Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

I had the iPod link installed on my 06 RL today. The good news was how amazing it sounds through the RL's excellent stereo. The bad news is that none of the iPod's data is displayed on the screen. However, the 1-6 buttons control various functions on the iPod (which sits in the glovebox) and the software adds speech software so it reads the MP3 tags for navigation as you move through artists, genres or albums/songs. Not a perfect solution but much better than anything else I could have come up with to pump my ipod thru the stereo. The price? Just $550 for the install and the kit. Such a deal! but I can't live without my iPod.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Wow, that is allot of work. How much did all the work cost? I think there comes a time when a car requires too much work and should be sold (my 2 cents). I am looking into buying a 2006 RL, but all the problems I read of give me pause. I have a 1998 BMW 740i with 63k miles, perfect condition. I have learned to stay away from the dealer for rountine maintenance, ie oil changes. They want to charge 100.00 for an oil change! :cry:
    I agree, re: struts. At 110k you are riding on mush. Even at 63K miles on my car (similar technology BMW 740i and looking a 2006 RL) the dealer told me the rear struts need replacing 'soon' to the tune of 1100.00 (ouch!). No way I am going to pay that for there is a repair shop (specializes in BMW's ect) will do it for 650.00 with same part! I think that anyone with an older RL should find a good repair shop and you will save allot of $$$'s for maintenance items, such as the struts the host talked about.
    James,
    Is the vibration hum common with new RLs?

Mike
    How common are these problems in RL's? I have read about vibrations, rattling in the dash ect.

Thanks
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for posting, avatar1. I've been very curious to hear how the iPod link performs. I'm sitting at my dealer for a 5,000 mile service (B level), and the service guy has no clue about the iPod link. Does anyone know whether it can be installed on the 2005, or just on the 2006 RL?
  • kgd_007kgd_007 Member Posts: 8
    The iPod kit also works with the 2005 RL. I have an appointment on Monday for the install. I believe that there is limited functions through the audio controls. I heard that the 1 - 6 buttons will perform some kind of functions, I believe that those buttons will control playlists on the BMW if the play lists are named 1 through 6. That would be acceptable. I am going to ask them to install the cable in the center console vs. the glove box though. It would be nice if you could use the selector wheel and the menu comands on the center console with the iPod screen showing up on the display, but at lease we can have a direct input to the stereo.

Kris
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    The side mirror control by the left of the steering wheel should be dead center , not on L or not on R.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    "The side mirror control by the left of the steering wheel should be dead center , not on L or not on R."

I'm afraid that isn't my experience. If the control is on the right side, I see the right curb as the mirror tilts - same with the left side. At dead center, neither mirror tilts when in reverse. An anomoly, perhaps, but dems my facts. I'll inquire when I go in for my first upgrade at 10K.

Otherwise, I haven't encountered a single problem with anything electrical except that the Nav system has misdirected me twice, therefore always under suspicion.
    The RL has behaved beautifully - smooth and wonderful!!

George
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    The side mirror control by the left of the steering wheel should be dead center , not on L or not on R.

The Owner's Manual advises you to set the switch in the center position to avoid accidentally moving the mirrors out of adjustment. However, it goes on to say that the automatic pivoting of the mirror to assist in parking only works if the selector switch is set on one mirror or the other. (Page 123 of the Owner's Manual.)
  • gtjacket67gtjacket67 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2005 RL that is a buyback from Acura. Acura has since sold the car and it is at a used car dealer, not an Acura dealer.. In service date on vehicle of 10/2004. Issue causing buyback was door locks recycling and continually running down battery. Acura issued TSB on this problem. Problem has been fixed, according to dealer, and remaining portion of 4 year factory warranty still valid with Acura.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can verify that the problem was corrected? Also, has anyone purchased a car that has gone through a buyback scenario? Anything that I should look out for?
  • tommyc1tommyc1 Member Posts: 5
    I have had the same one on both my 05 RL's (first one Acura took back because of problems). If it is on the drivers side of the dash board on bottom right corner believe it is part of the wiring harness that gets loose.
    They will tell you the A pillar need silicon lube however dash needs to be taken apart and harness fixed.
    Make sure the dealer has the $1 clip in stock otherwise its a 3-4 day way for the part to arrive.
  • tommyc1tommyc1 Member Posts: 5
    on my 05 RL this message always on...never have anything on passenger seat...anyone experiencing same problem ?
    dealer can't find problem.
    thanks
  • rldanrldan Member Posts: 4
    I have a problem with the keyless remotes in my 2006 Acura RL. When the remote switches from #1 to #2 (or visa versa) the car doesn't recognize the 'new' driver right away. The service guy at my dealer is telling me that it recognizes the last remote that locked the car, therefore when I don't lock the car in my garage and a different remote starts the car it is not recognized. This could be what is happening, but the manual (and common sense) says that the remote that is present when the car is started should determine which driver is recognized. Any thoughts?
    The service guy at my dealer is telling me that it recognizes the last remote that locked the car, therefore when I don't lock the car in my garage and a different remote starts the car it is not recognized.This could be what is happening, but the manual (and common sense) says that the remote that is present when the car is started should determine which driver is recognized. Any thoughts?

