Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Toyota researches what sells in each area and adapts. That is why they will overcome GM to be the number 1 in the world real soon.

If being #1 in sales is your criteria for success then GM is more successful than Toyota and has been for a long time.

With experience selling new Toyota's I can tell you that I lost sales due to the inflexibility of Toyota equipment levels and regional allocation. At least with the domestics I could obtain what was advertised in the brochure!
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Yes, being number 1 is a sign of success, and until Toyota (or someone else) unseats them, they will be the most successful company. And yes they have been ahead of Toyota for a long time. Probably since Toyota was introduced to the US. So I guess with a 40+ year head start, they should be miles ahead. Instead Toyota is in GMs blind spot, waiting for them to make a wrong move and crash.
    I know from experience buying Toyotas that they lose more sales because they can't make them fast enough than because they are uncustomizable. I went to three dealers before finding what I wanted. They rolled 2 of them off the truck Saturday afternoon and sold one of them before I got back there Sunday morning and bought the other. The one dealer finally called back over a month later to say they got one in. Then they asked why I never come in anymore. I wasn't looking for anything special. Just wanted a TRD Off Road. Judging by the number of them running around up here, I guess everyone else wanted one too. I would guess that 40% are TRD Off Road, 30% Sports, and the rest are 2 wheel drive, SR5 4 wheel drive and Prerunners. I don't think the packages are hurting them at all.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "oy couldn't or wouldn't touch this price for their truck so equiped."

I said the same thing when I bought a Nissan truck (to replace a Toyota with 300k and 12 years on it) a few years back. This time I paid the extra for my Toyota.

I sincerely hope you like your Nissan better than I liked mine.
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Truthfully Woody! time will tell,but the 05/06 Fronty's are a big stepup from older Frontiers. I know scads of drivers who own Nissan/Toys, for longevity it's pretty dang close. The rest is subjective,depends how it treats you, Like a woman, sometimes an A most times a C. and every once in while an F! I have nothing to report 06 Fronty less then 500 miles on her!

Critter Fish'in the SURF! :D
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Member Posts: 92
    Whoops my bad didnt see the Imperial gallon ,in the US we usually deal in US gallons to figure our mpg's,unless of course you do most of your driving on Broke Back mountain than you deal with Imperial gallons. :P
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Neanderthal:

Are you for real?
    Actually, Brokeback Mountain WAS filmed in Canada. Think they use Liters.
    Could my memory be faulty, yes. I wish I had kept the printout with the numbers on it.

When I asked the dealer about the tow+stereo bundle, he shrugged and said, "That's the only way you can get the factory tow package in this region." I still think it was a regional screw job, but maybe not.

Of course you don't have the sheet. And everyone I have asked to show me their problems with Tacomas in person are too busy. Of course they have time to post bogus complaints though. Anyone can create 30 profiles to make it look like a trend. Can you say UAW?
    DEALER DISCOVERED ISSUE WAS BOLTS ON RIGHT REAR E-BRAKE CABLE INSIDE DRUM CAME OUT AND BRAKE SHOE WAS LOCKING UP REAR AND THEN MAKING IT HARD TO SHIFT INTO GEAR AND BOLT WAS MAKING THE GRINDING NOISE AT LOWER 1ST GEAR

