Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Honestly, why not just get a minivan for a few years? Or take a look at the Saturn Outlook.
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    How many Aura's has Saturn sold in the past few months? Im just curious to see...
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    They don't use electric assist steering in the Aura.
    -Loren
  • trauppiustrauppius Member Posts: 31
    The power steering pump thing is a red herring as the XR uses a hydraulic power steering pump instead of the GM Magnasteer as used on the Malibu and G6. This does not sound like a normal (i.e. just ignore it, they ALL do that) type of thing. Something is going on here.

I am an aerospace systems engineer with an electrical/electronics background and it my first impression is that you are hearing some form of acoustic resonance artifact resulting from some form out-of-spec performance by the alternator/regulator. This would explain the change in tonal character as you vary the electrical load (lights, radio, etc.).

I suggest you ask your Saturn guy to listen carefully in and around the alternator when the car is cool/cold. As the engine bay and electrical loading on the alternator raise the temperature the sound probably fades away.

If the problem cannot be isolated perhaps you can take some comfort in the 3 year/100K bumber-to-bumber warranty. If the conditions worsens, and it may be an indication of a developing failure, then it will be GM/Saturn's problem to resolve to your satisfaction. You may also want to contact the Saturn regional Customer Center and see if they have heard of anything like your problem. Auras are fairly new and the maintenance patterns/problems/legends are just beginning to take shape.

P.S. I have been enjoying my XR for about 4 months now, now problems so far.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    not many. They sold less than 4000 last month which is less than half the total of Malibu or G6 sales for the month. I dont know why this car is selling so slowly, Saturn better find a way to market this vehicle more effectively. I really think they need to do some Fusion like direct comparison marketing. The Aura is superior to the Fusion and yet Ford is the one that has the guts to compare their vehicle to the Accord and Camry. Aura sales should probably be a good 20% higher right now based on the strength of the product.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My wife is just about done with the whole minivan thing and is finally looking at getting herself into car again for the first time since 1998 (errr, except for several months in 2003 when my badly broken leg meant that she got my 530i 5-Speed and I got the minivan). Currently the Camry, Accord and Aura are the top three on her short list. We'd prefer to avoid the Camry and Accord if at all possible, however, she prefers being able to stir her own gears, and unless I'm missing something, the Aura cannot be had with a stick. True, false?

If that proves to be true I'm having a difficult time figuring out why. The Aura's main competition can be had with a stick, and every Opel I've ever rented in Germany has had a stick as well. Why oh why would GM not cover their competition, especially as the Opel version of the car almost certainly offers a stick over in Europe?

Geez, other than the FWD nature of the Aura (which annoys me to no end, but her not so much), the lack of a manual transmission is the only other fly in the ointment for what otherwise looks like a well executed car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Actually the Camry only has the 6 speed manual avialable on the 4 cyl. only.

And since the Aura only had a V6 then you are out of luck if you wanted a 4 cylinder with Saturn. Then again if you wanted the V6 you are out of luck at both Saturn and Toyota.

similar on the Accord but you are able to get the manual with the V6 if you get the top of the line Accord.

The market for manuals in this country is pretty slim. Anymore the 5/6 speed autos can do as well as or better with gas mileage than a manual so MPG is not a reason to buy one.

I guess the market for "sporty" midsize FWD sedans with manuals is small. Of course it does make sense with the low end since you can save some money?
    Personally I could care less if a car gets better mileage and/or has better acceleration with a slushbox. Both my wife and I prefer driving manual transmissions. Period, full stop, the end.

Regarding the Camry and the Accord offerings with a manual gearbox, the transmission is in our mind far more important than the engine. That said, she'd probably opt for the larger engine, all else being equal (except price of course).

My point was to say that since the Opel version of the Aura is most likely already being offered with a manual gearbox, it's not like GM has to spend millions of R&D dollars to develop one for the car. Given that their competition is already offering them, why would they not? Dumb.

We'll be doing some test drives in coming weeks and it remains to be seen if the Aura XR's basic goodness will be enough to overcome her desire to have a stick. Current odds only give the Aura a 30% chance of success.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well I would think the Astra will have a stick version, but I doubt the Aura will ever have one. Ya never know. The XR has the paddle shift, which may work OK for holding the gears while on those country roads, with more spirited driving. It is never the same as a stick though, so if your heart is set on shifting, you'll have to find a car with the clutch. As for power, the XR is fine. The automatic seems like a good one. There is simply not the demand for sticks these days, so I doubt a shift version would sell all that well. The Astra, with a turbo, and aimed at the younger segment, may have a stick with all engines available, would be my guess. It is a smaller hatch car though, so perhaps not what you are looking for.

