Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Next year, they may have the Solstice Coupe out. Not that would be hot!
    The
    Civic Si should be out soon.

The Solstice....
    xkss, "Pontiac Solstice" #919, 19 Sep 2005 3:39 am

Loren
  • bigal3bigal3 Posts: 107
    You are right, there is nothing worse than getting stuck with a greedy car dealer. After ripping you off when they sell you the car, they will continue to squeeze your wallet when you bring the car back to the dealer for spare parts, service or repairs.

If you buy a Honda Civic, there are dozens of dealers nearby & there are always someone with the spare part in stock in case you need them. You can shop around for better prices & better service.

If you buy a Mitsu Eclipse, there is only 1 dealer around & there are limited spare parts in stock waiting for your car in case you need them. Your Eclipse may have to sit in their repair shop for weeks waiting for the spare part to be ordered or shipped from hundreds or thousands of miles away. And when it arrives, the sky is their limit when they are preparing your repair bills.

If they are greedy & rip you off when they sell you the car, you can bet that they will be greedy & rip you off when you take the car to the dealer for service or repair.

I rather be boring when I take the Honda for service....than to get excited with the repair bills when I take my Mitsu to the dealer.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 975
    Hi, folks,

A number of posts were removed this evening. Please remember that civil, on-topic discourse is expected here. Posts that don't fit that description will be removed.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Isnt the main selling point of Consumer Reports that they are independent?
  • I have seen a few dealers offer the GT wit the Premium Sport packages at $27,800 - a grand under the $28,800 MSRP. but then I am in the DC area. What are people paying and where? I am a serious bargin hunter.
  • skyyvskyyv Posts: 13
    I'm in Iowa and I've got a 2006 loaded 6 speed on order from Charlie Zook Motors in Sioux City, Iowa that I will be paying $26000 + ttl for. My sales guy has been absolutely fantastic - no funny business and very prompt when it comes to returning emails and phone calls. The other really great thing about this dealer is they only requested half of the deposit the dealer here in Des Moines wanted along with selling the car for about $1500 less than the lowest possible price I could get in my area. In addition, I have in writing that if the car comes in and I don't want it for ANY reason, I can renege on the deal no strings attached and my money will be completely refunded.
  • I never had a car that premium gas was recommended. Do I HAVE to use premium? Will it hurt the car if I dont? Who is actually pumping premium every time they fill up their 2006 GTs? :shades:
  • skyyvskyyv Posts: 13
    I've heard some people say that you can use a grade that is slightly lower but personally I wouldn't do it.

I intend on buying premium when I get my GT but since I will only have to fill up about once a month, the increase in cost isn't going to be that horrible.
  • i was just curious if people that own an 06 eclipse gt could give me an idea about their satisfaction with it??? are people generally satisfied with it, unsatisfied, satisfied but not thrilled? anything would help. im considering the gt or maybe a scion tc and im trying to get some input about the gt to help me make up my mind. i own a 97 gst and im unsure if the new gt has been treating people as well as my gst has treated me. any help would be much appreciated. thanks
  • vsnl7vsnl7 Posts: 4
    I bought this new ECLIPSE 2006 GT 2 weeks ago and I am already having problem with it. PRobably that is is the reason they came wup with that warranty plan and the dealer says "YES, THERE WAS A PROBLEM WE FIXED IT, AND SOMETIMES THINGS HAPPEN" you can take the car now.

The problem I had was over the weekend it started flooding the carpets under the dashboard on passengers side. Took it to the dealer, they said it happened because of a clogged air conditioning drainage. I told them, sice the day I bought this car I have not used the Air Conditioning, how would it get clogged so soon, if at all it does get clogged because of dirt. The answer from dealer was "Sometimes things happen and we fixed it and now you can take the car". I do not understand how they would like to take me a car whose carpets got flooded and bulges out due to dampness. Doesn't it lead to possible rusting and corrosion on the base board or even mold formation.

I am just not ready to take the car and they want me to pick the car by tomorrow.

Please guide me if there is anything that I can do to resolve this issue and get it replaced. I am very unhappy with the state of things with Mitsubishi, about how they train their dealers and deal with customers.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

-Sunny
    I forgot to mention that it rained over the weekend and thats when it started flooding under the dashboard.

When I asked the dealer to expidite this case with Mitsubishi, first of they are reluctant and explains me that under warrantee they will fix the problem and give me the car back. When I asked the car is 12 days old, and they repeasted the same line "Sometimes things happen". I do not understand how would I understand the logic of this explanation.
  • Bought my GT a few days ago and I am having a ball. It really is a nice car. Get the premium sport package if you can. I almost didnt but the stereo and leather seats let me know I did the righ thing by getting them. Wait until you see the blue lights in the dashboard - beautiful. And tap the gas to change lanes and watch the other cars get small in your rearview mirror in a hurry! And you already knows it looks sweet as hell! :shades:
  • bigal3bigal3 Posts: 107
    Sorry to hear about the flooded carpet in your brand new GT (2 weeks only). If the car is designed or assembled properly, it is very hard to understand how the air condition drain can be clogged in a brand new car. If the drain can clog when the car is brand new, it will possibly clog again in the future.

