Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What vehicle(s) did you trade (or sell) for your hybrid or diesel?

z28_sedanz28_sedan Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Just curious to see what the MPG differential was for a lot of hybrid or diesel owners from their previous car(s). Any big SUV or pickup owners that went eco?

I have a '96 Caprice with 5.7L V8 that I was thinking of trading toward a 2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon. However, for my commute (mixed city/highway) the Caprice gets 25 mpg which isn't all that bad given that my round-trip commute is only 18 miles per day.

If someone bought my Caprice and then used it to commute 80+ miles round-trip (quite common in my location), then by selling it, I could be hurting the environment more than helping it. Of course, what if that person traded a big pickup or SUV...etc., etc.

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I traded a 4WD 2002 Chevy Avalanche making 13.5 MPG for my 2004 MT HCH which is giving me 47 MPG so far.

old Avalanche payment = $880

new Civic payment = $429

monthly payment savings: $451

Monthly fuel savings at 1000 miles per month and $2 per gallon is $105

Insurance is $15 cheaper on the HCH monthly

Total savings per month: $571

Total savings per year: $6852

Very few people can do this, but I could, and I did, and I love my HCH !!! :)
  • z28_sedanz28_sedan Member Posts: 18
    Cool! Hopefully, someone who lives within 2 miles from work bought your Avalanche. :)
  • p3ozp3oz Member Posts: 6
    Sold in march of 2004 my one year old FX 35 - fully loaded with rear view camera, front radar (slows down your cruise if the car ahead of you is slower than your cruise speed...and picks it back up to the cruise speed once the distance between you and the car is safe enough), dvd player and screen, navigation, keyless entry (as in prius 04 and up)...etc....

and went ahead and bought a used 2001 Prius with 91k miles on board.
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    Drove my '94 Dodge 160K miles for 10 years and replaced it with my 04 HCH.

I saved more than $5,000 in gasoline costs last year.

Dodge averaged about 17-18MPG, last year I averaged 58 point something in my HCH.
  • cablackcablack Member Posts: 45
    Great thread!

I traded in my 2002 Honda Civic Si (the hatchback) with a 2.0L iVTEC which averaged 26 MPG (mostly city).

Replaced it with a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT which is averaging 45 MPG (mostly city).
    I replaced a Chevy Avalanche with an HCH, and it was mostly a financial decision. I'm saving about $7,400 (seventy four hundred dollars) a year versus the Avalanche with reduced gas use and reduced car payments and reduced insurance figured in, as well as reduced vehicle registration costs.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Larsb:

___From the rest of us that encourage decreased consumption no matter the method, I thank you.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    Heres my story.

When I totalled my 93 Plymouth Voyager, my insurance provided a '02 Toyota Echo rental. For 27 days I used it exactly the same way I did to work, and then lived and breathed in that Echo as I scrambled around town to get a replacement for the Voyager. Needless to say, I got to know that car very well. I also was quiet disappointed with the mileage.

When we finally got a used 2001 Prius for the price of a Corolla, I had a really good 4 way comparison mileage wise. My experience?

1) '93 Voyager well kept, was comparable to our '00 Mazda MPV.

2) '02 Echo was exactly twice more efficient than the Voyager.

3) '01 Prius is 40~45% more efficient than '02 Echo.

Myth Blown: Echo/Corolla/Civic as efficient as Prius.

(... not in your dreams buddy).

But my story does not end there. Our 2nd child came and my wife will be stay at home again for the next 5 years. Our Prius with the bigger loan has to go.

So November, bought a 94 Jetta 1.9TD to replace the Prius. Kept the Prius while in the process of working out all the kinks on the junka er.. jetta. Needless to say I'm disappointed with the diesels mileage. My experience?

4) 94 Jetta 1.9TD manual is only about as efficient as the '02 Echo.