As for automatics, I just bought a car with a 5 speed, and I love it for most driving I do. For those times when I want to stay within a three gear range, I have a D3 for using just the three gear range. And it seems to NOT be shifting mid-term within a turn. If I get the urge to shift again, I will get a sports car as a second. For now, the power of a V6, mated with a good solid automatic is good enough. Automatics are no longer crappy as they once were. That said, it is fun to shift -- at least outside of town or city. Too many stop and go's around my area. The Aura XE I tested would not cut it for performance of those wanting for stick shift car, but the XR may. Your call on that one. As for stick shifts, I did own a Miata at one time, and it was the most pleasing stick shift I ever owned. And come to think of it, my first brand new car was an Opel Manta Rallye, so I indeed had the car you mentioned, a German Opel. At the time Opel was number one in sales, I do believe, though that was back in 1973. Loved the looks of the little coupe, even with what may seem odd; the light yellow color, with blacked hood and black side stripes. It actually out-handled the GT, which was the baby Vette look car.
    -Loren
    Yeah, the both the Astra and the Vectra (which is where the Aura traces its ancestry from, I think) are offered with a wide variety of engines and transmissions over in Europe.

Regarding paddle shifting, ummm, gimmick, I don't get the point, no thanks.

Mrs. Shipo drove both the XE and the XR (I only drove the XR, which was a fairly decent ride), and she opined that the slushbox just took too much from the smaller V6. It might could well be a fun car with a stick though.

You're right about one thing, the tranny that Mazda has in the Miata and the one that they used to use for the GenII RX-7 were brilliant (an old girlfriend left her practically new 1984 RX-7 with me while she went off to get married, I drove the car from Chicago to her wedding in San Francisco and she paid for my plane ticket back home). Then there was my "Opel GT Winter". Another previous GF had left her (then) BF and flown home from SoCal to hang with mom for a while. In the end she decided to stay, and when I went up to L.A. to fetch her Opel GT from her old BF, things got a little ugly. The local constabulary finally managed to sort things out and without further incident; I took the car back down to San Diego with me. Once back in SD I had a chance to really enjoy that car for a couple of months until I had the time to drive it back to Detroit for her.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you want a manual you need to get an Accord or 6. Its that simple. The aura doesnt have one because most people dont want it and thats the way is going to be.The competition may offer manuals on V6 models but no one buys them. Go to a Honda dealership and see how many manual V6 models are on the lot. People arent even buying manual four cylinder cars much these days.
    "Regarding paddle shifting, ummm, gimmick, I don't get the point, no thanks. "

Umm, the paddle shifters in the aura can shift the auto like a manual and it will not automatically upshift like the systems on other cars.
    I have found a few good uses for the paddle shifter manumatic mode in my Aura XR:

1. Downhill engine braking; very helpful in hilly terrain, and the XE's D and L choices are not nearly as useful as the XR's choice of any gear. I find 3rd most useful.

2. Low-torque startup under low-traction (snow) conditions. The XR has gobs of low and torque and the 1st gear is quite low resulting in poor grip/slippage at startup. The owner's manual recommends selecting M2 or M3 (2nd or 3rd) for startup in low-traction situations. If find this has worked very well for me in getting moving in the snow. The XE has less torque but does not allow you to manually preselect a high-gear start.

The manumatic software for the 6-speed auto has recently been changed to soften abrupt downshifts when the transmission is burdened (i.e. uphill and low rpm). The fix also decreases the paddle upshift time by a few 10s of milliseconds and increases the torque converter clutch pressure for more positive shifts when under load and high rpm.

One more thing, when in stop and go traffic I have found that using the manumatic+paddle-shift to hold onto 2-3rd gear and to startup in 2nd tends to keep the rpm lower and increase my fuel mileage in these circumstances. The added engine braking also makes it easier to coast (with engine drag/braking) and use less braking.
    Manuals are becoming pointless these days. Some small cars get better mileage with autos than with manuals. On most cars the difference it about 1mpg these days.
    Ahh, I see that "Mr. Know-it-all" strikes again. :P

Sorry to bust your bubble buster, but the manual is alive and well. Our local Honda dealership has quantities of both four and six cylinder Accords on the lot ready to be had. My informal count was that roughly 35-40% of the I4 models have a 5-Speed and an easy 20% of their full boat EX-L V6 models have a 6-Speed.