The air conditioner unit is inside the dashboard & there are a lot of wires & electronic components inside, it is quite possible that moisture had condensed inside the dashboard & may cause rust & corrosion.

Beside rusting on baseboard & mold underneath the carpet, you will also have to worry about rust & corrosion inside the dashboard.

It is a brand new car only 2 weeks old, Mitsubishi should replace it with a new car.
  • I was searching online for aftermarket exhaust systems for the new Eclipse GT. I really do not like anything that sounds like a "rice-burner" I would really like the deep sound that a V8 puts out. My brother has a 2003 mustang GT with a Mac Cat-back system on it and it sounds really good. The deep "muscle-car" sound. Anyone know of any exhaust that I could get a deep sound from??
    No resolutions so far, and dealer gave me the car back with wet carpets and wet dash stating the reason that it is not a big problem, its just air conditioning drainage clog. Few questions arise from their explanation:

The stated its a clog, and they do not know what was material that clogged it. Their guess was "it could be anything, maybe spider web or dust. But you said you car was covered all the time, so it could be spider web".

First of all I do not understand, if its a air conditioning drainage clog, why would it leak inside, and if at all it does leak it should be because of condensation and that happens only when the air conditioning is on. But in this case I have never switched on the air conditioning. So there is no question of condensation of moist air.

Secondly, if the leak was rain water because of the clog or not, the rain water entering the car itself is a problem in a long run as it is pretty caustic and impure. So I do not understand why the dealer does not think its a big problem.

Yes I had to pick up the car as the arguments with dealer were futile, and in fact the sales manager was off on the day when I was called to go and speak to them. So had to explain the whole situation anew again to Asst. Sales Manager and he said all he can do is pass the message to his manager.

All I am asking the dealer is to cooperate with me to take this case up to Mitsubishi and let the Mistsubishi answer this situation. I want to reach their General Manager, as I was told by the customer rep at Mitsubishi customer service. And that can happen only through the dealer.

I am running out of time, and resources and nothing looks positive. IT looks like a one bad decision to give a chance to Mitsubishi from its down trending business, and buy this PROBLEM.
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    to play around. Since I'll get my post pulled if I blatantly spell it out (even if it helps you out), I'll give you some hints - who made your car? forum.com . Anyway, I've not spent much time there, but I did see at least one mention of a new eclipse with water entering into the floor board. This post mentioned a faulty firewall between the engine compartment and the inside of the car?? Maybe you can get some answers and/or advice there.

PS I would, at the very least, make them replace my carpet and floor mats. After the problem has been fixed. Good luck!!
    All they did was sucked the water out and gave the car back to me, and said I can contact Mitsu directly. When I did that Mitsu customer says I can do so only though dealer. A real catch 22.

I want to know rain water entering inside, is it serious issue. Dealer says it is not.

I will try to get to that forum posts that you mentioned, but if you can get me any pointers to those popstings that would be great. Thank you very much for the posts lhess and bigal.
  • We have had out new Mitsubishi Eclipse 2006 since August 23 our 35 th anniversirty. This is my wife car and she just loves it. She has put 1734 miles on the car so far. We looked at the G6, Crossfire,350Z and R8. She liked the GT the best because she had a 1992 Dodge Stealth that was made by Mistubishi and she loved that car, so the Eclipse was the winner. We have had no problems yet and hope to have none in the future.Price paid was 27,350 for the GT with everything, except the 10" speaker in the back. Our dealer bought the speaker back just for the sell. My wife wonted more open room in the back. We still have the up graded stereo system but no 10" speaker. The car is fun to drive and does good on gas mileage. :)
  • If the dealer bought it back, how much did he knock off the price? I havve the same fully loaded GT and I paid $27,500 with the Sunset Pearl paint which is an extra charge.
  • I bought the first one that our local dealership had delivered (GT, 6spd, sunset pearl). Have already made my 4th payment, and haven't had a single cause for concern. I absolutely LOVE this car. I don't feel at all like I've downgraded vehicles, even though my previous car was a Saleen Mustang (which was totalled, btw).
  • My dealer said the package was 1395.00 and he did see a listing for just the speaker. So he said how about 675.00 for the speaker and I'm thinking that speaker can't be worth more than a 100.00 so I said sold. He did say that he would just put the speaker in another GT and get his money back. I don't know for sure what he did but I was happy.
    Just got back from the N.C. mtns. and the GT did great on those mountain road. I got to do all the driving which was fun. Now have 2,371 miles on the car. So far no complaints.
  • Does anyone know the paint code number for "Sunset Pearlescent" used on the 2006 Eclipse??????
  • Skyyy, I traded my 98 GSt which i owned since new for a 06 eclipse, I love this car though I stil miss the turbo from my gst. I have around 8000 miles on the 06 and its a thrill to drive (cant wait for the aftermarket mods to come out ) I highly reccomend this car i have had no problems what so ever. So if you are on the fence of what to buy fall the side the eclipse is on !
  • anyone know of a good exhaust system for the new eclipse GT....a deep sound....not a tuner / "ricer" sound. (im tryin to get a v8 sound out of this car!)
  • Hi!

