Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Lexus LF-A

callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
edited April 2014 in Lexus
Now that it has been introduced (in concept form) at the NAIAS. I think we can go more into depth as to it's future pursuits.

500HP+ is good. Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 911 Turbo, Benz SL55 as competition is good.

Styling is a significant issue (wish I could link on this browser), but being a concpet, there is still hope The basic design seems to be a larger Celica, which I always liked, sans the tight interior and buzzy engine choices.

Please post some pics of the car show's concept!

DrFill

Comments

• speedluxspeedlux Member Posts: 23
    Well, auto show are here so are the LFA, What do you all think of this exotic from lexus?

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101568

As for myself it look good In and out.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    At carconnection.com

It's better than I thought. The rear is obviously pure concept.

DrFill
    THIS LF-A forum was up first! So post here. The host will drop my clone shortly. Thank you.

DrFill
    This will jettison the rebirth of a Toyota "Supracar" as well. Obviously it can't borrow much from any future Lexus exotic, but this is an original platform, and if 'Yota has proven anything over the last decade, it's than they really don't want to make only one car per platform.

Something else to think about.

Back in 1991, with the Acura NSX at it's height, Lexus comes out with the SC, a groundbreaking design that was hugely successful. Why wasn't a project like this undertaken then? They had proven they can make a compelling sports coupe. The NSX gave them a natural competitor and market to attack. The Lexus name was HOT, with the SC and LS instant success. They could have made a supercar, that would at least draw more traffic and press to their fledgling brand.

The cost for such a limited production vehicle may have been prohibitive, and they may've had more concrete, long-term financial ideas like building more dealerships and such.

But if you said you can have the 1993 Lexus GS, which fizzled after a fast start, and even today 12 years later, has failed to make an impact on the sports-sedan market, or a supercar to shock the world and dazzle the Germans (and Italians), in hindsight......

DrFill
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm not sure Toyota had what it takes to make an F355, 911 or Viper fighter in those days. The Nissan R33 Skyline GT-R was around then too, but Nissan never felt it was worth the money adapting the car to left hand drive as well as the cost of making a US emissions and federal safety certified car. Just look at how long it took the Subie STi and Lancer Evo to get here. The Japanese have traditionally been very apprehensive about bringing their home-brew performance machines to this side of the world. Forunately that is changing, but I really cant see Toyota making a super exotic back in '92.
    To make the Supra, only THE GREATEST sports car of the 20th century, they could have made a Super-Supra!

And the strength to make THE GREATEST luxury sedan of the 20th century, they could've made a Lexus of Exotica!

Am I lyin'?

My Jets just lost an amazing game, man. That's sad! :(

DrFill
    "To make the Supra, only THE GREATEST sports car of the 20th century"

Ok something is wrong with you if you meant that seriously. I am a Toyota fan and I dont agree with that at all. The 20th century is A LOT of cars. I wouldnt even put Supra in the top 100.

Are you forgetting the 300SL? The Ferrari 250 GT0? The Porsche 550 speedster? The Jaguar E-type? And countless other greats that would slot WELL above a Toyota Supra on the list of the 20th century's greatest sports cars?
    Dude, you're playing into my strengths here! Supra knowledge!

The Supra was the best sports car of the 90's.

The best Toyota has EVER produced. The Best value (Under $40k). Won every comparison!

Better than ZR-1 (forget a mere mortal Vette)!

Better than NSX (MT)! Better than RX-7 (C&D)!

Compared to 512TR and 911 (Seriously!).

R&T once said "It's so competent (at beating 300ZX, Vette, and 3000GT), it's boring!"

Best braking distance C&D has ever recorded (a record that stood for years until VERY recently)!

The wunderlust of every aftermarket tuner in the US, able to support 900+HP without chassis bracing, and with the stock tranny!!!

And a mighty fine looker as well!

This was no car, it was a freak of nature. You have Mickey Mantle, Gandhi, The Godfather, Barry Sanders, and the 1993 Toyota Supra.

I'm not gonna break down a great sports car of the 50s or 60s. All I can say is today's cars are better than the cars of yesteryear. You won't find a Gullwing that can run with a modern Supra. Was it an icon? Sure! Is it a Supra? I think not!

Maybe every 10-12 years, 'Yota will create another marsterpiece, a new heir to the throne?

