Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• stacyjstacyj Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 V6 automatic that I bought in June. I love this car!!! :) But right now the big thing is this buzz/rattle in the dashboard. The noise seems to only happen when I stop. When I took it on in October, they decided that it was two different sounds 1 buzz, and 1 rattle. They decided the buzz was the AC lines by the firewall and the rattle was in the driver’s side door. They ordered some felt, and last Friday all the parts were in and they took 2 days to install the felt and some window parts (another issue). When I went to pick it up someone in the shop had dropped something on my baby and deeply scratched it down to the body. I have never been so mad. :mad: And then the first stop sign I came to the noise stated again. So I finally had enough and started to do so research on my own, since apparently they are too stupid to do it. I found this TSB on www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov:

SERVICE BULLETIN NUM: 18453
    NHTSA ITEM NUMBER: 10014647
    COMPONENT: POWER TRAN: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    SUMMARY: BUZZ RATTLE NOISE FROM TRANSMISSION BELL HOUSING AREA. *EH

But unfortunately the Service Manager at the dealership can't find that TSB. And I can't find a way to get the details with paying a bunch of money. Does anyone have a way to get the details of this service request? My car is again at Ford this morning they will be painting the side and trying to find the rattle again. Thanks for your help.

Stacy
  • heartbrokenheartbroken Member Posts: 2
    I got my 05 Auto GT for Christmas in 04. I am so glad to find this forum and learn that I'm not the only one having these problems. I have had the popping sound in the steering, gas tank issues, radio issues, my drivers side door handle broke, my windows drop down in the door, the transmission acts crazy, there seems to be a problem with the gas flow in acceleration, 2 different power steering parts have broke... well thats all I can think of right now, but you get the picture. My frustration level has gone through the roof, and Ford Motor Company is no help at all. I have learned that I'm going to have to go through the state (lemon law) to get out of my car. I love the car (believe it or not) it is soooo much fun to drive but cost to much to just let all of this slide. If any one knows anything about Lemon Law and if it actually works for the consumer let me know. I'm starting to wonder if consumers really have any rights at all once you pull off the lot with a car. heartbroken :(
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    There is a common rattle that comes from a bracket of some sort behind the passenger airbag. That may be the source of the rattle.

Too bad about the careless person dropping something on your car. :cry:
  • mustangdreamermustangdreamer Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Mustang GT, absolutely love the car and have had zero problems with it. I've noticed lately that when I start the car after its been sitting for 2 or 3 days, gray/white smoke comes out of the exhaust pipes. It doesn't look like normal exhaust to me. Its very noticeable and its not condensation. It only does this when it hasn't been started in a few days, it doesn't smoke any other time (normal driving). The car has 9000 miles on it and I've had the oil changed twice so far, using synthetic oil. Has anyone else noticed this with their Mustang? Should I be concerned about a possible problem with the seals?
    Yes.

Also, do you do very short drives often or start it up just to move it a few feet then shut it back down? That could also be culprit.
  • rspencer3rspencer3 Member Posts: 4
    My mustang was made on April 04, 2005 (Monday) and it arrived on 22 April, 2005. The car ran fine with no noticeable problems until October. The first noticeable problem was a message on the display terminal "DATA DATE FUEL ERR" and the gas gauge went immediately to empty even though the tank was full. I took the mustang into the dealer and was advised that they would have to order in a new fuel sensor and when the car came in for repair the fuel tank would have to be dropped and re installed. So I no sooner get the mustang out of the shop and go to fill up when I notice that the gas gauge is showing only half a tank. So I shut the mustang off and re started and the gas gauge went back up to full. This has happened a few times since I got the mustang out of the shop.

