thing that you can try is getting an K&N Air Filter. http://www.knfilters.com/

Mark.
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    First let me say that I do not show much credance to any gas saving devices. I'm a ASE certified tech but I have found some things that increase gas mileage on my 99 F150. The things that I have found to improove mpg are those that are intended to increase power. The increase in mpg is just an extra. A K&N filter gave about a 1mpg increase. Mixing Acetone with the fuel has shot the mpg way up. Better mpg is noticed with 89 octane instead of cheep 87 octane. Now my F150 has a shell and is loaded with a lot of equipment, and I am now getting 14.8 mpg. Adding 1 0nce of acetone for every 10 gallons of gas and using the 89 octane is when I noticed the improovment in mpg the most. Your mpg should be hire unless you carrying a lot of weight like me. I go through a tank of gas more often than most because I work out of my truck. When I'm driving with a lead foot, I still get 13.6 mpg.
  • rpsmith1rpsmith1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Just Joined, and I need some help.

What I have now: 1997 Ford F250 SD 4X4, 460 V8 (rebuilt 30K ago), Auto (rebuilt 20K ago), rearend gears Unknown, shortbox, extended Cab, 35" Tires, 6" lift, Airbags. 8-9.5 MPG, empty, loaded, or pulling Horse Trailer with 2 Horses, and loaded with Camping Gear. Paid for.

What I want to do: More Mileage (Hauling Horses to Montana with current Rig is $600 round Trip) Add Camper (can't with Short Box and Pull Horse Trailer, unless I go with small SB Camper), go up to 3-4 Horse Trailer (will add 5000lbs to tow weight). Long box also better for hauling Hay.

What I think I need, but am not sure. 99-05, F350 DRW(?) 4X4 crewcab, not a huge payment. Not sure on Manual or Auto, Gas or Diesel.

I love my current Truck, if it had a long box for the Camper, I would eat the Gas Mileage, but we really need to move to a Camper, and my younger Horse, needs to start going with us. Please give some suggestions on what to look for used and why or why I should just stay with what I have.
  • firewalkerjohnfirewalkerjohn Member Posts: 6
    The 10-20K miles for break in, is this for the 2008? I've been told that the V10's gas motors get about 12mpg as my 2008 diesel is getting and with Diesel fuel being an average of .60cents more a gallon ($3.50 gallon in the St. Louis area) we will never be able to say that the Diesel motor & transmission has paid for itself. And what in the world is up with the Diesel prices, is it because of the Iraq War where a lot of diesel is needed to support our military troops?

If this is the SO REASON and the prices will drop back down to being .60cents below gas prices when its over, I have NO problem paying an extra $100 a month in fuel cost over the V10 gas motor if it means supporting our troops to ensure there safety and to protect our shores. (So I will just have to eat at home more often)

John
  • bowkillbowkill Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 08 f250 srw 3.73 gears after trading in my 04 6.0L. My dealership told me that the break in period was 10 tanks of fuel! I am at 10k right now, and am only getting 200 - 250 miles per tank full. The cold weather definately brings down the mpg, hoping it gets better this summer.
  • cetanecetane Member Posts: 1
    Just joined to give my answer to your question. Purchased a 2006 F-350 PSD 6.0 DRW last month. The last fill equated to 21.05 MPG. That was with a refuel on the same pump, same side, facing same direction, with the hold open nozzle clip in the same position. That trip was all highway between 45 and 55 MPH. The truck is a 6 speed manual. I avoided spooling up the turbo as much as possible and coasted when able. No load or tow on that run. The truck has 33,000 miles. This was the extreme to see if I could match other similar claims. However, the worst I managed to get thus far [without a load] was 16.5 which still satisfies me even at $3.50 per gallon.
  • wittsendwittsend Member Posts: 6
    I have the F-350 version and the stock 29 gallon tank was not enough when pulling distance. I add another 25 gallon w/ tool box and run it thru a gravity valve incorporated into the main tank inlet so I would not have to add pump wiring gauge etc..... When main tank gauge moves you know bed tank is empty.

1) I have found BIO diesel cause this valve to stick.
    2) If you want to use this tank in winter paint it black or Line-X it to obsorb heat from the sun, or add heater.

The problem is some states don't allow this set up so check first (or who's to know?). The reason the manufactures quit putting bigger or duel tanks in is because people were falling a sleep at the wheel from not stopping on long drives. Hence not liable for law suits of this type.

I stayed with a small tank to allow more use of the bed. found best deal at TSC.
  • 22k222k2 Member Posts: 1
    2005 f-350 5.4L fuel mileage 8.5 MPG towing and 10.5 MPG. Any tips on increasing mileage?
  • Slow down.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I've had carbureted cars that didn't have even one computer that got better than this."

