Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• Options
    dawn7dawn7 Member Posts: 7
    Are you sure you can sell those? Better call Mitsubishi and ask. According to the report they filed with NHTSA, none can be sold until they find out and fix the problem with the brake failures.
  • Options
    dawn7dawn7 Member Posts: 7
    From AutoWeek, this was Before the Stop Sale Order:

I think Mitsubishi should have waited until the quality was good instead of rushing this to market.

" Mitsubishi launches 2006 Eclipse early; automaker counting heavily on new model's success
    5/19/05

LOS ANGELES -- Mitsubishi, in an urgent need to revive sales and its brand image in this country, is putting its redesigned 2006 Eclipse coupe on sale 10 days earlier than planned."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102418
  • Options
    wag314wag314 Member Posts: 1
    I caught a glimpse of one on I-44 going through St. Louis. It was on a car hauler w/ other mitsus' I was surprised to see an actual california license plate. Nothing to show that it was a dealer plate from what I could see.

Jason
  • Options
    lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    just teasing....I don't want a forum war here!! Oddly enough I bought my 01 Spyder when I was 32 and while doing some reading on the car, the target age for it was 32. Bingo. Although the car was an eyecatcher and it got looks from everyone (the old convertible classic - red with a black top), it was mainly the older crowd that would really comment on it. I had a couple in their 50's question me as to reliability, did I like it?, all that stuff because they had been considering buying one. Almost everyone that truly admired it was 5 to 10 years older than me right up to the trade, so we're talking folks in their 40's and beyond.

I wonder if mitsu wouldn't be better off trying to position the eclipse into a more mature sports car offering (I liked the FWD because I drove it year round, but the younger crowd does not like it). I think the spyder should be offered in GT only, make it a true roadster, drop that useless back seat, and compete it with the z4's...

Develop that lancer evo into the tuner car. give it all those things that the tuners want, keep it light, keep it less costly.... I think they are co-mingling them somewhat when it comes to marketing and it just doesn't work for them.
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Thanks dawn7.

That's not good. On the intro of the G3, there was an almost immediate recall on a battery cable, IIRC, and also on a tranny cooler hose coupling. It affected Dodge and Chrysler variants as well.

Mitsu has an unfortunate history that way. It's part of the overall problem, especially with regard to resale numbers, lease residuals, etc.

Really though, I think that their more recent problems have come from a complete lack of brand identity, and some serious blundering in search of a marketable presence. Certainly, from 2000 up until this Eclipse, I thought their styling direction was abominable at best.
  • Options
    We crossed in the mail there!

They really did try to position the G3 as a boomer car. Going to a V6 and abandoning the turbo, deleting the AWD, styling to a new audience, easing the cockpit (major mistake to me; the G2 cockpit is the best of any car IMO), etc., all was aimed at broadening the appeal.

The EVO definitely fits the mold: seriously pre-tuned. They have to upgrade the safety ratings on that platform, though. Take the least safe mainstream Japanese sedan available and pump its engine up on steroids? Not a great combo, to my mind! ;-}

But that really leaves them w/o a great sport coupe. I'd keep the V6, only instead of a 3.8, I'd try to massage something smaller and lighter, I'd take some length and height out of the package, and look to shave a good 700 pounds off the finished product. The styling is mostly in the right direction, IMO, but it's still kind of busy. The G2 was much cleaner, with less gratuitous trim and no icky chrome (that's a personal pet peeve, chrome spells t-a-c-k-y to me). I definitely would offer the AWD again. It's the wave of the future, I believe.
  • Options
    pilotdog68pilotdog68 Member Posts: 4
    i agree that it's an improvement, but personally i liked the 2nd generation best
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Turn out the lights, the parties over. Where I live, two Mitsubishi dealerships gave up on this make. One in my city, and one in the next city which is even larger. One new one did open within 25 miles of here, but it has the look of temporary to it. Smallish work area and parts garage. I for one, will not be buying a car which may have a third of the dealerships left, and not be able to be fixed if on the road. If they are rare on the Central Coast of Calif, then how could you hope to find a service in say the Mid-West, or even in bordering states, other than the largest of cities? The Eclipse looked interesting in photos, so that is why I stopped by the dealership in Santa Maria, which is a city of over 80K to see if they had it on display. To my amazement all the Mitsu's are gone, gone, gone. :cry:

So let's see, there is no more Camaro, Celica, 240SX,Prelude, ahhhh, the list goes on and on. Mustang is the last soldier of sporty, great looking and affordable coupes??? Heck, I may get a used sports car again. My used Miata has served me well - a little on the smallish side, but once shoe horned in, fun to drive.

