Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• toykicktoykick Member Posts: 104
    lol you know whats funny? i knew someone was going to post something like that... Oh i owned nissans in the past and they all have been more reliable then my toyotas... I should of posted this remark before you posted yours lol.... since most of the thread has been nothing but crap... I'm not saying i dont believe you, but then again this is a forum called tacoma vs. frontier... I could tell you how many electrical, Brake and tranny issues i've had with past nissans but whats the point... lol If you want me to Shut up Prove me wrong not with lame personal write ups... I've posted almost all sources... call them what you want Rag mags etc... They are the top reviewers... If people didnt buy or read their crap i wouldnt even be posting these facts...
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    According to Consumer Reports Toyotas have been more reliable than Nissans.
    BUT, for the 05 season both the Tacoma and Frontier were totally redesigned. Only time will tell how either one holds up. I for one have faith in both these companies to build good, safe, quality vehicles. I am currently driving a 98 Sienna which has served me well. Except for a few electrical glitches, the vehicle has been a two thumbs up. Mind you, I maintain it very well. Am I stuck on Toyota?
    By all means, No! I'm keeping an open mind, doing my research, test driving, and conversing with as many people as I can, whether they be mechanics, or owners of whatever auto I may be interested in. Overall, I like what I've read, heard, driven, and seen of both the 05 Tacoma and Frontier. In the end though, it is all purely subjective. Go Toyota! Go Nissan!
  • time2time2 Member Posts: 25
    I agree with the reliability of the Nissans. Nissan has always built trucks as or more reliable as the Toyotas. Nissan owners have just never had to pay for more stylish (feminine in my opinion) interiors and style points that are so important for the typical Toyota owner's self esteem.

I just traded my 93 Nissan Pickup in with 512K and no problems for my 05 Frontier. I was ready for a change and I just trust the Nissan trucks more based on my experience and not magazine drivel. Just a solid and reliable truck. More reliable than Toyotas from what I've seen with my trucks and those that I know of locally.

Really now, I suppose we'll next see the National Enquirer Truck of the Year-- Tacoma! LOL What a joke!!!

I suppose whatever it takes to make you Tacoma folks feeling better about your truck. lol
    Make that 215K, not 512K. My mistake.
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    I like my new Toyota so far. I liked my Mazda too. :)

Hmmm, this is a fairly widespread on august body. It might be interesting to do an experiment. For a fixed period of time (I suggest a month or two), note the trucks that you see broken down by the side of the road. Note just the make. Don't count flats. I wonder what the stats would show?

Yes, I know, its not always clear whether a truck is broken down, or the driver is out taking a pee, or is a left-over from an accident, so the study has some problems.

Wayne
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Toykick,

You have a problem. In an earlier post I mentioned the Consumer Report results and said that the Tacoma was slightly better than the Frontier. As close as they were it looks like to me you have a very good chance of getting a good one which ever way you go.

As far as not believing me I could not care less. I know what I have owned and how
    much I have had to do to each one in the years I owned it.

If you were paying attention to what I said you also should have noticed that my wife is
    currently driving a Solara, which i said was one of the best cars I have ever owned. We
    may replace it with another Toyota when the time comes, but if I associate all Toyota
    people with you I would not have another one on a bet.

I know better though, there are a lot of Toyota people out there who don't have to disre-
    spect someone else just because they don't agree with you.

OkieScot
    If I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that we would'nt be any further ahead in knowing the facts.
    I was just viewing the web site myCarstats.com......the 05 Tacoma isn't looking all that good. What do you think of that? I expect both (if not all) trucks to improve over time.

Mike
  • jdunne78jdunne78 Member Posts: 11
    I've gone back and test drove each vehicles a second time and still come back around to the Frontier. It just wins in the every day usefulness that I find important.

Heated seats are great. I have to leave my truck outside for 10 hours during sub zero midwest winters while at work. It's a little bit of luxury I appreciate. The much quieter cabin and road manners are nice for my highway commute. The ease of flipping up the back seat to make room for things in the back is a lot nicer. An electric defrost is a nice touch. The Rockford stereo and Satellite pre-wiring is a bonus that Toyota doesn't provide either.

