Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MazdaSpeed3: Styling Impressions

15678911»

Comments

• daniel99daniel99 Member Posts: 13
    Does Mazda provide a website to search for car details by VIN?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Any suggestions on the best way to negotiate an extended warranty with a dealer, if possible, considering I'm willing to pay msrp on the Speed3? I keep my cars 7+ years, and think it would be good to have....

It's tough to give advice for negotiating a warranty given that there are loads of warranty's out there by various companies. However, if you do purchase a warranty, make sure it is a manufacturer backed warranty, for example, I sell "Easy Care" which is a Mazda backed warranty.

If you keep your cars 7+ years, maybe go for a 7yr-85K mile warranty (they are not too expensive) or 8yr-100K (again, not too expensive.)
  • swatson19dswatson19d Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the advice... Already made a deposit on a Cosmic Blue GT MS3 w/Nav, but the dealer and I haven't discussed final pricing, other than not more than MSRP.
    I pick up my car in early December, and hope some of the hype has subsided by then so I can better negotiate on these extras.
  • seanwms6seanwms6 Member Posts: 121
    Got the call today, my car is at the dealer and will be ready for my inspection on Monday! Glad I didn't wait to get a GT on S-plan. I think I'll be perfectly happy with a Sport now. I'll share initial impressions with you all as soon as I have some.
    My first one is at the port, waiting to be shipped.
    According a Mazda customer service email, mine arrived at port on the 2nd. It got to the dealer Saturday, so that was about two weeks for the port work and shipping. But that involved a train ride before transfer to a truck which yours probably won't since the port and your store are in NJ, right?
    Okay, sat in the car (CB Sport) today at the dealer and fired it up. Haven't paid for it yet and had the kids with me so no test drive, yet. Sounds good, rumbly just like in the vids, but by no means loud. Interior room is fine. Fit and finish is the same as the MS6. No one-touch up/down windows, which I've gotten used to but can live without. Stereo sounds a little thin, but again, I can live without the Bose. I'll use it for awhile and maybe upgrade at some point. I was gonna take pix but the damn thing was apparently parked right off the truck and hadn't been detailed yet. 9 miles on the odometer, which is exactly what my MS6 had on it. It has a sign saying "Sold, do not drive!" The salesman says only tech has driven it and it had mud on the turned over floor mat to prove it. CB looks good, definitely blue and not gray in sunlight. Fair amount of flake, enough so it could have been called CB Mica. A good change of pace from grey/silver/red/black and adds to sleeper status.

I got to tell you, though, sitting there undetailed among other cars of various sizes, I think the market for this car will be limited to people looking for an inexpensive performance car. It's a sleeper with almost no cues that it is more than a regular 3. If I were a dealer, I'd forget about "market adjustments". This is not a car that will sell on sales sizzle, IMHO. If you can bide your time and wait for discounts or S-Plan, I'd do that. And get the GT if you want those extra touches and can afford them. But, if it performs as well as everybody is saying and has the aftermarket (Corky is on the case!) to turn it into a true FWD badass (which I fully expect), then it is a gift from Mazda to us as enthusiasts. I plan to enjoy it to the fullest extent possible and for many years. Maybe I'll even pass it on to my son if it lasts that long.

Driving impressions to follow in 1-2 days!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Thanks for the info! Now that this is going to hit the streets, I've changed the title of this old "future" discussion. For the "first drives" discussion, be sure to visit the Mazda3 Group and check out the discussion list - feel free to create some of your own!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Umm, seeing as how the Speed3 STYLING is really not all that different from the regular Mazda3, why a whole thread devoted to Speed3 Styling?

I can't even remember much in the way of past discussion on Speed3 styling...

Why not just combine this thread and the "First Drives" thread into a single thread "First Impressions" thread? As it is, you've already got 3 seperate Speed3 theads going in here (plus another one on the "Future Vehicles" board).
    I guess it would help if I had read your earlier post a little closer.