In my experience, both the manual and common sense are correct in this case. Logic says your service guy couldn't possibly be correct - what value would the system have if it only recognized the last driver, not the current driver! I've had a couple of instances where it didn't recognize the correct remote, but 99% of the time it's fine. I believe there is a procedure whereby you pair each remote separately so the system knows which is which. You may need to do that procedure again.
    Believe it or not the service guy was right! An unlocked car will default to the last driver to avoid the dilemma when both remotes are present. There are two ways to tell the car a new driver is present: 1) hit the unlock button on the remote or 2) Push 1 or 2 on the driver position memory panel on the door. Cest la vie!
  • jeffp1jeffp1 Member Posts: 7
    james39:

I am having the exact same problem at the same RPMs. Dropped off my 05 today. They called me this afternoon and said the tech heard it. The tech also drove an 06, and heard it on that one too. They weren't sure what to do...and basically chalked it up to being a normal noise of the car. So I called Acura Customer Care and they said I should go back and ride with the tech (as these noises are very subjective) and perhaps have them call the tech support line at Acura. Thus, I suppose I too will have to go back one or two more times.

And on top of that, when I picked up the keys and the invoice, it said they washed it and they had not. No chance to provide them feedfback as I picked it up at closing.

Love the car, but this hum/vibration is loud and annoying.
  • jtsjts Member Posts: 15
    Well guess what, I have an '05 with just over 7000 kms. on it and it alo ha a slight vibration at just over 1500rpm. Ive tried different scenarios
    but the bottom line is it's there only under load (in gear) and goes from 1500 to 1700 rpm. in any gear independant of speed and doesn' occur when you shift to neutral. I've about convinced myself it's due to a throaty exhaust that has a mild vibration. It is noticable as a vibration in the steering wheel and the gas pedal only, no noticable noise. I'll have my dealer look at it but my guess is it's normal and I can probably lve with it as the car is so good otherwise especially after my three E Classes spending so much time in the shop!!
    Believe it or not the service guy was right! An unlocked car will default to the last driver to avoid the dilemma when both remotes are present.

I checked, and you're correct. However, the logic still escapes me. If there's a dilemma when both remotes are present, what difference is there as to whether the car is locked or unlocked?
    If it's locked, the act of unlocking identifies the driver.

Only if the driver is the first to the door. If the passenger has a key fob and unlocks their door first, that sets the driver incorrectly.

Only if the driver is the first to the door. If the passenger has a key fob and unlocks their door first, that sets the driver incorrectly. I have friends who both have key fobs. They park in their driveway and always lock their car. As they come out the front door, he always hangs behind and locks the door. As a result, she generally gets to her door first. It took them a while to figure out why the settings were always her settings, not his.
    Suggestions to any Acura engineers who may be reading to solve the problem of recognizing the correct remote when both are present:

1) Wait for the driver's door to be opened, it will be rare that someone will enter through the passenger door and climb over the center console to drive.
    or
    2) Default to driver #1 when both are present.
    1) Wait for the driver's door to be opened, it will be rare that someone will enter through the passenger door and climb over the center console to drive.