As for the continued "need" for the manual transmission, since the dawn of the automatic there hasn't been a true "need" for them, and yet they persist. Why? Because many folks, my wife and I included, "want" them. Like it or don't.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bdc2020bdc2020 Member Posts: 58
    I prefer a manual too - not because of MPG or because of 'fun', but because of costs. Very simple and not many things to fix. Replacing a clutch costs a lot less a bad auto transmission *usually*. I like simplicity. :) give me roll down windows too. :)
    since you have all the stats how about you tell us what percentage of cars today are sold with manuals? I rarely see midsize cars with manuals today. In fact, even econo cars with manuals are becoming uncommon.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    That's not what this discussion is about. Check over in Auto News for a place to discuss.

I saw an Aura at an auto show recently. Couldn't hardly get close to it because of the crowd around it!
    Interesting, as it doesn't seem to sell well. The looks to me is OK, but nothing overwhelming. Seems like a tight and solid car, with some handling and get-up-and-go. The XR really has the best sport feel to it, with a eager motor to pull the car along its way. As for looks, I am thinking the new Astra and the new Volvo hatchbacks will attract attention. Aura is pleasing enough, and rounds out the overall style theme well, but nothing stunning about it. The Altima I would think would gather more attention. I like my new Accord, as a good smooth design, like the Aura everything works well without being too pushy. Altima may be a bit much now. The Camry, other than the nose job, sporting a Bangle Butt, I am thinking may gather as much attention as the Aura, or more so. The Astra will be the Saturn to gather looks at shows, would be my guess. Aura is a good conservative style, which should last for some time. Not the in-your-face style of the Chrysler 300, which I bet got a hell of a lot of attention at shows.
    -Loren
    Saturn seems to selling much better lately. Please note below the February sales figures from the official GM website: Saturn is up 59.4% year-to-year, and the total sales actually exceeded Buick and Cadillac, while very nearly matching Pontiac.

Not bad, and this portends the beginning of trend toward better vehicles, greater sales and, eventually, better resale value. The improving sales are not due to the ION, nor the Relay, but primarily reflect the Aura and Sky launches.

Market Division Vehicle Total - February

% Chg
    2007 2006 per S/D
    Buick 15,108 21,425 -29.5
    Cadillac 14,142 16,251 -13.0
    Chevrolet 187,088 177,710 5.3
    GMC 41,279 33,751 22.3
    HUMMER 4,177 5,645 -26.0
    Oldsmobile 0 92 ***.*
    Other - Isuzu 960 832 15.4
    Pontiac 24,563 29,107 -15.6
    Saab 2,221 2,787 -20.3
    Saturn 22,225 13,945 59.4
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    I'm holding out to see if it happens. Who wants to bet on it?
    It will depend a lot on what is offered on other Epsilons. If new Malibu or G6 offers the Aura will for sure switch over (unless they still have capacity problems).
    If my wife hasn't opted for an Accord V6 6-Speed by then, an Aura XR 6-Speed would be a lead pipe cinch to get her business.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • myway2myway2 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know some info about the Saturn Aura XR year 2007. I would like to purchase one, but not sure.

Thank you
    Basic info can be found here:

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/aura/overview.jsp

Anything specific you're looking for?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    If Saturn ever does bring the rumored sport hatch version of the Aura to USA, that would definitely be of interest!

Picture Malibu Maxx done right (Chevrolet could never figure out what to do with it), and supported by the GM division that promotes euro flair!
    See:
    http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jsp

http://cars.about.com/b/a/216928.htm

I think you are talking about the Astra and not the Aura. I believe this is the Euro car to come to the States. Interesting! The turbo will be a quick car. This car and the Volvo new hatch to come, will be popular, or should be popular cars for those young, or young at heart drivers, which like the hatchbacks. While very popular in Europe, the hatch is considered as a cheaper car here in USA. Just something etched in minds due to some of those cars in the market here back in the 70's.

Malibu Maxx is the Aura Recommend test drive of XR if looking for sporting.
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    Personally I hope they don't bring out a hatchback version of the Aura. If you want a hatchback, but a Malibu Maxx. I drove one and a malibu LTZ and a Impala. After all that I drove the Aura and there was no legitimate comparison. It was more like driving a BMW 3 series or Lexus ES 350. Which made the Chevy feel like, er, a chevy!
    If you want sporty and a hatchback I'd suggest the Dodge Magnum Hemi :shades:
    Malibu Max is going away, if not gone already. The Aura hatch would be a cheap way to bring a 5 door to the US and it would be in the right division-Saturn.
    IF! the MAXX goes away, doesn't that say that GM has found there really isn't a market for a mid sized hatchback? I owned a Vega Hatchback way back in 72 and thought it was terrific, but I don't think the numbers are there to warrant another hatchback today. The new mini/mid sized SUV's and "Crossover's" seem to be where the market research says the buyers are.
    I would recommend to GM that they keep and eropenize the MAXX. After all the MAXX and Aura are build on the same chassis foundation.
    Somehow, Saturn found a way to make the suspension really work fantastically. It is so much better than the MAXX that I would say they aren't built on the same foundation. I love how my XR handles and it was number two on my reasons for buying an Aura over the Malibu or Impala.
    Engine/transmission being number one.
    The Saturn is an Opel with a different interior, front/rear fascias and badges. It would take very little money to bring over a Saturn hatch. I think the Saturn uses the same suspension tuning as the Opel.

