Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7

Comments

• vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Concur. Plain and simple, if the buyer's primary consideration is MPG and rising gas prices, then the CX-7 is NOT for that buyer.

Vince.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    In fact I'd recommend a Mazda5. It's their budget alternative, and shares a platform. The non-turbo 2.3l takes regular and you can carry 6 people.

Practical little bugger, too.

Off the line, it's a smidge quicker than the CX7, because it's lighter and there's no waiting for a turbo to spool up. The CX7 will pass soon after launch, but the Mazda5 steps off nicely. It's also more nimble that one might think.

That or a Mazda3s.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Yep, true enough...but....it's one of those ubiquitous Mommy coaches, a VAN!!! :P IMHO, it's the least attractive of the Mazda line-up... :shades:

Vince
    In the Mazda5 thread I called it a "Vanlet" and a lot of people got a real kick out of that name. :shades:
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    2008 Mazda CX-7 Specifications and Features for *CANADA*
    It should be similar to US specs but there may, of course, be differences. Key changes do not seem to be worth waiting for.
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    Take a look at the latest JD Powers report. Mazda is 2nd to last in Initial Quality.

CX-7 had subpar ratings too (2 out of 5.....)

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/mazda/cx-7/2007

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2007088.pdf
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems a bit odd since Ford did so well this time around.

Ford products ace J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (Straightline)
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Well, at least the "Ford" cars had gas caps that worked... That helps. ;)
    Keep in mind the IQ study only covers the first 90 days of ownership, when you're under warranty for everything anyway. It's not usually a good forecast for longevity on a vehicle.

I prefer their Durability study, which looks at 5 year old models.
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    Reliability is not a concern of mine as I have leased my cx-7 (although the 2 trips to the dealer for CEL were a pain)

I have a 3 year lease with 45K miles so I'll be out of warranty. That does concern me. I guess I should have gone 2 year with 30K miles........
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Check engine lights alone could have caused a score like that.

I agree that the durability study is a much better indicator.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I drive mine forever so I guess reliability is more of a concern, but either way, having to go to the dealer for non-scheduled maintenance is a pain.

Actually, going in for normal maintenance is a big pain too. :P
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    .91 problems per vehicle
    1.63 problems per vehicle

The difference between 1st place and Mazda.

I'd prefer to be in 1st place, however, the differences in Initial Quality are an insignificant factor in choice of a vehicle.

Statistically you will have zero problems if you are lucky and 2 problems if you get a "lemon".
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2007/200706/070612.html

Mazda Awarded First Place in Auto Bild Magazine’s “Quality Report” for the Third Year Running

HIROSHIMA, Japan— Auto Bild, Germany’s largest car magazine, has ranked Mazda in first place in its highly respected “Quality Report” for 2007, which was published on June 8. This was the third straight year that Mazda has been awarded first place in this annual report.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    This is great news, but since the CX-7 is not on sale in Germany yet, we have to do the usual "the manufacturer was good with these cars, so maybe the CX-7 will be just as good" inference.

Incidentally, the German Mazda site has some interesting info about the CX-7 and what features Deutschland will be getting that the USA did not, at least in 2007:

* Germans get turn signal repeaters on the side mirrors (they look great, I might add)
    * Germans get available auto-windshield wipers (I wonder if Mazda will get this right - is this their first stab at this technology?)
    * Germans get a manual transmission (this fascinates me, although I must admit the auto in my CX-7 is the best I've ever had)

-c92
  • xgbtxgbt Member Posts: 28
    Does anybody know what is changed on the 2009 CX-7 ?
  • srvivor87srvivor87 Member Posts: 9
    New or enhanced for 2009:

* Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink® and finishing improvements on Grand Touring model
    * Side turn signals integrated into the exterior mirror housings on the Grand Touring Model
    * Bluetooth hands free and SIRIUS satellite radio added to the 1MC and 1TE packages
    * Dual heated front seats with power driver seat now available on Sport Model
    * MP3 capability
    * Auxiliary audio input jack
    * Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob on Sport model
    * Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
    The funny thing is that the CX-7 should have been launched with most of those items and is playing serious catch-up.