This is the exact wording from a complaint to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) where complaints go aka where recall info goes. To the average idiot this makes sense, but anyone that knows anything about vehicles knows that the rear end can fall out of the vehicle and it will still shift into gear. May not move, but it will shift. Just shows that 99.9% of the complaints are from people that have no clue. They are just trying to dog your vehicle without driving it. Happens to all the companies.
    Actually I'm Cro-magnon and Broke Back mountain was filmed in Canada so you should calculate by the Miles per Liter next time,so we can be sure your gas numbers are for Real? :cry:
  • bill55bill55 Member Posts: 25
    It is liters per 100 km in Canada.
    I didn't think you would understand the metric system. We officially rate our vehicles distance travelled by Litres per 100 Kilometers. There are 4.54 Litres to an Imperial Gallon. Unofficially, most of us convert, in idle conversation, to miles travelled per imperial gallon.
    By the way, one can achieve 25 m.p.i.g. on the open road at or near the speed limit with the Nissan Frontier V-6 4X4. I know, because I did. The Tacoma V-6 4X4 can better that by approx. 2 m.p.g.
    Of course, as for all of us here on the Forum, I cannot verify my figures. But, guess what?
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    like I said before you can get almost 25mpg's at 65mph if you don't jump on the ponies on the High way on a long trip,and I have got mixed driving mpg's at 19-20,not bad for 265ponies,that beats my old 2001chevy ZR24*4 I was getting 18best on the Highway!!

sounds like you got a awesome truck!!,did you get the XM stero?
    I've noticed since I have XM that i hardly even use the raido....
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    all I can say is I hope you get a great deal on the TOy,if you do can let us all know what you paid with Tax's.

Good luck.
    I haven't made up my mind as of yet Badness. I'm eagerly awaiting the 07's and then will make up my mind.
    I dont have to understand the metric system or the conversion of imperial gallons to liters , because I live in the USA the greatest country on the face of the earth and maybe you all should convert to our system of measurements. We have come farther along in our history while using our system of measurements than others who use the metric system. My Toyota truck gets 21.24 miles to the US Gallon on its best day and you can do the convertion.God Bless the United States of America :blush:
    Actually, the metric system makes more sense, but we don't need to discuss its merits on a truck forum.
    Just think. If you converted to Imperial Gallons you would improve your m.p.g. by 20% to 25.5 miles per gallon. Now what in the whole, wide world could be wrong with that?
    God bless us all!
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    Of course you don't have the sheet. And everyone I have asked to show me their problems with Tacomas in person are too busy. Of course they have time to post bogus complaints though. Anyone can create 30 profiles to make it look like a trend. Can you say UAW?

1. I kept that readout for at least 6 months before throwing it away. If I had known then how excruciatingly important this is to you, I would have kept it just for you, gotten it notarized and sealed with a kiss, before sending it to you.

2. As for showing problems with Tacomas, I already posted the details of the test-drive truck's problems on this website. So have other people who test-drove BOTH Frontiers and Tacomas.

3. You keep accusing people who aren't blowhard Toyota fans of being liars. Do you have any "evidence" to back up your assumption?

4. I have made exactly one profile to post on the Edmunds websites. The fact that 30 other people don't agree with your opinions doesn't mean there is an anti-Toyota conspiracy.

You appear to have a vested interest in propagating only good news about Toyotas--vested in the literal meaning of the term. You also have repeatedly shown a pattern of behavior that I will not elaborate on here but has made me decide this is the last post I will address to you.

I do intend to keep posting balanced views of Toyotas as well as other vehicles, so you'll just have to put up with that.
    Post 1011 is the perfect example. Also note that I said it happens to all makes. The majority of negative posts are either made up or copied from someone else to make it sound like a epidemic. Most have never even owned or driven the vehicle they are dogging. Since this is the Nissan vs Toyota forum, you will be hard pressed to find bad remarks about the topic from me because I know Nissan is a worthy competitor. I have struck out at the people that dog my beloved Toyotas when they talk BS. For instance the person who said they had to pay 4K to get a tow package and stereo upgrade as well as 50 state emissions which is free on other packages. In reality, the 50 state is listed on all packages, and the package that adds 4K includes over 4K in upgrades with the TRD package that he failed to mention. Or the guy that said the 6 speed manual in his regular 2 wheel drive is making noise like someone else's Oh, if he had one he would know that the only 2WD with a 6 speed manual is the PreRunner. As long as there are haters here, I will be here to set the record straight. If I step on a toe, oh well.
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Going on expressway Tacoma came over cut me off,well pe'od me kinda I dropped the Hammer on Fronty and smoked the Tacoma! It was fun to get a Toy's goat!

midnight I don't Hate TOYS! but I dislike they're dealers immensely! They gauge way to much! :)
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    "Going on expressway Tacoma came over cut me off,well pe'od me kinda I dropped the Hammer on Fronty and smoked the Tacoma! It was fun to get a Toy's goat!"