The Malibu would mean tooling up all new quarters and many other parts. Saturn is supposed to be the Euro division at GM so let them try the Euro 5 door.
    I thought it to be:
    http://cars.about.com/od/saturn/ig/2008-Saturn-Astra-gallery/index.htm

Are you sure it is not the Astra???

My favorite looking Opel will always be my first new car, the Opel Manta Rallye.
    Wish they still made the 1973 - looks wise anyway. Engine would be a bit weak by todays standards. http://www.opelclub.com/html/opel_manta.html
    Loren
    If Saturn ever does bring the rumored sport hatch version of the Aura to USA, that would definitely be of interest!

original comment is correct from kurt. Aura is based on Vectra and they have a 5 door version in Europe.
    I see now. Thanks for correction. I was thinking of the one which is coming to the States. The next sized up car, as is the Aura, I really doubt would sell well in a hatch. It's one of those American preferences. Hatches are economy cars, is the image here. And trying to sell many stick shift is equally a hard sell in USA. Hatchbacks are good for hauling stuff, yet are more noisy by nature. And I think most people like to throw items in a trunk rather than into a hatch.
    There is a market for 5 doors, but how large the size of such market is the question. Now in the smaller car, in hatch only, I think will sell.
    Loren
    GM is now offering $1500 on the Aura if you dont take the cut rate financing. Sounds good to me.
    I have looked at the Opel web site and though I don't read German, I can see they don't have a 3.6 L VVT Quad Cam 24 Valve V6. Where does this wonderful engine come from? It's a GM engine made for Cadillac, Who'd of thought?
    If the Aura is an Opel, granted it looks a lot like it, Why does Gm say the chassis is built on the next-generation Epsilon platform, the previous version of the architecture which underpins Chevys Malibu and Malibu Maxx, Pontiacs G6, G6 Coupe and G6 Convertible, and Saabs 9-3 sedan, 9-3 Cabrio and SportComb. Thats Saab, a Swedish car, not an Opel.
    I admit I am very new at this forum and know very little about the company that built my car, but my car was built in Kansas, not Germany.
    What I don't know is, Does GM own Opel and Vauxhall? IF so Can I get my GM/Saturn dealer to order parts from Opel?
    Where does this wonderful engine come from? It's a GM engine made for Cadillac, Who'd of thought?

It was built for all of GM. LaCrosse, G6, Aura, Malibu (future), CTS, SRX, STS, Equinox and others use it.

All current smaller midsize GM vehicles use the Eps 1 architecture that was developed in Europe. The Malibu, G6 were designed here on the Eps 1 platform and the Aura on the outside is a Vectra but with a much nicer US designed interior (IMO). The next gen Eps 2 platform will not be out until 2009 or so. I think the first usage will be the LaCrosse or Saabs but not sure (G6 would have been but it may be going RWD?). The Saabs were designed in Europe. All the above cars are built here with the exception of Saab which are imported.

Opel, Vuaxhall, Daewoo(part of it), GM China, Holden and others are part of General Motors.

I do not know if you can order a part from Opel thru a GM dealer. Perhaps if you had a part number you could try (find a German enthusiast to get one).
  • dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    I'd been thinking, with recent reports about GM's various improvements, the Maxx might entice me back from the world of 'import' wagons assembled in Indiana. I was even prepared to get over its silly name. Was bummed to hear of Maxx's demise, so I'd also like to see the Vectra 5 door re-badged here as an Aura.
  • yipyipyipeeyipyipyipee Member Posts: 43
    I had the opportunity to take a look at the Opel/Vauxhall Astra a couple of years ago, while I was in England (and most recently a car show in Minneapolis). It certainly is good looking and happy to hear it will arrive in the U.S. badged as a Saturn. Thankfully keeping the same name... Hmm, does anybody know why Saturn didn't keep the same name for the Aura (aka Vectra)?

I'm also curious if Saturn will import the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa, a B-segment car which shares similar design features as the Astra.