Dual illuminated vanity mirrors...there's an idea straight out of the 70's.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    A dealer near where I work has some brand new 2007(!) CX-7s on the lot. A sign in the window says they're taking 7K off sticker. Can anyone tell me what kind of mfr spiff they're getting on units this old?
    David
    I agree, and I'm a bit surprised that the MP3 capability was only added now given Mazda is usually a pioneer in the audio arena. They went to CDs long before their primary competitors did, for instance.
    "They went to CDs long before their primary competitors did, for instance."

AJ, much has changed since the 90s. The platforms got much better and the audio didn't.
  • deadeye1deadeye1 Member Posts: 6
    Where may I ask is this dealer located ???

Tks. Deadeye
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I was at my dealership yesterday and saw a 2009 G. Noticed the fog lamps have some bright trim and the wheels are polished, not painted. Not uber-shiny, but not flat silver.
    Medina, Ohio
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hi everyone,
    I'm starting some VERY preliminary window shopping for something in the CUV/SUV/ maybe even van realm for when my lease runs out on my Impala. I have not driven one of these, but I love the looks of them. I really do NOT want a truck-like SUV. My cars have always been sedans that (mostly) have been fun to drive and handled really well. I've test driven a few SUV type things that I have crossed off my list as 'no way!' because they handle like a Mack truck.

I understand the CX-7's are really fun to drive and you can haul a lot of 'stuff' in them at the same time. However, in reading some reviews and posts, it seems like at least in their first year, they had a lot of issues. Have most of these seemed to clear up? I wouldn't be looking at doing anything probably before early next summer, so probably would be a 2009 model, unless I decided to pick up a year old one and let somebody else take the depreciation hit. Can anyone give me some pros, cons, insights, points to ponder before I go test drive one and get all enamored? Many thanks! :)
    Karen
  • calessicalessi Member Posts: 7
    Karen,

I can tell you that I've owned my CX-7 for almost two years, and have driven it almost 30,000 miles. I have honestly not had a single issue with this vehicle yet--not one. And yes: it is tremendously fun to drive, and very easy to use from a cargo carrying perspective (the easy to fold down rear seats really help).

Carl
  • slippertslippert Member Posts: 13
    I have had my CX-7 for over one year with no issues. It's awesome. The big negatives are well-know: Super unleaded (maybe not 2009) and gas mileage. I get slightly over 21 mpg with 60/40 highway/city driving. It's simply wonderful to drive and the best-looking BY FAR.
  • marlo1marlo1 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2008 CX7 in December 2007. I have 13k miles on it and have not had one problem (yet). I enjoy the vehicle, the size is perfect for me since I'm the only driver and I don't carry passengers on a daily basis. Would I like to see some changes? Yes. Can I live with it? Yes. Am I happy about the purchase price? Yes. I do know the "zoom, zoom" is going to get me in trouble with the po-po very soon. I'm sorry, on an open road I can't help sometime but to "zoom" in that baby.
  • cmolony1cmolony1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my CX-7 for 2 years now. I absolutely loathe the smart key. It's unreliable and I have lost three of the manual keys due to faulty design. I lost the third one this morning. They fall out of the card and get lost and Mazda makes ME pay for new ones. Plus 30% of the time the key doesn't even work so I have to dig in my purse and retrieve the keys. Very aggravating. :mad: The service people at the Mazda dealership call it the Stupid key.
    If you are considering buying this car, I would suggest trying to get it w/out this feature, if possible.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
  • sweetie12sweetie12 Member Posts: 8
    I actually had the key come out of the smart key pad and I couldn't find it for a couple of days. Thankfully, I did find it. I now can see they are easy to loose. What I did was put tape over the key in the pad; hopefully that will keep it from falling out again.
    My mini-key has never fallen out. In fact, the few times I've played with it, I had to really tug on it to get it out. I have noticed, however, that if the key and my phone are in the same pocket, the transponder doesn't work. So all I do now is make sure the key has its own pocket and it works flawlesly.
  • marlo1marlo1 Member Posts: 4
    My key stays in the card pretty firmly. Since I have the remote starter and the card, I brought a small leather pouch to keep both items in so they won't get damaged in my handbag.
    I drove a CX-7 for the first time last night. The handling and driving manners are very good, very similar to european vehicles. Like the commanding feel of the cockpit. I found the engine to have decent punch, even if it seemed a little whiny. The transmission shifitng seemed fine as well. Using the semi-manual takes practice. I have three issues with the car.
    1. The speedometer sits in a dark tunnel, and the lighting hardly makes them any more readable. I suppose the GT's EL would fix that (I have a 6 with EL) but that's an expensive fix.
    2. The speedo range is ridiculously impractical. 0-140MPH shown in 180 degrees means you spend 90% of your city driving time trying to make out tiny divisions at the bottom. My old slide rule was easier to read.
    3. It's not really a five-seater. Try the middle back position and tell me if you could stand that hard convex back for more than 20 minutes.
    4. The back rake really cuts into the cargo space.

