Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    forgot to mention i have 3.73 rear end. i had a 4.10 rear end in a chevy and mpg really sucked.
  • dillondawgdillondawg Member Posts: 18
    Mine is a dually and I'm a pretty conservative driver. Open road with cruise control @ 65 nets about 21.5 MPG. General driving about 16 MPG. Truck weighs 7330 with me and a full tank of fuel on board. Engine is the 24 valve version of the Cummins.

Will
  • lss2lss2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 with the 4.7 with 70,000 miles and my first full tank of gas was spent on city driving only and it was 8.2 mpg! I am a very conservative driver, always watching the mpg readout. What can I do? I burned 87 octane and will try premium next time, but if it doesn’t improve it going up for sale. $63.10 for 173 miles, come on.

Other than that I LOVE THIS TRUCK!
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    lss2

How is the Ram equipped? 2 door, 4 door, AT, 2 or 4wd, etc.? Is it a 1500, 2500,3500 series? Are you hauling or towing with it daily? How much weight?

What type vehicle, engine size, tranny, and so forth did you drive under the same conditions before the 03 Ram? What kind of mileage did it get with all city driving?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • badd63badd63 Member Posts: 2
    I posted earlier about milage dropping from 14 to 9 after the dealer worked on the truck. wvchaddox asked if the dealer perhaps turned off MDS--From what I read, MDS wasn't available until 2006, so I don't think mine was equipped (though I did buy it while the 06s were already out).

Modification Update:
    After the K&N, I saw ~0.5mpg increase. After using the Hypertech max energy, I can see and additional ~1.5mpg increase.

I say "can" because it appears to be much more sensitive--which makes sense. If we attempt to drive as conservative as possible, we get a definite improvement over stock, but drive slightly more aggressive, and there isn't any difference from what stock would do--indicating that the fuel maps were probably designed to increase power when needed, then save energy when not needed.

So, it's improving, but still doesn't fix that step change after the dealer worked on the engine/computer. I think my next step will be the o2 sensor. Any other ideas?Thanks,
    Ron
  • lss2lss2 Member Posts: 2
    Kip,

It is a Ram 1500, 2 wd, 4 doors with the SLT trim and the 4.7. I’m not towing or hauling anything. It’s just me riding to the shop and then around town doing errands and I weigh 150lbs.

Before the Ram I had a 96 F-150 6 cylinder and I would get around 15 - 17 city. On my way home from the dealer I was getting 18 – 19 on the highway running 65 – 70 in the Ram.

I’m driving like my Grandpa and can’t break the 9.0 level.

Thanks,
    lss
    The 03 Ram 4 door will be a bit heavier than the Ford, and the 4.7 will tend to burn a bit more gas than the 6 cyl Ford did. However, to be getting only HALF the mileage under similar "CITY" conditions spells something wrong with the Ram or the way it is driven. Strange that your highway mileage seems to bee pretty much on target.

Try a super light throttle on those moving away from stops and try coasting to the stops while using as little brake as possible.

If that doesn't help, maybe the dealer can find a reason.

Kip
  • papertapepapertape Member Posts: 1
    Broke something. There are some that will do it deliberately just to generate repeat business. However, most often it is inadvertent. Easy to break a coil wire or crack a vacuum line when just moving it to access something behind it.
    Or even a fuel line. I have fuel economy problems that were as simple as a fuel leak. If you can smell gas, you have a leak. I could write a story about how hard they can be to find.
    Or forget to connect - or properly reconnect - some sensor wiring. If is is connected to the wrong place, tracing it out against the factory manual may be required. Or maybe knock something loose accidently. I know - have done it to myself more than once. A USAF electronics tech I worked with many years ago used to say, "Just look where the last GI screwed up." Or something like that. :-)
    He fixed a lot a problems.
    Rule #1 for trouble shooting - Make a GOOD inspection. This includes GENTLY tugging on connections in addition to visual. Key word is gently. Too much enthusiasm and you will generate way more problems that you fix.

I understand that many new computer control modules need to be re programed in the field. If the wrong firmware was loaded, it could possible the computer thinks you have a 6 cylinder. If no firmware was field loaded, it is likely running factory test software. Find out what version(s) of firmware should be loaded, than have a shop (different shop, of course) read the software load version for you. Compare the two yourself.
    If you just ask, "Do I have firmware load XYZ?" a lot of people will say, "Yup" because they have no clue how to read it out or just don't want to bother..

Also, some of the toughest problems I have encountered have multiple causes for the same symptom(s). Don't stop your inspection just because you find something. Check everything - twice!