Name me a car that can do what a Supra could, look good, beat all comers, and cost.....$38k?

DrFill
    The '80s, early 90s Vettes were hardly the best cars ever to wear that name plate. The Vette didnt become a legitimate sports car until '97. The 3000GT also weighed about 8 billion pounds and was never much of a sports car. The Supra TT was one of the greats of the '90s, and of course a tuner favorite, but it would get thoroughly destroyed by THE ultimate tuner car and THE Japanese sports car icon, the R-34 Nissan Skyline GT-R. No other Japanese performance car even comes close.

If Nissan's new world model GT-R is anything like the last one, Toyota is going to have a seriously tough competitior on their hands.
    If it was so hot, why couldn't it make it here?

If it doesn't get to the majors, is it a Hall of Famer?

Funny sidebar. The Sura and the C5 faced off once in C&D in a comparison in 1997-8, and the Vette beat it by one point (Did you think the 5 year old Supra was going to beat a shiny next-gen Vette?)

I think the Supra had a better road course lap time too! Vette won 0-60 4.8 to 5.0.

Both lost the comparo to the M3!

DrFill
    If the Supra was never sold in the United States, would it have the popularity that the Skyline does here? I seriously doubt it. It was a great car, but anybody can put a FE\RWD car together with a good suspension and make a sports car. Nissan was years ahead of SH-AWD with their ATTESA-ETS electronic AWD system, the first of its kind that kept all of the power at the rear wheels until the front tires needed more traction, and also included rear wheel steering.

Despite being a large, rather heavy coupe, the R-34 was good for 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. It could outlap a Porsche Carrera 4. It could also brake to 0 from 70mph in 150 feet.

The R-34 never made it here because of the situation that Nissan was in during the cars run. If it did, it could easily go toe-to-toe with any M3 and squash Corvette C5 and Supra. And just like the Supra, the R-34 is capable of 800hp+ on largely stock mechanicals.
    The Skyline was/is quite ugly! I now know what "Goes like stink" means.

It looks lke the Supra after it's been through a demolition derby! Never liked Nissan's style. Has ugly ways (M45, old and new, Q, M30, J30, 300Z 2+2), until VERY recenty (Murano, FX, Altima).

DrFill
    As reported at the NAIAS, Danny Clements, GM of lexus, says any production car version of the LF-A would run about $125k.

He called this price a "sweet spot" or soft part of the market. The main competition would be Porsche 911 Turbo at that price. This undercuts Ford GT and Ferrari 430 by $25-40k.

This prototype seems further along than most Lexus concepts. I'd say it could be ready by early 2007, after the LS comes out.

DrFill
    Hhahahaha. Very clever comeback drfill. "Oh yeah? We'll you're ugly."

Would people pay $60K+ For an imported '98 Supra TT? I seriously doubt it. Some people must like the R-34's looks. By the way, the '99 Blitz Skyline has been clocked at 220mph.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We've got a Supra thread and a Skyline thread - please take the conversation about those two vehicles to the right place!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• msmtema99msmtema99 Member Posts: 5
    i think that lexus build that car directly to enter the competion from the biggest door
    as the next gen. SC with may be 3 engines
    the high out hp will be hybrid shared with the future supra and one other will be chared with the next gen LS and i think the 5.0L
  • ryousukeryousuke Member Posts: 12
    that sounds nice, a return to the coupe sc, but lexus would probably want another car as a convertible cruiser... LF-A?? all guessing for now... only time will tell
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I'm a strong believer in halo car psychology. I think that Lexus will use this super LF-A to fight Lexus' almost sportless image. Then people would come in to look at this AWESOME LF-A and come out with an IS. Just a thought.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Check out our exclusive spy video.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

That's a pretty car
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Very interesting video. I'm trying to tell what type of engine it has. At one moment it sounds like the classic Ferrari small displacement V8 then at another it kinda sounds like a V10 of say 4.5-5L. Either way its going to be fast. When I saw the concept at Detroit this year I said that the design has potential, something rare in a Lexus to my eye. The only problem is that droopy front end, that has to be redesigned asap. Looks horrible. People were talking about a new Supra. Forget that. Too much exotic ($$$) in the sound of this car to be sold as a Toyota.

