Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    About 1000x more attractive than the L....

~alpha
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Ya, no kidding. Dare I almost say this is one of the best looking sedans period. Hopefully production will be true to these pictures.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Looks like Saturn is finally beginning to get its act together. The Sky looks very nice. The Aura should be built- it must be at least 1,000,000 times nicer looking than the L.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Wow.. that's a nice car. If only the L was more like that, who knows where Saturn sales could have been now.

Better late than never. Get it to market ASAP!!
    If it's as nice as it looks in the pictures, I may replace my Intrigue with a 3.6L version.

Which platform is this car? It would seem to be the Malibu/Saab/G6 as it will be built in Kansas.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    loved the dealer, the car was mediocre. Saturn has been going downhill since it was introduced.

The new stuff looks spectacular, however. Thank you Mr. Lutz for saving the brand.
    I remember trying hard to like the L300 but in the end I got an Intrigue. The Aura looks HOT and I hope it's everything Saturn says it is.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    sounds almost like Aurora :) Ominous. I have to tell you guys the truth about Aura - it is most likely the next generation Opel Vectra with the Saturn badge. I expect the car that comes after ION to be an exact copy of Opel Astra. You can see new Astra in Detroit showphoto gallery. And Astra looks aike a smaller Aura.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Where do I sign? With only a two detail changes I will write the check right now. The tail Lights need to be tri color like the Opel's and the rear license opening needs to be wider to reduce the bubble look of the bumper. Otherwise I LOVE it. American companies always Cheap out with the solid red tail/turn signals. Looks extremely cheap to me. With those two small changes you have a very sophisticated looking car This is what the Malibu should have been.
    I suspect this car will cost more than a Malibu though. Saturn is clearly moving up market to compete head on with VW and Honda so expect those kind of prices.
    Rather with VW than Honda. Honda competition supposed to be the Malibu.

I think that new Vectra tailights will be identical to Auras.
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    According to GM insiders, the Aura seems to be heading towards a redline version with 300hp on tap. No word on whether this will come by a turbo, SC, or small block v8.

Will most likely need standard AWD to handle the power.

While I like the idea of the extra HP, I'm also curious of GM looking at bringing over some of the Opel Vectra engine choices in terms of the 2.0 or 3.0 turbo diesel.

I'd love to see saturn take over for VW as a brand people can look to for affordable European quality, performance and economy (diesel).

Lastly, when the vectra wagon gets the aura face lift, they need to bring it here to. That would pretty much put a competent contender to the diesel passat variant, and more options are better than one!
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Anyone know what the rough dimensions are for this concept (length,height,width)? Only info I've found so far saids it's midsize...but 'midsize' has been growing with each iteration of models.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I think it will be pretty close to the Pontiac G6. The design should leave a little more head room though.
    I was thinking about the same thing with the G6 but then again manufacturers can stretch or shrink a platform to that they need.
    I read somewhere the Aura is slightly stretched. I still can't believe GM is giving this car it's 3.6L as an option, Wow!
    Yeah. It would be something if you could get a loaded Aura with the 3.6 somewhere around 28k. Assuming Saturn can nail the suspension mix, that would be quite a sedan.
    I am feeling good about this car. Never thought I would feel like that about a Saturn. I hope it's coming to the Toronto Int'l auto show. Can't wait to see it.
    Oh man! If the Aura is in Toronto it will not be in Chicago ;)

Seriously, it would make sense to have the model in Toronto. Chicago is a good local show but the US media either hit the NAIAS in Detroit or wait for New York.

Toronto on the other hand, is the jewel of the Canadian circuit.

I allowed myself some room for optimism when I first heard last year that Saturn would start looking to Opel for its design. I must say the Aura and the Sky were much better than I ever let myself hope they may be.