This after using all the tricks I learned with the Prius (40+psi, "pseudo" impulse driving in 5th gear, timing red lights and coasting in neutral). I may still be able to improve this, but the old 01' Prius had so far given us 48mpg. And thats only because wife ruined my 52mpg everytime she used it.

It may sound like gimmicky hocus-pocus, but the Prius's ability to cut off engine while coasting or stopped makes a difference. And impulse driving works too. When we 1st had the Prius I was quiet disappointed with the mileage like a lot of people. However knowing what I know now, hybrids are the way to go.
  • solar_dadsolar_dad Member Posts: 22
    2001 BMW 530i for a 2004 HCH. It was my wife's. She's a peach.
  • stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    1998 BMW Z3 (1.9) for 2002 Prius...better mileage and a four seater instead of 2-seater.

2000 Volvo V70XC for 2005 Escape Hybrid...better mileage, runs on regular, roughly the same cargo space and seating space.
    Just an update. I got a Jetta TDI but it's not the wagon (the wagons are just too dog gone expensive right now...the price difference is something on the order of $4-5K just because it's a wagon).

Anyway, on the first tank I averaged 52.7 mpg almost all highway. I haven't yet had to fill the tank a second time...these things have 14.5 gallon tanks and even with mostly city driving people at tdiclub.com are reporting 40+ mpg. My commute is about 80% highway, so I'm guessing I'll average about 45-47 mpg.

Question for marcb:

Are you getting at least 40 mpg in your TDI? If not, you may want to check the tune of your engine (EGR sticking? intercooler clogged? intake manifold clogged? injection timing correct? etc.)

Also, if you had the Echo in the summer, remember it's not a fair comparison to your winter TDI mileage.
  • hybd4mehybd4me Member Posts: 5
    Double the gas mileage. More nimble around town. More useable for my family life. I never look back.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Review: I love my car (truck). it drives excellent; the room is well worth the money and the backing up signal has made even the tightest spots feel like large ones. Also my truck turns on a dime. I was almost killed in my Honda Accord and my husband wanted to put me and our 3 kids into something safe. I can almost take on the world with comfort, style and reliablility it has been worth every penny. I do get 21 mpg in my 7.3 diesel Eddie Bauer.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/ford/excursion/100469185/ratings_- consumersdetail.html?dcr_usein=n&modelid=100505109&tid=ed- munds.n.ratings_consumersdetail.content..2.Ford*&dcr_sid=all
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Now I see.....I drive a 3 thousand lb mid-size car and you drive a mammoth Ford Excursion. Well, thats what makes this country great. Your special needs are met and so are mine. Where we differ perhaps is in what constitutes meeting everyday needs. If you want protection I can see the big advantage your vehicle has, BUT, when does BIG begin to be TOO BIG. The average parking spot is so narrow that your doors barely clear without banging dents in the side of my car (or anybody else's car for that matter). Then there's the fact that your rear (I'm referring to the EXCURSION, of course) sticks out a good 3 to 4 feet where ever you park the Jolly (Green) Giant. Now, lets not forget the height of your bumpers that never meet the more standard car bumpers and we all know what happens when you slam into US. Right? Then there's your headlights that glare into our mirrors every night (yea, thats a joy). Heaven forbid we pull up next to each other because it'll be a cold day in Burmuda before I'll see around or over your BUS.

Now the good news. I can afford gas when it crowds three bucks while deisel will be a bit less but still costly. Unless you pull a trailer or a big boat I fail to see anything practical in an Excursion. Unless $$$$ is no object when it comes time to replace tires yours will be about four times the cost of mine. Lastly, you said the excursion turns on a dime.....Isn't that an oxymoron? I do respect your opinion and even your selection in a Ford truck. I've owned a few and they were practical and reliable. If, some day we ever run into rationing of fuel I would hope that you will then look back and realize why I chose to drive a Hybrid and do my part to conserve fuel for OUR future. Now doesn't that make some sense?