Rule#2 check power. If the first computer was diagnosed as bad, it may have been operating incorrectly because it had bad power. I have fixed a lot of electrical problems over 50+ years by merely cleaning the battery connection. A shop can not charge enough to afford to stay in business cleaning connections, so they sell you a battery or computer. I would replace the battery cables with the best quality ones I could find before I spent anymore on aftermarket fuel economy upgrades.

Hope this helps.
  • truckie4lifetruckie4life Member Posts: 56
    I was looking at buying a 4WD Ram 2500 with the Cummins V6. What is everyone getting for mpg?
  • 98ddgram150098ddgram1500 Member Posts: 16
    1998 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L Auto
    Stock gearing.
    I get 10.9 City using 87 octane. No mods to the engine with 265/75/16 tires.
    I never drive on the highway since my work commute is 10 miles from my house. We got some snow the other day and driving with 4x4 100% of the distance to where I was going only affected the overall MPG by .2MPG. But that might be due to driving slower and with caution. I love the truck aside from its DodgeISMs. Bad steering and bad transmission (knock on wood my tranny is still working fine). I am going to get a DSS steering kit to fix the trackbar issue. See this site: http://www.solidsteel.biz/tbk.htm
    ;)
  • madjack00madjack00 Member Posts: 2
    I am in denver and have an 03 5.9 2dr short bed automatic 2whl dr. I use 85 octane and get a consistent 14mpg city. I found my 5.9 runs best on bosch platinum 4 plugs. I have gone to a K&N filter and use mobile 1 full synthetic oil. I feel it does well considering the altitude.
    Wow, thats fantastic. You have the stock sized tires? Asking because maybe your speedo is off and might be the reason for getting such good city MPG. the K&N doesn't do anything unless you are WOT, also heard that the oil based filters are bad for the O2 sensor over a period of time.
    I get 10.9MPG (city) with my 98 RAM 1500 5.9 automatic 4x4 Quad Cab (245/75/16) with a bed cover. No other mods to the engine.

I will have to try those plugs on its soon to happen tune up.
    I use hard numbers as you call it.
    Correction to my last message. I get 10.5MPG with the tonneau and 10.9MPG without it.
    The "Saves Gas" is a sales pitch with tonneau covers, and its false. Its been proven by mythbusters TWICE that they DO NOT help your MPG, they actually make it worse. The best way to go was the mesh airgate thing, but its too tacky to use, then second best was with the tailgate UP.
    the Tonneaus and the tailgate down or off were the worst ways, so put those gates back up. I use the Tonneau because of the New England snow/rain, but roll it up otherwise.
  • wa4kowa4ko Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2008 Dodge Cummings 3500 after having four of these trucks before. The MPG is very poor compared with prior trucks, lost over 4 MPG both regular and towing. Bought a Super Chip and found that even the one
    made for the 2008 Dodge the #3808 will not tune the truck, they still do not have the right codes to do the job so I returned it. If anyone has had any luck with a computer tuner that works let me know.
    Thanks Larry
  • 949racing949racing Member Posts: 1
    About 3500 miles on it, running Amsoil DEO 5W40 synthetic, 60psi F&R. Utterly stock SLT Bighorn otherwise. Sea level, 55-75* ambient, empty:

20.9 H/C ( hand calculated) @ 74mph. O/H (overhead) displays 23mpg.
    22.2 @ 70mph

18.2mpg towing 4500# flat car hauler over two 6000' passes from Vegas to LA at about 68mph

A few observations:

Tried a set of high quality 285/70/17 10 ply highway tires an mileage plummeted to about 17.5 @ 70mph. Saved the 265/70/17 10 ply Michelin's that it came with, put them back on and mileage jumped back to low 20's. Amsoil was worth about .8mpg and a little better turbo response at small throttle openings.

Mileage nose dives abruptly past 75mph. The 6 speed manual would probably allow me to cruise with LA traffic and not get MPG penalized so much.

Tailgate removed makes no difference at any speed.

Driving un-smoothly and accelerating in traffic off crusie control doesn't hurt mileage nearly as much as even the tinest hill. That's a lot of power to accelerate it but a bunch of weight to push up a hill.

Test drove the 6.7 CTD with same equipment and mileage was nowhere near as good, struggling top get into the 20's at even 65mph. I like the equipment and trans in the newer 6.7 but couldn't accept the mileage difference.

Wish it was quieter cruising and had a 6 speed auto, otherwise this thing is an utter gem.
    Great detail in your post. My 98 RAM is using the optional sized tires of 265/75/16, I wanted to get the stock sized 245/75/16 to help in MPG, sounds like doing so will certainly help. I am a 90%+ back road driver since i don't commute to work, so I can't get any highway MPG to help the overall average.