M
    Toyota couldn't justify selling the car as a Toyota.... afterall, Toyota's are boring! :P
  • johnny11johnny11 Member Posts: 1
    The supra is in the top ten the twin turbo supra would smoke a 300sl most ferrari's and the jag e-type isnt that great. If you put 5000 under the hood of a supra you can smoke alot of cars. Ive been in a supra with 1800 HP! and 1450 ft lbs!!
    Jes, I might have flown into hyperbole, but with cause.

I was considering the Supra's pricepoint into the equation.

And, as many have learned one way or another, the chassis and stock internals maybe the most rigid and capable ever!

For $38k, then or now, finding a car that could do what it could, and look so good doing it, is a quandry for all time. The current Vette (C6) would have it's hands full, 12 years later, on any road course! :blush:

I love the current Evo's ability, but the overall styling, inside and out, obviously are no match for a Supra. But it has 4 doors, better warranty, and is $10k cheaper. So for anyone wanting Supra-performance, I have a thought......

DrFill
  • supras_backsupras_back Member Posts: 1
    I really really doubt that that's an LF-A concept. If u look near the end of the video where the "LF-A' concept is entering onto the main road there just happens to be a MKIV Supra directly in front of it :O! .....ironic
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    The LF-A
    A premium, two-seater sports car designed to open the doors to Lexus' world of passionate driving

▪ The LF-A is designed around the "L-finesse" design concept, aiming to be the embodiment of a high performance coupe.
    ▪ The engine bay is fitted with a newly developed, high-output V10 engine that takes driving into a different dimension.

Total length: 4,400mm
    Total width: 1,860mm
    Total height: 1,220mm
    Seating Capacity: Two

The 39th Tokyo Motor Show 2005

link title
  • lexusfan5lexusfan5 Member Posts: 4
    Lexus is AWESOME!!!

thats all I got to say
    The Lexus LF-A concept completed the Lexus trio at the Tokyo show.

The luxury marque’s first supercar concept, the LF-A is based on a 40-valve V10 producing close to 370kW (500 hp).

LF-A is based on the corporation’s developing Formula One technology.

The sleek two-seater concept blends the performance of an exotic sports car with the luxury refinements of a Lexus.

At 1220mm, LF-A is almost identical in height to the Ferrari F430.

“The LF-A concept expresses how we would design a premium sports car to compete with the best on offer,” Scott Grant said.

“We are hopeful it will be built as a production model, and that we would be able to make it available in Australia.”

Lexus LF-A ultra-high-performance sports car concept specifications:

Wheelbase: 2580mm
    Total length: 4400mm
    Total width: 1860mm
    Total height: 1220mm
    Front tyre size: 245/40R19
    Rear tyre size: 285/35R19

Source: link title

• getrealgetreal Member Posts: 1
    Get real,I used to sell Toyota's years ago-they aren't gonna make a 500 hp supra and it be 50,000, and..Toyota has scion for racers like us...Big deal you can get a Supra with 1100hp
    where ya gonna drive it? To a gas station? The vette will always be the best bang for the buck, face it- Toyota is not gonna make a car that smokes every lexus on the street..Its gonna be a Lexus or nothing...And 75,000 to 90,000 easy...Good luck!
    Oh no. You mean you sold cars? Holy smokes, we have here an authoritative voice on the inside workings of an automotive giant!

Ok, now where did I say that Toyota will make a super car under the Toyota name?

Exactly what I thought, getreal.

What are you saying 'Good luck' to? :confuse:
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    credit to road & track Magazine and scionlife...

Japan's First True Exotic

Although the show car pictured on our cover isn't a runner, there is a version that actually runs and goes really fast. According to reports in Japanese car magazines, the GT 450 (LF-A) lapped the recently redesigned Fuji International Speedway like a true super exotic. Visually, the test car that ran that day was slightly different from the show car you see on our cover. It had a metal roof rather than a glass one, BBS forged-alloy wheels and small cameras mounted in the side mirrors. This undoubtedly means the Lexus coupe is not yet in its final state; there are a few more changes to come, most likely to the front and rear ends.

Mechanically, we know the future Lexus 2-seater will be powered by a 500-bhp V-10. Whether the displacement will be 4.5 liters or 5.0 liters remains to be seen (the engine displacement will likely decide if Lexus will call the car GT 450 or GT 500). A display-only model of the engine revealed that the cylinder banks are angled at 72 degrees. It's also the first dry-sump engine in Toyota's history. Redline is said to be above 9000 rpm, so we're talking about an engine that puts out power like a Formula 1 car. It'll come mated to a transaxle with at least six speeds.