My only hold up comes to the lack of long bed option, but it's something that isn't going to affect me in a day to day usefulness. I might miss it *sometimes*, but the little stuff that Frontier does right will be more apparent in day to day use of th truck.

Oh, and the fact that I can get a Frontier right now for almost $2,000 under invoice is nothing to sneeze at.

I think my wife and I will be picking up a fully loaded Frontier LE CC 4x4 later this month.
    Sounds like a heck of a deal! I for one preferred the ride and the handling of the Frontier but expected the reverse and have been leaning towards the Nissan ever since my first test drive. That truck climbs like a billy goat in rough terrain ( the Tacoma is no slouch). And don't worry about the long bed option. It'll be that much easier to maneuver and park.
    Go for it and enjoy!
    I've seen several 22r_ engines with more then 500k... whats your point? lol

as for magazine drivel... i guess you didnt recognize what i said neither... Talking crap online or on a forum is useless... you've proved it.. But Theres several sources which have comparison tests and have more knowledge about cars and trucks then probably you and me... To be honest... I dont care much about nissan... most people know their history... I guess you probably like driving a [non-permissible content removed] truck with ford parts in it(older models)... and as for reliability... if nissan made great cars they wouldnt of gone bankrupt in mid-early 90s for crappy craftsmanship ... lol if it wasnt for a french company (which owns more then 50% of nissan now) they wouldnt be around today...
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    You've been the biggest loud mouth about your Frontier!! What's the problem?? YOU buy the wrong truck!! Is it "Taco Envy"? LOL!!

We're all trying to help each other here dude.....Like I said before BOTH trucks are good!!

Sayin' " feminine in my opinion" ....." Nat. Enquirer. T.O.T.Y" and your previous crap makes you look like a IDIOT!! Why don't you tell ppl whats good (or bad) about your truck?? Maybe you could help someone?? Ever thought a that?? Makes you feel good too!!

You know, you can still "bust balls" and keep it cool!!

Raise a glass to both Taco and Fronty!! Cheers! Till we meet on the street or in the dirt!!
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    "I think my wife and I will be picking up a fully loaded Frontier LE CC 4x4 later this month."

Cool! Enjoy it, particularly that odor of the gods, "new car smell"!

:):):)

Wayne

p.s. My wife hates new car smell
    but you Toyota loyalists are just so fun to get riled up!

OK, I'll just concentrate on being helpful.

Buy a Frontier! lol
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    There you go!!

Nice and polite...best of luck to you and your Frontier!

Thank You!!
  • edsnurideedsnuride Member Posts: 3
    my first new truck was an 89 B2600i 4X4 5speed. It was supposed to be my dad's truck but I ended up with it. It never gave me problems, only what I had put it through and even then it was all wear and tear. So... buying a new truck for the first time is and was a big deal.

I was leaning towards Toyota at first because of what other people and magazine experts and commercials, etc. had said.

I don't want to get into too many details but I ended up testing both the 05 tacoma automatic(couldn't find a 6speed) and teh 05 frontier 6speed. Both trucks are great but again I've only owned a 4cyl. 4x4. so I guess anything taht is not 4cyl. would be very impressive to me.lol

Seriously, If you gonna have an oppinion that others will appreciate, validate it with having test driven both sides, not jsut from what you have read or what teh statistics or these experts have said. Both trucks have their pros and cons and neither one is without their quirks. I've done my own homework and, checked both the Nissan and Toyota Forum. The Nissan forum in my own opinion is a very boring place. The only exciting part that became a big commotion was an intake manifold noise(it was taken care of with the TSB, other than that not much...so far.

I test drove the Toyota then the Frontier then the Toyota again to make sure...
    ...i have been driving my new Frontier SE 6 speed for 7 months now and have been very fortunate not to have the problems that some frontier owners are having.

