Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• I purchased a 2005 FORD MUSTANG in AUG. of 2005. MY daughter also purchased one in JULY 2005. WE are both having fuel fill problems. THERE are specific gas pumps in our town that we can use to only receive a 1/2 tank of gasoline, upon movement of the car to another pump can receive other 1/2 tank of gas. some gas pumps will click off at 60, 70, 80 cents and will not fill tank. I have tried turning the nozzle upside down and sideways as suggested by dealership. sometimes this will work , sometimes not , depending on the gas station I am at . WE both work out of town and have difficuties getting gas at times. I have taken both cars to the dealerships they were purchased from (multiple times) . THE dealerships inform me that nothing can be done about the vehicles, there is no repair . THEY are stating that the gas tank was redesigned and there is no repair .These cars were built after April 2005. I did not spend alot of money on a car to have to perform special procedures to get gasoline in my tank !!!! This is crazy, I dont care how good the car looks, I need to be able to receive gasoline the same way all the other cars that I have owed for the last 30 years . Also, my daughters mustang is making a popping noise from the front end , cd player not working properly, spinner from wheel fell off , black piece from steering wheel fell off , engine check light is flashing on and off. Car will go back to dealership tomorrow . does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    Check the manufacturer technical bulletins for the car listed on this site (under maintenance and projected costs). This lists known problems with the car, which include the gas tank issue. Armed with this, the dealer can't lie to you that there's nothing he can do.
  • cobragtcobragt Posts: 95
    Exactly. Print out all the TSB issues relating to your probles.

There is a TSB for the gas tank, and I've said it 1,000 times, don't let them get away with the "its already the redisigned tank, we can't do anything" trick. Its under warranty, the HAVE to fix it. I suggest you take it to a different dealership.

2nd, there is also a TSB out for the popping noise that you hear. I forget exactly, by I believe it was the bearing or shocks in the front end.

And 3rd, there is also one for the skipping CD player. I believe if you hold in the 3 and 6 buttons at the same time, while on radio, the stereo will do a self test and at the end it will have a bunch of stuff followed by a letter, A or B. I do believe A was the problamatic stereo, and they replace it with model B.
  • riverronriverron Posts: 26
    I bought a 2005 GT in Feb 2005, and had all the listed problems, (gas filling, c/d skipping, front end clunking, etc.) and had them ALL FIXED. I bought the car in California, I live in Arizona, and had all the work done at a dealer in Arizona. All my problems were taken care of with the upmost courtesy and professionalism, that anybody could expect. They scheduled the appointments around my schedule, and would schedule appointments for 2 different problems at one time to minimize time in the shop. ALL OF THIS FROM A DEALER I DIDN'T BUY THE CAR FROM. I suggest you find another dealer to do business with and AFTER your problems are fixed notify "Ford Customer Service" about the first dealer.
  • wdanwdan Posts: 2
    JUST BOUGHT A BEAUTIFUL 06 V6 MANUAL AND HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO DEALERSHIP IN THE MORNING FOR A FORD ENGINEER INSPECTION.....HOPE FOR POSITIVE RESULTS, BUT NOT HOLDING MY BREATH....ALREADY WRITTEN FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND EMAILED THEM....NO RESPONSE YET. I WILL NOT GIVE UP, 26,000 BUCKS FOR A NEW MUSTANG THAT SHIFTS WORSE THAN A MACK TRUCK WITH A MILLION MILES ON IT IS NOT RIGHT.....I HAVE NO PROBLEM UNDERSTANDING WHY FORD IS HAVING FINANCIAL PROBLEMS......
    A little off topic, but you spent $26K on just a V6? You got ripped.
  • wdanwdan Posts: 2
    GEE THANKS COBRAGT, THATS MORE GOOD NEWS........... :sick:
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    The new 2005 & 2006 Mustang V6's and GT's have many problems. The biggest problem being the gas tank issue, the shifting problems and the front end noises and rattles.

I own a 2001 Mustang GT and a 2002 V6 Mustang and I don't have these problems that the new 2005 and 2006 Mustangs have. I am glad that I don't own a 2005 or a 2006 Mustang. I love the Mustang, but it's been almost 2 years now and Ford has not been able to fix the problems with the 2005 & 2006 Mustangs.

I want to buy another Mustang in the future, but I am going to wait until 2009/2010 when the next new body style comes out. I don't like the 2005/2006 Mustang body style. It's too long and very "boring" looking. It's not as agressive looking as my 2001 GT and 2002 Mustangs. Maybe by 2009/2010, Ford will have a better looking design for the Mustang.

I really feel bad for everyone in here who is having so many problems with their new 2005 & 2006 Mustangs. The only thing that I can recommend is for you to get rid of your Mustangs. It's not worth it if you have to go thru hassles to get things fixed on your cars and end up with them still not fixed. I hope that Ford will correct all the problems that the 2005 & 2006 Mustangs are having.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    ....AND YOUR CAPS GOT LOCKED.

Well the 2004 model year seems like a very good year for reliability - I am more prone to look for the last model, though it is the old fox body.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    The 2000 to 2004 year are the BEST YEARS to look at when buying a Mustang. I was seriously considering trading my 2002 V6 Mustang for a brand new 2007 or 2008 Mustang V6 in the next 2 years, but after reading about all the problems with the 2005/2006 Mustangs, I am keeping away from purchasing this current generation Mustang. I am going to wait for the next body style to come out. I also want to wait and see if the new Camaro and Dodge Challenger is going to be built. If the next newer generation 2009/2010 Mustang doesn't look nice, I may purchase a 2009 Camaro or a Dodge Challenger.