Loren
  • Options
    ironchikironchik Member Posts: 1
    Ive been following this for a while now. Its time to trade in the mitzi 2000 GT for the 2006. Thought Id be happy (again) with the styling, price, performance.
    Im in Ohio. Each dealership around me got 2 cars in over Memorial Wkn......look but cant drive. Didn't even have brochures available yet...still dont. Waiting, waiting waiting for stock to drive/buy but no one can give me a firm date but Im told mid june. Wonder if this has to do with break thing I read above. Prices seemed a bit higher than before. A loaded GT for $28,700. One dealer even mentioned a 5000 markup....I told him thats nuts. Was hoping to wheel and deal a bit but its gonna be tough...dont see them going down for a while, however kinda glad as maybe it will deter the teenagers.....for a while there, thats all I saw driving them and I kinda felt like I was driving a "kid" car. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    You do not, repeat do not want to give a dealer any additional mark-up on this car. It simply isn't going to be that hot a ticket. Wait a month or so for the product to hit for real, and then go wheel and deal.

Personally, I would not put penny one into any new Mitsu without incentives like crazy, and I'm somewhat of a Mitsu fan!
  • Options
    Well considering the dealerships are folding up, or dropping the line, I for one will rule out this car. I had a Dodge Stealth, made by Mitsubishi, and it was one fun car, with lots of style and good road manners. The quality was fair, with some problems likely due to it being one of the very first cars. I was thinking about this new Eclipse, but no longer. Too many of the larger dealers jumping ship and only one smallish operation around here now. These are sad days for Mitsi'. They haven't run up against this much trouble since their planes met with B29's in WWII. As for the price, it is too much indeed. Right now, as an example, GM has for this month, all cars on sale for employee prices, which is around an 18% discount, I think it is. A Cadillac CTS starts at $28,856.05. Yes, it is not an Eclipse, and styling is different, but really a Cadillac price on a Mitsi'? Or you can buy a Mustang GT for that, or a starter BMW when on sale in that price range.
    Oh well, sad to see another car line leaving America, but it is not always an easy market as they think.
    Loren
  • Options
    Too bad another one may be leaving America. Miracles do happen, so there is a slim chance of Mitsubishi hanging on in USA, so the post should have read, " may " be leaving. I am basing this on the local market here on the Central Coast of California, which should be a strong market for any Japanese car make. This is a big area for all imported cars, including European autos. The presence of dealerships is dwindling rapidly. The car may be OK, the warranty is strong, but I need to see the dealerships thriving. If that happens, I will consider an Eclipse some day. I do like the fact that they have their own look, instead of the all too many clones out there.
    Loren
  • Options
    bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    I was talking to the Mitsu manager in Vancouver (W 2nd Ave. dealership) last week. I was told that they are planning to sell the 2006 Eclipse GS with MSRP base price of around C$32000 (equiv. to US$25,400). Compare to the U.S. Website price of under US$20,000, Canadians have to pay over 25% more than the US price.

Although I am also Mitsu fan, this really make me sick. With a lot of choices on the market : Acura RSX, Mazda RX8,...the 2006 Eclipse is really a Rotten deal. I am leaving without turning my head,......Mitsu just lost another customer.
  • Options
    Got any updates on the recalls (brakes problem) ? Mitsu is well known for problem with quality control & poor reliability. I am not surprised. :lemon:

Eclipse is no limited edition exotic car, whats all the rumors about mark-up at the dealer? In fact, there is still a parking lot full of unsold Eclipse (previous model) at the Vancouver dealer, what make them think that this model can sell ?