Option #1 makes the most sense and shouldn't be that difficult.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926

I'll do you one better. Put the receiver in the driver's door or under the driver's seat (just somewhere in the driver cockpit) and whichever fob has the closer proximity "wins."
  • frank36frank36 Member Posts: 3
    well, I have the same problem, and the dealer replaced the transfer casing, next he is replacing a cable, that is being manufactured specifically for this problem, don't ignore it, I had to take it back 3 times before the service manager dug deep in to it....they still say it might not be fixed...so there yu go...the cable is about 2 weeks away before install. I have only about 1500 miles on it, love the car hate the noise. :sick:
  • jtsjts Member Posts: 15
    Let us know if that solves the problem, then I can pass it on to my dealer.Hope it works.
  • hgaumondhgaumond Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 RL and have the same problem, in the left light. Did you get any resolution? I do not think it is the bulb since it re-lights immediately. Any help would be appreciated.
  • hgaumondhgaumond Member Posts: 2
    Did you get any resolution to the problem. My problem is exactly the same on my 02 RL, however the light goes back on and stays on sometime for 30 or more min. Please let me know.
  • houstonrlhoustonrl Member Posts: 5
    I just had to have a front axle and bearing replace on my 2005 RL with 6500 miles. I began to hear a whine that progesively got worse as I was on a trip. As is usually the case I was 1000 miles from home when it started. Service Advisor said it was the first he had seen, but the parts alone were over $3k at his cost and took 2 days to get in.
    Still love the car and realize after I drove a loaner TL for a week how much better the RL is vs the TL.
  • james39james39 Member Posts: 5
    My guess is that teh vibration noise will get worse. Since my dealer put additional attachments on the fuel line the noise has disappeared. I first noticed the noise at 500 mi - took it to the dealer 3 times and the last time I had almost 5,000 mi. They got Acura national HQ involved so there should be a file on this problem. I doubt that it is an exhaust problem unless it is the fuel line that is rubbing the exhaust. Good luck - be tenacious with your dealer - James39
  • dsm05rldsm05rl Member Posts: 12
    Well - after Jordan Acura did some research on this, they did a fix that Acura seems to be telling dealers to do when the customer complains of dash rattles, and they installed something in relation to a wiring harness - but it didn't fix it. Finally got it to make the noise, and I drove straight to the dealer and Mike, the Service Manager jumped in and we drove for about 5 miles with him working through the dash trying to find the crackle. He gave me a TL to drive until it was fixed, and it took him about 5 days - but I think he nailed it - the tech notated the dash had been removed and additional "insulation placed against fire wall". The crackle is gone, however the dash still sounds like it's not 100% "tight" - but from what I'm reading on this site, Acura doesn't have a great reputation for getting their vehicles "solid" right off the bat -
    I am now having severe "creaking" from my seat. I'm not a 180 lb small guy, but it's kind of annoying as well - haven't decided if I want to push the issue with the dealer on this as well, cuz I'm hoping it's just the seat breaking in...anyone have thoughts on this? :confuse:
  • whitehousewhitehouse Member Posts: 1
    Interesting.....I have a 1999 RL and my left rear window doesn't work either AND I have a similar hum which I believe is in my ABS system. The only difference is that the light doesn't come on. Did you ever resolve your ABS problem. Can you tell me how to find the ABS fluid reservoir?
  • rl newbierl newbie Member Posts: 17
    It is finally cold in the northeast. My '05 RL windows were stuck this morning. I held the button down to lower the passenger side window. It eventually went down all the way and then would not come back up.

Solution: on the passenger side, hold the window button down for 5 seconds and release. Then hold the window button up for 5 seconds. This supposedly reprograms the window and gets it back in sync.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • hybrid3hybrid3 Member Posts: 22
    Have a '05 RL and love it. Haven't had any problem with the door handle unlocking after a car wash, a problem some people have experienced. However, if I have my cellphone in the same pocket or very close to my cellphone it will not unlock the doors. The cell phone seems to interfere with the signal.

Question on the '05 has there been a fix for the car beeping when you turn it off warning you the lights are on, even though they are set to auto?
  • cocopuffscocopuffs Member Posts: 6
    Grr. I just took delivery of a 2006 RL and yesterday got an iPod installation. After that, my "passenger seat airbag off" warning has been a fixture. I'm going in today to the dealer to see if they can fix it. Will let you know.
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    I am thinking of buying an '06 RL, but this discussion board has discouraged me.

Is the car worth $49K or should I go elsewhere. My Acura dealer is about 90 miles away, so I can't just jump in the car and go complain when I have problems.

Len
    Question on the '05 has there been a fix for the car beeping when you turn it off warning you the lights are on, even though they are set to auto?

As far as I know, there has been no fix for this. One person posted that they'd been told that no fix was even in the works. Too bad, since it is annoying in an otherwise great car.
    Is the car worth $49K or should I go elsewhere. My Acura dealer is about 90 miles away, so I can't just jump in the car and go complain when I have problems.