Cars that could tow the same amount of weight? Cars that weighed in excess of 5000 lbs? Cars had had the drag coefficient of a brick? Cars that had the same large engine?

Full size pickups have all of the issues; each one causes a decrease in MPG.

Having said that, you might check out the driving tips from the various hybrid forums. The "battery" related stuff (like EV - "electric mode") won't help, but there are other tips that can help.

Research has shown that leaving the tail gate on a pickup is the most aerodynamically efficient.

Try and keep moving. By this I mean don't tailgate, and try and slow gradually when approaching a red light - it may turn green before you get there. Remember (in town) the biggest issue is that you have to get that 5000+ lbs up to speed - and that takes energy. MPG directly relates to the speed being traveled and the RPMs of the engine, so try and find the "sweet spot" of your engine for in town use where the RPMs are lowest for the highest speed achieved.

On the highway, reduce to the lowest safe speed that you can stand, preferably 60-65 MPH. The higher you go, the worse the MPG.

My last pickup was a 1996 F150, but it had the 4.2 and a manual transmission. It returned 17 MPG city / 23 MPG highway. But at the time I wasn't driving for MPG, except in the city where I used the OD at normal speeds where possible.
  • laci73laci73 Member Posts: 2
    04 f150 4x4 supercab. smaller V8, got it 2 month ago, 170 000kms on it. Rear end is 3.73.Tires 265/70 r 17 BFG AT.Driving to work and for fun( fishing, exploring country) I'm averaging 13-14 litres per 100 km's.combine driving city-hwy -gravel roads. I did 1000 kms trip in the mountains last weekend, at one tank. 135 litres tank and still some gas left.
    the key is keep rpm less than 2000, even in the city. Have no upgrades, stock vehicle.
    just my rear end is bit of whining, when under a load or accelerating. I changed gear oil for full synthetic 75W-90, but did not help at all.
  • titaneesetitaneese Member Posts: 43
    I owned a 1998 ford f-150 extended cab 5.4 liter and drove it for 10 years. I thoroughly checked the mileage over time and without the A/C it would get 13.5 mpg in the city absolutely babying that thing. I did not do enough highway driving to comment on that. My new truck is a Toyota Tacoma 16.68 mpg city. My two complaints with the ford, poor mpg and my service experience was b/s. I realised after the way Ford treated me that they did not care at all that I was loyal to their brand. they were more interested in how much they could take advantage of me and get all they could as far as service $$$$$$$$$$. Sorry ford but I have a 67 mustang, a 66 ford truck & now a Lexus and a Toyota truck in my garage. I am done with your b/s.
  • uptickguruuptickguru Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 King Ranch F350 Dually with every option short of a sun roof. I am getting around 17-19 on the highway unloaded, 12-13 pulling my tractor appx 9000 lbs, and about 12-14 in the city. I don't drive like grandma but I don't race bmw's either though I think this thing could probably take a few of them.

Have been looking into adding cold air intake and possibly big exhaust for added MPG. Don't need anymore power as this thing will pull a tree outta the ground. Have talked to Banks and it's a pricey $1300 upgrade. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I don't want to go missing with it too much cause of the warranty on the powertrain is 100K which I think is pretty good. Any Pro's and Con's. I don't trust talking to these equipment reps cause they mostly want to sell you this stuff and could care less about your warranty.

I'm trying to get a call in to talk to a few Ford Diesel guys. Would appreciate any opinions or experiences with Banks or any other reputable diesel performance houses.
  • 96ford96ford Member Posts: 1
    What Gear Ratio do you have? What is your RPM at 70 MPH? I am considering buying a F350 4WD with a 4.3 ratio. I'm afraid of bad mileage and have found that it will cost $2500 to change the ratio to a more reasonable 3.73
  • rpinks_99rpinks_99 Member Posts: 6
    I know none of us are "happy"....but I'm about to trade up from my 3.0 (2006) Ranger to an F-150 4.6 super cab.

Other than the EPA estimates for fuel mileage, how big a shock will I get with the 4.6? I don't get that great a mileage with my Ranger, approx 16 mpg on average.

I drive conservatively (I'm 56, and my fast years are far behind me!).

Any thoughts opinions appreciated!
  • jjess4jjess4 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 4.6 liter F-150 Supercab. I was only getting 16 mpg when I bought it. When I took it in, the service geniuses told me that it is the "breaking in period". I have never gotten anything different since... I know part of it is that I drive 69 mph on the freeway.
  • rpinks_99rpinks_99 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, jjess4. Maybe "69" isn't the good number for you...lol....maybe try 68 or 70!