Right now, all car dealers have problem selling their cars & are giving away discounts & incentives. Don't worry, I am not going to pay any mark-up.

I have to drive my car everyday & I need a reliable one. Mitsu....I would rather have a short factory warranty but I never have to use it, than a long warranty because I really need it (i.e. have to use it all the time). I don't want to get a car which will spend more time in the repair shop than my driveway.
  • Options
    meatslimmeatslim Member Posts: 1
    ote, im not trying to offend any females here.

the last generation of the eclipse (2000-2005) lost a lot of fans because it just was not as aggressive as the 1gs or 2gs. A lot of people called it a girls car. again, not trying to be sexist, but most of its buyers are females. i dont wanna offend any men out tehre that are driving it either, looks aside, it still packs a pretty good punch under the hood.

the last generation was a lot less aggressive-looking than the 1-2g. what do you guys think about this new one? does it reclaim its attitude, or is the eclipse just turned 'cute' forever.
  • Options
    bought it used, drove it 4 years and did nothing to it other than regular maintenance. brakes were still good at trade a couple of months ago and there was nothing going amiss in the car. It was a refreshing change from the low-quality, rattle-trap pontiacs I had always driven. I only traded because of the impending body style change (prices on the old body style usually bottom out about that time) and got a really good trade-in price. Sold on the used lot of the dealership within a month. I don't think Mitsu is as bad as everyone thinks, at least not in my market.

PS Most of the eclipses in my area are driven by men (i'm talking 00 & up). 2 spyders both owned by men.
  • Options
    when it comes out next year. I've got an rx8 at the moment, but I tell everyone that I'm only providing a foster home until I can get the new convertible!! I can't wait to see some pictures of it!!
  • Options
    I owned the Chrysler variant of the '01 GT (Sebring LXi coupe). It also had two recalls and a few TSBs. Other than routine service, it never spent an unscheduled day in the shop, and the items were covered at service intervals without my having to ask. I've had two Mitsu-based products and had good records with both.

Recalls don't bother me terribly, provided I know the facts and the remedies, but they are potentially a coffin nail for a struggling company. I really think Mitsu US qualifies right now as a struggling company.
  • Options
    and Ramey in Beckley, WV had a liquid silver gt, auto, no leather...stickered for $25,???, but they put "market adjustment" stickers on their cars bringing it to $28,???. I really like the way the car looks in person and I was surprised at the sticker (forget the "market adjustment" - I wouldn't buy from this dealer under any circumstances) price. I will await the spyder next year, but would like it to be similarly equipped to this one - I'm not a leather fan, but probably would prefer a 6 spd. So, I suspect I'm looking at $30K, give or take, to get the convertible. About the same as the current model.

I personally think this car is priced very well. I drove a crossfire when they first came out and there was no way I was gonna pay close to $40K to get another 5 to 10 hps (my 01 spyder had 200, but later gt models had 210, i think) and that cheesy pop-up fin-thing on the back, not to mention just outright UGLY! Our Chrysler place still has 3 or 4 2004 Crossfires and I know why!!

Really liked the new eclipse!!
  • Options
    I am a Mitsu fan & I agree with wale that we should help to pull the struggling company out of the coffin. But I feel sick when the Mitsu Vancouver dealer (on West 2 Ave) told me that Canadians have to pay a 25% mark-up for the Eclipse (compare to the US price now posted on US website). I am not going to feed a dog that bite his master's hand. The Eclipse recall is bad...but can be forgiven. When the RX8 & RSX are awarding their customers with lower prices & discount incentives, The greedy Eclipse rip-off is really the nail to his own coffin. :mad:
  • Options
    1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I really don't think they are in a position (Mitsu dealers) to add "market adjustments" to the stickers. They should price the cars fairly, and then increase the MSRP year by year if the car ends up being a hit with the general public. I think a lot of people will go to the Mitsu dealer specifically to check out this car (that otherwise wouldn't even consider a Mitsu), and then they will see this dealer mark up, and probably laugh as they leave the dealer to head over to the Honda, Toyota, Nissan, (insert any other here) to look at something else.
  • Options
    the price on all their vehicles. They had a few 2005 eclipses left on the lot too and even though I didn't look at them, I can guarantee they have a bump sticker on them too. As I said, I'll never buy from Ramey...was just in the area and wanted to see if they had one. This particular dealer did have some dealerships here in Summersville but sold part and moved the others out because they couldn't sell anything. The sales people tell you just to "ignore that sticker, we knock that off the car first thing." I laughed in their face and left as obviously most other people did as well.