I am looking for some driving experience from existing Eclispe 2006 GT owners.

I test drove this car around the mountains of Saratoga/SF-Bay Area/and on long stretches too.

Cornering
    enters corners with less confidence but pulls away out of the corner with more grunt
    I found since it is a front wheel drive car its corenring ability was limited and the back screatched, as it is so much lighter in th abck, but to be fair I was entering the 25mil zone corner at 50, I use to have an SLK and compared to that the eclipse handling in corners is really not up to par, but for the price you for the car it is probably up there with the best.. Dont get me wrong it stays with the top players so far as cornering, but is not the best.
    as I was cornering an pulling out of the corner there was a boxster behind me that struggled to keep up, as I pulled away from it in the long strecthes, I could see at times that the boster was taking the corners with more eas, this is just my visual inspection and I could be wrong
    I noticed several times the engine over Torque causing a difference in speed between the left and right tires/wheels, and it feels for a second the car is being pulled to the left and suddenly to the right. The car has so much Torque that when you put your foot down the Torque problem occurs and causes the car to sway left and right
    This car should ahvve been four wheel drive, it would have smoked the compitition

Take Off

This car can take off, probabaly not as fast as some of the tubo cars, like slk, 350z, etc, but if you arent experiences withhow much acceleration to apply, you will cause the front tires to spin and then lose on your 0-60 performance
    seems sluggish at times and it miss times, I tried the sutomatic and the steptronic shift, I got on average better take off performance when using an automatic and left the sporttronic shifting alone
    it seems on avergae, and averga to high poerformer in the 0-30mph range, maybe it stays up there with some of its compititors, but then it hits un-real amount of power from 30-60, it sceam towrds the second leg of the 0-60, 30-60, this is probabaly because it isnt turbo charged and hence there is a delay for the massive torque to come screaming in. All in all it didn't feel like I was missing my SLK so far as the power

Top Speed Take Off
    awsome car here, anytime you want to accelrate from 60-100 it does it, and it jsut does it, probabaly a real muscle car here, it reminds me of a tough V8, but I guess at 3.8L V6 it is getting up there

Exterior Design
    great back coupe design
    I would have done a better job ont he front grill designa nd the lights, the grill looks too ordinary and the hood should have had some peaks/bumps to indicate there is a mean machine beneath
    The side view mirror is in the wrong place it should have been further away from the driver, ie further towards the corner of the door, they really screwed this one up

Interior Design
    Has to be leather, and the rest is awsome, except for the many blind spots, and the head rest seems not to provide adequate support for the neck area, some mods needed, but those you can get cheaply try katzkin.com
    it is best in black I think

Pricing
    If you can't afford a ferrari, but want the same kind of performance fo a third or less of the price you would get the corvette. The eclipse is in the same line of thought, cars that give you this kind of performance, cost way more the cheapest, is 350z at 10k more, or G35 at ecen more, and then it jsut gets worse in price wise with other more exotic cars.
    I haven't bought one yet, but ive got it down to 22k-23k for the sprots package GT V6, there are only three mitsubish dealers here in the Santa Clara county, SF-Bay Area, and you can guess who the dealers are, I am still dealing with them and my guess is I will get it out the door for 23k+tax, GT V6 that includes the sports package.
  • I need a car cover and I am wondering if the one the dealer sells is the bit as far as fit is concerned. I need one that can hold up to being outdoors in winter all the time. It retails for $200. Should I look at some of the aftermarket covers? They get as high as $400 plus
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Great write-up.

To add to it, check out our Editor-in-Chief's blog - Karl on Cars. He talks about the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT here: http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8c46f

You can add your comments and ask him some questions there.
  • Has anyone bought the car cover thast Mitsubishi offers? They told me that it was made of Tyvek and its $200. They do throw in the lock and bag and shipping is free. I think Tyvek is best if you have no garage and there is harsh weather. Suggestions?
  • Has anyone else had a problem with their traction control? I have the '06 GT model, and this morning the traction control warning lights and the check engine light came on. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to have it checked out.
  • Just to follow up on my last post about the traction control issue. When I started my car up that afternoon, the traction control warning lights did not come on, but the service engine light remained on. After taking it in to the dealer yesterday, they said the computer had a misfire code on it, but they did not see any problems. So, they reset the service engine light, and said to call back in if it happens again. They said it could have been caused if i had really stepped on the gas while the engine was cold. When it happened, I was starting from rest going uphill, and the engines revved up to 4000 rpm. At the same light this morning, I checked the temperature gauge and the engine was half way to it's normal operating temp. So, at this point I'm thinking/hoping it was just a fluke thing.