One of our stealthy ninjas actually heard the thing revving, and said the engine and exhaust sounded eerily similar to an F1 engine. "There was no sense of friction when the thing was revving up or down."

In fact, a Toyota board member was overheard saying that the car's official launch will coincide with the company's first win in F1; therefore, the final production model must be ready to be revealed when that historic event occurs. Within Toyota, that date is expected around the summer of 2007. Does Toyota have something up its sleeve at that time in F1? Or does the company want to steal some thunder from Nissan's GT-R launch?

Also, we've seen spy shots of a convertible version of the LF-A running at a remote test track, so expect an open-air GT 450 to make an appearance soon after the coupe. Price of the Toyota super GT is expected to fall somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Ok, a 500HP V10 supercar, theoretically, with the performance of a Ferrari, and the luxury and quality of a Lexus.

Well, let's look at the competition:

Ford GT: 0-60 in the low 3's, sports car heritage to spare, but zero luxury or comfort, both in the sales experience, or service. Price: $139k (Listed, sells for much more)

Ferrari GT430: Beautiful, exotic, appeals to the visceral and the enthusiast driver, tastefully luxurious interior, high performance, but goes for symmetry, not world-conquering performance. Great heritage. Price: $170k (if you can negotiate like Trump!)

Lambourgini Gallardo (SE): More heritage, exotic, original design, AWD, V10 performance. May out perform all other exotics. The driving experience may've been lost in the pursuit of perfection, doh. Price: $170-210k

Mercedes SL65: Fast, powerful, luxurious, but compromised by it's half-priced stablemate, the SL500. Not an exotic. But a very fast SL. Price: $135k

None of us really knows what the LF-A is, or will be, but if Toyota wants to sell 2-3000 of them at $170K, they probably can. But it's no surefire hit at that price.

If I were Lexus, I'd stay just under the SL65, and erode it's appeal, instead of picking fights in the exotics rarified air.

This doesn't say anything good about the LS600h pricing! We'll be lucky to stay under $100k with that one now. A $80k gap between cars would be most unseemly.

Remember the NSX wasn't exactly a smash hit, despite it's sub $80k price, and performance and technical superiority. :sick:

I'm surprised Lexus would choose to potentially overprice a new arrival, instead of growing slow and steady, and coming out on top at the end, as they have been doing elsewhere. :confuse:

DrFill
    I can't see it being a 170K car. I think they'll go for a 100K sticker.

Unless they do a roadster version they aren't going to touch the SL. They'll be competing with cars like the Aston Martin V8, Jaguar XKR Coupe and others, not so much the SL or those exotics you listed.

Then again in this type of market people shop all these cars against each other. If this Lexus has 500hp it will be shopped against the SL55 (510hp) and everything else in the GT/Sports car class. They need a roadster version to really compete in this segment though. If they do that I can't see why anyone would want the SC430.

M
    The SC just needs a little sharpening, a little edge, that's all.

It put the XLR out of "bydnis", so they found the right path.

A 350HP 2008 redo, with a "sport" version, and a sub $70k price tag will sell another 10k a year, no problem.

Do I have to think of everything? :surprise:

DrFill
    Well they'd better follow your suggestion otherwise the SC430 is going to look like very lame next to the real GT Lexus.

M
    I don't know merc1. I think you might have the LF-A all wrong. Check out the LF-A video and you will see exactly who the car will go up against; the car has moves and it sounds stunning! I can see it being a direct competitor of the F430. The LF-A will be a no compromise luxury supercar. If anyone here thinks the target competition of the LF-A is the SL, then they could very likely are misunderstanding the purpose of the LF-A.

We will see soon!

:shades:
    Well I think a "luxury supercar" is a compromise in itself, especially that description. There is always some compromise. One side has to prevail more than the other. If it too luxurious it will suffer on the performance side, especially if they try to make it ride too soft for the proper "supercar" experience.

Anyway, I see Edmunds has is reporting that this car will cost about 170K when it arrives here. For 170K it better have more than 500hp (or be real lightweight) if it is compete with Ferraris and Porsches of the same ilk. I agree though if they're shooting for Ferrari and Porsche the luxury biased SL isn't the target. I really wonder if they're going to keep in line with F1 and do a V8 instead of a V10.