Problem #2 which you might fine a little more intriguing is the fact that the mustang would jump into neutral for a second on take off then bump into gear even though the automatic shifter was in drive. This happened a few times between October 30 & 03 November. So I took the mustang back to the dealer service department for examination, the tech told me that there was so much metal in the bottom of the transmission pan that he thought he had found a new silver/metal mine. It appears the culprit is a faulty transmission pump. :confuse: The dealership got the o.k. from Ford to replace the whole transmission. The problem with the replacement is that it takes seven (7) clear working days for the new transmission to be shipped from Flat Rock, Michigan to Bramalea, Ontario and another few days to be shipped out west to Edmonton, Alberta. So I will most likely be without the mustang until 18th November. Geez think Ford will make my car payment this month for all the inconvenience? (ha!) :sick: At the moment I am driving a rented Budget Malibu. Question - Have You Driven A Ford Lately?
  • tek1tek1 Member Posts: 1
    I've got the same loud and annoying bug.... I too love my GT. It is tight and everything about it feels like it's a quality-built ride, except for the FJKDD!! dash noise. The squeaking (2 separate noises) is on the passenger side of the dash, and seems like its originating somewhere in the front airbag compartment. Hope someone has a solution...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Member Posts: 27
    Its a Ford.

Before I continue, I must admit that I am deciding between a Mustang GT Convertible or a 325i.

I owned a 1995 Mustang GTS 5MT 5.0. Great concept, but so-so execution. The car was fun to drive with lots of grunt, but the engine pinging and the outside mirror falling off, etc kind of killed the experience.

Ford never could fix the engine.

We have 2 new 2006 cars and through all of our test driving the worst problem we've experienced in a car was an unbalanced wheel. That was until we got in a Mustang. In the Mustang the carpet was pulled out from the door sill exposing wires. Not a big deal but just a typical example of an American car.
    Spamming the boards, eh?

Outside of seats and a steering wheel, the 325i and Mustang GT convertible have very little in common other than handling and the Mustang GT would more than likely kill a 325i in that department. Power and acceleration is not even close. The 325i doesn't stand a chance.

But based on the spam you put on the other thread, just get the 325i and be happy. People buying Mustang GTs aren't too concerned about the lack of seat heaters. Some of us would like to see satellite radio, but it's certainly not a deal breaker and probably will be available as a factory option for the Spring edition '06 model or the '07 model.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Member Posts: 27
    I certainly was not spamming. I seperated the posts by relevant content.

The problems people have expressed about quality and maintenance issues are textbook Ford. Go back ten years and you'll see the same types of posts. I simply related my experience with an older Mustang and also my experience when test driving a 2006.

Just something you accept when getting 300 hp at this price point.

Does that make the Mustang a bad car? Certainly not. Even with its faults it has made it to my short list.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Out on the road, my GT leaves Beamers in the dust, especially the yokels in their little Beamer roadsters. Ha, ha, yuppies, enjoy your seat warmers and satellite radios. I'd rather have torque.

(I wouldn't complain if Ford had OnStar, however: best antitheft device around.)

Anybody got any recommendations for radar detectors?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Sounds like you've talked yourself out of the Mustang. It will be much easier to get the BMW, though.

Believe me, you don't want to be shelling out the money the BMW will cost after the warranty period is up. I've owned a couple of them and they aren't cheap to maintain after the warranty period.

I wouldn't worry in the least about piling up 100+k miles on the Mustang with little more than routine maintenance (and the relatively cheap Ford maintenance costs).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Radar detectors?

Had A Valentine 1. Falsed incessantly. Sold it and got a Passport 8500 X50. Great units.
  • jc_05gtjc_05gt Member Posts: 13
    I just got back from the dealer. They replaced the gas tank so hopefully that issue is gone. I also bitched about the noisy dash and they said they would look at it. Just as I expected they came back and said they could not duplicate it. I insisted that the service manage go for a ride with me and after a couple minutes he was in agreement that the dash was excessively noisy when going over bumps. He said he saw going to test drive a new one from the lot and see if it was just a function of the design (or lack of function) or if my car was truly messed up. Anyway I doubt they will be able to fix it but at least I got them looking at it!!
  • shanlunashanluna Member Posts: 3
    I got my 2005 convertible Mustang in June of this year. It barely has 10000 miles on it. I noticed that the (auto) transmission seems to slip around 20 to 25 mph and then 35 to 40 mph. I was finally told today, after they had the car for 6 days that I have metal in my transmission and they have to take the transmission out. I will find out tomorrow whether they plan on repairing it or replacing it.