I'll likely get a Tonneau cover; studies shows that's about the best accessory (other than mechanical mods) that will increase mileage.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Independent studies have shown no difference in gas mileage with a tonneau cover. Myth Busters did a show on it that you can google the results of.
  • I thought that was about tailgate up or down (results: no difference). I don't think Chevy would install a tonneau on its Silverado mileage leader, unless it was actually doing something to help mileage.
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Member Posts: 8
    I'm averaging 19mpg mixed driving with my 08 2wd 4.7ltr Tundra. My worst has been 15 and best 21.
  • gmacygmacy Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Ford F-350 pickup, 4x4 with a 5.8 v8 auto trans. The truck only has 54,000 miles on it and it in good shape. Does anyone know if I can do anything with the gas mileage? I average betweem 7 and 9 mpg all the time. The truck will pull a house with the 4.10 gears. I've done a k&n filet, 3" exhaust, synthetic fluids all the way around.

Any one have any other ideas? Thank you in advance.
  • bruce74bruce74 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 f-250 super duty, 7.3, that gets about 17mpg around town when I'm not towing. I pull a 5000lb camper, pull behind, with a 700 lb motorcycle in the bed, and then the mpg drops to 11mpg. I bought the truck used, so I don't know that much about it, Its got about 170,000 miles on it. Anybody know what could cause that much drop in mpg. My little f-150 towed the same camper and got 10.3 mpg.
  • igiveup3igiveup3 Member Posts: 2
    Try checking your tongue weight. Instead of towing the weight you may be carrying the weight.Carrying instead of pulling the weight can cause a huge drop in economy.The same wil hold true if you have a fifth wheel trailer.
  • igiveup3igiveup3 Member Posts: 2
    Okay geniueses.The question of the day is if you can drop the engine RPM by 100,200,300 how much econo change can you expect to get.This may be possible and still maintain 70 MPH,on the big road.Have a couple of ideas, that I am pretty sure can achieve the RPM drop.Does anyone know how much difference the drop will make?
  • hazmatchuckhazmatchuck Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have the same 1997 truck (mine only has 87,000 miles) and it is a 4 door with the 460 engine...it has always been around 10 mpg or maybe 11 if truck is empty. I have owned it since 1999 and now this year it gets 4mpg and maybe 5 mpg if I really baby it along and dont idle at all in cold weather...what is the deal? did you ever hear what might be the cause? I have done regular maintemance....am now going to replace all plugs, wires, distributor cap fuel filter, etc. and see if that makes any difference....please email me if you have any ideas. Thank you

chuck
  • pollard_83pollard_83 Member Posts: 1
    I will be purchasing an f-150 extended or crew cab truck in the next month. I'm just not sure if I want an 4x4 or 2x4. My situation is I drive around 4-5 k miles per month. I live in the mtn's of NC and fight snow and bad weather but I already have two 4x4 f-series trucks. Should I get a 4x4 or a 2x4? If weather is bad I can drive one of my less dependable trucks? But is the lack of maintnance and better gas mileage going to over throw the luxury of 4x4? Thanks, this decission is driving me nuts. Is anyone in the same boat, or just have a bone to throw?
  • ace_traneace_trane Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone calculated the MPG of the new F-150 5.4 v8 4x4 while towing? I'm looking at buying one , but tow 5,000 pound camper. Was hoping it gets better mileage hen my 07 tundra.
  • t_dogt_dog Member Posts: 1
    This maybe too late to help you but I just bought a 2010 F150 Super Cab 3 weeks ago with the 5.4 lt. V8 and maybe it helps you or helps someone like you or me who wants to buy a new truck. We just went on a trip to Cali. from Seattle last week and planned about 2000 mi. My truck was/is brand new and I really really love it. I was worried about the gas mi. since my last one was a 2006 F150 4.6 Super Crew and the gas mi. was not great 2 WD as well. I got 18+ miles per gallon. It also seemed to improve as the trip went on. The trip computer only went as high as 16.2AVG miles per gallon but filled it when we left without topping off and filled it again without topping off at the first half tank in OR. 36 gal tank and at half a tank I put in 18.23 gals. I got 323 miles on the first half tank so it was approx. 18 mi. per gallon. Take into acct. that I don't have a topper or toneau cover and no extras. I was pretty pleased. So I got about 640ish miles on single tank. I was also carrying about 1000 lbs of gear, not much but if I put a cap on it I bet I will get closer to 20. Also I seemed to do better around 75 mph. cruising about 70 to 80 was only a diff. of about 150 to 200 rpm.
  • mdsparks73mdsparks73 Member Posts: 1
    Try calculating your fuel mileage by fillups, not by the dash readout. You'll find that you're only getting about 15 at best. I have a 2005 F250 Lariat FX4 6.0 with EGR delete, AFE Stage2 intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo back exhaust, 3.73 rearend, Amsoil synthetic front to back and I still can't make 16MPG. My dashboard readout will show from 18-24MPG but fillup calculations come out to 14.5-16.
    If your numbers are fillup calculations I have to say you got a diamond in the rough because the 6.0's are notorious for bad fuel mileage, worse than the 7.3's, and the 6.4's are even worse at 9-12.5MPG.
    Good luck with your mods. Some words of advice, go with SCT programmer, do not use K&N filters use AFE, AEM, Banks filters, get an EGR delete kit, a 4" exhaust system, and an ARP head stud kit is imperrative with these mods or you will be blowing head gaskets. This is from experience so trust me.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    What kind of mileage can you expect from a new f150 supercrew 4X2 6 1/2 foot bed 3.55 limited-slip 20-inch wheels.
  • boatingshowboatingshow Member Posts: 2
    What is the rear end on this truck, I have 4.10 and it gets about 12.5 to 13.5 empty. Most of my driving is between city and highway. I realy drive highway but when I do I get somewhere between 14-16.5 (I only ever got 16.5 when the truck was brand new....driving it home from the dealer...and back down to pick up the car I used to pick it up in.
  • boatingshowboatingshow Member Posts: 2
    Let me add my dad has a 2009 f150 with 3.78 rear and a 4.6 liter and he gets between 19 and 20 mpg.
  • dconnordconnor Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2011 F150 Supercab with the 3.7 L. V6. I got that because I don't need heavy towing capacity and I was hoping for somewhat better gas mileage. I am usually pretty good at getting the estimated mileage on vehicles, if it is possible. Rather than 17/23 I am seeing more like 15/19 at best with an overall average of approx. 17. Is anyone getting anything close to the mileage they state for this V6? ronnoc
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    What size rear end , and is yours a 4X2 or 4X4?
  • dconnordconnor Member Posts: 20
    4X2 and 3.73 limited slip axle ratio
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I am getting the same mpg as you. I am not getting the 17 and 23. I also have the 2011 Supercab with the 3.7.
  • bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    edited September 2011
    I just drove 286 miles (all highway) on less than half a tank. With about 20 miles until empty, as per my mileage calculator on my dash.