Climbing up H3 towards the mountain and seeing multiple waterfall in the Koolaus with the windows down and feeling both the wind on my face and feel of my frontier's power doing what it is supposed to be doing is jsut awesome, awesome, awesome.

It took me awhile to get over my selling of my mazda truck but I'm over it now and i still see it roaming around town..

Don't want to get in too many details but I test drove
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I've posted a few times on the Nissan 2005+ forum re: my Frontier NISMO experiences.
    See those for my off-road experiences in detail.

I've had 3-4Runners (including its predecessor, the Trekker). Have great respect for the Toys and their reliability. Drove my 91 185K before my wife realized it didn't have airbags and insisted I replace it. Tears ran down my cheeks as it went out the driveway on the Jerr-Dan, headed for an auto actions for the benefit of Purple Heart. That truck and I had shared some great experiences and my GSDs loved going for a ride in it. Have used the 98 4Runner for past few years and it too has earned my respect.

So why did I desert Toyota for Nissan and purchase a Frontier? First of all, when I found that the new Tacoma needed premium gas for best performance I said no way. I wasn't going to take a chance that it would run "ok" on regular gas. I wasn't going to pay more for the premium given current gas prices, even in late July when I was looking for seriously for a new truck. I did not get the rude treatment that some have complained about at Toyota dealers. The salesman even searched the regional inventory to see how many Tacomas were available with side airbags, which my wife insisted I get this time.

The other main reason I went with Nissan is that we purchased a Nissan Armada in 04 primarily for traveling (now has 36K on it) and it's been a great vehicle. Uses too much gas, but other than that, it is an excellent vehicle. However, it's too large to use on a regular basis for off-road adventures, but it can do it when it has to. The Armada impressed me for a first year production by Nissan so I was willing to take a chance on the redesigned Nissan Frontier.

I believe you will find you get more for your dollar with the Nissan. Look at what you get in the basic truck or even when you have selected your options compared with the Tacoma. Then, go to the dealer and see what price they will offer you. Think you will come out better with Nissan. They don't have the attitude that too many Toyota dealer have. As the old Avis advertisement use to say, "we try hard". On the other hand, the Tacoma is probably worth more after a few years than the Frontier.

In summary, I don't think can go wrong with either. You could save a lot more if you had purchased a US company's vehicle during the family prices era, but don't think you would get as good a vehicle.

81 Trekker
    What are the facts? I took a look at the I.I.H.S. crash tests and the N.H.T.S.A. crash tests and noticed one very important fact. The Frontier in the I.I.H.S. test weighed in at 350 lbs. more than the Tacoma and in the N.H.T.S.A. test the Frontier weighed in at a whopping 982 lbs. more. The experts say that if any two vehicles are not within 250lbs. then they should not be compared.
    The more weight the more force. It is that simple. And, I betcha' that if you were to slam these two vehicles into each other at any significant speed the Toyota would be worse for the wear. Just something to think about. We see what we want to see.
    A non biased car enthusiast.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    You are right about seeing what we want to see, but I doubt the non-biased part. If you test a 2K pound vehicle and a 10K pound vehicle against concrete barriers and get better survivability out of the lighter vehicle, I would not expect the lighter vehicle to fair better in a head on crash. However when the weight is within 350 or even 1000 pounds, I would expect the same results as in the test considering that the vehicles are about the same height and will be hitting something considerably more forgiving than a concrete barrier. If the "experts" say not to compare vehicle of different weight, why do they catagorize the Tundra and Ford, Chevy and Dodge half tons togeather? I guarantee the weight varies more than 350 pounds. It is because they are close enough to where it does not make a measurable difference.
    Who are they, that are categorizing Tundra, and Ford, Chevy and Dodge? According to the crash test.com web site, the # 1 determining safety factor is weight. If you are involved in a two vehicle crash you'll generally fair better in the heavier vehicle (mass absorbs energy).
    When running into a concrete barrier at whatever speed, the added weight of whatever vehicle will play a role in how much damage occurs to that vehicle. That is why the + or - 250lb. difference is figured in. More weight = more force. That is why we should look beyond the ratings ( in this case, the star ratings) . In other words, read between the lines.I just wanted to make a point in reference to what toykick posted and the crash test results. That said, I believe that the new Tacoma and Frontier are both very well built trucks and I would feel 100% secure in either.
    just another auto enthusiast
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I have used the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site. I just checked, and they included the S10 also, which is definately lighter (I looked at 2002 because that is what year my Tundra was). 2005 used the Canyon, Colorado, all full size trucks, the Nissan, and the Toyotas. The Nissan came up with 4,4,5,5 stars in areas tested. The Tundra and Tacoma came up with 5 stars in all areas tested. Ya, I am biased!!!! 4 1/2 stars out of 5 is definately something I would haul my kids in. Depending on the test and tester, it could obviously go either way. Had I driven the Nissan, I could very well be driving one. Just was estatic with the Toyota service after the sale. Had to go back. Mazda and GM pretty much ended up in the bottom of the heap. In my opinion, if you are driving a Frontier or Tacoma, you got your money worth.
    Those are the only two trucks I'm interested in at this point. Receiving either a 4 or a 5 star rating with the NHTSA is respectable and certainly says something about how well the vehicle has been engineered. Throw in the IIHS good ratings for both these trucks and you have two winners. If I had money to burn I'd own one of each!
  • antikryctantikryct Member Posts: 1
    Not having test driven the Taco (shame on me) I bought an 05 Frontier LE a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I'm not going to start pissing, but here's my perspective (in case there are any wafflers that can't get off the fence and go buy a frontier)...