Since having the problems, I contacted two attorneys regarding the LEMON LAW. Here is what they both told me:

In order to file for the Lemon Law the dealer you have to have the same problem with the car 3 times. After the third time if it is not fixed you can then file. The tricky thing is that dealers know the 3 time rule. So when you bring it in, they will write it up differently, maybe one time transmission, the next a missing sensor. So you have to be very careful before signing any of the paperwork.

The other way that you can file is if the car has been in the shop for more than 30 days. (calender days, doesn't have to be consecutive). However, once you file, the dealer has a final shot at repair and they know that. More than likely they will do what they have to do to repair it and you won't win the suit.

Just be diligent, watch how they write up the order and the repair and contact an attorney.

If I don't get my lemon law'ed, I will be getting rid of it. Transmission issues are more than I am willing to deal with from a 2005 car.

Oh and when I took my Mustang in, they told me "maybe you just drove it too fast". :confuse:
  • shanlunashanluna Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem with the transmission of my 2005 Mustang.

After 6 days in the shop, they finally told me today that I had metal in my transmission. I don't even know what that means or how it gets in there! I will find out tomorrow how they go on repairing it. I figure it must be bad because after 2 hours of fighting they finally authorized a loaner for a whole 3 days.

Please let me know how the car drives once you get it back.
  • rockslinger23rockslinger23 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, since we can't get any straight answers out of the dealership, i was wondering if anyone is having the same problems we are with our 2005 mustang coupe. We bought it about 2 months ago and about 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on and the gas hand was flip-flopping between full and empty and the gas light was on. We know the car wasn't empty cause we had just come from the gas station lol We called the dealership and they said as long as the engine light was solid and not blinking that it was ok to drive. Yesterday we took it back to the dealership and they put it on the computer and it came up that the problem was the gas! We live in canada and ford said that canadian gas has too much sulfer in it and that we have to use chevron gas. problem is chevron is an american company and we do not get it here. It makes no since to me cause all but one model of ford vehicle is built in the united state, so if this were true wouldn't it affect all models of ford? And as of this morning the engine light began to blink!! It breaks my heart to say it, but i think we got a lemon! Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Sounds like you guys got some of those "increased production" cars. When you start over-working the guys on the assembly line, defects are bound to happen. :sick:
    First, I'd get a second opinion, in writing, someone to go through the car tip-to-toe.

Second, I'd bring a lawyer with me to the dealer, in person, with above documentation in hand.
  • bottombottom Member Posts: 1
    Hi, well i cannot fix your problems but i might be able to help on finding what parts you need and posting them to you, i am a brit living in America and have just purchased a 06 mustang from a Ford main dealer round the corner from where i live, and they seem a friendly lot..........and maybe you could return the favour if i bring the car ba.ck to England. Regards Paul.
  • tarbaby42tarbaby42 Member Posts: 1
    I have already had my Mustang in for the squealing brakes. Dealer tried to tell me it was normal, but replaced the pads anyways. Brakes still squeal. It's very difficult to refuel. Shuts off every few seconds. The last 2 mornings I have not been able to drive it. It has been around 20 degrees. The emergency brake won't release, so I can't move the vehicle. By evening when I get home from work it will release. Anybody have this problem?
    Sounds like you're getting moisture in the cable line and it's freezing overnight. There's some stuff you can buy to spray in the line, but I can't remember what it is right now.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I have encountered the same fuel error, which started right after my trying to refill this damn car. I am already on my second tank when this past Saturday, it acted up again, it would shut off every few seconds and when I perservered, it barfed fuel out. I finally filled the car and then the gauge, all of a sudden when to empty with that error "Data Date Fuel Error."