I see now that you had moved this discussion from the "Future Vehicles" board over here. whoops..... :blush:
  • tunerstuners Member Posts: 3
    It looks like as soon as my car arrives in late November I need to start thinking about winter tires. We don't get huge amounts of snow in Philly but enough to make it crazy to try and drive around after a snow fall with summer performance tires.
    I did a quick check and I didn't see much available for that tire size that weren't seriously expensive. i wasn't planning on a major expenditure so soon after getting the car.

Any suggestions?
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 8
    Many of us in the same boat. Best solution is to go with 17" rims and tires as a long term investment. Only problem is getting official word on what 17" rims will fit. Tirerack doesn't have the info, so at best it's word of mouth once an owner tries to fit a new rim. If you succeed, report it here!
    Best solution is to go with 17" rims and tires as a long term investment. Only problem is getting official word on what 17" rims will fit.

If it is any help, fitting 17"s on the MS6 worked. I believe the Mazdaspeed3 uses the same brake system. 16"s are too small, the brake calipers get in the way.
  • dirtywildkatdirtywildkat Member Posts: 2
    "This is not a car that will sell on sales sizzle, IMHO. If you can bide your time and wait for discounts or S-Plan, I'd do that"

Wrong! There are only going to be 5,000 of these produced in North America and only 250 In Canada... do not hold your breath for dealer discounts, there will be no Factory rebates... and Dealers don't even have to honor an S-Plan, participation is voluntary.... especially on a limited car like this... if you get a chance.. BUY THIS CAR NOW! Can't find a better performing car for the money, period.
  • seanmsiiiseanmsiii Member Posts: 14
    If the sales are that hot, it'll be like the chip commercial with Jay Leno: "Don't worry, we'll make more."
    and Dealers don't even have to honor an S-Plan, participation is voluntary.... especially on a limited car like this

True, dealers do not have to honor S-Plan for any vehicle, however, S-Plan is not even being offered by Mazda on the Mazdaspeed3.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    If the sales are that hot, it'll be like the chip commercial with Jay Leno: "Don't worry, we'll make more."

Could you explain how?? The Mazda3 can't meet worldwide demand now, how can they make more?
    "Could you explain how?? The Mazda3 can't meet worldwide demand now, how can they make more?"

I think he was referring specifically to the Speed3 and not the Mazda3.

And if the profit margin is higher on the Speed3, it would make sense (to me anyway) to SHIFT production to more Speed3 cars and fewer non-Speed Mazda3 hatches.
    What Rorr said, if it's even necessary to take any production away from the 3. But if they can't meet demand for the regular 3, there's a way to deal with that: increase prices. Are they even selling the 3's at MSRP? I think they're selling most of the MS3 at MSRP.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Edmunds' article on the new Audi S3 reveals telling similarities and differences to the Mazdaspeed3. Interesting to see how both tone down the differences from their regularly aspirated twins. The Audi is astonishingly double the price of the Mazda.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=117203?tid=edmunds.il.ho- -
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Tirerack now has the 07 3 with 17" rims on there. Just checked it out today.
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 8
    That's the base Mazda3, not the Mazdaspeed unfortunately.
  • solipsismsolipsism Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my canadian speed3 in edmonton over the weekend. Didnt really have any plan, just sort of bought it.

Anyhow im debating on whether or not to put winters on the current rims and just upgrade to aftermarket rims in the summer like i had already planned to, or get 17" mags and throw some 17s on there. At the dealership the service manager said 17s would be no problem.

This is the part numbers he quoted me at:

Wheels-mag SR17705000S
    Tires 00MI-23-641 (215/50R17)

The tires are Mich. X-Ice.

Since i live 500km north of edmonton Im just going to purchase them here in McMurray.