I payed 26,500 for a CC LE w/ leather, sunroof, rockford-fosgate package, bed extender, and the abls upgrade. I also got $1000 rebate from nissan so it was really $25,500.

I was a little uneasy about the 16mpg when I was looking, but after driving it for a couple weeks, I'm averaging 18.4 with a 17 mile commute each way, in stop and go both morning and evening. (tail-gate down bed extender out).

I also liked the interior of the Taco better. Thought it was more refined, etc. I'm just fine with the Frontier's after a couple weeks. While somewhat blah and plasticy, it's actually quite solid and doesn't seem cheap at all. The leather dresses it up enough and it is a truck so what the hell. All in all, I would say it's clean looking. The thing I like most is the width of the door next to the driver's window. I can stick my arm there with the window up just like an armrest. Most cars I've been in, you have to have the window down for that to work right. I guess I just like the simple things.

Love the sunroof.

It's as fun a vehicle to drive as I've ever driven. Absolutely no complaints with the handling or engine.

I didn't haggle with a Toyota Dealer, so I don't know what kind of Taco you can get for what kind of money, but 25,500 for an LE CC w/ leather, a sunroof and an upgraded stereo is pretty sweet in my opinion. I wouldn't doubt that by the end of the year or early next year Nissan will be kicking $2K or more back on the 05. You just can't beat what you get for the price. I certainly felt as though I couldn't anyway.

For anyone waffling...don't worry. You'll love it.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    I too have the same truck,its an a TIger I say ,I'm getting close to 22Mpgs on my truck and 19city now,1300mi.s on it so far, the stereo Rocks!
    did you get the satlite?
  • 3tacoma3tacoma Member Posts: 15
    My father in law has an 05 Frontier 2wd Automatic DC short bed.
    I have an 05 Tacoma 4wd Automatic DC short bed.

We both have run only 87 octane gas. His Frontier gets average 20.1 mpg and my Tacoma gets an average of 19.4. Thats puts them about = due to the 4wd compared to the 2wd. We have driven each others trucks and both are in agreement that both vehicles are very similar. The Tacoma kicks [non-permissible content removed] in the 1/4 mile, kicking the Frontier every time, even though the Fronty is 2WD. Pulling seems to be equal with no difference pulling the same boat (5000lbs. 19' 3" Basscat bassboat).