Alright!!! You are cool, man!!! BTW, do you have a thing with goats? :blush:

And another thing -- it is not gouging when the next guy on the lot will gladly pay what they are asking. Just cuz you don't wanna pay it, doesn't constitute gouging (or gauging as you call it). Congrats again on blowing by the goat. ;)
    As pricing goes, it is what the market will bare. The Tacomas are simply selling themselves. It happened to me again whilst looking over a new 06 Taco. The salesman just looked on, no approach at all. In fact, I had to approach him in for info. Be it good, bad, or indifferent, that is the way it is.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your Fronty!
    Sounds like the Toy got your goat! He didn't go driving like a fool as revenge.

I like the way people come on here and complain about the price of Toys, and brag that they got their Fronty for thousands below book and/or the Toy price. Guess what. The dealer that sold you it for that price didn't think is was worth any more either or he would still have it on his lot. If the Fronty dealer has to drop the price thousands and offer to polish your chrome, while the Toy salesmen wait in the building for people to come ask them questions and then refuse to deal, maybe the price is a good sign of the quality. I know Nissan has good products, but the numbers show that Toys sell themselves. And resell themselves for more.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    He forgot to mention that the Taco was a 4 cylinder. image

Glad to see that this forum is still a Frontier forum in goat's clothing.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    Here's something we can all laugh at!

Who cares about the merits of the metric system the USA put a man on the moon without it what does that say,while other countries claim to fame is Maple syrup. Besides using the Miles to Imperial Gallon bit doesnt make you travel farther on a tank of gas than using US gallons which is what your slyly trying to insinuate. And may the God of your choice bless you. :shades:
    When I shopped for a new truck I found that both Frontier and Tacoma were available discounted $3400 to $3700 off MSRP.
    I'd owned both a Frontier and a Tacoma in the past and I thought I was going to buy a Tacoma. Comparing the previous generation Tacoma vs. Frontier IMO the Tacoma was a better truck in the area of engine, interior and exterior styling.
    Now the Frontier has a VQ based engine that is one of Wards 10 Best Engines in the world for the past 12 years!
    It is excellent.
    Now the Frontier has IMO better styling than the Tacoma although I could be very happy with either trucks styling.
    Now the Frontier has an interior that is as good as the Tacoma and seats that are superior. The seats were the weakest point in the Tacoma.
    Now the Frontier has a NISMO off road package that is equal to the TRD off road in it's base form and superior when equipped with the traction package.
    The Frontier has available sunroof and available Rockford Fosgate sound system. Tacoma does not offer sunroof and does not have a JBL system that will match the quality of the Rockford.

No wonder Edmunds rated the Frontier ahead of the Tacoma.
    No wonder I ended up surprised that I purchased a Frontier NISMO.

The bottom line is that while both trucks were discounted similarly, the Frontier is equipped better when priced equally to the Tacoma and is a better truck for the money.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just a reminder not to make debates personal :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Going on expressway Tacoma came over cut me off,well pe'od me kinda I dropped the Hammer on Fronty and smoked the Tacoma! It was fun to get a Toy's goat!"

