Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• nrborodnrborod Posts: 79
    I'm holding out to see if it happens. Who wants to bet on it?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    It will depend a lot on what is offered on other Epsilons. If new Malibu or G6 offers the Aura will for sure switch over (unless they still have capacity problems).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    If my wife hasn't opted for an Accord V6 6-Speed by then, an Aura XR 6-Speed would be a lead pipe cinch to get her business.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • myway2myway2 Posts: 3
    I would like to know some info about the Saturn Aura XR year 2007. I would like to purchase one, but not sure.

Thank you
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Basic info can be found here:

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/aura/overview.jsp

Anything specific you're looking for?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,715
    If Saturn ever does bring the rumored sport hatch version of the Aura to USA, that would definitely be of interest!

Picture Malibu Maxx done right (Chevrolet could never figure out what to do with it), and supported by the GM division that promotes euro flair!
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    See:
    http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jsp

http://cars.about.com/b/a/216928.htm

I think you are talking about the Astra and not the Aura. I believe this is the Euro car to come to the States. Interesting! The turbo will be a quick car. This car and the Volvo new hatch to come, will be popular, or should be popular cars for those young, or young at heart drivers, which like the hatchbacks. While very popular in Europe, the hatch is considered as a cheaper car here in USA. Just something etched in minds due to some of those cars in the market here back in the 70's.

Malibu Maxx is the Aura Recommend test drive of XR if looking for sporting.
  • Personally I hope they don't bring out a hatchback version of the Aura. If you want a hatchback, but a Malibu Maxx. I drove one and a malibu LTZ and a Impala. After all that I drove the Aura and there was no legitimate comparison. It was more like driving a BMW 3 series or Lexus ES 350. Which made the Chevy feel like, er, a chevy!
    If you want sporty and a hatchback I'd suggest the Dodge Magnum Hemi :shades:
    Malibu Max is going away, if not gone already. The Aura hatch would be a cheap way to bring a 5 door to the US and it would be in the right division-Saturn.
  • IF! the MAXX goes away, doesn't that say that GM has found there really isn't a market for a mid sized hatchback? I owned a Vega Hatchback way back in 72 and thought it was terrific, but I don't think the numbers are there to warrant another hatchback today. The new mini/mid sized SUV's and "Crossover's" seem to be where the market research says the buyers are.
    I would recommend to GM that they keep and eropenize the MAXX. After all the MAXX and Aura are build on the same chassis foundation.
    Somehow, Saturn found a way to make the suspension really work fantastically. It is so much better than the MAXX that I would say they aren't built on the same foundation. I love how my XR handles and it was number two on my reasons for buying an Aura over the Malibu or Impala.
    Engine/transmission being number one.
    The Saturn is an Opel with a different interior, front/rear fascias and badges. It would take very little money to bring over a Saturn hatch. I think the Saturn uses the same suspension tuning as the Opel.

The Malibu would mean tooling up all new quarters and many other parts. Saturn is supposed to be the Euro division at GM so let them try the Euro 5 door.
    I thought it to be:
    http://cars.about.com/od/saturn/ig/2008-Saturn-Astra-gallery/index.htm

Are you sure it is not the Astra???

My favorite looking Opel will always be my first new car, the Opel Manta Rallye.
    Wish they still made the 1973 - looks wise anyway. Engine would be a bit weak by todays standards. http://www.opelclub.com/html/opel_manta.html
    Loren
    If Saturn ever does bring the rumored sport hatch version of the Aura to USA, that would definitely be of interest!

original comment is correct from kurt. Aura is based on Vectra and they have a 5 door version in Europe.
    I see now. Thanks for correction. I was thinking of the one which is coming to the States. The next sized up car, as is the Aura, I really doubt would sell well in a hatch. It's one of those American preferences. Hatches are economy cars, is the image here. And trying to sell many stick shift is equally a hard sell in USA. Hatchbacks are good for hauling stuff, yet are more noisy by nature. And I think most people like to throw items in a trunk rather than into a hatch.
    There is a market for 5 doors, but how large the size of such market is the question. Now in the smaller car, in hatch only, I think will sell.
    Loren
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    GM is now offering $1500 on the Aura if you dont take the cut rate financing. Sounds good to me.
  • I have looked at the Opel web site and though I don't read German, I can see they don't have a 3.6 L VVT Quad Cam 24 Valve V6. Where does this wonderful engine come from? It's a GM engine made for Cadillac, Who'd of thought?
    If the Aura is an Opel, granted it looks a lot like it, Why does Gm say the chassis is built on the next-generation Epsilon platform, the previous version of the architecture which underpins Chevys Malibu and Malibu Maxx, Pontiacs G6, G6 Coupe and G6 Convertible, and Saabs 9-3 sedan, 9-3 Cabrio and SportComb. Thats Saab, a Swedish car, not an Opel.
    I admit I am very new at this forum and know very little about the company that built my car, but my car was built in Kansas, not Germany.
    What I don't know is, Does GM own Opel and Vauxhall? IF so Can I get my GM/Saturn dealer to order parts from Opel?
    Where does this wonderful engine come from? It's a GM engine made for Cadillac, Who'd of thought?

It was built for all of GM. LaCrosse, G6, Aura, Malibu (future), CTS, SRX, STS, Equinox and others use it.

All current smaller midsize GM vehicles use the Eps 1 architecture that was developed in Europe. The Malibu, G6 were designed here on the Eps 1 platform and the Aura on the outside is a Vectra but with a much nicer US designed interior (IMO). The next gen Eps 2 platform will not be out until 2009 or so. I think the first usage will be the LaCrosse or Saabs but not sure (G6 would have been but it may be going RWD?). The Saabs were designed in Europe. All the above cars are built here with the exception of Saab which are imported.