Both are very solid vehicles and very similar in performance and looks. If your buying, Flip a Coin!
  • gingerbreadmangingerbreadman Member Posts: 1
    Other than the Tacoma having a much better name, the Frontier is the Huckleberry. The composite (read: PLASTIC) bed in the Tacoma is Fruity. The Rails can only hold a total of 300 pounds or 100 each TOTAL. The Frontier can hold 300 per rail, and there are 5 Rails. This is much of the reason that the Tacoma is lighter. The Tacoma also has a Riveted Frame that is only partially boxed. From the Firewall forward, the Tacoma has a noodly, weak sister of the poor C channel. The Frontier is a Double C (imagine two Cs that face eachother, one inside of the other) from start to finish. It also has Welded Cross Members, instead of Rattlely Rivets. Credit the Frontier's Titan DNA.

The motor in the Frontier is the Chain Drive VQ series. Both motors will last as long as you keep oil in them, but the Frontier will require a ton less maintenance. It also has a much lower insurance rating and the VDC/ABLS/Down Hill Assist is absolutley the best out there.

Either truck is fantastic. The Dodge gets crappy gas mileage and has an interior taken from the 1989 Chrysler Laser parts bin. The commercial with the V8 Mitsu making the Frontier wet itself is very funny, until you consider it is about 40 Horse short of the Frontier and would get its doors twisted of by Nissan's V6 like a kid torturing a bug. As for the Chevy Canyon, who asked for a 5 Cylinder Motor? Its not a VOLVO! Ford, Mazda are absolute noncompetes. :confuse:
    The name game is a non issue for me. Time will tell in regards to the composite bed and how well it will stand up, besides, for most half ton truck people either bed will suffice. I don't know though if I'd want to be sliding a camper unit onto a Tacoma. I do believe that the Nissan chassis may be better ( it certainly should be stronger), thanks to it's big brother, and the Frontier's VQ motor is tried and true. And, as far as the remainder of the bunch goes, I'm not particularly enthused. G.M. should possibly have stayed with their six cylinder as opposed to the fiver ( go figure), Ford/Mazda are long in the tooth and need updating, and Dodge is hanging on.
    I'm still anxiously waiting for the Tacoma and Frontier 06 models to arrive on the scene.
  • dennwialldennwiall Member Posts: 11
    Who cares what kind of frame Tacoma /Frontier got? According to official crash test results Tacoma has higher safety rating then Frontier (this is real numbers and not some B.S from the poster above) Nissan VDC/ABLS/Downhill Assist the best? Did you hear that from you local Nissan dealer? And I don’t wanna even start engine wars here. Seem like many Nissan owners just come here to vent and make them self to believe the done right choice for the money the paid...
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Who cares what kind of frame Tacoma /Frontier got?

Well, at least that spared me from having to read anymore.
    In reference to "the official crash test results", the test Frontier outweighed the Tacoma by almost half a ton in the N.H.T.S.A. test and according to the I.I.H.S. test the Frontier weighed in at 350lbs. more and both trucks scored a GOOD rating. There is no way you can call the Tacoma safer. They are both safe, well built trucks and both have their own merits. "Real numbers" are not always real world!
    Typical cocky Toyota poster. All defensive because they got one upped by the Frontier and can't handle it. Seems the people who actually compared the trucks and don't hide behind magazine articles and crash tests come to choose the Frontier.

Frontier wins! Tacoma loses. Tsk, tsk.
  • jas_iajas_ia Member Posts: 2
    How about a few opinions on which gives more advantage off road, the higher ground clearance of the frontier or the better approach/departure angles of the taco. I would think for rock crawling the angles would be more important but I'd venture to say not many of us do much serious rock crawling. In most other situations such as rutted or rocky roads or trails with tree stumps, branches, roots the higher clearance would be more useful. Deep snow? Again the ground clearance gets the advantage I think. What do you guys think?
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Who really cares which truck is best, which has the most horse power, etc? There are
    a few who take their trucks out where it might matter who has the most ground clear-
    ance, but I wager most of us would have enough ground clearance in a Miata.