As we say in cycling:

"It's only a race if everyone agrees it's a race"

Actual track tests of the trucks are so close neither of you would have smoked the other... :shades:
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Photoshop a goat onto the roof and that will be too funny for words!
    I'm just funning with you. My point is that I feel as strongly about my great country and our system as you obviously do yours.
    Now lets get back to the trucks.
    Cheers!
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    This happened more than a year ago. I was tired of wasting money on my Tundra(because of the gas prices) so I decided to buy a new truck. The 2 trucks on my list were the all new Tacoma(245hp) and the all new Frontier(265hp). These trucks both had the power,style,comfort,and incredible off road capabilities. The Tacoma was more preferable to me because they charged me about 27,000 dollars for the Frontier and 25,000 dollars for the Tacoma. I was looking for a SE King cab Frontier and PreRunner V6 Tacoma. I came home the Tacoma. Hey there both great trucks buy the one preferable to you.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I am neutral on the Toyota Nissan issue as I have one of each and they are both very nice
    vehicles.

I do disagree with you that just because the
    next guy on the lot is willing to pay the price that it is not gouging.

I am not refering to Toyota here, but to the gasoline prices. I think there is gouging going on, but I have to have gasoline so I pay the price.

I do a lot less driving now than I did when the
    prices were a little more user friendly and that is how I pay the oil companies back.

OkieScot
    I have to agree to an extent. If people are willing to pay the price for fuel, then charge it. However, when it comes to heating your house, it is not an option. For one thing, you can be fined by the local authorities and evicted for not having a heating source to your house. They claim it is so you won't burn your house down with a crude heating source, but it is also a requirement. If it is not a option, it needs to be price controlled. I can ride my bike or the bus, but I cannot have a roof over my head without fuel.
    Okay lets talk trucks enough of the funnin,Toyota Trucks are far superior and tougher and have a longer record of dependablity than any other including Nissan Frontier and get better gas mileage, however you want to calculate it.And now are being manufactorer in the greatest nation the world has ever seen,the USA,my country. :D
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    What a GREAT photo -- Ha!

I wonder how long it'll take Honda to send this thing back to the styling studio.
    The new Tacoma gets slightly better gas mileage (both trucks are expensive to run) but the Frontier is more agile, more compact, more fun to drive. I proved it to myself again on my latest test drive.
    I've never heard of someone describing a truck as agile and compact, hence the saying Truck like handling characteristics,I'll take the Toyota based on thier years of bullet proof designs and almost indestructable reliability,and they look far better than a Nissan and with gas going to all time highs I'll also take SLIGHTLY better gas mileage. Besides you obiviously have never test driven a Tacoma they are the most fun and enjoyable truck to drive on and off road. They are the best truck on the road based on history and present day realality.Nissans truck designs and power plants have always been one step behind Toyotas.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Sugarman1,

I try to stay neutral on this topic as I think both trucks are very nice. I drive a Frontier
    but my wife drives a Solara. The Solara is the nicest car I have ever owned.

Is the Solara perfect? No, it has a few problems, but I still think it is the best car I have ever owned.

I did test drive a Tacoma when I bought my Frontier. It was nice, but for my style of
    little old man driving I could not see 10 cents
    worth of difference between the two.

My choice was made because of the price and the styling of the Frontier. While you feel that Toyota is superior in styling I come down on the Nissan side. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will admit that my wife thinks my taste is a little strange. I mean how many people think that a Daimler Dart SP 250 is a nice looking car, yet I love them.

As far as reliability is concerned I have had
    3 Nissan pickups over a period of 26 years and
    I have never had to do more than replace a few
    batteries, a water pump, and an alternator.

The difference between these two trucks is very
    slim. When you factor in the lemons by both
    manufacturers there are no guarantees that you
    will get a bulletproof truck from either.

I had a 1969 Toyota Crown I bought new and kept for less than a year. It would just quit running and have to sit for a while before it would run again. Does that make all Toyotas bad? No, my wife is currently driving a very nice one. Will I buy another Toyota when we are ready to trade. There is a very good chance that I will as the Nissans cars I have
    owned have not been as comfortable to drive on trips.

It is amazing to me that on the recent 1100 mile trip we took in the Frontier we both felt
    more comfortable in the truck than the Solara.
    My wife even agreed with that.

The Solara is still more comfortable than the
    810 and Maxima we owned.