As a lover of tight responsive handling, this would be my choice, but I've already got the 6. Since it's for my wife (who says she'd be fine with a Kia!), these shortcomings really throw cold water on it. Next up: Mitsu Outlander.
  • calessicalessi Member Posts: 7
    I want to preface my comments by saying that I love my 2007 CX-7, and that it has given me zero problems since I purchased it almost two years ago.

That being said, my only two gripes about it are:

1. No port for an MP3 player (a common lament for people who own this car).
    2. The blind spot caused by the left mirror/roof pillar combination (essentially at the 11 o'clock low position). One time I actually starting rolling forward from a Stop sign, then noticed a woman crossing in a wheelchair on the opposite side of the intersection from left to right, causing me to come to an abrupt halt in the middle of the intersection. Ever since, I've been extremely careful regarding that viewing angle in the car.

Carl
  • weinerdowndogweinerdowndog Member Posts: 13
    does the cx7 grand tourning awd take regular or premium gasoline???
    2008 and later will accept regular but premium is recommended for best performance. 2007 is premium only.
  • altaskialtaski Member Posts: 2
    The latest reflash for CX7 from 4/08.

It fix’s lean conditon that cause’s turbo to get excessively hot, then heat soak back to block on shut down, causing overheating and possible turbo damage.

Part No. L33P-18881-T, File Name SW-L33PET000

SW-L33PET000 = http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...208%20CDFP.pdf
  • altaskialtaski Member Posts: 2
    http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...208%20CDFP.pdf