I had a Saturn a while back. I really enjoyed the dealer experience. I just have not enjoyed the product of late. I really think the Saturn sales network deserve some hits.
    I loved my experience at the Saturn dealer, I just didn't love the cars. The Aura is WAY better than I had hoped for. GM may have 2 prototypes so Chicago and Toronto could both have one. Lets hope, I really want to see this car.
  • rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    Does this mean that the prices for Saturns are going up? Some articles say that Saturn is planning to go upsacle.
    The L Series were priced about the same as Pontiac. The Aura looks to be somewhat upscale from the G6. So I imagine you will be looking at somewhat higher prices than Pontiac but lower than Cadillac.

Think Passat level prices and you should be close. My theory at least.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    GM says the Aura will compete with the Passat, so it will be priced accordingly.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    i'm looking forward to seeing this car at the chicago auto show. i'm impressed both inside and out. way to go GM!

this could be the first GM car that's truly competitive against top end accord/camry V6 models and the base passat (passat is going way upstream with the next model).
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    The Vectra taillights are the same shape but are tri color. Amber turn / red stop-tail and clear backup. EU law requires Amber turn signals and turn indicators at the rear of the front fenders or side view mirror mounted turn indicators. Also the larger rear plate opening reduces the huge bumper look.
    rsx-sfan : I don't think prices will that much higher than the L-series when it came out. L-series were no bargain until they didn't sell. I do think the $5000+ cash backs will be gone (not needed)though. With a car like this GM could command a more premium price.

Venus : I agree. While I think the Malibu is close, this one will have the V6 power and premium interior. Hopefully the base engine will be the 170 hp 2.4L VVT.
    American automobile standarts are less developed than European ones. I do not see the reason why GM insists in red turn signals. It is safer to have yellow turn signals than red ones, that are undistinguishable from stop signals, and also yellow repeaters one the side of the car.
    Both our GM vehicles (Intrigue and Montana) have amber turn signals.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I've been looking for a replacement for my Olds Intrigue and haven't seen anything that I can really get excited about (even expensive cars like STS and G35) except the Acura RL. And even then, the exterior styling leaves me wanting. That is until I saw the Aura.

Even tho Lutz says "what you see is what you'll get", they also said that maybe 4 or 5 things will change. That scares me since GM has a history of "dumb-ing down" concept cars (even tho this looks production ready). My fear is that the 4 things that will be changed are 1- the instrument cluster, 2- the center console, 3- the center stack, 4- the steering wheel. It's only 4 or 5 things, but any change to them would completely change the look of the car.

The Grand Prix looks good on the outside but the interior is horrible. The Aura looks good inside and out and hopefully anything that changes will be minor like tire size. The only disappointment for me is that there's no talk of AWD.
    All say pretty much the same thing; just different shots. The second link actually says more than the cut-n-paste press release that most sites have posted. The first link has large hi-res shots.

http://www.fast-autos.net/saturn/saturnaura.html

http://canadianautopress.auto123.com/en/info/prototype/view.spy?a- - - rtid=34160&make=Saturn

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0501_saturn_au- - - ra/

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_detroit/saturn/aura/p- - - ages/1.htm
    According the the current issue of Motortrend mag, Saturn is being positioned to move upscale and take the place of the Oldsmobile slot. Even the model names are similiar - Aurora and Aura.

I'd suspect a similiar hike in price to.
    What was point then to kill Olds? I remember they said it has been sqeezed out by Pontiac and Buick.
    This car is also a potential Intrigue replacement for me though I still want to keep my Olds for another 3-4 years. I share the same fear as you do and I do expect some changes in the production, I just hope they are minor as I like the car as is. The CTS and maybe the Allure are the only other GM cars I would consider so I was very surprised and pleased to see the Aura. I will be following this story closely.
  • dblagentdblagent Member Posts: 14
    I really like this car a lot from what we have seen so far. I am not real fond of the two tone interior, but that's me. The real thing that I want to know is the pricing on the new models. If they try to move up market they will move right out of where I am buying from. I'm hoping that they will keep the price low to attract more buyers to the brand as they try to rebuild. Now if there was only a Saturn dealer less than an hour and twenty mins away...
    I have read reports that the Aura will cost between $21,500 and $27,500. That would put it squarely in the spot the Intrigue occupied.

