Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    $3000 to $3600 off MSRP for an 06 Frontier would be the range that would be a good deal for Frontier.
    $16,888 is reasonable, if they advertised it at $16,888, offer them $16,500 and work up to about $16,700.

$1500 to $2500 off a 2006 Tacoma is the the range of discounts I would be seeking for the Tacoma.

Fitzmall and Carmax are usally good price references to start off with, they just do not have many 06's available now.

If I were buying right now I would either make sure I obtained a screaming good deal on an 06 or wait until January and by then there should be rebates on the 07's.
  • :lemon: This is not the answer,you dont know how and when to properly use the cruise control with an automatic tranny on hilly or mountainous roads. Dummy :confuse:
  • What were the main reasons cited against the Tacoma's reliability? Most Tacoma owners will tell you the reliability is great (but then again, they would be bias :blush: ).

--
    Marcus
    http://www.TacomaWorld.com/
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    What were the main reasons cited against the Tacoma's reliability?

Your question is not clear to me as "Consumer Reports rated both the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier as above average in the latest CR report" is not an "against" statement.

Above average is very good, and both the Frontier and Tacoma were rated above average for reliability.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    My 2006 CR rates the Frontier and Tacoma both average for new car and 05 used car prdictabity
    but when you look all of the way down the col-
    ums on both vehicles almost all better or much better than average. Not sure what happened for them to be rated average.

The Frontier did have one average and one much worse than average out of 15 catagories. The
    Tacoma had two averages out of the 15 catagor-
    ies.

I would say that the Tacoma would be a little better than the Frontier, but not by very much.
    I own a Frontier.

OkieScot
  • If you were to compare the resale value lets say after 5 years of ownership of a Taco vs Frontier(equal level of equipment) the Taco will have a higher resale value. But more than likely you will have payed more for the Taco than the Frontier when you bought it. So it all comes down to $ and taste.
    Living in a neighborhood of all GMC & Ford trucks(full size)the guys called my truck a 'grocery getter'. But their voices because very silent when the price of gas was at $3 bucks a gallon. I told them when they needed to go for groceries I could take them if they could not afford to put gas in their truck that week........ :)
    It's only a matter of time before we see another spike in gas prices. This time think about $4 gallon :sick:
    I had to replace the driver's side sunvisor on my wife's Toyota Solara this week. I took a ticket from my Nissan dealership showing they were giving me a 20% discount.

I told the parts guy to try to match it as parts pricing would be one of the factors as to whether I got a Nissan or Toyota for my wife
    in the next few years when we replace her car.

He gave me a 32% discount on the visor which by
    the way is a very pricey item.

Something else to consider when making a decision between the two.

OkieScot
  • I'm considering a 07 Frontier 4X2 king cab LE with hard tonneau, side & curtain airbag pkg.,and active brake limited slip. Has anyone had any experience with the tonneau? Would an aftermarket to be better? Or maybe a roll-up? Also, most of the messaages I see are for the SE or Xe. I feel the LE gives me everything without having to buy any extra pkgs.
    Any thoughts?
    I have am '05 LE KC with a Fold-A-Cover tonneau
    on it. I have been very happy with it so far.
    The LE 4X2's get pretty nice fuel mileage more
    so than the Nismo's and other 4X4's.

You can see the Fold-A-Cover tonneau at their website www.foldacover.com or you can see my
    truck at: www.picturetrail.com/okiescot

OkieScot
  • Hi OkieScot,
    Thanks for the come back. I noticed you have an LE. Any problems since you purchased? Everytime I bring up a Nissan Frontier I'm told the Toyota W/Sport package is a better truck. Any feelings? I know the price is higher but if the quality is there it would be worth it but, the Nissan gives you more without adding all the packages.
    I have an intermittent vibration that I have not been able to identify. It does it after it has run for a while and is sitting at a traffic control.

It will never reproduce the sound when I take it into the dealership. Other than that I have had no problems that the dealership was not able to correct.

I actually looked at a Tacoma when I bought my Frontier, but it was not worth the extra $5000 they wanted for it over the Frontier.

I like the looks of the Frontier better anyway.
    They are both good trucks and I could enjoy either one. My wife drives a 2000 Toyota Sol-
    ara and it is one of the nicest cars I have ever owned.

The Solara has also had a few problems, but nothing that would keep me from buying another one.