The dealer I will eventually get an eclipse from has promised me that there will be no mark-ups from day one sales.
  • Options
    Bingo for you!

Don't ever give your business to a dealer that routinely uses ADM stickers. That's a slime tactic, IMO, and should be a warning sign as to what you can hope to expect throughout the sales and service experience.

Look, I'm all for Mitsu coming back and making things right, but no mfr should be propped up save on its own merits.
  • Options
    Swung through Blue Ridge Nissan Mitsu lot last night on the way home from an outing. BUMP STICKERS on the new eclipses again. They had 3 GT's, blue, silver and the PR orange (wow!! That one looked great!!), but they had added a $699 Blue Ridge Environmental Package? and a market adjustment of some amount (I can't remember exact numbers), putting them all at $30K.

The bump stickers made me mad, the salesman called me "HONEY" which made me madder, I asked about the bump stickers and he told me I wouldn't have to pay it, I asked "why put them on then?", "Because all dealers do it!" I said not the ones I BUY from and LEFT!!

You'd think these dealers would be doing all they can to promote Mitsu and get things going for them instead of worrying about lining their own pockets.

EVERYONE WHO WANTS A NEW ECLIPSE - DON'T BUY FROM THESE DEALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Wytheville VA!!
  • Options
    When lhess gets mad with $699 rip-off, you know how I feel with a $3000 "Canadian Mitsu mark-up". :mad:

At least the US salesman call him "honey" & told him he wouldn't have to pay it. The Canadian salesman (West 2nd Ave in Vancouver) told me "we don't care how much they are selling in US...that is company policy & there is nothing he can do". :( :mad:

They are not even going to carry any GS....because GT have fatter profit margin.
  • Options
    "At least the US salesman call him "honey" & told him he wouldn't have to pay it."

lhess did say the salesman was a he, so I am going to assume that lhess is female. If a salesMAN called me (a male) honey, I had better be getting a heck of a bargain price!!!
  • Options
    that was just the invironmental package. They were bumping $25,??? cars up to nearly $30K. Doesn't matter about numbers - I don't bite on those games.

PS lhess - SHE NOT HE!!
  • Options
    cindypcindyp Member Posts: 2
    Well I purchased the new eclipse and let me tell you the dealers are definitely marking up these cars but I found away to avoid the mark ups! First of all the orange like color is $130 more but the dealer already started by telling me it was $2000 more! But if you print out what it says from the official site they will give you that price. So thats what I did. I made up my entire car on the internet site and brought it with me and they gave me exactly that price. Now I do think the car is over priced to begin with but I am getting a fully loaded car for what I would barely be able to pay for the lowest of a better brand car.
  • Options
    If so, what do you think? I'm assuming you got the orange? That's the best-looking one I've seen!!

Good for you on going in with the guns loaded. I hate to see dealers do this and I hate even more for people to actually pay it!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hfpieratthfpieratt Member Posts: 11
    I'm scratching my head wondering why this car doesn't have the AWD like the Lancer Evolution. The 3.8 is a huge motor for this size car but it would power an AWD righteously! If i'm not mistaken wasn't the prototype AWD with the rears being hybrid electric assist?
  • Options
    I read an article (forget where) that people are saying that it is easy to spin the wheels and lose traction upon take offs with the V-6 model. AWD would definitely help this situation. I think that Mitsu should make AWD an option on both the 4cyl and 6cy models, and offer a dealer installed (warrantied) turbo for the 4cyl.
  • Options
    My deepest aprology to lhess....

Look like all Mitsu dealers (US & Canadians) treat all customers (male & female) alike....bump up the price & slap with a hugh mark-up.