I actually think dropping Oldsmobile and keeping Saturn was the right move (as much as it pained me to admit since I'm on my second Intrigue and love/d my cars).

Both Saturn and Oldsmobile were doing poorly in sales. The key was the customer base. Olds' loyal customers were getting up in years; Saturn's were younger, lent themselves to imports and very loyal. Both targeted import buyers who also are younger. So, if I had to make a decision to can one, it would be the one with less of a chance to capture this customer base - thus Oldsmobile would have to go.
    I agree, GM had 1 too many divisions and now that I see Intrigue like vehicles coming from Saturn, I feel a little better about the death of Olds. I still think both divisions could have been saved with better marketing and Olds quality but there isn't much point in going on about it.

I read in the new Motor Trend Aura will have the new 2.4L 170 hp VVT as a base motor. They also go on to say it's main target is the Acura TL. The 3.6L will come with auto only while the 2.4L will have a standard transmission option.

Even if it's a little smaller than my Intrigue (which i suspect it will be), I see this as a strong replacement contender.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    The TL offers a stick with its high-output (and only) engine. I might be interested in one if the 2.4L / stick shift is available with *all* the nice options, and if the 2.4L is a smooth runner. I haven't read enough reviews to know if this is the case.

Basically, if they can make something that drives like a Passat and is as reliable as an Accord, I'll bite.

As far as the Red Line version, anything beyond the 250 hp range in a FWD car is on the edge of sanity, even with StabiliTrak. Perhaps it will feature all wheel drive.
    I would go for a 3.6L Aura only if it wasn't priced like a Caddy CTS. GM (and other makers also) have a habit of really pricing higher end models at a big premium. The 2.4L would be fine for me though I would go auto, too much traffic in the Toronto area for a stick.

:-(
    The interior looks to be the equal of VW/Audi in the photos; not close, not "on par," but in fact equal. This is a very good thing, and the first mainstream car GM has done this well. The two-tone in the concept is hot, although it would still look impressive in one color.

As someone else posted, it appears the Aura has red rear turn signals. They could be amber ones in disguise, though. Even if they're red, I doubt if they're the same lamps as the brake lamps, although this is also allowed under the current (stupid) US law. The old Chevrolet S10/Blazer and GMC Sonoma/Jimmy had the all-in-one red lamps. Audi, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have all been guilty of using red instead of amber rear turn signals in some models, even though in their home markets, amber ones are required. I will concede that making the entire taillamp red may be more aesthetically pleasing than having an orange portion, but using a clear lens near the backup lamp with an amber bulb will have the same effect. Bottom line, this is just a stupid habit that all the manufacturers (except some of the Europeans) practice in the US because it's allowed. There are guys here who put European market taillamps on their Corvettes, and I would probably put them on my Aura.

Didn't realize the automatic is a six-speed. I might consider the 3.6 after all.

The depreciation curve of the Saturn scares me, though.
    The 2.2 litre ecotec is one of my favorite engines. The 2.4 shares basic architecture with the 2.2.

The 2.4 remains an unknown player as of yet, but has promise.

From what I have read, GM has done a lot of tinkering on what was already a great start.
    corvette : Saturns used to have great resale. I think they could again if the Aura is a good car. L-series really killed Saturn's resales.

Logic : The 2.4L sounds like it will be a great little motor. I too like the Ecotec . I think the 2.4 is going into the Solstice also.
    The Aura will have to be better in every way than an Accord or Camry (like a reliable, cheaper, more powerful version of the Passat) before Saturn's resale will approximate theirs.
    Oh ya, and even if it is at the get go, it will take time for it to build up resale.