OkieScot
  • Thanks, appreciate your comments.
  • glothgloth Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a LE King Cab, I feel like it is a good way to go
  • Did you shop Toyota first? What are you getting on the truck? For some reason the Nissan dealers in my area aren't stocking LE models at least not the 2wd. They have a few of the crew cabs with 4x4 and SEs'4x4, and 2wd. but no LE. I also noticed on Nissans's web site it won't let you build the LE without the hard tonneau and if you select the air bag option it steps you down to the XE. The dealers tell me they can order whatever I want, HaHaHa. ;)
  • badnessbadness Posts: 242
    OkieScot

what kind of shock could I put on Nissan LE 4*4CC,I don't have a lift in it,and its all stock,thoe Have the fold a cover it looks great,I didn't save any gas as everyone says you do,except how it looks one it.Have noticed and gas saving?

Thanks,
    Brad
    I have put a true dual exhaust on my truck, a Volant CAI, and the Fold-A-Cover bed cover and as near as I can tell I am getting about the same mileage as before all of these additions.

I read where others have gained better mileage with each of these modifications, but I am not seeing it on my truck.

On the other hand I am enjoying my truck more and that is enough for me.

I cannot help you with shocks as I have the stock shocks on my truck and have no plans of upgrading them until I have a problem with them.

Over on Club Frontier there have been a few threads on this topic, but it is mostly in the 4X4 section and since I have a 4X2 I don't spend much time there. It might be worth a look see though.

OkieScot
  • badnessbadness Posts: 242
    Thanks man.
  • I've had mix results with my CAI, cover and synthetic oil.
  • I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x2 Long bed, TRD Sport with a 4.0 liter V6 and Auto trans. I've read a few comparisons posted by Frontier owners, and although I can't dispute how well the Fronties are built, I went with the Tacoma for various reasons. First of all I used to own a 1998 Frontier King Cab with auto trans and 4 cyl. 98 was the first year Nissan built the Frontier, and being a die hard Nissan fan I bought one. The Frontier was a great truck, however I always felt like I was being cheated when I would line up next to a Tacoma at a red light. Somehow, the Nissan always looked cheaper in build quality to me. Maybe that explains why you can get more bells and whistles to come with a Frontier, because Nissan dealers are always willing to give more incentives than a Toyota dealer. When I began shopping for a new truck, I noticed that The Frontier did'nt come with a composite bed, or a long bed for that matter. These features were important to me because I own a pool service business. When chlorine gets on spray on bed liners, it fades and leaves white spots on the bed which eventually cracks. I also heard that spray on bed liners bubble up when exposed to extreme heat. I coul'nt handle this cause I live in Las Vegas. My composite bed does'nt have this problem, and the extra bed length allows me to carry more epuipment when I have to. The Frontier interior left alot to be desired when compared to the tacoma. The dash looked dated and cheaper, with much more plastic utilized than Toyota. The seats in the Tacoma are more like sports car seats which is great for comfort during cross country trips. The rear seatbacks in my double cab felt more relaxed and angled than the upright seatbacks in the Frontier. (Although the Frontier I believe has about an inch more leg room). Finally, I don't like driving a vehicle that shares the same platform as other models in their lineup. For example, the Frontier uses a shortened version of the Titan chasis. The front end of the Frontier is also identical to that of the Pathfinder. When Toyota designed the Tacoma, they redesigned the truck from groud up with no substituion except for the 4.0 liter engine shared with the Fj Cruiser. By the way, that Toyota 4.0 liter engine with 236 hp also holds a faster track time than the Frontier with 245 hp. The only grief I have with my Tacoma is the fact that Toyota went with rear drum setup over discs. When it all comes to the bottom line, I guess you have to ask yourself if paying more for a Tacoma makes more sense than paying less for a Frontier and getting more bells and whistles. I know one thing, you know that sunroof you got on your Frontier that is'nt offered on the Tacoma? It will eventually haunt you with all that extra wind noise and leaks after a couple of years. Don't say I did'nt warn ya. :)
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Well, for one thing, paying more for a Tacoma that comes less equipped makes little sense. Besides, the Frontier is more fun to drive and has the looks to boot ( interior included). I think the Frontier was better thought out, to tell you the truth, and those track times are open to interpretation. I've seen track times posted that favoured the Nissan, and I for one thought the Frontier felt quicker.
    By the way, the V-6 pumps out 261 ponies, and I'll still take the sun roof.