Now my Check Engine Light is on. :mad:

I still have the rattle in the dash, passenger side. I thought they fixed it but with the cold weather, it is back.

My seats squeaks incessantly with ever release of the clutch in 1st gear, like Grandma's rocking chair. It will squeak as the weight shifts when I slow down as well.

My Mustang is starting to annoy me. I am starting to have a tinge of regret. After a wheel balance issue that wasn't the car's fault basically ruined my entire summer, now this. I am mature enough to accept what is the car's fault and what is the dealer's fault. I have no confidence in the foreman at my dealership.

My trip computer will reset on its own. My stereo acts funny and will change discs when I start it up, or go to the first song of the CD. Stupid stuff, but they all add up into a frustrating experience.

I do not accept this as a Ford fault. My 99 GT was perfect. My 98 Contour was excellent. My 2002 Explorer EB is by far the nest built vehicle I have ever driven (materials notwithstanding). I expected this new Mustang to be better.
  • justme_jewelsjustme_jewels Member Posts: 2
    The dealership thinks Ford should Lemon my 05 Mustang. it has had so many problems, but the biggest is the fill up problem. I lived with it for months, at least until I almost ran out of gas on a trip through MS and couldn't find a station that would work, not at 3 exits...

I love my car and am just sick.. I talked to Ford and they were like Live with it... What do I do now???
    Call a lawyer. Get a refund. If still stuck on the car (and I can't blame you), take your chances and buy another new one.
    I got the mustang back on Monday, 14 November after a 13 day haitus in the Ford Service Bay. Now that the transmission has been replaced the mustang appears to being running fine ( until at least the next 13,000 miles).

The check engine light is still on. The dealer has ordered another sensor to replace the sensor that was installed under warranty three weeks ago. I am hoping I do not have a lemon...I can handle a lime but not a lemon!

By the way just so you are all aware if you post any of these articles on actual mustang sites you will get a negative response from die-hard mustang owners. Some people cannot accept the truth regarding the 2005 mustang problems. :shades:
    I agree. Ditch that one and get another one.
    By the way just so you are all aware if you post any of these articles on actual mustang sites you will get a negative response from die-hard mustang owners. Some people cannot accept the truth regarding the 2005 mustang problems.

It all depends on how you say it. If you go there moaning and groaning and generalizing that ALL Mustangs are crap just because YOU'RE having problems, of course you're going to be met with angry responses.
    Taylord,

I never stated ALL Mustangs were crap. I went on one site to explain the problem with the current mustang that I own to simply explain what FORD'S response is if 2005 Mustang owners have a problem. Instead of being met with a reasonable response I was only met by flak. By the way I have had three mustangs and seven other Ford vehicles this is the only Ford product that :blush: I have had problems with. For me to make such comments is absurd.

You will also note that there are #691 mustang owners in the "You're" category that are having problems with the current mustang at the Inside Line.
    You will also note that there are #691 mustang owners in the "You're" category that are having problems with the current mustang at the Inside Line.

Think about that for a minute. This should be number 692. Does that mean I'm number 692 AND 690?? Those numbers are the POST COUNTS, not how many problems there are.

Reality check.
    I would suggest you go back to the first post and read them all. Some are responses to problems, many are actual problems though.

Reality check! Oops were is my number counter when I need it?
    I've been here since the beginning. There are NOT 691 people with issues. There MIGHT be 20 or 30. How's about you read from the beginning and pay attention next time. When/If you do that, you will notice that the biggest issue is the gas tank problem. The next is a common rattle behind the passenger airbag. Everything else is just people complaining about nothing. More recently there have been 2 people with automatic transmission problems and I believe there were 2 or 3 people with rearend failures. A far cry from 691 people with issues, wouldn't you agree?