Who cares about the safest truck unless you have a truck load of kids? I have ridden
    motorcycles and sportscars most of my life so any truck is safer than that.

These two trucks are very close in most aspects and that is the way the manufacturers
    planned it. You cannot go wrong with either truck so why all of the ranting over a few
    cents worth of difference.

Most of us seclect our vehicles from our personal list of preferences and rightly so.
    Just because you do not select the same vehicle I do does not make you wrong and
    me right.

We all have a love for trucks or at least a need for trucks so why not try to accept each
    others choice and be glad we have two such great trucks to pick from?

OkieScot
    I just hate to see unfair reviews from Nissan owners and probably bored dealers… Btw, all new Tacoma engines got chain even including passengers cars like Camry 4 and 6 cylinders. I don’t see any engine maintenance problems other then changing oil, coolant and air filter. Here is crash test real results: http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=75
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Well I was! in market for new Extended 4X4 Nismo or Toy TRD. But with fuel going crazy I have backed off on purchase. Neither of 05's are very frugal on gas, so I may opt for Certified 03/04 Toy or Nissan. Probably will go with the Toy do to my research in Consumer Reports 03,04 &05 editions. While the Nissan is very good in Consumers it comes up short against the Tacoma. I may opt for late model Tacoma extended 4X4, Fronty not quite up there, and buying used certified I'm going with Tacoma duribility/reliabilty. If I change mind I still think Fronty Nismo is best buy & bang for the $$$$,s Toy TRD is 3 to $4000 more. Will look for 03/04 Tacoma with 2.7 4 banger auto trans 4X4 extended, they made alot so shouldn't
    be a problem to find. This is still a fun thread and good info,keep it going.
    PS Check out Consumer Reports (AUTOS) and they show reliability reports 03/04/05. Surf Fish'in Critter. sandblaster :)
    Even Steven, half a dozen or six. Tacoma 1 Frontier 1.
    Well said 2005lekc ! Some people just seem to think they need to be partisan. Sort of like the Pepsi/Coke thing.

A Toyota owner
    alright... alright the Frontier isnt all that bad... chit it did better then the raider...
    as for fully boxed frame... well look at the Dakota.. It has a more rigid frame then the frontier and it did bad... it also weighs more then the frontier...

as for which frame is best... well when your on a head on or side impact collision the frame isnt going to take much of the impact.
    Apples and oranges!
    If you're referring to the crash tests, the structures of all 3 vehicles held up well. And referring to the frame, as for which is best, best at what?
    The Dakota and Frontier have more mass and that's a plus if another vehicle plows into you.
    The crashability is still only one factor of many to consider.
    Apples and oranges? - YEAH Right!!!!

Just compared two Base 4x2 regular cab configurations. Nissan Frontier weight 4,687 lbs, Toyota Tacoma weight 4,550 lbs. Not a big difference I guess so ‘More Mass Statement’ doesn’t really apply here. As for the worries about mass absorb during front collision I’d recommend to buy 50 ton tank.., perhaps it won’t help you a lot if you hit a freight train.
    Nissan people just drive me crazy!!! :mad:
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    If $$$$ isn't a problem go with what you like both TRD/NISMO give great Off Road
    performance,but NISMO gives much more standard then TOY. The TRD package is
    about $3,600.00 just for that. Toy options you to death and the bottom line is 2 to $4,000 more then NISMO. If you like Toy better go for it,but for the $$$$ Nismo is a
    very good buy. IF I buy will probably go with Nismo because of value and $$$$,for
    some of us bang for our $$$$ means alot. Keep jaw'in it's fun to read different info,slant & opinions.
    Surf Fish'in Critter