Even though I love my RL, I'm not sure I'd buy any car if the closest dealer was 90 miles away, unless the only closer dealers handled brands I'd never consider. Is there at least a Honda dealership closer? If so, that isn't so bad since they should be able to take care of most problems.
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    There is no luxury car dealer in my town, except Cadillac and Lincoln. Nissan, Honda, Kia, VW, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Subaru is it. That is one reason I bought the Lexus: reliability. But, I want something different.

Len
    Well, at least there's a Honda dealership. They should be adequate for most problems.
  • steve95008steve95008 Member Posts: 11
    I continue to get these "AFS Error" messages on my 05 RL. I have mentioned it everytime I take it in for service and so far,Acura does not have an explaination or a fix. It's mostly an annoyance as shutting off and restarting the engine has always cleared the error indication. Lately, I've been applying more pressure on Acura by making them pull the error codes and run diagnostics everytime it happens. Am I the only one still getting these? I haven't seen any posts since last June.
    P.S. - I'd stop pressuring Acura on this issue in exchange for a "AUTO mode headlight chime" fix!!! ;)
  • steve95008steve95008 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the phone number. I live in the SF Bay Area and often find the traffic flow information is not accurate. The XMNavTraffic folks will be hearing from me.
  • pappy164pappy164 Member Posts: 15
    I had this same issue and I can tell you that its nothing.

Above the center stack there is a light that will light up stating that the passenger airbag is off. This light only lights up when its off. That will also prompt a message on your LCD screen. These are actually service messages for your dealer, once that message appears because the passenger seat airbag turns off, that message stays on until you delete it. It will even pop up on the screen when the airbag is actually activated. My dealer told my the true way to check to see if the airbag was activated or not was to check that light on the center stack.

All those messages are just maintenence minders and they won't go away until you or the dealer delete them. Hope this helps.
  • davistreedavistree Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new RL. So far so good, but I have noticed that in the overhead console the green light on the "Door" switch will stay on even after all other interior lights have turned off. If I lock the car, the green light turns off. Normally, I wouldn't worry too much about this, but since RLs have had some battery problems, I don't want to take a chance that this is one of the slow leaks that could leave me with a dead battery. Anybody know if this is normal?
  • frank36frank36 Member Posts: 3
    I would not buy it, my car 05, with 1500 miles, been at the dealer for apporx 3 wks now...never ever agian I will buy an Acura product.
    I should have stayed with my LS 400....oh well.
    Car has got too many problems at this time. :mad:
  • zitfacezitface Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

I recently purchased a '98 RL. It seems to me that the trans is not locking up to high gear. At 70mph the TAC is at 2500 rpm. That seems high. Also the fuel mileage is very
    poor on the highway. Can someone give me something to compare with before I put myself at the mercy of the dealer to have it looked at?

Thanks in advance.
  • duck1146duck1146 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Rl was rear ended by someone on a cellphone. $7,000 later my navi syste (radio display) is not as bright as it was especially at daylight. Can someone help? I have tried checking the book.
    thanks for your time
    p.s. love my acura's - 3rd one - if fact, my aunt has my 91 legend
  • fighterwsofighterwso Member Posts: 15
    I've owned my 2005 RL for 10 months. No problems UNTIL -- I took it in for ~30K checkup. (B2 diag code) I asked them to take care of the 3 TSBs.

- After they installed the 3 TSBs, on my way home -- I get the “AFS caution”. (Active Front lighting System). This is quite annoying because the “AFS caution” continually flashes/distracts! The only way to get rid of it is to shut off the engine. Not going to happen on a Parkway! Sure, it goes away once you restart the engine. In less then 1 week it has come on 3 times.

- 10 months no problems – Install the 3 TSBs – AFS caution starts acting up? Coincidence? Acura – If you are reading – Please look into this!

- They also needed to replace an XM unit. The Nav traffic quit showing up. (At this point it was NOT an Acura issue.) I needed to "refresh" the unit on the XM web site. I did this 3 times. The XM radio stations worked fine – Just not the NavTraffic. I called XMRadio (1-800-XMRADIO). They needed to let their systems know that my new unit should get the XMTraffic information. Problem solved!
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    I've had my RL since December, 2004. Green light is normal and will not run down battery. You should be very happy with the RL. Despite some occasional quirks, I'm very pleased with mine!