Either way I can't wait to see what Toyota can do when let their hair down for a change.

M
    I am NOT in love with the styling, as it stands.

It's not ugly, but doesn't make my heart flutter, to the tune of "six bills".

The only pictures I've seen of the interior harken back to the NSX-meets-Lexus SC.

DrFill
    By luxury, I mean that it will have all the trimmings that people spending upwards of six-figures on a sports car would expect. If you look at the Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari F430, et al., you would notice that they are quite luxurious. The Gallardo, I know for a fact has navi and many other lux car related options. Having said all that, if they maintain a certain level of luxury that the buyer's would expect buying a Lexus with balls to the wall performance, that should not make the ride soft, but instead, a more enjoyable cabin.

Toyota has already produced a V10 production engine, so I can see that they will use that instead of the V8 despite what they said about keeping the car inline with F1. A V8 F1 bred engine in the GT sure would be sweet though!
    If that is the case I don't see what will make the Lexus standout because like you said those other cars already have the "luxury" thing covered pretty well. Buyers in this class are looking for name/lineage, performance and great styling, not just luxury. I doubt the average Lambo owner cares one bit about a nav system.

I'll be like totally shocked if Lexus built and all-out performance car and not a GT car.

M
    link title

In case nobody has caught this yet, here is the latest LF-A video.
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    Saw an article about the LF-A the otherday, but Edmunds never reportd it.

Anyway, It stated that the LF-A would debut in production form at the 2007 japanese F1 grandprix at Mt.Fuji as the pace car, but will go on sale for 2009 (not sure if its year 2009 or MY2009).

They also went on to state, that Lexus has dropped the aluminium body and are going all carbon fibre to meet a weight target of 1200kg. They also mentioned an increase of displacement in the V10.

Looks to me like the gloves are off...I will see if I can find the link and post it later.
    So for this considerably bigger car to weigh LESS, with a V10, 18-19" wheels, Lexus level luxury, plus state-of-the-art safety tech, plus have anything near competitive NVH material would be one of the greatest engineering feats of all-time! :shades:

Don't know much about carbon-fiber bodies.

But if anyone can do the unthinkable.... :confuse:

DrFill
  • dkaplan435dkaplan435 Member Posts: 23
    I've uploaded photos of the LF-A to

http://www.taxicabs.com/autoshow/chicago2007/Lexus/LF-A/

Click the photo to move to the next one!

I'll upload video & photos of the Supra later.

Dave
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    I put down a deposit on an LF-A this summer. This car is coming out and will compete against the F430. It will have 550 hp and an 0-60 time of under 3.5 seconds with a top end estimated at over 210 mph. An LFA recently set the lap record at Nurbringen, besting by .2 seconds the previous record, held by a Porsche GT-2.

The LF-A will be a supercar and only 500 per year are to be built. My exotic car lease guy told me to take delivery even if I no longer want the car since the demand already exceeds several years production with over a year to go before the car is available. He expects that, like F430s, this car will command a substantial premium over invoice on the resale market.

FWIW, I expect the price of the convertible version to be almost $200k.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    rumor is the LF-A could be 200k .atleast. first super luxury car from lexus will it really hurt sales of the 911 ferrari lambo i am beginning to think it will .

It looks so nice.
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    Many of us who can afford a high end car, I drive an Aston Martin Vantage, would like the convienence of local servicing. If you are not on one of the coasts or Chicago, good luck getting service for a Ferrari, Aston, etc. Lexus dealers, OTOH, are everywhere. Add legendary service (not the norm for exotics dealers), over the top performance and some of the top engineering in the industry and you have a winner.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The recent spy photos of the LF-A undergoing testing sure look like an evolved Toyota Supra to me. I wonder if there will be a Toyota Supra version?
  • huyracinghuyracing Member Posts: 6
    It looks bland. People who buy this car won't use the performance. Sure bragging rights is nice, but good luck catching the $70,000 Nissan GTR. Now, its supposed to cost at least $200,000! What does this car really have to offer???? I doubt this car will have the curb appeal of a Ferrari...

I just don't care anymore. Toyota used to be a highly respected performance car company, but not anymore. I seriously doubt they still have the capability to produce a good sports car. They seriously have no soul... did they sell it to the devil or what? Makes sense since they do dominate the auto industry...
This discussion has been closed.