I will let them play with their own coffin nails....I am turning my eyes to RX8 or RSX.
  • Options
    I just bought an rx8 in March and I love it. I traded an 01 Eclipse spyder GT and though I really like the eclipse, the rx8 is definitely more of a sports car. Knowing what my 01 sometimes did (front wheel spinning and torque steer) with 200 hps and front wheel drive, I have wondered how this 260 hp monster is truly going to handle. I will take a hard look at the 07 spyder when it hits and if there are no big problems going on with the eclipse, I might bite. No matter when or if I buy, I will pay no more than sticker and, hopefully, less!!
  • Options
    Great choice, lhess. I was planning to get the RX8 last year...but my plan was put on hold when I heard that there will be revolutionary new BMW3 & Eclipse coming out this year.

Although the new BMW3 is a bargain (extra horses at no extra bucks), the coupe won't be available until next year. The new Eclipse looks nice, but I was really pissed when the the Canadian dealer in Vancouver slapped an extra 25% mark-up on the US MSRP.

When both BMW3 & RX8 take pride in achieving the perfect balanced weight distribution of 50 - 50. I also wonder how the Eclipse will handle with 260hp...but with a weight distribution of 65 - 35?

The RSX only got 4 cylinders.......Right now, I am turning my attention back to the RX8.
  • Options
    on them right now. I bought mine new (2004 in March 2005) and am completely pleased with the car, the price I paid, and my payment. I feel as you do, there is no way I will buy a marked up car unless I'm filthy rich and it's a 1 of 3 Bentley. I liked my eclipse and I really would like to see Mitsu get it together and succeed, but the dealers pulling these stunts certainly won't help them!!! I normally don't do charity.

Look hard at the 8 and get a 6 spd, not the auto!!
  • Options
    jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Ignore ADM and make an offer around invoice for the car. The dealer will then counter with an offer that does not include ADM. If the dealer doesn't move on price, say "Good by".
    People that get upset by ADM are hopelessly niave. If the car is truly in short supply, the first adopters do get to pay a premium price...we call that " the market place".
  • Options
    cindypcindyp Member Posts: 2
    No I actually got the car in white, my husband said it looked more professional, I liked them both! Also I attended a Mitsubishi bbq this weekend and it save me $500 on the car just for being there so look into those type of things you never know!
  • Options
    i haven't seen one in person yet. Nice to see some other female car enthusiasts out there. Now if we could just get them to quit sprawling the half-naked women on all the covers of the cool car mags we'd be getting somewhere. I don't care who wants to show up naked and where, but it's a little emabarrassing when you really want to buy for the car articles.

Enjoy your Eclipse. I'm a convertible fan and will probably wait until next spring for the spyder.
  • Options
    That was harsh and I see why it's not here anymore, but there was a sentiment expressed I simply have to agree with: routine use of ADM sticker? Walk away. No questions, no bull session, no negotiation, no method, no guru! Let them pull their junk on someone else.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Hmmn. Let's see. This months Car and Driver has a road test of the new, $28K Mitsu Eclipse GT V6. They also have a test of the $30K Toyota Avalon Touring.

The Avalon, a full size vehicle with gobs of passenger space, weighs but 23 lbs more. The two essentially tie in all acceleration measures, except the Avalon has a higher top speed by 4 MPH. They stop nearly identically, from 70 MPH in 182 or 183 feet. Oh, but the Avalon tested with 8 MPG better than the Eclipse. The Eclipse does pull in an amazing two hundreths of a G better on the skidpad.

This is a sports car worth my $28 grand? Id rather spend another two grand and get the Avalon Touring, that way, I'd have allegedly sports car performance, and be able to take my friends to the Jersey Shore instead of needing two cars. And gas would be cheaper too.

Not impressive on paper. Hopefully, I'll have time to test drive soon, and the paper impressions will disappear.

~alpha

PS-whats up with those awful taillights?
  • Options
    Hmmm, rolling bedroom (even the reviews describe it thusly, as in "will put you to sleep"), or overweight, oversized GT? Hmmmmm...

