Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Owners Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• erinnzoomserinnzooms Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, KarenS, for this thread.
    I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute LX as of yesterday. Yay! I love it. This forum is invaluable to me. Glad I found it.
  • boyceboyce Member Posts: 48
    My wife got this vehicle Oct 3. So far she is extremely happy with it. No problems noted, everthing working as advertised. Got the 6CD and she really likes it. The V6 is smooth and suits our driving style perfectly. About 350 miles so far.

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

• fries1fries1 Member Posts: 12
    I live in Saskatachewan Canada (about 1000 miles str. north of Denver) and my 07 Escape came with a block heater so dont let them tell you its not available. You may want to consider an inline hose engine heater, theyre usually substantially cheaper to install and they seem to work as good as the factory heater. My Escape has worked flawlessly so far in weather as cold as -30 and seems to heat up fairly quickly.
  • cootietumcootietum Member Posts: 1
    First thing the morning - the car starts but idles low and seems like it's going to run out of fuel. Changed the IAC valve. No change. I don't think it would be the fuel pump or regulator. The intake was off this summer to replace #1 coil. Could there be a leak at the intake. If anyone has had the same problem, please let me know. Thanks. No other problems -YET!
  • luvmyescape1luvmyescape1 Member Posts: 4
    hi! own 2002 escape xlt,2005 tribute and just bought 2008 escape ltd.really love the size,utility of them. i tow pwc and 20'seadoo jetboat,loaded up fuel,etc 3500 lbs no problem,go 4 miles to/from launch site.added a transm cooler at u-haul(50$plus 60$labor)on the '05 tribute.2002 and 2005 have a transm cooler but felt better adding more cooling.the 2008 hasNO external trans cooler so i'll go heavyduty cooler(larger unit).You gotta add the moonroof deflector and it gets real quiet.All are 3.0v-6 4wd models.you 'll love the 200!
    May 13, My wife was driving the Trib and got caught in a flash flood. Visibility was poor and she got off I-49 at the wrong exit. While attempting to get back on she drove into an underpass into about 5 ft. water. She said she could not see the water before hitting it. Trib is seven months old so we are insured and Mazda road service towed it to dealer at no charge. The dealer determined the engine is bad and insurance has okayed the repair as well new carpet and padding. Thank goodness she didn't open the doors so only a little water got into the front floorboard. Dealer ordered the replacement engine and it went backorder. Does anyone know why this engine would be in short supply? I understand that it is a Ford engine, 3.0 V6 Thanks in advance for any inputs. Bud

• pleasdenpleasden Member Posts: 2
    Hey gang. Proud owner of a new HEV FWD Tribute here in California. No complaints so far, great car, great fuel economy. Nice to meet you all!!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    IF its back ordered, its probably because the Escape/Mariner/Tribute where the only products left using that version of the 3.0L Duratec AND for 2009 they will be using a different version that the plant is probably already shifted over to producing since 2009 Escapes are expected shortly.

Glad no one was hurt and GL with your repair.

Mark.
    Thanks for your reply. Never thought of that. You are definitely right , thank God no one was hurt. Got word today that new engine was received at dealership and they will start on it Wed of this week. Thanks again. Bud

• adeckeradecker Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everybody,
    I have a 2001 Tribute with 110,000 miles on it, and haven't had a single problem with it...until now. I'm having trouble shifting, and the dealership says the problem doesn't appear to be the clutch, so they're going to have to tear the transmission apart to find out what's wrong. Here's my quandry-do I spend $2,500 to fix a 7 year old car with 110,000 miles on it, or junk it while it's still relatively young? How long do Tributes usually last, and has anyone had major problems with them once they pass 100,000 miles? I'd appreciate your input.
    Thanks!
    Annie
  • candacefcandacef Member Posts: 1
    My advice, Get rid of it as soon as possible. My 02 Tribute has been in the shop for 33 days. Complete engine failure on the Highway. Very scary! I am now on my third computer and Ford does not want to honor the warranty on the parts or labor. Something keeps blowing out the computers. They do not know what the problem is. They have called Mazda for technical support and they are just real sorry...I guess I will have to plant flowers in mine. Ford and Mazda know about this and they do not care. This is a dangerous vehicle. I have read over 100 reviews with similar problems. Some people have had to tow their Mazdas back in the yard. I have know idea what to do. Some people have had to replace the engine. I will never buy Ford or Mazda again. They do not stand behind their product.
  • nastyman1nastyman1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey I'm Flick, I own a '01 Escape xlt 4wd, 5spd, 4 cyl. I Love it to death Its got 129k miles on it. The only issue I had in the time I've owned it is spiratic idle. New tps, and its good as gold expecting several more years of continued use. I live in Michigan so rust is inevitable but as far as that goes a little body work on the rear quarters and she'll be right as rain. I have been raised on Ford, and have been true to my heritage
    I had a similar problem on my 01 Escape, The shift cables were starting to seize. Three years ago they cost about $170 with labor it should be about $250. I ordered them and the day before they came in my cables broke I thought it was the transmition, so I had it towed. It was the cables, and instead of the $170 and 30 minutes to do it my self payed over $300 to include the tow. Anyway I suggest you have the cables checked it may be in your best interest.
    have your alternator tested
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    .........since I visited the Escape chat board. I am thinking of buying an 08 4x4 XLT leftover but not sure if I should get the 2.3 or the 3.0. I gave my oldest son my 01 Escape 4x4 XLT V6 a year ago. It has roughly 140,000+ miles and still runs great. I want to buy a commuter vehicle and I'm not sure if the 2.3 is a better commuter or go with the V6 like my 01. I do way too many highway miles to even consider the hybrid. I see the 09's have a 2.5 with a 6 speed auto, but I hate to leave $3,750K on the table that Ford's offering me. How many miles do you think I can get out of the 2.3 before I have any trouble? I push 100 mile commute everyday, mostly highway.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I'd feel like a sitting duck every time I tried to merge. Even the 3.0 is not speedster.