Culliganman (Hybrids visit gas stations occasionally)
    when does BIG begin to be TOO BIG

I would say that the CXT from International is a bit large for the average soccer mom.

http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news040921_inational/

When I drive to the store in our little Mazda 626 I understand why so many people are buying big vehicles. It is survival. At least half of the vehicles on the road are big PUs & SUVs. You take your life into your own hands driving a small car. Gas is still a small part of our budgets.
    Regardless of the SUV's and Pick-Ups, I'm more concerned about the mass number of Semi-Trucks out there on the roads we all share (or try to). If I'm worried about SUV's a bit you better believe I'm alot more concerned about huge double trailered semi's barreling down on me from behind or running a traffic light because they can't stop (usually speeding even more than us. You can worry till the cows come home because we're all at risk with the really big rigs out there.

Culliganman (hybrid all the way)

PS and I ride cycles every spring, summer & fall (saving gas)
  • jpricejprice Member Posts: 58
    with 140K. This car had given great service; it was my wife's car, and she used to get 32+ MPG. It had gotten to "only" about 28 MPG. Lots of little things were going south - the cable that unlatched the trunk was broken, for example - and many rattles were starting up. I had been driving it since she passed about 5 years ago (I had been driving an '89 Toyota pickup at about 21 MPG, and drove her car by preference for the mileage), and was very uncomfortable with the near-zero headroom. Taking all things into consideration, the Prius looked good, so I put my name on the list at Northridge Toyota in April 2004. At that time they said it would be four months, but it stretched to seven; I picked the car (2005 Silver, #1) up the day after Thanksgiving for MSRP (I donated the GTS to the Boy Scouts). Mileage so far - about 2800 miles - is abut 45.5 and still climbing. Thoroughly satisfied, and the envy of my block.

jprice
  • sugiyoyosugiyoyo Member Posts: 3
    I traded my 2000 Passat for a Honda Accord Hybrid.

Mpg in the VW: 22
    " " " HAH: 25

Above mileage is for city driving.

I miss my Passat.
    I traded my 2000 Passat for a Honda Accord Hybrid.

How does the handling compare between the Passat and the HAH? Would you do it again after driving the HAH?
    What, are we race car drivers now? Are we trying to take 55 MPH corners at 85 mph?

Can someone please explain why "handling" is an issue in a 4 door family sedan? Why would that even matter AT ALL unless you are talking sports cars?
    Can someone please explain why "handling" is an issue in a 4 door family sedan?

Certainly, a car that goes 0-60 in less than 7 seconds should be able to stop and corner equally as well. Or is the HAH just for the dragstrip?

PS
    The poster said he missed his Passat. I was curious what he missed. Or is that off subject?
    quote gagrice-"Certainly, a car that goes 0-60 in less than 7 seconds should be able to stop and corner equally as well."-end quote

Stop and Corner as well as what? Other 4 door family sedans which are that fast and which also cost $32K and are rated 37 MPG hwy? Which cars are those?
    2005 Accord seems to handle just fine:

"Its suspension smooths out bumps and ripples in the road, but isn't so mushy that your back-seat passengers get motion sickness. When pushed hard, it's balanced and fun to drive. We found it inspired confidence at high speeds on winding roads. It's smooth, poised and supremely stable. "

From this page:

http://www.nctd.com/printversion-review.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Honda_Ac- - cord&ReviewID=1628
    Stop and Corner as well as what? Other 4 door family sedans which are that fast and which also cost $32K and are rated 37 MPG hwy? Which cars are those?

The Passat beats all those criteria except the 0-60. So I guess if your thing is street racing the HAH is your car. Another poster is taking delivery on a Passat TDI with leather for $26k today. He will get an honest 37 mpg without driving like an old woman. And he has loads more room than the HAH. No brainer in my book.
    Well, if you want to pollute more, break down more often, and depreciate faster, then yes it is a no brainer to go with the Passat.