If you want to learn more about Opel cars, but prefer to read it in English, take a look at the Vauxhall web site at http://www.vauxhall.co.uk.

YipYipYipee
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    I had read that Saturn will sell the Corsa from 2011 which is when the newly released Corsa gets it's midlife upgrade and any changes for sale in the US could be incorporated. Also allows GM to see how the Fit and Yaris work out.
    GM Daewoo will take responsibility for future development of this platform, merging Opel designs with their subcompact T-series platform used in Lanos and Kalos. The GAMMA architecture is not only for hatchback and sedan, but also capable of monocap & small SUV. The first Global GAMMA based car will be arrive by early 2010.

The vehicles will be much more similar architecturally than the current versions, but will be assembled at factories in China, Germany, India, Korea, Mexico, Thailand, and Venezuela. A shorter version of the platform will spawn smaller cars like the Chevrolet Spark for the developing world, with assembly and sales in China, Colombia, India, Korea, Poland, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

This new Gamma platform will be used in the following vehicles:

Chevrolet Aveo and future Daewoo Gentra
    Opel Corsa and variants from Vauxhall and Chevrolet

Looks to me like Daewoo will be responsible for the mini platform (Gamma) and will develop a new architecture in the 2010 time frame. From it will come what is known today as the Corsa/Aveo vehicles.

I believe the Delta platform, with Opel as responsible, will bring out the Cobalt/Astra/G5 replacements.

the question is what the vehicles will look like. Per some comments by GM I forsee the Aveo being marketed worldwide as much as possible as a Chevrolet. The Corsa would be marketed by Opel and possibly Saturn here.

Now it also looks like Chevrolet will be marketed worldwide and be the Cobalt nameplate. The Astra would be the Opel and Saturn variant.

But what the heck do we know!! This is still 2-3 years in the future and GM probably is still struggling with branding worldwide.

Can Europe really handle a Chevrolet and Opel? I do not know much about that market.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Opel (and Saturn) supposedly goes upmarket as VW did some time ago. Chevrolet is a cheaper alternative just like Skoda.
    I think Saturn is already there with the Aura starting with a V6 and no 4.
    They have finally officially released pricing on the GL model even though many have known it for weeks.
    Yes, I'd agree it appears GM's strategy is to make Opel/Vauxhall be a distinct brand from Chevrolet. This is evident between vehicles developed by Opel and Daewoo.

I hope GM is successful in making distinct products from similar next-generation platforms. Manufacturers like Ford and VW have done fairly well in this arena.

YipYipYipee
    Yes, I'd agree it appears GM's strategy is to make Opel/Vauxhall be a distinct brand from Chevrolet. This is evident between vehicles developed by Opel and Daewoo.

I think we will see products for both Opel and Chevrolet from both Daewoo Gamma(Corsa/Aveo) and Opel Delta (Astra/Cobalt) architectures in the future. They will be different looking and content differences
    I think we will see products for both Opel and Chevrolet from both Daewoo Gamma(Corsa/Aveo) and Opel Delta (Astra/Cobalt) architectures in the future. They will be different looking and content differences.

Thanks for filling in the blanks regarding specific platforms.

Perhaps it was you who mentioned the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa may make out in Saturn guise, but wouldn't be available until after 2010. If so, why so late considering the new Corsa isn't even shipping yet in Europe? Are they waiting for the next round of engineering updates to make it U.S. safety and emissions compliant?

Yes, I suppose they could follow the "Pioneers get the arrows, farmers get the land" approach and see how well Honda Fit (why don't they call it the Jazz like they do in Europe), Toyota Yaris and BMW Mini do in terms of sales.

YipYipYipee
    Yes, I suppose they could follow the "Pioneers get the arrows, farmers get the land" approach and see how well Honda Fit (why don't they call it the Jazz like they do in Europe), Toyota Yaris and BMW Mini do in terms of sales.

In that segment GM has the Chevrolet Aveo. Selling very well. Will Saturn get a Corsa? Next platform update.

GM product czar Lutz said the new Corsa wasn’t engineered with the United States market in mind, so it won’t pass crash tests: “It would take two years and be too expensive, so we’ll wait until the next generation,” says Lutz.

That’s the car being engineered in Korea by a joint Daewoo/Opel team; it won’t be in the market for five years “at the earliest,” Lutz says.

But do not believe everything Bob says. 5 years is way too long to develop a new platform.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060725/FREE/60724033/1024
    Corsa won't pass US crash tests? What test won't is pass. Safety issue with the car, or just the bumper test? Something about this doesn't sound quite right. The way it reads, the car is unsafe, so we will sell it elsewhere. Oh goodness no!
    Loren