Oh yeah, there have been some complaints about the Shaker stereo skipping on discs, but I group that in with complaining about nothing. It happens so seldom that it isn't worth mentioning and, in fact, a lot of the folks with the problem haven't even bothered to get it fixed. Some of the people that did get it "fixed" ended up with the backlighting no longer working because the new unit wasn't programmed properly. So they basically made their own problem worse.

There, I've brought you up to speed. Does that seem like 691 people with problems to you? :confuse: How about click over to the regular board and see how many people are absolutely thrilled with their Mustangs.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Some are responses to problems, many are actual problems though."

True.

But you insinuated (or was just being cute) that since there was 691 posts (or whatever the number was), there was 691 different folks with problems.

Ah.....no. Not even close. And I can assure you that he HAS read all those posts, as have I, over the last year.

Personally, I would be surprised if there were more than 100 different individuals represented in this forum with problems with their Mustangs. Actually, make that 50.

What usually happens is this: a person logs on and reports a problem. They may or may not also detail the issues they are having with their service department. Usually, anywhere from 2-5 folks chime in with either helpful advice or to throw in their own opinions about how crappy the Mustang is in particular or Ford is in general. Sometimes, a GM fan (or other) will step in to stir the pot for a few posts and then leave. Sometimes the original poster logs back in and reports 2-3-4 times about the progress (or non-progress) in resolving the issues they are having. Sometimes there are little back-and-forths just like this one where someone points to the number of posts as some sort of 'proof' about how rotten the Mustang is or how many folks are having problems.

So, Reality Check #3 - equating the number of posts with the number of problems is faulty logic.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

I hope this doesn't mean there are now 696 folks here in the Inside Line with problems with their Mustangs......
  • jc_05gtjc_05gt Member Posts: 13
    Well after 10 months and many trips to the dealer I think I finally have the car I thought I bought originally. I was real happy with the last visit to the dealer for the gas tank replacement and they even fixed my noisy rattle in the dash. They offered me a loaner, Fixed it in two days and definitely acted as if my business counted. I think the negative feedback really hurts the dealer as every visit I've had has gotten a follow up call for satisfaction and a survey mailer. Ford know's you're not gonna buy another car from them if you had a nightmare getting service.
    No harm done, rorr. ;)
    What? Can't criticize a car? Can't complain about problems? What kind of world is this?

I love my Mustang, but find it very useful to read about others' problems with the car -- and the fact that multiple people have had the same problems (gas tank, transmission, and dashboard rattle) indicates some real issues. If my car ever develops any of these problems, I can go to the dealer with the knowledge that it's a design or production flaw, not just a fluke with my car only. Armed with these facts, I'll be able to stand up to the usual dealer evasive tactics.

We live in a real world, things go wrong. The people at Ford should be reading this forum and improving their product.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No reasonable person here objects to others posting problems and seeking solutions. The problems start when some folks post who don't even OWN the car in question, or when the person who is having problems starts taking on a Holy War against the manufacturer and is seeking recruits for some kind of apocalyptic revenge.

It's much better for a forum when people work together to help each other out of a jam on a personal level rather than try and punish the Ford Motor Company.
    "The problems start when some folks post who don't even OWN the car in question..."

uh oh...... :blush:

...does this mean I can't kibitz anymore?
    No, you're fine. I was referring to the "smash and run" type of poster and the chronic "brand-basher". You all know the types.

Any good advice is always welcome...I even try to jump in myself now and then ("a closed mouth gathers no feet").
    taking on a Holy War against the manufacturer and is seeking recruits for some kind of apocalyptic revenge.