I am glad you tired the tailgate, you need to see episode 43 and 64 of Mythbusters. Here is a quote from episode 64 "Tailgate Up or Down Revisited: in addition to tailgate up/down, also tested hardcover over pickup bed, tailgate removed, and tailgate mesh. Tailgate mesh was most efficient by 5%. busted "

With my tonneau I lose 0.5MPH city. I use it primarily in the winter to prevent the bed from filling up with all that New England Snow...
  • ramrod2ramrod2 Member Posts: 6
    Concerning fuel mileage: I own a 2006 with 5.7ltr and mds. The only modifications are nitrogen filled tires (35PPI) and synthetic oil, With cruise set at 70 mph I can regularly get well over 21 miles per gallon (latest trip from Ringgold to Kingsland Ga was 21.9) City not much better than advertized (l6.1)
    I've also found that although Dodge recommends 89 octane for the HEMI, better milage can be obtained from 87 octane.
    Next trip I"ll set the cruise to 65 mph (my Dodge book says MDS works ONLY up to 65 mph! So far, nobody can verify that.
    Dodge also says that the 2009 model extends the speed limit for the same engine and MDS to 70 mph. Kind of makes one wonder, huh?
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Hi Dodge Forum,

Just picked up a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3 months ago. Have been getting about 15 MPG both City and Highway combined. Truck is less than 3 months old, not sure if it gets better once broken or not. I have a few quesitons for you experienced Ram owners:

1. Just wondering what Nitrogen filled tires do?

2. Where can i find a good "larger" aftermarket drivers seat or an OEM seat from a 2500/3500 model Ram? The one in my 1500 is too narrow to be comfortable, the seats in the larger Rams are bigger and more comfortable but Dodge says they can't order me a full seat!!!

3. On that gas mileage issue, the manual says to use 89 octane. That said, try to follow my logic and see if this makes sense: 87 octane gas is $3.00 per gallon & 89 octane is $3.10 per gallon so on a 25 gallon fill up, I would spend $2.50 more per fill up with 89 than with 87. If I get 1 more mile per gallon with 89 but am spending $2.50 more per fill up, thats the same as getting 1 less MPG with 87 therefore equaling the same dollar amount per fill up. Is this logic correct? If so, seems like a wash to me and I would be spending the same amount what ever gas I choose, 87 or 89 octane?? Am I thinking correctly here or did I smell too many gas fumes while filling up today? Is 87 bad for the HEMI engine or why is the reason Dodge recommends 89? Oh by the way, a fill up toda was $73.05 with 89 octane. :(

Thanks to all who respond.

p.s. LOVE my 2007 RAM but has anyone see the new 2009 Ram on Youtube?

This video and new 09 RAM rock!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=beoKW6ya1gw&feature=related

Ski in TX
    2009 1500 is AWESOME! I'll be another year older by the time they come out; so you think 68 is a little old to be so enthused by a truck?
    Na dude! Age is realitive. You can be young (or old) at 68, 88 or 18. Its all a state of mind. Don't give up until the wheels fall off. No matter what age you are. I may be first in line to trade in my 07 for an 09. I LOVE Dodge! Rock on brother! Ski in TX
    Actually, if you believe the hype, nitrogen does little but prolong the life of the rubber, and less loss or gain in tire pressure while driving or in drastie weaher conditions.
    While in the military, we used nitrogen to fill engine containers before air lifting to whereever.
    Speaking of loyalty, I've owned Dodge trucks since 1988 (they were twins to the Mitsubichi back then). I honestly can tell you that I can count the major poblems I've had on one hand!
  • noahzihnnoahzihn Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 2 hemi's. Many of you may ask why 2? I suer am. I bought them because they are the only truck that you can buy new for 23k for a quad cab 4x4 in a 3/4 ton at season end sale. I am done though. The economy sucks! Yeah, they haul a bunch. I do not see how you get 14 in city. 19-20 Hwy? I get 10.8! Maybe downhill coasting and off! I have read these forms now for days looking for a solution to these gas hogs. I have concluded to go diesel. Biodiesel is becoming more available. I cannot face the fact that I am using this much fuel! People, economy has not changed in ... a century! The first vehicles averaged not much worse than this. DONE
  • gpinogpino Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 hemi 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with 20" tires, in the high way gave me 16 MPG, in town gave me 13.5 MPG....I lift my truck 6" and went with 35" tires now and 20" wheels, Ohhh!!! my baby looks awesome, but im paying the price of beauty, the gas millage now is in high way 12.6 MPG and in town 11.0 MPG. I pay a coin more for premium but Fuel efficiency is better. :shades:
    I upgrade my truck with a 6" suspension lift and 35" tires in 20" wheels, I add air intake and programed the computer for better fuel milage,; Want to find out if there's anybody who has the same type of truck and upgrades to compare the gas milage with mine and if you know what can be done to help with the performance and gas milage.?? "12.6 MPG in highway and 11.0 MPG or sometimes less in town". :surprise:
    Well!!!!, Will give you more horse power.
    usually a performance chip (don't get the JET performance chips). I belong to dodge forum dot com and you should go there and do a search in the 3rd gen section.
    Most mods, such as CAI, chip, and exhaust mods tend to do very little considering the cost you must put in to the truck.