But as far as the 200-2004 Mustangs go, they are by far the best design since the 1969-1970 Mustang design. They are also decent in quality if compared to the 2005/2006 Mustang. The 2000-2004 Mustangs have fewer problems and minor problems than the 2005/2006 Mustang. You will be doing yourself a big favor by keeping away from the 2005/2006 Mustang and instead buying yourself a 2000-2004 Mustang with very low miles on it. There are many out there.
    Sry, I didn't mean to sound all rude or mean about it.
    Its your V6 loaded?

As far as the other comments about the 00-04 models. They are far from the most reliable mustang built. Do a search in google and pull up some articles.
    Also, I do not believe that the problems with the 05/06 are with the majority of them. Not to mention, I don't consider the problems such as fuel tank filling, front end noise, etc as major problems. They are all small fixes that can we done relativly quickly.

Not to mention, back on terms of quality...did you know the 05/06 models have 8 knock censors, thats right 8, one per cyclinder. Man if anything goes wrong with the engine, or something ain't quite right, the car will throw out a code before anything serious happens. Ford did their homework with this engine.
    Did you know both the Challenger and the Camaro concept cars are over 79" wide. The Camaro is 79.6" wide. This is wider than a Town Car, and too wide for parking space and narrow streets of my little city in California. The whole car looks bloated. The door sills look higher as the windows shrink. Kinda looks like an army tank.

A smaller Pony car, which is lighter would be a hit. Better on gas and a V6 would be fast enough.

-Loren
    Consumer Reports: Mustang 2004 reliability looks excellent.
    MSN Auto: Reliability excellent.
    JD Powers mechanical looks like an excellent rating as well.

The 2005 is rated lower on JD Powers for mechanical than the 2004.

The 2005 and 2006 overall is a pretty good rating. And I would imagine compared to other Ford and GM cars of the past is pretty darn good for the first year. That said, it looks like some new car issues have come up. Not being able to fill the tank with gas is no small issue. Weird noises can drive one mad, as in crazy. Perhaps the 2007 cars will not have the problems that should have been taken care of last year.

The current and past model Mustang is something I will consider for a next car. Do they match Japan or Korean car reliability, that is another question?

-Loren
  • bmwguy2bmwguy2 Posts: 13
    im sorry to say but a co-worker of mine had a 05 mustang gt ,he is a tech at a bmw dealer,had the car 6 months,had many problems with it,called it a big piece of crap,bought a bmw ,seems like like ford does not stand behind the product and i doubt the fact that they will stand in front of it,contact an attorney ,and go lemon law ,get rid of the sick horse will its alive or you will be regretting it
    I OWN a 05 Mustang GT, obviously you don't. I've owned it since Feb 05. During the first 3 months, I had the gas tank replaced, the c/d player fixed, and the front-end fixed. The car since then has been COMPLETELY trouble free. I've owned 14 Mustangs since 1967, (most of them new), and this is without a doubt the quickest, best handling, most fun Mustang I've had. If your friend workes for BMW why didn't he buy a BMW instead of a Mustang. Maybe because the Mustang was 1/2 the price.
    My girlfriend bought a NEW 2000 328 coupe, and we had things that had to be fixed on that car, (ie c/d player, outside door handles, bad battery that had to be replaced after 3 weeks), but I don't think it is a piece of crap because of those things. It is a fine automobile. I cannot think of any of my Mustangs that didn't have to have something fixed under warrantee.
    Ford does stand behind these cars, maybe a few dealers try to get away without honoring the warrantee, but all you have to do is find another dealer. ALL of my problems were fixed by a dealer that I DID NOT buy the car from, and were taken care of with the upmost courtesy and professionalism.
    If these cars are as bad as you think, why do they hold their value so well? A check of the KBB will show that my GT is worth, (even on a trade-in), every penny I paid for it new. Why are used GT's on dealer lots, still bringing close to their original prices?
    That is COMPLETELY trouble free? Not by Japan standards! Once they get the first and second year bugs out, the car may indeed be close to trouble free.

And no, the car is NOT crap, and I do know of people having no problems. The problems you had on your car however seem to be had by quite a few people. And the JD Powers shows this in comparison to 2004 model year. And once again, no it is not a terrible rating or an awful car. It is pretty solid. Wish they had other coupes too. Maybe the Fairlane 500 RWD coupe would be cool. No not the SUV thing they had a shows - a real Fairlane 500, with an inline 6 and the V8.

Should be interesting to see if the V6 changes in the Stang. My guess is that the 25MPG with an automatic is not going to cut it when gas hits $3.50 a gallon this summer. The 28 MPG with a stick ain't too bad, but I imagine lots of Mustangs have the automatic matched to the V6. Wish they had an inline 6, with gas mileage around 30 MPG. That would make a cool 2007 model.
    -Loren
    Obviously you don't read very well, or you only read what you want... I said ONCE THE PROBLEMS WERE FIXED THE CAR HAS BEEN TROUBLE FREE.
    You may or may not realize that the 2005 Mustang was a near completely NEW car, with a new platform. Nearly all NEW models in any car line will have "teething problems", and why are we talking about Japan or Korean cars, this is a Mustang forum.
    By the way, what is it YOU drine??????
    Opps, didn't spell ckeck it,
    What is it YOU drive???????
    I have a PT. I do have the ability to read and comprehend, thank you. Perhaps, it is you having misread my point? A
    car is trouble free, if it doesn't have troubles to begin with.

I have owned the '65 year Mustang, as well as, the '85 model year. Maybe consider the '04 used, or perhaps the '07, while now shying away from the current year due to teething problems, as you put it.

I have owned lots of different makes. The Ford Mustang ranks somewhere in the middle for reliability, of those I have owned.
    -Loren
This discussion has been closed.