Really, though, if you want a commuter car for basic commuting, the HAH is a better choice. If you do a lot of travel involving carrying lots of luggage, or if your commute is 75-80 mph on a good open road, the TDI would probably be a better fit.

But it would still pollute more and depreciate faster than the HAH.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you want to talk handling, please take it to the main HAH discussion. This isn't the place for that sub-topic.

Thanks
    But it would still pollute more and depreciate faster than the HAH

you are right on the pollution and the TDI is a proven high resale the HAH is not. I just stopped by the Ford/VW dealer yesterday and asked about any used VW TDI cars. They get maybe one every two months and have a list to call. He wishes they could sell the new ones as VW gas cars are slow movers.

HAH handling according to Edmund's:
    Cons: Tepid handling, brakes should be more powerful.

Tepid:
    Moderately warm; lukewarm.
    Lacking in emotional warmth or enthusiasm; halfhearted

In other words mediocre.
    OK,
    I was curious what the poster missed about his Passat that he traded for a HAH. Kind of got to debating the two cars, sorry.....
    I too am curious as to what the poster "misses" about his Passat?

Here is what that poster said in his profile:

"I'll unload this PASSAT as soon as my HAH arrives and say sayonara to German cars. When you're as old as I am, time has become too precious to spend it sitting in a car dealer's waiting room."

So he was apparently tired of the Passat being in the shop so much, HMMMMMMM ????
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    320,000 mile Dodge Shadow

(sounded like a diesel, it was so old)
  • joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    Subaru Legacy 2.5 wagon (1997). Average fuel consumption of 28 mpg. I liked it a lot because of it's reliability.

I also own a Volvo XC/70. I get 21 mpg, with my style of driving.

So far my Prius has given me 49 mpg, but I only have driven 700 miles with it and at the moment it's still on winter tires.
  • karkuskarkus Member Posts: 11
    My old Integra hatchback was a reliable, sporty car that got over 30 MPG (but only because I coasted in neutral in the mountains a lot), and we sold it to get a Prius last year.

Prius has averaged 48 MPG over 24000 miles (yes, I keep a detailed log). In the summer getting 50 MPG is easy, but the cold weather and reduced energy content "winter gasoline" makes it go down to ~46 MPG in the winter. By the way, I observed the same trend in the Integra - it happens to all cars.

Despite the fact that I really liked my Integra, I have NO regrets about selling it. The PRIUS rocks! I used to be a firm believer in stick-shift cars (and I still don't like automatics) but the Prius variable transmission is so SMOOTH and easy to drive that I don't miss the stick at all.

We also have an 1994 Nissan Pickup (22MPG) , but the yearly miles we put on it dropped from ~10000 to 1000 last year, so that's a huge gas savings.
    I never trade in a vehicle, that is the best way to lose money on a car. I really like my new Passat Wagon TDI. The Suburban does not get much road time since we got the Passat. I want to make sure that the VW TDI is what I want, then I will sell the Suburban to my neighbor. I will probably buy a 10 year old beater PU to pull my utility trailer and haul the big stuff. The TDI in the Passat has so much torque (247 ft. lbs.) that the hills around here are not even a challenge. My wife never drove anything but the Lexus. Now she takes the Passat. The handling reminds her of the 928 & 911 Porsche's she had for a while. Very smooth power. I have not gone over 3500 RPM's, just not needed. Cruises at 80 MPH with the tach sitting at 2400 RPM. If you want a soft squishy ride like a Camry or Accord don't get the 17" wheels and Michelins.
    Having an R.V. I needed a vehicle that I could pull behind for secondary transportation. Finding an R.V. friendly car led to 3 different tow-friendly 4WD Suzuki's over the last 3 yrs. Since the settling down period of buying a new house and awareness of fuel costs on the rise, we decided to investigate the Prius and found it to be everything the critics said of the hybrid. Now with close to 20K miles I am convinced that not only did we buy a car for our needs but a car for THESE TIMES. By the way...the 4 cly. Suzukis got 25 mpg's while our Prius has been consistant in the upper 40's to lower 50's. Winters drop to low 40's due to severe weather conditions.
    Railroadjames(happy hybrid :) )
    ...You end up paying a huge "convenience charge" (several thousand $$$ in most cases) by trading in instead of selling. I bought my Jetta TDI with no trade-in and am trying to decide if I want to sell my '96 Caprice or just keep both of them.
    Having an R.V. I needed a vehicle that I could pull behind for secondary transportation.