Lifts, and oversized tires are bigggggg killers of MPG. stock tires, no lift, and a light foot is the only way. Going with higher octane has been proven to NOT improve mileage. Also, when you get a chip, it advances the timing and you will HAVE to use higher octane fuel.

going with higher octane is only needed to cure engine knock, due to advanced timing or other issues.

good luck.
    Did you upgrade the speedometer/odometer to reflect the larger diameter tires?

If not, you are traveling farther and faster than the speedometer/odometer are showing!

Kip
    It really matters on your foot!!! My hemi gives me 11.3 MPG in town on normal driving but when i played with the gas pedal it can droped to 9.8 MPG. :cry:
    It really matters on your foot!!! My hemi gives me 11.3 MPG in town on normal driving but when i played with the gas pedal it can droped to 9.8 MPG. :cry:
    I tryied to do it with the hipertech programer but doesn't give the option to do it, I know im 4 miles off from regular tires.
    I got told that there was no chip for the 2004 1500 Hemi. What do you know about this??
  • rammit19rammit19 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1994 dodge ram 1500 regular cab, long bed 5.2L 2wd and was wondering what kind of real world gas mileage i am getting
  • ctoutdoorsctoutdoors Member Posts: 2
    Is it different than a 2006 Quad Cab 2500 Diesel?
    98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 265/75/16 5.9L.
    I was getting 10.5 before all the work listed below.
    New Catalytic Converter
    New O2 Sensors (both).

Also, had done, but not really attributing to any change in MPG was...
    transmission rebuild, new front bearings and new u-joints.

This truck is the biggest POS I have ever owned, no, wait, the DODGE RAMPAGE I used to own is tied for the worst.

This truck breaks constantly. I only commute 25miles round trip daily and I don't tow or go off road, and I never beat on it. Granted all things break over a period of time, but its all at once. 2nd Gen RAMS are horrible if they have over 80K on them, then you have to go through and do all the work to keep them going.

I have put $6000 in less than 1 yr of repairs in to it.

but I get about the same MPG now as a Hemi would.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    After looking at the EPA mileage estimates, it looks like a Ram 1500 3.7 with manual gets about the same mileage as a Chevy 1500 4.3 manual, Dakota 3.7 manual, and Ford Ranger 3.0 and 4.0 manual. Is this really accurate considering the size and weight differences between these trucks?
  • jollypopperjollypopper Member Posts: 2
    We recently inherited a very nice 2003 Dodge 1500 Laramie with a 5.7L Hemi. The vehicle has just under 50,000 miles and runs beautifully, but the fuel mileage seems atrocious. What kind of mileage can we realistically expect from this vehicle?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Doesn't seem to be much activity on this forum considering the topic! I'm not sure what mileage you should expect on your Dodge but remember a 5.7 liter is about equivalent to a 350 cubic inch V8, not a small engine! I do remember seeing window stickers on a new Dakota quad cab V6 auto and a new Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7 V8 auto and there was only a one mpg difference between them.
    The 2003 HEMI does not have the MDS so you can probably expect 10 to 15 MPG on average. Newer HEMI's with the MDS about 13 to 18. >> Dodge says you can get 19 highway but I doubt anyone ever has. :(
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My son has a 2003 RAM with the 5.7 Hemi (no MDS) and averages around 15.5 town. It can do better on the highway with me driving it, but I drive much more sedately. I had a 5.7 RAM for more than a week in 2006 and I averaged 17.6, with 19.3 on a 120 mile trip (empty).