By the way i just barely got away with this car. The first salesmen i talked to said the car was sold and that i would have to wait until spring to get the next 250 coming into canada. When I came back later to check it out to see if i liked the styling/interior after I talked to another salesmen saying that vancouver owed him one. I asked yet another salesmen at the current dealership about how come the car was sitting in the showroom if it had been sold. He said the guy put a small downpayment on but would require a larger one due to credit. So I hurriedly purchased the car.

Anyway, The first 250 in Canada (true-red only) were divided among approx. ~225 Mazda dealerships, and I have heard that 8 of them were sold in Edmonton alone. I imagine the majority will be sold in western canada, as there is a lot of money here. Not saying that they are expensive, just that the demand is probably higher. With the rate they are selling at, I could see Mazda bringing it in as a more regular seller, but as my knowledge of this is lacking it is no more then a guess. I kind of hope they dont, since its a little exclusive, but most people just mistake it for a plain Mazda3 anyway.

I am dissappointed with a few things in the car. Such as we dont get the leather trim seats, not heated either as far as I can tell. My door was also out of alignment, didnt notice this right away. And of course i would have liked the NAV and a sunroof and anohter colour then red and the forthcoming white. The blue or grey colour would have been more my taste.

Oh and driving on the secondary highways during the snowstorms saturday night on the Potenzas was seriously scary. My traction control light never stopped coming on for 4 hours. I had some doubt about purchasing this car to use in the North after that. Hopefully these tires should help.

Also anyone have any word on the perforance exhaust/CAI package they are coming out with? (Dealer installed)
  • ms3cbms3cb Member Posts: 1
    >>True, dealers do not have to honor S-Plan for any vehicle, however, S-Plan is not even being offered by Mazda on the Mazdaspeed3.

YES Ford Partner plan has the MazdaSpeed3 priced for S-plan.
    However, it is totally up to the dealer whether they will honor S-plan pricing. In the DC area I didn't find a dealer willing to do S-plan, and so far have only have seen one dealer that was adding a premium - $1995 on the MS3GT that was on the lot.
    The MS3 runs 18" wheels right?
  • pdldpdld Member Posts: 3
    Yes, tire size is 215/45/18.
    YES Ford Partner plan has the MazdaSpeed3 priced for S-plan.

You can price a Mazdaspeed3 at S-Plan, that is very easy. It is dealer invoice. However, S-Plan is NOT offered by Mazda. No Mazda dealer can file S-Plan on the Mazdaspeed3 and have Mazda accept it.

I am a Mazda dealer, and I am looking at the eligible products, and the Mazdaspeed3 is CLEARLY it it's own column under "restricted products"
  • ccduffccduff Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Xenon lights on the Speed 3 are projectors or reflectors?
    Projectors, available only on the Grand Touring as a factory option.
  • banibani Member Posts: 39
    16"s will fit the speed3.
    Has anyone polished and/or chromed their Speed3 rims? If so, any pictures? I have a Cosmic Blue MS3GT, and am thinking about doing something to them, or getting new wheels.
    Does anyone else think the foglights suck? Any way to improve their effectiveness - different bulbs maybe? Or aftermarket retrofit?
    I had a similar issues when i had a 2001 silverado. I measured up the opening and went to the accessory store. Found a nice set of PIAA three way lights (fog, driving and drl) that fit in same opening and was 100 times brighter. An option to look at.
    Thanks... I was leaning in that direction.... But was hoping there was a simple retrofit fix - Something that won't require too much modification. I'll contact a PIAA rep, and see if they have any ideas.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    polished? ok.

chromed? sorry, don't ever do this.
    I know, NOT chrome... I was thinking of polishing and clearcoating them for low maintenance. I'm also open to other wheels entirely - Any examples/ideas?
    Go to tirerack.com and the can show you your car in close to your color with many differant styles or rims and tires.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    what color is your three?

to me a nice set of five spokes would do the trick!
    I have a Cosmic Blue GT, and am looking for another set of wheels - something more unique. Anyone have pics of Speed3's that they've upgraded?
This discussion has been closed.