Have you towed the Prius yet? If so did you use a tow bar or one of those little trailers that the front wheels ride in?
  • flj168flj168 Member Posts: 12
    Last year I donated my 1986 Volvo 240 wagon to Goodwill after I purchased a used 7k mile 2003 Prius for $17,388 plus tax and license. A few months later the car was worth $3k more than what I had paid for! I even received a letter for Toyota of Santa Monica to purchase the car at a top price,,, sight unseen.

I certain won't miss the noisy brakes and mufflers on our 1986 Volvo. Also, goodbye high repair and parts prices!
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    You overpaid for a 2003 Prius. If you thought Volvo parts prices were high, wait until you see Prius prices. You should have bought an 04 or later Prius with an extended warranty. That's the only way I am going to buy mine.
    Ah! Yes! Towing the Prius, you ask! Well, The manual and dealer seem to be in agreement that it be towed only by a dealer..... unless you have an emergancy. Well, I see it this way. According to the general concensus, I see no reason why it could not be tow'd frount wheels up. I think, in time, there will be options for RVers to transport the hybrid. If not, I'll get creative. We'll see.
    Culliganman( Prius to the resque)
    RVers to transport the hybrid

Will the rear wheels turning cause regenerative charging of the batteries. And can that be reason they should not be towed? Or are the rear wheels used for regenerative braking/charging?
  • tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    2002 GMC Envoy.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Great choice... What type of mileage was your Envoy getting. My friend gets 13-16 on average in suburban driving.
    This is where it gets a bit complicated. The regenerative factor you speak of would only apply to a "running" vehicle. I'm always surprised when auto manufacturers neglect the RV world that is thirsty for a tow'd car that fits their needs. Suzuki has been very in tuned w/ these buyers. Honda likewise. I've even investigated the under-carrage of my 04' Prius looking at the possibilities of a hitch for light towing (like a motorcycle or a jet-ski). That's not looking too good but not out of the question.
    Railroadjames(hybrids CAN-DO)
  • jpricejprice Member Posts: 58
    are the rear wheels used for regenerative braking/charging?

Only the front wheels are connected to the power train - the rear wheels are only along for the ride (although they do take part in mechanical braking).

On this Forum's topic - my Prius replaced a '90 Corolla GTS with 140,000 miles on it. It had been my wife's car, and I had driven it since she passed in 1999. It was getting 28 MPG (when new, it got 32+ MPG). She had *WON* the car in one of those mall raffles (where you slide an entry form into the window of a demo car on display), and it was her pride and joy; indeed it was a very nice car. But little things were beginning to go wrong - the cable from the little lever under the driver''s seat to the deck latch was broken, for example (a repair with an expense out of proportion to its worth) - and it was developing a lot of rattles. Besides, the headroom was almost nil for me. I donated it to the Boy Scouts. Couldn't be happier with my Prius, which I picked up the day after Thanksgiving in 2004 ater a seven month wait (the GTS was running acceptably, so I wasn't in a desperate rush).

jprice SoCal '05 Silver, #1, 5200 miles, [non-permissible content removed]. mileage 46.5MPG
  • flj168flj168 Member Posts: 12
    At the time I purchased my used 2003 Prius, there were no used 2004s available, the new ones had a 4+ month wait. The 2003 Prius was certified and came with five additional years extended warranty along with four remaining free Toyota service. Starting model 2004 on, Toyota dropped the first five free services. I figure this is worth at least $800+?
This discussion has been closed.