Very min fuel econ gain for big time performance loss.

Personally I feel the 2.3L isn't even close to being able to handle the weight of the FWD, let alone the 4WD.

Mark.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I took the 2.3 again for a second ride and I agree there just wasn't enough pop for the highway. I choose the 3.0 and took the $3750 from Ford. My dealer sold me the 08 XLT for $200 over invoice ontop of Ford's cash rebates. I may take a 09 2.5 for a ride next President's Day when they are offering rebates on the 09's. Until then I will use Ford's money on the gas and enjoy the extra gas money for my 5.4 Shelby.
    Been a while since I've been on. Got my Trib back from dealer in July. They kept it for almost 2 months. (Trib had been caught in a flash flood and it killed the engine.) Had minor interior damage, carpet had to be replaced. They replaced engine and torque convertor. Aug. 8th started my much delayed vacation. Traveled from Louisiana to coastal NC. Overall put about 3000 miles round trip. No mechanical problems during the trip. Averaged about 24-25 mpg. Did have one problem on the trip some truck dropped some sheet metal on the road and of course we ran over it. Had to replace a tire, but the Trib performed fine. Bud

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    how are you feeling aboutthe next few days?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Not looking forward to it. We are in Bossier City in the Northwest corner of the state, maybe we won't get hit too hard. There is a possibility of 65 mph winds and possibly 9-10 inches of rain. Luckily our home is not in a flood prone area. Thanks for asking. Bud

• j84j84 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 04 Ford Escape XLT 4wd in June 07 with 44K miles on it. I have put 20K+ problem free miles on it. It is gold with tan leather, sunroof, side airbags,premium sound system :). Heated seats and radio controls on steering wheel would be nice. I'm get about 19 MPG in Town and 25MPG Hwy. I would love to trade for an 08 Escape or Tribute.
  • abide01abide01 Member Posts: 3
    hello, i'm dave. bought mine oct,07. it has been great, all around, also i use premium gas, shell is my preference, but will use bp if nessecary. also use shell oil. noticed an increase of about 1 mpg more using shell oil, not much, but any little bit helps. have not had a chance to try out 4x4 yet, but looking forward to it. :shades:
  • cherrilucherrilu Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Ford Escape which I LOVE. Unfortunately the transmission is starting to go so I started looking for something to replace it. I found a 2002 Mazda Tribute which is a lot like my Escape only has more toys and bigger tires so it feels bigger. I need to decide by Wed. that's 2 days if I want it... I like the looks, the toys, the similarity to my Escape, which gets good gas mileage for an SUV.
    Who thinks I could be happy in a 2002 Tribute? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    cherrilu in MA
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    If you love your Escape so much why not replace your tranny with a Ford remanufactured transmission? Ford offers 3yr/100,000 mile warranty on their reman trannys. If you give me the last 8 numbers of your VIN I can provide you with true list price and part number for the replacement tranny if you wish.
    Looking at a 2002 Tribute. Will 16 in. tires make a difference as far as gas mileage? My 2001 Escape (15 in. tires) gets 18mpg around town and up to 25 on the highway.. Can I expect the same or better from the Tribute with bigger tires?
    Thanks again,
    cherrilu :)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Shouldn't make any difference. As the diameter of the wheel increased to 16 in., the sidewall height of the tire decreased so the overall tire and rim size is approx. the same Do both vehicles have the same engine configuration? That is are both 4 cyl. or is one a V6 and the other a 4?
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease. They are both V6. Would you guess the mileage will change with the newer Tribute?
    Thanks again
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    If the engine is tuned properly and has approx. the same mileage as the Escape there shouldn't be much difference at all.
    The mileage is half as much as the Escape. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out.
    Thanks for your help
  • barfeningjodibarfeningjodi Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 Tribute that I loved until about a month ago when my paint starting *literally* falling off :(. My looking in another forum it seems there are a few of us this has happened too (both Escape & Tribute). I'm wondering if those who have had issues couldn't help each other somehow? Anyone interested please check out this other forum posting link title
    ">link title
This discussion has been closed.