Damn...Shifty....that's good prose..... :shades:
    too much coffee this morning :P
  • kdd66kdd66 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 06 GT 3 weeks ago. It has 900 miles on it and I am already experiencing the gas tank issue. I took it to the dealer today to have them look at it. They said that my mustang was built after such and such date and that all mustangs built after that date had a new gas tank that didn't have the "fill" issue. So I let them keep it and they worked with ford engineering to fill up the tank with sensors to determine any 'voltage' problems. Of course, they couldn't recreate the problem and suggested that next time I fill it more slowly.

This is so frustrating. This is the 10th car I have bought in my lifetime and only the second American car. I never experienced any problems with the toyotas or hondas I purchased. If Ford and GM want to know why they are near bankruptcy they just need to look at their quality and service strategies.
  • bluegtbluegt Member Posts: 3
    I have a 05 GT rag-top with the manual transmission. So far (5000km) I have encountered the rattling dash and the gas tank problem (only once though). But what I am wondering is if anyone has noticed that the passenger seat (leather) seems to have less padding than the driver side. I find the driver's side to be very comfortable, in fact I found the ergonomics to be much better than I remembered from the test drive. However, I find the passenger side very hard and uncomfortable. Could it be because there are less adjustments available the passenger ends up with an awkward weight distribution or a funny posture?
    Could be the difference in adjustments on the passenger seat. More likely, it's stiffer because no one rides in the passenger seat as often as the driver's seat gets used.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    dang, i'd like to suggest he drinks more coffee...i agree, that's some good stuff he's keying in when he's keyed up.
  • jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    Hey everyone,
    I'll most likely be getting an '06 V-6 convertible this weekend. I'd definitely like to hear of any trouble anyone might be having if they happen to own one or an '06 GT for that matter. It'd really help. Thanks!
    I've noticed the same thing. The driver's seat is definitely different and of higher quality than the passenger's seat. This seems to be one of those areas that Ford skimped on to make the car cheaper, to reach a lower price point.

I, for one, have had no problems with the gas tank, transmission, or dashboard. My car, a GT Premium coupe manufactured in early July, has about 1100 mi. When I first bought it the engine light went on and the car went into safe mode. The dealer fixed it right away (a loose sensor). The only problem I've had is that the seat release button on the back of the passenger's seat comes off and the frame for it is loose. I haven't had the time to get it fixed yet. It remains to be seen if it will be fixed properly.

I got a questionnaire from Ford asking me about my buying experience. I rated the dealer very low because the car wasn't clean inside or out when they sold it, there weren't enough holes drilled for the license plate, in front the holes were too small, and they obviously didn't check the car very thoroughly, given the fact that the engine light went on within the first 4 miles. I've been toying with the idea of getting a GT500, but will simply not buy another car from the same dealer, especially one requiring a complicated special order of a high-end vehicle.
  • harleygirl1harleygirl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 06 Mustang with the new Pony package on it for 4 weeks and I have had an awful time getting gas in it. They have even went to far to replace the gas tank thinking that that would help, but it takes approximately 15-25 minutes to get a full tank of gas. You would not believe what the dealership has told me, plus when I called customer service at Ford, they said they researched it and they do not find that there is a problem. They cannot tell me this because of all of the people having problems. I do no know of another couple that got a 06 GT and they had there gas tank removed 1 week after they got it and it has not helped. It does not matter what gas station you go to. I really do not think that it is the tank, maybe the neck going to the tank. This is the first Ford I have owned and it may be the last.
  • harleygirl1harleygirl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 06 mustang with the new pony package for approximately 4 weeks. Good luck with getting gas in the car. Hopefully you will allow some time with it, because it takes approximately 15-25 minutes to get a full tank of gas. It keeps shutting off and gas comes out at you. Just stay clear from it when you do get gas. By the way they have installed a new gas tank and it does not help. Also a friend has a new gas tank in his 06GT 1 week after he received it and it did not help either

Also I have a noise in the rear end. The dealership states that it is the suspension, but I do not believe it. It will be going to another dealer for a second opinion
This discussion has been closed.