Page 1 of 6
    CONSUMER NOTICE: The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/
    equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” Customers
    should not assume this bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
    customers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership. Mazda North American Operations reserves the right to alter the specifications and
    contents of this bulletin without obligation or advance notice. All rights reserved. No part of this bulletin may be reproduced in any form or by any means,
    electronic or mechanical---including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system ---without permission in
    writing.
    © 2008 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.
    Subject:
    ROUGH IDLE, LACK OF POWER, AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P2177/P2187 (FUEL
    SYSTEM LEAN)
    Bulletin No: 01-022/08
    Last Issued: 04/02/2008
    Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922
    MULTI-MODEL- ROUGH IDLE, LACK OF POWER, AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P2177/P2187 (FUEL SYSTEM
    LEAN)
    BULLETIN NOTE
    This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin issued on 03/27/08. The REPAIR PROCEDURE has been
    revised.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK**** ** 859606 (produced before November 22,
    2007)
    2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles
    2007-2008 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER**** ** 196510 (produced before November 19, 2007)
    DESCRIPTION
    Due to low fuel pressure at the high-pressure fuel pump, some vehicles may experience the following:
    • Rough idle, stall, and/or hesitation under cold conditions.
    • Intermittent lack of power during acceleration when the engine gets hot.
    • MIL turns on with DTC P2177/P2187 (fuel system too lean at off idle).
    This is caused by a delayed fuel pressure build-up from the high pressure fuel pump. There are two main reasons
    for this:
    1. The drive current from the PCM is not enough for some fuel pumps.
    2. Some fuel pumps have slower response.
    To fix the problem, the PCM software and the specification of the high-pressure fuel pump have been changed.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.
    2. Using IDS 51.9 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to “Calibration Information”
    table) by following the “Module Reprogramming” procedure.
    NOTE:
    • Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration
    file for PCM reprogramming.
    • It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS
    screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and
    cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming
    procedure.
    Page 2 of 6
    • IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.
    • Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin
    may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations
    for service related concerns.
    • When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the “latest” calibration P/N available for
    that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new
    service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
    • When performing this procedure, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on
    the vehicle battery and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to
    keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.
    3. For vehicles built before April 7, 2007 that are experiencing the conditions as noted in this service bulletin
    after the PCM calibration update, perform a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry using your eMDCS System and
    inspect Warranty Claim Inquiry Detail for high-pressure fuel pump replacement.
    • If no prior history of replacement, replace the high-pressure fuel pump. Refer to MS3 online instructions
    or Workshop Manual section 01-14 FUEL PUMP UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.
    • If the history indicates part number L3K9-13-35ZB was used during a repair, use the following illustration
    to inspect the production date of the high-pressure fuel pump. Replace it if the production date is before
    March 26, 2007.
    Date of production is marked as a 4 digit code “YMDD” at the pipe.
    Y for Year 4 for 2004....7 for 2007
    M for Month 1 for Jan....9 for Sept, X for October, Y for Nov, Z for Dec
    DD for Date 01 for 1st of month....31 for 31st of month
    Example “4Z16” means Dec 16, 2004; 7608 means June 8, 2007
    Page 3 of 6
    CAUTION: When replacing the high-pressure fuel pump, it is very important to make sure that the tension
    collar is present before reinstalling the pump. Failure to do so will result in excessive engine
    noise and the subsequent failure of the high-pressure fuel pump and its cam lobes.
    4. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making
    sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present.
    NOTE:
    • If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the
    appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.
    • After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to “relearn” KAM
    (Keep Alive Memory).
    5. Fill out an “Authorized Modifications” label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97) with the new PCM calibration information,
    your dealer code, and today’s date.
    AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
    THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE,
    BY THE EPA AND CARB.
    THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE:
    1326c
    Page 4 of 6
    6. Place the “Authorized Modifications” label on the “A” pillar below the tear tag in the driver door jamb.
    CALIBRATION INFORMATION
    Mazdaspeed3 (52.2 or later software)
    Mazdaspeed6 (51.9, 52.2 or later software)
    Spec New PCM Calibration Part Number File Name
    CA L39R-18-881D SW-L39RED000
    Fed, Canada L39S-18-881D SW-L39SED000
    Spec New PCM Calibration Part Number File Name
    CA L38G-18-1881G SW-L38JEG000
    Fed/Canada L38K-18-1881G SW-L38KEG000
    1326d
    AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
    THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE,
    BY THE EPA AND CARB.
    THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS H
  • Charlietuna33Charlietuna33 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 GT and I have to say that this car is great in the snow! We have had below freezing temps for the last six days with compact snow and ice on the road for the whole time. I used my remote start this morning since the temp was -6.7F and she started right up. My commute is 35 mile round trip and depending on where I am in my route there is anywhere from 4-12 inches of snow on the ground. So far I have slid one time in a turn which was easily controlled. I have to travel several steep hills without a slip or hiccup. This car is much more superior to my civic! We should be getting 4-8 more inches tonight with sustained winds of over 50mph so we will seen how it will go in real extreme conditions. Never felt safer!
    Does anyone know other than a new front, revised console, and a non-turbo engine for the base model, are there any other mechanical changes/improvements on the 2010 CX-7 ?
    I didn't realize they were going to offer a non-turbo. Hopefully they can do a lot better than 16/17 mpg city.
  • jeffrobinsonjeffrobinson Member Posts: 8
    ^^^ Yes, there will be a non-turbo 2010 model, which should be cheaper, slower, get better gas mileage, not require premium gas, and hopefully get a little more mass appeal for the CX-7. But the non-turbo will be front-wheel drive only, which would be a dealbreaker for me anyway. Having owned my 2009 CX-7 for a couple of weeks now, I just love the zip of the turbo engine. And knowing how much fun the turbo engine is to drive, I'd be hard-pressed to go with the non-turbo to save a couple of hundred dollars a year on gas. And again, I needed the AWD since I live in the Northeast. But having the different options should be good for some people.
    I am torn between getting the 2009 now or wait for the 2010, after reading the AC and drive shaft problems here. Jeff, could you please update us when you have more experience with your new baby on any symptom on those problems, and the gas consumption, on hwy and city ? I will go for a loaded AWD model so the base FWD model is not relevant to me. I am just concerned if there are some design flaws in the first generation that will be fixed in this revision. Also wondering if a 2.5 litre turbo engine (as some says) will actually reduce the gas consumption. Thanks a lot!
    I don't think premium is required any more, but it's probably a good idea for best performance (recommended?).
  • jeffrobinsonjeffrobinson Member Posts: 8
    First of all, yes, the 2009 (and I think 2008) CX-7s do not require premium. There are enough reports out there from owners on this point, some who use 87 without much impact in their view, but most others who find they get better gas mileage with the premium gas, as well as better performance with the premium vs. 87. I don't drive a ton, so the cost to me to use premium over the course of a year is pretty minimal, and since I'd like to have my CX-7 for a lot of years, I'll be inclined to give it the good stuff.