It can be done but it won't be easy. I think the Cobalt is in the same boat. It's a top tier car in most respects now but it will take a long time for people to realize or believe it.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    The new Aura is a very nice looking car, especially the interior. I have never seen an interior that good on any GM car (except Cadillac). This interior lacks all the cheap plastics that the L series and Ion have. This is the car that could save Saturn from being phased out. Additionally, Saturn got a new minivan, the Relay this year. A small roadster, the Sky will come next year. All Saturn needs is a midsize SUV based on the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier platform to have a well rounded line up.
    ***All Saturn needs is a midsize SUV based on the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier platform to have a well rounded line up.***

That's all Saturn needs if they don't want to exist in a decade. The Trailblazer is a dud, and any Saab or Saturn based on it will be no different. Consumer Reports recently ranked the Trailblazer as one of the least satisfying midsize SUV's to own. Imagine, a car too dull for Consumer Reports...
    I was reading on a Saturn web site both the ION and VUE will be getting Aura look to their front ends for 2006 as well as substantial upgraded interiors and mechanicals (a la 2.4L VVT power). Looks like the "aura" of Saturn is about to drastically change for the better.

All good and WAY over due in my opinion!
    from the Aura. I rented a Chevy Mailbu Maxx this weekend. The Malibu, G6 and soon-to-be Aura are based off the same platform. And a good platform it is.

While it's not the same car and likely the Aura will get more refinement than the Chevy, there are some things that will likely carry over (and a few I hope that won't):

Good points:
    -- V6 is STRONG. Shocking how powerful the Malibu is from a dead stop up to highway speeds
    -- tight suspension. Driving over scraped streets being prepared for paving was excellent. What would have made other cars bounce and jiggle was a minor annoyance in the Malibu (really didn't feel like the street was torn up; ride was smooth/er than my Intrigue).
    -- kickin' radio! It sounded "almost" as good as my Pioneer MP3/WMA/CD player I installed in my Intrigue. Not as good but good enough that I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it.
    -- ROOOOOOOMY!!! I'm 6'8" mostly in the legs. My Malibu had no power seat yet I fit fine behind the wheel (which is tilt/telescopic). With the seat ALLL the way back, there was enough room for a woman 5'7" to fit comfortably. I sat in the front passenger's seat with the seat all the way back and could swing my legs. No foolin'. Not as much room as the Malibu commerical with the basketball players turning to midgets because of all the room, but pretty darn close. The wheelbase for the G6, Aura and Malibu is 112.3"; just to make the point, the Bonneville's wheelbase is 112.2" & the Grand Prix and Intrigue is only 110".
    -- brakes have good feel
    -- quiet. Not Buick/Lexus quiet but good.

Bad points:
    -- climate control fan is noisy. Turn it to setting 3 and the radio turns itself up because of the increased noise.
    -- steering is too stiff at low speeds. Parking felt like old Chevelles back in the day w/o power steering. High speeds are good.
    -- engine not refined. Sounds a little coarse compared to the Intrigue 3.5 although I think it responds better than the Intrigue 3.5.
    -- emergency flasher sits high in the dash. Even I had to stretch to reach it.

Overall, a good car. I'd consider buying one. I should note that the Aura will probably be closer in refinement to the Pontiac G6 than the Malibu. I haven't had the opportunity to drive one but would love to see if my assesment of the Malibu lines up with others views of the G6 as kind of a sneak preview of the Aura.

Since the Aura already has looks on its side, the platform will do the rest. But to target a Saturn against Acura TLs, the mechanical refinement will need to be top notch.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "But to target a Saturn against Acura TLs, the mechanical refinement will need to be top notch."

If I recall correctly, thats one of the reasons why the Aura will not feature the low tech, unrefined 3.5L motor. (BTW, if you think that engine is strong, you should try a V6 Altima or Avalon whose engines are the same size but even quicker). Rather, I believe the engine option on the Aura will be GMs OUTSTANDING 3.6L DOHC engine.

~alpha
    Aura will have a base VVT 2.4L 170hp and the VVT 3.6L 230-250hp V6.

I read somewhere recently, Saturns will only have OHC engines going forward also.

In my humble estimation, Aura will be substantially more refined that Malibu. Hopefully I am right because I look at the car as a possible replacement for my Intrigue also.