Each of us must make a choice based on our personal preferences. I am thankful that we have to really nice trucks that are so close in quality to choose from.

OkieScot
    Actually, I have driven both trucks 2 times each and both times walked away with the same opinion. If I were you I would try to be a little less opinionated. The Toy felt floaty, the Nissan more secure and nimble. Also, the Fronty wins it in the looks department. You see Sugarman, our opinions are all purely subjective.
    I don't own either one of these trucks (at least yet) and my Subaru is the vehicle of choice - it gets my heart rate up like no other.
    By the way, I wouldn't be bragging too much about the Taco design and powerplant. They are IMO just O.K.
    My work vehicle ( a 98 Toyota Sienna ) that I bought new has been basically reliable but I would not repurchase it if I had to do it over. The power-train seems to be bullet-proof, but everything else seems mediocre. I've had to replace the master switch (power windows/locks), the sliding door actuator, one brake cylinder, a power brake line, a power steering line, and a number of plastic trim items. And that's not to mention all the rattles and squeaks ( mainly the sliders) that I've had to endure.
    I'd add that the rattles and squeaks are the toughest to deal with because they are always present.
    Of course all these items failed after the warranty expired.
    My Subaru has been a delight thus far, my Honda Civic was near perfect, and my 81 Volvo 240 DL was care-free (except for a water pump and a fuel pump) until it was about 13.
    Nissan has a somewhat middle of the road reputation for quality, but, my family owns 3 Nissans and they praise them.
    I drove the FRONTY it handles crappy gets lousy gas mileage and looks retarded,you bought it because you can save some money and got a second rate truck. All Nissan does is play follow the leader and Toyota is the undisputed champ of light trucks and you have to pay a little to play with the big boys. By the way I really like the look of that cheesy roof rack on the Quad cab Fronty who on earth came up with that lame design,as you told me before lets talk trucks and leave Suburu and your wimpering heart out of it. Toyota owners can brag because we can back it up. Cweers! :P
    Learn how to read! I do not own a Frontier. I do own a Toyota Sienna. I am certainly not bragging.
    If anything, the handling aspects of these two trucks are very close but I feel that Nissan has a slight edge. The gas mileage for both vehicles is poor but Toyota is marginally better. As looks go, purely subjective. I prefer the Nissan.
    I believe that Nissan has made greater strides in improving the Frontier whereas Toyota has certainly improved the Tacoma, but to a lesser degree.
    Cheers!
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Not to mention the 4 star frontal crash rating and the fire hazard recall you get with the Frontier!
    Toyota Pickup Suspension Failures :lemon:

Hope Toyota changed the suspension on those 05's and 06's!
    Results of frontal offset crash testing by IIHS both Tacoma and Frontier obtained scores of Good.
    Right from the get-go Consumers Reports didn't like the Tacoma's chassis. I guess that's why the ride is floaty.
    At least that was my take on it. And that Camry numb steering feel (my Sienna is similar). Toyota has their work cut out for them.
    Toyota has addressed this problem and had a full recall for all affected trucks with loaner cars if necessary at no expense to owners. No fatalities or injurys have occured due to this problem. Dont worry yourself or start misinformation, the 05-06 Tacoma doesnt have this problem.
    Hope Toyota changed the suspension on those 05's and 06's!

Ya, that was a major black eye for Toyota. 4 failures of a part over a 4 year period and hundreds of thousands of autos. You know what causes ball joints to fail? Not maintaining them. Ask Ford. There is atleast a 10 year string of Fords on the road with tie rods and ball joints that are not lubable, and are failing at less than 100K. I guarantee you that 9 out of every 10 tie rods on Fords from 1990 on (maybe even before) with atleast 90K on the odometer have either been replaced or need to be. When s mechanic can grab the tie rod and separate it with his bare hands, it is faulty, and in 20 years, I have never done that with anything but Fords.
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    The Tacoma has a 5 star frontal crash rating and the Frontier only scored a 4 star rating.
This discussion has been closed.