As to my experience with reliability, again, you can gain lots of info from people on this and other CX-7 forums who have had the CX-7 much longer than me. The consensus I reached on my own was that the 2007 model had a few problems, but that 2008 and 2009 have been pretty good as far as reliability. I wouldn't let that deter you at this point.

I am only on my second tank of gas so far, the first one being 1/2 a tank from the dealer. That was almost certainly junky gas, and that did run down very quickly and had me a bit concerned. Since I filled up with premium though, the mileage got a lot better and has seemed fine so far. No hard numbers from me yet though.

As to 2009 vs. 2010, timing may be an issue, and cost may be an issue. In my case, I simply needed a new car sooner rather than later, and I found the ability to deal on the CX-7 at this time very compelling. If you can wait, the 2010 should have some tweaks and upgrades for the better, but will likely cost more at least at the outset. No easy answer.

But again, I am loving the CX-7. It is so much sharper than a lot of its competition imho, and the drive is awesome. So much pep. I love the built-in bluetooth, moonroof, upgraded stereo system, built-in Sirius with free 6-month trial. At the current prices, the CX-7 offers a lot of bang for the buck. I may have sold some of its competition short, but I felt that by the time I got a model with some of these features in some of the other brands, I'd be looking at a much more expensive crossover. With the CX-7, between the 3 trims, and AWD vs. FWD, you can get a very good sense of what you want to pay and should pay, for the features you want, without worrying too much about a ton of other options being forced upon you. Just my view at least. Anyway, good luck.
    Starting prices are very low.

Mazda has good incentives now, especially for the Miata - $5000!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You could probably improve your CX-7's FE significantly by "wiring" the turbo wastegate fully open. Even greater improvement if you go the extra mile and mill the engine head to get the 12:1 compression ratio otherwise standard for a DFI engine.

It seems odd to me that the new non-turbo CX-7 engine isn't this same one but without the detuning/derating required of the boost capability via an exhaust powered turbo.
  • ssellmanssellman Member Posts: 1
    My new car has been a problem so far. I have 09 cx-7 sport model. The car has 2400miles on it and has been back to the dealship 3xs! First time the check engine light. The next time the windows and moonroof would open partially on their own. The car would be parked somewhere and I would come out and the windows and moonroof would be down grrrrr Sometimes when I shut the car off the seat would automatically go back. I took it back and they replaced the vehicle control module. Six weeks later it started again-grrrr. They had the regional engineer look at it and they changed the door mechanism. So far it hasn't happened again. But now my heated seat on the passenger side has malfunctioned. It heats only marginally. It seems the drivers side gets hot then subsides then heats up again. I wonder if that is normal. I love the way the car handles and rides. But oh how I worry about ongoing electrical problems. Mazda sent me 100 buck gift card for my troubles-thanks for nothin! :sick:
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    It's been my limited experience that a "check engine" light is almost always a faulty oxygen sensor. That happened to my Corolla nine years ago...cost about $125 to fix, not a lot out-of-pocket. I would take it to either a better quality dealer or regular mechanic worth his/her salt who knows this and can fix it right. Make sure your regular mechanic is authorized to do warranty work. Hope this helps.
  • jamier67jamier67 Member Posts: 1
    i am with you! this so called "smart" key is a joke and completely a rip off by Mazda!!! they have ironically changed the whole key so it is now obsolete on the new Mazdas because they have found that it is JUNK!!!!!! I was quoted $573 by the dealership to replace the key and have it programmed what a JOKE!!! I am going to buy online on ebay have the key cut and program it myself, I will reply back to let you guys know if it works!