Personally, I'm thinking neither, but I have to laugh that one would be shopping the other, alpha. I think you may be having a Toyotaclismic episode there...
    [-P
  • Options
    chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The Eclipse looks great in person, but pretty bad on paper. I read that C&D. Having read it, I'd take the Avalon Touring. Whoa. I feel old. Remember how cool the early 90's Eclipses were?
  • Options
    over anything toyota at the moment. The only ones rivaling toyota for BORING is GM. That solara (people actually call that a sports car) has got to be the ugliest thing on 4 wheels at the moment. I'll take the eclipse - ain't looking for passenger room and, honestly, who is REALLY worried about gas mileage when you shop these kind of cars. I have the worst mpg car I've ever owned at the moment and I LOVE IT.
  • Options
    Well, if I'm looking at a fairly stylish GT (coupe or 2+2) in the first place, I'm certainly not looking at a dowdy (albeit vastly improved) sedan, regardless of what numbers the sedan can post.

I dunno, Chris, maybe you could get me in an Avalon, but I think it'd have to be bound and gagged and in the trunk!
    }-]
  • Options
    You are right. I was also quite impressed by the looks of the Eclipse...until I read the spec. more carefully :
    1) A weight distribution of 65 - 35 ?
    2) Front wheel drive ?
    3) Weight 3538 lbs ?

What type of car weight over 3500 lbs, have a weight distribution of 65 -35, driven by the front wheels & have 260 hp ? mmmm...I am actually looking at a Honda Accord Sedan.

(....and the Eclipse GS only has 162 hp ? mmmm...quite similar to a Mazda 3 sedan).

Hey, I am a reasonable person and I don't expect the Eclipse to have similar gas mileage, build quality, reliabililty or the resale value as a Honda Accord Sedan,....I just hope that they will sell them at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    You dont read reviews very well. ;)

On the new Avalon, C/D has stated that "The Avalon has abandoned its Japanese Buick spot for a position in the Sports Dept." and "This thing has moves".

Aside from that, my point wasnt that people are cross shopping the Avalon and Eclipse, as Im sure they arent. Duh. My point is that the Eclipse GT comes across as a pretty pathethic sports car when a full size passenger sedan weighs but 20lbs more, is faster, brakes similarly, and has very similar adhesion limits. (All this while being able to carry more people and acheiving significantly better fuel efficiency).

I could have also used the Nissan Maxima to prove my point, as that vehicle actually weighs less than the Eclipse and also outperforms it.

All Im thinking is.... this is the vehicle thats going to save Mitsubishi? Dont think so.

~alpha
  • Options
    I agree with your last line Alpha, but as for the rest, it's just safron-robed Toyota hugging (with a touch of Nissan kow-tow for good measure).

I read plenty well. Two reviews that say "nice - big improvement, but, like, yawn". Paraphrase of course.

You want to compare the car, do so to another two-door with a V6 at $26K+. Thus far, the reviews on the Eclipse are that it drives as a GT should, even though the torque-steer intrudes and the bias is to the nose.

No, it won't save Mitsu. I think Mitsu USA is toast at this point. And being a Mitsu fan, I'm bummed. This is a company with resources and impressive engineering know-how whose management has let it down in a way only GM could possibly eclipse, so to speak. Too bad.

Avalon. Sheesh...
    [-P
  • Options
    Just dont get why you cant admit that its pretty sad that two biggish 5 passenger vehicles are the equal of this 'sports car' in most objective measures of performance.....

~alpha
  • Options
    As a Mitsu fan, I am also very disappointed with the new Eclipse myself. Instead of comparing the top-of-the-line Eclipse GT with other sports cars, it is sad that we are comparing its spec & performance with full size / 5 passenger sedans (such as Toyota Avalon, Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, etc....).

Weighting over 3500 lbs, front wheel drive & a weight distribution of 65 -35,....the design of the 2006 Eclipse is primitively "sedan-like" & shamefully far from the league of modern sports car.

Although I like the Eclipse new handsome look....deep inside, it is no more than a crude sedan with 2 doors missing (& very small back seats).

The brake recall & dealer mark-up add to my disappointment.