PS drove both and liked them both.
    Where did you find a Tacoma that weighs in at 4550lbs.? All I was doing was comparing 2 trucks in exact crash tests that were not of the same weight....actually, they were in different weight classes, the 2 trucks in the two tests that I looked at. The people that test these vehicles state that if you are comparing 2 or more vehicles, compare ones that are within 250 lbs. + or -. That is where the apples and oranges comes in. Actually, I would love to see a test performed that showed an 05 frontier crashing head on into an 05 tacoma at a good clip. I bet you, if anything, it would be a draw. That would be a more realistic test and quite entertaining. A lot more entertaining and/or realistic than driving around in a tank, don't you think?
    By the way, I am not a Nissan person.
    Ops..actually I was refer to the Frontier/Tacoma fully loaded weight - GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) Vehicle Curb Weight + payload + trailer weight + driver and passengers. I’m sure you’ll be amazed to see the head crashing test of both vehicles… Personally to me more then enough to see results of crash into solid concrete wall where famous Frontier boxed frame did worse then Tacoma.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I've taken my NISMO though some pretty extensive tests in the GW National Forest and it certainly out performed my 98 4Runner on hill climbs with lose rocks and gravel. Of course, I could not test the Tacoma under these conditions. I did see a post earlier this year which suggested there was some part, possibly the exhaust, on the Tacoma that was lower than it should be for off road use. I took my old 91 4 Runner into some incredible places, it bottomed out,and went airborne more than once, but it always got me home. Realistically speaking, I suspect that at least 8 inches of ground clearance will get most of us there and back again. See my other posts here and under NISMO 2005+ if you want more details.
    81 trekker
    How perceptive! You may have the final word.
    the 05 4Runner and the 05 tacoma are totaly different trucks... they dont share the same frame. The 05 tacoma frame is from the petrol landcruiser... The 05 4runner in my opinion sucks offroad...
    Did "worse" in what respect? You're aware of course that weight differences in the vehicles mean you can't compare crash tests. Also you seem to be implying that the benefits of a box frame are confined to vehicle crashes????
    Read above!. The weight difference is very minimal (a little over 100lb) Have a 300lb dude in your Toy and you already should be over Frontier weight :D Now seriously, Frontier may look bigger and stronger but in reality it’s all plastic and thin body metal makeup. It performs worse http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=75 in a crash test and that is the real facts and if the weight a little more why don’t their engineers adjust frame durability according to the extra hundred pounds. This is my last post here, I just can’t take this ‘frame, engine, maintenance, chain drive etc..’ b.s anymore. Toyota Tacoma is a better truck in terms of reliability, durability, resale value and their name after all.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    It is not proven that the 2005 tacoma is more reliable than the 2005 Frontier, so that is not a true statement.
    Some crash tests I looked at showed a lower head injury rating for the Tacoma. I think it got an "Acceptable" and the Frontier got a "Good."
    I have not weighed vehicles, but I think the weight of each truck alone (without a load, or a trailor, or whatever) is more than 100 lbs. different - maybe 400-600 lbs.
    I find it odd that something that is "plastic and thin body metal" weighs more. Don't say it's because of the metal bed, either. That doesn't amount for that much.
    I do hope you enjoy your Tacoma. I am sure it is a great truck, but having owned an 04 tacoma (RIP) and an 05 frontier, I know both companies make good vehicles.
    To each his own - both are likely reliable, safe trucks.
    Given the amount of misinformation you've spread around here, I'm not surprised that you go with the old "this is my last post" routine when challenged. You make a big deal about comparing apples and oranges in crash tests, but don't know how they're conducted--or apparently the specifics of the tacoma/frontier scores. You make a big deal about the whole boxed frame issue but clearly think that this is primarily an issue related to frontal crash tests. FWIW, I think the Tacoma is a very nice truck, one that I'd be proud to own if (IMO) the Frontier didn't represent somewhat better value from a cost perspective.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    "FWIW, I think the Tacoma is a very nice truck, one that I'd be proud to own if (IMO) the Frontier didn't represent somewhat better value from a cost perspective."

I, too, stand on this ground. The frontier was a better value up front, by about 3,000 to 3,500 bucks.
    Some argue that the Tacoma has less depreciation, but what if you invest the 3500 dollar difference properly, over, say, ten years? Anyway, my logic says the frontier is a better value for my needs, but both are definitely good choices.
This discussion has been closed.