That's above 20mpg highway. My dash mileage monitor said 22.1, and I'm inclined to believe that isn't far off, because of the distance I traveled without having to fill up. I was astonished that I didn't have to stop to fill up dozens of miles before I did.

Averaged 60-70mph the whole way. Relatively flat (Rt. 95 from Maryland to Connecticut), but it is riddled with toll booths, so room to improve on mileage even.

And mine is the 4x4, Supercab, and the gear ratio is 3.73.

Not making this up. 20++ mpg highway out of a stock 4WD version of the EcoBoost F150.

I'm a bit of a light-foot (I like vehicles with ample power, so I don't always have to rev them). So I'll bet I could get ~24mpg out of a 2WD Ecoboost equipped Fun-50 from Florida to Maine, traffic and weather permitting. ;)

GM says they are not worried about this engine, but they are underestimating its capabilities!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to [email protected] no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Just finished a 465 mi round trip from Maryland to Virginia with mostly light traffic, mid 70's outside temp, running 65-70mph, A/C off, no load. Averaged 18.1 mpg calculated. Mine has the Goodyear Wrangler off-road tires (like the FX4) and HD tow package. I cleared the trip computer and ran it about 200 miles with the computer reading 19.8 to 20.1 mpg, but I don't go by that for real world numbers. I typically get 10-11 mpg towing a 6,000lb camper that has 80 sq ft of frontal area. Luv this truck!
  • smaclennansmaclennan Member Posts: 2
    not a genius but why not fill your tank and drive it at a steady speed then fill again and do the same run at 100 rpm less etc etc etc and it should tell you what to expect (if my logic is right)
  • just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    Just finished the first tank of fuel (Dealer supplied) and got 17.8 mpg this was 50/50 driving and about 50 miles of it was stop and go traffic not getting above 5mph. I am happy with this tank but am pretty sure I will average on the positive side of 20 mpg. The computer said 18.5 so it was not too far off. I almost bought the 3.7 V6 but after seeing the mpg that they are reporting I opted for the 5.0 I also looked at the Eco-boost but would of lost some serous rebate money. I think the 5.0 is so close in mpg to the Eco-boost that it is a wash plus this 5.0 takes me back to my GT Mustang days.
    2nd tank same driving conditions 18.0 mpg computer said 18.4.
    edited September 2013
    3rd tank same driving conditions 18.5 computer said 18.9 When driving the highway I am getting 21mpg but the city stop and go just kills the overall mileage for the tank. I now have 1400 miles on the truck so I will update when the engine gets broke in.
  • fordmech21fordmech21 Member Posts: 1
    Actually the dealer can change the tire size and gear ratio and final drive ratio if they tell you they can't there full of it ive been a dealer tech since 03 and have made it work for me every time