Be aware that new Mopar V8s with very tight bearing clearances and 20 lb. piston ring tension take exceptionally longer to break-in than most competitive engines. (The GM engines are 2.0 lbs!) But you'll be less likely to be burning oil at 200,000 miles, also.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • CGBearCGBear Member Posts: 6
    "but I get about the same MPG now as a Hemi would. " Yup, you do....but you don't have anywhere near the same power. ;)
  • CGBearCGBear Member Posts: 6
    I got an 02 ram 1500 regular cab 2wd w/3.7 v6 and new 17 inch 245's I have a hard tonneau cover and I haul my mason tools, a gas chop saw, 3 1/2 inch grinder and sometimes a couple bags of cement, brick, block or stone. I've always got something in the back of the truck. In the summer the ac is always on. I get exactly what the sticker said on the window.....13-17 mpg. I drive with a heavy foot, but throughout a tank of fuel I can expect about 15mpg avg. If I take it easy I can get way better mileage, but I don't! ;)
  • liny3liny3 Member Posts: 7
    i am looking at 03 quad cab 4.7 1500 currently driving 02 blazer w/4.3 v6 the average mpg is 15.5 for the blazer that is hway/local driving. wich way could iI expect to see those numbers go with the 1500?
  • byrd2byrd2 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2008 Ram 1500 with the MDS 5.7L HEMI. And on the HWY I get on average 12-14 miles to the gallon at 75 miles an hour. Not that I drive heavy footed. But if I drop it down to 55 to 60 miles per hour, I can get almost 19 miles per gallon. I don't know what it gets in the city, but it does pretty good for it's size.

I also owned a 2002 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB 4.7L V-8 with a hard cover on back, synthetic oil, and the K & N air filter. On the HWY I could average 24 miles to the gallon at 55 to 60 miles per hour. I averaged 14 miles to the gallon in the mountains, pulling a small trailer doing 75. Not bad for the size of pick up and the engine worked great. Only problem was, my rear end went out at 40K miles. Lucky for me, it was covered under my extended warranty. That 4.7L engine is comparable to the old 318, and is easy to work on.

Mike
    Thanks Mike for the reply, that was what I was hoping to hear.i wonder if there is anything you can do to prevent the rear from going.I work with a guy who has a 2007 quad cab w/ 5.7 hemi and he just had the rear go on him. But he has a lease and he is hard on the truck ....very hard!
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I also have a 2003 Dodge Ram with the 3.7 in it, plus I have a 5-speed transmission. My truck is the 4-door with aftermarket 20 inch rims. The most miles I can get per tank is about 320 around town, but that is when the gas light comes on and it has a few gallons left. On the freeway I can get maybe 380 if I am lucky. I think that works out to be around 14-15 around town and about 17 on the freeway. I always have work stuff in the back of the truck also. But, for how big the truck is, I guess that is not to bad. I might be wrong, but I have noticed also that when I put Chevron gas in it with the techron, it runs smoother and it gets a little better gas mileage. And no, I do not work for Chevron.
    I have a very good friend that has a '06 RAM 4x4 Quad Cab with the 4.7 and he averages about 15.5 in daily driving. That's with a short, five mile run to work and back. Another acquaintance says he gets a steady 18 MPG on the highway with his.

Regards,
    Dusty
    just purchased a 2003 1500 quad cab 4.7 been driving it about a week and think i am only averaging 11.5 mpg the is no modifications on the truck. is a cold air intake going to help should i try 89 octane gas ???? any ideas ????/
    11.5 mpg is pretty sorry unless you are driving pedal to the metal in town there Hoss. The 2003 also does not have the MDS (started in 2006) so that may have something to do with it too. Take it easy and see what happens.

Ski in Austin
    i am driving this truck pretty easy,i really have to give a few weeks to see the real numbers. what about replacing the fan and clutch fan with an electric fan?? and i think using better gas may help i would be happy if i can avg 14/15 combined mpg
    Just to clarify, the 4.7 motors never got MDS. That was only available on the Hemi.

Since it sounds like you just got this vehicle used, I suggest performing a full tune-up: spark plugs, air filter, clean the throttle body, replace the PCV valve, oil change and new oil filter. I would strongly recommend a transmission maintenance, too, if this vehicle has over 50,000 miles on it. Your's has the 545RFE fully adaptive tranny. All it needs is a new set of filters and replenish the fluid with ATF+4. There are no bands to adjust on this fully electronic unit.

I've found tire pressure contributes a lot to good mileage and in some cases front end alignment. There's been a number of computer updates to the 2003, both for engine and transmission and you might find this will help.

Overall, however, driving style is the biggest contributor to gas mileage. Gentle launches, gradual increases in speed, lower speeds, and gradual stops make for a often large difference in fuel consumption.

Good luck and best regards,
    Dusty