Opel, Vuaxhall, Daewoo(part of it), GM China, Holden and others are part of General Motors.

I do not know if you can order a part from Opel thru a GM dealer. Perhaps if you had a part number you could try (find a German enthusiast to get one).
  • dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    I'd been thinking, with recent reports about GM's various improvements, the Maxx might entice me back from the world of 'import' wagons assembled in Indiana. I was even prepared to get over its silly name. Was bummed to hear of Maxx's demise, so I'd also like to see the Vectra 5 door re-badged here as an Aura.
  • I had the opportunity to take a look at the Opel/Vauxhall Astra a couple of years ago, while I was in England (and most recently a car show in Minneapolis). It certainly is good looking and happy to hear it will arrive in the U.S. badged as a Saturn. Thankfully keeping the same name... Hmm, does anybody know why Saturn didn't keep the same name for the Aura (aka Vectra)?

I'm also curious if Saturn will import the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa, a B-segment car which shares similar design features as the Astra.

If you want to learn more about Opel cars, but prefer to read it in English, take a look at the Vauxhall web site at http://www.vauxhall.co.uk.

YipYipYipee
  • guy1974guy1974 Posts: 87
    I had read that Saturn will sell the Corsa from 2011 which is when the newly released Corsa gets it's midlife upgrade and any changes for sale in the US could be incorporated. Also allows GM to see how the Fit and Yaris work out.
    GM Daewoo will take responsibility for future development of this platform, merging Opel designs with their subcompact T-series platform used in Lanos and Kalos. The GAMMA architecture is not only for hatchback and sedan, but also capable of monocap & small SUV. The first Global GAMMA based car will be arrive by early 2010.

The vehicles will be much more similar architecturally than the current versions, but will be assembled at factories in China, Germany, India, Korea, Mexico, Thailand, and Venezuela. A shorter version of the platform will spawn smaller cars like the Chevrolet Spark for the developing world, with assembly and sales in China, Colombia, India, Korea, Poland, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

This new Gamma platform will be used in the following vehicles:

Chevrolet Aveo and future Daewoo Gentra
    Opel Corsa and variants from Vauxhall and Chevrolet

Looks to me like Daewoo will be responsible for the mini platform (Gamma) and will develop a new architecture in the 2010 time frame. From it will come what is known today as the Corsa/Aveo vehicles.

I believe the Delta platform, with Opel as responsible, will bring out the Cobalt/Astra/G5 replacements.

the question is what the vehicles will look like. Per some comments by GM I forsee the Aveo being marketed worldwide as much as possible as a Chevrolet. The Corsa would be marketed by Opel and possibly Saturn here.

Now it also looks like Chevrolet will be marketed worldwide and be the Cobalt nameplate. The Astra would be the Opel and Saturn variant.

But what the heck do we know!! This is still 2-3 years in the future and GM probably is still struggling with branding worldwide.

Can Europe really handle a Chevrolet and Opel? I do not know much about that market.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    Opel (and Saturn) supposedly goes upmarket as VW did some time ago. Chevrolet is a cheaper alternative just like Skoda.
    I think Saturn is already there with the Aura starting with a V6 and no 4.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    They have finally officially released pricing on the GL model even though many have known it for weeks.
  • Yes, I'd agree it appears GM's strategy is to make Opel/Vauxhall be a distinct brand from Chevrolet. This is evident between vehicles developed by Opel and Daewoo.

I hope GM is successful in making distinct products from similar next-generation platforms. Manufacturers like Ford and VW have done fairly well in this arena.

YipYipYipee
    Yes, I'd agree it appears GM's strategy is to make Opel/Vauxhall be a distinct brand from Chevrolet. This is evident between vehicles developed by Opel and Daewoo.

I think we will see products for both Opel and Chevrolet from both Daewoo Gamma(Corsa/Aveo) and Opel Delta (Astra/Cobalt) architectures in the future. They will be different looking and content differences
  • I think we will see products for both Opel and Chevrolet from both Daewoo Gamma(Corsa/Aveo) and Opel Delta (Astra/Cobalt) architectures in the future. They will be different looking and content differences.

Thanks for filling in the blanks regarding specific platforms.

Perhaps it was you who mentioned the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa may make out in Saturn guise, but wouldn't be available until after 2010. If so, why so late considering the new Corsa isn't even shipping yet in Europe? Are they waiting for the next round of engineering updates to make it U.S. safety and emissions compliant?

Yes, I suppose they could follow the "Pioneers get the arrows, farmers get the land" approach and see how well Honda Fit (why don't they call it the Jazz like they do in Europe), Toyota Yaris and BMW Mini do in terms of sales.

YipYipYipee
    Yes, I suppose they could follow the "Pioneers get the arrows, farmers get the land" approach and see how well Honda Fit (why don't they call it the Jazz like they do in Europe), Toyota Yaris and BMW Mini do in terms of sales.

In that segment GM has the Chevrolet Aveo. Selling very well. Will Saturn get a Corsa? Next platform update.

GM product czar Lutz said the new Corsa wasn’t engineered with the United States market in mind, so it won’t pass crash tests: “It would take two years and be too expensive, so we’ll wait until the next generation,” says Lutz.

That’s the car being engineered in Korea by a joint Daewoo/Opel team; it won’t be in the market for five years “at the earliest,” Lutz says.

But do not believe everything Bob says. 5 years is way too long to develop a new platform.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060725/FREE/60724033/1024
    Corsa won't pass US crash tests? What test won't is pass. Safety issue with the car, or just the bumper test? Something about this doesn't sound quite right. The way it reads, the car is unsafe, so we will sell it elsewhere. Oh goodness no!
    Loren